PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

allen84
12-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Oh, and almost forgot... If you can figure out what LogHouseNut was trying to say, you'll be just fine :D

edkemper
12-23-2015, 01:27 PM
but I'd bet you will unhinged the part of your bran that has doubts about your abilities.

I must have missed that part. What part of Bran is about doubts about our abilities?

Oh wait! Now I get it.

Tammekivi
12-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Hello! I am Tarmo, log house builder and timber framer from Estonia, North-Europe. Looking for new contacts and grateful discussions.

NWscott
12-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Greetings forum members! My name is Scott and I'm a first-time poster even though I've been checking out the LHBA for a few years now. I just signed up for the Feb. 20-21 class in Vegas...very excited about it! Look forward to interacting more in the forums with ya'll in the future.

gkingfisher
12-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi..Have read countless forums here, looked at many many member build photos, youtube, etc etc. My wife and I are finally signed up..going to the Feb 20-21 class. VERY Excited. We are both in upper 50's, I'm retired Air Force, and going to retire from the Railroad in next 3-4 years. Against countless advise against it on the forums, have bought 20 acres in Northern California. Our land is next my daughters property, and my son lives in the general area. So family is trumping all the negatives. I figure other people have built in Northern CA, somehow...just more BS, so not impossible. Could not find a class thread for the Feb 20-21 class.

loghousenut
12-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Welcome aboard Scott and Gking! Where do you two live?

gkingfisher
12-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Hello Lognut...We are in eastern Nebraksa...Omaha area. I couldn't figure out how to add a location and Avitar to my profile. I have been lurking on here for many years, but just registered this year. Maybe I have to wait for administar permission ?

Wood Butcher
12-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Just introducing myself. I am considering the 2/20/16 class. I am a carpenter by trade with experience in all trades. I am a licensed general contractor in Sarasota, Florida as well as a roofing contractor and home inspector. I specialize in building luxury waterfront homes that are ultra efficient. I'm looking to retire to the mountains in a few years and I hope to build my own log home.

My current skill set gives me an edge on the MEP systems and finish but I might as well be a fish trying to fly when it comes to log construction.

loghousenut
12-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Hello Lognut...We are in eastern Nebraksa...Omaha area. I couldn't figure out how to add a location and Avitar to my profile. I have been lurking on here for many years, but just registered this year. Maybe I have to wait for administar permission ?

So, where is that northern California acreage?

blane
12-27-2015, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=Wood Butcher;I'm looking to retire to the mountains in a few years and I hope to build my own log home.

My current skill set gives me an edge on the MEP systems and finish but I might as well be a fish trying to fly when it comes to log construction.[/QUOTE]
Which mountains are you looking to move to?

NWscott
12-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Welcome aboard Scott and Gking! Where do you two live?

Hello, loghousenut. I'm in Kitsap county, about 20 miles north and west of Seattle, just across the Puget Sound.

gkingfisher
12-27-2015, 10:51 PM
So, where is that northern California acreage?

Humboldt County

edkemper
12-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Humboldt County

Some of the last open green beauty found in CA. Look forward to watching/helping your journey. By the way, they won't lower your class grade because you already bought your land or because you're from CA. :o

Welcome aboard.

NatureDude
12-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Hey Dude!

Don't worry. They're multiple every year. You won't miss anything. Well, until after the weekend. Then you'll know some of what you didn't know, get it? :D

Thanks! Look forward to knowing what I didn't know I was missing! :p

NatureDude
12-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Yo Dude!
I, loghousenut, winner of the coveted Golden Wooly Poodle Award, wish to unofficially welcome you to the forum. Class happens irregularly several times each year and you're gonna love it. You probably won't learn any new skills, but I'd bet you will unhinged the part of your bran that has doubts about your abilities.

You can build your own log home with your own hands. LHBA can unlock it in you.

Thanks for the unofficial welcome hehe, am excited to hop into one of them, hopefully in the upcoming 2016 year.

NatureDude
12-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Are the 'member forums' more active than the open forums? Also, why is there such secrecy behind this method? I find it strange they don't sell books, DVDs, or things of the sort with the information. Why must you attend the class in Vegas? If it's just a classroom setting, it's not like the information is anything that couldn't be taught via DVD or read in a book, minus the Q and A's, but there is the forum for that. Please don't think I'm knocking the organization in any way, it sounds completely awesome and I totally want to take the class, I just don't understand why there seems to be a veil of secrecy that you can only pass through by taking the class. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance! :cool:

gkingfisher
12-28-2015, 12:08 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63004877@N00/24030790325/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks for the welcome. This is our building site. Septic is already in. Will be off the grid with solar, possible seasonal hydro, still have to log wind speeds for possible wind power. Masonary heater, etc etc.

gkingfisher
12-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Well..posted picture from flickr account...maybe I did it wrong?

edkemper
12-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Are the 'member forums' more active than the open forums? Also, why is there such secrecy behind this method? I find it strange they don't sell books, DVDs, or things of the sort with the information. Why must you attend the class in Vegas? If it's just a classroom setting, it's not like the information is anything that couldn't be taught via DVD or read in a book, minus the Q and A's, but there is the forum for that. Please don't think I'm knocking the organization in any way, it sounds completely awesome and I totally want to take the class, I just don't understand why there seems to be a veil of secrecy that you can only pass through by taking the class. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance! :cool:

Dude,

A couple of things. The class is the starting line. You get your briefing and that starts you on the path. There is no way to provide all the info during a 2 day class. But that is where you meet our leaders and where you become part of the family.

The Member Only section is where the details are. Kind of like a book of knowledge but more like an interactive one. There is someone (or plenty of someones) that will deal in more of the details. We really teach and help each other. There are so many variables that it is easier to get the correct info interactively.

Does that help? There is a Class Workbook you get. But without Steve and E teaching the class and answering many, many questions (save them for Sunday).

It's been successful for more years than I know and it's morphed into what it is today. At one time, the class was taught (as I'm told) helping to build a log home. A hands on affair. But that had many limits and what we have today is something special.

NatureDude
12-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Dude,

A couple of things. The class is the starting line. You get your briefing and that starts you on the path. There is no way to provide all the info during a 2 day class. But that is where you meet our leaders and where you become part of the family.

The Member Only section is where the details are. Kind of like a book of knowledge but more like an interactive one. There is someone (or plenty of someones) that will deal in more of the details. We really teach and help each other. There are so many variables that it is easier to get the correct info interactively.

Does that help? There is a Class Workbook you get. But without Steve and E teaching the class and answering many, many questions (save them for Sunday).

It's been successful for more years than I know and it's morphed into what it is today. At one time, the class was taught (as I'm told) helping to build a log home. A hands on affair. But that had many limits and what we have today is something special.

That does make sense. It seemed that two days was a bit short for such a massive amount of information, but makes sense that the class would be the 'intro' and the forums the details. Thanks for the reply! #TwoThumbsUp

John W
12-29-2015, 05:21 AM
Really looking forward to the class next month after lurking for four or five years. The members can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the vast majority of the class is instruction in building the shell of the house, getting your house under roof.. But the detailed information on electrical, heating/cooling, plumbing, etc., is all on the member's side. And through years of trial and error and mistakes by all involved, best solutions are available, with questions answered by folks that have been there and done that. What a great resource.

LowKey
12-29-2015, 09:17 AM
So far as I know, the important thing is to bring an open mind and warm slippers to class.

Did I miss anything?

Mosseyme
12-29-2015, 05:53 PM
22 hours of learning and depending on the depth of your interest it passes really fast and you are wishing there were more hours because you are soaking it up and knowing you didn't get it all and hoping it really is there on the other side. I came away with the KNOWING we could do this. My other half probably had a more realistic view of the amount of work involved { I really did too}. It is the nuances of the process and the confidence that you can get from the laid back matter of fact, funny way things a given, that you could never get from a class DVD or something

NWscott
12-31-2015, 09:31 AM
How does one go about changing their profile settings such as adding a location and profile pic?
When I click on the settings link for options it brings up a page saying I don't have permission to access that info.
Couldn't come up with anything after searching through the forums...any help would be greatly appreciated.

loghousenut
12-31-2015, 09:42 AM
How does one go about changing their profile settings such as adding a location and profile pic?
When I click on the settings link for options it brings up a page saying I don't have permission to access that info.
Couldn't come up with anything after searching through the forums...any help would be greatly appreciated.

They go through that just before lunch on the second day of class. Take notes.

Admin
12-31-2015, 09:11 PM

We just upgraded you to Regular+ User, which means you should be able to do those now.

NWscott
01-01-2016, 12:28 AM
We just upgraded you to Regular+ User, which means you should be able to do those now.

Thanks, admin!

:cool:

gkingfisher
01-01-2016, 03:52 AM
Hi Admin,
I couldn't update my location or pic either...can I get upgraded also?

Thanks

Admin
01-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Hi Admin,
I couldn't update my location or pic either...can I get upgraded also?

Thanks

Sure all fixed. BTW, this happens automatically if you make enough posts. No need to ask, just keep posting.

gkingfisher
01-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Great, thanks

gkingfisher
01-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Building Site...https://www.flickr.com/photos/63004877@N00/24030790325/in/datetaken/

allen84
01-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Building Site...https://www.flickr.com/photos/63004877@N00/24030790325/in/datetaken/

Looks a lot like mine... Not ready. haha

loghousenut
01-01-2016, 06:01 PM

My building site is a lot like that but I am 10 or 20 years ahead of you as far as collecting junk is concerned.

Wood Butcher
01-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Not certain. We are looking everywhere but leaning towards the Blue Ridge west of Asheville NC

Wood Butcher
01-03-2016, 12:29 PM

We haven't decided. We have been visiting a lot of areas. We want a location with 4 seasons. We want isolation but it'd be nice to be within 1 hour to a small city. We want to homestead so good land is a must. I hunt and fish so somewhere with game and streams would be great. I would like 100 acres. We are leaning towards the Blue Ridge area north or west of Asheville NC.

Old School
01-08-2016, 06:40 AM
I'm new to this site as of moments ago. I live in southern Missouri with my wife and children, don't own land yet, will attend a class as soon as one is scheduled during the week and am excited and intimidated at the same time about getting this process started. Gathering as much info as possible at this point as I am a complete newbie to the building process. Have enjoyed reading through this forum in the past couple of days. Amazed at what can be accomplished, and not quite sure that I can pull it off.

Mosseyme
01-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Welcome Old School,
Keep reading, there is a lot of info on this side that really wets the appetite. This is a real family of log home builders and wishers and are very supportive with lots of info, multiple answers to almost any question you might have.
You may have to recruit others that want a weekday class, they don't happen often. We lucked out and found this site just a couple of months before they had the last one.

rocklock
01-08-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm new to this site as of moments ago. I live in southern Missouri with my wife and children Have enjoyed reading through this forum in the past couple of days. Amazed at what can be accomplished, and not quite sure that I can pull it off.

Look at the student built homes. Show them to your wife and kids... Talk about log home living... Look at my home and the video's... I am almost 72... If you go to the first page of this topic you will find my first post... If you work hard, not afraid of getting dirty, it can be done...

Old School
01-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to the journey...I think. I've shown my wife and kids the website and the student built homes. They all have favorite features they'd all like to combine. I'm thinking it will max me out just to build a simple one let alone one with unique features. My wife and kids are hard workers, so I'm not so concerned with that - it's the whole building process. I literally know nothing about it. I've got so many questions but will refrain asking - I'll just browse the site for a while. Hoping they do a class during the week sometime this year. I am amazed at what you all have done or are doing. Inspiring no doubt.

--Mitch

edkemper
01-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Old School,

Do you know the difference between a hammer and a cellphone? Smile, you know enough to build your home. Well, along with the family on the other side that is waiting to help and teach. It is rare when the person joining our family has an extensive background in the building industry. We are young, old, male, female, white shirt and tie to scrubs or blue jeans. No high school diploma to graduate degrees.

We are amazing. We are family.

rreidnauer
01-09-2016, 10:24 AM
There are times I'd like to use the 6S as a hammer.

hewman
01-09-2016, 10:29 AM
There are times I'd like to use the 6S as a hammer.
Rod,
I still have the Iphone 4. Still works I guess but was thinking about moving on to the 6S.
Are you saying the 6S is not as good?

rreidnauer
01-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Well, I used to have the 4s as well. The 6S, other than having a fingerprint reader and larger form factor, is the same exact thing.

BTW, I also have the Galaxy Edge+, which I would take over the 6S any day of the week

hewman
01-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Rod,
I was looking at your foundation pics earlier. (no chance of being under built 4sure:) )
Did you consider ICF;s ? Just wondering if you came to a conclusion I should consider. I apologize if it is already in a discussion somewhere.

NWscott
01-09-2016, 04:27 PM
My building site is a lot like that but I am 10 or 20 years ahead of you as far as collecting junk is concerned.

Am I the only one not seeing the pictures here? I just see a little square after the words Building Site...

loghousenut
01-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one not seeing the pictures here? I just see a little square after the words Building Site...
Back on the old days (a week ago) there was photos where the box is now.

rreidnauer
01-10-2016, 05:30 AM
Rod,
I was looking at your foundation pics earlier. (no chance of being under built 4sure:) )
Did you consider ICF;s ? Just wondering if you came to a conclusion I should consider. I apologize if it is already in a discussion somewhere.
I did consider them, but it would have been difficult/costly to set them up in the fashion I wanted, to make the pilasters which will carry my floor and RPSLs.

asakalj
01-13-2016, 01:33 AM
Hello everyone,
My name is Andrija , i am from Croatia and starting to build my Log home this spring .
Hope to get some good information from you guys and share my experience building my own Log home.
I would really like to come to one of your training events but it is on the other side of world so that may not be possible :( .
anyways hope to have good time on this Forum .

StressMan79
01-13-2016, 06:28 AM
Sounds great. Please keep us updated, and post lots of pics!

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

John W
01-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Good luck Andrija!

panderson03
01-13-2016, 05:55 PM
welcome Andrija! glad you found us:)

Tom Holshouser
01-14-2016, 07:28 PM
My name is Tom Holshouser I own a beautiful log home in Tennessee. It is made of poplar hand hewn logs throughout. The house is approximately 3,000 ft sq and was built in 1960 from several log houses purchased from middle Tennessee and southern Kentucky.

Developers are trying to buy my property at a "price you can't refuse". They are willing to pay to have my home dis-assembled as opposed to being demolished. They are willing to give me the logs and other salvagable wood and stone to use or sell.

Where can I get advice as to how to go about this.

rreidnauer
01-15-2016, 03:05 AM
Look for companies that specialize in that sort of thing. Historical organizations might be able to provide some leads.

allen84
01-15-2016, 05:12 AM
Tom Holshouser, I sent you a private message.

kh1053
01-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Karl and I have been following for a month or so, and the prospect of building my house from the ground up is great. I have had ups and down in my life and the retirement phase of life is fast approaching. The 4 year time table sounds like it will work just great. Planning to sign up for the May class shortly, I may be jumping the gun but stumbled across a nice piece of property that might fit my needs and might purchase before the class, only 3.6 A but if I don't grab it someone else will. Look forward to learning and moving forward.

loghousenut
01-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Welcome aboard Karl. Four year plan works great for most folks. I, being a natural overachiever, am doing two four year plans at the same time consecutively.

BoFuller
01-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Welcome aboard Karl. Four year plan works great for most folks. I, being a natural overachiever, am doing two four year plans at the same time consecutively.

You mean the 4X4 plan? (16 yrs) :)

loghousenut
01-18-2016, 07:42 PM
You mean the 4X4 plan? (16 yrs) :)
That's pretty much it for me, but Karl will probably only be able to do the basic 4 year plan.

mbriley
01-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, my name is Matthew and my wife and I have been looking into LHBA for about 6 months now. We just bought our tickets for the Memorial Day weekend class a few days ago and we're really excited! We're hoping to find out from the class whether we're crazy to think we can do this! We're located in Texas so we're not in the normal area for this, but I know at least a couple homes have been built down here (http://ourcottonwoodcreek.com/ is one).

MPeterson1020
01-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Hey guys, my name is Matthew and my wife and I have been looking into LHBA for about 6 months now. We just bought our tickets for the Memorial Day weekend class a few days ago and we're really excited! We're hoping to find out from the class whether we're crazy to think we can do this! We're located in Texas so we're not in the normal area for this, but I know at least a couple homes have been built down here (http://ourcottonwoodcreek.com/ is one).

Welcome! I still think I may be crazy to do this, but I'm going to do it anyhow. :) The thought of paying a mortgage in my senior years scares me more than the fear of building a log home, which I have wanted all my life anyhow. So if I have to be afraid, I may as well be afraid doing something I have always wanted.

edkemper
01-19-2016, 09:11 AM

First, welcome to the family.

Second, yes you are crazy. Not because you want to build a log home. Just because you came here. Most of us are a little off the norm.

This is doable. You can do it. I'm a gimp that turn 65 next month and my immigrant 5', 100# wife and I start our build this year. Zero building experience for my wife. I've helped on building project with my father about 100 years ago.

Waiting for the class is weird. After the class, and after you catch up on sleep after the class, that is when the real fun starts.

MPeterson1020
01-19-2016, 09:13 AM
I would also add to read every post you can before class. It really helped me to understand some of what they talked about in class. I don't regret going at all.

panderson03
01-19-2016, 11:26 AM
good advice!

bigfootbrad
01-19-2016, 07:59 PM
I remember you my question is,
http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?12879-How-do-you-marry-up-a-40ft-home-with-a-24ft-room
Has anyone modeled that any pics, 2005 student in the old place

bigfootbrad
01-19-2016, 08:03 PM
I remember you my question is,
http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?12879-How-do-you-marry-up-a-40ft-home-with-a-24ft-room
Has anyone modeled that any pics, 2005 student in the old place

Babe the Blue Ox
01-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Hello, all! My husband and I will be attending the Memorial Day Weekend class. We live in DC now, but are looking to buy land in the wonderful Live Free or Die! state of NH and start building our very own log cabin in the next year or so. My family thinks we're nuts and my mom still isn't convinced that you don't use a crane.....so I'm hoping by attending the classes, we will not only learn the techniques and resources, but also have all the answers to quiet them down! :-D

Babe the Blue Ox
01-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Hey there! My husband and I just got our tickets for that class too. We have all the same feels too....sounds insane but we are totally psyched if this is what is truly in store for us for homeownership. Guess we will see you guys out there!

-Michelle

panderson03
01-20-2016, 05:36 PM
welcome to the family, Michelle:)
class will definitely teach you how to build without a crane, so don't worry:)
you'll also learn everything you need to learn about the log work as well as a bunch of other tips to build well and cheap
glad you're here

edkemper
01-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Michelle & Blue,

Don't forget those doubters you encounter. The class will likely touch on that subject also.

The people that don't know the subject will tell you that you are crazy and that you can't do "it."

But this is where you'll find no doubters. We are all (well, most) like you. With the exception of a lot of little and big answers to all your little and big questions you'll have along the way.

Happy you and Blue made the commitment. You'll find family on the other side.

EMC45
01-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Just joined. East TN area and have land and trees. Going to take the class one day.....

panderson03
01-26-2016, 12:27 PM
welcome EMC:)
until you're ready to take the class, read up on all you can here.
glad you're here:)

ice
02-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Hello,

My name is Dani. Wife and I moved to Mt Hood, OR area last year and are looking for land to build our log home. We became members at the first class held in Las Vegas(who can remember when that was?). We drove around this area a lot and I'm a little surprised not to see any LHBA style homes around here. I'm curious why that is since this area is amazing. I'd love to connect with anyone looking to build here or who has built here. Thanks.

loghousenut
02-08-2016, 11:59 PM
Hello,

My name is Dani. Wife and I moved to Mt Hood, OR area last year and are looking for land to build our log home. We became members at the first class held in Las Vegas(who can remember when that was?). We drove around this area a lot and I'm a little surprised not to see any LHBA style homes around here. I'm curious why that is since this area is amazing. I'd love to connect with anyone looking to build here or who has built here. Thanks.

There are not a ton of them on this side of the border. About a zillion in western Washington and a surprising number of them in the SE States. Next time you are in the temperate part of the state, stop in and say hi. If you need a base for sightseeing, we are halfway between the coast and Crater Lake.

panderson03
02-09-2016, 09:01 AM
I think the reason you don't see more LHBA homes is because either they think it can't be done or they don't want to be bothered with doing it themselves:)
welcome ICE.

Dathan
02-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Hello all,
My name is Dathan and im looking forward to meeting some great people and building a beautiful home. Cant wait till I get to attend the class in May

panderson03
02-11-2016, 06:46 AM
welcome to the family, Dathan:)

rreidnauer
02-11-2016, 07:41 AM
I think the reason you don't see more LHBA homes is because either they think it can't be done or they don't want to be bothered with doing it themselves:)
welcome ICE.
It's probably more like, in comparison to the pool of construction methods out there, LHBA members, even after 50 years in the business, still only make up an incredibly miniscule portion of the builders in the field.

Combine that with the fact that many true, die hard log home builders like rural settings and their privacy, it makes it that much less likely you'd come across one randomly. I know my place won't be found by accident.

Mosseyme
02-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Same here, if you see our place without an invitation you are somewhere you shouldn't be.

loghousenut
02-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Same here, if you see our place without an invitation you are somewhere you shouldn't be.

Call me paranoid, but I worry that if I don't invite everyone in openly, I may miss somebody. This is the version of the LHBA "KEEP OUT" sign that was left, tacked to a pine tree by the driveway, a few years ago by a dear friend.

It still hangs and has served me well.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020753_zpsb59249d9.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020753_zpsb59249d9.jpg.html)

Arrowman
02-14-2016, 07:07 AM
Looks like the state might be missing a road sign somewhere...:rolleyes:

loghousenut
02-14-2016, 07:22 AM
Looks like the state might be missing a road sign somewhere...:rolleyes:

Supposedly Jake inherited that yellow sign from a buddy while he was a college kid. Don't know why he wanted it but it would make a great skid plate for the dune buggy. It reads "SPEED HUMP".

Still can't figure out why a college kid would want such a thing.

donjuedo
02-14-2016, 05:18 PM
People get wiser as they get older.

blane
02-16-2016, 05:29 PM
I like that my place is hard to find as well. In the summer you would never see my house till you turned into the drive.

Arrowman
02-17-2016, 08:57 AM
I like that my place is hard to find as well. In the summer you would never see my house till you turned into the drive.

And in the winter you will barely be able to get up the snowy drive. But your place is beautiful, Blane. Made me jealous.

Marie
02-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Hello all,
I am Marie, a professional classical musician living in the Mexican interior with my husband and son since 1998. I love natural building techniques (live in a 350 year old adobe home). I want to take the course and hope to build a log home in BC, Canada someday.

LowKey
02-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Welcome, Marie.
In BC you shouldn't have any problems finding logs for your build!!!

rckclmbr428
02-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Mexico to Canada? thats a change of scenery!

rocklock
02-26-2016, 10:48 AM
(live in a 350 year old adobe home). I want to take the course and hope to build a log home in BC, Canada someday.

If you can, I would live in both places (note where I live). Adobe and log homes have similar thermal properties, especially if the walls are two feet thick. I would not ignore Washington State if you can... Also WE have a member that lives in Point Roberts and built a 25 by 25.

Marie
02-27-2016, 07:29 AM
Yes! Unfortunately BC land is quite expensive though... especially when paying with pesos! Currently looking at .5 acres which has "high slope instability". Seems like a bad idea, right? Hey, do you recommend I take the course before buying land?

StressMan79
02-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Yes! Unfortunately BC land is quite expensive though... especially when paying with pesos! Currently looking at .5 acres which has "high slope instability". Seems like a bad idea, right? Hey, do you recommend I take the course before buying land?

Definitely.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

Marie
02-27-2016, 07:32 AM
YES! It is my dream to live in both places. Not sure I can swing it financially however. My husband is Canadian so he really wants us to move back there when I retire. Really struggling with finding affordable land in BC though. Any thoughts?

rreidnauer
02-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Not a class taught thing, but steeper the land you build on, the more expensive your entire build becomes. Cheap sloped land will only cost you more on the back end.

Rough calculation I would estimate: Take percentage of slope, (45° = 100%) and that will also be the percentage of cost increase for your entire build.

LowKey
02-27-2016, 10:17 AM
YES! It is my dream to live in both places. Not sure I can swing it financially however. My husband is Canadian so he really wants us to move back there when I retire. Really struggling with finding affordable land in BC though. Any thoughts?
If you're both going to be retired, then depending on the amount of exposure to civilization you require on a daily or weekly basis, you could look for properties further out from population centers.
I bought land in SE Alaska. Anything that even approached what I considered "affordable" had the phrase, "Access by water or float plane only".
It will raise construction costs, but if you find a parcel on navigable waters that's within acceptable boating distance for your tastes it may be quite a bit cheaper than the same sized parcel on a road system. You'd need to keep a skiff, and you'll most likely need to hire a LC to bring in some of your building supplies, but (for example) for the same price 5 acres that's an hour from shopping beats .5 acres that's 1o minutes from shopping....at least in my opinion. It's not for everyone, but it is an option.

ncaress
02-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Hello from New Mexico!
My name is Nancy and I just joined the forum. I will be attending the class in May and can't wait!

rreidnauer
02-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Wow! The Southwest is all of a sudden becoming the LHBA hotspot. Welcome to the party Nancy.

ncaress
02-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Wow! The Southwest is all of a sudden becoming the LHBA hotspot. Welcome to the party Nancy.

Do you know if there are LHBA homes in New Mexico?

rreidnauer
02-28-2016, 09:25 AM
I think you might be the first. BoFuller will give some insight when he reads this.

Marie
02-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Yes, good ideas to consider. Makes me realize that I need to think this thing out better and get on the same page with my husband… I think he requires more access to civilization (museums, restaurants) than I do. It's hard to plan so far in advance, not knowing really how I will want to live when I am older. For a retirement plan, access to medical care seems important, for example. Wow, Alaska. Must be amazing!

Marie
02-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Not a class taught thing, but steeper the land you build on, the more expensive your entire build becomes. Cheap sloped land will only cost you more on the back end.

Rough calculation I would estimate: Take percentage of slope, (45° = 100%) and that will also be the percentage of cost increase for your entire build.

Ooh boy. Okay. These development costs add up, don't they? Septic, well, electricity, plus slope. Important things to think about. The log home dream may have to stay simply a dream for now…

rreidnauer
02-28-2016, 09:56 AM
Well, don't give up. It took me three years before I settled on a piece of land. The irony being, it was in an area I thought I wouldn't be able to afford. Stars aligned, and the impossible became possible.

LowKey
02-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Nancy,
Welcome on board. You'll love the class.

ncaress
02-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Nancy,
Welcome on board. You'll love the class.

Thanks! I see that you are a newer member....Did you take the class recently? If so , did you stay at Harrahs? I've got my flights booked but hotels are a bit pricey over the holiday weekend.

LowKey
02-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks! I see that you are a newer member....Did you take the class recently? If so , did you stay at Harrahs? I've got my flights booked but hotels are a bit pricey over the holiday weekend.

I had booked into Harrah's, but due to circumstances the class was moved to the Flamingo that week and I re-booked.

Vegas isn't really that large. Look for rooms somewhere along the monorail line any you should be fine.

TrailRdr
03-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Just wanted to take a moment to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the class (Feb20th). The trip was so worth it!
My name is Debbie. My husband and I live in East TN. We have land and I think enough trees. I’m reading all the cool info on the forum and trying to learn all I can. Would love to hear from anyone in this area, maybe help and get some experience.

Mosseyme
03-03-2016, 07:29 PM
We live in Morristown 1/2 the time.

rocklock
03-07-2016, 08:52 PM
build on a Gulf Island.
the Pacific Rim culture.
hope to have $175K for the build.
But my question is Do you think this is enough? How much more expensive is it to build on an island?
(Ideally, I would like to build a 30' by 30'. Is that small?)

I presume you are talking about the gulf of Alaska not Mexico because you like the Pacific Rim Culture.
175 should be enough depending on the land, your style etc.
If the island has ferry service, the cost should not be that expensive... Especially if your chosen island has big Doug Fir trees. I built a 30 by 30 and it is plenty big for two people. I have an LHBA fiend that built on Fort Roberts (US) and built a very elegant 25 by 25.

Take the class. Also contact the below person
www.WileyLogHomes.com "Hand Crafted Traditions" His business is building shell in the LHBA style and does it fast... although you must do the prep work so he can finish fast... We are talking weeks. He has worked in Washington so a little further north may not make much more difference.

I would suggest finding a lot of more than an acre (45,000 sqft) because a log home looks cramped side by side with a stick built home...

Best of luck. If your ever in my neighborhood, please stop in and has a coffee or two...

I have tried to reply to your pm, without sucess so here it is...

crazy canuck
05-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi all. frank from eastern Canada here. i have a log home with familiar problems and i hope to get some help here . it is good to have such a site to get help from experienced home owners. looking forward to meet one and all.

panderson03
05-04-2016, 09:23 AM
hi there, Crazy. with a name like that, you'll fit right in here :)

Tex
05-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Well I'm back. We are getting more serious and hope to make the Labor day class IF there is one. Tons of questions mainly about cost and how to estimate.

loghousenut
05-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Well I'm back. We are getting more serious and hope to make the Labor day class IF there is one. Tons of questions mainly about cost and how to estimate.

Mr and Mrs Tex,

It'll cost every nickel and don't waste your time estimating.

PS... If you are like me you will have enough nickels. Look forward to seeing you on the other side.

allen84
05-10-2016, 01:35 PM
I think LHN kind of nailed it in a difficult to understand way.... Kind of like "How long will it take?" answer: "Until it's done." Any project I've ever needed or cared to estimate materials and cost for, I considered that cost to be the "budget". I go over the budget every time. On the other hand, If I start a project with no budget or real end result in mind... At the end, I have a pile of receipts that I don't really care to add up and I'm happy that I didn't spend more than I planned (or didn't plan).

eagle
05-10-2016, 04:57 PM
I usually estimate a budget and time, then double that and I'm good. But most times I would have to agree with previous statements.

panderson03
05-11-2016, 06:37 AM
cost totally depends on how big and fancy you want to build. sooo many variables!

Arrowman
05-11-2016, 08:15 AM
LHN is usually able to give a pretty good estimate provided you tell him how many meters tall your house will be.

donjuedo
05-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Tall? To the ridge pole or to the gutters?

loghousenut
05-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I knew a guy whose house got hit by one of them meteors. On the way in it snagged his powerline riser, which busted off and shorted out when it landed on those gutters and the entire neighborhood was out of juice for 3 days.

Apparently those meteors have a high nickel content and that nickel reacted chemically with the aluminum in the gutters and it all stuck together, like when a welding rod sticks, and the electricity just kept flowing til it overheated a bunch of transformers and that's the night when the bottom fell out of transformers.

loghousenut
05-11-2016, 08:32 PM
For the sake of the sanity of all you folks who are new around this forum, may I offer an explanation... This will all make more sense once you have access to the member's side of the forum.

It won't make a LOT of sense, but it will make a little more sense.

LowKey
05-12-2016, 06:37 AM
For the sake of the sanity of all you folks who are new around this forum, may I offer an explanation... This will all make more sense once you have access to the member's side of the forum.

It won't make a LOT of sense, but it will make a little more sense.

What he means to say is that when you get to the members side you will discover that we are all a bunch of stubborn, independent cusses who will give you our unvarnished opinion of what you want to do, then still try to help you hash out how to accomplish what you want even if we think it's the very definition of foolishness and wasted time. We just ask that you demonstrate that you're serious about all this, vs all the Internet lookie-loo's, by attending the class (which requires real world effort ).
That and you'll discover that we have a sense of humor (in some cases twisted) and a sense of community.

So, if you're serious...come on in , the water is fine.

panderson03
05-12-2016, 09:46 AM
now Mr Nut, you're scaring the young'uns.
good damage control there, LowKey.

newcomers, on the member's side questions get answered, advice gets given, jokes get exchanged.

Mr Nut has a very appropriate name

loghousenut
05-12-2016, 12:17 PM
now Mr Nut, you're scaring the young'uns.
good damage control there, LowKey.

newcomers, on the member's side questions get answered, advice gets given, jokes get exchanged.

Mr Nut has a very appropriate name

Thanks for sticking up for me.

rreidnauer
05-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Thanks for sticking up for me.
Oh, was that what that was?

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk

panderson03
05-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Lol !

WyoFox
05-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Hi everybody! My husband and I live in Wyoming and hope to build our dream log house in the coming years (hopefully not too many years). I grew up in Texas and he was raised in Florida, so you could say we are both out of our element. But if you ask us, these mountains are right where we belong!

My father in law has a beautiful log home that he built after attending an LHBA class and that has been our inspiration. He has offered to share his knowledge and experience to help us build our home, but would y'all suggest my husband attend the class himself? It looks like it's sold out in June already so we got in too late for that. Thanks and excited to be here! :D

loghousenut
05-19-2016, 12:18 PM
I first attended class long before I married and had our son. When my Son, Jake was 15 or so, he and I started building this place. Jake has never attended class, but he was raised around this kinda stuff and knew nothing much about any other way to build anything. He had a much more empty mind than you and your husband do and he took to the LHBA system like it was normal.

Oddly enough, though I sometimes think he could teach the class, he and his new Bride, Rebecca, are talking about taking the class together. They understand that I see the process differently than they do and every time we have folks over who have taken the class, Jake and Rebecca hear things that get them asking questions.

If I were you, I'd take the class with your husband. It may seem like wasted money but I don't think it will be wasted money when Jake and Rebecca do it.

Old photo... Jake is the one sitting down. He is tall and skinny now and 6 years older.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010068.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Wow/Rafters9-2010068.jpg.html)

PS... Who is your father-in-law and how long ago did he build that LHBA home, wherever it is?

WyoFox
05-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Hi, it looks like June is sold out. How good are chances he could get in on backorder? (I'd love to go but 1-budget won't allow it and 2-we have a nursing baby so it would make me going much more complicated)

Any idea when the next class will be?

Thanks for the help and LHN I will send you a message, not sure how crazy my f-i-l would be about his name out in a public forum (no offense to anybody but you know, the Internet....)

panderson03
05-22-2016, 12:39 PM
welcome, WyoFox. so good to see LHBA spanning the generations!
yup. take the class. you might pick up some tips your FIL could have missed.
congratulations to the new addition to your family:)

Bedwyr
05-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Hello all. I'm Brandon and am new to log homes...my wife and I close on a log home in two weeks. Look forward to all the great advise and info here.

Cheers

panderson03
05-25-2016, 08:42 AM
hi there. welcome:)

logdog
06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Steve aka logdog, My friend Joe and I just returned from the June 2016 class! I have 8 acres with a creek up near Round Mountain/Burney in Northern CA. I thought the class was great, the entire building process was easy to follow, and yesterday I fell my 1st 5 trees, and am ordering plans for the 30 x 30 and diving in......I know it will be worth it....Just have all the county hoops to jump through!
I hope to gain more knowledge from all of you, and happy to be a part of this community!

panderson03
06-10-2016, 09:32 AM
welcome to the family, Steve and Joe.
send an email to admin and join us on the members side!
glad you're here

Donny
06-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Hello my name is Donny Eisenbach and I am back on the forums after being gone since 2005. In 2005 I was just about to start laying down logs on my 37 ft by 37 ft pier foundation as taught by Skip.

I took the class I think in 1999 sometime and was taught by skip. I took it again I think sometime in 2003 and was taught by Skip. Ellseworth, you were there taking videos. I needed the refresher course because I wasn't paying much attention the first time.

What happened that had me stop building was I got a girlfriend and future wife and 3 kids and with that the need to get a job and start working to get some income.

I started an online business that did very well and consumed all my time and so the logs I had sat out on the property and eventually rotted. They were free logs although I did pay some money for hauling them a few miles to my land.

So now I am making the log house my full time endeavor this year and I am working on putting in the 4 hoisting poles. It's challenging but I think I have a way to do it with a 16 foot tripod and chain hoist.

Thanks for listening,

Donny

loghousenut
06-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Welcome back home, Donny.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

panderson03
06-16-2016, 07:18 AM
welcome back, Donny :)

GoAskDad
06-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for years, and FINALLY decided not just to register for the forum, but ALSO to sign up for the class! My wife (Tina) and I are registered for the September class.
I'm excited and scared at the same time. :eek:
-Joe

mudflap
06-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Welcome! I graduated in the February 13-14 class. I felt the same way. Yesterday, I cut down 4 more trees, and now I think I have 26 total. I'm still excited and scared, but LHBA members are the nicest and most supportive group of people I've ever associated with, so you can relax about that. Best of luck to you.

GoAskDad
06-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Thanks! There's so much here, even on the non-members side to learn from. I haven't posted any questions yet, because I have so many. :-) Plus, I'm just trying to pick up what I can from others asking many the same questions I have too. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of what others have done (either pictures or in person eventually).
Thanks again!
-Joe

Oh, and I'm not able to edit my profile to provide a little more bio info. Does that just come with time (like does my account need to be activated in some way, you think)?

mudflap
06-17-2016, 07:36 AM
I think so. It wouldn't let me add a photo until I was a member.

blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/
password: ABCD1234

loghousenut
06-17-2016, 07:36 AM
I like watching a longtimelurker turn the corner. It reaffirms what I have always known... the system works.

mudflap
06-17-2016, 07:37 AM
*member = took the class, entered the dark side of the forum.... :)

GoAskDad
06-17-2016, 08:08 AM
haha. LongTimeLurker. Maybe I should have made that my username. It's SO fitting. :-)

Btw, mudflap, I started looking through your blog, but have to stop. I'm supposed to be working, so I'll pick it up later. Great read though, and I can't wait to see your cabin when it's all said and done!

mudflap
06-17-2016, 07:41 PM
Thank you. One step at a time. If I think too far ahead, I get overwhelmed.

pstarr7
06-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Hello all!

My name is Pete and I am planning on attending class this Sept with my wife Kelley. currently living in Washington state.

Arrowman
06-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi Pete!

Extra characters to meet limit.

Chief700
06-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Good Afternoon Pete,

Where in Washington are you and Kelly from? My wife and I have property near Lake Wenatchee? I have not gotten her to commit to the class yet.

Be Safe, Scott

loghousenut
06-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Hi Pete!

Extra characters to meet limit.

You oughta be saying Hi to Rod... The only reason he joined is cause they needed extra characters to meet the limit.

Yeah, Pete.... Go ahead and attend class, we need you to balance out Rod.

pstarr7
06-22-2016, 02:14 PM
We are from Spokane, hopefully you can talk your wife into going we are looking forward to meeting people in the Washington area.

pstarr7
06-22-2016, 02:15 PM
You oughta be saying Hi to Rod... The only reason he joined is cause they needed extra characters to meet the limit.

Tyrod yeah we are definitely character is so will fit right in��

pstarr7
06-22-2016, 02:17 PM
And as soon as I figure out how to edit my post it will appear as if I know how to spell

rreidnauer
06-23-2016, 07:15 AM

Dangit! You beat me to the same joke I was about to use on you!

Sent from my Galaxy Edge+ using Tapatalk

loghousenut
06-23-2016, 09:13 AM
The early bird has worms.

GoAskDad
06-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Welcome Pete, Hopefully, we'll get to meet in person in September at the class!

pstarr7
06-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Welcome Pete, Hopefully, we'll get to meet in person in September at the class!

Thanks for the warm welcome, we just finished making reservations; class,hotel etc.. Im more excited then my wife at this point but she is warming up to the idea more and more��

panderson03
06-24-2016, 10:23 AM
welcome to the family, Pstarr7

KStarr7
06-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Hello, Kelley here with Pstarr7, here in Eastern Washington. I'm excited, & nervous about this venture, and looking forward to the class!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

WyoFox
06-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Hello P and K! Getting excited for the class over here too!

Been talking with my husband and we like the idea others are doing of building a small cabin onsite to live in during the build. It'd be approximately the same size as our trailer but sturdy and WARM and keep the critters out, none of which applies to our trailer. Plus the cost is manageable and we can get our hands dirty without the complications of longer walls, more RPSLs, etc. Since we made that decision we are both so excited to get started because it all seems so much less overwhelming. At least for now :)

KStarr7
06-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Hello P and K! Getting excited for the class over here too!

Been talking with my husband and we like the idea others are doing of building a small cabin onsite to live in during the build. It'd be approximately the same size as our trailer but sturdy and WARM and keep the critters out, none of which applies to our trailer. Plus the cost is manageable and we can get our hands dirty without the complications of longer walls, more RPSLs, etc. Since we made that decision we are both so excited to get started because it all seems so much less overwhelming. At least for now :)
I hadn't thought of building a small log home first. Where do you live while are you are building that one? We are trying to decide wether to build on what we have now, or sell and move to a piece of land with usable trees, that has a basic, functional little mobile to live in while we build. We are drooling over all the pictures of student built homes right now. Very cool!

WyoFox
06-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Kelley, we are living in a trailer on my in-laws property here in Wyoming. They built a huge LHBA log house so we see it every day and it has inspired us to do so too. We have a piece of land under contract a few miles away so we thought of staying in the trailer but with 5 young kids running around we're anxious to get out of here! :)

I've heard people talking about building a little cabin first and living there, then building a bigger home. Then the cabin becomes guest quarters.

Swine
07-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Hi all, new to the forum but I took the class 12 years ago (still trying to track records down to get on the members side). Anyway, just wanted to say "hi." I have a few questions related to an existing cabin that I'm looking at (way more backstory) so I'll begin a new thread for that. Preliminarily though, and yes I will get repetitive, I really want to help someone for a day or weekend if anyone is building within 5-8 hours of Northern Utah. Just throwing it out there if anyone needs help with anything. I have a few tools, grew up on a farm (can operate heavy machinery), worked construction and did carpentry for awhile before switching gears to work in education. So, seriously, I have a somewhat flexible schedule and could get away for a little bit if anyone needs an extra hand.

panderson03
07-08-2016, 11:00 AM
welcome home, Swine.
I wish you lived closer to our build; we could use the help:)

BigD
07-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Hi Swine!
I have three swine of my own, going to eat at least one of them this winter. Sorry, I have no idea where that came from...

You are in luck. I think there are a couple of log homes going up soon in the N. Utah area. I know TAG is building in Bear Lake area, and I am going to be building soon in the Uintas. (3 hours from Logan). I will definitely keep you posted as work progresses. I would never turn down a helping hand!

DaveAnder
07-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Hi Swine!
I have three swine of my own, going to eat at least one of them this winter. Sorry, I have no idea where that came from...

You are in luck. I think there are a couple of log homes going up soon in the N. Utah area. I know TAG is building in Bear Lake area, and I am going to be building soon in the Uintas. (3 hours from Logan). I will definitely keep you posted as work progresses. I would never turn down a helping hand!

Count me in on any builds in the north Utah area. I'm actually hoping to build in the Bear Lake area myself. I would love to come help out on a build to gain some experience before I build my own.

Swine
07-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi Swine!

Hey, thanks for this! Keep me updated and shoot me a PM, I'm around SLC and can travel within 5-6 hours super easily. StressMan79 invited me up North but I can't swing 12+ hours driving each way right now. Anyway, hit me up when you need help!

Tmfl
07-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Hey all,
Just entered escrow on my first log home. It is in the Olympia area and was built in '78. At some point I would like to diy a second log home on the property but for now I was hoping for some guidance/advice on things I should be aware of or look for when buying a 38 year old log home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, thank you to the creators and users of the forum, what a great resource!

panderson03
07-18-2016, 06:13 PM
hi there.
some specifics about your first log home might be helpful.
pictures of the structure including the roof overhangs and bottom few rows of logs would be helpful too:)
welcome

Tmfl
07-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will post some pics on Thursday after the home inspection. Anything besides the eve's and bottom logs that I should be looking for? Thanks again.

panderson03
07-20-2016, 09:17 AM
look for signs of rot, and gaps due to settling

GreenEyes
08-10-2016, 05:11 AM
Especially check around doors and windows for gaps or damage from logs settling and making the opening too tight. Make sure windows and doors open and close well.

KStarr7
09-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Old School,

Do you know the difference between a hammer and a cellphone? Smile, you know enough to build your home. Well, along with the family on the other side that is waiting to help and teach. It is rare when the person joining our family has an extensive background in the building industry. We are young, old, male, female, white shirt and tie to scrubs or blue jeans. No high school diploma to graduate degrees.

We are amazing. We are family.
Pstarr7 (hubby) and i just attended the class yesterday. The idea of "family working together" is so appealing. We are excited to meet new family members in our area, and we want to roll up our sleves and learn as we work. We live in Spokane WA area.

loghousenut
09-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I never been much on learning. Too much sweat involved in it. Welcome to the club.

panderson03
09-05-2016, 04:47 PM
welcome to the family, kstarrs

TheBoatie's
09-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Howdy All!!
The Boatie's here. We are so blessed that we have been turned on to this blog and the fellowship that it brings. We missed out on the latest class, but will be keeping a keen eye out for the next available. We are planning to relocate our family this coming summer to Northern Idaho from Texas.

loghousenut
09-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Yer gonna have to do something about that handle... Booties just don't sound proper on a log home forum.

Welcome home. You'll love the class, and northern Idaho is right in the heart of log home territory.

AndreaPalladio
09-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm a new member. My name is Malcolm and I'm in Clark County in the state of Washington. I'm looking forward to helping my fellow members out with their builds as well as exchanging information. :)

TheBoatie's
09-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Loghousenut - Good news is it's not Booties, phonetic sound is Boaty. It's short for my last name and has been a nickname forever.

So... When does next years class schedule come out?

loghousenut
09-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Loghousenut - Good news is it's not Booties, phonetic sound is Boaty. It's short for my last name and has been a nickname forever.

So... When does next years class schedule come out?

Well, that is good news indeed! I can stomach Boaties much better than Booties. My own name sounds phonetically similar to "Fatron"... I use my longtime nickname, LHN, instead. These things are important to a persons image.

HeckifIknow when the classes will be held next year. I think there is a place to sign up for notification somewhere on the site.

3degreenerd
09-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the site, looks like they just announced the next class for February 18-19 next year. Right before presidents day so I will be there hopefully this time, I missed the last class as well!

Russell Snow
09-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Hi I am Russell Snow, I took the class in May 2016. I am currently living in Antelope Valley California. Is there anyone building near here that I can help out a day to see what it really looks like?

Chaplain45
09-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Hello, I am Dave. My wife and I just closed on 10 acres in Brown County Indiana. We love the rolling hills and the fall foliage. We are hoping to attend the class in February. I have been reading threads and blogs since April. We are very excited about building our log home.

Beldar67
09-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Hi, all!

I'm Ken Dye. I'm 49 years old, never married & no kids (these days, you actually have to point that out), and I have a building spot in the NW corner of North Carolina on a mountain. I took the class in late May & learned a lot but know it's only the beginning. I'm hoping to be able to build in the next 2-3 years assuming I can afford to, but working on that front with an investment that should come through in a couple of years. That's when I'll start looking to build ASAP...I have to get out of this drug corridor town (Florence, SC) where gang members shot me in the back but at least I can still walk. Needless to say, I'll need help with labor somehow, and class at least gave me a couple of ideas of where to look when the time comes.

My idea is to build a 2-story 30 x 30 house, perhaps with a basement as well. I am thinking the roof may be the biggest issue considering snowfall, plus the foundation & how deep the frost line may be.

I'll end the intro here. Good reading on this forum and I hope to get to know some of you better! PLEASE let me know if you live in/near SC or NW NC. Perhaps we can help each other somehow.

loghousenut
09-12-2016, 10:20 AM
We have a lot in common, Ken... I live on the drug corridor of the other coast. I think every meth cook is required to make a pilgrimage to my County at least once in his/her career.

TAB
09-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the forum everybody. Stick around and keep reading.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

brien
09-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Hi all,

New member from Sacramento checking in. My wife and I are in escrow to buy 7.5 acres in Northern CA. We've been looking for years and finally found an amazing piece of property a little over an hour from our house. It has a seasonal creek going along the North side of the property and a year round creek going through another part of the property. It's at about 2,000 feet in elevation and has hundreds of large pine trees, which has us now thinking of a log home.

We'd like to build a vacation house on the property within the next 3-5 years. If we like spending time up there it might be where we'd retire to in 20 or so years. Even though a log home wasn't on our radar, after seeing all the trees we're beginning to think a log home would be appropriate. We'd really like to be able to use the trees on the property to build the house with. But I understand there are some things we'll need to consider if we do this.

It's been interesting to see all of the log home options from buying the shell and having it installed to doing it yourself. We've remodeled several homes before so I feel pretty comfortable doing a lot of work myself. I also have a friend who's a general contractor and he has built homes from the ground up too. So I feel I have the resources and ability to do it myself, I just don't know if that's the direction we want to go.

Fortunately, we'll have a few years to think these things through. In the mean time we'll need to clear a tremendous amount of undergrowth and clear a home site. The property is on a hill/ridge with the water running by below. We'd like to build where the house will over look the year round creek below.

I look forward to following this forum and hopefully learning a lot more.

loghousenut
09-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Consider taking the LHBA class and building your own log home with your own hands. Your Grandkids will never forget you.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/FB7BA9EC-D046-459B-906A-A3CA2EC51E9E_zpsjiodd1vx.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/FB7BA9EC-D046-459B-906A-A3CA2EC51E9E_zpsjiodd1vx.jpg.html)

Yes, you can do it. We are just up I-5 from you if you want to check out our build.

mudflap
09-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Consider taking the LHBA class and building your own log home with your own hands. Your Grandkids will never forget you.

Yes, you can do it. We are just up I-5 from you if you want to check out our build.

LHN = everybody's cheerleader on this forum. LHN's the one that inspired me. Took the class this year after lurking and 15 years of research into whether building your own log home was possible. So far, I've got 40 logs up on racks, another 7 on the ground, and about 20 to go before I can start stacking. Most people are smarter than me- they get their logs delivered. Welcome to the forum!

Arrowman
09-15-2016, 12:49 PM
LHN = everybody's cheerleader on this forum. LHN's the one that inspired me. Took the class this year after lurking and 15 years of research into whether building your own log home was possible. So far, I've got 40 logs up on racks, another 7 on the ground, and about 20 to go before I can start stacking. Most people are smarter than me- they get their logs delivered. Welcome to the forum!

I chose to build one because my therapist advised me to get in touch with my inner masochist.

loghousenut
09-15-2016, 01:19 PM
I chose to build one because my therapist advised me to get in touch with my inner masochist.
I'm his inner masochist, and so far he has avoided me ever since he went to class.

Double_J_Ranch
09-18-2016, 06:12 PM
I have been watching this site for years. I wished I'd attended when it was close in Washington where i live. I know when Skip was alive, it was held in Monroe? I know he moves to the Phillipines and hjs since, passed away and now his son has taken over. I am glad to see they offer classes that are not on the crowded 3 day weekends, ie memorial and labor day etc. I may attend the one in Feb, hashing out logistics now.

I own outright, 40.52 acres of timberland near the Okanogan National Forest. I have a solar well on the place, have been developing the land for some time, its 2 20 acres lots side by side. I just purchased the second 20 in 2014. It has about 95% Ponderosa pines, rest of Douglas Fir. I had a well drilled back in 06 one year after I bought the first 20 acres. I have just recently trimmed out the well with a solar livestock well. Basically, I flip a switch, water runs out at about 2.8 gallons a minute. The front 20 acres if fully fenced in with 4 runs of barbed wire. I will fence off the newest addition soon.

I have a cabin I built myself on the front 20 acres. I only contracted out the foundation and the metal on the roof, rest was done by myself. I used a full footing/stemwall with no outside crawl space access. I pulled permits myself. I purchased every tool a contractor could use, air nailers of every kind, table saws, worm drive Skil, Multi tool, sawzall..... but made sure everything would run off of my Honda EU2000i generator.

Anyway, I still have the itch to retire into a log home. I have the land, I have the timber, I have plenty of space. I retire in 6 years, wife retires the same time. So I want to build out log home myself. Wifes family is all brick/stone masons, so that will help out loads. :D

I have pictures of my gorgeous stick built cabin, but not sure if I can post them without them being on a server.

BoFuller
09-18-2016, 08:05 PM
Go for it. I started mine when I was 64 and finished it in 2 years. I have since retired and love every minute of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

loghousenut
09-19-2016, 12:16 AM
I have been watching this site for years. I wished I'd attended when it was close in Washington where i live. I know when Skip was alive, it was held in Monroe? I know he moves to the Phillipines and hjs since, passed away and now his son has taken over. I am glad to see they offer classes that are not on the crowded 3 day weekends, ie memorial and labor day etc. I may attend the one in Feb, hashing out logistics now.

I own outright, 40.52 acres of timberland near the Okanogan National Forest. I have a solar well on the place, have been developing the land for some time, its 2 20 acres lots side by side. I just purchased the second 20 in 2014. It has about 95% Ponderosa pines, rest of Douglas Fir. I had a well drilled back in 06 one year after I bought the first 20 acres. I have just recently trimmed out the well with a solar livestock well. Basically, I flip a switch, water runs out at about 2.8 gallons a minute. The front 20 acres if fully fenced in with 4 runs of barbed wire. I will fence off the newest addition soon.

I have a cabin I built myself on the front 20 acres. I only contracted out the foundation and the metal on the roof, rest was done by myself. I used a full footing/stemwall with no outside crawl space access. I pulled permits myself. I purchased every tool a contractor could use, air nailers of every kind, table saws, worm drive Skil, Multi tool, sawzall..... but made sure everything would run off of my Honda EU2000i generator.

Anyway, I still have the itch to retire into a log home. I have the land, I have the timber, I have plenty of space. I retire in 6 years, wife retires the same time. So I want to build out log home myself. Wifes family is all brick/stone masons, so that will help out loads. :D

I have pictures of my gorgeous stick built cabin, but not sure if I can post them without them being on a server.

Yeah,you are a bonehead... You shoulda taken the class in 1981 like I did. That means there is no hope for you and you will die a lonely old man in an apartment in Sultan (that's Washington... look it up Bo).

loghousenut
09-19-2016, 12:23 AM
Or you could take the class and get on with your life before you really are a lonely old man in that apartment in Sultan. Imagine how old you are going to be in 10 years... now imagine how old you'll be in 10 years if you take the LHBA class in February.

If you get with it right now, you'll most likely be done before I am and I am currently really old.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Ron68_zpse7c092b7.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Ron68_zpse7c092b7.jpg.html)

Life is really good, either way... Take the class, JJ

cianiedalope
10-02-2016, 05:48 AM
Hello, I really don't know what Im doing. I stumbled on this site because i was looking for answers. My 83 year old mom owns a house on a 7 acre property in the woods of New Jersey. This house became dilapidated when my father got sick and passed away in 2009. My mother lives with us since the house is unrepairable. My father was a pastor and he spent his life in the ministry, serving and helping others. During his time, churches from the city would come, stay in the house, and camp out in his land as a retreat. It was an enjoyable and prosperous time in the ministry. Before my dad passed away, he instructed us to never sell the land. Since then, we have hired and spent several thousands to have the house repaired, but had no luck in contractors who destroyed the house even more. Now, the house is unrepairable and has to come down. We're stuck with taxes and have no more money to spend. We were heart broken to make a decision to go against our dad's wishes to sell the property. We had no choice.We had a buyer last April but the sale fell through because he couldn't get a lone from the bank. Wow. This to us was a sign that we shouldn't sell the property.Now, we are faced with this burden, what are we going to do? It's clear to us that the house has to come down. If i were to dream, i would love to have a log cabin in place of the house, and use the house and the property as a camping ground for churches to go to and have their retreat. One big factor, we have very little money. My Mom used up all her retirement money to try to fix the old house. I work full-time and a mother of two who are in college. But is building a log cabin a possible dream? I am 5'2" and weigh 130 lbs (well maybe more);-) Will i be able to do this? Or who can i ask to help me do this? Anyone here in the East Coast know how to build a Butt and Pass Log Cabin?I would like to attend the class in Feb 2017, but it's on the other side of the country. Im in New Jersey. Can anyone please bring me back to my senses and break my bubble. Im posting this to get answers. Thanks for any inspiring feedback.

rreidnauer
10-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Rarely would I suggest what I am about to suggest, but I believe it would be for the best.

You already say that you are behind on taxes. To pour any more money into a property you are on the verge of having taken away from you is a bad choice. You already lost so much to bad contractors with nothing to show for it. Why would you consider repeating the past?

I believe selling it is your wisest choice. You can aquire more land with WAY lower taxes in places other than NJ, then keep your father's legacy alive, of a property to span the generations. As it stands now, it sounds like you will lose the land to the gov't, and your father's wishes with it.

Tough decision, I know. But if keeping land in the family was what he was hoping for, I see no better path to achieve it.

pip1972
10-04-2016, 09:49 AM
I posted last week can not locate my post. Been a lurker but now....Ive got a handle. Thanks for the words of advice, recommendations etc.

panderson03
10-04-2016, 01:52 PM
:) welcome pip!

bensanders
10-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Hi!!!

My name is Ben. I just took the class this September and bought the floor plans last week. I am preparing to build in the Spring. I might even try and get the piers in the ground before it freezes in late November. I am from Southeast Montana on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation. I hope to be in touch as my project gets rolling!

Beers,

Benjamin

loghousenut
10-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Good having you around, Ben. Get over to the other side of the forum and we'll all have a party for you.

clarksal
10-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Evening - I'm Sally. I bought a nice flat acre near Mt. Lassen in Northern California. My husband and I are signed up for class in February and can't wait. We've been reading all the notes and viewing the LHBA site for several months getting ideas, looking at pictures, reading what others have done, and are super eager.

Nick
10-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Evening - I'm Sally. I bought a nice flat acre near Mt. Lassen in Northern California. My husband and I are signed up for class in February and can't wait. We've been reading all the notes and viewing the LHBA site for several months getting ideas, looking at pictures, reading what others have done, and are super eager.
Welcome Sally! Which February class?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

clarksal
10-25-2016, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=Nick;132584]Welcome Sally! Which February class?

Hey Nick - We are signed up for the President's day weekend class, February 18th/19th 2017

Nick
10-25-2016, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Nick;132584]Welcome Sally! Which February class?

Hey Nick - We are signed up for the President's day weekend class, February 18th/19th 2017
Fantastic! Look forward to seeing you there. You'll love the class.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ALM1983
12-14-2016, 07:35 AM
My name is Alex, and I've dreamed and dreamed and dreamed of building a small log cabin for a good 24 hours now.

Backstory: I'm in my 30s, single, and living in Charleston, S.C. It's my hometown, and where my family is (or was) based. Unfortunately, my sister is moving to Boston, my parents are moving to Pawley's Island, and I'm suddenly considering a move to Colorado. Would I rather buy some old, cramped place in the city -- or buy a few acres outside of town and build the coolest, coziest log cabin of all time?

The latter option intrigues me.

So, I'm here to learn whatever I can about materials, design, etc.

Hi.

donjuedo
12-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Welcome, Alex. Read what you find interesting here, take a look at the student homes, and ask questions.

Peter

panderson03
12-14-2016, 11:07 AM
welcome Alex!

loghousenut
12-14-2016, 02:51 PM
That "building a cute little cabin in Colorado" thing has been done to death, Alex. Just take the class and go to Colorado and live in an apartment in town someplace.

That ought to do the trick just fine.

John17three
12-14-2016, 06:08 PM
My name is Alex, and I've dreamed and dreamed and dreamed of building a small log cabin for a good 24 hours now.

Backstory: I'm in my 30s, single, and living in Charleston, S.C. It's my hometown, and where my family is (or was) based. Unfortunately, my sister is moving to Boston, my parents are moving to Pawley's Island, and I'm suddenly considering a move to Colorado. Would I rather buy some old, cramped place in the city -- or buy a few acres outside of town and build the coolest, coziest log cabin of all time?

The latter option intrigues me.

So, I'm here to learn whatever I can about materials, design, etc.

Hi.

My pastor relocated from Charleston, S.C. to my obscure little county seat town in SW MO. Cheap land here. Pine is within an hour driving distance. Cost of living is decent, and depending where ya buy, there are larger cities within a short commute. Definitely cheaper than Colorado, though.

Keep dreaming, take a step, you'll be coming (in?)famous like LHN (LogHouseNut)

Loggity Dog
01-12-2017, 06:46 AM
Hi All! My wife and I are living near Roanoke, VA. We've recently relocated from Texas as a result of my military retirement. I sent Mandy to the last class in 2016, so she bears all the log building knowledge. I'm excited about plugging in with you guys to see if we can actually do this thing. I'd love to get out to some build sites if there any going on around us or in NC! We look forward to engaging!
Thanks,
Rob and Mandy

Arrowman
01-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Hi All! My wife and I are living near Roanoke, VA. We've recently relocated from Texas as a result of my military retirement. I sent Mandy to the last class in 2016, so she bears all the log building knowledge. I'm excited about plugging in with you guys to see if we can actually do this thing. I'd love to get out to some build sites if there any going on around us or in NC! We look forward to engaging!
Thanks,
Rob and Mandy

There are several going on in that area. I know the resident expert has his he's building somewhere in that general area, mine is a few short hours down in NC just north of Charlotte. There is another member somewhere between charlotte and Roanoke that is somewhere in the process as well. Not sure where exactly, I haven't touched base with him in a few months. I'm doing framing right now. Logs are up and most of the roof decking is on. You are always welcome to stop by for as long or short a time as you want.

Loggity Dog
01-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Arrowman,
Thanks for the invite! Its about three hours for us and we will surely drop by at some point. We've always got to worry about our three dogs and the two-year-old in tow! But other than that, we'd really like to come by and see what you're up to! Hope to hear from the folks between us and you as well.
Thanks again.
Rob

INTREPITREE
01-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Hello everyone,

I am writing today from Cold Springs, Ontario, Canada. My wife and I have are currently searching for a building site, but have access to a large family woodlot filled with mature oak, maple, poplar, white pine and red pine.

We would eventually like to build a small log home or a timberframe home. I have recently purchased and refurbished an older bandsaw mill, and I am slowing acquiring the necessary tools and knowledge.

I am interested in taking some courses in both types of building, and am in general very interested in natural building.

Thanks, and I look forward to speaking with and learning from everyone!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudflap
01-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Welcome, new people- wishing you all the best in your journey- I took the class in Feb. 2016, so coming up on a year. I've almost got all my logs, will probably start stacking in a month. #3 best thing I've ever done!

Arrowman
01-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Arrowman,
Thanks for the invite! Its about three hours for us and we will surely drop by at some point. We've always got to worry about our three dogs and the two-year-old in tow! But other than that, we'd really like to come by and see what you're up to! Hope to hear from the folks between us and you as well.
Thanks again.
Rob
Dogs and kids are no big deal. I have a few of my own. You're welcome anytime.

rocklock
01-13-2017, 05:35 PM
I am writing today from Cold Springs, Ontario, Canada. My wife and I have are currently searching for a building site, but have access to a large family woodlot filled with mature oak, maple, poplar, white pine and red pine.
We would eventually like to build a small log home or a timber frame home. I have recently purchased and refurbished an older bandsaw mill,
I am interested in taking some courses in both types of building, and am in general very interested in natural building.

I have built a log home and I have a neighbor that built a timber frame. I went to the class and learned what I needed. My neighbor built many templates and lots of stuff for his timber frame plus he had some one to help him... IN other words, a but and pass log home is for the unskilled but willing to work. A timber frame requires a moderate amount amount of skill and a bunch of people during the initial erection phase. A butt and pass log home can be built easily by two people or one person that can work really hard.

I have used mixed logs, but they had the same taper. Mixing tapers can be a problem. but can be over come.

In very cold areas I would suggest a basement because of the depth that the foundation requires almost a free area...

The very best thing that one can do is to look at the student build homes... Everyone is amazing....

Good luck

JBloghome
01-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Hi Steve and fellow log home-lovers,

I am completely new to the idea of building a log home and had just been looking at some of the different topics in this forum. I just had one question that perhaps you(Steve)or one of the fellow members on here could help me with. I'm looking at purchasing a small plot of land (1.2 acres) in El Dorado county, Northern California and have seen most of the members here say that it's the worst place to build due to all of the county restrictions and fees. Would you or anyone else have a general idea what it would cost in the way of permits and fees to build a 1200 sq ft cabin. I know that this isnt a simple cut and dry question, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at checking out the class in Vegas come February, but wanted some realistic advice before doing so.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Jordan

Steve
01-23-2017, 01:13 AM
Hi Jordan, welcome to the LHBA :)

I've never built in El Dorado, but they do have a building department page here (https://edcgov.us/Government/Building/Residential_Permit.aspx), and there is a link to the PDF planning fees document here (http://www.edcgov.us/Community-Development/Documents/CDA_Fee_Increase_7-2016.aspx). I looked through those and it takes a bit more detail than we have to calculate the cost.

If this were my project, I would walk right in to the planning department and tell them I wanted to build a house and ask for the requirements, just to see how they react. Try to get a feel for how they treat owner-builders and what sort of costs you can expect to pay. Then I would find a structural engineer who is licensed in CA and who seems enthusiastic about working on log homes. They will be able to give you a much better picture of what is going to be involved there.

Maybe we have some members around your way who can chime in with more info...

Steve

Little Eagle
01-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the LHBA, great site for know how and do it yourselfer's who are not afraid to smash a finger! Hello Jordan, welcome aboard! Watch out for loghousenut is a sneaky kinda fellow with the strangest ideas . . . .

rreidnauer
01-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Loghousenut is a saint and a scholar, and would never dare think of doing or saying anything in the name of trickery or silliness.

I know, because he paid me to say so.

Little Eagle
01-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Loghousenut is a saint and a scholar, and would never dare think of doing or saying anything in the name of trickery or silliness.

I know, because he paid me to say so.

Very nice Ron just hang poor LHN out there to dry huh lol!

BoFuller
01-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Throw him under the bus. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

loghousenut
01-25-2017, 07:49 PM
I know loghousenut personally and I'll have you know that he is all that and more... pretty good bus mechanic too, so just toss him under that bus and let him go to work.

Welcome Jordan and I wish you luck building in California... or moving to Oregon.

mudflap
01-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Ha ha! Whenever I need a good laugh, LHN pulls up, opens the door to his bus, and says, "climb aboard!" :)

Little Eagle
01-26-2017, 03:36 AM
LHN seems to have a great knack for that mudflap!

I am sure i have missed more people then just Jordan who have came to be part of the LHBA family, so if i have not said to you then im saying now, welcome to the best side of the internet! :D

clarksal
02-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Hi Jordan-My husband and I are next county over -Sacramento County. I don't know a whole lot about building in El Dorado county, but you can be thankful you are not building in Placer County. I have a realtor friend who aprised me of some of the newer requirements in Placer County regarding clearing land and a new cost per tree fee structure. Yikes!

We have purchased an acre in Shasta County, near Mt. Lassen, signed up for February's class, and intend to build a cabin on our lot. I've never dealt with Shasta county's building department, but the sense I get from my new neighbors and talking to other locals near our lot, Shasta county is a bit more relaxed.

-Sally

Damon Knox
02-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Hi Folks! I'm Damon Knox, Husband to Sally Clark - and despite what the cashier at the supermarket thinks when we shop together, I am not Mr. Clark :). We just attended (well, Sally attended and I showed up when not totally exhausted) the class in Sin City on Feb. 18 (2017). I must say - anyone wondering if this class is worth it - yes it's worth it. You flatly cannot learn this by reading some book, or online article. These guys are absolutely the real deal. And, the coffee was pretty good.
I hope to meet each and every one of you some day. Now, before I ask any dumb questions, or ask for answers that are already in some thread or another... I have to actually go read the material and the notes. There is definitely no possible way to get all of the 'tips' provided in the class - anywhere but in that class, or in a conversation with Steve or Ellsworth. And those tips are actually the most important part. If you go to one of these get-togethers, be prepared to write until your hand hurts. Then, have one of the provided bits of nourishment, take a deep breath, and go write some more. You won't regret it. If you thought that building your own mortgage-free, nearly indestructible home was impossible or too expensive, then you were not paying attention. I'll be back when I have digested what I have already received :).
- Damon

BigD
02-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Hi Damon,
Glad to hear you had a great experience with the class. I think I felt the exact same way when my wife and I finished the class.
I think when you get to the member side of the forum you will find that the river of knowledge just keeps flowing!
-Dana

GinaC
02-23-2017, 05:46 AM
Hello all!

My name is Gina and I've dreamed of living in a log cabin ever since I read "Little House in the Big Woods" when I was a kid. I remember the part about Pa cutting down logs and building the family's cabin, and that really spoke to my heart. I always thought I'd have to build a kit, but was disappointed in the way they looked. Imagine my delight when I found you guys last month!

I've recently come into an inheritance that will allow me to live my dream, and I'm thinking of building in Northern Vermont. My preference would be Quebec, but I'm disabled and I don't think I'll have enough money to get into the country as an investor. Anyway, yes, I have fibromyalgia and my energy depletes after about 3 hours, so I'm going to need a whole lotta help building this thing.

I know I just missed the last class. :( I will definitely be signing up for the next one though!

loghousenut
02-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Welcome aboard Gina. Yup, take the class. You don't wanna end up in no kit house.

Thelindseyclan
02-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Hello All!
We wanted to introduce ourselves to the community. We just took the class Feb 18. My wife and I are so glad we took the class and we definitely feel more prepared to start our journey. Lord willing we will be building in Georgia soon. Also is there any ga builds going on right now ? We would love to get to know some of you and get some first hand knowledge and experience. Thanks I'm Ryan and my wife is Meloney

ivanshayka
02-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Welcome to the family Lindseys.

Arrowman
02-23-2017, 06:07 PM
I don't know if there are any active Georgia builds right now, but Mudflap is west of you and Mossey and I are both north east of you. I won't speak for them if they want visitors, but you are welcome to drop by my place anytime.

Thelindseyclan
02-23-2017, 06:18 PM
Sounds Awesome, I appreciate the invite. We are in the early stages looking for property and transitioning out of our house. All with a bunch of little kids, I don't know if we are crazy or just hopeful lol either way it's going to be a awesome journey!

loghousenut
02-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Yer crazy.

Just the way we like you.

Arrowman
02-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Sounds Awesome, I appreciate the invite. We are in the early stages looking for property and transitioning out of our house. All with a bunch of little kids, I don't know if we are crazy or just hopeful lol either way it's going to be a awesome journey!

I've got four myself. I just put em to work on the build.

Thelindseyclan
02-24-2017, 01:52 PM
That's awesome we have six and most all of them could do something around a build site

Arrowman
02-24-2017, 04:31 PM
That's awesome we have six and most all of them could do something around a build site

My view is they can be helpful or distracting. Choice is up to us. But for what I spend to feed and clothe them, they can spend 18 years in indentured servitude to me.

Mosseyme
02-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Just make sure they know safety is always first and put them to work. You will most likely have the kids that are the envy of your friends if you start them young. Work ethics is a rare thing these days and really only a part of you if it happens young.
Where in Ga are you? We are building in Murphy NC area.

loghousenut
02-24-2017, 07:04 PM
And remember... every one of them is a blessing.

rreidnauer
02-25-2017, 09:29 AM
And remember... every one of them is a blessing.
. . . even when you get that phone call from the police station at 1 AM telling you to come pick them up.

Thelindseyclan
02-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Just make sure they know safety is always first and put them to work. You will most likely have the kids that are the envy of your friends if you start them young. Work ethics is a rare thing these days and really only a part of you if it happens young.
Where in Ga are you? We are building in Murphy NC area.

That's the plan and they are young! We live in Covington Ga. We want to build a little further out in the country though but we are somewhat limited to my job location. Sounds like you guys aren't that far from us. How far are you into your build? Also let us know if u need any rookie builder help ;)

Mosseyme
02-25-2017, 02:19 PM
We have the roof on, working on porches and decks. Need to get the siding on the gable ends, Need to get bird blocks placed. Then chinking in spring. Also have the windows to go in but waiting for me to get them painted first. Almost have the basement ready to use for painting but will have a few weeks down time for back surgery. Hoping by May we can start chinking. We would be glad for a visit when you can.

pip1972
03-01-2017, 02:35 AM
I finally made it to.....the Dark side.... ;) My wife and I took the class last weekend, though she was not feeling well... I finally can see behind the curtain. Following Ivan in his build. Read his posts last night. I am excited about what I have to learn and the relationships that will be built in this journey. Pip is the handle but Phil is the name and looking forward to this new chapter. The avatar is of our place in eastern Michigan looking out the front yard where we want to build.

ivanshayka
03-01-2017, 06:53 AM
Welcome Phil. Glad to have u join the family of builders. If you ever make it to around Traverse City, contact me. There are few members up here that have built or planning on building.

Where is your proximity in eastern MI.

aaroncgi
03-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Aaron and I have been bitten by the log home bug recently. :) I'm glad to be here and enjoy looking at all the wonderful homes built by so many of you. My wife and I hope to build our own some day, but that time is still quite a few years off.

mudflap
03-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the forum! We have 6 kids, boys aren't much help (they are too old to tell them what to do- about to move out anyway), but my 5 year old daughter helps more than they did. I took the class a year before you. I'll give you an idea how far you can come in a year: we bought land right after the class, then immediately started cutting trees. Then came the tractor, more trees, learned how to weld, more trees, drawing some plans, and more trees. I start digging tomorrow. Goal: roof on this summer.

mudflap
03-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Dangit! Forgot to mention we are building just outside Huntsville, AL. I don't live on-site, so message me before you come.

Chris lindblad
03-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Just took the class last weekend. Building in the Colorado Rockies. Most likely going to build the 30x30

RobnettAcres
03-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Hey, we finally took the class this past February 18th and 19th! We have been busy trying to figure out the land situation and where we are hopefully going to get our logs! Figured it was past time to introduce ourselves! We are in northern Indiana (referred to as Michiana-border of MI and IN). We are hoping to be able to break ground in about a month! We are currently living in an RV (BRRR!!) with a 2 yr old, and now another on the way, so we are going to need to build, build, BUILD! lol

buddyrough
03-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Hello, Steve,
I took the class in February and would like to purchase the bundle.

Where do I find the products on this website.
I have browsed the site but most places I go tell me that my account is not activated.

Any help?

Randy Krueger

StressMan79
03-06-2017, 04:45 PM
https://goo.gl/images/wuX1Ie

rreidnauer
03-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Hey, we finally took the class this past February 18th and 19th! We have been busy trying to figure out the land situation and where we are hopefully going to get our logs! Figured it was past time to introduce ourselves! We are in northern Indiana (referred to as Michiana-border of MI and IN). We are hoping to be able to break ground in about a month! We are currently living in an RV (BRRR!!) with a 2 yr old, and now another on the way, so we are going to need to build, build, BUILD! lol
What? I'm never cold in my RV. :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/woodstove.jpg

Admin
03-06-2017, 05:45 PM
I took the class in February and would like to purchase the bundle.

Where do I find the products on this website.
I have browsed the site but most places I go tell me that my account is not activated.

We just sent you an email with those details... if you need more help send us an email at info@buildloghomes.org.