PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Timber
03-01-2008, 05:29 PM
P.S. I saw this on craigslist and was curious if it is a good or decent deal, and if it is please pass it on to the LHBA community, as this is to far out for me. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/for/585184451.html

Thanks again and look forward to meeting and hearing from all of you.

Jason

Hey Jason-Bible says Love is patience -so get some love and you will have patience!-What can I say I am a preacher so I took my opportunity. Great your taking the class--when you say bear damage--you mean as in a bear damaged or bare wood?(big difference bare bear--as in Captin Ron guerrilla gorilla) As far as your ? goes on using different dried trees it wont matter but I would try and get them about all the same. Those big fir trees on craigslist--sounds like a great deal..........for the seller--but I could be wrong.

Captin Ron

Lislenlee
03-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I have been telling my husband about this site for a year now and finally he let me sign up for the April 19th class. I am tickled PINK! I am so happy to report that we own a lot outright with timber and hope that after the class we will build our own log house and never make another payment! However, since we are in our senior years I am hoping to meet up with some "Youngins" who might like to help us in the process. We live in the San Juan Islands, anybody near by want to lend a hand?

Stretch
03-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Howdy all. Wow!!! I have been following this site for a while and have been inspired by all of the folks here doing and following their dream. This is something I've wanted to do for a while and am glad I found this site. Although, it will be further down the road before I get ready to build and take the class, I'm eventually going to do it. Right now, I have other obligations and priorities, but, will be working to attain this goal as soon as I can.

Love all your stories, pictures, and the great information sharing. I have no construction experience, but, have managed to do some minor home repairs over the years. I know I have a lot to learn and want to do it right.

Where is Kola? He is the initial inspiration that I followed. Like to keep up with his progress as well as others. I'm hoping to take the class within the next couple of years and start building within 5 years. I hope to be able to retire in 8-10 years. I'm thinking of building on weekends which means a reasonable driving distance from dallas, probably east texas where there is plenty of pine forest. Eventually, once retired, I may do it again somewhere in the southwest, maybe southern Colorado, or northern New Mexico. I prefer drier climates with less humidity with milder winters and summers.

Also, I read recently about a lady from phoneix with 5 kids who lost her husband to cancer recently and is planning on building. May god bless you and give you the strength to accomplish your goals. I can relate since I too have lost my wife recently to cancer and have two boys. I'm 49 with 2 sons that are 20 and 13. The loss of a spouse and being a single parent has it's challenges. Going forward with the ideas of this community is one more challenge that should be worth the time and effort. I guess what I'm saying here is, go for it!

Thanks to all in this community for sharing and for Steve and the rest of the instructors. You are truely giving by helping many folks attain their dreams of financial freedom and quality of living. Thanks again.

Klapton
03-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Still smilin,

I'm not sure exactly what the bears have done to those trees. If it's just a matter of them eating the bark, and the wood is not seriously damaged, they should be fine. If they have cut into the grain of the log, it's not so good. One of the main reasons for hand-peeling whole logs is because of the natural moisture resistance of the log itself when left intact. I wouldn't say you CAN'T use em though. As Skip has been known to say, "the best logs are the ones you already have."

You can skid logs after they are peeled, you just have to be careful. Some folks use two-wheeled "carts" for the dragging end of logs when they skid with four-weelser or cars. One of these would be a good thing to help prevent damage when skidding a peeled log.

Using logs that are at different levels of seasoning should not be a huge problem when doing BnP. The biggest problem encountered with green logs in BnP is that as the logs shrink toward their centers, they can pull away from the chinking leaving a small gap. With some green logs and some seasoned, this will just happen more randomly -- i.e. where the greener logs are.

Lislenlee,

I do hope someone is able to come help you in the San Juans. We have several members building on Camano Island, so there are some folks who aren't too far away. I'm in the planning stages right now, and will be moving back home to WA in the next year or so (dunno where yet, probably around Index / Skykomish). The unfortunate thing about the San Juans is having to take a ferry to get there. I do hope that this does not dissuade folks too much. Is your husband taking the class too? I know it's a bit pricy to both go, but I would definitly recommend that you both go.

Stretch,

Kola decided to take a break from online activity. A handful of folks are in contact with him, and he's doing ok. He spent less time in his Tipi than he had hoped during this cold winter.

Stretch
03-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Clapton,

Thanks for the Kola update. Glad he is doing okay. I hope he keeps us posted with his progress.

Thanks.

Stretch

GENE13
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi, my name is Gene Justice. I live and work in Barbourville, Ky. which is located in the Cumberland Plateau of the Appalachian Mountains. Cumberland falls is a short 20 minutes away, the Falls are famous for having the only MOONBOW that is visible anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere. My wife and I have been blessed with 30 acres 10-15 minutes outside of town. We purchased the land about 4 years ago with the intent of building a log home there "it would fit right in with the mountains, two creeks, and the pond" someday. Well after almost 4 years of land clearing etc. we are close to making the move. We have been reviewing kits for sometime now, and then I found this wonderful site, and I am hooked. We also have no building codes in the county "except plumming & electric" so everything is fine there. Trees however could be a small problem, we live in Oak country, in that almost every tree is a hardwood and most of them is oak. Logging is the second largest industry "coal being the first" in our area, plenty of saw mills too, but no inexpensive softwoods. I would hate to cut our beautiful oak trees down but it is an option. I'm hoping to take the April 19-20 class if I can clear my schedule for that weekend. I'm really excited about this whole idea of building your own log home, and I've been very impressed with this forum, and all the members as well. It's like people helping people, sincerely giving each other hope, knowledge, and inspiration.

God bless one and all !!!! :-)

Tom Featherstone
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Hello!!

I'm Tom Featherstone from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. My wife Linda & I will be attending the April 5/6th class. I've poured over this web site for almost 2yrs now and until now& would pretty much agree what Gene13 and most others has already had to say. I'm not much of a web chatter/text messager, the cell phone is so much easier. I'll try a little harder at it.

Everyone has a story, here's an abbreviated version of our's.

Linda & I will be married 29yrs this year and with our wedding money we purchased a 20 acre parcel of land south of Marquette with the dream that we would build a log home, raise a few chickens & pigs, & work at McDonald's to pay the taxes. Well, things didn't quite work out that way......
21 winters ago, we moved from metro Detroit, with our 3 young children, sold our 20 acres and put a down payment on an Old house in town. Kind of went for broke, so to say, and almost did, or is it almost are, seeing that we still have a hefty mortgage. The good side is, our kids are pretty much on their way......and we do own a beautiful old pig farm parcel [camp] 20 mins from where we live.

What happened to our dream of a log home, went to the wayside for all the reason's on why not to build a log home that we've all read here in this forum, I did not know this method/association existed until 2yrs ago. I wish I would have connected with this organization 20yrs ago, we'd be living in our log home now.

I'm a finisher by trade; paint, drywall, interiors mostly, been doing it for 31 yrs this year. If I can offer anyone any help there, I'm more than willing. I'm not looking for work.

Thanks to all of you that have contributed to this site and organization, you've revived a dream in someone who'll turn 50 this May.
We're getting excited, we purchased our plane tickets Friday.

Tom

Timber
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm a finisher by trade; paint, drywall, interiors mostly, been doing it for 31 yrs this year. If I can offer anyone any help there, I'm more than willing. I'm not looking for work. < Tom said

yea Tom I have over 24 years in Drywall I just need to know one thing? How do I get out?
l Like the money but no longer enjoy any of it. Guess I need to just get workers and start contracting instead of doing it all.

Tom Featherstone
03-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Had employee's, now been solo for about 10yrs, in the end I make more money with less headaches. Maybe part of the reason that both of us are looking into the LHBA. The only advice I can give is to follow your dreams with a passion.........it makes getting up in the am a lot easier. I can't honestly say I love what I do, but I don't hate it, if I did, I would quit that day. I do have a lot of end of job satisfaction. I do mostly remods and high end work, I'm hooked up with the right generals up here. I would be very bored with the new junk they are building out there today, so I pretty much stay away from "industry standards" work. I've learned that there is a lot more money in those sacks of mud in repair and tie in work, than beating your head against the "board" and competing for pennies a foot........besides painters/drywallers are a dime a dozen eh? anybody can do it, Bob Zilla showed me how on tv last night.

I like your quote at the bottom of your posts. Everyday I relearn how little I actually know.

Tom

Klapton
03-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Interesting stories. I approaching 40 now, and have had an interesting ride in life. When I was younger, my "dream" career shifted several times. I did 4.5 years of active duty army (Army Band, stationed in Berlin, Germany,) so I could afford to go to college. I did some gen-ed coursework while I was in, then got out and pursued that oh-so-lucrative major of HISTORY, lol. I finished my degree at Penn State, was enrolled at Biblical Theological Seminary in Hatfield, PA to pursue a M.A. in "Christian Thought" (a blend of Church History and Systematic Theology). The next step was going to be a PHd in Historical Theology with concentration in Reformation Studies from Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids, MI (home of the largest collection of original Swiss Reformation documents outside of Zurich!). Then after a post-doctoral fellowship in Switzerland, I would get a job teaching History at a univesity or seminary, and be the world's leading expert on Ulrich Zwingli.

But I found that I was working SO hard while I was in school (I worked full time while carrying a full load of classes, getting nearly straight As), but still DIRT POOR, and would have had to sink deeply into debt.

So I took a job cooking in a Rescue Mission (I did restaraunt and institutional cooking when I was a kid, and while an undergrad). While there, I got a job working in their Development office (fundraising) and met my first database. While there, I took a job at a business school teaching computer application courses at night (Word, Excel, Access, etc.). Before long, the school wanted me full time. While working there, I sat in on many of our IT / Programming courses, and then the recruited me to teach Programming. I did that for several years until declining enrollment in the program led to layoffs (including mine).

Now I make Vital Records database applications (electronic filing of birth certificates, death certificates, etc.) The real sweet thing about this job is that I telecommute. This will enable me to buy some property in the mountains of WA somewhere, and not worry about my commute. So now I will be able to have another one of the dreams I always had -- a log home in the middle of nowhere.

One of the small titbits of wisdom I used to tell my students is this: "They don't pay you because you like it. They pay you because it SUCKS. That's why they call it WORK. If you liked it, you'd do it for free." I remind myself of this from time to time. Because there was always SOMETHING about every job I ever had that I really disliked. If you truly HATE your job, yeah... you should find another one. But when you get right down to it, you do your job so you can have money and survive, and hopefully have a little left over to do what you actually like when you aren't working. But work has always sucked -- "Cursed is the ground for your sake; in toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, and you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for dust you are, and to dust you shall return."

Timber
03-04-2008, 07:02 AM
I like your quote at the bottom of your posts. Everyday I relearn how little I actually know.

Tom

Well some of the good generals I know are passed on or retired. I work with another Drywall contractor so we don't need W. C. and all the paper work. We mostly work for homeowners. I got into this trade because I had learned and done it all in a Lumber yard. I even drove truck a 10 wheeler and the main driver was telling me when you roll the load off it will pick the front end of truck off the ground. Naturally I did not believe him until I saw it when I dropped off a big load. I had it easy I was yard boss and just built loads to truck out. I had 2 helpers and I could just drive around on fork lift and tell my yard dogs what to do. My responsibilities were to keep yard organized and make sure nothing was missing on the order when truck left. I was valuable to CO. because I knew every name & piece of moulding and everything we carried-but it was no more of a challenge. I started helping a friend who needed work so I worked my day job then did drywall at night. I believe Home Depot helped put the yard I quit eventualy out of business around twelve years after I quit. Weird thing was I found I did not like drywall-at least hanging it. I took some vacation time off to help friend do a big job. Called the owner of lumber yard said I needed more time off to finish. He said no come back now we need you. So I TOLD HIM CANT have to finish the job! I was going to just quit drywall after that job--is this destiny!So that is how I got into drywall. We have a 16,000 sq ft drywall job coming up-5/8. I got to hang it 12 footers. My best job was working on a 40,000 sq ft house-(Floor Space)-well if you counted the 50 foot underground tennis court (part of the house)and 6 car garage and guest house. That was plaster and I was there with a master of plaster making cornice mouldings etc. What a house-nothing normal about it or the owner of it. Over 12 years in the making and close to 80 million. The plaster contractor was up there most of that time doing odds and ends-I spent close to 2 years up there

The quote was on a sign at my Dad's metal shop class. He taught metal shop at a High School.

Ron

drcmatousek
03-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Hello to everyone. I just found your website and I've been exploring much of what everyone has to say. I'm considering taking a class to be sure. I see that much of what is asked is often replied to with the phrase, "Wait for the class." I think I would consider taking the class if I knew about possibilities for purchasing logs. We put together a tipi years ago and went out to find our poles on National Forest land, cut them, drug them to the road, put them on my truck etc. I don't think I'm up to that kind of hauling anymore. I don't really trust my "eye" for good logs either. So, are there ways to buy logs that are already chosen by those with experience, and have them transported to the building site for a reasonable price? Certainly there are many log trucks in our area, but the idea that they might haul specially chosen logs for a private party would surely be something out of the ordinary.

Klapton
03-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Don't cut and haul your own logs, unless they are on your own property. Even then, LHBA strongly recommends leaving the logging to professional loggers. It's one of the most dangerous jobs there is. (History channel is doing a new series about logging called "Ax Men", very similar to the Ice Road Truckers and Deadliest Catch series.)

The do indeed go into detail in the class about different avenues for accquiring logs. Some avenues are cheaper than others, and there's some market savvy / luck involved too. But I would concur that you should have no trouble finding logs in Idaho.

Those loggers you see in the area? Put yourself in their shoes. Which job would you rather do: the same old mill run with all their paperwork, or that hippie building a log cabin who is paying CASH, hehe. I can't divulge all of our super-sekrets, but just use your imagination a bit. If what you will pay them is slightly better than what the mill will pay, whose job do you think they are going to take?

EMayo
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Hello everyone! I'm finally getting my dream home although it had to be slightly downsized. My husband and I sold our last home in August and are in the process of completing our log home. Because of health and age, we chose to have the heavy work done by Satterwhite Log Homes (a good choice if you are 65-70 yrs old and one of you is disabled). Our interior finish material arrived today (snowing in Texas today) and I am really excited about getting started. For those of you that think a log home is too expensive, you just have to consider what you're getting. Our budget is set in rock so we have no buffer for extras which means I watch the $$ really close and have had to make hard choices in order to achieve our dream. Would love for everyone to follow our progress and comment/ask questions if you have them. Catch our videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/mayosdream

Ellen Mayo
Building Your Dream Home
http://buildingyourdreamhome.us

Timber
03-08-2008, 06:44 PM
You are in Idaho-You should have no problems getting logs. I had a quote by the ton.
The logs were 30-50 feet long some longer. Tops no smaller than 10" most 12"
They are called house logs. I think he quoted me (edit$265 a ton. I had to look it up)and less than 20% moister content. This price did not include delivery. You should not try to build a home unless you take the class. I read these posts and some custom home contractor signed up for the class/Why? Because he is smart for 1-it is not the same as building a conventional house. My question to members are is the class a write off on taxes-I am a contractor and it is school-maybe I could write my trip off also??
Ron

CarmenO
03-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi, My name is Carmen O. I've been looking at this site now for over a year. My husband and I were looking for a way to build a home inexpensively, and we were interested in log homes. I started looking at kits (NOT inexpensive!) and ran across the site. I've been hooked ever since. I was signed up for the class last year about this time, but then realized that I was pregnant. Since I'm the "builder" of the family, I didn't want to be pregnant and lifting logs, etc, so I backed out. Now that I've delivered our third baby, I'm ready to go again. I'm totally addicted to this idea of a "real" log home. I have a few questions about log home construction in Manitoba. Does anyone know about building code or log availability in Manitoba? Are the "rules" different up here than in the states?
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to continuing reading on here.
Carmen O.

el_guapo
03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm Bryan McGuire, I was in the spring 2006 class. Starting to get serious about building. I figure it will be another 3 years before I'm out of debt and have the capital to start, I'll have my land in the Missouri Ozarks paid for this year God willing. The land is 15 acres about 5 miles from Norfolk Lake, I hope to split the land and put cabins on both and sell them both. I'll start simple and do the 30x30 on the first one like Ellsworth advised, no fireplace, pier foundation.
Does anyone know the tax ramifications of splitting land and selling 2 cabins. I know if you live in a residence for 2 years and sell and reinvest in a new residence you don't pay capital gains on the appreciation. What happens when I build two cabins on one parcel, then sell them seperately? I've started buying tools and materials, I've got my 8 triple 6" blocks, thanks to this site and ebay. I'm kind of in a fix though and will possibly have to retake the course, hopefully you'll have the DVD published soon Steve. Anyway, the wife threw me out Chrismas 2006 and at the same time threw out about everything I owned including my workbook from the course. Suprisingly much of the info we learned is availble in the forums
I guess I have a lot of questions, here are a few more. Anyone here use strap hinges from a barn, you can get em real cheap off ebay $10 or so, I'd like to buid my own doors. I was wondering about the consequences of using the drive in pintels, these hinges use. With the massive overhang from the roof the wood probably stay dry and wouldn't have to worry about rot, I don't know. Maybe they compromise the intergrity of the wood that they are driven into though.
I've seen a thread on digging your own well, know anyone that's done it? and how about doing your own septic? If the cabin weren't for re-sale I'd go with a composting toilet and save a bundle. Remember this is the ozarks, no permits needed down here. I could live in a tar paper shack if I wanted to. I just don't care for an out house.
As far as logs, I haven't decided between utilility poles or logs. I can get logs cheap from my wifes nephew, yes we're still married. He's a meth addict but I can still get good logs from him. I just better not ask any questions about where they came from. The thought of having pre-pealed logs is appealing :), I could probably get my poles from the same source tracy used, from what I've read she is in the same neck of the woods.

Anyway, God bless

Klapton
03-10-2008, 07:24 AM
You might want to copy and paste your questions into the member's Log Home Construction forum where it will be easier for folks to answer.

justin.kline
03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself and get my first post out there. I am enrolled in the April 19-20 class and cant wait. I am in the United States Navy working for a Special Warfare Unit as an electronics tech here in Virginia Beach, VA. I have a little over a year left in the service and after I get back from my last deployment my family and I will be moving to southern Colorado and buying a 35 acre piece of land. I love the Navy but I think it is time to go. I have 3 children now and I don't want to raise them in the big cities and leave them at a moments notice and not know when I will return. I would not change my 6 years of service for anything though. My wife and I were both raised in rural Kansas and miss the atmosphere of small community and can't wait to get back to a simple lifestyle. We have been dreaming about and saving for a log home for almost 5 years and hope to do most of all the construction ourselves and debt free. As a matter of fact this is how crazy we are. In order to save more money we are living in a 32 foot long travel trailer on base with 3 small children. With rent at about 1400.00 for what we would need here this is a pretty good alternative. Sometimes it can get crazy but we both know that we are doing it for the right reasons and love the fact that we are teaching our children to work hard, be financially responsible, and take care of what you have. You don't find most of these trait's in most of today's kid's and I am very proud of mine. We are so excited to start the next phase in our life and can't wait to build our lifelong home.

Justin Kline

yetiboy_7
03-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi!
Wahooo! I'm currently driving truck over here in Iraq, one of the guys I'm working with told me about this site, and that's all it took! I wasn't a member for an hour before I signed on to take this upcoming class in April, plus, two more will be attending with me as well, our excitement swells everyday with new ideas as we read all the blogs here, we really can't wait.
Besides working in Iraq, I currently reside near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, near Spokane, Wa. It's definately a growing area, I think these homes already fit in quite nicely with the development that is occurring. Any questions, please feel free to email me at Yetiboy_7@Yahoo.com -

With growing anticipation-
Always,
Axel

battleship
03-16-2008, 09:50 AM
We are looking forward to go to the class on April 19th & 20th, we are hoping that this class will help us build our dream retirment home in Missouri. We have 34 acres of hilly farm land, the main thing we grow are a few black berries and a lot of tics and chiggers. And by the way the tics and chiggers are free for the taking!!!!
We will see ya'll in April,

bertelli
03-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Hello from sunny Florida. I love the ocean but miss the trees and mountains. Our highest elevation is Mt Trashmore the local dump. Looking forward to signing up for the next course and seeking a plot of land to build our 1st log cabin. Wish I could do some preliminary studing. I have read alot of the postings but does anyone have any suggestions of books, articles I can read before teh course? Looking forward to a few slivers.

Thanks Steve

spiralsands
03-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Hello Steve, I live in Florida too. You're right about Florida flatness. I can almost get 32 miles per gallon in my 6 cylinder Chrysler when I put it in cruise. I've even pushed my 4x4 monster Dodge truck to 18MPG.

I took the class last January after collecting alot of information about kit homes and finally going to a log home show in Tampa. I drove away from that thing disgusted about what they were calling log homes these days. I even contacted an architect up in the Adirondacks about his building designs. Then I just cut through all the B**Sh** and took the class in Monroe.

I would suggest reading everything on this site. Don't worry about being prepared for the class because it's after the class that everything else begins to make sense. You'll have a better idea about what books you'll need to read then. Like me? I have a stack of books now about concrete, masonry, plumbing, and my favorite, a book about barn building. I have books on old time woodworking, how to work alone, building for lower tax assessments. I'm even thinking of taking a welding course so I can build a metal staircase. I just finished a preliminary floor plan and I'm going to try to start a model.

I won't be building in Florida though. I'll be building on a 23.5 acre property I bought in 2006, upstate NY, 3 miles southwest of the blue line.

Good luck! I hope you get your class soon.

Loghomeguy
03-23-2008, 11:07 AM
But I want to winter it out in Florida,,,,

:)

Mikey

Loghomeguy
03-23-2008, 01:48 PM
I was born in rural Kansas too, Gypsum 67448.

I took the class in 1987 and the journeyman's course in 1988. I know you will enjoy the course. Southern Colorado sounds great ! You can visit four corners, mesa verde and a lot of great places!!! Thanks for serving the country!

Best wishes,
Mikey

daniel76
03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi.

I am just a guy from sweden. A friend of Skip

Shannonbeth
03-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Shannon and i live in West Central Minnesota. I am engaged and we have 5 children and i am currently pregnant and due in November 2008 with baby number 6.
As any one knows large houses for large families is hard to find and if and when you do find them they like to charge out the a** for them!
I have always loved log houses and i have always wanted one. I actually was talking to my Fiance a few weeks ago telling him it would be cheaper for us to buy land and build our own.
I was just doing some general searching on building log homes and i ran across this site, and am i ever glad i did!
I am just waiting and hoping another class is scheduled yet, sometime fairly early this year.
Can't wait to get to know all of you and see how you're doing on your projects, i have seen all the photos of ones already done and they're just gorgeous!

creemos
03-30-2008, 09:44 AM
After my return in November, 2008, I will begin earnestly seeking out home options for our very large family! We are seriously considering purchasing a log home vs. building. With the "new housing market" taking a dump (i.e., stick home construction), we are wondering how the log-home industry is doing and if the timing is right to buy a student log home vs. building one.

We have six acres around the Angelica, New York area but remain open to living anywhere from north Georgia to New England if the package and/or building opportunities are right! We are seeking enough sqf. for our family of 16. How's that for starters! :)

Anyone have or know of log home project that might fit our situation?

http://www.hike4fathers.com
http://www.truthhiker.com

Debby
03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I can tell you that you won't find a home that large for anywhere near an affordable price. You really should look into taking this course and building a house for yourselves. Sounds like you may have lots of help from family and then you can build what you want.
Debby

pwyatt
04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Hello Steve, it is very nice to meet you. My husband David and I are planning to retire to Richmond, IN in June 2009 on 7 acres of land. We have always wanted to build our own log cabin home and your course sounds like just what we need to get started. Sure hope you have a class between now and then.
Patricia

Change your water...Change your Life!
Discover the Power of Kangen
Presrve your body and the environment!
www.powerofthemind.com

bertelli
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I hear you SPiral. I cannot wait to take the course and get some land off the grid too. I used to live in Mass. and have hiked the Adirondacks and camped out while in school. I see the writting on the wall in regards to fuel and energy and am looking into ways of making the cabin as off the grid as possible.

Florida is nice but getting a bit toooo crowded and inhospitable here in Ft Lauderdale area. Nice to bake the bones but that can be done by a fireplace too. Nice chunk of land you bought. I haven't settled on a state yet. If I find I enjoy building cabins, I would love to build one in each state I want to see.

TIme will tell. Let me know how the build goes.

Timberwolf
04-05-2008, 04:17 AM
It's 6:00am Pacfic Time (my internal clok is set to Eastern), and I'm sitting in my room at the Wallace Falls lodge....waiting.... waiting.

After 2 years of reading this site. After 10+ years of thinking of a log home. After more trains of thought spent on the subject than I can count, I'm about to walk through the door to a reality that until now has only exisited on-line and in my mind.

Boy the clock moves slowly on this coast.

I wish I'd got more sleep.

GENE13
04-05-2008, 06:11 AM
I'll be right behind you on the 19th - 20th class
Hope you have a great day, enjoy, :-)

Runkyjan
04-06-2008, 02:26 PM
We've been watching and reading this site for 2 years now and finally decided to add ourselves to the crowd. We own 150 acres in West Virginia and plan on building there after the Navy is done with me. (or me it) We've picked up ideas and information and are planning on taking the class when we get back to the states. Being stationed here in Japan has made us both long for the open spaces and tranquil silence of our property.

ivanshayka
04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Hello everybody, I am Ivan. I have been looking around this website for the longest time, sence 2006 i think. Just now i sined up for posting forums, I love the discussion about log home.
I am planning to take the class in 2009, after I graduate from nursing program. And by 2013 i am planing to build my log home. Tanks, (sory for the spelling), ivan.

Captain Starbucks
04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm Rob from Washington State. I've been lurking around this website for a few years. Building my own house is one of the last few things on my Bucket List. I'm excited to start on this project. I'm currently looking for land in the Methow Valley, On-grid or off, I still haven't decided yet.

Anyway, I'm signed up for the May 2008 class. See you all there.

dirtmcgirt79
04-14-2008, 04:23 AM
My wife and I have been planning on building a log home for years now.. I'll be honest, up until now we thought that the only way to go was with a milled kit. And we have planned it that way.. But not anymore.. I'm going to sign up for the class soon, and hopefully be able to build our dream home using the methods discussed on this site and in the class.

The good news is that we just inherited 15 spectacular wooded acres and have access to another 200+ acres of family owned land for logs.. So I'm ready to build!! I'm hoping with the sell of our current house that we can make enough to build our next house mortgage free!!

Mandy628
04-15-2008, 03:57 AM
My name is Mandy and I found this site because I'm doing research on Log Homes. My husband and I are interested in building a log home in 2-3 years from now, but I figured it never hurts to compile information ahead of time. We will be building our home in NY. I look forward to gathering more knowledge and advice from this site!! :)

JD
04-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information here and you arrived just in time. The association recommends you begin planning and learning about two years from when you want to start. This way you can start collecting tools, equipment, logs, etc as you find deals and can keep the final cost of construction low. It also allows you to develop your house design, make changes if needed and build your model to make sure that what you designed on paper will actually meet your goals.
Have you considered taking the class? Ask anyone here and they'll tell you it's the best money they ever spent. It will really open your eyes to the possibility of building your own home morgage free, or at least very low mortgage (many variables here but many members have done it). I think there are still seats available for an upcoming class. In the mean time browse and search the forum. I log on every day and haven't even scratched the surface. Ask questions! Everyone here is happy to help any way we can.
Enjoy
JD

Yuhjn
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Holy Cow is all I can say. I've spent dozens of hours reading the public forums over the last couple weeks and I'm in awe.

The depth and breadth of knowledge exhibited by the members is staggering (And where did you guys find Rod?! That guy?s got to be some kind of genius).

I?m signed up for the May class and I?m incredibly excited. I?ve always wanted a log home but until I found this site would never have imagined I could build one myself for a fraction of the cost of a ?traditional? home.

I?m starting to see this as a life changing opportunity for me, not just a way to get a nice home on the cheap. I?m currently writing software for a multi-billion dollar corporation and I?ve really fallen into a very sedentary lifestyle. I work in a dark office all day, get little or no exercise, eat garbage most of the time, and spend much of my free time wondering what I?m doing with my life.

After a couple days on this site the light bulb really went on. All of a sudden the path was clear for me? I will save up some money, buy some land, obtain some logs, move onto the land in some kind of travel-trailer, and start a daily regiment of hard work.

The more I think about it, the more it starts to snowball in my mind. This is my opportunity not only to get out of the rat-race but to really rediscover myself. This is my opportunity to make a radical life altering change that will lead me to a place where I?m living much more in harmony with myself and the world around me.

I?ve heard it said on the forums that this class can be a life-changing experience. Well I?m ready, bring it on!

This is the most impressive online community I?ve seen and that?s obviously a big part of what drives the process. So thanks a lot to those people who make this happen. I can?t wait to get access to the members section.

At this point my biggest challenge, other than waiting for the class, is to not get fired from my job for spending all day on the LHBA web site! ? Can?t lose the job yet, I have to save up some cash to make this happen.

Current status: Waiting for the class and looking for land.

Craig

Klapton
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
I?m starting to see this as a life changing opportunity for me, not just a way to get a nice home on the cheap. I?m currently writing software for a multi-billion dollar corporation and I?ve really fallen into a very sedentary lifestyle. I work in a dark office all day, get little or no exercise, eat garbage most of the time, and spend much of my free time wondering what I?m doing with my life.
I too am a programmer who has been sedentary for the last 10 years or so. Before that, I had nearly every miscellaneous job you can think of, including lots of food service jobs that kept me active.

Donna and I recently joined a gym, and are working to get in shape. Our goals are not only to be healthier and slimmer in general, but also for me to rebuild many of the muscles I let go flabby over the last 10 years. Last year I tiled my basement / foyer, and it KILLED me! I was SO sore, I had to wait more than a week for the pain to subside before I could do the grout. There's no way I'm going to build my log home in a timely fashion if I'm crippled for a week after every time I do anything physical. Anyway, something to think about.

I too am longing to simplify my life and live in harmony with my environment. Fortunately, I telecommute, and my boss is pretty excited for me and my plans, and fully supports keeping me around after I move to the middle of nowhere, hehe. (I currently drive into the office periodically - about a 90 minute drive). I'm still working on my budget for my home. I'm hoping I can afford to have some of the ammenities Donna requires (nice kitchen, luxurious master bath, nice flooring, etc.) and still have enough money to add solar hot water heaters, pv panels, geothermal heat pump, and a windmill. Oh yeah, AND have a spectacular view of the mountain I have pics of on my website.

(btw - my website must seem very crude for being made by a programmer. Please don't take this as an indication of my coding prowess, lol. It's just that right now I don't have much to put there anyway, and building a fancy website right now feels an awful lot like WORK -- you know, the kind I do all day until my eyes bleed.)

Yuhjn
04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah, AND have a spectacular view of the mountain I have pics of on my website.

After looking at that view all I can say is "wow". I sure hope you can make that work, it's a view to die for.

I will probably look for a telecommute job after I build, but during that process I want no outside distractions or obligations if I can possible help it. It's going to be challenging for me to throw off the old habbits and if I can truely isolate myself I think I'll have a better time with it (yes I'm a pretty obsessive person :)

I tried joining a gym... I went a few times and then quit. I find it hard to change my life in small increments like that... too easy to fall back into old patterns. That's why I want the complete immersion in the build. I realize it's going to kill me getting started, but if I've left myself no other option (by quitting my job, selling my current residence, and moving into a travel trailer on some land without utilities) I'll have no choice. I seem to do better when I dont have much choice in the matter. :)

So good luck with your land hunt! I'll be watching your website for progress.

Craig

Clyde
04-17-2008, 06:24 PM
This is a great site. Have always wanted to build my own home for my family, something I could be proud of and so could they. Im motivated to attend the class, but still have some convincing to do w/ family. Anyways great info and seems to be some nice people involved.

mpmonnin
04-19-2008, 03:28 PM
greetings:

class of june 2007 and was/still blown away by the amount of info we got in just a weekend.
hope to get started soon.

rodGroff
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey Steve,
i took the class in Seattle in November of 2006, unfortunately, i don't yet have land or the funds to start building or buying things for a log home, i'm in
the planning, searching, saving-money, stage of the process. I haven't really spent much time on this website since the class, so i'd like to start reading and refreshing my memory on all the stuff that you went over in the class, and i also want to look around for others here in South Carolina who may have advice on good locations, good trees, etc.

opsrto
04-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I am originally from the NW but moved to Missouri about 10 years ago. Fell in love with the Ozarks but miss the mountains. I plan to build a cordwood home so I am not exactly in the right place but everything I have been reading about in reference to alterative energy has in one way or another brought me here. So I figured I would quit lurking and sign in.
I am currently working in Iraq. My down time provides ample opportunity for mind building. I will look at the pics from my place and think everything through from the ground up. Radiant heating, on demand water, wind power, rain catch basin, grey water recycling, red worm composting, raised bed gardening. oh and with the 3/4 acre pond, there are ducks, bass , crappie and if I can keep it cold enough, trout.
That is me in a nut shell

hoganmtnlady
04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Could you please tell me how many cement blocks,stacked 2 high staggered, do I need for a 32' , 8 sided navajo hogan style log cabin foundation. I am getting ready to start digging out the outter perimeter so that I can pour, and smooth out within, cement and then get started on the block laying. I know I am suppose to insert rebar within the middle of each wall area that is to be built and then thru the first log laid. The getting started and making a strong foundation is going to be the hardest for me. Thanks for any help you may have and info. Do you ever hold classes in Missoula, Montana? hml

Klapton
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Could you please tell me how many cement blocks,stacked 2 high staggered, do I need for a 32' , 8 sided navajo hogan style log cabin foundation. I am getting ready to start digging out the outter perimeter so that I can pour, and smooth out within, cement and then get started on the block laying. I know I am suppose to insert rebar within the middle of each wall area that is to be built and then thru the first log laid. The getting started and making a strong foundation is going to be the hardest for me. Thanks for any help you may have and info. Do you ever hold classes in Missoula, Montana? hml
Classes are held in Monroe, WA.

Your question about foundations isn't one that can be answered very simply here. Cement blocks really aren't strong enough to hold up a log structure. You want to have at least poured concrete pier blocks every six or seven feet (you should consult an engineer for specifics), or use a continuous poured foundation. If there is one step you might consider leaving to professionals rather than doing it yourself, one of the most cost-effective ones is excavation and concrete work. But even then, the specifics about how that foundation should be built should be answered by an engineer.

I think you could benefit greatly from taking the class. I have imagined what it might be like to build an octagonal log home, and the techniques and principles taught in the class should work fine. (I have no idea what kind of roof to put on it though... they encourage a simple, gable roof in the class, because everything they teach in the class is geared toward simplicity and cost-effectiveness).

catjlin
04-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Hi everyone! I have been 'lurking' on the site for probably two years, finally got signed up so that I can post. We currently live in an A-frame in the Rockies, but have dreamt about building my own log home since I was a little girl (just have to convince my other half!). Hoping to find some property in Wyoming in the next year or so and start building in two or three. Can't make it to the May class, but really crossing our fingers for the next one to be scheduled.

spiralsands
04-24-2008, 06:25 AM
My name is Mandy and I found this site because I'm doing research on Log Homes. My husband and I are interested in building a log home in 2-3 years from now, but I figured it never hurts to compile information ahead of time. We will be building our home in NY. I look forward to gathering more knowledge and advice from this site!! :)

Hi Mandy,

Where in NY are you going to build? already have land? I am going to build on a 23.5 acre lot I picked up in 2006 near the town of Dolgeville, 3 miles from the Adirondack blue line. There are a few more Ny'er aboard.

Frances

Lislenlee
04-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Hello everybody from the April 19th class! I for one am very excited! I learned all the stuff we need to go ahead and build. Thanks to two great teachers, Steve and Ellsworth. The other teacher is the house itself. Worth every cent to attend!
I spoke to our county tax assessor(San Juan County, Washington) and got a few tips on reducing future property tax. One is that open lofts are not taxed at the same rate as closed in rooms. Cool, right? I wanted a loft to make the house feel more open any way and now I find that it is even cheaper on taxes. Also, basements are taxed at a cheaper rate than the main levels of the house. Taxes are of serious concern as they are one of the few expenses we will have after we build our home. By the way, I am actually Sharon, the one with so many questions in class. Keep in touch everybody.

CB y CB
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Taking the plunge.

Working on talking the lady into taking the class, and looking for land. Mostly working on the lady.

Hi to all

CB

Kola
04-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Welcome Sharon! wear your badge proudly

and welcome to the NOOBIES!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/kola58/whacky024.gif

So,get on the list..get on the list
Hurry up newbies or ya might get missed..
and if you're missed
ya might pis..zzzzt..
(err I mean mad.)

wheres Steve with his Hakiu stuff?

heh heh
Kolapest

Idaho Jay
04-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Hi all,

Family and I are relocating to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho next month and we are going to construct our own home - log home that is. Our first stop is buying a piece of property in the area. If anybody has any advice on this stage I would sure appreciate it... I plan on joining the association, attending the class, and starting the build all in due time but must first pick out the right acreage.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all and eventually meeting you.

Thanks and have a great week.

Idaho Jay
gatrdet98@aol.com

adubar
04-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Welcome Idaho Jay,

The class contains some tips on finding land, but if you happen across a deal before you take the class, be very careful to read the title. Also, do some research on adjoining properties and speak to owners of those properties if you can locate them.

The main thing to look-out for in the Western US in rural properties is to verify who owns the mineral and water rights. Don't take these for granted. Water rights may be covered by a communal agreement by local authorities or it may not.

But, in most cases, the Mineral rights are owned by a third party. Don't buy the land unless you can re-attach and control the mineral rights (you may have to purchase these, as most holders won't let them go cheap). Without these, you only will own the top 6' of soil. And the mineral rights owner can near do anything they like to your home and property in exercising their right--making it impossible for you to remain living on the property. Don?t let local attorneys tell you differently (they often will, either to help increase the perceived value of property in their area--and by association their own investments, or simply because they've never been exposed to a legal case resulting there from) ---the laws that allow them to do this have been around since the late 19th century and are Federal laws. Local authorities have no ability to alter or amend them (except in cases where the property boundries are within a municaplity/city/township or other incorparation where legal instruments have been used to define the limitations---if you live in a city, chances are that the city government has dealt with the legal issues at hand for the enire land area and a third party rights holder either was bought out or is legally put in check---one good thing that actually comes from eminent domain????). They and especially members of the real estate industry WILL TRY to talk this notion down--usually, saying it NEVER HAPPENS. Don't be like 90% of rural land buyers and fall for that. Mineral Rights controlled by a third party is a LIABILITY. Never buy land/property with existing liabilities.

That being said, you will find more rural properties in the Western US that do not fit this simple requirement than those that do. If you are not legal-savvy, pay the fee and retain a real estate lawyer ---NOT a local one. Get one from the nearest large city possible who will take on your title review and purchase agreement AND has experience with rural properties and governments.

This may seem at odds with "getting away from bureaucracy" that most of us seek in rural areas, but local legal advice tends to be filled with nepotism, back scratching and graft. What you want is completely impartial expertise on your side.

Now, if the property you want is part of an incorporation/municipality/City/& etc. There may be overarching legal protections on all property within its boundaries with respect to mineral and water rights. If this is the case, then the above would not apply ---but check first before buying.

Best of luck!

-Andrew

Lonewolf
04-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Hey Idaho Jay,
Ascertaining mineral rights in the area you mention is mandatory.....and might be too expensive for you to purchase. That district is one of the biggest silver mining regeons in the world. The mines are mothballed until the price of silver shoots up. They undercut many houses in their time. Beware.
Marcus Ward

dankonefal
04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Howya doin, Steve? You and Ellsworth were the instructors when I took the course last June. I've found 6 acres near Pittsburgh in a residential area to build my log home and am excited by the prospect of making something out of nothing. I'll own the land free and clear, so the "no mortgage" plan will be in full effect. However, I have to dig a well and could use any input as to how to proceed. Thanks for the forum. Dan

AndrewW
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi all-
I just registered for the class coming up in June - I can't wait! I've been thinking of taking it for a couple years and finally decided to take the leap. I'm in Chicago and am thinking that I'll probably be shooting to build something in Northern Wisconsin a year or two after taking the class - as I understand that's the recommended time to gather necessary tools, investigate log options, etc. I was wondering if there was any advice you felt was important to share with me before taking the class. Anything special I should prep? Should I start thinking about ideas of what I want or is to too early, all that kind of stuff......

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, advice, etc. would be appreciated. Also, I know I'll learn much of this in the class, but any gut reactions to how easy or difficult getting house logs in WI might be? There seems to be some decent deals on land.....

loghousenut
04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi all. My lovely wife and I took the class with Skip as our instructor in 1989. We were married on the porch of a log chalet (really just a log outhouse that turned into a "flushtoiletbathroomwithalargeporchandareallycoolro of") that I built as my first practice log building. I've since built several log buildings for myself and others, including one that was in a Grizzly Adams movie. It's been a long road getting where we are right now and we're ready to finally build OUR home. We own the land and have lived here for 15 years in the ugly trailer that we thought would be gone years ago. I just hope I'm not too old and worn out to finish the job. I'll be needing you guys and gals to push me once in awhile.

PS. Do we still have those monthly meetings that used to happen so we can get a bit of critique and inspiration?...

Thanks... Ron and Patty... Mr. n Mrs. loghousenut

Timber
04-30-2008, 07:44 PM
What I would do is find people in your area who have a well and ask who drilled it? If you can find 2 people who recommend the same driller, go with them.

Ron

reierme
05-08-2008, 07:30 PM
My name is Jeremy Reier and I am in the process of trying to move a log home. The log home was hand made by the original owner who built it by himself with the timber on the property. The mover has informed me that to move this 2500 sq. ft. log home, it will need to be separated where the addition meets the original main house and be moved in 2 pieces. The current owner is looking to build a new home and I am looking to purchase and save this home. The owner really doesn't want to see it torn down and is excited at the idea of it being saved. I need expert advice as to how this separation should be made and what needs to be done to separate it and also what reinforcements need to be in place before the move. The home is located in Redmond WA near Ames Lake and I have until July to get this moved so I am in a huge time crunch. If anyone knows of a good log home specialist in this area, I would greatly appreciate any references you might have. My email address is reierme@hotmail.com

Timberwolf
05-09-2008, 05:08 AM
The Classic Hewn-Log House: A Step-by-Step Guide to Building and Restoring.

This covers a lot of restores/moving of old log homes.

SOP is generally to dismantle and restack on site, but it will depend a lot in the style of home.

Sounds like a fun project, and a worthwhile log home is worth moving.

However...

You might be able to build a new butt and pass for the cost of the project.

However...

Don't let that discourage you.

Good luck with your project.

Jason.

jsturdiv
05-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I am Jan. I live in California, but we bought a small piece of land in Montana and I am dreaming of building a log cabin on it. My DH would just as soon let somebody else build it ( but he does not think I can) I am saving up to take the class! It may take a while, but I will do it! Thanks for having open forums where noobs like me can post and ask questions! Jan

Living in California, dreaming of Montana...

Debby
05-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi Jan, the best advise I can give you is to have your husband read up on the website for himself. My husband was skeptical as well. He read the info and then agreed to take the class as it has a money-back guarantee. By the time the class was finished he was as excited as I was about the whole thing. Keep saving your pennies and make sure you both take the class! Welcome here!
Debby

jsturdiv
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Enjoy the adventure! Jan

Living in California, dreaming of Montana...

Ladybowhunter
05-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi! I live in Tennessee. My boyfriend and I are expecting our first child. As soon as that is settled we want to attend the class. I wish it was closer. We have always wanted to build our own log home and don't want to give up our dreams due to tight finances. We have both wanted to build and design log homes and this will be a dream come true if we can get it accomplished. If anyone around Tennessee has taken the class or wants to email me at Ladyhunter0@excite.com and we can chat about it.

dankonefal
05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Steve,
I'm Dan Konefal, the professional musician who took the class last July. Wonder if you remember me. Anyway, I'm closing on 6 acres in Penn Hills, PA which is near Pittsburgh, next month. I need a well drilled and the electric hooked up but the whole process of getting everything in order is pretty slick. I like the fact that I have the finances to get the land free and clear. For me, debt is a thing of the past. I've been studying the book, the notes I took in class, visualizing how everything is going to be and how I'm going to build. Thanks for all the good info. Dan

dankonefal
05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Ron, I got the same advice today from a well driller who's too far away to drill in my area. He said to ask my neighbors. Thanks for the input. Dan

dankonefal
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Kyle, where in western PA are you? I'd like to see what you're doing. I'm in the process of closing on land in Penn Hills. We might be neighbors. Dan

kyle
05-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi Dan,

I'm in Johnstown. Presently I'm in the final stages of clearing my land between Somerset/Bedford off Rte 30. Get your member login and drop me a post in the members section and I'll give you my email address.

How did you find 6 acres of land in Penn Hills (unless its hillside)???

dankonefal
05-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Kyle, email me at www.dankonefal@mac.com Johnstown's about an hour or so from the burgh. Shouldn't be that big of a deal to take a road trip. Dan

dankonefal
05-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm in Pittsburgh. I don't know where you are going to be in the fall or if I'll be building at that time, but I think I found my ridge pole in the form of a 50 ft. evergreen on my new property. Met my next-door neighbor today. He has some trees he wants cut down on his property and even offered to put the word out that I'm looking for logs, too. How 'bout that? All that from being friendly. You can find me at www.dankonefal@mac.com Dan

loghousenut
05-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi all, We (my wife and I) attended Skips class in April of 1989. We have emailed several times asking for access to the members only section but it hasn't happened yet. Over the years we have built several log structures for ourselves and others and now it is time to build our dream house. We could sure use the help and advice that is available behind the curtain. Can anyone clue me in on what we are doing wrong here.... Thanks... Ron n Patty

Shark
05-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Hi all, We (my wife and I) attended Skips class in April of 1989. We have emailed several times asking for access to the members only section but it hasn't happened yet. Over the years we have built several log structures for ourselves and others and now it is time to build our dream house. We could sure use the help and advice that is available behind the curtain. Can anyone clue me in on what we are doing wrong here.... Thanks... Ron n Patty

Have you seen this page: ?
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/members-forum-access

That 'should' work....hopefully :)

hoganmtnlady
05-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi my name is Kat and I live within the mountains of west central Montana. I moved here in the Fall of 2001, bought a small house, yearned for more freedom to be me and have more serenity. I found it when I bought 20 acres in the mountains here! I have been building a room each year since I bought the land and now have four rooms and a water holding shed. Now I am getting ready to build a 32' 8 sided hogan syle cabin as the roads up to my home are treacherous during the winter months and when it rains as they are mostly clay and very very slippery on the switchbacks. Will live in the cabin during the winter and up top during the summer months. This time while building I am building with logs from burnt trees. A fire hit this area in 2006, missed my home and all but about 5 acres of my property. Kat

loghousenut
05-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Yes Shark, I have applied on that link several times. I am getting no reply. Please, somebody get me headed in the right direction... Thanks.

adamcee
05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
After 911 and working at Ground Zero in NYC, I need a getaway place to recharge and possibly retire in 12 more years. I have 34 acres in the Adirondacks and want to build my very own log cabin. Me and a friend will be taking Skips class in May of 08...Can wait !!!!!!

adamcee
05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
After 911 and working at Ground Zero in NYC, I need a getaway place to recharge and possibly retire in 12 more years. I have 34 acres in the Adirondacks and want to build my very own log cabin. Me and a friend will be taking Skips class in May of 08...Can't wait !!!!!!

Bigcheese
05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Well I did it after reading all the posts in the forums I have been convinced to take the class.
I have just signed up for the June 7th class .
I am more than a little nervous about this whole adventure but I love adventure's
About 10 years ago I stickbuilt my home I did hire a coworker that had some building experience
and enjoyed virtually everyminute (with the exception of the roofing)
Are there anyone else out there that are planning to take the class?
Don

Canucks
05-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi

We took the class in 2006 and are putting up our first logs on Thursday (May 29th). Exciting times!!! We are building in Point Roberts, Washinton. A 20 X 20 with a loft desgned by Glen.

Canucks

Mike_chew
06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Hello all!

This is Mike & Cindy, from Rockford Illinois, introducing ourselves. We have been reading forum entries, articles and checking out member's log homes for about 4 months now. We absolutely love this website, it's content, and all you folks that share information (which, by the way, is excellent and entertaining info)! We are also awe stricken by the member's log homes. They are truly wondrous works and REAL log homes! A year ago we purchased property in Colorado to build a log home on. We also ordered a log home kit to erect ourselves; however, since we found LHBA and read all your info. we cancelled our log home kit order and we signed up for Skip's class this weekend in Monroe! (June 7 & 8). We are so excited!! We can't wait till this weekend. We still have a house we're trying to sell. It's been on the market now for 14 month, (bummer), but, We look forward to designing, planning, and gathering materials for our log home over the next year or two. Thank you all very much for all the great info. on the website! We look forward to meeting some of you at the class!

Thanks
Mike & Cindy

Timber
06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
You saved yourself a lot of cash and who knows what else. You will enjoy the class and learn much. Welcome and here is to your house being sold prayer for you--God help!!

Ron

Yuhjn
06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm really excited for you guys. Welcome. Glad you found the group.

You'll learn more in those 2 days than you can imagine. And after that the members will help with any and all details.

whynotnow
06-03-2008, 04:26 AM
Hi
I just singed up on 6/3/08 , been reading stuff on here for a couple weeks . then lightning struck, I could get into the "everyone welcome fourms. " Sometimes the old brain doesn't fire on all cylinders LOL . I am going to the june 7&8 class this weekend . Couldn't sleep the night I singed up. I like the straight forward talk thtat I have found in here. Thanks for all the Info I have gotten so far and all that will come this weekend . Look forward to a wonderful experiance with you all .
bob

tsheidler
06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I am in a position where building a log home economically is my only hope of a decent retirement for my family. Will attend the next available class. Have land in the upper part of lower Michigan so am excited about starting my project. Are there other members in Mi who have built their Log Home that I could talk with?

Thanks

Kenneth Griepp
06-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Steve, how are you doing, this is Ken G. i was in the class in Jan. - i am confused on some of the figures on the 35 foot log cabin. it says the rafter lenghts are are 23'9" and for the 40' home they are 24'3"(i don't have plans here, they are in my office so i'm doing this from memory)0. it doesn't sound right for the 35 foot. Please let me know what the length of the rafters for the 35 should be exactly. I have access to a friend's saw mill that cuts 20 foot logs and realize it won't be enough if the rafters have to be 23'9". thanks in advance, ken, steve and daniel

SniperRed1
06-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm Bob from Arkansas, but have been living in and around Houston, TX. for over 20 years now.

I bought 10 acres nearly 3 years ago after attending the class and just two weeks ago did a little clearing on it. The land is located in Missouri. A good friend of mind and I cut and cleared about 20 trees in an area for the 30 by 30 foot plan that I purchased when I attended the class in April of 2005. I have such a long ways to go, but at least I have begun and have nearly collected all of the tools and equipment that I will need the past 3 years. I am just lacking a few things now. It has been a wonderful adventure...I look forward to sharing more later.

I would also like to thank everyone that has shared...Sometimes I spend hours just reading everyones comments in the forums. I enjoy the humor, teaching/training and the heart felt truth that you share in your stories. Again, Thanks everyone!!!

Bob

Kola
06-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Hello all!

This is Mike & Cindy, from Rockford Illinois, introducing ourselves. We have been reading forum entries, articles and checking out member's log homes for about 4 months now. We absolutely love this website, it's content, and all you folks that share information (which, by the way, is excellent and entertaining info)! We are also awe stricken by the member's log homes. They are truly wondrous works and REAL log homes! A year ago we purchased property in Colorado to build a log home on. We also ordered a log home kit to erect ourselves; however, since we found LHBA and read all your info. we cancelled our log home kit order and we signed up for Skip's class this weekend in Monroe! (June 7 & 8). We are so excited!! We can't wait till this weekend. We still have a house we're trying to sell. It's been on the market now for 14 month, (bummer), but, We look forward to designing, planning, and gathering materials for our log home over the next year or two. Thank you all very much for all the great info. on the website! We look forward to meeting some of you at the class!

Thanks
Mike & Cindy
=============================================

Hi Mike and Cindy, sorry I missed your thread but I caught it today!

Welcome aboard! I have land just outside Cripple Creek, where you guys at? I am so glad you ditched your plans for a kit. I did the same once I found this site years ago. I hope your house selld quickly. I am going through the same grueling selling process as you two and have really chopped my asking price down just to get nibbles.

Well, it looks as though you guys will soon be LHBA members so I would like to give you a great big LHBA hug!

Welcome home Mike and Cindy!

As Jim Morrison and The Doors sang, " BREAK ON THRU TO THE OTHER SIDE"

We here at LHBA are the "other side"..err maybe better spoken as The Far Side (kinda like the cartoonist)

peace, sixties, love beads and flower power,
Kola

Klapton
06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Steve, how are you doing, this is Ken G. i was in the class in Jan. - i am confused on some of the figures on the 35 foot log cabin. it says the rafter lenghts are are 23'9" and for the 40' home they are 24'3"(i don't have plans here, they are in my office so i'm doing this from memory)0. it doesn't sound right for the 35 foot. Please let me know what the length of the rafters for the 35 should be exactly. I have access to a friend's saw mill that cuts 20 foot logs and realize it won't be enough if the rafters have to be 23'9". thanks in advance, ken, steve and daniel
Hey Ken,

I don't have the answer to your question handy right now. But your post is buried here in the "Introduce Yourself" thread in the non-member forums. You aren't likely to get the answer you need here - the right folks probably just won't find your post here. You should post your question in the Member section.

Klapton
06-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I live in Baton Rouge and just found this site today. I love the work that has been done by Larry Pearson up at Yellowstone Club. I know you have to be a multi millionaire to enjoy that [I am not] I still think with my design and architecture knowledge, I can create that at a fraction of the cost. ???

Any one interested in helping me find my path would be extremely appreciated. I know that I don't know so that is half the battle won. You don't have to live in the south to mail me and help a brother get to his dream.

I am disappointed that there are no more classes and of course this weekend is the only one for this year and I just found the site!!!
Such is the luck of living in Louisiana. First Katrina [which my family has still not revcovered from] and now I missed the CLASS!

AIGGH. Look forward to anyone that wants to talk about their dream home.

God Bless,

Michael

geauxdevelopment@gmail.com

Dreaming of Montana, Asheville, Anywhere there are blue shadows on old mountains
Don't give up hope about the possibility of them having another class this year. They put the same message back up after each class fills up that includes that bit about "no more classes this year". What that really means is that they don't have any PLANNED right now, and this way they avoid promising something and not delivering. But you should know that same message has been up each time, but they have had at least five or six classes this year already.

Be sure to sign up for email notification.

mhuye
06-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I will have to sign up for the newsletter.

I can't get out of Louisiana fast enough.

God Bless,

Michael

Dreaming of Montana, Asheville, Anywhere there are blue shadows on old mountains

ChainsawGrandpa
06-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey, drop by if you have time this summer. I'm much closer to the Canadian border than to the Gulf.
The winters are much colder, but the land is reasonably priced, and for the most part (see Toilet Henge
under POA) people leave you alone up here. It's just wonderful and I just hate to go back home to my
job. I love our new place.

-Rick

mrsbanjoe
06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi, I am Melanie from Kalamazoo, MI. My husband &quot;Banjoe&quot; (Joe) and I really love hand hewn log cabins like you find in the Appalachian mountains...but I am intrigued by what I read about how long the style taught by the LHBA lasts. I can tell we have so much more to learn!

sekoutdoors
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Wife and I have a plan we like, and I am doing as much research as I can so we can have it well thought out in advance and make use of everything we can to see that we have some sort of alternate power if possible. We are in MT right now, and plan to be here a while, so I pulled out the plan we have had going on three years and started looking into what it would take to get it done.

Allen Holbrook
06-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Hello to all,

I am finally building my log home. I attended the class just over two years ago and am excited to get going. I found logs about 75 miles north of my location and they started being delivered on 5/29, 176 logs total. I have about 100 peeled and 32 in place so far. I hope to have the walls, ridge poles and rafters done by the end of June. I look forward to sharing the progress.

Klapton
06-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi, I am Melanie from Kalamazoo, MI. My husband &quot;Banjoe&quot; (Joe) and I really love hand hewn log cabins like you find in the Appalachian mountains...but I am intrigued by what I read about how long the style taught by the LHBA lasts. I can tell we have so much more to learn!

I suspect that one of the reasons we see many hand-hewn cabins still standing is the quality of the wood they used. The original old-growth timber that Europeans found here in America was MUCH denser, higher quality wood than what is commonly available today. That's why in spite of the inherent weakness of the designs (cutting into the grain, not having sufficient overhangs on the roof, first course of logs too close to the ground) they are still standing. Another thing to consider is that if one takes a closer look, or attempts to restore these old classics, they usually do find significant rot, especially in the bottom courses. It's a testament to the building method that this rot doesn't cause the house to fall down! But hand-hewn is an inferior design vs. the butt and pass method as taught by LHBA, if judging purely by longevity of the structure without maintenance.

The biggest advantage, however, to LHBA butt and pass method is it's SIMPLICITY. It's just plain easier to learn and do than more complex scribed or notched methods. Properly constructed scandinavian chinkless or hand-hewn dovetail cabins will indeed last for centuries. For me, joe-schmoe-suburban computer nerd who wants to simplify my life by building a log cabin in the country -- LHBA is the most attainable goal for me. After taking the course, I am sure that I CAN do this, and do it right, in spite of my lack of previous experience. I can't say that about other methods.

Klapton
06-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Hello to all,

I am finally building my log home. I attended the class just over two years ago and am excited to get going. I found logs about 75 miles north of my location and they started being delivered on 5/29, 176 logs total. I have about 100 peeled and 32 in place so far. I hope to have the walls, ridge poles and rafters done by the end of June. I look forward to sharing the progress.
Congratulations on your progress! You should post some progress in the member sections, and let us know where you are. You might get some help from some of us newbies who can't wait to get started.

GENE13
06-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Way to go Allen, are you building in Louisville? I'm about 3 hours south of you in Barbourville, Ky.
What type of logs are you using? 176 is quite a bit, how big is your home going to be?
Anyway, GREAT JOB !!!!

Gene....... :-)

Yuhjn
06-11-2008, 10:23 AM
[quote=mrsbanjoe]Properly constructed scandinavian chinkless or hand-hewn dovetail cabins will indeed last for centuries. For me, joe-schmoe-suburban computer nerd who wants to simplify my life by building a log cabin in the country -- LHBA is the most attainable goal for me.

Not to disagree, because I do agree with both of those statements (full-scribe can last for centuries and computer nerds learn BnP faster).

But it almost sounds like you're saying "well when done right full scribe (scandanavian chinkless) will last longer than BnP, all other things being equal". And I disagree with that statment.

There is no way that cutting into the grain of your logs is going to work better than the BnP style. You have by definition reduced the structural integrity of the logs and you have opened them up to water damage. If you do a perfect job on your full scribe and chink really well you might avoid that stuff, but you get the same thing with BnP except you dont have to worry as much.

There is no doubt in my mind that BnP is a superior building technique to full scribe (chinkless).

Klapton
06-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree, Yuhjn. BnP should indeed last longer. Either method, done correctly, will be around long after both of us are dead.

ragdump
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Ragdump Hi my name is Howard I have land up in the Feather river country of Northern California,I've been clearing and cutting logs for awhile now got about 40 good size logs most 45 to 60 feet,plan on building a 30X40 cabin and a 30X50 work shop all out of logs. I've got a ways to go yet I found cutting and peeling your own logs is very hard work and I just have the weekends to do it for now

Yuhjn
06-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Welcome Ragdump! Sounds like you've got a good start. It's not uncommon for LHBA members to travel to help each other out, often for free. :)

My only advice to you would be to take the class as soon as possible! It's very likely you'll learn things that will change the course of your build for the better.

In fact knowing what I know now after taking the class I cringe to think what would have happened had I built before taking the class. :)

tanderson
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Wow! Someone planning to build in the same general area! I'm a big, big fan of Buck's Lake in Plumas County and I'm hoping to build between Quincy and Buck's, maybe Meadow Valley? The whole Feather River Canyon is beautiful. I haven't had the chance to take the class yet either. I also want to do a large workshop. I'm hoping to take the class by the end of the year, if things work out in other areas.

ChainsawGrandpa
06-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Here's a photo of the model of my shop.
The model is now at the LHBA headquarters
in Monroe. Planned to build this but hit water
at about 6' into the ground. Had to move the
shop and change the design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qox2x5exMuo
Fast forward to 3:54

-Rick

ragdump
06-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Ragdump Tanderson, if you know where Ragdump is I'm just across the canyon,I've had my place for awhile now and have done alot of improvements and like I said collecting logs,I want to take the class before I start to build ,this is my meadow where I'm going to build
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/ragdump046.jpghttp://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/ragdump055.jpg

Allen Holbrook
06-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I will post my progress in a couple of weeks in the members forum. I hope to have all the walls, RPSL's, and the two ridge poles up.

Allen Holbrook
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I am building just outside of Louisville in Brooks. My home is 32 x 60. I am building two 25 x 32 boxes with a 10 foot space between them for my foyer. The roofline will span the entire length, 70'. I am suprised at how much interest the project is generating. Word of mouth is bringing quite a few people by to see the building process.

OriginalScrimmer
06-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Well, good day to all, I've been lurking here for quite a few years, before there was a forum to be exact. Well, finally had the freedom of time to attend the course, May 24-25. What a great experience, now all I can do is dream of building, I can hardly contain myself!!!

Oh, for the record, the name is Shawn Scrimshaw, most just call me Scrimmer for short, but since I wasn't able to use that username took the next best one!!!

timwheat
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
First of all, hello to everyone. My name is Tim Wheat and I own about 80 acres in central IL and have dreamed of building a log house on it for many years. I finally start doing the research on it and find that I've missed all of the classes in which I could have learned so much! So, I'm gonna stick around here and hope that they schedule another class one of these days and try to soak up anything else I can in between. If anyone is anywhere near me and can give any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Sherm
06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi My name is Joe and I am in the Army in Iraq with 5 months left then gonna retire. When I get back I want to attend a class and build my log home on Lake McConaughy in Nebraska. The site is awesome almost sounds to good to be true, definately excited about the possibility.

AnneG
06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Welcome, Joe! And thank you for your service to our nation! We will keep you and all our troops in our prayers for a safe return to the good, ole U S of A! I am new to this site, and am hoping to attend a class in spring or summer of 2009--saving the bucks for the class and trip first. No more credit cards! And you are right, this is a super awesome site! Keep us informed of your safe return, and hang onto your goals and dreams!

AnneG

AnneG
06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Tim Wheat! Welcome to LHBA! If you want to get in on the next class, be sure to sign the email notification form, so they will contact you when the next one is scheduled. As soon as I have enough saved to register for a class, I'm going to send my funds whether one is scheduled or not. I'm hoping that will give me first dibs on being notified. In the meantime, there is LOADS of info to glean right here from the different forums and comments. So . . . Welcome! Glad you've joined us!

AnneG

OriginalScrimmer
06-18-2008, 03:09 AM
Welcome Joe, Tim and Anne, I signed up for the e-mail alerts, it was a God send!!! Worked like a charm!!!

Definiteley wait to take the course before building, you learn alot of valuable info, it helps. Good luck, and Joe, come home safe and sound!!!

AnneG
06-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks OriginalScrimmer! And welcome to you as well. I was going to put off taking the class for several years, as it will probably take me that long before I actually get started. But then I saw that they recommend that you take the course 2 to 3 years BEFORE you are ready to build, so I am thrilled to be planning on attending in 2009! That should really help to keep me focused and to learn as much as I can BEFORE I'm actually at the building stage.

AnneG

tgb3
06-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Well here goes,
My name is Tom and I have been reading the forums here for about 6 months. I hope to be going to the class one of these days but it is difficult to get it worked into my schedual. I am a registered nurse but have a great deal of experience within the building trades. I have just about got the wife talked into the log home thing but she has been dealing with all my "wako plans" for 15 years already and it may be a hard sell. We are already working on the debt reduction side and have a 3 year plan all worked out, but we all know how those work out :-).

Seems to be a great bunch of people on here, I look farward to getting to know everyone a little better.
Tom

OriginalScrimmer
06-19-2008, 04:53 AM
Welcome Tom, one recommendation, since your wife has "put up" with your ideas for 15 years, get her to the class too, if possible. I tried to get my wife to go, but unfortunately, with a 10 month old baby at home, another on the way (December) and her Passport having expired, things didn't work out, but she's on board for our log home...it's almost frustrating 'cause you really want to rush in and start building - the excitement is that strong!!!! But, as you'll learn in the class, it's best to wait until the time is perfect!!!

Good luck!!

wildernessgirl
06-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Hi gang! I am planning to move to Napa next year and build a log home! My hubby and I are going there in 5 weeks to check it out! I live in Florida and can not tolerate the high heat and humidity . Don't want to go where it gets too cold so We figured Napa would be the place! Wildernessgirl AKA Lisa

cntrydan
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi folks. New to the forums and have a question. There are construction methods available which offer wall R values as high as 25 or 30. And they have the mass which seems to be important to a lot of folks. At best, I can see a log home wall coming in at 8-10 for an R-value, unless you have access to 24" logs, which I don't. With the escalating cost of energy we will likely experience in the next 10-20 years, does anyone have any commentary to make me feel better about the log home I want to build???

Timberwolf
06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Real logs (not the twigs and posts of some kit homes) have fantastic thermal mass. Skip's home (the LHBA original instructor) is approx 7000 sq ft. and is heated with a single direct vent propane heater installed in one corner (uses less than $1000 of propane per year, though it may be much less than that). The only disadvantage might be that it takes a bit of time to heat things up the first time it gets cold, but once it does, the flywheel effect takes over. Over insulating the roof (and floor if applicable) will do the most to keep the place warm. That and insuring the house is made airtight through proper sealing of the exterior and around good quality windows (but still allowing the house to breath). Testing has been done (look for for info on the article pages) regarding stick frame vs log homes and log beats out stick framing by a considerable margin. Probably the only house built that could consistantly beat a properly built log home is a strawble or ICF home. I am aware of some houses being built to very high standard using other forms of construction but these are really big $$$ and usually have complicated HVR systems in them.

Klapton
06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi folks. New to the forums and have a question. There are construction methods available which offer wall R values as high as 25 or 30. And they have the mass which seems to be important to a lot of folks. At best, I can see a log home wall coming in at 8-10 for an R-value, unless you have access to 24" logs, which I don't. With the escalating cost of energy we will likely experience in the next 10-20 years, does anyone have any commentary to make me feel better about the log home I want to build???

"An American study has shown that logs have a thermal performance value of R-22 for a building with 10" diameter logs with no insulation added."
http://www.100-mile-house-log-homes.com/the_logs.html

"Just buy the biggest fattest logs that you can afford. For most softwoods, expect about 1.25 R per inch of thickness. and then use a very high R-Values and low air leakage in the roof system."
http://www.biglog.com/HTML/LogEnergy.html

At 1.25 per inch, 12" logs (what most people build with) = R15

I'm planning to do radiant floor heat, and I hope to fit into my budget some evacuated tube solar hot water heaters. When it comes to return on investment, preheating water gives the fastest payback of any currently available green home tech. I'm also hoping that I'll have some good southern exposure on whatever property I buy, and will face my great room windows that direction, and have a slate or tile floor to absorb more passive solar energy.

ladywestwind
06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Hello everyone-Finally registered and can't stop laughing at some of the posts. Melting and waiting for another class to be offered. Still replastering from the re-wire on the old house six weeks ago. Please continue to make me smile.

drkekurtz
06-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Do you know of anyone who has built a log home, using Skip's methods, in Northeastern Ohio?

I took the course more than 20 years ago, and since then, while raising 6 children, I have eagerly awaited the opportunity to build a log home. My youngest son is now 12 - a great age to take on this adventure.

kitt

Buck
06-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey was wondering where you are in the building process? We are pouring our basement floor next week and and are hoping to start logs in the next month. Our property is in Northport too, near the border.

gunner2pilot
06-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello, Buck. I'm in Northport, too (Aladdin Road). I'm out of town for a few weeks, but if you email me, I'd love to see what you're doing in my neck of the woods; akguy_1@hotmail.com

I'm at 3310 Aladdin Rd (you can see some of the stacked logs from the road not far from the trailer).
Good Luck and all the best,
Ken

Debby
06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Welcome over to http://buildingblocks08.blogspot.com, and take a look at some *pictures* of Debby's work.

I'm Dave, Debby's husband. I just quit my job to build this house over the summer, so you'll hear more from me.

Enjoy!

michael beck wilkins
07-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I live in Scotland Argyll and the forestry is cropping huge tracts of logs sitka, spruce and other plantation wood looking around at the amount of logs in piles we often wonder about a log cabin and would it be feasable anyone have thoughts on this??

mick

Klapton
07-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Sitka Spruce are great houselogs. Nice and straight with minimal taper is what you are after. For good energy efficiency, the larger the diameter the better. But folks build with as small as 10 inch top ends and do just fine.

Basqueko
07-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Was thrilled to find your site. I am retired (2 yrs) and have always planned to build a log cabin on one of the three adjoining lots in Cascade, Idaho that I purchased in 1976. I have been checking and talking to pre-cut loggers, builders, friends with cabins, drillers, concrete people and local gov. persons. I would like very much to use your building strategy and am anxious to begin. My concern is the availability of class time. I understand that these opportunities are not readily available and there could be some wait time before acceptance. My question(s) thus: What can I do ahead of class time to determine the quality, quantity, size, and condition of log necessary? Once secured should they be harvested or left standing until needed? If harvested what is necessary for preparation? Is it possible/plausable to register for your class now in order to receive this information prior to taking your class or is it necessary to take the class first then secure logs etc. Again I am anxious to start building as soon as possible and would sincerely appreciate your insight. Thanks!!!

JD
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
The LHBA recommends that you take the class before acquiring logs. One reason for this is that the class will teach you what to look for, methods of obtaining logs at low cost (sometimes free), etc. You will also learn tips for designing your home to best suit your needs, which will directly impact the type and size of logs that you will need, based on your situation.
I know your anxious to begin but I would sign up for email notification of the next class convening. Attending the class first will help you collect materials and tools more efficiently and may even save you from making some costly errors.
Again, welcome aboard.
JD

Yuhjn
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Hello Basqueko and welcome! Glad to hear you're excited and ready to begin!

I'm going to let JD speak now, since he did a better job of it than I.

Frontier.Woodsman
07-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Hello All;

My name is Tim and I recently attended the LHBA two day class this past May 24-25. I learned a LOT and am very glad I took the time and money to make it happen.
Since I am stationed with the Army in North Carolina, I had to fly across the country for the class, camp out at Flowing Lake for four rainy nights, and deal with the ridiculous business practices of a certain car rental agency in SeaTac, but it was all worth it. I highly recommend going to this class if you haven't yet.
I am about midway through an Army career, and find it difficult to build right now, given how often we move from place to place. I am in the process of building my model though, and having a great time with it. I will post photos as they become available.
My family and I have been stationed in Washington and Colorado prior to North Carolina, and we absolutely miss the mountains and the DRY air! We agree that NC is certainly a less desirable place for us to live. We are hoping to retire out West when that day comes.
In the mean time, collecting materials and tools, looking for land, and saving money. We WILL see this through!

Best Regards,

Tim

rhbourne
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Good people -

I'm Rob, a long-time lurker and new member as of today. I'm extremely impressed with the quality and creativity of the designs I've seen here, and they've inspired me to start my own log home odyssey. And everyone here seems really nice, which is pretty rare, and cool.

May I ask you all a few irritating questions? Any answers you might have would be so appreciated.

1. Many of you are from the South or the West coast... are there any New Yorkers among you? Or Tri-staters, maybe?

2. I'm all fired up to take a course in the next year, but I'm getting a little nervous about joining up, and then finding that there aren't any classes offered. Am I just being paranoid?

3. What (in your opinion) is the best plan-design software for the Macintosh? I've seen some of the big names, and I'm not too impressed with the quality of the renderings. Is there anything out there that really works?

I'm sorry to bother, and again, I'm so psyched to be a fledgling part of this group. Have a nice day!

- R

kyle
07-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi R and welcome.

Don't know of any one in NYC but there are two members within a short drive. Hemlock in CT (or maybe MA) and Claire in NJ. There are also several from upstate NY and a bunch of us from PA.

adamcee
07-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey Rob, I'm from the Big Apple and can't wait to retire and build my log cabin in the Adirondacks. Me and a buddy just took the class in May of 08 and it was a great experience. Just take your time and go through the LHB web site and it just about answers all your questions. The members are great and friendly and also answer any question you may have.

Adam

whynotnow
07-15-2008, 01:22 AM
I am from syracuse ny area . took the class in june 08 , so I am pretty new also. I am trying to purchase land about 3 1/2 hours outside nyc. I know that htere are at least 3 others in upstate ny . Pretty close to deciding on land , need perc test then decide. will keep you posted and if you want to visit when I am building you will be welcome (no work , unless you want ) . The class is well worth the wait . I was pretty skeptical ( as is my nature LOL), but Steve and Ellisworth do a great job and teach a lot. Again welcome you are in for a great ride :)
bob

daisy
07-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Hi. My name is Sheree. I live in southeast Florida. I grew up in the Poconos and moved down here with my husband over 10 years ago. I can't get the mountains out of my mind and I've always wanted to live in a log home. I dream of moving to a large piece of mountain property, wooded and secluded, but not displaced from the rest of the world. I have 3 very young children and I would actually love to make the move while they are still young. We considered building a log home here in south Florida and visited a few kit manufacturers, but we found it was too expensive an undertaking here in Palm Beach County. I stumbled across this web site and now I am more encouraged than ever to keep my dream alive, and I don't think I would ever consider a kit home again.

I look forward to chatting with everyone and learning as much as I can about the industry.

Sheree

Timberwolf
07-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Glad to see another bitten by the bug.

Timberwolf.

shawnis
07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Klapton wrote:
Donna and I recently joined a gym, and are working to get in shape.

For everyone here who wants to get into shape before they start building their dream house:
I recently stumbled across this website and it made me think of LHBA and how simpler, no nonsense, and cheaper almost always means better.

Basically, this guy started exercising with a sledgehammer in his home. He mimicked actual movements in real life as opposed to doing exercises. It was so successful that he now has a huge following on the Internet. It's not just the exercises, this guy has a really great philosophy. Best of all it's completely free!

You can find it at http://www.shovelglove.com

As a guy that absolutely hates going to the gym, I find this really tempting. Not to mention swinging a sledgehammer is really fun!
The "chopping wood" exercise could be renamed "pounding rebar" in our case.

GoMoBu
07-25-2008, 05:10 AM
G'Day Mates!

My name is K.W. and I just found this website late tonight through surfing the web. I have been very interested in building my own log cabin ever since I was a child and watched my grandfather build one. Since then it seems that everyone in my extended family has built one form or another of a log cabin. At the moment I am a teacher living in Kansas, but that may be changing very soon. I am going to take a road trip in early august and see where the wind blows me. I hope to find a place and settle down with my own land in my own cabin that I have built. I am said to see that no classes will be offered this year. I hope to find out all the information that I can though. That being said, if you have any tips for a begginer who knows how to work with his hands but has a very slim budget please shoot me an email. Thats all for now. May Peace Be With You.

K.W.

Yuhjn
07-25-2008, 07:33 AM
G'Day Mates!
I am [sad] to see that no classes will be offered this year.

Actually all the site says is that no more classes have been SCHEDULED for this year. It's entirely possible, and I'd say in fact likely, that some classes will be scheduled later this year.

I suggest you join the email list to get notification when they are.

spiralsands
07-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Rhbourne, my land is in Fulton County which is west of Albany about an hour. I lurked for a couple of years before I bought my property in Summer '06. I camped up there last summer and then joined this group and took the class in January. At this moment, I can think of at least 5 or 6 individuals or couples in NY that have taken the class, started building or are waiting to get into a class...(Right, Annie?) You'll have plenty of NY comrades to compare notes with.

Frances

jeffbarnes
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Just thought I'd say hello since I just checked out your blog and we are at just about the same stage in the process. We hope to finish the ICF walls this weekend and be able to pour concrete next week. You may have already done that by now - hope it went well. We are down in Southern CA (Big Bear Lake). Impressive your daughter was able to help with peeling. Our daughter is only 1 now so not much help yet. Anyway, here's our blog. http://barnesloghome.blogspot.com/ Cheers!

AnneG
07-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Rob,

Welcome to LHBA! I was a "lurker" also before I finally joined. And you are right, the site has lots of wonderful people more than willing to share their knowledge and expertise in any and all aspects of building your own log home.

I am in Central NY, in the City of Syracuse. I have already signed on for the email notification for the next class. You might want to consider doing that as well. You don't send any money until there's actually a class scheduled. And, I would assume (although I shouldn't ass u me), that if you were notified about a class starting up and the timing wasn't right for you, you could wait to send in your money, and add your name for the next email notification. Anyone know if that's how it works?

Regarding design software for a Mac, I'm afraid I can't help you. However, I just downloaded SketchUp to my computer for free. I'm not sure if it was Mac compatible, but you could check it out.

Welcome aboard Rob! And good luck with all your plans! Maybe I'll see you at the next class!

StressMan79
07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
I can't shoot you an email if you don't provide an addy. Anyway, my advice is the same regardless: find something that others don't want. I found some gorgeous land in a remote part of north central wash. The price -- 32k/20 acres. a great view, water, decent access (could be improved much with a caterpillar) and lots of big trees. It is just too far from Seattle and Spokane to drive the price up. There is a lot of land up this way for as low as 18k/20 ac, with no trees/water, but with great access and a Killer view. I would (in order) 1, take the class or do some hands on training at my place, around next summer. 2, buy some land. If you don't need to be near a metro area, or have tillable acres, then don't. and 3) start doing some research--do you want to live off grid? how might you use solar/wind power? There are those that supplement these with generators or even micro hydro. This site should be a large part of the research, but should in no way be the extent of it. The reason I went into alternative energy is b/c it is the easiest thing to rely on to get cheaper property--you'll never be able to afford 20 AC in Vail, CO, but you could afford some equally beautiful land in idaho. The difference is what someone else is willing to pay. go where they aren't yet interested, and you'll pay much less. Land without utilities is much cheaper.

I am done rambling.

wishfulthinkers
08-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Hello all,
We are Michael & Alice St.Clair. We are land owners with a house but would like to build a log cabin. We also have standing timber. We have not attended a class yet but want too. We have looked at floor plans, kits, etc. We are hoping to be able to do this.
Alice
Senior Wishful Thinker

Timberwolf
08-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm sure that with the LHBA class and membership, coupled with your own dreams, desires and perseverence, you turn that wishfull thinking into fruitfull results.

Again, welcome.

wishfulthinkers
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Hello World,
Michael & Alice St.Clair here. We are land & home owners looking into building a log cabin. We have not taken any classes yet, but are looking forward too! We have looked at floor plans, kits, pricing, etc.. We own or have access to over 150 acres of timber, but it may not be the right type. We look forward to learning.
Alice
Senior Wishful Thinker

Yuhjn
08-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Hello World,
Michael & Alice St.Clair here. We are land & home owners looking into building a log cabin. We have not taken any classes yet, but are looking forward too! We have looked at floor plans, kits, pricing, etc.. We own or have access to over 150 acres of timber, but it may not be the right type. We look forward to learning.
Alice
Senior Wishful Thinker

Welcome Michael & Alice!

The type of timber you have is one of the least important issues. More important is are they reasonbly straight, how tall are they, how big around are they, and how much taper do they have? There are some types of trees that dont make very good house logs, but most work perfectly well. But even those other issues (size, taper, etc) can be worked around once you understand the butt and pass construction methods.

But all this is covered in great detail in the class, which I recommend you take :)

Looking at floorplans and dreaming is great and very much encouraged. Just dont get your heart set on anything until you take the class. The knowledge you gain in class will revolutionize the way you think about log homes and log construction.

Anyway, welcome!

bertelli
08-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Hi all from Florida

Really looking forward to a class date. I'm saving up my vacation days to work around a possible class date. Does anyone know the possibility of a class before the end of this year as I have to use my vacation days or lose them by year end?

Would love to build log cabins and sell them every 2 years till I could save and build my own dream place. I agree debt free is the way to go especially in these times.

Looking forward to meet people at the next class.

Steve

miltonjoy
08-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I am finally on board with my husband about moving out the country, now I have him on board to this web site, it's addictive, we are eagerly awaiting the next class, worried that I won't get in a class b/c of the popularity of it though. We have a site in rural Alabama. Hey, what can I say, the land is cheap. Anyone from Alabama out there? Trying to prep our home to sell so we can get out of this mortgage.

Firedog83
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey all!

Finally decided to join after a couple of weeks of going through just about everything on this site haha. Currently I'm overseas doing contract work with KBR, but I'm planning to head back to Washington state when I've reached my financial goal. After finding this site (which I'm so glad I did), I've decided to build a log cabin of my own instead of those overpriced stick homes (and log cabin kits) hopefully in a couple of years. I'm so excited about the idea of building my own home! I'm hoping that the class will eventually be available again; just reading about it kept me up all night haha. Thanks for dedicating a site like this for everyone interested in building their own home.

tburney
08-05-2008, 05:53 PM
hey steve, how are you.

smokey
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Steve,
I am new to the forum and was wanting to know how to post pictures of my logs on the site so I can get more feedback for my issues with my logs.
Thanks!
Smokey

Klapton
08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
A lot of people here use Photobucket. http://photobucket.com/ It's free.

kyle
08-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Hi Steve,
I am new to the forum and was wanting to know how to post pictures of my logs on the site so I can get more feedback for my issues with my logs.
Thanks!
Smokey
Smokey,

Smokey, from reading another post of yours I saw that you already own a log home (I presume a kit home) and are trying to resolve problems created by having short overhangs. Anthony at http://www.bearfortlodge.com is a member who has done extensive renovation on an older log home (not kit) but he may be able to give you a lot of insight on the work he has done.

I also recommend taking the class if you ever have a chance. You might just learn some ideas as to how to prevent these problems in the future saving you more restoration headaches!

LeighG
08-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I've spent the last week or so absorbing the forum for non-members and searching the web for butt and pass pictures and construction examples. I think I linked into LHBA from an article I saw on building a micro-house on a trailer.

I had no Idea that log building would consume my interests and thoughts so quickly. Previously, I've always been interested in Victorian construction (I have already rebuilt my 1890s Victorian in Santa Clara.) Now, I have to build with logs. It's so perfect for what/where I want to be.

I've been looking to buy land near the Trinity river for the last 20 years or so... just never pulled a full-price trigger yet. There's been places that I KNEW I should have bought, but the time (and wifely agreement) just wasn't right. Now, I have a much stronger desire to get... out... of... this... urban... hell.

I signed up for the class notification last week (and got my wife to agree to come to the class before she really knew what I was planning! Heh. Heh.)

Now: Must... wait... for... next... class. (Hope it's soon!)

LeighG

JD
08-17-2008, 05:15 AM
Welcome, LeighG. Sounds like you've been bitten by the log bug, but good. You'll find many like minded folks here. It's good that your wife will be attending with you. You'll both be glad that she did because then she'll understand all your crazy log speak and will be able to better participate in the entire planning/building process. Keep digesting all the stuff in the forums (there are tons of it) and congratulations on starting this great journey. If we can help in any way, just ask. Again, welcome aboard.
JD

smittiesplace
08-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Ive been an avid reader of this site since i stumbled upon it while doing research for building my very own log home. while waiting for the class i have been researching materials on log home building and have found so many different techniques that its truly overwhelming. it makes sense that skips method is the best so thats what my wife and i are going to pursue. We just want to live the best life possible without having to worry about the high cost associated with being a home owner. we are so excited about building our own log home and cant wait to get started. thanks for every bodies hard work to keep this site up and running and cant wait to attend the next class and start building our log home. look forward to talking to you all. Rob

StressMan79
08-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Rob,

Welcome aboard. There is many ways of making a log home. In my opinion, the "best" is full cope scandinavian chinkless. However, this method is very labor intensive and difficult. I can't do it, and this method will definitely do what I want to have.

Anyway, welcome aboard. I'm glad you and your wife are planning to make this endeavor. Enjoy the ride.

-Peter

shawnis
08-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Sorry to have to school in front of the "new kids" Peter but Scandinavian chinkless is definitely not the best method. :-P

Butt and pass is definitely the best. I like sittin' inside, looking at my corners, and seeing the logs line up. Chinkless makes the logs all staggered-looking. I hate that.

Chinkless? Puh-lease, I LIKE the look of chinking. Rock hard mortar beats the modern stuff any day of the week. The less labor the better. I want to work as little as possible on my logs. Knowing that my logs have been cut along its length would just irk me to no end.

So sorry. You are clearly wrong. ;-)

StressMan79
08-18-2008, 06:26 AM
I happen to like the corners of a "saddle notch" style. And I would (my wife, mainly) like to see little chinking inside, hard or otherwise. However, these concerns are truly secondary.

I have a friend that says "there are no right ways, only varying degrees of wrong." I was just trying to point out that even some members don't consider B&P the "best" (Skip even made a few SC structures).

It depends on what you like. I do like B&P, don't get me wrong. I just happen to like SC incrementally better. I however will never build SC. B&P is just so much easier.

-Peter

rckclmbr428
08-18-2008, 06:29 AM
"Butt and pass is definitely the best. I like sittin' inside, looking at my corners, and seeing the logs line up. Chinkless makes the logs all staggered-looking. I hate that."

Sounds like CDO to me, its like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, like they should be.....

Yuhjn
08-18-2008, 07:48 AM
People might like the look of scandanavian chinkless better but it's not the best method.

You have to cut grooves down the entire length of the log. We talk a lot about how bad it is to cut into logs because it exposes the growth rings and that's the first and easiest way for water to get in. And water is the enemy of your log home.

SC method cuts into the logs more than any other method of construction. I would say for that reason it's probably the WORST way to build a log home. You'd be better off just notching the corners and leaving the logs whole down their length.

The ONLY thing SC does is reduce your chinking, but you still have to chink and now you've got capilary action working against you.

Butt and Pass is the best method because it does the least damage to the logs, which protects them from water. Also a BnP has the advantage of no capilary action because the only way two logs touch is in a point or in a line, NEVER in a plane. SC has plane connection between logs everywhere.

dfrost
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi, really like the forum. I would like to build a log home on a piece of property I have in North Fork, Ca. I am grateful for all the great discussion here.
My real name is Laurie and hope this is something a woman can do. I am a teacher, worked in animation and teach it now. Just want to build myself
a little pad in time for retirement. I'm going to really enjoy reading the wonderful things here and seeing the great examples.

Laurie

Klapton
08-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Yes, a woman in resonably good health can do this. Here's a gallery of Pam's log home: (Scroll down to see her with her pink chainsaw!)

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/image-galleries/student-log-homes/pams-log-home

spiralsands
08-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Yes, a woman in resonably good health can do this.

Well, let's qualify this statement. I'm a woman and I've carefully studied the stories of the rest of the 'woman built' homes because I want to build a house too. But what I see is that most of the women who are building are not really building by themselves. There are husbands, ex-husbands, adult sons and even boyfriends heavily involved. I know there is one home in the photo gallery that was built by two women together but I don't know how much they subcontracted out various tasks if they did at all. Dorothy Ainesworth also is credited with buiding both her log homes but she was enabled by her strapping boyfriend and adult son.

Sure a woman can build this type of a house by herself. But I can't site any one particular woman who has done it alone without significant support. But most of the men building also have significant support from others. Honestly, I don't expect to do it alone. I'm not going to pour my own foundation. I hope to harvest enough logs out of my 11 acres of forest but I don't intend to fell them myself. It's not that I can't cut a tree. I cut plenty of trees to clear deadwood but it was suggested to me that I should hire an experience logger to cut the trees for my house. So if anybody, man or woman, wants to build a house like this, he or she has to know what they are willing or able to do. Some things I really do not want to do...like straddle that ridge pole out in space. (I think of Vern Street whenever I imagine doing that!)

So as I plan for my future house, I'm building a base of support. My sister's boyfriend has a construction and landscape business and has offered to pour a foundation for me. I've already met someone in Oppenheim, where my land is, who is my connection to heavy equipment. So, to qualify the "reasonable health" requirement, a woman can do this just like the men do...with a network of support and a subcontractor here and there!

Frances

Kola
08-19-2008, 06:42 AM
IMO There is nothing more appealing than a good honest woman who can swing a hammer and get her hands dirty!

Laurie, you may want to look at the loghome built by a single mom/waitress named Mrs. Ainsworth. It wasn't our B&P method but she built a great home. (and she endured the agony of building it twice as her first one burned to the ground). You can find her articles on the Mother Earth News website. There are quite a few female LHBA members here and there are many wives who haved helped their husbands with the construction process. OTOH even if the women decide not to help in the physical part of building they can help out with moral support, the organizational process (permits, hiring subs, shopping for deals, getting supplies) cook up vittles and give massages. :)

Skips method is the easiest way to build a loghome (and IMO the BEST way) and anyone with some courage and determination can do it.

Kola

gypsykat
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
The LHBA is the most "CAN DO" group of people I know, Laurie, for women or men. If you are looking for support for your dreams, this is the place. Check out the examples and progress pictures of members who have or are currently building, read the forum posts, and get an idea of the building method. Also, see if there are any LHBA member-built homes in your area so you can see the real thing.

I took the LHBA class this past January (hello spiralsands, fellow classmate) and it was a liberating experience that taught me about human empowerment (and of course, building method). And I was coming from an architecture background. There is a change of thinking that comes about - learning to not limit oneself, finding a determination to make your log home happen, and looking at one's future in a more authentic way.

As another LHBA single woman, I know that my log home will happen and not falter in that belief. I'll prepare diligently, work hard, change preconceived ideas and priorities when necessary, and then go for it, expecting "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear" and that the resources will be there if I have done my part. That is the faith part. Then there is the learning part and the thinking-about/designing part and the building part. I know I will seek help in all these areas when needed. It is working so far, step by step.

The other LHBA women here are especially my inspirations. But the wonderful men are as well. It's all about the "Can Do" thought. Being a woman means you bring a different set of talents to the process; perhaps sheer determination like Dorothy Ainsworth, or the ability to envision a more efficient building step, or even the land you already have. ;)

Kola
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
It is good to see you chime in for your very first post Gypsykat!
:)
Kola

gypsykat
08-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks for your kind welcome Kola. It's great being a part of this community.

Michael.Fowler
08-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi,
My name is Mike I am in the Navy and about to wrap up 12 years of service, mostly deployed. My wife and I want to go country and buy some property and build a home. We have a big family already and want more kids. So we have been researching Log home building. Thanks and God Bless..

JeffandSara
08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Yes, a woman in resonably good health can do this.

Well, let's qualify this statement. I'm a woman and I've carefully studied the stories of the rest of the 'woman built' homes because I want to build a house too. But what I see is that most of the women who are building are not really building by themselves. ... So, to qualify the "reasonable health" requirement, a woman can do this just like the men do...with a network of support and a subcontractor here and there!

Frances

Hi, Frances---

I thought that your comments here were quite realistic and wise, especially considering I think you're still in the planning stages (? I'll have to surf over to your site later).

Having designed and built our own Skip-style butt and pass home, my husband and I have both an even firmer belief in the merits of Skip's methods and a greater respect for the challenges and dangers of this or any other construction style (but especially one that involves heavy timber/logs).

We highly recommend both the class and the building methods, but it's important to remember that being successful in this sort of endeavor requires a hefty dose of commitment, ingenuity, patience, endurance, common sense and both physical and constitutional strength. Having at least two people working closely and compatibly together throughout also is a HUGE advantage, in our opinion.

Best to everyone. Sara

PS... Frances, visited your photobucket. What beautiful land! Good luck to you! : )

Arwen
08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I am very encouraged by these posts! I took the class in January of this year. Right now, I'm looking for a piece of land in the Denver area. I'm hoping to find my piece of Colorado by the end of the year. I would be curious to hear from the folks who have finished their homes what the cost per square foot comes out to. Everyone I've spoken with says that log home construction is THE most expensive type of construction, but I think it's because they haven't taken Skip's course. Any feedback would really help me rough out a budget.

I'd also love to hear from anyone who's built/building in Colorado or Texas. I currently live in the Houston area and it's been challenging to get the lay of the land from out-of-state.

Cheers,
Arwen

Yuhjn
08-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Everyone I've spoken with says that log home construction is THE most expensive type of construction, but I think it's because they haven't taken Skip's course.

If you pay someone to build your house for you, log construction is indeed the most expensive. That's because it's very labor intensive. And while a Skip style home is the best way to build a log home, one huge reason it can be so inexpensive is not because you are building with logs, it's because you are doing it yourself.

Dont get me wrong, the logs themselves are going to be cheaper than all the siding, framing, insulation, drywall, mud, and paint you would be looking at if your "did it yourself" on a stick frame house. So that is indeed a good way to save money, but the biggest savings is doing it youself.

As far as a budget; I dont think anyone can be specific about that unless you gave us a ton of details. There are so many variables that can affect it in huge ways, like how deep does your well need to be? And how much do your permits cost in your county? And how big is your house? And is your house on the grid? And how much are you doing yourself? And do you have house-log quality trees on the property?

Personally my current "starter house" itemized budget is about $130,000, not including land, and I know I'm missing stuff. Many people do theirs much cheaper, and other spend much more. But every situation is unique so it's hard to guess what you might pay.

Creating an itemized budget, as well as building a scale model, are important parts of the planning stage.

Lonewolf
08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Welcome Michael :) You have come to the right place. What state are you looking to build in?
Marcus Ward

AnneHepp
08-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi, I need to ask some very basic and probably dumb questions. I have always wanted a log home. I have 15 acres of mature cedar trees in Tn. This is the cedar they use for closets, etc. Very fragrant. Can you tell I am a female???? lol Can this type of logs be used to build a log home?

StressMan79
08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I have heard of people building with cedar. It is plenty strong for the walls, which are not stress critical. Beam members are a different story. You will likely want to use a larch or a doug fir for these elements. You will need a much larger diameter if you stick with cedar. Alternatively, you can support it more (shorter spans).

Also, you might want to rethink living in a humidor. I love the smell of cedar, but in moderation. I don't know if I could sleep in a home that was so fragrant.

Skip would tell you, the best logs are the logs you got. Enjoy the process.

-Peter

Valley
08-25-2008, 05:33 AM
Hi,

My name is Jim from Nova Scotia, Canada. I would love to take a course but it seems out of reach right now. I am planning on building a post and log home over the next 2 years for my family.

Timberwolf
08-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Geez, we're takin' over.

Welcome Jim, what part of NS are you from?

Valley
08-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi Timberwolf,
I'm in the Annapolis Valley near Kentville. How about you?, where'r you from?

Garlockw
08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Live SE of Dallas, Texas, looking to build a home. We have a Dariy and plan on building with Cash. Have plans for a two story 1400 sq ft. house. The plan seems simple to me but a local builder wants over $160K to build a traditional stick built.

Just really out of our budget. We have about $60K cash and could come up with more if need be. Is this a reasonable budget to build a log house ?

Being a thrid generation farmer am used to doing almost anything with mechanics or carpentry / masonry / electrical / plumbing. Our build codes are rather lax as live out in the county and the government folks don't bother us that much.

We do have tractors / skid steer loaders and other machine for lifting heavy objects as well as dirt work etc.

Just looking for some guidance as to where to start. The kits we have looked at over the years are really too costly for us.

Bill G
Kemp, Texas

Timber
08-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I love the smell of cedar, but in moderation. I don't know if I could sleep in a home that was so fragrant. < stressman wrote
Well i cant smell drywallmud-but other people who are not constantly around it can smell it. Painters dont smell paint-
or they just cant-unless its killz. I think you would get used to the smell but that might be a bad thing--not being able to smell cedar cause you got used to being around it all the time--jmo

Yuhjn
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Live SE of Dallas, Texas, looking to build a home. We have a Dariy and plan on building with Cash. Have plans for a two story 1400 sq ft. house. The plan seems simple to me but a local builder wants over $160K to build a traditional stick built.

Just really out of our budget. We have about $60K cash and could come up with more if need be. Is this a reasonable budget to build a log house ?

It sounds like you are in a great position to build on a shoe-string budget:

1. You are going to be able to do most, if not all, of the work youself.
2. You have land.
3. You have relaxed buliding codes / inspectors.
4. You dont need a huge house.

Other questions I'd have might include:

1. How much will a well cost you? Or do you have one already?
2. How about septic? Can you legally do that yourself?
3. Ever dug a foundation before? Have equipment?
4. Will it cost anything to run the electric to your site?
5. Got a sawmill?

1400 sq ft is going to be easy to hit. You could do a 2 story 30x30 with the 2nd story only a half floor (loft) and be basically at that. A 30x30 is a very reasonble sized house since you can get most of your logs at around 35' in length.

I'd say you're very well positioned, especially if you can live on site in a camper or mobie or something while building.

Will 60k be enough to do a compelte house? It certainly could be, yes. But there are a lot of variables so I cant just say "yes you can". But it's reasonable yes.

dvb
08-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Bill G.
I am also from a farming background and have similar experiences as you. We are building our cabin now.
The first thing you need to do is to take the class when it is next available. Get on the e-mail notification list of the next class and sign up fast, they will fill up quickly. Everything will become clearer after the class and you will see that what you are asking is possible. Just remember that time=money. The faster you build, the more it will cost you. Don't get too set on a floorplan until after the class.
Good Luck on whatever you decide to do,

Free Ranger
08-27-2008, 05:56 AM
My name is Robert - located in Ottawa, Ontario.

I stumbled upon this site yesterday and it peaked my interested. I immediately began researching land prices in neighbouring Quebec. Looking forward to learning more about log cabin construction, and also to offer help to anyone building one around Ottawa.

Cheers,
Rob

Hello Rob,

I just joined this forum last week but have been scoping the website out for some time. I live just east of Ottawa, under 1 hour. (But I work in Ottawa) ....At the moment, I am confused to whether I should build the B&P myself through Skips class or if I should get a Scandinavian log home built by a builder in Quebec.
At this time I am just keeping an open mind about both styles of building.

triglav
08-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey Marc,

I am in the same position, having just started reading about this. I will take the class to learn as much as I can. It looks like the real benefit of this is that one saves money on labour and materials by doing it all one's self. Thinking of the Chelsea / Wakefield area for land. There are lots of trees there too :)

There is something satisfying about building a house..something natural.

See you sometime,
Rob

rgdula
08-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Were in Alabama is your land located? I'll be building in N. Alabama 10 miles east of Huntsville.

Free Ranger
08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Were in Alabama is your land located? I'll be building in N. Alabama 10 miles east of Huntsville.

Hello, we're both in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Pretty far from Ottawa, Alabama ( i had to google it to make sure there was an Ottawa in Alabama).

miltonjoy
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
rgdula, glad to hear from you, our land is near Roanoke Al, close to GA border, Mt Olive or Five Points to be exact, pretty rural. we have some family there. Huntsville is a nice city to be in, my husband has some family there. when are you planning on building?. We are chomping at the bit to leave Atl, but who knows how long it will take to sell our house. Of course we will have no where to live after that, we were thinking of building a small log cabin for temporary and maybe expand later until we can take the class. I am sure we will make lots of mistakes until we know what we are doing. What kind of logs are you planning on using? I know there is lots of loblolly pine growing is that good for a log home?
Joy

Stonecold
08-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Hello miltonjoy,
I live in Ashland, Al. Hope to be building soon. I went to the class in Feb and loved it. I still have so much to learn. Good luck at selling your home.

cntrydan
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Not sure if registering is the same thing as posting a note to introduce myself. The posting process and threads are a bit confusing to me. Anyway, very interested in what LHBA offers, can't wait to attend class. Have read most threads, posted on one or two. Enjoy the commentary and learn quite a lot.

Very sorry about Skip, and very sorry I got to this too late to know him.

Located in West Tennessee. Would prefer mountains of East Tn, but like it says on site, ya, gotta work with what ya got.

One tiny favor. Maybe this is something only told in the class. If so, I will be patient. But if it is not too much, would someone please tell me how you get those 4 lift logs out of the box once the walls are up??? :-)

I just can't figure that out and no one seems to mention. Its probably so obvious, but I am an engineer. It has to be clear and logical for us. We are severely challenged in the imagination department.

Thanks, Enjoy the site and look forward to class.

dl

patrickandbianca
08-28-2008, 07:48 AM
That is one of the many questions that I had. There were about 20 things I couldnt figure out and then when they tell you in class you will think "Why didnt I think of that?".

Patrick

rgdula
08-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I have a few lobolly but all I can tell you is that they are pine. My neighbor wanted to expand his pasture for his horses. The pine beetle were moving in so he said to take whatever I needed. So, I have about 110 pine logs to start peeling this weekend. I am hopefull in having all permits by the end of Sept. I would like to have the shell completed before winter.

Bob

StressMan79
08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
If you can't they'll tell you in class, but Skip would tell you to be smarter than the log. BTW, I'm an engineer too.

-Peter

greenthumb
08-28-2008, 01:54 PM
One tiny favor. Maybe this is something only told in the class. If so, I will be patient. But if it is not too much, would someone please tell me how you get those 4 lift logs out of the box once the walls are up??? :-)

dl

Helicopter.

Thats the only way. ; )

Really though, I find the question you ask to be a little different than normal. The more usual question related to the lifted poles is 'how do you get them up to begin with????' Now... to give a little hint. Do you need the lifting poles for anything else once the log lifting is over with? Is there any reason for those poles to still be logs? There's more than one way to skin a cat... ; )

All of this is covered in depth in the class.

miltonjoy
08-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Hope you have some help with those logs. So I guess any pine will do. There is a saw mill in Roanoke, I wonder if that will come in handy when we start to build? Seems like once you start peeling, it's like a train going down a hill- theres no stopping. That's very ambitious and I am sure you can do it, Rob. Insipirng to know that something like that can be accomplished so fast. good luck. Maybe we could catch a glimpse of your place sometime while your in the process?

Joy

Brandon
08-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Hello Jim,
My name is Brandon Griffin. I have been a member for about 3 years now. Although I took the class 3 years ago I still brouse the forum a couple times a week to see what's new.

I'm writing because I'm moving from Utah, where I live now, to Nova Scotia. I'm planning on going to dental school up there at Dalhousie University. I would love to drop in a lend a hand on your construction project. I've been a wood worker since I was young. I haven't always had time to do it, it I sure enjoy it when I do.

I was surfing the web and found a gentelman building a slip form masonry cabin up in Nova Scotia. I should google that again and see if I couldn't find his web sight again. Slip form is a nice compliment to logs.

Maybe we'll run into each other soon. If you would like to email me at GriffinBCB@hotmail.com that would be great. We'll talk to you later.

cntrydan
08-29-2008, 04:31 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, by Helicopter. Black Hawk or Huey??? Why didn't I think of that? Well, actually, I did. But since I didn't HAVE one in my toolbox, and they don't rent them locally, I thought I would just ask. Good to know the class includes standup comedy ! :-)

Yeah, I thought of the chainsaw too. Then wondered if they might serve some purpose within the box. It seems a shame to take the chainsaw to them, and a bit difficult as well, felling a tree inside the box. I am sure there is a way, I'll be patient. Thanks for the indulgence.

dl

cntrydan
08-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Thanks, I am sure it will come to me. I see you are a stressed enginner. I thought we were all stressed. It goes with the territory.

dl

wonder
09-02-2008, 07:07 AM
I have an opportunity to buy red pine logs grown in Michigan. They are 32' long , 12" at the base & 8" at the top. They have been debarked using a pressure washer & have been sitting cross stacked for two years under tarps.

My question is, would these logs be ok to use for my log home? They have not been treated & were cut in the fall.

Tom

miltonjoy
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Hello miltonjoy,
I live in Ashland, Al. Hope to be building soon. I went to the class in Feb and loved it. I still have so much to learn. Good luck at selling your home.

Wow I can't believe there are like minded people in East Alabama, nice to hear that. Is your family name Stone? My husband Milton's fam is from Malone with the last name Stone, maybe we're distant relatives. I grew up a suburban girl and was apprehensive about country living, but now I know the only thing I will miss is family and friends in Atlanta. Hope to be out there soon. Good luck with your build, I know flight nursing is quite a busy career, I'm an RN. Joy

Valley
09-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi Brandon,

I'm hopefull things will go well this winter with my planning. As for woodworking, I make a Windsor chair once in awhile. We might have a thing or two to talk about regarding woodworking, and log building of course.

Wendalayo
09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Hello all.
I'm new to this site, being driven here by finding out that the Cabin I live in here in Seattle will soon fall down. Here's a little history: Built in 1931, by a one-armed Butcher for his wife, the cabin was then purchased by my Grandfather, and our family has lived in it ever since. I just recently moved back to the cabin after an absence of 8 years. One of my family members was supposed to be maintaining it but didn't. I thought maybe the house would eventually need a new roof, maybe the floors done. However, when you go underneath the house you see the support logs and can literally stick your finger into them they are so mushy. There are also mushrooms growing inside the home in between several of the logs. If you can believe it there has never been a problem with the electrical system, or any proplem with sewage after it was hooked up to the city in the early 70's. I'm here trying to find a way that I can salvage at least the look of my home, building a new one with a matching floor plan, possibly around the stone fireplace that is the original fireplace of the cabin and where my Grandparents, Mother and Father, and most of my siblings have been married. So that is that. Nice to meet everyone :)

formermontanagirl
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I just came across this site. My husband and I REALLY wanting a log home!! I am originally from Montana and now live in VA. My husband is a real outdoorsman and this is our dream. My husband was hurt on the job in August of 2005. We are hoping to get some money from this, but it will probably only pay for the land. My husband had a serious head injury. He is back to work, but can't deal with the stress of it. I guess my question is, what would be the cost to build ourselves? We have priced a lot of kits. After paying for the kit, we'd still have the expense of the contractor, plumber, electrician,.... any input would be appreciated. Also, are students still building homes? I'd like more info. Thanks!!!!

chadfortman
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry
Hello and Wecome
Allot people ask this qwestion and its very hard to answer it.
Its to hard to figure out how much it cost it all depends on allot things.
Price of your land you buy and how much work you can learn to do your self.
And if you got your trees on your own property. And how strick your codes are where you live.
For me my land wasent bad but i got do altiertive septic that cost more.
But as kits go there gone cost you allot more anyway you look at it.
Where would you like to build at in Va i know south of va the land is cheeper.
There a few of us from Va building ore in process of building.
I am Luray Va north and land went up in price here since i bought a few years back.
If you want ask me some qwestions here my email chad_fortman2001@yahoo.com
If you take the class you learn allot on ways to save allot money.
cheers Chad

mountaingator
09-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Hi, I attended the class in the spring of '07 and loved it. I have a home in central FL that is currently still on the market. When it sells we are going to buy some land in Northern KY, where we now live. I am in the process of finding logs and equipment. There are a lot of "Log Homes" in this area, but none that use the butt and pass method. Every one of them are kits and look so sterile. I love the rustic and sturdy finished look of a BnP log home. I'm glad to be a member of an organization of realistic people.

ricej
09-15-2008, 05:22 AM
I've always wanted a log home, so I guess I'm getting ready to get serious. I will probably have to 'order and buy' logs from somewhere elese and 'rail' 'em here, so I need plenty of advice. So start sending those letters and postcards now!! I don't know when the next class will be, but I hope to be there for it.

ricej
09-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Good to know. Hope to get to know a number of people. I'll try and get the hang of asking the right questions i the right way. Gotta go, thanks

sunshine_hicks
09-17-2008, 06:32 PM
my husband and I had a constuction bussiness which had led to a downfall we are now in the process of purchacing property in colorado so that we can fulfill our dream of one day building a log cabin but the kits are not the way to go so i've heard and this is something we would like to do hands on. That is when we ran across this site and we are hoping to get any advice as we go about the process of constucting our own log cabin we are not sure about where to purchace our logs or anything else for that matter we are just tring to do our best but we do know we are planning on putting it on a heated slab we are now truck drivers so we go just about everywhere. we think that we can do most of the construction ourselves but its just getting started is the hard part so it seems. the problem is our land hads no trees it is all praire grass any help you can give would be greatly appreciated we can probably get them hauled in from just about anywhere due to us being truck drivers but we have no way to cut or pull the logs so if there is any way to help us locate the materals so we can go about our dream that woulde be wonderful thank you so very much james and sunshine

Happy Dog
09-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Hiya. An uncle of mine wants to build a log home, and directed me to your site. He's got property 150 miles from me, so I'll be taking a summer off to help him. We'll be attending the class whenever he can arrange it.
I'm a working carpenter with plenty of tools, but do you have a list of uncommon items we may need, so I can start looking for them? Thanx

Tom Featherstone
09-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Welcome!

My suggestion to you that have newly found us is to read all the info you can on this site. Up at the top of the page you'll see "forums" open that and you'll see the "Member section" and the "Public Forums". Well, you can't get into the Member section yet, but all the info in the Public forums are yours for the reading.

I would also sign up for the Email alert for when classes will be offered again, you'll receive an email before the classes are offered on the internet.

I like you found this site over 2 years ago, read everything I could, then finally signed up for the class. One thing you'll read over and over again..... " The best investment of my life" of which I totally agree, my wife & I took the class this past April.

I personally discounted building with logs over 20yrs ago, for all the reasons you can come up with, but now, we are preparing to build our log home, with the method that I've come to believe is the Correct way to build with logs.......Butt -n- Pass as taught by this association.

This is for real, I too had a healthy amount of skepticism up until the first hour of class, when all my remainder of questions were answered, then I had to open my mind to all the info they were teaching.

This is not a Club, it is an association of people willing to help anyone (almost) with their dreams of building a log home, with the method & backing of members to complete it.

Welcome Again!
Tom

dvb
09-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Sunshine Hicks,
You will find that there are several of us building in Colorado. Where is your land at? We live near Mead and we are building near Rabbit Ears Pass.
First step is to get signed up for the class and read this entire site!!

Rowjr
09-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Hello
I find myself looking into so many log sites that I thought why not a forum too. I'm a man who has dream of a log cabin since I was a child and have a few acres in West Virginia where eventually would like to plant one and maybe should start learning more of all the pros and cons of one before trying to start which I hope soon within a couple of years or less.
My name is Rob and I hope to see or read some good stuff within ....

rckclmbr428
09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Where at in WV are you? I am currently building in Roanoke, VA but am from barboursville, WV and hope to be getting land in the new river gorge area soon, hit me up at rckclmbr428 at aol dot com

jennifer.robinsong
09-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi!

I'm Jenny and my husband is Noel. We are parents to the lovely 2.5 yo Elizabeth. We live in the concrete jungle, behind the Iron Curtain (Long Beach, California). As soon as my husband is finished with his teaching credential program, we're outta here! We want to move to Idaho or Washington. We want to take the loghomebuilders class and eventually build one of our own somewhere in the Northwest.

Can someone help me find the Contact Information off this website? I want to e-mail them to request that a class be offered sometime around Easter 2009. But I see no way of conacting or emailing the administrators or people in the organization.

Jenny

Timberwolf
09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
If you are looking for info on when a class is scheduled, just follow this link to sign up.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/alert

Cheers,

J.

Rowjr
09-27-2008, 03:29 PM
North West side near Glenville,weston area...Dodgedridge county, West Union is the county seat....Its a beautiful area ! New river area is beautiful too great small mouth fishing

jennifer.robinsong
09-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Well, I have been signed up with that e-mail notification for a while now. So far, the classes haven't been at the right time for us. We have many ducks to get all in a row first. But I think 2009 will be our year!

Isn't there an e-mail address where we can communicate with them? Or do they read all the posts?

If this is my only way--I just want to ask: any chance there will be a log home building class in the Spring of 2009? My husband's Easter Vacation (he's a teacher) may be our ONLY opportunity to come up there, and look at properties in the area as well. We want to relocate from the large city of Long Beach, CA to something more rural in Idaho within 12 months, but we have NO idea where to go! So I figured--kill two birds with one stone: use his week-long Easter vacation to 1. take the log home building class, and 2. scope out an area we're dreaming of, but is presently totallly foreign to us: Idaho!

Jenny

Timber
09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Jenny, when you get notified of a class sign up-look for airplane tickets online & book imediately-same for your room. I stayed at Best Western in Monroe and it was very nice. If you do as i suggest you will save and not have to worry where you will stay-the Best Westerm is only 10 minites from class and it was full. Cheap tickets or priceline-you can go there and see what the cost is 30 days in advance to get idea of flight price. SEA TAC is where you fly in to. They give you more than 30 days in advance when class notices go out. What I am saying is he can go and at worst miss a Monday-hopefull both of you can go!

chadfortman
09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry!
Keep Rocking With Dokken!

Most the time i stay at best westerns.
But when i was there ever night i had problems hearing kids people in the hallways.
I think the cheeper place across the street might be under rated.
I should have stayed at one them i might got some sleep.
Do a dry Run to find the parking lot for the class the day before.
Enjoy the class.

StressMan79
09-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Jennifer,

The admins do read many many of the posts. They don't read them all (I don't imagine--they do have other things going on). However, I talked to a member who talked to Ellsworth. Evidently the "member's meeting" has not even been scheduled for this fall (we generally have a get together). Anyway, I suspect that there has been little thought as far as when exactly the next class, especially the next two classes will be. I understand that the current drought won't go on indefinitely. Unfortunately the best way to find out when the upcoming classes are coming will be the email alert.

There is a lot of beautiful rural land available in N.E. Washington. It is a good drive from Skip's ranch, but you might be able to take a look on your trip up here. If I'm up there, you would certainly be welcome to stop by, peel a log, have a sandwich, etc.

Good luck on your log home building endeavors. We (I) will assist in any way we (I) can.

-Peter

clark549
09-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi Steve,

I just found out about 30 mins ago about Skip Ellsworths death. I met Skip back in 1998 when I had planned a trip to the school. I never made it to the school but Skip and I became E-mail buddies. He kept me informed of his pioneer journey when he was skipping across the Islands of the Philipines. We lost contact around 2000. Strangely as it may seem, Skip has been on my mind for several days. This morning (Sept. 28th, 2008) when I awakened I began wondering where the Skipper was and to my shock read the article of his death, I was shocked.
Skip use to tell me that the USA is heading for very bad times.....here we are! There was a lot more to Skip than most know of him, he was much bigger than just Log Home Building, he was a visionary. I even thought at one time he was a little radical. Looking back, the Skipper had a vision beyond Log Homes. He saw the future. This guy most definitely left a gaping hole in the world and the Log Home community. I salute a great man and may his son carry on the legacy.
Phil Clark, NC Mountains

TokyoBruce
09-28-2008, 04:04 AM
Hi everyone.
I'd like to introduce us. My name is Paul. My wife (Natsuyo) and daughter Natalie-Momoha all live in Tokyo, Japan. We've got a 5 (approx) year plan to move up to the northern most island of Japan (Hokkaido) to build our dream log home. We're in the very early stages, yet to attend a class, so reading the site is really getting us excited about planning our path to a log home lifestyle.
We're so very impressed with the beautiful log homes that have been built by former students. We'd be ecstatic if we could build our home half as good as the ones posted here.
We look forward to getting to know others here and finally, one day soon hopefully, getting to meet at a class.

Until then, live healthily, and may your heart greet each day with song.

The Dore' family in Japan

raybuilt
09-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi all, my name is Ray. Myself and family (wife and 3 boys, 14, 10 & 9) love to build. Building boats has been our latest hobby but we are thinking of trying a log home, actually we plan to start with a small cabin, something under 1000sq/ft and if that goes well then we'll tackle a house.
I have already learned quite a bit from this site already.
Ray

Rowjr
09-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Wondering what your dimensions are and let me say it looks like its coming along pretty nice....

Tree Cowboy
10-09-2008, 02:48 AM
My name is Wayne Shannon. I am owner/operator of Tree Cowboy, Inc. of Atlanta. Visit my website at www.treecowboy.com. I am a currently in the process of a Masters degree program at Georgia Tech. My study is in International Affairs, with a focus on Environmental Politics. I am very interested in learning the process that goes into permitting and building my own log home, and am ready to begin immediately. I have the timber source and the land to build on, so what am I waiting for? I look forward to gaining as much knowledge in this area as possible and look forward to networking with those of you that can offer me some direction.

Wayne Shannon
ISA Certified Arborist SO-5436A
Tree Cowboy, Inc.

StressMan79
10-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Greatly depends on what jurisdiction you are under. Call you county building (planning) department--get fee schedules, requirements, etc. You'll likely need a septic permit first, then (if your county offers it) an owner-builder permit. Take the class, get your logs and a HS football team that needs the cash, and a dozen spuds and set them to peeling.

Anyway, the key is to learn how to build cheaply and correctly. Start scouring CL for deals on tools and materials. Play around with floorplans, network with people you can barter with and that can help you plan or with labor. You'll find membership in the LHBA will greatly help you with the networking, as you'll be plugged into a nation (even world) wide association of like-minded people to help you get your dream accomplished.

That is my 2 cents.

-Peter

GoodyAK
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey all,
My name is Josh and I'm in Fairbanks Alaska. I'm a student at UAF and in my final year of my elementary education program. A few years back i walked into a construction job that lead to building a small log cabin. After building the cabin I rented it and lived in it for all but a year, and have never enjoyed a living space so much. Once out of school, with a somewhat stable job, I plan on building my own log home and maybe some rental cabins.

chadfortman
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry!

Josh if you want learn to build your own cabin correct this the place.
This club is a great place to learn and chat to other members.
People that join this club are hard working and have same goal to live free.
If you got some pictures of your cabin we love to see them.
I never lived in one yet but i am process to build it sooner ore later.
I been in 2 of them and its got a good feeling inside one.
Hope you joined the new letter and take the class enjoy the the club.
Seya Chad

hubert
10-11-2008, 07:41 AM
I am ffrom east Texas and my wife and i are looking into building a log home. we are in the planning and property aquisition stage. We have looked at several KIT homes and I thought there had to be a better cheaper way. I just figured that if our ancesters could strike out with only a wagon load of dreams and an axe and build a home i have no excuse considering the technology at my fingertips.

spiralsands
10-11-2008, 09:04 AM
That's exactly how I feel about things. I bought a property that has a neighboring acreage with an 180+ year old house on it. It was built in 1830 or so and in the attic you can see the ax marks on the post and beam logs that were cut right from the forest behind it. The foundation is made from field stones and the well was dug. There was no bathroom or running water and the guy who built it raised about 10 kids there. Considering all the advantages we have today with modern tools, electricity and communication, we should be and are able to do the same thing, only better.

Frances

kbarstow2
10-11-2008, 09:21 AM
We are planning to move to AK on one of the islands and building our own, literally form scratch. I've lived in bot a kit built home and one where it started by cutting the logs, hauling htem out of the mountains, peeling and building. I will never buy a kit-the price is stupid and they just aren't as good of a home-besides, unless you want to pay super prices to design your own, you're getting the same house a lot of other people have. We won't be there for a year or two, probably, but I'd be open to giving you logs in turn for help building our site.

kbarstow2
10-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone-name's Karie Barstow. I did a lot of searcing online to find this place and am very happy I did. My husband and I are looking at buying 2.33 acres of land in Alaska. Its dense forest and there are no building codes or restrictions on anything-not even any taxes. SO, we want to go live in a tent while we cut our trees and build our dream home, lodge, cabins, etc., but our first priority is obviously our home. I have lived in a kit log home when I was young, as well as one made from scratch, like we want to do. It was so long ago, and being a young girl, my only involvement was peeling the logs with an old blade that had two handles. lol hard work, but the finisihsed product was incredible.
I am not a builder so any pointers are great. We have a few friends willing to come help in turn for some fishing trips, but I still don't know where to start aside form choosing and cutting the logs. Any advice on how-to's and where? Unfortunately I cannot travel to the classes...
Thanks for the welcome.:-)

StressMan79
10-11-2008, 04:35 PM
1) take the class this will outline what you should do and give you access to the member's section. If you absolutely cannot do that,
2) read this site as much as possible. The ideas are fairly simple. get out of rent/mortgage trap ASAP, Use whole logs, collect materials/tools prior to starting, and don't pay to much for stuff.
3) decide what you need. Develop a plan.
4) Find your land. Like all things, don't rush into this.
5) work on floor plans.
6) Find your logs. If you can get them on your own property, great. Hire a logger to cut them, as we don't want you to become a statistic (logging is dangerous work)
7) Save money during the whole escapade. You'll need it for the build.
8) Time to start! If you are even considering selling, get permits for all applicable things (usually at least septic, may be electrical, structural, etc.)
9) Pour your foundation. This may be SIF's, Stem wall, Pier blocks, etc.
10) stack your logs, put on your roof, do interior, finish windows/doors, chink
11) run electrical, plumbing, climate control, etc.
12) sit back and relax. You earned it, you don't have to pay for housing. I don't know about you guys, but that is most of my after tax cash.

note that only #(1&2), 6 and 10 have to do with "log" homes. the rest has to do with how to build for yourself and keeping costs down.

-Peter

ChainsawGrandpa
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
"Find your logs. If you can get them on your own property, great. Hire a logger to
cut them, as we don't want you to become a statistic (logging is dangerous work)"

Amen to that one brother!

I recently took down a small (10" x 60') tree.
I left myself a lot of rope and chain (to keep the tree out of the truck cab) but it was tedious
and dangerous work. A logger may charge a lot of money, but they are so fast that to do the
work myself would not have been practical. At $30 (it's a ballpark guess) a logger can do 5X
the work I can. That means my time as a logger would be worth $6/hr. My time can be better
spent doing what I do best. He knows he to be safe, fast, and he's in better shape that I am
right now. A logger can limb at almost walking speed. That's much faster than me!

-Rick

bikerabbi
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Working on fulfilling 2 dreams: to build my own log home and to live in it. Looking forward to meeting the members here.

bikerabbi
10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey, Mountaingator - where in Florida is your house? I'm in the Tampa Bay area.
Gabriel

kungfufrijters
10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
My name is Joel Frijters. I am a part of the recent Canuck invasion :)

My wife and I are building a small starter house this spring in Ontario
(North of Belleville, East of Madoc and West of Tweed for those who
know where those places are :) We have recently purchased our
property and we are looking to start preparing it before our -75 degree
winters kick in ;) We are building mortgage-free and have managed to
avoid any temptation to cave.

We are always looking for any advice, friendly pointers, or log-associated
deals that anyone is willing to share.

I am a Social Worker by vocation, a music therapist / graphic designer by
education and a creative problem solver by trade, so if there is anything
I can assist any of you with I'll be more then happy to oblige.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and I look forward to what we can share :)

Joel.

Randall1309
10-17-2008, 05:58 AM
"I just found out about 30 mins ago about Skip Ellsworths death. "

I also just found out. My sympathies to the Ellsworth family....

My wife and I first started dreaming about owning/building our own home about a year ago. Then, later, our dream became to build a log home. I love to do research before jumping into anything. So, it didn't take long to find this website and read everything this site has to offer. I especially love to see student houses. We can't wait to attend the class. It's too bad it won't be instructed by Skip, but I'm sure his son, and other peers, will do a fine job teaching it. We're from Portland Or./Vancouver Wa. and plan to move to East Washington next spring. This is the biggest step we'll ever make in our lives.

After we build our house we plan to use all natural resources (renewable energy) to live as frugal as possible. Oh, and then someday, we want to build a go-cart race track...

Can't wait to get started,
Randall and Tabatha

ChainsawGrandpa
10-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey, welcome to the forums.
Though Skip no longer teaches the classes you can rest assured that the association is in good hands.
The classes are still excellent, and they contain a wealth of information. Well worth the small cost and
time for the return in cost savings and frustration.
Do you need a house in the interum? Selling mine in Wenatchee (shameless plug).
On the way to my new place I pass kart rack. It's just a simple oval, but I've always had a dream of
building a scale model of Monaco (the course, not the principality). Raced karts about thirty years ago.
A lot of fun. Someday I hope to have enough time to dedicate to kart racing.

-Rick

flaggyjack
10-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Gday, great to see the course is running agian. Some day i would love to come over to the usa and take a lhba course.
We don't have many log home builders here, only two i know of!
Is anyone else over here Interested in log home building?

ps Great site Steve!!!!

Eddie_Colon
10-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Hi everybody.

I bumped into this website the other day, and I decided to join right away. I live in Puerto Rico, there aren't any log homes here, but I plan to move back to the states in a yr or two, and I am very interested in buying an acre or two, and trying to build my own house. I want to explore the possibility of building an octagonal, or even a 10-sided home. I have read that the round shape is alot stronger against the wind. I'm hoping to make some friends on this site that might teach me something about building a house in that round shape.
So far, I like this site very much.

Eddie from Puerto Rico

spiralsands
10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I too am in the Tampa Bay Area. And, I have tickets to the Rays/Red Socks game tonight. It's game 7 and if the Rays lose this one, it'll be just one more reason to get out of this loserville and get up to my property where there is only high school sports...and who really cares about that except the parents....

Frances

P.S.: Rays won last night! Going to the World Series!

StressMan79
10-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Glad to hear you want to build a place of your own.

Yes, this site is the first stop for many of our persuasion. You may find through your reseach that a round log house may not be the best idea. Here are a few ideas

1) a round house (say octagon) has twice as many corners, and will therefore be much more work
2) Straight logs are very strong. any weakness will come from corner joints (unless you are building in a hurricane zone, I wouldn't worry about wind strength anyway)
3) Furniture, etc are meant for square rooms. Buckminster Fuller designed a cheap house that used minimal materials. It was round, and failed.
4) if you REALLY WANT a round home, it can be done (there is an example of a round turret on the student's homes).

Basically, The only reason for building this way is aesthetics, as a square home will be stronger, cheaper, and easier.

Eddie_Colon
10-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks Stressman.
I'm glad you read my intro. I think a round house can be strong and beautiful and something worth leaving my kids when my time is up. I'm sold on a round shape. I'm gonna check out that turret right now. You are my first contact here.

Eddie
Puerto Rico

kungfufrijters
10-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Try looking in to cordwood masonry or stackwall wall construction.
As with many types of masonry it is designed to work well in a circle.
Rob Roy, one of the main practitioners of cordwood has a beautiful
two-storey round cordwood house.

Just a thought...

chadfortman
10-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry!

I read about them and kinda cool how there made.
Only thing i didnt like is your got let the wood dry out becuse if you dont it shrinks and that makes allot cement to rechink.
I was just wathing a cople on utube that made one.
I still sticking building a log home.

kungfufrijters
10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
yeah, wood really does need to be dry...
not kiln... but at least "seasoned".
hardwood is out too... expands too much when wet.

other then that it is a pretty cool method of infill.

OTG PDR
10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi All,

I'm just a guy with 20 acres and a dream...

and without the 20 acres...

Actually, we have a nice house in town, but with the birth of our first son (4 months) we have decided we really want to get back to nature and out of town. My wife was raised on the grid, but just barely, and I am what they call a Swamp-neck back in Florida. I moved to WA in 2004, met my wife, and the rest is history.

I plan on taking the class as soon as possible, and getting off grid in that same timeframe.

We should have the money saved within a year to purchase 20 acres outright, and would like to use the lumber from our own land. We plan on living in our house till the majority of the log home is complete, then using the proceeds from our house for solar (possibly wind) power system and drilling a well (if gravity fed / rain cystern isn't available) and any other high dollar expenses we haven't planned for yet. (I'm thinking 4 wheeler!)

My wife's Aunt lived off the grid for 15+ years and raised 3 wonderful children while doing it. She was hardcore with no power or running water, and quite the inspiration. Although we (read "we" as my wife) wants some of the modern amenities (hot water, electricity, etc) We are both excited to begin living our dream.

I'm happy to found the site, and you all are an inspiration to turn this dream into a reality.

Best Regards,

Paul Reilly and family

Randall1309
10-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Wow, you have a fast time line if you're planning on building inside of a year. Maybe you're just getting the land in that time? Not sure. Anyhoot, good luck to you. I am in a similar frame of mind as you. My son was born late August (2 months old), and I am looking into free energy (zero point energy using magnets), and easy house heating (rocket stove, also doubles as a cooking stove). But we're open to all the options when it comes to living off the grid. We're taking the class Dec. 6th/7th, and sometime after the new year we'll be moving to Spokane County from Vancouver.

This site is awesome. Read as much as possible. Look at the student houses. View the websites people link below their posts. My whole thought process has changed just in the little I have already learned.

Randall

ps. another high dollar expense might be a go-kart or a few...