PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

RobnettAcres
03-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Now that's the setup we need!! That would have seen us through those negative temps perfectly!!

Arrowman
03-07-2017, 07:40 AM
What? I'm never cold in my RV. :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/woodstove.jpg

Where's the fresh air exchanger on that stove? Have to be energy efficient, Rod....

rreidnauer
03-07-2017, 07:47 AM
I've seen it done several ways. Another member built a mudroom off the side of his motor home, put a woodstove in it, and jut leaves the motor home door open. Convection currents cause hot air to go in the motor home, and cold air to pour into the mudroom. Works like a dream. I saw another couple on YouTube who put the whole trailer in a portable garage, with a big wood burner at the back end, heating the RV, garage, and all!

Ccgclark
03-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Hello everyone.... first time poster, long time dreamer. Actually my wife would say professional dreamer. But here I am...just got back from southern Colorado looking at land and I am signed up for the class in may. We will be buying land next month and setting up camp on it and starting to clear it and put in well and septic. I am really excited about the class and look forward to this adventure or as our family likes to call it "this insanity". Anyway....hello again to everyone.

loghousenut
03-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Well, you are clearly nuts. Welcome home.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

rocklock
03-10-2017, 03:20 PM
Hello everyone.... first time poster, long time dreamer. Actually my wife would say professional dreamer. But here I am...just got back from southern Colorado looking at land and I am signed up for the class in may. We will be buying land next month and setting up camp on it and starting to clear it and put in well and septic. I am really excited about the class and look forward to this adventure or as our family likes to call it "this insanity". Anyway....hello again to everyone.

Keep us posted. After you have taken the class, you may want to start your own thread documenting your home build. Good Luck

Chaplain45
04-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Welcome Ccgclark!
We just took the class Feb. 17-18. We are dreamers with you, and we believe these dreams will come true.

bbreland19
04-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Hi all. Just signed up for the May 27/28 class, booked and ready to go. This has been a dream of my wife and I for over 20 years. We're looking forward to getting started on the process. Look forward to meeting others at the class.

-Billy

Mosseyme
04-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Welcome to our big happy family, well we have a few little tussles between brothers but all is good.

BoFuller
04-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Welcome to our big happy family, well we have a few little tussles between brothers but all is good.

I don't know what she's talking about.

The only issues I recall is my brother is the king of thread hi-jacking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

loghousenut
04-18-2017, 10:14 PM
There you go again Bo. Nice peaceful thread congratulating folks for having the foresight to go to the class and take their future into their own two hands, and darned if you don't go and comandere it for your own nefarious (look it up, Bo) and misguided devices.

Love, Ron.

BoFuller
04-19-2017, 06:09 PM
There you go again Bo. Nice peaceful thread congratulating folks for having the foresight to go to the class and take their future into their own two hands, and darned if you don't go and comandere it for your own nefarious (look it up, Bo) and misguided devices.

Love, Ron.

Yeah, and that too.

I think.

Whatever it was you said.

Sort of.

That was a compliment, wasn't it?

Thanks, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GinaC
06-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Finally got most of the stuff done that needed to get done before I could even start thinking about my own house. September class, here I come! (And I get to visit my godparents in Sacramento as well!) \o/

I know it's months off, but I'm starting to get really excited now!

loghousenut
06-12-2017, 10:06 PM
We're waiting for you Gina. Keep an eye on Bo.

panderson03
06-13-2017, 03:48 PM
glad you're jumping in Gina:)

loghousenut
06-13-2017, 11:31 PM
I am most certainly NOT jumping on Gina!

That's the kinduva rumor that we can't afford in my household.

loghousenut
06-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Oh... jumping IN

never mind

GinaC
06-14-2017, 08:03 AM
8O

But I think I did start it by saying I was getting excited. :p

On another note, I am constantly seeing trucks full of logs go by every time I drive somewhere nowadays. Such a tease! (I am currently in South Georgia but I hope to build in northern Vermont. Lots of white pine down here, I guess.)

Tirnan
06-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Grant (Tirnan) here,

I probably introduced myself when I joined about a year ago.

I have been quietly reading the public forums off and on the past year. My wife and I are excited to be going on this adventure. We hope to be heading to Vegas this September along with one of my sons and possibly my daughters fiance.

We know where we want to end up (Idaho Falls, ID area) and have potential work there. Now it is just a matter of putting it all together via some classroom knowledge.

panderson03
07-01-2017, 06:39 PM
8O

But I think I did start it by saying I was getting excited. :p

LOL !!! you're going to fit in well here, Gina!

panderson03
07-01-2017, 06:39 PM
welcome back, Grant!

wolfiebear
07-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Hey. . .Inga here, and I live up high in Colorado, above Leadville . . .home of the Unsinkable Molly Brown!

I'm pretty artsy fartsy and into playing keyboards, but I used to be in architecture too and I think it's still in my blood.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy land and build.

I've got money… Ive got desire… I'm looking for somebody to team up with to make more money building for self and/or sale, as I am temporarily semi disabled. I'll get better again but the question is how long will it take … And I'm ready to go now.

I already made a post on this, but am not finding it, so I am posting about it here too. ;-)

Cheers,

panderson03
07-26-2017, 08:32 AM
welcome aboard Inga.
Wileyloghomes.com is a LHBH gent who sometimes can be hired to help other's build!

shawna.hansen4
07-31-2017, 12:45 PM
Good Afternoon!
My husband, Donn and I took the class September 2016. The logs are peeled and we are preparing the ground for a slab will all the plumbing etc... to start piling logs on. Very excited - slightly exhausted.
Shawna Hansen

sdart
07-31-2017, 05:31 PM
Hi Shawna and welcome,
Come on over to the Members side of the forum and start your build thread!
Sarah

Chaplain45
07-31-2017, 06:13 PM
Welcome Shawna and Donn,
Sounds like you have a great start on your home.
Dave

Chris CA
08-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Finally, pulled the trigger. Its been almost 7 years of lurking around the website and forum to convince me to get my ass to Vegas. Plans a little more focused so I thought now is as good a time as any. Saw a few people were coming to next months class. Look forward to meeting everyone. I will be coming in from Northern California. Plan is to build locally in the Sierras somewhere. Chris

loghousenut
08-06-2017, 04:52 AM
Excellent plan. Where in the Sierras is the bullseye?

Welcome aboard.

Chris CA
08-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the hospitable email. Planning involves bullseyes? And actually making decisions? Oh no, what have I gotten myself into here????

I like just the planning.... Well my bullseye(S) is probably south of Tahoe and north of Fresno. And eastern side seems to have less fire threats.
I think I will have to narrow that down. But all in good time. My intention with log building is in support of a nonprofit so I will not be alone when
the arrow finally strikes its target. (Metaphors are too much fun.) Wanting space enough to develop a camp like setting for children. Maybe
even include a treehouse and things fun.

loghousenut
08-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Sounds like sunny southern Oregon to me. I suppose some folks have an affinity for their attachment to Sacramento. We'll put up with you anyway. Can't wait to meet you on the member's side.

Chris CA
08-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Sunny Oregon, isn't that the stop just before heaven? Sacramento is too hot and flat for my liking. Seeking a little altitude for more moderate temps & more nature's ambiance. I want to thank you for your open minded hospitality aka tolerance, LOL. If I feel welcomed now what happens on the 'other side?' Life will never be the same......

Chaplain45
08-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Life really will never be the same! It is wonderful :)

Lightfoot
08-20-2017, 10:50 AM
I suppose I'm out of sequence here but oh well. Born and raised near Sacramento, Ca. Moved to Arcata, Ca to attend school for 3 years, got married and went to work for the USFS in Portland, Or as a wildlife biologist. Moved to Michigan for a year then back to California for work. Biologist, teacher, electrician, retiring next year and moving back to Michigan.

The wife and I have spent a ton of time on Zillow deciding what we like and can afford. Everything gravitated back to open floorplans with covered porches, log cabin kits and here. We learned a lot just browsing the site, which I still do daily (lots of threads and ideas). Buying a smaller home with more property is the current idea, giving us elbow room to build after.

panderson03
08-29-2017, 08:56 AM
welcome Mr Lightfoot. is your first name Gordon? :)
glad you're here

loghousenut
08-29-2017, 12:20 PM
We might somehow be related, Gordon. My Brother Bo and I have an Uncle Harvey who is rumored to be somewhat lightfingered. He is Cousin Tom Featherstone's stepfather but we like him anyway.

We'll talk more on the member's side and you can feel free to stop in anytime you are up this way and we can do a DNA test or somethig to try and get you officially into the Nut family tree.

PS... Welcome aboard. You'll most likely enjoy class and like moving on with that log home thing that you've been thinking about.

allen84
08-29-2017, 06:54 PM
I was almost named Harvey Herod... Too bad, I might have gotten a job as a news anchor or something.
I would have made a great weatherman.

ronlewks
09-07-2017, 04:04 AM
Howdy my name is Ron, have not attended the class yet. Plan on taking it next year. Me and my wife just closed on our property in southern Colorado last month. I'm excited to start the process of building our cabin in the mountains. I have been reading a lot but have just now started to post. Would love to see some pictures of your cabins and the ones in process. Looking forward to using the forum more.

mudflap
09-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the family, Ron! We're in north Alabama, building a 40x40. About to start our 7th course- which is our second floor. We're building it with block and tackle, hoping to get the roof on this year, but that date will probably slide by a month or two.

blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/

Deeble2
10-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Hello all,
I'm Guy...living in Florida for 16 years and longing to get back to mountain living. I am looking in NC to build there.

larkspur
10-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Hello everyone,
After ten years living in Alaska, and dreaming of building a log cabin, hope to start to making it happen in the next year or two, but instead on a special plot of land down in the Pacific Northwest.

loghousenut
10-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Hello everyone,
After ten years living in Alaska, and dreaming of building a log cabin, hope to start to making it happen in the next year or two, but instead on a special plot of land down in the Pacific Northwest.

Welcome Home, larkspur. Where is this NW land you've found?

Chaplain45
10-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Welcome Ron, Guy and larkspur. You are in a good place with some new friends. Great to hear your dreams...and looking forward to seeing them come together.

ronlewks
10-13-2017, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the pictures Mudflap. It is great to see the work and see it coming together.

saintsooner82
12-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Hi all! My name is Aaron and I'm looking to attend the February classes. I'm awaiting word from two friends (hopefully there are enough spots if we all confirm!) but I'm def in.

loghousenut
12-11-2017, 05:17 PM
They will usually work in an extra person or two if you pay full price and sit two to a chair... Welcome home Aaron.

Chaplain45
12-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Welcome Aaron! You will appreciate the class. I hope at least one of your friends can join you, even better with two. Enjoy!

saintsooner82
12-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Welcome Aaron! You will appreciate the class. I hope at least one of your friends can join you, even better with two. Enjoy!

Thank you both! May just be me, but oh well.

Arrowman
12-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Don’t wait on someone else to fulfill your dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveW
12-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Hello all.

After wanting to attend the class for years, I finally signed up!
I live in Western North Carolina and intend to build within the next few years.
I look forward to learning from you all.

-Steve

rreidnauer
12-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Another Steve W . . . . I'm going to need to be specific from here on out

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk

donjuedo
12-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Another Steve W . . . . I'm going to need to be specific from here on out

What's the latest from the "old" (no offense) Steve?

Steve
12-14-2017, 07:48 PM
What's the latest from the "old" (no offense) Steve?

Living in the Philippines, busy raising my 6 year old. :)

rreidnauer
12-15-2017, 06:13 AM
I think Peter (donjuedo) means the other, other Steve.

He's closed in and got his Blaze King stove installed and running. Septic is in and connected. He's currently working on making a temporary living space inside. (he desperately wants out of living in the motor home any longer) Outside scaffolding is all taken down, and the crane truck has been cut up and hauled away for scrap. All joists are in, and first and second floors decked (third still needs to be decked) The DWV plumbing portion is done. All that is left is interior chinking, frame up interior walls, supply plumbing, and electrial. He'll probably get his CO in 2018.

loghousenut
12-15-2017, 06:28 AM

Yeah, you're not old enough to be the old Steve, Steve. The genuine old Steve is more like Rod's age.

I'm wondering why there are so many Steves on a log home builder's web site. You'd thing there would be a bunch of loghousenuts and fewer Steves.

Yeah, I know.... don't say it out loud... there are already too many loghousenuts.

rreidnauer
12-15-2017, 07:52 AM
I only feel as old as the old Steve is old.

And I agree, there are enough LHN's on this forum for four forums.

SteveW
12-15-2017, 08:44 AM
We're everywhere.
And it sounds like "Old" definitely won't distinguish one from the other. ;)

-Steve

donjuedo
12-15-2017, 01:45 PM

:-D

He sure looks young in your avatar.

Snowman269
12-17-2017, 04:15 PM
Currently have a family Log Cabin, it was a kit where the logs are tongue and groove interlocking. I'm interested in building a retirement Cabin that's better built.

allen84
12-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Currently have a family Log Cabin, it was a kit where the logs are tongue and groove interlocking. I'm interested in building a retirement Cabin that's better built.

You've found the right place to learn the difference between great and subpar building design. Become a member by taking the class, you won't regret it... will be echoed.

mudflap
12-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Echo. But I'm curious snowman- how did you know that a cabin could be better built- is the kit starting to show some decay?

blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/

Arrowman
12-18-2017, 05:17 AM
Welcome Steve. We just finished up our build near Hickory last month.

SteveW
12-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Thanks Arrowman. I'm a few hours west of you near Cullowhee.

Do you have photos of your build?

-Steve

Arrowman
12-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Here are a couple, these were taken before we moved in, some work still being done.

https://imgur.com/LOwBO62

https://imgur.com/FbOGq4h

https://imgur.com/EqacVUK

https://imgur.com/lFI0ZQa

https://imgur.com/WC0ZXWn

https://imgur.com/D0m17UB

SteveW
12-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Beautiful Arrowman!

loghousenut
12-20-2017, 06:02 AM
Here are a couple, these were taken before we moved in, some work still being done.

https://imgur.com/LOwBO62

https://imgur.com/FbOGq4h

https://imgur.com/EqacVUK

https://imgur.com/lFI0ZQa

https://imgur.com/WC0ZXWn

https://imgur.com/D0m17UB

Reminds me of my place... except for the moved in part. Congrats.

panderson03
12-27-2017, 02:52 PM
wow Arrowman. looks great!!!! nice job

amacneil
01-21-2018, 03:01 PM
HI my name is Adam
I attended in 2016, planning on starting this spring. I have logs on my property and am going through the process of plans and permits. We live in southern B.C Canada

loghousenut
01-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Where in BC?

shawna.hansen4
01-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Hi Shawna and welcome,
Come on over to the Members side of the forum and start your build thread!
SarahHi Sarah,
How do I get to the member's side? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180124/ad11eb5d8c15c262750f9b77541b1be5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

sdart
01-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Nice house! You're really making progress! There is a thread in this forum called "How to get into the member's section" http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?8564-How-to-get-into-the-member-s-section

I assume the info there is up to date, although the first post is a number of years ago. If it doesn't work, then email Steve or Ellsworth: info@buildloghomes.org

It's amazing that you have done so much without the support of the member's forum -- Congratulations! You must have listened real well at the class :)

TAB
01-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Ditto! It's looking really good Shawna, but we're going to need more details than that one pic provides. Nice work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alby1982
01-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Good Evening Everyone,

My name is Angelo and I will be attending the class in Vegas on the 17th - 18th of February. I have been lurking for several years now and finally decided to pull the trigger. I'm excited to say the least! I live in SW PA and am a Marine Veteran (0261). If you wanna know more, just ask :-) I look forward to making new friends and learning along the way!

loghousenut
01-28-2018, 08:47 PM
Good Evening Everyone,

My name is Angelo and I will be attending the class in Vegas on the 17th - 18th of February. I have been lurking for several years now and finally decided to pull the trigger. I'm excited to say the least! I live in SW PA and am a Marine Veteran (0261). If you wanna know more, just ask :-) I look forward to making new friends and learning along the way!Glad to have you on board, Angelo. We have a town, here on the left coast, that was named after you! LOS ANGELES.

I look forward to seeing you on the member's side.

Tracy50
01-31-2018, 01:16 AM
Hi all,
Tracy from Indiana. I will be attending the class on Feb 17 & 18. Looking forward to seeing ya'll there!

rreidnauer
01-31-2018, 03:12 AM
Glad to have you on board, Angelo. We have a town, here on the left coast, that was named after you! LOS ANGELES.

I look forward to seeing you on the member's side.

Sent from my LG-H631 using TapatalkI just wish to extend an apology for that town not holding up to a standard worthy of your representation.

Maybe some day . . . . .
Thank you for your service, nonetheless.
Rod
South-west'ish Pennsylvania

alby1982
01-31-2018, 04:25 PM
I appreciate the kind words LHN and Rod...it's nice to meet you both! From one newbie to the next, welcome Tracy. I guess we'll be seeing each other in a few weeks!

Chaplain45
01-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Welcome Angelo and Tracy. The class will be a great experience and the member side of the forum is also amazing.

Chaplain45
01-31-2018, 07:53 PM
Hi all,
Tracy from Indiana. I will be attending the class on Feb 17 & 18. Looking forward to seeing ya'll there!

Tracy, what part of IN? We will be building in Brown County.

shawna.hansen4
02-02-2018, 09:18 AM
We really took a lot of notes and and really listened - you're right. Also, I have to say my husband is an amazing man. He just has the ability to look at how it should be or could be done and he can do it! It might not be the way someone else got it done - but it is still great! He really wanted to everything from scratch. So much so that right now we are in the process of sawing our own tongue and groove for the ceiling. 488 14' boards are done on the tongue side - now for the grooves!

hewman
02-02-2018, 09:34 AM
He really wanted to everything from scratch. So much so that right now we are in the process of sawing our own tongue and groove for the ceiling. 488 14' boards are done on the tongue side - now for the grooves![/QUOTE]

Very impressive! Wished I would have gone that route. When can we expect some pictures?
Look forward to watching your progress!

Kirby
02-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Has anyone gotten their trees from Oregon? Is there anything that I should say when talking to the forestry people when trying to get some trees from them? I wish to start building the summer of 2019. However I need to get the trees first and allow them to dry. My son and I will be working together. :confused:
Thank you in advance.

StressMan79
02-14-2018, 05:57 AM
need to get the trees first and allow them to dry. :confused:
Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to dry them

loghousenut
02-14-2018, 06:53 AM
I'd get my foundation first. Too darned easy to get sidetracked and let those drying logs turn into rotted firewood. I sent you a PM, Kirby.

mudflap
02-15-2018, 06:57 AM
I'd get my foundation first. Too darned easy to get sidetracked and let those drying logs turn into rotted firewood. I sent you a PM, Kirby.

I'd second this. I waited until I had logs to get the foundation because I was harvesting the logs myself. I didn't know what size home I could build until I had my logs. I guess if you order your logs, you can specify the size, so in that case, you would build your foundation first. Still, looking back, I knew no matter what, I was going to build a 40x40, so I should have gotten the concrete out of the way and then started cutting trees. I have 20/20 vision- just doesn't always work in both directions....

jlrr
02-19-2018, 03:52 PM
hello to all

My name is John with my Wife Natalie, and we are going to be building in northern Arizona, Pinedale just outside of Show Low. Just took Steve's class in Las Vegas. Found out alot of great information.....Looking forward to alot of flea markets to start getting free STUFF......Good luck to all.

mudflap
02-20-2018, 07:53 AM
hello to all

My name is John with my Wife Natalie, and we are going to be building in northern Arizona, Pinedale just outside of Show Low. Just took Steve's class in Las Vegas. Found out alot of great information.....Looking forward to alot of flea markets to start getting free STUFF......Good luck to all.

Welcome to the family!

BoFuller
02-20-2018, 07:02 PM
hello to all

Welcome. I built just outside of Seligman, not too far from you. I got my certificate of occupancy in June of 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

loghousenut
02-21-2018, 08:08 AM
Welcome John and Natalie. I am Bo's brother and I started building years before he did and we plan to get our certifate of occupancy sometime before we die... most likely this year.

tumble511
02-22-2018, 07:41 AM
Hello all, went to class this past weekend. now trying to get all my ducks in a row to start my build in Missouri. If someone is building or has built in Colorado or Missouri and wouldn't mind me taking a look, I would appreciate it ! Looking forward to be a part of this group.
Dennis Shell

mudflap
02-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Welcome, Dennis. There's folks building in both MO and CO- look for "colorado two-fer" and I think John17three is in MO. I'm building further away in AL, and took the class in Feb 2016. Seems like forever ago now.

Tracy50
02-22-2018, 04:23 PM
We will be building in Parke county. Looks like we will have to wait until winter to get logs.

panderson03
02-26-2018, 08:44 AM
welcome home, Tracy50. can't wait to follow your journey!

Tracy50
02-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Thanks. I really enjoy seeing all the pics of member builds. I just started on the model with dowel rods and hope when we build the real one the hot glue doesn't show as much.

geojohn
03-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Howdy!

My wife and I took Skip's class in the early 90's at his amazing home in Duvall WA. We never managed to build our log home, but I still have trouble getting rid of the triple-blocks, draw knives, and Hole Hawg that I scrounged so many years ago. I live in Western Washington (State) and still dream about building a log home and would be interested in helping anyone close by who is or will be.

Cheers!

George

StressMan79
03-12-2018, 12:00 PM
John you (and aby other members) can meet me @ cabin in curlew, 99118. Pm me, and we'll discuss.

mudflap
03-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Don't get mad, but I can't find another place to post this that makes sense. Before I took the class, I had already researched all the methods they teach- the internet is a wonderful place. However, I still wondered if I could actually build a log home. In other words, I had knowledge, but no confidence. After the two day class, I KNEW I could do it- mostly because I knew others had done it, and that I would have a support system to help me as I moved forward. I just read this article the other day which summarizes why people think they can or can't accomplish something- it's because of belief. Anyway, here's the article (try to ignore the sales pitch- I'm only interested in the content of the article):

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/113823/most-limits-exist-only-our-minds

"Just a month after Bannister first broke the 4-minute barrier, both he and another runner (John Landy) broke it again. The next year, 3 more runners (all in the same race) followed suit.

By the end of 1957, a total of 16 runners had achieved sub-4-minute mile times.

How could so many people suddenly overcome a challenge that had thwarted the best runners in the world for three millennia? The transition was so immediate and abrupt that it can't be attributed to advancements in technology, training or diet. Yet something changed that enabled this new era for speed.

What changed was Belief.

Prior to Bannister's shocking feat, elite runners just didn't believe it was possible to run that fast.

But once freed from that limiting mindset, those very same athletes found that not only could they match Bannister's record, they could beat it."

And that, folks, is what separates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak: belief.

loghousenut
03-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Don't get mad, but I can't find another place to post this that makes sense. Before I took the class, I had already researched all the methods they teach- the internet is a wonderful place. However, I still wondered if I could actually build a log home. In other words, I had knowledge, but no confidence. After the two day class, I KNEW I could do it- mostly because I knew others had done it, and that I would have a support system to help me as I moved forward. I just read this article the other day which summarizes why people think they can or can't accomplish something- it's because of belief. Anyway, here's the article (try to ignore the sales pitch- I'm only interested in the content of the article):

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/113823/most-limits-exist-only-our-minds

"Just a month after Bannister first broke the 4-minute barrier, both he and another runner (John Landy) broke it again. The next year, 3 more runners (all in the same race) followed suit.

By the end of 1957, a total of 16 runners had achieved sub-4-minute mile times.

How could so many people suddenly overcome a challenge that had thwarted the best runners in the world for three millennia? The transition was so immediate and abrupt that it can't be attributed to advancements in technology, training or diet. Yet something changed that enabled this new era for speed.

What changed was Belief.

Prior to Bannister's shocking feat, elite runners just didn't believe it was possible to run that fast.

But once freed from that limiting mindset, those very same athletes found that not only could they match Bannister's record, they could beat it."

And that, folks, is what separates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak: belief.

Well I am chaff, but somewhere in the middle of the second day of Skip's class I had already figured out I could do it. Those of you who are wheat have a real head start over me.

Thanks for reminding us about that Roger Banister thing, mudflap.

Chris Gammon
03-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Hi, I'm new here too. I took Skip's class at his log home in Monroe in the early nineties, hard to believe its been twenty five plus years. I haven't built a log home, yet. Skip and I continued to correspond via email for a few years after the class as well.

I have become re-interested in log home building but need to refresh my memory, don't think I have my handwritten notes anymore. I'd like to get access to the members forum and can provide my membership card to whomever would like to see it and verify. I have posted on that thread, must be two weeks ago now and my posting hasn't shown up yet mysteriously. An email to the admin bounced.

I would also like to purchase the workbook now available, although it looks like it is out of stock at the moment.

Currently I reside in the Seattle area. Are there still some of Skip's students around?

Admin
03-29-2018, 05:01 AM
I'd like to get access to the members forum...An email to the admin bounced.

Welcome back Chris. Please email a picture of your membership card to info@buildloghomes.org.

loghousenut
03-29-2018, 06:02 AM
Chris, I'm wondering how you ever got Skip to return your emails. I first took the class in 1981 and he would never give me the time of day and then after he died he remained consistent. I even retook the class twice just to be near him in case he ever needed a friend.

My daughter-in-law, Rebecca, thinks he musta been a good judge of character.

Welcome back. See you on the member's side... You'll love it.

Chris Gammon
03-29-2018, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome back, can't wait to rejoin the community! I've sent the image as requested.

Wow, smart to take the class three times with Skip. In hindsight, I should have done the same. Not sure why Skip replied to my emails, he probably just took pity on a twenty something know nothing.

jaxsnyder
04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Hi my name is Jaclyn Snyder, I’m not exactly new here but I haven’t participated in the forum for a few years. I found LHBA about 10 years ago and have been dreaming about taking the class ever since and my husband and I are finally planning to take the class this May!! To say I’m excited is an understatement! Can’t wait to move forward with our dream. We live in TN and plan to build in Northern Middle TN once we find land. I’m looking forward to being active on here again and hopefully once we take the class be able to help someone on there build to get a little hands on experience!

loghousenut
04-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Welcome back home, Jax. We have been patiently awaiting your return. Glad to hear you are taking the plunge. You'll love the real side of the forum!

allen84
04-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Welcome to another Tennessean.

mudflap
04-12-2018, 06:56 AM
Welcome! Not too far from you- building near Huntsville, AL. Come see us- we'll scare you into using a telehandler. :)

I was similar- took me 10 years to finally take the plunge. Wished I would have started 10 years ago, but the stars hadn't aligned back then (and the trees we are using now weren't ready). Anyway, safe travels to the class, and good luck with your build!

jaxsnyder
04-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Thanks loghousenut! Can’t wait to get to that members side!!

jaxsnyder
04-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Thanks Mudflap, we would love to come see your build and maybe give you a hand if you need one once we take the class! Huntsville’s not far at all! And I would certainly love to get behind the wheel of a telehandler! A friend of mine took the class years ago and bought one but never followed through on the build so I never got to see it in action.

mudflap
04-13-2018, 05:49 AM
Thanks Mudflap, we would love to come see your build and maybe give you a hand if you need one once we take the class! Huntsville’s not far at all! And I would certainly love to get behind the wheel of a telehandler! A friend of mine took the class years ago and bought one but never followed through on the build so I never got to see it in action.

oh...I meant we don't have a telehandler, so using ropes and such will scare you into getting a tele. Either way, come take a gander. :)

Last night, we started the 1st log of the last course- log #53.

jaxsnyder
04-13-2018, 06:10 AM
oh...I meant we don't have a telehandler, so using ropes and such will scare you into getting a tele. Either way, come take a gander. :)

Last night, we started the 1st log of the last course- log #53.

Wow!! How long has it taken to stack you logs that way? And your right that may scare me into getting a telehandler :)

allen84
04-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Wow!! How long has it taken to stack you logs that way? And your right that may scare me into getting a telehandler :)

One gear below break neck speed... pin boot to building speed. I don't know how mudflap feels about the speed it's going up but looks to me like he's flying along.

jaxsnyder
04-13-2018, 10:03 AM
One gear below break neck speed... pin boot to building speed. I don't know how mudflap feels about the speed it's going up but looks to me like he's flying along.

Wow your right I just checked out his blog and your right he’s moving pretty good for not using machinery!

mudflap
04-14-2018, 06:49 AM
Wow your right I just checked out his blog and your right he’s moving pretty good for not using machinery!

Well, I started stacking June 15 2017. I have to slow down for the curves and knots. Like really slow. At least it feels that way. From looking at other's posts, I think it's safe to say we are using the crookedst and most tapered logs on the forum, which really says a lot about the method more than anything. It takes a lot of work to get them straight, minimize the gaps, guess which one to put up next, etc, etc.

If I had straight logs, I imagine I'd have the roof on by now. But as they say, use what you got.

mudflap
04-14-2018, 06:52 AM

Ha ha, very funny Allen! :)

It's raining today, and I'm pacing like a caged tiger. Already repaired my jackhammer, bought a new drill (the old one is 18' in the air, still attached to the drill bit, and probably still smoking), sharpened my chainsaw, bought some new gloves. Now I have to wait for the rain and tornadoes to quit. grrr. I guess I'll work on updating my floor plans....

loghousenut
04-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Blue sky and lovely today in sunny southern Oregon. I wanted to take the Miata to the coast but must instead go to an equipment auction. I have a pocketfull of cash ans am hankering for another backhoe or two. Wish me luck.

Sorry about the fowl weather where all the rest of you reside.

jaxsnyder
04-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Ha ha, very funny Allen! :)

It's raining today, and I'm pacing like a caged tiger. Already repaired my jackhammer, bought a new drill (the old one is 18' in the air, still attached to the drill bit, and probably still smoking), sharpened my chainsaw, bought some new gloves. Now I have to wait for the rain and tornadoes to quit. grrr. I guess I'll work on updating my floor plans....

So did you get your last log stacked before the rain came?

mudflap
04-14-2018, 05:57 PM
No. They were saying tornadoes this afternoon, and it started raining just as I came home with the new drill. My theory is the louder they freak out about the weather, the milder it becomes. So, we ended up with a bunch of rain, little bit of wind, and some thunder.

LHN- what'd you get? anything?

allen84
04-14-2018, 07:10 PM
I try not to keep after the weather too much. It's a news story that changes everyday around here and I have no control over it.

loghousenut
04-14-2018, 09:41 PM
LHN- what'd you get? anything?

Case 580C and three equipment trailers. Came within inches of buying two more backhoes and two bobcats for resale. They was trying to give that stuff away but I have a lot of resistance.

Two truck mounted cranes went so cheap that I am ashamed to have let them slide. Best auction I've been to in 15 years.

PS... The weather was beaut!

rreidnauer
04-15-2018, 07:01 AM
:-/

Seems every auction I go to, people lose their minds bidding. Heck, I've even seen things sell for ABOVE retail! Maybe people are just insane on the East coast.

I did FINALLY win a Subaru at a Copart auction for a reasonable price. Not sure if it was a tactic change I made, or the fact that it was listed without keys, as the security system is a major pain to deal with, without having the original keys. (turned out it has a key :-D )

allen84
04-15-2018, 07:26 AM
:-/ Seems every auction I go to, people lose their minds bidding. Heck, I've even seen things sell for ABOVE retail! Maybe people are just insane on the East coast.

Same here... At least on the things that I'm after anyways. I've bought a few things at auction and come out good, usually I leave empty handed. I bought 5 acres at a bankruptcy auction once, one or two other people bidding against me, everyone else was neighbors and there to spectate. I went to an auction a while back with the intention of buying an old stick welder and a drill press. They went crazy high, close to retail and this stuff was OLD. Instead, I came home with a deacon's bench, a wood cart, antique crosscut saw, stack of comic books and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting because I had a hard time getting everything to fit in the SUV. I love a good auction.

I think usually when prices go sky high it's because someone is overly determined to win at any cost. A year or so ago a farm nearby was subdivided and auctioned. There was a young man that had his heart set on a 20 acre tract (his dad revealed that to me before it started). Bidding was per acre and the winner could pick which tract or tracts they wanted or all of them. Well he bid so high, when the hammer dropped and he did the math, he could only afford 10 acres (nearly $75,000 total)... The 20 acre tract he wanted went for $40,000. Lay of the land and clearings/wooded areas were the same on both but one was twice as big and half the cost. I kinda felt bad for the guy. You have to leave emotion behind when you go to an auction or you'll rip yourself off.

The tax man must have liked it tho because they made our little road a two lane, with yellow stripes and all, very shortly after that auction.

homesteadcabin
05-29-2018, 10:50 AM
My name is Gabe and I have not attended the class yet. Considering moving to Vermont and building there. Looking forward to using the forum and possibly meeting some of you guys in the future.

loghousenut
05-29-2018, 08:53 PM
LHBA.... Changing the world, one log home at a time.

You'd probably fit right in here, Gabe.

GinaC
05-30-2018, 06:00 AM
Hello, Gabe!

I'm also trying to build in Vermont, but first I have to move to the area so I can better check out land. It is proving very difficult to find a suitable rental home -- I am looking in Orleans County, in the Newport area.

Anna
11-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Hello............ this is Anna and it is Nov of 2018. I could not attend the latest class in Vegas Nov of 2018 but will as soon as the next one has set its dates. Actually, there will be two of us. Anyway, I could not post in a different section since I am not a member (hence, we have not attended the class). Anyway, I wanted to put a shout out there on this forum and see if anyone will hear me. We will be building in the Idaho panhandle. Thinking about a 40x40. Maybe bigger since the trees we have are ginormous. We are interested in bartering, borrowing, sharing, laboring, exchanging, etc. with other LHBA folks that may be close enough to do so if possible or if someone else is in the area share or work out some options. Until we take the class, we are only in the beginning stage. We are at least done the preliminary work: have deed to the land, have trees, counted the trees, id tree species, size, height, building site, water rights, etc. However, the rest of the building phase is in the details once we take the class. So, if anyone is reading this, it would be great to hear from you. I see so many threads that are years old and maybe only 1 liners. in 3-5years after the project is completed, looking at possible host for avid sportsmen/women in the future when this build is completed. In the meantime, we are burning, thinning, cleaning, bark beetle killing, digging, tree, bush, flower, and weed identifying. My only question that I have is, if we fell in the the winter and debark according to the LHBA standards, how long can they sit after they are treated? Ok........DSCN8632.JPG

panderson03
11-14-2018, 01:31 PM
welcome Anna. properly stored and treated, logs can last a year or 2 with minimal issues. ours did, at least :)
glad you're here. take the class :)

mudflap
11-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Welcome! Currently living in alabama, building a 40x40 with ropes and pulleys. Roof decking was delivered yesterday. Used to have a place in Paris, id, beautiful there.

Keep us informed on your progress. My only suggestion would be get your foundation in before you start harvesting trees. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181114/fa8ed4d6b0f1cfe535013f3d9c80559f.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Anna
11-14-2018, 02:50 PM
welcome Anna. properly stored and treated, logs can last a year or 2 with minimal issues. ours did, at least :)
glad you're here. take the class :)

Thanks for the tip.:)

Anna
11-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Thank you for the info. We are in Moyie Springs. Good help. As soon as the class sign ups are in for 2019 which I see are near Memorial Day, we are there. We wanted to gather as much info first before the class so we would have been better prepared to ask or fill in our brains with the right info from our facts. We never thought of counting our trees let alone how many were needed for a cabin. Glad we did. Was it hard work. Counted the trees over 8" in diameter. As the footing/foundation, you are right. We have the sight/frost line data etc noted. Just wanted to have all my ducks in a row to go over with LHBA folks with fotos which speak 1000 words and then proceed.
Just to inform yall,...........we are currently 1500 miles away from it. HAHAHA. So, there lies the challenge. No one said it was going to be ez. Ya right. If we were there sure, no worries. As about log theft or anything like that, highly unlikely, since we are on a private dead end road with 2 neighbors that watch. Anyway, its the process, best to fell in winter, debark soon after, dry logs, rotate, etc, then build. We would have to be there. So, do it in a step by step manner till we are ready to move. Thank you all out there so far. J:\IDAHO\IdahoNov2018\DSCN8860.JPG

donjuedo
11-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Welcome, Anna. You already have the right mindset (bartering, borrowing, sharing, exchanging labor...).

The site is much more active than what you've seen. I try to read everything, but sometimes have trouble keeping up.

Keep reading, especially the student homes in the Gallery, and lock in that class reservation. Time will fly.

Peter

Shark
11-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Welcome, nice area up there. I pass through Bonner's ferry once in a while for work.
Wait to cut trees, until you take the class. No sense having them lay down and trying to protect them, let nature do that for you until you are ready to stack.
We are getting ready to build near Hauser lake next year. Just getting all the permit stuff figured out.

Anna
11-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the note. I'm getting that about the trees/not felling. Hear allot about permit stuff. Had a friend buy in Shasta Co. Calif. Most regulated county in Calif. So, looked to Idaho. No regulations or permits required. Specifically Boundary Co. Love it. Sorry. I didn't mean to rub it in. I just like to let others know. Controlled freedom i know, but atleast very little here.

Anna
11-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Very nice picture. Could not post one yet. Anyway, have been perusing these pages. Lots of learning and absorbing. Thank you all.

loghousenut
11-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Anna, I don't have much to add but I need to keep my post counts up. I have a reputation to defend.

PS... You shoulda made it to class this past weekend. I hear it was a good one.

Anna
11-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Hello loghousenut. Yes we both debated about the class. Take it or not take it. We had already planned in being in Idaho that time period. We wanted to have all the info ready in hand to show, explain, talk about, etc. to the main folks. I didnt catch their names. Sorry. But to the Skip Ellsworth legacy ontakers, I'm in on this. My husband was convinced too. Anyway, knew a man up there where you are, Elton Frank. Probably with the Lord now. Love your quote. Learning from that. I love to share info. Sharing is caring. So, will help defend your reputation. Love to post some pics but cant yet. TTYS

Shark
11-14-2018, 08:26 PM
Yes, the areas that you can still do as you please without permits, awesome!

My wife works downtown, and we like to be closer to an airport to travel to visit family, so we are in a county with lots of rules. Give and take. Still cheaper than California or Colorado.
Many plates from those states moving in this year.

loghousenut
11-15-2018, 08:21 AM
Anna, definitely take the class. If you took the class and slept through the boring first two days of it and then went home and got your hands on the "member's only" side of this forum, you'd be money ahead.

DearMyrah
01-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Hey All --

After taking the class in June 2016, we finally have land and are prepping to start our build this year. (Insert fanfare here.)

I've been lurking here on the forums for a while, but I thought it might be time to introduce myself. I'm SW of Denver in the foothills above Sedalia, CO. We're on 40 acres of pine forest adjacent to Pike Nat'l Forest. I'm hopeful that we can get most of our logs off our property and from neighbors. We're looking at mostly Lodgepole and Ponderosa. The area was logged about a hundred years ago, so the trees that were too young for harvesting then should be about right now. They won't be huge, but 18" at the butt end should be do-able, right?

Our property has a small house already so we're able to live here while we build. It's tough, really. Oh, and my dh and I both work from home. So tough. So, we're finalizing plans, combing thru county regs, and counting our pennies as we move forward.

We went up to meet Jarrington over the weekend and to see his build! I've always heard that size doesn't matter, but after seeing his Englemanns, I'm not sure... :rolleyes: Looking forward to connecting with other CO folks, too.

Here's a pic of the view from the current house just for attention. Stop on by if you're in the area!

http://alittlefarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/IMG_20181223_073047167.jpg

--DearMyrah
alittlefarm.com (http://alittlefarm.com)

loghousenut
01-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Welcome aboard, Dear! Goodlooking view you have there. We live up a north facing canyon so the only far off view we have is the weather directly overhead and a few stars at night. Yes, 18" logs will do nicely but if you come across a pile of 24"ers, don't pass them up.

Kevo1288
01-08-2019, 05:01 AM
My names Kevin I am 30 years old from MA/CT border. I have been pointed towards building my own log home. My boss whos 67 said he stumbled across it years ago and that if he was 20 years younger he would be doing this. So anyway, my drive is that I want another pup. I recently (2 months ago) had to surrender my 20 week old Belgian Malinois who I spent every waking hour with to the Quincy MA police department because he wasn't working with my ex (she wasn't working with him either, wasn't the pups fault)...id never give up a dog but due to my connections with law enforcement it made it easy as that dog was meant to have a calling in law enforcement. Anyways, after splitting up with the ex gf which was smooth and mutual I moved back home with parents. I just picked up a second job to put money away to fund this project. I plan on buying in the area I am from and building a 30x30 log home with a half second floor (loft) and a basement. I want nothing more than to own my own place and another dog (the dog was my calling and everyone could see it) I always wanted a Belgian malinois or dutch shepherd after seeing a dutch in the old neighborhood I lived in and seeing how intelligent she was. I also plan on attending the seminar but probably not till next year so until then, ill read and read. I have looked a few lots with a great selection and abundance of useable lumber.

mudflap
01-08-2019, 06:32 AM
if he was 20 years younger he would be doing this.

Everyone who sees my home says this. We cut about 75% of our trees from within 600' of our build site. The rest were from less than a block away.

I have all the boards for my decking up on the roof now- I needed 24 more to close up the gap over the ridge pole. It looks like I might be completely closed in either tonight or tomorrow. It's been a wonderful and extremely challenging yet extremely rewarding experience. I imagine not many things you do in life will be worthy of remembrance by your grandchildren, but building your own home with trees you cut and peeled yourself is definitely one of those things.

You'll have more than enough reading to do until the class. I suggest signing up ASAP- they usually announce class dates 6 months in advance.

I'm also a fellow dog lover. Welcome!

sdart
01-08-2019, 07:47 AM
Tell your boss that there are a number of us who are not 20 years younger and are still doing it :)

Kevo1288
01-08-2019, 07:53 AM
Tell your boss that there are a number of us who are not 20 years younger and are still doing it :)

Hes also battling cancer... I think that's where his 20 years younger comment comes from. A time when he wasn't battling it.

sdart
01-08-2019, 08:01 AM
That's too bad, so sorry for him. We are just hoping to keep our health until the house is done and have a few years to enjoy it.

donjuedo
01-09-2019, 02:00 AM
That's a beautiful view you have.

Peter

buddyrough
01-12-2019, 05:53 AM
This is Randy from Texas

r5t0ut21
01-12-2019, 07:34 AM
This is Randy from Texas

Hey, ditto. This is a big state, so it's ok to have 2 of us. I'm near San Antonio.

Camhart73
01-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Hey Everyone!

Found out about LHBA just a week or two ago. Stayed up all weekend reading through mudflap's blog, as well as many of the others ones I found. Just signed up for the Feb 16th/17th course--really excited.

I live in Western Washington--If any of you have built your own log home near Western Washington (especially if you're not an experienced builder) I'd love to come see it if you'd be willing to let me swing by. I'll likely bring the whole family (wife, 2 year old son, 5 month old daughter).

Also if anyone is currently building, I'd love to get some hands on experience before I start my own, plus hopefully be helpful to you! It's too bad that part of the forum is private even for those have already signed up :(

Sounds like these forums are a pretty neat place to be. Looking forward to the class, being able learn/grow from each of you, and bypassing the big mortgage.

mudflap
01-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Welcome. of course. :)

Shark
01-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Hey Everyone!

Found out about LHBA just a week or two ago. Stayed up all weekend reading through mudflap's blog, as well as many of the others ones I found. Just signed up for the Feb 16th/17th course--really excited.

I live in Western Washington--If any of you have built your own log home near Western Washington (especially if you're not an experienced builder) I'd love to come see it if you'd be willing to let me swing by. I'll likely bring the whole family (wife, 2 year old son, 5 month old daughter).

Also if anyone is currently building, I'd love to get some hands on experience before I start my own, plus hopefully be helpful to you! It's too bad that part of the forum is private even for those have already signed up :(

Sounds like these forums are a pretty neat place to be. Looking forward to the class, being able learn/grow from each of you, and bypassing the big mortgage.

Welcome, and don't worry, the members side is worth the wait!

rreidnauer
01-15-2019, 02:06 PM
You may as well look up Wallace Lodge and go take a gander.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

donjuedo
01-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Welcome, Camhart73!

It's the real deal. Seeing what others have done is definitely inspiring.

Peter

Camhart73
01-15-2019, 09:15 PM
You may as well look up Wallace Lodge and go take a gander.
http://www.wallacefallslodge.com/ that one?

Menze
01-16-2019, 12:48 AM
Hi, my name in Menze and i am from The Netherlands.
I will be attending a 3 weeks course logbuilding at the germany school of logbuilding in a few months.
I am a newbie and have a dream of building my own loghome.
Good possibility i will post some quenstions here.
Are there more forums that deal explicitely with Loghome building.

sdart
01-16-2019, 12:49 AM
There are many, many member's houses in Western Washington, as you'll find out when you get to the other side of the forum. I doubt if most will want to post their location here on the public side, so you'll just have to wait!

rreidnauer
01-16-2019, 02:54 AM
http://www.wallacefallslodge.com/ that one?That's it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

donjuedo
01-16-2019, 02:56 AM
Hi, Menze. Welcome. Have you signed up for the LHBA class (2 day class)?

mudflap
01-17-2019, 06:07 AM
Thought this was appropriate for everyone:

https://zenpencils.com/comic/92-chris-guillebeau-11-ways-to-be-average/

Camhart73
01-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Thought this was appropriate for everyone:

https://zenpencils.com/comic/92-chris-guillebeau-11-ways-to-be-average/
I love this. You know it's interesting--I have a side business that I work on on nights/weekends right now. But the feelings I had just as I was starting to prep for launching the business seem really similar to what I'm feeling now as I prep for building a log home. Lots of excitement, fair amount of fear, a bit of embarrassment when I tell people about it (maybe that's just me), a certain degree of uncertainty about what the future will hold. Launching and running my side business has been the most fulfilling work I've ever done in my whole life. I hope building a log home brings similar feelings of fulfillment.

Paul Graham wrote an essay on why humans aren't meant to have bosses, and what it's like to work for yourself vs a boss. I highly suggest it. See http://www.paulgraham.com/boss.html. First 3 paragraphs are below. For anyone who doesn't know who Paul Graham is, he's a highly successful tech entrepreneur, founder of YCombinator https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Graham_(programmer).

Technology tends to separate normal from natural. Our bodies weren't designed to eat the foods that people in rich countries eat, or to get so little exercise. There may be a similar problem with the way we work: a normal job may be as bad for us intellectually as white flour or sugar is for us physically.

I began to suspect this after spending several years working with startup founders. I've now worked with over 200 of them, and I've noticed a definite difference between programmers working on their own startups and those working for large organizations. I wouldn't say founders seem happier, necessarily; starting a startup can be very stressful. Maybe the best way to put it is to say that they're happier in the sense that your body is happier during a long run than sitting on a sofa eating doughnuts.

Though they're statistically abnormal, startup founders seem to be working in a way that's more natural for humans.

I was in Africa last year and saw a lot of animals in the wild that I'd only seen in zoos before. It was remarkable how different they seemed. Particularly lions. Lions in the wild seem about ten times more alive. They're like different animals. I suspect that working for oneself feels better to humans in much the same way that living in the wild must feel better to a wide-ranging predator like a lion. Life in a zoo is easier, but it isn't the life they were designed for.

rocklock
01-17-2019, 10:50 PM
A three week course for building with logs will include many things that we don't value. For example, how to sharpen and axe and how to cut a notch. My log home has no notches and my chains of my chain saws are very sharp, but I learned from a video. We do not spend a lot of time matching one side of a log to another. The average time to get a log in place is about 1/2 an hour because we drill our logs then pound rebar to hold them in place. Our two day class is about the basics (how to stack carrots) and where to get information.

There are many web sight that track how they built their log home... Stacking logs is no big deal. I stacked 63 logs in 12 days.

Putting in the plumbing and electrical will take time. But feel free to ask as many question as you have them.

Menze
01-30-2019, 03:01 AM
no, i will be attending the 3 weeks course in germany end of april/mai 2019

Menze
01-30-2019, 03:07 AM
A three week course for building with logs will include many things that we don't value. For example, how to sharpen and axe and how to cut a notch. My log home has no notches and my chains of my chain saws are very sharp, but I learned from a video. We do not spend a lot of time matching one side of a log to another. The average time to get a log in place is about 1/2 an hour because we drill our logs then pound rebar to hold them in place. Our two day class is about the basics (how to stack carrots) and where to get information.

There are many web sight that track how they built their log home... Stacking logs is no big deal. I stacked 63 logs in 12 days.

Putting in the plumbing and electrical will take time. But feel free to ask as many question as you have them.

Gladfully there will be no sharpening and maintenace of chainsaw, felling a tree and so on.
Thank you for the invitation if i have questions..

George2019
02-20-2019, 11:36 PM
Greetings from hell, friends! :o

I just took the Las Vegas February class, and am now back in Afghanistan. :( The class was wonderful, and I'm very glad to be on the forums. I look forward to touching base with the folks who took the same class with me a few days ago, as well as the opportunity to meet new friends.

I have no land yet, no idea where I'm going to build my cabin, or even if I'm going to build my cabin. I have to focus on Afghanistan now. Once my work here is done, we'll take it from there!

- George

mudflap
02-21-2019, 02:14 AM
Welcome! It'll take you a lifetime to go through the forums- tons of info on here. It is true freedom building your own home.

Stay safe out there!

George2019
02-21-2019, 02:52 AM
Welcome! It'll take you a lifetime to go through the forums- tons of info on here. It is true freedom building your own home.

Stay safe out there!

Thanks, mudflap! I've very much enjoyed following your blog!

rckclmbr428
02-21-2019, 02:57 AM
Welcome George! Is there any trees big enough in Afghanistan to build with? Maybe the countries first log home!

George2019
02-21-2019, 03:46 AM
Welcome George! Is there any trees big enough in Afghanistan to build with? Maybe the countries first log home!

There are Himalayan Cedars in Afghanistan nearly 200 feet tall and 10 feet in diameter. Himalayan Cedar is durable, rot-resistant, and has a fine, close grain. Sadly, I won't see an Afghanistan that is safe and secure enough for log home building.

BoFuller
02-21-2019, 05:47 AM
Welcome George. You’ll be back in no time. Thanks for all you do.

Mosseyme
02-21-2019, 06:21 AM
Welcome George, we will look forward to your input from afar. Stay safe.

Plumb Level
02-21-2019, 08:01 AM
Wow, stack 4 logs, chink the bottom and top and ur done with the walls!

Take care of business, be safe, then come on back and build your home.

loghousenut
02-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Welcome home, George. While you are over there, we'll be right here with you.

Shark
02-21-2019, 10:51 AM
There are Himalayan Cedars in Afghanistan nearly 200 feet tall and 10 feet in diameter. Himalayan Cedar is durable, rot-resistant, and has a fine, close grain. Sadly, I won't see an Afghanistan that is safe and secure enough for log home building.

Be safe over there!

mccann12
02-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Hey guys just finished the Feb class.. Planning on a 35x35 build with my son this fall. Itching to start the planning phase as soon as i get the LHBA plans in the mail...I am in upstate SC...

mudflap
02-23-2019, 05:31 PM
Welcome! Help is a good thing and it'll go faster.

LaurenW
02-24-2019, 05:38 PM
Hi everybody!

My fiancee and I also just completed the log home class last weekend. The plan for this year is to complete our current home reno (located about an hour outside of Philly), get this house on the market, get married and get as many supplies and resources as we can. [We're those weird people who will be registering for building materials and tools- who really needs fancy plates anyway??]

By next year, we plan to have our forever property in eastern WV, start dropping some trees and begin our build! We're looking forward to following along with all of you!

Best,
Lauren & Jeff

Shark
02-24-2019, 05:54 PM
We did the same, asked everyone to donate to our tool fund instead of plates and toasters etc.

rckclmbr428
02-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Hi everybody!

My fiancee and I also just completed the log home class last weekend. The plan for this year is to complete our current home reno (located about an hour outside of Philly), get this house on the market, get married and get as many supplies and resources as we can. [We're those weird people who will be registering for building materials and tools- who really needs fancy plates anyway??]

By next year, we plan to have our forever property in eastern WV, start dropping some trees and begin our build! We're looking forward to following along with all of you!

Best,
Lauren & Jeff

Whereabouts in WV? I'm from near Huntington but live in Roanoke VA now

Chaplain45
02-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Welcome LaurenW, we live in Indiana and have extended family in Hinton, WV. We are beginning the process as well...but with 40 years of marriage (in May) so no gift lists to be filled :) Look forward to watching your home come together.

davidwayne3
03-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Hi Steve,
My name is David and I have been interested in building my own log cabin. I want to cut my own logs. My question is how do you get past the building codes of graded or rated logs by engineering?

rckclmbr428
03-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Hi Steve,
My name is David and I have been interested in building my own log cabin. I want to cut my own logs. My question is how do you get past the building codes of graded or rated logs by engineering?

Tpi will grade your logs for a fee

mudflap
03-19-2019, 05:56 AM
I want to cut my own logs.

<mudflap shivers>. cutting your own logs is one of the most dangerous things you can do as a non-professional builder. That said, it's a great way to get logs for cheap, and that's how we did our build. You have to have just the right amount of crazy to do it. :) The next most scariest thing is riding your ridgepole while cutting notches in it with a chainsaw to level your rafters. Glad that stuff is behind me. Welcome aboard!

loghousenut
03-19-2019, 07:24 AM
Funny, Jake never complained about the ridgepole much. Once he even spent the night up there because he said the ride down on the telehandler forks made him queasy feeling in his guts.

https://i.imgur.com/2FR8EPk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yjfMGcr.jpg

Shark
03-19-2019, 09:37 AM
It helps to have a ginormous (that's metric for freaking huge) ridge pole! Not much worry about falling off that ;)

Shark
03-19-2019, 09:39 AM

Yep, the place we got our logs, were actually serviced by TPI so we got ours graded a bit cheaper since they did it before they shipped to us.

mudflap
03-19-2019, 10:22 AM
It helps to have a ginormous (that's metric for freaking huge) ridge pole! Not much worry about falling off that

yeah- what he said.

it's so flat.....call my flat-earther friends- they'll confirm it.

BoFuller
03-19-2019, 10:50 AM
You’ll either need them graded or find a place to build where the code doesn’t require it.

Hint; Not Yavapai County in Arizona.

sticknurdder
03-24-2019, 03:16 PM
Hello,

My name is Christopher. 25 years old, and I've been dreaming of building a log home for over 10 years. I live in the Southwest Michigan area. Are there any members from the MI or IN area on the forum?

Thanks

rckclmbr428
03-24-2019, 04:41 PM
Hello,

My name is Christopher. 25 years old, and I've been dreaming of building a log home for over 10 years. I live in the Southwest Michigan area. Are there any members from the MI or IN area on the forum?

Thanks

We've built a couple in Michigan, both peninsulas

allen84
03-24-2019, 08:50 PM
Hello,

Thanks

Message me... You may already have it but, I'll send you contact info for an LHBA member in your area that runs a sawmill. I believe there is some Indiana folks around here too.

Richard3610
03-28-2019, 09:31 AM
I was wondering about the class. Is it a two day class, or a two year program i'm really interested in building my own cabin and house.

Shark
03-28-2019, 10:09 AM
It is a 2 day class.

Richard3610
03-28-2019, 10:25 AM
It is a 2 day class.

Thanks for the info.

davidwayne3
03-28-2019, 04:19 PM

Thank you for the information.

Chaplain45
03-28-2019, 07:27 PM
We will be building in Brown Co. IN. That is about 40 miles south of Indianapolis.

allen84
03-28-2019, 07:51 PM
The class is 2 days. You'll leave with all the knowledge you need to build. And the members side of the forum has an abundance of more knowledge, experience and ideas. The "program" could be much longer, ask LogHouseNut.

loghousenut
03-28-2019, 08:31 PM
If you want my take on it, it is a two day class that you take three times, taking at least one family member or friend each time, then you play around with the idea for 20 or 30 years til finally you build the log house that you will die in but it takes 10 years or more to build it because you are in no big hurry and you really enjoy the process.

I suppose the short answer, from my perspective ,would be... Take the Class.

loghousenut
03-28-2019, 08:33 PM
PS... I make no money from LHBA (or anyone else) whether you do it or don't. If you have any interest in what you see here, I'd say just do it and let it change your life.

okbuilder
05-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Hi y'all! Been lurking for several months, and yes, I intend to take the class (not this month, likely whenever the next one is, hopefully around end of summer!). We are in the process of selling our current home in Texas and moving to SE Oklahoma (probably McAlester area) and, Lord willing, will rent while finding property and building. I'm very stoked about the prospect of building our next home from logs, and finally have gotten my wife to start getting excited as well :cool: Looking forward to all of it (including the aches and pains hehe)!

Funny thing this... I started another addiction in a very similar way... stumbled across a bowmaking website in 2010, which re-ignited my toxophilia, been making (natural wood) bows ever since. Guess that'll be on hold while I nurse this new addiction lol

loghousenut
05-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Welcome aboard. May I suggest that you'll get more respect on this forum if you'll change your name from okbuilder to reallyawesomebuilder.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

loghousenut
05-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Will someone please PM that man and warn him about me.

mudflap
05-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Warning: loghousenut's filter is broken. And that's how we like it. On the bright side....

Well, welcome aboard anyway!

I keep thinking I'm about to shingle my place, but the rain has other plans. I'll get there.

Shark
05-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Welcome aboard. May I suggest that you'll get more respect on this forum if you'll change your name from okbuilder to reallyawesomebuilder.

That right there is some funny stuff ;)

okbuilder
05-09-2019, 04:41 AM

I saw that one coming lol, I'm a punny guy who loves plays on words. Even better when it gets a response (even a roll of the eyes hehe)!
Maybe I'll make the suggested change AFTER I build this home :cool: I really don't know why OKBUILDER was not already taken XD

Will someone please PM that man and warn him about me.

loghousenut I've been poring through the forum for a bit, I'm well aware that these threads "may contain nuts" :p

mudflap I've been following your build very closely...looking good! You had me rolling with your analysis of what must go on in those automotive design meetings at the big car makers! How many times have I had very similar thoughts when working on a car (or stickbuilt house, or...just about anything mass-produced for sheer profit)!?!
Hope the rain lets up a bit so we can both get stuff done!

mudflap
05-09-2019, 05:03 AM
I'm well aware that these threads "may contain nuts" :p

mudflap I've been following your build very closely...looking good! You had me rolling with your analysis of what must go on in those automotive design meetings at the big car makers! How many times have I had very similar thoughts when working on a car (or stickbuilt house, or...just about anything mass-produced for sheer profit)!?!
Hope the rain lets up a bit so we can both get stuff done!

Thank you! And OMG! don't get me started on the way they make cars work (not work) these days. :) And I'm a young-un, comparatively.

link for the un-interested: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/stuck-in-the-mud/

Still can't believe they do this kind of stuff- and there's absolutely no reason for it. sheesh.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/Beer-nuts.jpg/1200px-Beer-nuts.jpg

Anna
05-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your advice. My husband and I took the class this passed weekend. Waiting for my member only sign on soon. Thanks for your comment.

mcknzAlex
06-12-2019, 06:03 PM
HEY THERE, I am here to get some tips on how to renovate an old cabin.

panderson03
06-12-2019, 07:01 PM
hi there, mcknzAlex. welcome

BoFuller
06-12-2019, 08:12 PM
HEY THERE, I am here to get some tips on how to renovate an old cabin.

A gazillion variables there.
Renovate to original? To your liking?
What kind of shape is it in?
Pictures?

Welcome.

loghousenut
06-12-2019, 11:30 PM
Yeah, if there are no photos there are no cabins.

deanpegal
06-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Hi, I'm Dean and I'm new here, Nice to meet you all.

loghousenut
06-19-2019, 09:26 PM
Dean, It is not much of a meeting if you don't brag about yourself or ask a question... I am loghousenut, he of the non-capitalized forum name. I joined the LHBA in 1981 and it changed my life. Most of us don't take over 30 years to start our dream home and most of us don't take 10 years to build the rascal, but most of us don't enjoy the process as much as I and my Family have. Don't be so wishywashy about why you are here and what you want out of us. We have been there, just like you.

https://i.imgur.com/YgOrYLT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YgOrYLT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9XXCv4U.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DOT4oZZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ok4nOTM.jpg

litebug
07-19-2019, 04:56 PM
My name is Mike. I seen this forum a few years ago, now looking for something new as I get closer to retirement age. I would like to take the next class and learn as much as I can. Currently located in Columbus Ohio, my work takes me through out my state and the surrounding states. I operate a small ( one F350 and 34ft trailer) hotshot company all my work is expedited. I would also like to visit and possibly help someone working on their project.

loghousenut
07-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Mike, you waited too long to go to class. We have just moved into our place and had a re-wedding (30 year anniversary) a week after out first legal night. We have just announced our Housewarming Party, scheduled for Labor Day Weekend.

This Housewarming is only open to LHBA members but, if you sign up for the next class I would love to have you catch a load to the left coast and, if you time it right, you will meet folks just like me and my Wife who have built one of these things with our own hands and without a mortgage. Trust me, you will not regret it.

https://i.imgur.com/aBuwx64.jpg

PS... This photo shows our new home, myself, my brother-in-law, my Wife of 30 years, and our Son, Jake... You figure out who is what and take the class.

litebug
07-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Congrats on renewing your love commitment. Nice picture, of you and yours. Very impressive log structure.

mudflap
07-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Congrats on renewing your love commitment. Nice picture, of you and yours. Very impressive log structure.Oh, yes, they all are. ;)

welcome!

loghousenut
07-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Congrats on renewing your love commitment. Nice picture, of you and yours. Very impressive log structure.You seem vulnerable to a sales pitch. You don't have to wait til you are old and worn out to live in a log home that you built with your own hands.

We are mortgage free. The place is OURS. That's the big deal. You take as long a time as you need to build the home of your dreams and then you get to live in it without a rent payment. If my Wife needed $500,000 to live another 10 years I'd dump this place in a heartbeat, but most likely we will live out our days in a nice house and Will the Boy a real head start it this world.

I know folks my age who are tossing out $1800 per month on a stupid 2 bedroom apartment. Those same folks have chuckled at me for years every time we meet as they ask "When are you gonna move into that cabin you've been bragging about for all these years?".

If I was you, I'd take the class. Thatsvas true a statement as you can get, because I was you once and I took the class.

By the way, I am just a guy who likes this LHBA thing. I get no commission. The only thing I get out of talking you into taking the class is the opportunity to come to your log peeling party.

No, I am busy that week, but take the class anyway

David Trent
08-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Hello everyone (especially Steve!).
My wife (CK) and I just bought a generally dried in log home in Alabama and have a three year plan to finish it. It will be our retirement home and we are super excited!
Nearly all of the logs are stacked and the roof is on. I'd say dried in (and it is) but some soffit area logs are not yet in, so critters can come and go right now.
The interior is a blank slate right now and our goal is to avoid covering the beautiful logs and let them be our interior view!
The home is off grid but has enough solar/generator power to give us nearly all of the comforts of home.
Our plan is to learn a ton (concealing wiring, plumbing and finishing logs for starters) and complete the home pretty much by ourselves.
Looking forward to learning and getting to know our fellow log home builders!

loghousenut
08-06-2019, 01:27 PM
I can't see any of the photos. Welcome CK n David.

mudflap
08-06-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm in alabama, near huntsville. Where's your house?

Chewie
08-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Greetings Ladies and Gents...

Like so many before, I am a long time lurker and now a first time poster.

My lovely wife and I are currently residing in the Memphis, TN area. I have recently started looking at property in Arkansas to build a retirement home.

I have signed up for the email alert for the next class.......I can't wait! My wife on the other hand.....thinks I'm a wee bit nuts. I'm betting the class will change her attitude.

Jeff

I

blane
08-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Jeff,
You might be nuts by the time you are done but you will be in a more peaceful place��. You will both be glad you did it and it will give you something to do with your retirement.

mudflap
08-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Greetings Ladies and Gents...

Like so many before, I am a long time lurker and now a first time poster.

My lovely wife and I are currently residing in the Memphis, TN area. I have recently started looking at property in Arkansas to build a retirement home.

I have signed up for the email alert for the next class.......I can't wait! My wife on the other hand.....thinks I'm a wee bit nuts. I'm betting the class will change her attitude.

Jeff

IProbably seeing one would help as well. That's what helped me. There's a few in Nashville. I'm in north Alabama. I'm "under roof", but haven't started the inside.

Welcome to the forum!

BoFuller
08-14-2019, 02:53 PM
My wife already knew I was nuts. Building this home just solidified it. :)

loghousenut
08-14-2019, 02:56 PM
I agree with Blane and your Wife, but seeing that you are sane enough to sign up for email notifications, you are probably sane enough for class. I look forward to harassing you on the Member's side of the forum.

Chewie
08-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Probably seeing one would help as well. That's what helped me. There's a few in Nashville. I'm in north Alabama. I'm "under roof", but haven't started the inside.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks MudFlap!

I have really enjoyed reading your blog and watching the videos. There is some really great stuff there.

Chewie
08-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks Bo and LHN.

Yea, she keeps rolling her eyes when she finds me spending hours reading all the blogs and looking at all the pictures. I keep having to reminder her that I could be looking at something worse....... boat pictures.

But MudFlap is right. I think a visit to a near by house would help.

mudflap
08-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks Bo and LHN.

Yea, she keeps rolling her eyes when she finds me spending hours reading all the blogs and looking at all the pictures. I keep having to reminder her that I could be looking at something worse....... boat pictures.

But MudFlap is right. I think a visit to a near by house would help.Thank you. Let me know when. I'm about 3.5 hours away....

took me about 10 years of not saying anything before my wife was convinced.... wasn't totally her fault- we were pretty poor for most of that, and then I went back to school. We were only ready for about 2 years before I got "the text" giving me the green light.... whereupon I mashed on the gas and haven't looked back.

loghousenut
08-15-2019, 08:27 AM
You know, my Wife rolled her eyes a lot too. She'd built a kit "log" house in a previous life and was pretty savvy about how Her log home oughta look and what she wanted in a future log home. We went to class together (I proposed to Her the night before class) and she was an easy convert to this way of doing it. Almost an instant fanatic. She is not bashful about climbing right in the middle of it whenever someone mentions the word kit and the word log in the same sentence. I am a firm believer that both parties should either...

1... Go to class together, hand in hand and starry-eyed.

or

2... Get the divorce before class and divide up all the assets before there is a half built LHBA building for the lawyers to argue over. Her attorney will be able to minimize the value of "that pile of crooked logs" right up until it is time to access what her half is worth.

BoFuller
08-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Good advice for most people. Not critical though. My wife was onboard with my dream but had no desire whatsoever to go to the class. She supported me all through the process, but said no way to going to the class. She wouldn’t have gone even if it was free.

mudflap
08-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Good advice for most people. Not critical though. My wife was onboard with my dream but had no desire whatsoever to go to the class. She supported me all through the process, but said no way to going to the class. She wouldn’t have gone even if it was free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk ProMine too!

Just make sure, if she doesn't go, that she really is on board. I'd still say me and Bo would be the exception. So LHN is almost right. Ifn I woulda tried this lhba stuff with my ex (shudder)....

Buying a house together is hard.

Building one together (like with a contractor) is harder.

Building one yourselves even more so.

Building a log home from raw materials together.....

Yeah.

More corners
08-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Mike, you waited too long to go to class. We have just moved into our place and had a re-wedding (30 year anniversary) a week after out first legal night. We have just announced our Housewarming Party, scheduled for Labor Day Weekend.

This Housewarming is only open to LHBA members but, if you sign up for the next class I would love to have you catch a load to the left coast and, if you time it right, you will meet folks just like me and my Wife who have built one of these things with our own hands and without a mortgage. Trust me, you will not regret it.

https://i.imgur.com/aBuwx64.jpg

PS... This photo shows our new home, myself, my brother-in-law, my Wife of 30 years, and our Son, Jake... You figure out who is what and take the class.

LHN~ Love the shot of your re-wedding. Will not be there for the party on Labor Day, but so happy for you getting into your home. Incredible!

loghousenut
08-17-2019, 12:38 PM
LHN~ Love the shot of your re-wedding. Will not be there for the party on Labor Day, but so happy for you getting into your home. Incredible!

Thank You. I expect to see you on your next trip to the wrong coast.

Jfleming
02-16-2020, 06:56 PM
Hello All,

John from Australia here. Just purchased and moved into a log home, and so I am looking for tips and tricks etc. I have some maintenance to do, and so I thought I would drop and say hi.

Cheers
J

panderson03
02-22-2020, 02:35 PM
hi there JFleming. welcome

Blondie
02-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Hello, and welcome.

aaroncgi
03-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Hi All!

Long time lurker here, extremely infrequent poster. I don't know if I ever have officially introduced myself. My name is Aaron, my wife's name is Jaime. We are planning to build a B&P log home within the next 4-5, on acreage in western Washington state. I've been designing the house and other things on the property for the past three or so years (even though we've only owned the property a little over a year), reading and studying as much as I can on just about every aspect of construction. Our vision and dream has definitely become more real since we purchased the property and have done a few small improvements, with lots more to come this year. We're really looking forward to the whole process.

Regards,
Aaron

loghousenut
03-13-2020, 05:19 PM
Aaron and Jaime, Looking back on the process, I can assure you that you have every reason to look forward to the process.

Why not take the class so we can talk to you on the member's side of the forum? That's where the action happens. Good deal on legal plans too that pays for the course.

DoubleJRanch
03-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Hello, name is Rick from Washington, I own 40.52 acres of timberland next to the Okanogan National Forest at 3400 feet in elevation. I have built a cabin on it already, complete with a ranger station, campground with 6 campsites, solar community well (livestock design) and professional signage. Its all private for family. I have always loved log cabins and wanted to attend when classes were in my home state, but they move to Vegas. Good news, its all online now, so I signed up for lifetime membership and here I am. I plan on retiring in about 4 to 5 years. Getting ducks in a row to build a modest sized cabin to retire in.

I am married, 2 girls, 4 grand-kids, live in Olympia, hobbies are ham radio, shooting, hunting, but haven't done any in 12 years, I spend all my vacation time at my cabin now playing and making improvements to the land. I'm a Toyota dealer tech by trade, same place for 31+ yrs now.

Wanting to get to know others in here. I have loads of great pictures to share too. Not log stuff yet, but know members will enjoy. Havent figured out how to post pictures yet.
Rick

loghousenut
03-14-2020, 03:33 PM
Rick, you are smack in the middle of LHBA territory. Lucky man!

How did you like the online class?

Start posting photos and making the relationships that will force is locals to stop in when we are in the neighborhood.

DoubleJRanch
03-14-2020, 07:30 PM
Just signed up, working through it now, love it so far. Any LHBA member is always welcomed at my place. Its a nice special place. I'm headed up at the end of April with a small work party and my Kubota tractor to build a log type park shelter (12X16) it will be framed in logs, roof will be sheeted with plywood and light green metal roofing to match the other structures. I suspect I may only get the footers built. I have dropped and skidded some beetle kill already. I have a Kawasaki Mule 4WD that skids logs with ease. Have my barking spuds ready, I also have a log wizard on a chain saw I set up just for peeling. Ground off all cutting teeth, its jsut a log peeler now. Few draw knives..

Rick

DoubleJRanch
03-14-2020, 07:35 PM
OK, trying to figure out how to post an image.

allen84
03-14-2020, 07:51 PM
All those pictures showed up on my end. And your website works too. I'd love to pick your brain about the website a little bit.

loghousenut
03-15-2020, 12:52 AM
I don't see a website but I do see a problem with those photos. What's up with all the gravel? We want to see either mud or dust. I see no old trucks or piles of tires. And where is all your junk lumber that is too good to burn until it is to rotten to burn hot?

That painted container building has a better roof on it that my town's Post Office building and as for that fence around the solar panel, well I have seen less secure airfields at USAF SAC bases (look it up Bo).

I want you to fit in here but you have to meet us half way. Try to tone it down on the civilized photos and please, please, please, no photos of a shiny new truck.

You are welcome.

DoubleJRanch
03-15-2020, 08:29 AM
I don't see a website but I do see a problem with those photos. What's up with all the gravel? We want to see either mud or dust. I see no old trucks or piles of tires. And where is all your junk lumber that is too good to burn until it is to rotten to burn hot?

That painted container building has a better roof on it that my town's Post Office building and as for that fence around the solar panel, well I have seen less secure airfields at USAF SAC bases (look it up Bo).

I want you to fit in here but you have to meet us half way. Try to tone it down on the civilized photos and please, please, please, no photos of a shiny new truck.

You are welcome.

LOL, like your humor. Oh, when I was building it, July of 2008, it was dust, locals call it moon dust. Consistency of brown flour and no matter how easily you stepped, a plume of dust rose up. When it became wet, it was slippery and stuck to your shoes.
Most of that gravel was a result of the Okanogan Complex fire in 2015, it almost burnt the entire place, twice in one fire. Several came together, Northstar fire chewing its way and was meeting Okanogan complex. As it was making its second attempt to burn me out, it had come down the mt peak chewing its way towards me and 1/2 mile away, a monsoon downpour of rain snuffed the entire fires out over there. I have my twin brothers ashes over there, he is my gate keeper and is keeping it safe. :o

Just before all that, I went over to clear back brush and trees, I had lots more trees close to cabin. I moved it all back, brought in about 250 yards the following spring. I had a full thinning operation last spring, my forest needed attention, was full of thick stands of small trees, stressed and falling victim to western bark beetle. This was mainly for fires too. The state of WA DNR picked up 75% of that cost, just under 50K, my cost was about 13K. The cutter was a former USFS wild land firefighter and loved my decor and theme. I met him in person. So after he did the job, he sends me a link, a commercial video for his biz and asked me if I recognized the place. https://vimeo.com/345222301

I'll post a map of the burn and the small dot is my 40 acres, and a link is below in my sig file. Scroll down, you will see the link for "Wildfire Home Protection Video" right under his logo and link to his biz. The video was 95% shot on my place. He was kind to obscure my signage etc to not reveal my location.

Link above is the fire map, that burn area is huge.
The reason for all the gravel is "gravel doesnt burn"
No more wood piles on my porch or under the porch, even gable vents should have baffles, blowing sparks enter, start attics on fire. Trim should be beveled on the top to roll off sparks, cement board trim against house from porch, special deck coating for fire resistance, I did the obvious, cleared all brush back, graveled, raked all those ponderosa cones.

The well enclosure, my front 20 is fully fenced, but if free ranging cattle do get it, they rub up against it and destroy it. They are heavy and very powerful animals, one doesn't realized how bit they are until closer to them. Reason for the fence. I do not leave the panel in place.

I did have a huge box full of lumber scraps for firewood, its an apple box and its full or bits, and a squirrel nest some where at the bottom. I have a full footer/stemwall foundation, that is a plus on fires.

A picture of one area at the cabin before thinning and after.

After thinning, same exact spot. Yes, that is snow last April. The barren landscape under the trees was lush green pine grass within a month, never has it looked so lush.

DoubleJRanch
03-15-2020, 08:33 AM
... and please, please, please, no photos of a shiny new truck.

You are welcome.

It was new, 10 yrs ago when I bought it new, but still looks the same today. ;)

loghousenut
03-15-2020, 11:55 AM
I like the pallet box and the ugly shipping container but that truck has California money written all over it.

DoubleJRanch
03-15-2020, 05:36 PM
I like the pallet box and the ugly shipping container but that truck has California money written all over it.

That pallet box is an old apple box, its now full of scrap lumber for my woodstove and houses a bunch of chimpmunks under it. They also managed to dig under my container and reside in there. I screened off the fork pockets, but they just dug under it. Not hurting anything, so I am going to leave them be.

As for Cally $$, no way, local boy, been here in WA my entire life, born in Seattle, moved to Shelton as a kid (logging town), now reside in Olympia. Been in the southern puget sound area all my life, 3 generations on both sides come from this same area. Both my grandfathers retired from Boeing. Not a big city liberal at all, very conservative, love the woods, like shooting, log homes, cabins in the woods, hunting (but havent hunted since started cabin, spend all my vacation time there now). Mechanic by trade, but a master at many other areas too. Metal fabbing, leather carving, plumbing, electrical... :o That cabin, I built (I know, not logs, but...) container set up...
My last metal project, a pile of steel turned into this.

loghousenut
03-15-2020, 08:29 PM
We'll all talk it over behind your back and decide whether you are too fancy for us or not.

I'll admit, you do a fair job of defending your honor.

Mosseyme
03-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Rick don't worry about the nut
I think you've already got his number but if not he will grow on you. Just wait, you'll be begging him to write a book like the rest of us do. I don't know why he doesn't now that he is finally living in his beautiful unique log house.

DoubleJRanch
03-16-2020, 04:53 AM
Rick don't worry about the nut
I think you've already got his number but if not he will grow on you. Just wait, you'll be begging him to write a book like the rest of us do. I don't know why he doesn't now that he is finally living in his beautiful unique log house.

I appreciate anyone with a good sense of humor, I picked up on that quickly ;). Heck, I am going to threaten to invite him up to my place this year, show him around. If he likes junk in yards, he will love the locals. LOL. loghousenut, headed up end of april, june and august. Pick one, PM me, I'll give you a date and location. :D Besides, looks like he has a few Toyotas, he has to be OK in my book (Toyota dealer tech by trade)

Now I'd like to see members threads for their builds, are they in the members only section or in the public section? I figured there would be a specific location. Looking at build photos from start to finish would be nice to see.

I'm new here, but enjoying this place a lot.

BoFuller
03-16-2020, 09:16 AM
Besides, looks like he has a few Toyotas, he has to be OK in my book (Toyota dealer tech by trade)

Now I'd like to see members threads for their builds, are they in the members only section or in the public section? I figured there would be a specific location. Looking at build photos from start to finish would be nice to see.

I'm new here, but enjoying this place a lot.

There are lots of build threads, but probably only on the members side. You’ll like mine (AZ Ranch) especially because I had a Tacoma all during the build, and now I traded it for a Tundra. :)