PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

StressMan79
03-21-2014, 05:17 PM
HELP!!!!

We have just purchased 40 acres of ridges & ravines, wanting to build a cabin within the year. Found out prices to get water, power & septic. Oh lord! What are some alternatives? Anybody Please?

You will find that buying electricity will be much cheaper, around 30cents/kWh to generate vs. 12 to buy. Plus you only have what you have. It doesn't make any sense to generate power for tools w/ pv. Your shop will be run by a generator.

But if you are like me and predict currency collapse, it will be much better to have an off grid home.

rocklock
03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
purchased 40 acres of ridges & ravines, wanting to build a cabin within the year. Found out prices to get water, power & septic. What are some alternatives?
There are many depending upon your life style.
Septic is not required if you have a composting toilet and a gray water system. Google humanure... It really doesn't smell. We have used something similar for our smaller site...
Drilling your own well is expensive no matter what, but if you have enough rain - snow you can collect water... In Hawaii this is fairly common. Water tanks are about a buck a gallon until you get past 1000 gal... I Hawaii 3500 gal tanks are fairly commom.
Solar and wind can work. If you have running water in those ravines, problem solved... I had to pay about 5 grand for local power. It was cheap. You can also power stuff with propane - Refrig and dryer for example... I bought my 250 gallon propane tank new for 900 bucks and paid $1.59 a gallon to fill it.

Remember, its life style that determines how expensive your infrastructure becomes.

About budgets, get your family discussions so everyone is agreed to a plan and everyone is working towards the same goal. Then the money will work out...

Berniebeee
03-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi,

My name is Bernie and I hail from Ottawa, Canada. I have always been interested in log houses and all sorts of things construction and renovation related. My mom has been living in a log home for the past ten years and has nothing but praise for log homes. I have been lurking for some time and finally decided to join in the fun here.

panderson03
03-22-2014, 11:33 AM
welcome Bernie. nice to hear from someone who's got colder winters than we do :)
we do members who've built in Canada. stick around!

logmike
03-29-2014, 05:47 AM
just signed up for may class with my son. looking to build upstate ny. anyone that has built or will be building in ny would like to hear from you thanks mike.

eagle
03-29-2014, 05:51 AM
just signed up for may class with my son. looking to build upstate ny. anyone that has built or will be building in ny would like to hear from you thanks mike.
What area exactly of NY?

rckclmbr428
03-29-2014, 07:02 AM
I have built one outside of rochester, NY. there are a good amount of members up there

StressMan79
03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
There are a good amount of members up there

Indeed there are, although I understand taxes will run you out of the state...

logmike
03-29-2014, 05:49 PM
taxes will be an issue when I start looking for land. I live in nyc so I will be looking for land within 3 hours of the city.dont want to spend all my time traveling

stuarty
03-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Booked for May. Got to be happy with that!

panderson03
04-01-2014, 05:36 AM
congrats on taking that huge first step, Stuarty:)

logmike
04-04-2014, 07:37 PM
any other new yorker's out there?

lilpony
04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Im eric
Im tired of living check to check. I want to buy a small piece of wooded land and axe my way to my own hand made log cabin with no building codes etc. For all they know im building a fort on my own property. Am in in the right place/forum?

eagle
04-06-2014, 04:24 AM
Logmike, we are going to build in the western NY area near Franklinville. Taxes may be high compared to other states but it is hard to beat the country and weather there. I live in Texas now and I just can't seem to picture a log cabin without snow. The rest of my family lives there so that is the reason I don't go to Colorado or a place like that.

WNYcabinplannin
04-12-2014, 04:28 AM
Log mike- there are several in west ny. I'm SE of Rochester, finger lakes area, Naples. Rush, Hamlin, more coming

logmike
04-17-2014, 02:14 PM
my son and I are excited couple of weeks,we will be in vegas.

panderson03
04-18-2014, 10:20 AM
:) whoo hoo! the time will fly by, Logmike :)

logmike
04-18-2014, 02:42 PM
wny cabin that area is great. iv been to the finger lakes wineries.just to far from primary residence to get away often. after class going to start looking in Delaware or green county to start.

kmandley
04-19-2014, 04:40 AM
Registered for May. Now if my schedule will just be stable enough to actually be able to attend!

panderson03
04-20-2014, 05:08 PM
welcome kmandley! glad you're here.

skitter12
04-22-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm attending the May class as well. Just booked my rooms for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, still haven't booked my flight but will shortly.

I plan to build on 28 acres in south Mississippi, atop a hill, a small creek nearby, which I plan to dam and build a large pond. Also have about 4 acres in a clearing perfect for a large garden, will have to fence it in to keep varmits out, even then it will be tough. I plan to build a 30X30 or 32X32 butt and pass 2 story cabin, with a small utility room hanging off the back.

Look forward to meeting all you May class attendees!
David

rckclmbr428
04-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Sounds great skeeter, welcome!

loghousenut
04-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Sounds great skeeter, welcome!

David, please forgive Ronnie Rcklmbr for the misspellt name... He's from back east somewhere and never learnt to properly read and write right. He'll claim it is the result of too many children and having to type on his phone. You'll learn to like him just the same.

Welcome aboard.

skitter12
04-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Nut, you ain't right! lol! While your here, here's a question. I've been designing some variation of my log cabin for a couple of years, using a software tool called Home Designer Suite. While it doesn't allow me to create all the supports and cross logs for 2nd floor supports, I've laid out my floor plan, including the loft and open to first floor area. I haven't tried to build a model, because I thought I should wait til the May course to learn what I don't know (which is a lot). What say you (and any others who want to add)? Give it try and bring it with me to class? Or wait?

btw, I've been awhile for a while, lurking and asking a question here and there, FINALLY got signed up for the class!

loghousenut
04-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Bring it along but keep it to yourself until that time during the second day where you suddenly say to yourself "Wait a minute... They have a plan package??!!!".

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/monkeythumb.gif (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Wow/monkeythumb.gif.html)

Cruiser
04-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Skitter,
Shoot me a pm when you get started on your build. I'm just up the road on the the north end of the state. Welcome aboard. You will love the class!

skitter12
04-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Will do Cruiser! I have family in Kosciusko so get up that way a good bit.

rocklock
04-25-2014, 01:14 PM
I plan to build on 28 acres in south Mississippi, atop a hill, a small creek nearby, which I plan to dam and build a large pond. Also have about 4 acres in a clearing perfect for a large garden, will have to fence it in to keep varmints out, even then it will be tough. I plan to build a 30X30 or 32X32 butt and pass 2 story cabin, with a small utility room hanging off the back.

I built a 31x31 with a walk out basement that has a 14x14 utility room and my shop (boat shop and armory) that is 15 by 30. A basement is very low cost sqft depending on many factors... And a walk out basement is very cool because you can also have a root cellar is the same basement if you plan it right.

OBTW, you can have a few of my beavers to do the dam building...

skitter12
04-28-2014, 06:45 AM
I've been in touch with Ronnie Wiley on some plans, he has some good looking cabins! I actually purchased a set for a small cabin. I think I am gonna go straight to the triple dog dare and build my retirement home instead or starting with a small cabin. Way things are going in this country I better hurry....

BoFuller
04-28-2014, 10:33 AM
I think I am gonna go straight to the triple dog dare and build my retirement home instead or starting with a small cabin. Way things are going in this country I better hurry....

My feelings exactly.

rreidnauer
04-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Eeyup .

Timber
04-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Triple dog dare...a Christmas story...one great movie classic

pepsi
05-01-2014, 11:27 AM
This is not an introduction, but I couldn't find a thread for quick questions. Do LHBA members usually install the plumbing and electrics themselves or do you let a professional do it?

skitter12
05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
I plan to install nearly all of both. I built a home in 2008 and did all the electrical, 90% of the plumbing, and nearly all the hvac (had help running the hard duct). What I hope to get out of the class are the tips to doing this work in a log home, and since I'll be on a raised floor the plumbing should be straightforward. Getting plumbing and hvac to the loft is where I need guidance. Even thought about a package unit so I run everything under the floor, then a duct running up to the loft to dump air there.

loghousenut
05-01-2014, 12:11 PM
We paid a plumber to do everything below the floor. We'll most likely do the rest.

The plumber recommended an electrician and I paid him way less than he was worth to come out and walk us though it all and kinda map out the circuits on our plans. He never cut a wire and yet was probably the best money spent on our build.

blane
05-01-2014, 12:19 PM
This is not an introduction, but I couldn't find a thread for quick questions. Do LHBA members usually install the plumbing and electrics themselves or do you let a professional do it?

Either way. I did all my own on both. I did have pros go over both with me and that helped a lot

packerfan
05-17-2014, 02:37 AM
Hello, went to the class back in 07. We picked up 10 acres in North central Idaho last summer and will break ground in a few weeks. We're in a county with no building codes! Planning on at least two possibly up to four cabins. I'll get lots of practice that way. I've been going back over all the teaching notes and reading all the posts so I'm excited to get started.

Robert

loghousenut
05-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Welcome home Robert.

rawson
05-17-2014, 12:37 PM
I'd guess the property is in Idaho County so FYI a link to permit info; http://idahocounty.org/commissioners/ordinances/8-building-permit-system/. Good luck and it is a great area.

K. Rawson

packerfan
05-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Actually Benewah county. Kind of getting back to my roots as I grew up in Coeur d' Alene.

rawson
05-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Actually Benewah county. Kind of getting back to my roots as I grew up in Coeur d' Alene.

You must have made a few trips from Sandy to your property a 300+ mile one way drive? I did the same thing for a year
from The Dalles, OR to this site. Good to see a "Cheesehead" fan locating to ID, cause the Pack will be back this season.

packerfan
05-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Right at 400 miles for us. Did most of my looking on the net to find the place. Second trip out we made an offer on the second piece we looked at. Be out there in a week to start ground work. And yes Pack fans are everywhere.

raftguide
06-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Howdy ya'll
My name is Richard,I attended the May 24 & 25 2014 class. will not start building for another 2 years. Will build in NC mountains outside of Asheville. Already have the land some tools and strong urge to do this. Liked the class glad I did it. Enjoying the forum and looking forward to learning from all of you. Due to another school I am currently living in the New Orleans area If anyone is building nearby I would like to help out and learn as my schedule allows. Steve and Mr. E it was great.

blane
06-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Howdy back atcha Richard, look me up when you get home. I am all but finished on my place so nothing going on I need help with but there are several others hard at it in the nearby area.
Blane

eagle
06-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Howdy ya'll
My name is Richard,I attended the May 24 & 25 2014 class. will not start building for another 2 years. Will build in NC mountains outside of Asheville. Already have the land some tools and strong urge to do this. Liked the class glad I did it. Enjoying the forum and looking forward to learning from all of you. Due to another school I am currently living in the New Orleans area If anyone is building nearby I would like to help out and learn as my schedule allows. Steve and Mr. E it was great.
Welcome, Richard. I spent a few weeks in the Asheville area 3 years ago with all those storms doing insurance work. very pretty area.

Mosseyme
06-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Raftguide,
What rivers?
We are midwayish between Nantahala and Ocoee and not that far from Chatuge

ncgator
06-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi Richard,

Welcome to the LHBA family. We are starting on our build just outside Franklin (Cowee Mtn area).

raftguide
06-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome, congrats to you for the start good luck, now I really wish I were home would love to help!! Please keep me posted when there maybe I can help

raftguide
06-12-2014, 10:25 PM
I worked the Ocoee for 12 years and have been on many of the rivers around there. the Nantahala, Nolichuky,Lower Green, French Broad,

skitter12
06-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Raftguide, I was in class with you! I sat in the middle behind the nice couple from Alaska! I'm just north of New Orleans, Carriere, MS. I plan to start building a log shed as practice very soon. Send me a note if you are still in the area! Help peel a log or too and I'll grill steaks or kabobs for everyone helping!
David

raftguide
06-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Hello David, Yes I remember you how is it going? I am still in NOLa, will be on the boat at work until end of July. May have some time in Aug. or Sept to help and would like to do so. Please keep in touch and maybe I can get over for a visit then. Thanks

Richard

corax50
06-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Hello
Not sure if I'm getting this in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF section or not but was interested to see if anybody is building or has built butt/pass cabin in my area. Took Skip's course back in Feb 1984 and almost built several times, have helped several others but finally looks like I might have time to build this summer. Was planning on a trapper style small cabin (12' x 16') with a porch and loft- nothing fancy but I'm right on the highway so you could say a spec cabin to sell this Fall. Logs here are White Spruce and not very big- I'm going with smaller logs because they are abundant and easy to place on the wall while building(5"-7"diam.). I'm in an earthquake area too so I thought after walls are up I'd go with conventional building(Home Depot!) for roof to make it lighter and quick to put up. Metal roof, plywood floor, rough cut boards for loft. Slider vinyl windows & Home Depot door. Well maybe a home made rough cut door if I have time- got to get it up for sale before the snow flies. Trying to keep selling price under $10K. Something somebody can stick on their property and live in til they build a real home.
Anyway if anybody out there lives within a few hundred miles of the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska let me know. On another note I have about 50 logs cut, peeled, racked and turned for several years- they have turned quite dark. Was going to try a pressure washer & some pyrex to see if I could lighten them. Otherwise I'm looking at sanding them. Got any other ideas- I'm open to suggestion.
James Knox
Ninilchik, AK

corax50
06-15-2014, 11:44 PM
That was pyrex, not pyrex! Is there a way to edit your profile or post? JK

corax50
06-15-2014, 11:46 PM
That is purex not pyrex

loghousenut
06-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Corax, Get registered and come over to the members side. Then you will be able to edit your posts and it'll look like you gained 50 IQ points... It worked for me! The pressure washing will clean up the logs nicely and then you may or may not want to try some bleach. I'd say, if the logs are still good and sound, stack them and then clean them up. That place will go up pretty quickly and it might be a moneymaker. If nothing else, it may get the Skip juices flowing enough to force you into building your dream home.

I took the course in 1981 and am now building my 35x35. It's a blast.

PS.... You woulda thought I was an idiot if you coulda read what I posted before I deited.... Register!

skitter12
06-16-2014, 04:46 PM
"I took the course in 1981 and am now building my 35x35. It's a blast."--loghousenut
LHN, WE NEED PICTURES!

corax50
06-16-2014, 11:37 PM
loghousenut

Thanx for the advice. LOL. My spell corrector messed me up TWICE! Used to live in Ukiah- fought forest fires for the feds there a couple years. Sure loved that dry eastern Oregon country. Lived at a private hot spring resort called Hid-a-way Hot Springs. It was near the better known Lehman Hot Springs.

I filled the form and submitted it last night to register. I'd really like to get others interested up here in Skip's butt/pass design as it is such an easy way to build compared with full scribe Scandinavian chinkless. Like Skip used to say 'If you can chew gum & tie your own shoes- you can build a log cabin." How many stories- your 35x35? And what type of logs? How far along are you? You've got dang near 5000 posts on here! I think I have a little over 5. Well- see you on the other side (if they like me......there might be an IQ entry level......in which case I'm sunk!)...keep your spud in the bark- Corax

raftguide
06-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Hello NC gator, Hey I was wondering what species of wood you are using for your cabin and did you try to get them over at the Nantahala NF.
Richard

raftguide
06-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Hey Blane, How are things in Clyde? What type of logs did you use for your build and where did you get them? I have seen several other folks in here that are building and hope that I will be able to help a bit

Richard

blane
06-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi Richard,
I used white pine that I got from Brevard from a logger that he actually logged from the Pisgah National forest. My blog shares a lot of the details of our build including finding logs. Lots of loggers here in WNC and lots of white pine which I would say is the preferred species on the east coast.

raftguide
06-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Hey Blane, thankyou so much for all of the input I was wondering about Pisgah also very good to know. As time goes on I would like to get with you and get more info. right now due to school and being out of the area, head and schedule very full. That is just awesome!!!!!! I must tell you the more of this forum I read the better all of this gets. Ok all for now Thanks again.

raftguide
06-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Hello Eagle, Thanks for the welcome, yes Ashevegas is ok anyday. That is some commute you have there Texas to NY.

raftguide
06-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Hey Mosseyme, where are you I know that part of the world a bit. What species of log did you use and where did you get them? If I may?

akloghomes
07-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Hello all,
My name is Keith and I've been a long time reader on this site (about 12 years) and building a log home has been a dream of mine since childhood (Lincoln-logs). I knew one day I'd be taking the class, just didn't know when. But searching the site today, I saw that for 2014, LHBA was honoring military with free membership so this has made my day today and now I'm registered for the August class. Thank you LHBA!!! I look forward to getting to know people with same vision in life. I am currently moving to Alaska where I hope to have a retirement log home as long as I can convince my beautiful wife that "it's not that cold in Alaska", as she is from the Philippines and thinks that 75 degrees is cold. We also plan on building in Philippines if possible. Glad to be apart of the LHBA group.

loghousenut
07-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Welcome aboard Keith. You know, it's not a free lunch. You still have to pay your way to Vegas and get to class on time.

And then there's that time in the military thing... but I guess you already did that. Thanks.

akloghomes
07-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks LHN, yep I've already purchased tickets and made hotel res...thanks for all your input on the forum, I've read a lot of what you have said. Great stuff.

JimmerQ
09-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Hello!

I found this site last week, and I'm really excited to learn more about this. My name is Jimmer (technically James or Jim, but my friends call me Jimmer). My wife and I will be moving soon, and have been entertaining the prospect of building a small log cabin as our (hopefully) forever home. Looking forward to digging through the forum for tips and information.

loghousenut
09-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Welcome Mr. Q... Dig as much as you like but it will all really come together once you take the class and get to the members side of the forums.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020510_zpsb11984ec.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020510_zpsb11984ec.jpg.html)

Tankbird
09-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Jumping in here rather than make another thread in the Members forum. I'm Leah! After six (seven? more?) years of wanting to take the class, finally budgeted and went to Vegas last weekend. Took lots of notes so I could teach my husband everything I learned. What a phenomenal class! Can't wait to move forward.

loghousenut
09-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Why do women always think they can teach a husband anything? Never has happened in my household!

Glad you finally made the class, Leah.

Mrs. Len
09-07-2014, 09:35 PM
My name is Lori and I am married to Len. He took Skip Ellsworth's class in 1984, we believe, as that was the date in an old photo album of his first log home. Len is currently building a utility log cabin and next year, he will be building our log home! He used to be a Millwright, before he was in an accident. After that, he opened his own small business, offering machining, fabrication, and welding services. Earlier this year, we bought 5.1 acres in Sequim, WA, and Len temporarily closed his business. I am a Realtor and will work for the income needed, while Len is working on the property. Our current home, is a motorhome, and we are living on the property while we build. We moved 11 of our fruit trees from our last property and 6 of them still bore fruit (they were all in bloom while moved...used an excavator moving them with as much of the rootballs/soil as possible). Len is "old school" and works every day, unless I snag him for a hike, day trip, out on the motorcycle...

Any who are even thinking about building a log home, should take the class! I am hoping to myself.

jaws
09-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

Finally getting to go to class this Feb 2015!!! Have been waiting almost 14 years to go, but was busy raising my son, who is in the Marines, and now have the time to go learn how to build my dream home.

Hope I can find about 5 acres of land in Vancouver Washington or in Clark county. Could anyone give me some advice on books/websites to study up on so I'm as prepared as possible for the class? I done allot of research and every book I've found they want you to notch the logs. It's almost like no one has ever heard of the Butt and Pass method.

~Jeff

loghousenut
09-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Glad you have a Semper Fi to go to class with!

wannabuild
09-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Hello from Northern BC,Canada.
Wow, never thought there was a different way to put up a log home except the notch style.
So easy to get lost in the magazines who only show one way.
Hopefully in the next 3-5 yrs Myself and my Wife will start on our own place.
And yes we will take the course some time in the future

Eric

panderson03
09-14-2014, 05:22 AM
welcome, Eric! glad you found us.
we stumbled upon LHBA completely by accident while looking for ways to build a log home affordably!
I agree with you; those magazines seem to be very biased toward a particular look... maybe because its those kit homes who are paying for all their advertising:(
while you wait to take the class read up on the public side of this forum; after class you'll have access to the members side; an unbelievable amt of info there!

Aden416
10-20-2014, 07:40 PM
I typically enjoy my anonymity but here goes. My name is Larry and I have dreamt of building my own cabin since the early 2000's when my wife and I rented one for a weekend getaway. I've followed the forums off and on for many years and while I don't know any of you personally, many of you already feel like long time friends. I finally pulled the trigger on the class and will be attending in February 2015. My wife may go crazy before then as I make at least one comment about it daily. My plan at present is to prepare for land acquisition in the next 3-5 years and then prepare to live onsite in a mobile home or travel trailer while building.

Work has brought me to SoCal recently and it's a very nice place... To visit. My wife loves it, my kids have adapted wonderfully. It simply does not feel permanent to me. I haven't decided where my perfect place may be but I suspect it will include mountains and affordable land. Hope I can find a source of income in that type of location as my current line of work is typically near major metropolitan areas.

Last thing for now, thank you to all of the members that make the dream seem possible. Seeing pictures of your builds and reading your stories truly inspires...

loghousenut
10-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Glad to meet an old friend, Larry. You''ll be in class on my 61st birthday. Have a big chunk of cake for me... l'm on a diet.

Ron

blane
10-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi Larry,
Come to the east coast in WNC. You might find work in Asheville, not a big place but not too small. Plus lots of LHBA family out here

wiracer24
10-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Hello everyone
New to the Forum as I was just doing research on building a log cabin. I will be needing to replace the current cabin next year. This site intrigued me enough to sign up for the class.

Paul from Racine, WI
U.P. build.

panderson03
10-22-2014, 04:49 PM
welcome to the family, Paul:)

Blondie
10-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Welcome, Aden!

I lurked for several years before I signed up for the open blog. Wow, so you signed up to take the class....hahaha Change your life, it will. I didn't think it had changed mine. I was very wrong.

Blondie

Blondie
10-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Welcome Wannabuild,

I too had never thought or heard of butt and pass. I was absolutely mad for saddle notch hand crafted. Could not think of another way to go...I read this site several times before I finally admitted that I may have been wrong.....Lolol

Blondie

Blondie
10-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Welcome wiracer,

The class is a very changing occurrence are you really ready for it? Lolol you will have the time of your life.!!!!

Blondie

rreidnauer
10-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone
New to the Forum as I was just doing research on building a log cabin. I will be needing to replace the current cabin next year. This site intrigued me enough to sign up for the class.

Paul from Racine, WI
U.P. build.
Well that was quick!

Patrick W
10-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Hello all my name is Patrick W,I have always loved log cabins and just started my search,and omg i can not believe the prices of the kits.I found this forum by mistake,and sure glad i did.I never realized that people wore building this way,i thought it was all kits.What a wealth of information these threads contain.Looking forward to learning and contribute any way i can.

rreidnauer
10-25-2014, 03:56 PM
You found your way here like may others before you Patrick. Welcome to the party.

Blondie
10-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Patrick,
If you choose to take the class you will find encyclopediaS of information and support on the member pages.

Blondie

jasonfromutah
10-27-2014, 05:35 AM
Kits are a rip-off. Glad you found this site. The same thing happened to me years ago.

Patrick W
10-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Kits are a rip-off. Glad you found this site. The same thing happened to me years ago.

Your not kidding i almost dropped dead when i saw the prices.These pictures i have seen the members post are amazing.

jasonfromutah
10-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Your not kidding i almost dropped dead when i saw the prices.These pictures i have seen the members post are amazing.

They (kits) advertise the cost of the "shell". People mistake this as a complete finished build cost. Or, believe that the shell is the majority of the cost. You can stack your own logs and build a build a well insulated, over engineered roof for a lot less!

spiralsands
10-27-2014, 12:29 PM
My sister has a kit house in Sanford, Florida. She has to have it tented every couple of years. It's Florida, after all. Also, hers is built on a a slab because no basements in FL.

loghousenut
10-27-2014, 12:45 PM

Pictures??? What good are photos? Get out there and touch one... You'll see.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/NeilatHouse3-2011008_zps5ce779a0.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/NeilatHouse3-2011008_zps5ce779a0.jpg.html)

Patrick W
10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
My sister has a kit house in Sanford, Florida. She has to have it tented every couple of years. It's Florida, after all. Also, hers is built on a a slab because no basements in FL.

Hi swhpiralsands,I am a former New Yorker from Long Island,I used to have property in the adirondacks.I assume she was getting all sorts of bugs in here house.Since moving to Florida 9 years ago i have seen such a variety of bugs(big enough to carry you away).

PS Iam not retired only 43

Patrick W
10-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Pictures??? What good are photos? Get out there and touch one... You'll see.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/NeilatHouse3-2011008_zps5ce779a0.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/NeilatHouse3-2011008_zps5ce779a0.jpg.html)

only one word"AMAZING"

spiralsands
10-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Hi swhpiralsands,I am a former New Yorker from Long Island,I used to have property in the adirondacks.I assume she was getting all sorts of bugs in here house.Since moving to Florida 9 years ago i have seen such a variety of bugs(big enough to carry you away).

PS Iam not retired only 43

I am a returned New Yorker from Long Island after living in various areas of the Southwest and 20 years in Florida. I moved to Syracuse almost 4 years ago to get closer to the land I bought in the Adirondack foothills.

Yes, there are a lot of problems with bugs, mold and mildew in FL. She gets those ground termites and carpenter bees. I used to have to power wash the mold and moss off my siding, sidewalks and driveway twice a year. My Florida homeowner's insurance was raised to 3.5K the last year I was there. I only had a 1250 sq ft block house too. Here in NY my insurance on a much nicer house is only 600 bucks.

Jonathan
10-28-2014, 03:08 AM
Hi Everyone, I am new to the Forum, my name's Jonathan and I live in the UK. I am hoping to come to Vegas in Feb 2015 for the next class and I plan to build a home here starting next year. I am all ears for any good advice - I have fabrication and building experience but not using timbers of this size!!! Do you know of any other UK guys who have attended and subsequently built over here?

sdart
10-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Hello Jonathan and welcome,
There have been a few UK members in my memory-- at least one from Scotland and others from England. They may have posted on the members side, though, not on the public forum. As far as I know, however, they have not followed it up with photos! Or at least I don't remember any. I'll have a look on the members side and let you know if I find anything that I have forgotten. We're in Cornwall at the moment :) but only on holiday, recovering from the building season in north Idaho.

Sarah

me_preston
11-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi! I'm Jack! I'm in Montana. I just signed up for the class in 2015.

loghousenut
11-09-2014, 05:09 PM
HiJack... you''ll not regret it.

loghousenut
11-09-2014, 05:14 PM
That reminds me... Did I ever tell you about the time my Brother Bo hijacked a thread about ridgepole diameter and held it hostage for 4 days.

Just stick around and keep an eye out and I'm sure he'll show you how it is done.

rreidnauer
11-09-2014, 06:09 PM
'nut knows all there is about hikacking.

Trust me. You'll see.

Oh, and welcome aboard Jack.

loghousenut
11-09-2014, 09:36 PM
I've seen it happen for years.

Oh, and welcome aboard Jack.

NorthMan
11-10-2014, 03:40 AM
Hi guys! My name is Nathan, I'm from MN. Wife and I have 2 kids under 4, she's a stay at home mom that home schools our kids while I'm a network engineer.

I signed up for the february class - I'll be going solo though due to $.

We've been looking to start a farm/homestead for 2 years now (40-160 acres) with ducks, sheep and possibly some cattle in the future, so far everything we've seen within an hour of minneapolis is outrageously expensive, or is the wrong kind of house for our growing family.

Finally I convinced my lovely bride to try and buy the lot, move a single wide on there and then build our own.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Miles
11-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Hey guys and gals,
My name is miles as you can tell. I come from the little state of rhode island. Im am a firefighter and have enjoyed the outdoors my whole life. Me and my fiance may have a chance to move and i have to say im really looking forward to the thought of starting fresh. This northeast hustle, politics and attitude has finally gotten to me after 27 years. We have no idea where we may end up but wherever it may be, i want to build a log cabin! So glad i came across this site while browsing log home "kits". Hopefully i can get to a class nect year, not sure if ill make the february one. I am looking forward to a simpler way of life someday and love everyones mindset and outlook here. Pleasure to be in your company!

Blondie
11-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Welcomes Miles!

Where do you want to have this cabin. Firefighters are kinda special....we have a few and try to take care of them.

Blondie

panderson03
11-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi guys! My name is Nathan, I'm from MN. Wife and I have 2 kids under 4, she's a stay at home mom that home schools our kids while I'm a network engineer.

I signed up for the february class - I'll be going solo though due to $.

We've been looking to start a farm/homestead for 2 years now (40-160 acres) with ducks, sheep and possibly some cattle in the future, so far everything we've seen within an hour of minneapolis is outrageously expensive, or is the wrong kind of house for our growing family.

Finally I convinced my lovely bride to try and buy the lot, move a single wide on there and then build our own.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

hey there Northman. so good to see a fellow Minnesotan here! glad you found us. welcome aboard:)

Miles
11-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the warm reception blondie i appreciate it. Were gona go wherever the winds blow us... Or wherever my fiance winds up with a retail store to manage haha. We have no specific plans but south for sure. Our ideal would be the carolins or neighboring states. Maybe texas. She kicks butt im pretty proud of her for working so hard to afford us the chance to get outa here and i wana build her her dream log cabin(luckily shes not super picky haha) but im gona also need some work and have always wanted to get into real estate and home building but cant afford it up here. I love the idea that this can be a low cost entrance to a market that is way out of reach for someone on a firefighters budget up here.

Blondie
11-10-2014, 03:33 PM
As almost everybody knows, I picked up a chunk of desert about three years go. I will need a well and have done my due diligence. The underground river is at the south end of my property at a depth of 50 ft. I will run the inline pump on a small solar panel.

The earth is called blow by. It is the blow off sand of thousands of acres of sand rock and cliffs. It is severely lacking in the stuff that helps to grow a garden such as compost. I called the extension agent and with a great sign, he said that could
add saw dust, tons of it for years, then I would have "good" dirt. He said that I would have to watch the pH. Someone else said that I needed to add Zinc. No idea how much or when to add. Well with all this wonderful, exact info I set out to see
what gardening is all about.

I think that I may have found something that works. It is called Mittleider Gardening. The yields are fantastic for such a small space. Ya'All should check this out on YouTube. You mix sand, saw dust and say vermiculite and another organic base. Then you add a specific amount of fertilizer each week to the soil bed. You just sprinkle it on top. You water everyday. The vine crop in trained up on strings to bromide better air circulation and sunshine.

I think I am going to try it. Well I do have 14 acres to play with and the water will be free.

Blondie

donjuedo
11-10-2014, 04:01 PM
I see Craigslist ads for a "free dump site". People offer to let someone dump clean fill, broken concrete, whatever they're looking for. You could advertise dumping of yard waste, and a landscaping company might take you up on it.

Peter

Blondie
11-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Hey guys, great ideas! I know that there are some wood mills within say 25miles. But somehow I feel that they have their saw dust waste tied up......

Blondie

donjuedo
11-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Then maybe bark. :-)

Prissy Pink
11-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Hi. My husband and I are laying our first log today. We're in Tennessee. We're really excited. Any tips?

loghousenut
11-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Hi. My husband and I are laying our first log today. We're in Tennessee. We're really excited. Any tips?

Get a camera.

Rusty
11-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi all. My name is Rusty I took the class back in march this year. I'm 34,married and live in east Tennessee. I purchased the stock plans and plan on building the 30x30 with the addition of a wrap around porch.Hopefully in a few weeks i'll be droping trees, there poplar. I'm so excited to get started i about to explode!

loghousenut
11-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Why'dja wait so long to clock in with us, Rusty... Better late than never. Welcome home.

Mosseyme
11-18-2014, 04:14 PM
PrissyPink. We don't believe it until we see pictures.
Hey Rusty,
Where in ETN?
Anywhere near knoxville?

Prissy Pink
11-19-2014, 07:33 AM
OK. Here is the picture of the first log set. It was quite a trick getting it over that rebar.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/19/d408f4455387ba1c984f0859861a3c81.jpg

Blondie
11-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Prissy!

It looks GREAT! The first log is always the hardest one! The next will be much easier, trust me. There's a whole bunch of us just waiting to hear every word, every photo you can post. We are vocal supporters. Your lot is fab. How many acres are you working with? The view is killer!

Getting the logs on the rebar is slightly easier if one side of the rebar is slightly shorter than the opposite side, but still long enough to go thru the log.

Hurrah!!'!!!!!

Blondie

Blondie
11-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Prissy,

What is your cabin size? How many stories? Where did you get your logs? So excited for you!

Blondie

Rusty
11-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Mosseyme Im about 20 miles north of knoxville. Andersonville to be exact. I live about 5 min from norris lake.

Rusty
11-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks Loghousenut. Been readin and gatherin. Ready or not here I go! Lol

blane
11-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Prissy, ream the holes out as clean as you can and the logs will slip right on down. Looks great!

Blondie
11-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Prissy,

If you haven't noticed, there is a very large cheering section waiting on your every breath!

Blondie

Mosseyme
11-19-2014, 08:34 PM
That is great Rusty, glad to have more ETN folks. We are east of Knoxville but building in WNC. There is also a build going on in Rutledge area, Clyde, NC completed last year, Sylva, NC. Some others between Knoxville and Nashville. A couple more builds in WNC and several more getting ducks in a row in WNC. You are in a good area and a beautiful area to build. Norris lake, that is cool.
Prissy,
be sure to put flags in the bottom of the holes. It helps you to find them without sticking fingers between log and rebar. Plastic colored tape like survey tape works really well.
Prissy and Rusty,
Are you signed up on the members side. Better place to show your progress.

Prissy Pink
11-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Here's the second picture. The guys got all 4 of the first row set yesterday. Today they have set 2 of the next course. They're telling me this is harder. Not sure why.

Background iformation. We are in Cottontown Tn just north of Nashville. We went to the class in March. We're on the top of a big hill on 13 acres. We love it. We're actually living in a camper just next to the build site.

We bought the 40 x 40 house plan with a basement. We are finishing the basement for my in laws to live in. Counting the basement it will have 3 levels.

We have rented a Tele handler for one month. We're hoping to be able to take it back early. Today is the 2nd day of stacking logs. There will be approximately 11 courses.

The logs are poplar. They average about 16 inches in diameter.

What thread on the members side should I post on? And thanks for all the response.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/3a092894087cd70c4510693e5c79e019.jpg

loghousenut
11-20-2014, 11:16 AM
The place looks great! I figure if you can stack 14logs per day you'll do just fine.

http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?12173-Where-s-Prissy-Pink

OK, maybe 2 or 3 per day would be fine too.

Prissy Pink
11-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Another picture from the telehandler. 8 Logs set in 2 days.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/605b3140ed5daa3427bd88f65c23fbcf.jpg

rockinlog
11-20-2014, 02:08 PM
so jealous prissy lol great job!!

Blondie
11-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Great Prissey!!! Looking real good!

Blondie

rockinlog
11-20-2014, 02:22 PM
only one flaw i see in this design prissy the basement is for your inlaws but you left them a way to get out? lol kidding

Mosseyme
11-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Prissy
Just start a new thread in the members only section and name it what you want. Then post the progress of your build there. It helps to consolidate your info, questions ect. Members will feel free to give more specific info for you there.

snipermonkey2
11-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Hey, my name is Cam I'm 24 years old, married and trying to figure out what is the best route for my wife and I to build a house.

snipermonkey2
11-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Hey, my name is Cam I'm 24 years old, married and trying to figure out what is the best route for my wife and I to build a house. Oh also we're located in NH.

rockinlog
11-20-2014, 04:29 PM
hey cam welcome you came to the right place enjoy the site and the people :)

blane
11-20-2014, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Prissy Pink;110060]
What thread on the members side should I post on? And thanks for all the response.
Create your own build thread on the members side.

Prissy Pink
11-21-2014, 04:41 AM
On the members side. I'm posting under the thread "where's Prissy Pink?" I will be putting up pictures of our project daily.

rockinlog
11-21-2014, 07:35 PM
On the members side. I'm posting under the thread "where's Prissy Pink?" I will be putting up pictures of our project daily.

oh no you did'nt lol you have to post on the non members side also for us losers that havent taken the class yet lol

loghousenut
11-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Don't do it Pinky! Make that freeloader Rocky go to class like the rest of us did.

Hahaaaamhaw

rockinlog
11-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Don't do it Pinky! Make that freeloader Rocky go to class like the rest of us did.

Hahaaaamhaw
nooooo!!!! lol

Blondie
11-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Wow! They are on the fourth round of logs and are over seven ft if height! Wow!

Blondie

wannabuild
11-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Sure am glad, I'll be able to get out of the dark side and into the good side after Feb.
Already missing the build pics from Pinky...:rolleyes:...LOL

rockinlog
11-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow! They are on the fourth round of logs and are over seven ft if height! Wow!

Blondie

hey blondie no teasing lol

rockinlog
11-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Sure am glad, I'll be able to get out of the dark side and into the good side after Feb.
Already missing the build pics from Pinky...:rolleyes:...LOL

you and me both :(

Mosseyme
11-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Yes guys, PrissyPink's build is going like a house on fire. I think they are already finishing level 6. You can see these pictures in March! Maybe she will give you a little look before then.

rreidnauer
11-23-2014, 07:45 AM
And OMG! You non-members can't imagine the unbelievable things Prissy is doing with the unfathomable logs they are installing with the insanely amazing equipment they are using!!! ;):p:):D

loghousenut
11-23-2014, 08:46 AM
I'll try to make up the slack, Rocky. Here's a link to a photo of Rod's place... http://www.buildloghomes.org/log-home/model-log-homes#!prettyPhoto[pp_gal]/8/

And an older photo of my place. Of course there are many more updated photos on the members side.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/1stsilllog8-26-09077.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/1stsilllog8-26-09077.jpg.html)

GreenEyes
11-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Y'all are funny! Don't tease too hard, though. I love this forum and all these members who are so willing to help and share with others. Still working on planning stage here, but hope to finalize which plans we're using in the next week or two.

Just wait till class! We went for our 18th wedding anniversary gift to ourselves on June 4 (anniversary)-5, 2011. It was awesome! Felt like my brain was spinning and numb by the end of each day. Take lots of notes! But they give great notes and also have lots of help on the members forum so it's not like you have to understand and remember every detail in class.

Welcome to our new people!

loghousenut
11-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Don't fall for it folks. GreenEyes is 7 logs tall on her second build. Had the first one done and sold within a year of class. The photos are all on the members side but GreenEyes is holding back on all you lurkers just for spite.

HhahhaahhahAAAAw!

Mosseyme
11-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Hey Greeneyes,\
We took an early anniversary trip to class as well. I gave up the trip I wanted to Ireland for our 40th and went to class instead. My head thinks it is worth it sometimes my body is not so sure. I'll be sure though when we move in.

rockinlog
11-23-2014, 11:20 AM
I'll try to make up the slack, Rocky. Here's a link to a photo of Rod's place... http://www.buildloghomes.org/log-home/model-log-homes#!prettyPhoto[pp_gal]/8/

And an older photo of my place. Of course there are many more updated photos on the members side.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/1stsilllog8-26-09077.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/1stsilllog8-26-09077.jpg.html)

lol thanks lhn i appreciate it beautiful surroundings!!

rockinlog
11-23-2014, 11:23 AM
And OMG! You non-members can't imagine the unbelievable things Prissy is doing with the unfathomable logs they are installing with the insanely amazing equipment they are using!!! ;):p:):D

grrrrr!!!! now your not playing fair lol

wannabuild
11-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Ya, that was just down right ..mean...:mad:..:p

Blondie
11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
I was waiting for the revolt to come to life. But I am very sorry guys. I though that my class was exceptional. But you have them beat. I can hardly wait until you get to the dark side.

Blondie

rand
11-24-2014, 01:21 PM
hello Im a new member from everett,wa.I have heard about skip and his classes and methods for years and am planning on taking the class this year so I can one day soon build a log home.To bad I wasnt able to have taken it from skip himself but I am still very excited.

rockinlog
11-24-2014, 03:29 PM
welcome rand! read the forums and ask any questions you may have plenty of people here that are willing to help enjoy!!

slamasha
11-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Hi Rand, just so you know. We are located close by. Were lucky to take the class from Skip in 2004. Where are you planning to build?

rand
11-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Hi Rand, just so you know. We are located close by. Were lucky to take the class from Skip in 2004. Where are you planning to build?

You know we are not set on a particular location.We are looking now for different property options.Snohomish county for sure.

slamasha
11-24-2014, 10:34 PM
You know we are not set on a particular location.We are looking now for different property options.Snohomish county for sure.

Snohomish county is the second after King (pricey, lots of regulations)... Good luck!

loghousenut
11-25-2014, 12:00 AM
hello Im a new member from everett,wa.I have heard about skip and his classes and methods for years and am planning on taking the class this year so I can one day soon build a log home.To bad I wasnt able to have taken it from skip himself but I am still very excited.

Well ya missed Skip by a few years but you'll be able to shake hands with a bit of his DNA at class. You won't be disappointed. When I took the class I lived in Sultan, but for the last 20 or 30 years I have lived where we get 250 days of nice weather per year instead of 30.

rand
11-25-2014, 03:42 AM
Thats always good he was able to pass it on.I am taking the class in 2015 just cant make the feb one unfortunately.

StressMan79
11-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Lots of members around western Washington. I built 7hrs away, cuz I didn't have 200k for that area.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

Mofoa
11-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Hello Everyone

My name is Ralph. Not entirely sure how I ended up on this site, but I guess it had to do with a video on youtube that caught my attention. Someone had built a log (kit) cabin nearly all by themselves.

Anyhow, after doing some additional online research, I found this site--or maybe it found me. It certainly struck a chord with me. Like most of you, I want out of the rat race.

I have been crunching numbers even before I found this site--or knew anything about the log home idea--to see how I can pay off our current mortgage--28 years to go. (Had enough of the last neighborhood of 12 years--direct neighbors homes/cars burglarized during daylight etc. Cars crashed into houses. You get the idea). As I was saying, I'd have to work at my current job (which pays good but sucks the life out of me) for another 15 years and put an additional $1K per month on top of existing mortgage payment.

I don't know if I can last another 15 years given 1) I really hate my job, and 2) who knows what the future holds in our economy to keep me at my job.

I am saving a good amount of money into 401K--and good news is our home's value has increased--in the event we decide to sell, we have a good chunk of money for some land.

I've read in other posts that California is not ideal for the purpose of building a log home the "Skip" way. That's a downer because I've lived in Northern California all my short 39 years of life and have all family here. Has anyone built a log home in Northern Ca. the Skip way?

I've already planted the seed in the wifes ear about log homes. We've never gone to Vegas, and I just so happened to mention spending V-Day in Vegas...should I have told her about the Training class once we got there--she didn't seem too excited to know what else we might be doing while there.

Though, something might be working, she wants to go to Lake Tahoe during the holidays (company shutdown) and mentioned I can look at log homes there.

Will continue to read up...

All the best,
Ralph

loghousenut
11-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Ralph and Mrs. Ralph... There is hope. Where are you in Northern California and what do you do for a living?

I am just across the border and doing fine. The rat race is still all around me but I am letting the other rats win.

I don't know what you two have planned for the future, but I am building the house that I will die in and leave to my heirs. I don't owe a cent to anyone.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020498_zps294f72d2.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020498_zps294f72d2.jpg.html)

StressMan79
11-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Welcome. N CA will be tough, until it's the state of Jefferson. Using second hand items will likely not be allowed. Consider S OR. LHN seems to like it.

Mofoa
11-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi Loghousenut and StressMan79,

Thank you for the welcome and responses. I'm located 5 hrs south of you, Loghousenut, in the Sacramento Valley. Fortunately for me, I work for an IT company which would allow me to re-locate since I already work remotely.

Future plans is tricky. Short term however, we're looking for our daughter who is in the 8th grade to finish up high school in our area. In the meantime, I am in the learning, planning and saving mode.

Best Regards,
Ralph

Blondie
11-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Ralph,

Welcome to the Log Home Builders' Forum. We are delighted that you have found us. There is a lot for you here. The reason we have difficulty with California is their truly crazy build rules. You can do it but it won't be any fun. We recommend that you seek out a more companionable area to build in. While you work on that one you can take the class and join the dark side of the forum and learn what the world is really all about. Lolol

Blondie

edkemper
11-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Ralph,

First, welcome.

Born in SoCal in 1951. I live in the Sacramento valley from 1983 till February 2012. Had an office across the street from the Capitol.

Now we live and have retired to the righthand side of Southern Oregon. At your age, the left side is probably better. Don't come to my side if you need to work outside your home. Highest unemployment in the state. But consider Oregon. Not far from CA (I'm 30 miles from the CA border) and glad I went over that line. We actually have 4 seasons here. The sickest thing you'd notice in Oregon . . . everyone smiles and are all nice. Even at the DMV and city hall. Plus land and building fees are cheaper and the building departments are much easier and friendlier to work with.

On my side, almost all streets at 35mph except downtown (8 minutes away), it's 20mph. Really, and they drive that speed. Coming from Sacto, you'll find that hard to believe.

If you go up 5, stop and visit Log Home Nut. If you take a more rural trip north (Highway 97 north), stop by, we'll buy you a cup of coffee and share the area.

But take the class. You'll never regret it no matter what you end up doing.

rockinlog
11-25-2014, 08:48 PM
welcome ralph! your gonna love the site and the people enjoy!

loghousenut
11-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Hey Ralph, Look around you. If you want the daughter to grow up like that, maybe that is where you belong. If you want her to grow up like something else, maybe it is time for a change.

I wish I could live where I want to and work by phone line... I probably wouldn't live in this Hellhole called southern Oregon.

OK, maybe I'd stay here but I'd earn California wages if I had the chance.

Mofoa
11-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Hello Blondie, edkemper and rockinlog,

Thanks for the welcome. I will take your advice and consider other states.

Loghousenut--I hear you what you're saying. Although, my daughter is doing very good at school,as a teachers aid, and teachers enjoy her participation in class from the random emails we have read from them. We've moved closer to her school to give her a better education. Truth is, I drive her to school two cities over each day for this better education for her. It's our routine, so it normal to us now. She's surrounded by a good group of people. Just like our oldest had done before her.

Will keep reading, and thanks again for all the warm welcomes :)

All the best,
Ralph

Mosseyme
11-26-2014, 08:46 AM
On what LHN is saying. A friend of ours a long time ago living in Orlando, often talked about moving out of the city to a more rural area. The kids were all for it. They kept talking and not doing, then oldest daughter hit 13. Going to a very good private school. When they talked about moving out of the city she had a fit. Not going to leave her friends! Daddy the pediatrician quickly put his practice up for sale and packed up the family and moved to the mountains of N Ga! He was never sorry. When the kid started locking into the city life he felt if he did not get her out now the dream would be gone. Daughter grew up keeping her feet on the ground now a Dr. and moved her own family back to a rural setting and set up practice.
From personal experience. If you want to have the grandkids anywhere close it might be good to be in the area you hope to settle in while the kids might still learn to think of it as home.
I am not trying to say you can't raise kids well in a city, but there are a lot of challenges that might be easier out of the city.
Welcome to the family.

Mofoa
11-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Hello Mosseyme - Thanks for the response. Points all well taken :)

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Perhaps my first step is to take the class. Working on it!

Best regards,
Ralph

edkemper
11-26-2014, 06:48 PM
I'd also like to add the comfort and hope we now enjoy living in a place where the number of murders in a year are about equal to the number of murders in a month, or a week or a weekend in places where I used to live.

To see people strolling together down the streets day and night. To see children walking down the streets, often enough, alone and safe. To have cops living in every neighborhood. Where neighbors still help neighbors, just because we know them.

I guess living in Southern Oregon for such a short time has already tainted me. Smile

bklynscottloehr
11-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Hi Steve- I went to the class in Vegas in August of 2012, (I think) and have been foaming at the mouth to build ever since! My wife and I finally made the move to the mountains of western north carolina back in July of this year to find land and start building asap. Things never happen quite as fast as planned, but we're optimistic it won't be too long. Thanks for an incredible class. It can be a bit intimidating jumping into talk on this forum with all these seasoned builders, but I'm confident that once I start my own project I'll be able to compete. But sometimes I have to wonder, when they spend so much time chatting online how do they have time to do any building??!

loghousenut
11-27-2014, 10:32 PM
I spend a bit of time online chatting and I seem to be moving along just fine with my... Sorry, I don't have time for this... Back to building.

Good luck on your place in a timely manner.

panderson03
11-28-2014, 05:57 AM
.... But sometimes I have to wonder, when they spend so much time chatting online how do they have time to do any building??! building is such an intense experience; both physically and mentally exhausting (for us, anyway) that jumping on line and doing some chatting is a welcome diversion.

for us, building is very time-intensive. sometimes while we make slow progress each day, its hard for us to see that the project IS moving forward.
its nice to weigh in on this forum where some folks are just in the beginning phases. it helps us realize how far we've come.

its also helpful for us to hear from folks who started their build and have come out the other side, happily living the dream. it gives us hope.

I think we still have 3 years of building left til we can say we're done and can sit back and just enjoy!

gald your dream is still alive and welll, bklynscottloehr:) great that you've found land where you want to live!

mountainguide
11-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Hello All
My name is Tim and I am attending the Feb 2015 class. So glad I found this. Had a cabin once upon a time built butt and pass style (didn't know it at the time) and always wondered how they built that. Now I am going to find out. This has been a life long (47 years) quest to be able to build a log home/cabin. I just recently closed on a beautiful 5 acre parcel on a river in Eastern WA. The most beautiful place in the world. Fly fishing right out my front door and snow cap mountains all around me. A dream coming true. I was a guide/packer for a number of years, living off horseback sleeping in wall tents and sometimes no tent. To have this skill of building a solid log structure is priceless. This is truly my retirement home. I live in Arizona at the moment but from WA area as of 3 years ago. I miss the mountains too much and I don't really like what's happening and evolving in the metropolitan areas in society. Nothing bad or crazy, just not for me. Anyways, nice meeting you all!!

wannabuild
11-28-2014, 07:16 AM
Hi Tim, sounds like a nice piece of property you bought your self...Congrats
The Wife and myself are just now working on a 5 acre parcel.
See you in Feb.
Eric

panderson03
11-28-2014, 07:31 AM
glad you found us, Moutainguide:) we're building our retirement place too! welcome home

rockinlog
11-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Hello All
My name is Tim and I am attending the Feb 2015 class. So glad I found this. Had a cabin once upon a time built butt and pass style (didn't know it at the time) and always wondered how they built that. Now I am going to find out. This has been a life long (47 years) quest to be able to build a log home/cabin. I just recently closed on a beautiful 5 acre parcel on a river in Eastern WA. The most beautiful place in the world. Fly fishing right out my front door and snow cap mountains all around me. A dream coming true. I was a guide/packer for a number of years, living off horseback sleeping in wall tents and sometimes no tent. To have this skill of building a solid log structure is priceless. This is truly my retirement home. I live in Arizona at the moment but from WA area as of 3 years ago. I miss the mountains too much and I don't really like what's happening and evolving in the metropolitan areas in society. Nothing bad or crazy, just not for me. Anyways, nice meeting you all!!

hey tim! i plan on going to the feb class too and have been looking at land in eastern wash. for awhile im curious may i ask where approximately is this paradise and are there other parcels available lol it is beautiful in that part of washington isn't it!

mountainguide
11-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Thank you for the warm greet. My kind of people for sure. We are near Twisp WA Rockinlog.

StressMan79
11-28-2014, 09:28 AM
That is hardly eastern wa. Lots of members from Spokane to Tonasket.

mountainguide
11-28-2014, 09:38 AM
LOL...well it sure isn't western WA StressMan79.

loghousenut
11-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Compared to Stressman's place, Twisp is practically in downtown Everett.

Ha... Welcome to the bunch MtnGd.

bklynscottloehr
11-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks loghousenut and panderson03, I've yet to start, but once I do I'm sure you're right. I'll be needing advice and wanting to share what I'm doing, thinking I'm doing, and hoping to do. So far I've done so much reading about other projects going on and it gets a bit frustrating! Hopes you guys are still around to push me along once I start!

panderson03
11-28-2014, 08:15 PM
:) we're not going anywhere, BSO:) glad you're here

rockinlog
11-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Thank you for the warm greet. My kind of people for sure. We are near Twisp WA Rockinlog.

ahhh i heard of twisp beautiful area! been looking all around there i need to take a drive after taking the class!

Trailrunner701
11-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi Steve, I'me coming "full circle" on the idea of building my wife's and mine log home. I first did a search on log home building about 1 1/2 months ago, found loghomebuilders website at first and then complicated things by thinking it couldn't be so simple. I looked into the full scribe, shrink to fit corners and realized I didn't have the years of experience needed to accomplish this. We also don't have the money to have somebody else build this way for us. We're back to square 1, that is we want to build it ourselves and actually have some money left over to be able and retire at some time. I've been in the construction business all my life as a general contractor for over 15 years and have been in project management for the past 15 years. I have always enjoyed working with my hands. My wife, Brenda and I currently live in Oregon and are moving to Montana this spring. We have started the process of purchasing 50 acres of wooded land and will develop the land from scratch. This is both exciting and challenging as neither of us are spring chickens. I am considering attending the class in Feb to gain more insight to this method of log home building.

StressMan79
11-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Trailrunner, that whole "shrink make corners tighter" is a complete farce.

Glad to meet you.

wannabuild
11-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Trailrunner... if you are thinking about taking the class you best get a move on.. it's saying there are only 5 spots left for the Feb class....

This waiting is killing me....

loghousenut
11-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi Steve, I'me coming "full circle" on the idea of building my wife's and mine log home. I first did a search on log home building about 1 1/2 months ago, found loghomebuilders website at first and then complicated things by thinking it couldn't be so simple. I looked into the full scribe, shrink to fit corners and realized I didn't have the years of experience needed to accomplish this. We also don't have the money to have somebody else build this way for us. We're back to square 1, that is we want to build it ourselves and actually have some money left over to be able and retire at some time. I've been in the construction business all my life as a general contractor for over 15 years and have been in project management for the past 15 years. I have always enjoyed working with my hands. My wife, Brenda and I currently live in Oregon and are moving to Montana this spring. We have started the process of purchasing 50 acres of wooded land and will develop the land from scratch. This is both exciting and challenging as neither of us are spring chickens. I am considering attending the class in Feb to gain more insight to this method of log home building.

Doing it the LHBA way is gonna be too much work and it'll take too much time. Some of us spend YEARS of our lives working part time, doing what we love the most, building a log home, just to save 20 or 30 years on the mortgage. It wouldn't be so bad if the darned house didn't have so much WOW factor when it's done.

Talk me out of it if you want to but I say sign up now before the last seat is taken by some crafty Californian.

PS... No offense intended to you Coloradians and Texans... You're crafty also.

mountainguide
11-29-2014, 04:00 PM
ahhh i heard of twisp beautiful area! been looking all around there i need to take a drive after taking the class!

We can talk in Vegas on the course in Feb. I'd love to show you around what I call heaven.

mountainguide
11-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Trailrunner... if you are thinking about taking the class you best get a move on.. it's saying there are only 5 spots left for the Feb class....

This waiting is killing me....

I booked the course yesterday. Should only be 4 spots left. Web site hasn't updated probably.

rockinlog
11-30-2014, 12:36 PM
We can talk in Vegas on the course in Feb. I'd love to show you around what I call heaven.

that sounds fantastic! im looking forward toi it sounds like i need to get signed up for february class lol

rockinlog
11-30-2014, 12:59 PM
i am officially signed up for february!!!!

Mosseyme
11-30-2014, 04:05 PM
I Almost Wish We Were Going To Feb Class. Seems Like A Great Bunch Of Folks. Welcome To All Of you.

rockinlog
11-30-2014, 04:14 PM
I Almost Wish We Were Going To Feb Class. Seems Like A Great Bunch Of Folks. Welcome To All Of you.

aww thanks mossyme i know we will meet at some point :)

mountainguide
11-30-2014, 05:02 PM
that sounds fantastic! im looking forward toi it sounds like i need to get signed up for february class lol

I didn't realize you were not signed up when I wrote that. Lol. Now you are. Awesome. That leaves only 3 spots left. All the fence sitters better make a move or it will be sold out. This waiting to February sucks.

loghousenut
11-30-2014, 05:14 PM
I was thinking about signing up for the class too. I wonder if I'll get the veteran log home builder discount.

rockinlog
11-30-2014, 05:21 PM
I didn't realize you were not signed up when I wrote that. Lol. Now you are. Awesome. That leaves only 3 spots left. All the fence sitters better make a move or it will be sold out. This waiting to February sucks.

i should have clarified lol i apologize but yes now i am and look forward to hooking up in vegas!! yes they better the time will go by fast looking forward to it!!

rockinlog
11-30-2014, 05:23 PM
I was thinking about signing up for the class too. I wonder if I'll get the veteran log home builder discount.
do it!! lol it'd be cool to meet ya and buy you a beer!

loghousenut
11-30-2014, 06:23 PM
You pay the admission, I'll pick up the bar tab.

donjuedo
12-01-2014, 01:59 AM
LogHouseNut, you could offer to TEACH something in exchange for free admission. The class could add a "Guest Lecturer" spot. :-)

rreidnauer
12-01-2014, 02:51 AM
Like how to stain a log home. Or how to install gutters! :p

loghousenut
12-01-2014, 05:26 AM
101 ways to slow down your build... The classroom is better off without me.

I appreciate your support but if I am to go to class again it will have to be held in Tahiti.

rockinlog
12-01-2014, 07:44 AM
You pay the admission, I'll pick up the bar tab.

it would be an honor! apparently you dont know how much beer i can drink :cool:

loghousenut
12-01-2014, 11:11 AM
it would be an honor! apparently you dont know how much beer i can drink :cool:

I'll have you on the $20 bar tab plan. Make sure we leave enough for a tip.

jeffjjohns
12-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Hi, this is Jeff. Looking at the possibility of taking the 2015 class. Have lots of questions.

rockinlog
12-01-2014, 05:52 PM
I'll have you on the $20 bar tab plan. Make sure we leave enough for a tip.

20 bucks huh? lol that wont wet my whistle :p

rockinlog
12-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Hi, this is Jeff. Looking at the possibility of taking the 2015 class. Have lots of questions.

hey jeff welcome ask away there are plenty of friendly peeps on here that would love to help you!

BoFuller
12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Like how to stain a log home. Or how to install gutters! :p

Oh, good one Rod!!! :)

MikeWalker
12-04-2014, 06:34 AM
My name is Mike and I am, hold on lemme count...35 years old. Yes yes, the years are starting to fly by so quick now that I have to rely on math instead of memory to figure out my age. I am a self described hermit, and all who know me agree with that assertion. I was born in California but grew up in southeastern Georgia. For the last 14 years I have been a resident of North Carolina in and around the Charlotte area. I have traveled all over the country, and once outside of it to Ireland on my honeymoon. In all my travels my favorite place is the Pacific Northwest.

The last time I was there was 2010. My wife and I stayed in a cabin we rented within a couple miles of Mt. Rainier. At the time my wife was pregnant with our only child. I still remember waking up in the morning and going outside with some hot coffee. The sun was peeking up over the mountains to the east, filtering through the tall pines, and that sound the wind makes as it blows through the trees, the smell of earth resin and a good cup of joe.

It reminded me of visiting my grandparents as a boy in Northern California. "Grandpa who lives in the trees" we used to call him. Later they bought 10 acres in Victor Montana and lived there in a log cabin. They have since passed away but the memories are still vivid and dear to me. Even more so when I am in a place like the Pacific Northwest.

Since that visit, my wife and I have been flirting with the idea of moving there. I could easily find a job in my line of work (Database Analyst) perhaps even a work from home one. We've got to get rid of our debt first though. I ran into this site 3 days ago and since have been getting more and more sure that I could build a BnP log home. When I was 15 I helped my dad build our house in Georgia. It was an education I should never forget. Looking forward to taking the class once I have secure employment and we have made a significant dent in our debt. (I was out of work for some months and had to live off of credit cards and bank loans.) Those plus some medical bills are the only things keeping us pinned down right now as we currently rent and do not have a mortgage. I'd like never to.

Anyway, I have dreams of my own land where I can do as I please without some HoA telling me what to do. Somewhere I can raise my son Jack up in a wholesome manner. Somewhere I can shoot my firearms without the cops flooding the house. Somewhere my wife can garden. Somewhere I can build a smithy and pound hot iron into useful and pleasing things. I am glad to have found this community and look forward to learning much in the future.

rockinlog
12-04-2014, 06:56 AM
welcome mike glad you found us and you will enjoy the site and its people!

loghousenut
12-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Talk about fitting right in... Mike you are the one. Welcome aboard.

donjuedo
12-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Welcome, "hermit" Mike. :-)

blane
12-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Hi Mike,
Always good to see folks from NC on here. Welcome aboard friend. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. My southern accent was once mistaken "by a Yankee" ;) for Irish.

sdart
12-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Hi Mike,
Always good to see folks from NC on here. Welcome aboard friend. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. My southern accent was once mistaken "by a Yankee" ;) for Irish.

Ha ha, Blane! My husband's Belgian accent was once mistaken by an old lady in California as being "from Maine." I think that means "as far away from here as you can get and still speak American" :D

loghousenut
12-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Once had an old friend from Texas drop in for s few weeks. Several of us went rafting on a remote chunk of river. Mike was terrified of the water so he volunteered to drive the van to pick us up. We get to the pickup point and no Mike, no van. I started hiking toward town and an hour later saw the only car. The girls in the car said they had seen the van and the guy driving was lost. They were not much help because he didn't speak english. They said his name was Mack and he was looking for "Sessmull".

They gave me a ride out to town where Mike was sitting on the side of the road in my van. We drove back to "6 mile" and picked up the rest of the gang who had been waiting 5 hours.

Never trust a foreigner.

TnWalker
12-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Hi...My husband and I have been agonizing over building a house for about the last 3 years. We really could not see spending that much money just to build a house. We both grew up in Kentucky, I was raised in a little house that was 14 x 20 my parents built themselves, part of my husband's childhood was spent in a log cabin his dad built. We have 2 beautiful daughters Bre 10 yrs and Hazel 5 yrs. I'm in school working on my RN, currently working as an LPN. We have 25 acres in Middle Tennessee. We are excited about the prospect of building our own house in a couple of years.

rockinlogette
12-06-2014, 03:23 PM
TnWalker, Welcome and glad you are here. I am new to the site, but not to LHBA. I am taking the class in February, with my sweetheart, to start our log home journey. Follow your dream of building a log home. I am betting that, after I take the class, it will feel like I stepped from an overwhelming dream, into an attainable reality.

Blondie
12-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Hello TnWalker,

Old ICU nurse here, you are amongst family. This is a very warm supportive place to be.

Blondie

TnWalker
12-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Thank you! I'm trying to talk my best friend and her husband into joining too!

Blondie
12-07-2014, 09:51 AM
The very best argument for joining is walking into one of our cabins. See if you can find one in your area. Walk in. It takes only seconds!

Blondie

loghousenut
12-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you! I'm trying to talk my best friend and her husband into joining too!

Christmas is coming up soon.

I know it's extravagant, but you mentioned something about friendship. How better to get their free sweat on your logs.

flynavyp3
12-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi Everyone! I discovered LHBA back in 2003 when I stumbled across their website during my first Navy deployment. Now it's almost 2015, I'm on my 4th deployment and I was FINALLY able to sign up for the May class! I can't believe after looking at pictures and forums for over a decade I'm actually going to to take the class (hopefully, even though I'll be home I still travel a bit for work). Really excited!

johnziegler
12-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Hello, my name is John. My gal and I are located in Pocahontas,IL and are trying to be very "off the grid". We have started raising animals and massive garden. We still both need to work to provide for taxes but are looking to get away from alot of that and just work to provide with what we can do here. We live in a shed right now and have been wanting to do a log home for a very long time. The problems Im running into is cost of logs and really just the right way to do it. I am saving up to take the class but hopefully with this be able to learn more on everything else. Nice to meet you all and here starts the fun.

loghousenut
12-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Hi Everyone! I discovered LHBA back in 2003 when I stumbled across their website during my first Navy deployment. Now it's almost 2015, I'm on my 4th deployment and I was FINALLY able to sign up for the May class! I can't believe after looking at pictures and forums for over a decade I'm actually going to to take the class (hopefully, even though I'll be home I still travel a bit for work). Really excited!

Glad you finally pulled the trigger. Probably no big rush in your case. Don't suppose they'd allow you to peel logs on a carrier deck.

Welcome aboard!

loghousenut
12-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Hello, my name is John. My gal and I are located in Pocahontas,IL and are trying to be very "off the grid". We have started raising animals and massive garden. We still both need to work to provide for taxes but are looking to get away from alot of that and just work to provide with what we can do here. We live in a shed right now and have been wanting to do a log home for a very long time. The problems Im running into is cost of logs and really just the right way to do it. I am saving up to take the class but hopefully with this be able to learn more on everything else. Nice to meet you all and here starts the fun.

Living in a shed... You're my kinda folks!

As you worry about the price of logs, go check out the price you'll pay if you do a kit house like the neighbors down the road. Once you go to class you'll be among folks who conquer the cost of logs every day. If you want to build your own log home with your own hands, it will happen. LHBA will be the answer.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020089_zps73723eb0.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020089_zps73723eb0.jpg.html)

rockinlog
12-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Hi Everyone! I discovered LHBA back in 2003 when I stumbled across their website during my first Navy deployment. Now it's almost 2015, I'm on my 4th deployment and I was FINALLY able to sign up for the May class! I can't believe after looking at pictures and forums for over a decade I'm actually going to to take the class (hopefully, even though I'll be home I still travel a bit for work). Really excited!congratulations on signing up for the may class im going this february gonna be a great time and thank you for your service!

rockinlog
12-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Hello, my name is John. My gal and I are located in Pocahontas,IL and are trying to be very "off the grid". We have started raising animals and massive garden. We still both need to work to provide for taxes but are looking to get away from alot of that and just work to provide with what we can do here. We live in a shed right now and have been wanting to do a log home for a very long time. The problems Im running into is cost of logs and really just the right way to do it. I am saving up to take the class but hopefully with this be able to learn more on everything else. Nice to meet you all and here starts the fun.glad you found the site john welcome and enjoy!

rockinlogette
12-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Welcome, flynavy and john. I am new to the site and am signed up for the Feb class. Glad you are here and I am sure LHBA will help you in many ways.

hotshotrucking
01-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Just signed up for the May Class yesterday, I'm also John from Indianapolis Indiana and own 40 acres in SE Indiana (Jennings County) I've owned for about 20 years that I purchased from my grandfather. The property has nice woods made up of mostly oak & hickory and was select logged about 3 years ago with plenty of hardwoods available. I have so many questions but one post I enjoyed said not to make the mistake many others have here until they attend the class as far as designs, etc. I have many ideas in my head, nothing on paper and 5 months is a long time to dream. I hope to read and learn as much as I can and will post questions if I see subject pop up. Thank You all for any input you can offer along the way :confused:

panderson03
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
welcome to the family, John:) you can jot down design ideas if you'd like. ... . might help fill the time. ... . but just be prepared for things to change after you learn what you need to during class:)
glad you're here!

loghousenut
01-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Welcome aboard John. Last fall the Boss had me tossing a bunch of memories on the bonfire to make space for new memories. She's such a heartless beast that she wanted me to toss my Mother Earth News collection from day #1, to their sellout in the 80's. Just couldn't do it. Then I came across the boxes of house drawings that represented 30 years of "gonnabuildnextyear". Some of those wacky ideas were scribbled on recycled pay stubs before I met her.

Now, mind you, these drawings were all made after I went to Skip's school and a lot of them were made after I took the Boss to class. Still, I thumb through the different stages of the process that went from "Build on rock piers with pole rafters" to "Remodel the ugly trailer by sticking a log addition to it and then drag out the trailer" to "Three small boxes connected on two levels to save hiring a Cat to level a pad" to "That big ole 45x45 with a huge bump out for the master bath", an I see what a process it is to take a dream and keep it smart. It was only after I came back to LHBA and discovered this forum that we were able to reign it back in and make it simple enough for our simple lives. 36x36 and loving every minute of it.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020622_zps41a5dfcc.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020622_zps41a5dfcc.jpg.html)

stamic55
01-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Welcome aboard John. Last fall the Boss had me tossing a bunch of memories on the bonfire to make space for new memories. She's such a heartless beast that she wanted me to toss my Mother Earth News collection from day #1, to their sellout in the 80's. Just couldn't do it. Then I came across the boxes of house drawings that represented 30 years of "gonnabuildnextyear". Some of those wacky ideas were scribbled on recycled pay stubs before I met her.

Now, mind you, these drawings were all made after I went to Skip's school and a lot of them were made after I took the Boss to class. Still, I thumb through the different stages of the process that went from "Build on rock piers with pole rafters" to "Remodel the ugly trailer by sticking a log addition to it and then drag out the trailer" to "Three small boxes connected on two levels to save hiring a Cat to level a pad" to "That big ole 45x45 with a huge bump out for the master bath", an I see what a process it is to take a dream and keep it smart. It was only after I came back to LHBA and discovered this forum that we were able to reign it back in and make it simple enough for our simple lives. 36x36 and loving every minute of it.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020622_zps41a5dfcc.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020622_zps41a5dfcc.jpg.html)
You could sell those mags on ebay. Someone would buy them.

loghousenut
01-14-2015, 01:40 PM
She let me save them for the Boy.

phorvath
01-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Hello Steve!
I just registered and expect to take the two day course in Las Vegas in the near future. In my research I started of thinking that my only resource for a log cabin would be in kit form and hiring a builder. Finding the Log Home Builders Association and learning about butt and pass as a superior cabin building technique has convinced me that Providence is on my side. I have done a lot of research on Solar Panels, Inverters, battery sizing for my projected daily wattage budget, generators, submersible pumps etc., etc! I am planning for my retirement and building my own log cabin would be for me a great accomplishment and source of pride.
I am 66 years old and expect to retire in 3 years and have looked at land prices in NW Montana as well as in the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. I just hope I am not too old to do this.
I work here in Mississippi (Batesville which is south of Memphis, TN) at a power plant as the Plant Chemist.
Doing all this research and planning has become a hobby and keeps me encouraged. When the time comes for building, I want to offer my help to others in order to gain experience and I will be looking for a partner to help me too.
Thanks again for all the great information!
Phil Horvath

hotshotrucking
01-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the forums Phil. I recently found the site and signed up for the class May 22 & 23 in Vegas and can't wait to fill my mind with the knowledge the class offers. All plans for the trip are final for me now marked on my calendar. Till then I hope to get septic & well moving along with researching basement/ safe room for storms, cool storage & peace of mind. After reading many post I've learned not to make many plans till after attending the class but I can survey my tree's maybe even fell & strip the bark? I hope to get lots of helpful tips along the way.

loghousenut
01-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Hello Steve!

I am 66 years old and expect to retire in 3 years and have looked at land prices in NW Montana as well as in the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. I just hope I am not too old to do this.

Phil Horvath

Phil, you are too old.

loghousenut
01-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Just stating the obvious. You are right on schedule for that log home you're gonna build with your own hands. Sounds like your head is screwed on as straight as it could be. Get that class took so we can pester you on the members side.

Just think how many boneheads are letting their dreams slip away because they are not as young as they used to be.

panderson03
01-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Phil, you are too old.

don't listen to Mr Nut. He's a NUT!!
you are not too old. there are many on this site older than you pursuing this crazy, wonderful, lifechanging dream!
welcome aboard Phil:)

Mosseyme
01-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Not to old but my best advise to you would be to get to the class sooner than later to make your research more productive to the final project. We are 66 and 63 and doing stuff no one should do. You have 3 years to get all that research done, finalize where and what you want to build. [what may even change after you start] collect tools, help on members builds for experience, and be ready to hit it hard when you retire so as not to waste a lot of time with the planning. Good luck.

phorvath
01-22-2015, 06:00 AM
don't listen to Mr Nut. He's a NUT!!
you are not too old. there are many on this site older than you pursuing this crazy, wonderful, lifechanging dream!
welcome aboard Phil:)

I know that I am going to enjoy this whole process! It's great to have a plan for the future. I just checked the flights from Memphis, TN via Travelocity and Expedia. I came up with the lowest at $787 for the flight including the hotel and a car. I will need to book this for the next class in May 2015 very soon. Does everyone book a car or do they take a cab? My chosen hotel is on the Strip and probably close to Harrah's. A cab would be cheaper, of course.
I'm presently checking out tool prices (draw knives etc.) and also ways to get the timber from the woods assuming that is the source to the building site. I just learned about a "log arch." I also found a student's house that I like. I think it was called Ravensdale. I'm even looking into the possibility of recycled barnwood floors!
Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to meeting some of you at the class and also by my helping you out on your build!
Phil

GreenEyes
01-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Class was at Harrah's when we attended. We stayed there, too, and also found a deal for their buffet on the Harrah's website when we made reservations. Didn't rent a car, took taxi from and to airport.

hotshotrucking
01-22-2015, 07:07 AM
I booked thru Southwest Airlines, my class is at the Flamingo and got the whole package air/nonstop, transportation from airport to hotel 3 nights then transportation back to airport, don't think there's much of a need for a rental car as its all right there on the strip. Shop around, once you book your class they'll send you some helpful tips. Good Luck

phorvath
01-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks, I needed that. You sound like you would be a good knowledge resource.
Phil

stamic55
01-22-2015, 02:08 PM
My buddy and i took a cab/shuttle from the airport. Took the train from hotel to class. We rented scooters one day to explore. We rented a jeep another day to visit red rock and grand canyon.

rreidnauer
01-22-2015, 03:18 PM
I stayed at the Monroe Motel, rented a car to explore a bit, and hiked to the top of Wallace Falls the day before class.
Oops! Wrong class location. ;)

Mosseyme
01-22-2015, 03:39 PM
We took the wrong class location to and stayed at the Wallace lodge. Wish it still happened there for you new guys but probably saves a bunch of money for most folks to fly to Vegas.

BoFuller
01-22-2015, 06:26 PM
We took the wrong class location to and stayed at the Wallace lodge. Wish it still happened there for you new guys but probably saves a bunch of money for most folks to fly to Vegas.

If you don't mind a 3 hour drive, you can stay at my build site. 😜