PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Mosseyme
09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Welcome Petra,
Glad you could join our family, you will find more support here than you can yet imagine.

Petra
09-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Thank you :)

northerngal
09-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Yes, last weekend ;)
And Iam happy I did it.

Really Petra? There was another Czech woman in September's class? I was the 'Canadian' gal sitting at the back... but Czech-born. :-)

Petra
09-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Really? That´s sad we didn´t have chance to speak :( But I was so exhausted because of time change so I just concentrated to stay awake :)
So where are you from in Czech republic and for how long you lived there?

northerngal
09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Those were some intense learning days, can't even imagine doing it jet lagged.

I'm from Moravia, my family defected when I was 8. In which area are you thinking of building? I'm located in Edmonton, Alberta, hoping to build west of the city.

A while back I was pointed to Debby's blog (a member who built a spectacular home in my area) and ever since then I was hooked. Actually I think I was born with the log home dream, but the LHBA way made it a possibility. ;-)

Zetmandu
09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Welcome northerngal and Petra. Not that you have taken the class, the forum reading and head spinning really beings

Petra
09-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Ahhh, my granny comes from Moravia. It is very nice place. Iam from central Czech - area around Prague.
I don´t know yet where would be my first log home as I live partly in Malaysia as well. And guess that there it would be bit easier because of weather conditions. But don´t know yet..
With me it is similar - since I remember I had two dreams - log home (built by my own hands) and to breed horses :D
But until I found LHBA I was just dreaming about building it, but now Iam sure that my dream will come true soon :)

LogHomeFeverDan
09-22-2012, 02:47 AM
Hello all!! I'm Dan and yes I have the fever. We are in the process of purchasing a spit under 9 acres in the pre foothills of North Carolina. I just "discovered" this site and forum yesterday. I'm completely engrossed already. I've not been able to get to a class yet but will make every effort to get to one asap. I'd so LOVE to build our own log home on this property. Anywho, I've been scanning the forums and reading. Thanks to all who post here. I will document the process verbally and pictorially. Our family, myself, wife, 2 gorgeous daughters, dog and cat, yes they are both female too! I'm thinking I'll need to build a separate "Dad's bathroom". <ducking>

Opherman47
09-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Hello my name is Chris.. Currently I am in Kabul, Afghanistan Looking to build a log cabin when I get back from my deployment. I play a lot of guitar, brew my own beer, and like to camp and whitewater kayak. Thanks for hosting this forum. I hope to catch a class!

Opherman47
09-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Oh and I live in Nashville... couldnt figure out how to edit my thread

housetruckin
09-22-2012, 04:14 AM
Fever,

What part of NC? We are considering that area for our build. We used to live in Waynesville and just love Western NC.

Hello all!! I'm Dan and yes I have the fever. We are in the process of purchasing a spit under 9 acres in the pre foothills of North Carolina. I just "discovered" this site and forum yesterday. I'm completely engrossed already. I've not been able to get to a class yet but will make every effort to get to one asap. I'd so LOVE to build our own log home on this property. Anywho, I've been scanning the forums and reading. Thanks to all who post here. I will document the process verbally and pictorially. Our family, myself, wife, 2 gorgeous daughters, dog and cat, yes they are both female too! I'm thinking I'll need to build a separate "Dad's bathroom". <ducking>

panderson03
09-22-2012, 05:10 AM
welcome Dan and Chris. so glad you found us. have fun reading the threads.

LogHomeFeverDan
09-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I believe technically it's Morgan township. The closest actual town is Lake Lure. The property however is about nine miles from the lake. Thanks for asking Housetruckin.

pastormichael
09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Hello everyone,
My name is Michael I am a pastor in Rock Springs Wy, been here for a year and a few months. My wife and I have six children their ages 13 to 10. We had three children of our own and then we adopted three more children, their ages are 13, 12, 12, 11, 11, 10 very much like having three sets of children. We would love to build a home of our own, where our children can patake in the building of our own home. We haven't purchase property yet, but we are looking. Trying to get the money together for the class in November. I love this site, we have learned so much already, can't wait to build friendships through this website. Blessing to all.

Blondie
09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Welcome!

I am down in Salt Lake. Where are you looking for land.

Blondie

Mosseyme
09-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Log Home Fever Dan,
Welcome home, you will find family here. On your other post I appreciated your openess to what you see here. We get some real skeptics from time to time but this forum is what it appears to be. People pursuing their dream of building their own log home and helping others achieve their own dream You will find that several familys are building in middle and western NC so when you have made the class you will have a choice of places to go visit and learn and maybe get your hands on some logs. Be sure to take your other half to class if at all possible. Two heads listening and learning are better than one and there is a lot to take in in 22 hrs of listening. It helps a lot later when trying to recall all you have heard.
Opherman47
Chris welcome to this forum. Maybe you will get a chance to get most of this side read before you get back. Keep your head down and come home safely please. Thank you for what you do for our country.

Emailmicahsmith
09-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi Steve. I'm Micah. Current living in Germany. Moving back home to US in Two years. Plan on retirement on limited income in 8 years. I would like to build a log cabin in Georgia by then. my plan to to build a comfortable home on 6-10 acres paid off in 5 years capable of living off grid in times of need. I'm thinking this may be a good place to start as I have minimal constructing knowledge. I was a construction electrician helper for two years as a teen. Would like to attempt a 3br, 2ba with barn, shed, and smoke house.

marvlus
09-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Steve. I'm Micah. Current living in Germany. Moving back home to US in Two years. Plan on retirement on limited income in 8 years. I would like to build a log cabin in Georgia by then. my plan to to build a comfortable home on 6-10 acres paid off in 5 years capable of living off grid in times of need. I'm thinking this may be a good place to start as I have minimal constructing knowledge. I was a construction electrician helper for two years as a teen. Would like to attempt a 3br, 2ba with barn, shed, and smoke house.

You've come to the right place to get your plans established! I am also from Georgia. Just joined this in July, took the class in Sep, and now on my way to becoming a log home builder and owner. :)

Emailmicahsmith
09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I do want to take the course. I just need to wait until I get back stateside. Current in the Army and really in a wake up status realizing that I could be jobless and homeless in 7-8 years. I lost my house in 2007. my credit is less than stellar so buying before 2014 is not possible. This week I was discussing being prepared to live off net due to natural disasters, civil uprising, or Democratic election.(joking) My wife was excited about colonial style living and wanted to teach our children and grandchildren how to survive. A log cabin seemed like the logical choice. harvesting my own trees with hand tools might be slower and harder but we believe its mire authentic. (and cheaper) hope to learn a lot here like how to set foundation. find plans. prep site. cut and move trees. Pass code. wiring and plumbing. and ensuring its safe to live in including hurricane since I would be the family evacuation place.

Prosper Junction
09-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Howdy all!

Welcome to the new forums... how about posting a note in this thread so we can get to know each other?

For those who don't know me, I'm instructor Steve with the Association. ;)

Hello all. My name is Doug. I am new to threads, public forums, blogging, and most new IT technology advances. So, most of you will need to drag me into the 21st century. I hope I'm doing this right.

I own 35 acres in northern Colorado near the Roosevelt National forest. Has everything but my cabin, including a trout pond. Took the class in September and learned a ton of good stuff. Going to be building a butt and pass cabin tool shed applying the principles from the class this spring. I have the logs down and ready to de-bark. The county here is heavy on rules and regulations. I look forward to sharing ideas with the group.

While my beetle kill ponderosa pines are good enough for a shed, not good enough for a home. I am looking for logs, and you would think they would be giving them away here due to all the beetle kill, but I just have not made the right connections yet.

marvlus
09-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Took the class in September and learned a ton of good stuff. Going to be building a butt and pass cabin tool shed applying the principles from the class this spring. I have the logs down and ready to de-bark. The county here is heavy on rules and regulations. I look forward to sharing ideas with the group.

Don't forget to register for access to the Members Only forums.

rreidnauer
09-25-2012, 03:47 PM
My wife was excited about colonial style living and wanted to teach our children and grandchildren how to survive. A log cabin seemed like the logical choice.
This is why the movie "The Village" was so interesting to me. It has cool factor, but I don't know if I would be really up to the task.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

JJ Jr
09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Newbe and find it all exciting to read and look at.
I imagine I can spend hours and days here ..... and have in past. Finally getting ready to make life style changes and think this may be for me.

panderson03
09-26-2012, 05:36 PM
welcome JJ. glad you found us! we lost many hours reading here on the public forums too:) happy reading!

Tom Featherstone
10-08-2012, 04:50 AM
welcome JJ. glad you found us! we lost many hours reading here on the public forums too:) happy reading!

Lost? We're all a little lost here as I continue to read still. Now if you want to talk really lost... Look at my cousin Ron "LHN" he's been around here a lot longer than me. Older cousin Bo and I were always a little smarter but we figured we needed to jump in here to help him out on where he can't baffle the masses.... fill in the "gaps" so to say. Ha! Luv ya Runnie!

He never did like me calling him that. But we do like having a bit of fun with each other too!

dvb
10-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Hello Doug,
I used beetle kill lodgepole pine in my cabin. Why would you be against them in yours?

NORCAL
12-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi!, my name is Leif, I plan to take the course in 2013, I own a piece of property in northern california. I have been researching timberframe building, and a friend refered me to this site. It seems like this could be way easier and cheaper than timberframe. Ill be on here learning as much as I can until I take the class. I have access to ponderosa pine logs, but everyone Ive spoken to says all that they are good for is making siding, so any info on ponderosa would be much appreciated.

blane
12-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Welcome! The methods we use will work with what you got. Ponderosa will work. The key is a big roof.
Hi!, my name is Leif, I plan to take the course in 2013, I own a piece of property in northern california. I have been researching timberframe building, and a friend refered me to this site. It seems like this could be way easier and cheaper than timberframe. Ill be on here learning as much as I can until I take the class. I have access to ponderosa pine logs, but everyone Ive spoken to says all that they are good for is making siding, so any info on ponderosa would be much appreciated.

loghousenut
12-01-2012, 09:42 PM

I don't know if it'll be easier or cheaper than timberframe but it'll be WAY cooler, and a LHBA log home is the best use for crooked, nasty, knotty Ponderosa Pines. At least it's working out great for us. Our logs were worth next to nothing as lumber.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/P1020883.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010441.jpg

rocklock
12-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I built a 31 by 31 tightly pinned B&P log home. My neighbor has built a Timber frame home that is roughly 30 by 40 built on a basement that is ICF just like mine. There are interior photos. The wood is very straight grained Doug Fir. I would hesitate to build a Timber frame with anything other than Oak or Doug Fir... Or really big wood.
You can also see my pond on their photos.

http://www.theislandhouseoncamano.com/photos.htm

Just a note - this is page 179... look on page 1 for my first post... I have learned just a bit...

John W
12-03-2012, 05:41 AM
That's scary gorgeous, Rocklock.

Timber
12-07-2012, 07:56 PM
rocklocks pad kicks that to shame@@
not knocking post n beam though

2logdogs
12-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Hi all!
I'm Christina. My husband Louie is signed up for the March 2013 class. We are both so excited! :)

marvlus
12-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Welcome to LHBA Christina. You and your husband have just taken the first step to an exciting future!

loghousenut
12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi all!
I'm Christina. My husband Louie is signed up for the March 2013 class. We are both so excited! :)

Christina,
Glad to hear it. Why aren't you signed up also? It's a big step. Don't force him to take it alone. I know it costs a bit more to go as a couple, but there's a little switch deep inside your brain that has to be flipped and Louie would have a hard time holding you down at home and reaching in there to flip it all by himself. If you are there at class, they'll let you hold Louie's arms while they flip his switch. In my mind it is worth every nickel.

OK, back to reality land. What I meant to say was, "It would not have worked for my Wife and I, had she not taken the class with me". It was worth every nickel.

PS... I am in no way connected with the class except as a student from a zillion years ago.

edkemper
12-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Christina,

Don't trust him to go to the class alone. What he will be supplied with at the class needs both a driver and navigator. You cannot return from the class in the same shape you were in before the class. He will need you at the class far more than either of you know. We're not marriage counselors but we do know history of many in our family. Know what I mean?

Hope to see you both on the other side.

2logdogs
12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks Marvlus! We are so excited and can't wait to get started. Right now, the hard part is waiting. I see you are in GA. We live in Clarkesville, GA.

2logdogs
12-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi there loghousenut!
Oh my goodness I would LOVE to go to the class!! But, it is just not possible so the next best thing is for at least one of us to go. We are so excited to be part of LHBA. Can't wait to jump over to the members side.

2logdogs
12-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey edkemper!
Really wish I could go to the class. :( It just isn't going to work out that way for me. I hope all works out for us with just one of us going. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the other side!!

Christina,

Don't trust him to go to the class alone. What he will be supplied with at the class needs both a driver and navigator. You cannot return from the class in the same shape you were in before the class. He will need you at the class far more than either of you know. We're not marriage counselors but we do know history of many in our family. Know what I mean?

Hope to see you both on the other side.

Tom W
12-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi all.

Been dreaming of a log cabin for some time now. Finally have got a nice peice of property to make this dream come true.

I first got hooked on the kit construction but can't figure out where all my money goes for these kits. I live in a place with a short growing season with small growth trees.

To build something with local materials I would be forced to chose between Spruce and Hemlock, none of which here grows very big.

There is also the option of building with rough cut cants, 8x8 is about as big as they get, any views on the square log building?

Tom Featherstone
12-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Hi all.

Been dreaming of a log cabin for some time now. Finally have got a nice peice of property to make this dream come true.

I first got hooked on the kit construction but can't figure out where all my money goes for these kits. I live in a place with a short growing season with small growth trees.

To build something with local materials I would be forced to chose between Spruce and Hemlock, none of which here grows very big.

There is also the option of building with rough cut cants, 8x8 is about as big as they get, any views on the square log building?

Welcome Tom! Keep reading... Ask more questions here and then after you're tired of hearing from most of us here "take the class" sign up and take the class. Don't let your dream become a nightmare... take the class!

We are taught to build with Logs and the reason why to build with whole logs not lumber. I don't know where you live, but 8" doesn't give you much of a "R" factor for keeping warm. If it's a seasonal cabin it probably wouldn't matter, but I believe most of our members are building homes to live in year round and the bigger the better for many reasons.

The class will teach you How to go about locating logs even if they're not local to you. Spruce are fine for building as I believe Hemlock is too!

Good Luck from another Tom

StressMan79
12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I have ~6 spruce in my place. Tops range 11-15." the rest of the cabin is DF and Larch. They are different species, but you could not tell once peeled. Spruce do look different. They are white, and the others have a red tinge. Anyway, there is tons of info on this site, and even more on the member's side. Pleased to meet you all.

-Peter

pepsi
12-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Hello boys and girls!

I have always wanted to build a log home so this class seems great, but I have a couple of questions:

1. I am from Europe and English isn't my native language, will I still be able to understand what they teach in the class?

2. I still go to high school and intend to attend the class after i graduate this summer. I have saved enough money for the class and a plane ticket, but despite the small budget these houses can be built on, it would take me a long time to get the money to buy the material and land. Do you know if it's possible to loan money from a bank with only the then un-built house as collateral? If it is possible I planned to build one to sell, to finance a log cabin of my own.

Thank you in advance! :)

hakalugi
12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi from Virginia

Considering the LHBA method, since I didn't like what I saw in kits, for our vacation cabin. The site vs. the length of logs will be the challenge, as some neighbors' contractors can't even get 24' trailers up here due to the grade and switch backs. www.vamtncabin.com to see what I mean. We'll see if it's doable. Considering the March class, but hopefully going to speak to a local with LHBA experience who can advise about that question of feasibility first.

You'all have some great homes.

StressMan79
12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
dear Coke,

1) your english seems fine to me. If you don't understand something, ask, Mr. E won't bite your hand off.

2) you are 17 or 18... Man, I remember when I had the whole world at my feet. You can get land lots of ways. You can get logs lots of ways. You can actually get both for free. There is also seller financing, etc. Lots of options, and they are all covered in class. As much as you require. Write down your questions before you come, you'll cross half of them out...

I suppose you aren't the booky type, with a summer internship at CERN... Anyway, with no more than a rudimentary knowledge of math and measurement, you can build one for yourself (and maybe for land/trees too)

-Peter

hakalugi
12-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Hello boys and girls!

I have always wanted to build a log home so this class seems great, but I have a couple of questions:

1. I am from Europe and English isn't my native language, will I still be able to understand what they teach in the class?

2. I still go to high school and intend to attend the class after i graduate this summer. I have saved enough money for the class and a plane ticket, but despite the small budget these houses can be built on, it would take me a long time to get the money to buy the material and land. Do you know if it's possible to loan money from a bank with only the then un-built house as collateral? If it is possible I planned to build one to sell, to finance a log cabin of my own.

Hi, welcome, i'm new too.

in the US that is called a 'bridge loan' or construction loan, a loan on something that doesn't yet exist. Generally speaking:

1) they are hard to get
2) the terms are steep (high %)
3) they convert to traditional loans after it's built
4) you need a lot of collateral for the loan (like the land) and great credit

Have you looked for properties that may need a 'hosuekeeper' or caretaker, and maybe you could barter a land-lease (ie: a 100yr lease) for X years of services. Since you'll be there building for a while, might as well ask.

StressMan79
12-20-2012, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=hakalugi;82296}The site vs. the length of logs will be the challenge, as some neighbors' contractors can't even get 24' trailers up here due to the grade and switch backs. www.vamtncabin.com (http://www.vamtncabin.com) to see what I mean.
You'all have some great homes.[/QUOTE]

you'll be surprised what a logging truck can get up.

I have 2 vids of my driveway. There are 2 really severe switch backs, but the logging truck (with a "stinger" steering) made it around them. I got logs as long as 35'. My logger pulled the truck up the dirt hill the last mile to my place with his Cat, all three loads.

Anyway, find a good logger and ask him what he could get to your place, and design the home accordingly. Mine is only 24x24, but is great for just a man/wife.

-Peter

rreidnauer
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
in the US that is called a 'bridge loan' or construction loan, a loan on something that doesn't yet exist. Generally speaking:

1) they are hard to get
2) the terms are steep (high %)
3) they convert to traditional loans after it's built
4) you need a lot of collateral for the loan (like the land) and great credit.

Hard to get is right! I was trying to get a $5k loan to cover the short coming of closing on my property. Despite the sale price being about $20k, and me having $16k, and the property value being more like $40k, the bank I've been doing business with ever since I was 16 refused to grant the loan!!!

So instead, I just put my nose to the grindstone and managed to come up with the needed money by closing, with less than $600 in excess to spare. (lots of ramen noodle dinners during that cram session) But goes to show what one can do with sufficient determination.

sdart
12-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello pepsi,
I think the possibility of a loan will differ depending on which country you are building in. Even within the European Union, as I'm sure you know, each country still has its own system. You will need to talk to someone in your country who knows the rules there. But I think most of us would advise, no matter what country you live in, NOT to go into debt. You are young and have time to save up and work towards this goal. Once you have taken the class you'll know exactly what you need to save for and what kind of land you need to find.

There are several LHBA members from northern Europe who have taken the class, so depending on where you are, you might be able to get into contact with them and even possibly get some experience helping them build after you have taken the class.

krawlersedge
12-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Hello to all, what a great site! Can't wait to learn more.

panderson03
12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
glad you found us. stick around and stay a while :) welcome

LogHomeFeverDan
12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Hello and welcome krawlersedge. I agree "can't wait to learn more" seems contagious. (-;

loghousenut
12-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Welcome krawlersedge,

Just keep watching LogHomeFeverDan and you'll see how it's done. He's gradually peeking over the edge and about to jump in with both feet. He asks all the right questions and he knows where the answers are. I can't wait to see the log home he builds for his family.

persundberg
12-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Hello boys and girls!

Hi Pepsi, Im from sweden and plan to build here. I took the class in March , man it was a great experience and I have never been so focused any time in my life as when I took the class, I would advice not to take a loan, its a big risk not worth it. The whole idea is to become debt free.. Im 33 and still working to get rid of my loans. Where are you from? Taking the class was no problem and it seems you have a good level of english.. :-)

Skickat från min ST27i via Tapatalk 2

pepsi
12-26-2012, 07:14 AM
God dag landsman, I'm Swedish too! Where will you build your house?

persundberg
12-26-2012, 01:09 PM
God dag landsman, I'm Swedish too! Where will you build your house?

Hej :-) va kul :) , we are still thinking where to build , I'm thinking a bit up north, Im from Åmål and my gf is from skåne, but land is cheaper up north in sweden, .. We want to have some space and beautiful nature.. Currently we are in norway working to afford the house :-). Vart ska du bygga?

Skickat från min ST27i via Tapatalk 2

Bmc52
01-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Hello everyone, found this site about 6months ago and love it. I've been reading non-stop for hours at a time. I Signed up for the March class and have already booked my flights and hotel. I can't wait to go!!

marronnin
01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Welcome Bmc52, can't wait to see you on the "Other-side".

panderson03
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
welcome Bmc52! glad you'ure here. enjoy reading these public threads. there's SO much more on the members side. glad you decided to take the class. we LOVED it! we've never looked at things the same way again:)

medicgus
01-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Hello, just signed up for the march class and looking at building in 1.5 years. Lots of great info so far and I can't even access the "members only" section yet (anxiously waiting). Looking forward to an off grid loghome that I built with my own hands.

Blondie
01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Welcome medigas!

Yes it is true, the members only will not be available until after you take the class. I wasn't able to take the class for 2 or 3 years after I joined. But there is a ton of information to consume. I read and read. I am sure you are too. Where are you going to build?

Blondie

rckclmbr428
01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Welcome! Take good notes

BoFuller
01-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Welcome. Where are you located?

medicgus
01-12-2013, 11:12 PM
I am in central California but looking to relocate. Left Washington when I was 16 and trying to get back since.

rocklock
01-13-2013, 10:49 AM
You sound like me... I am a native of Washington but raised in Fresno... But you need to go where you have opportunities. Good luck! Living in a log home with no mortgage is another opportunity.

Zetmandu
01-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Welcome medigus. Read all you can on this side. it will help prepare you for the class.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Welcome Medigus and see you in the March class!! Can't wait!

localfiend
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Howdy folks,

After a bunch of lurking and reading I've just signed up for the march class. I hail from the dry side of Washington and hope to get a piece of land and start building within a couple of years.

loghousenut
01-20-2013, 01:45 AM
Welcome aboard friend... I mean fiend. You came to the right spot.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Welcome to the "nut hut"!! No wait that's LHN's home. Welcome aboard Localfiend I'll be attending class with you in March!

Fireman Joe
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Hello Steve,
First timer and at the beginning of my research. Like sap from a tree, you folks are dripping all over with good solid knowledge! My excellent questions to local contractors have put them on the defensive and I credit you folks. Thanks! Now I don't look like a total ignorant fool and his money! I speak with confidence and it keeps builders honest.

So my question is ....
what are the concerns that I should be considering building a butt and post style log cabin in the snow-belt of Mt. Hood. The area allows me to ski right down to Government Camp to my potential site. I have not attended a class yet, but I am moving my schedule around to try and make the May class. (unless the may class is already full?) I do understand that roof lines are extremely important and weight factors per square inch got to be right! There are other log cabins up there, but they were built by the Steiners years ago. (google Mt.Hood Steiner Cabins on Mt Hood).

I just want to be aware of what I am in for. I want to take this class so I can supervise my own project and then understand what I have to do after it's built. Mt. Hood (Government Camp) does not allow DIY's in the snow-line due to the heavy snow falls every year. Collins Lake Condo's, on Mt. Hood, was perfect proof 3 threes ago that building without mountain knowledge can be dangerous and expensive!

Thank you very much,
Joe Horton

localfiend
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Butt and pass style homes are incredibly strong. I should think you can build to handle just about any snow load, and it'l be far cheaper than stick frame if you do it right. You just need to talk to the right engineer. Take the class, I just took the march class and it was worth every penny. You'll have access to resources that can get you set on your way.

David Harrison
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Hi, this is David and Kelly Harrison. We were both present at this last LHBA course in Las Vegas at the beginning of March. Would like mebers area access please so I can check it ALL out.

We will be moving up to Alaska this August and will build there. Looking forward to it!

edkemper
03-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Remember, you are asking about a location that would be very difficult to get lumber to. Trees on the other hand, you might find in the area (smiling). I can't imagine a better choice for the area. Can't imagine a stronger alternative without a hole bunch of problems to overcome. Sounds like an amazing place.

localfiend
03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Hi, this is David and Kelly Harrison. We were both present at this last LHBA course in Las Vegas at the beginning of March. Would like mebers area access please so I can check it ALL out.

Go here:

http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?8564-How-to-get-into-the-member-s-section

And fill out the form linked in the first post. It's how I go on the members section.

glennrhughes
03-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Hello Steve,

My wife Nancy and I attended the last class in Las Vegas a week and a half ago. We are both waiting to get into the members forum. We both have applied for entrance into the forum.

I am about four years away from retirement and have purchased land in Pagosa Springs, Colorado to build a retirement summer cabin. We currently live in Dallas, Texas.

We both enjoyed your class and are trying to become more educated in building a log home. I have wanted a log cabin in Colorado for many years and it is starting to look like it will happen.

I look forward to talking to people on the members side.

Glenn Hughes

panderson03
03-12-2013, 07:00 AM
welcome aboard Glenn and Nancy. my aunt has a place in Colorado springs. lovely weather over there!!

Shawn G
03-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Hi all, attended this month, it was all and more that I expected. I have a couple of acres 9000 feet up near the San Isabel national forest. Hoping to build a drive and a septic system this year, get all my tools and find some really cheap wood. The bad thing about all this is I only have 1 yr to build as the land is in a private area. So, I have to get all my ducks in a row when the logs fall off the truck. I hope to go as simple as possible, will maybe do the 30 x 30 with a loft. I am glad to be a part of the lhba.
Shawn G.

panderson03
03-13-2013, 08:57 AM
welcome Shawn. you sure do have your work cut out for you. look for posts from Fireman9. he's got an ambitious timeframe too!

loghousenut
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
We need to screen out all these industrious young newbies. Making me look bad.

A hearty welcome aboard Shawn, but if you build at that pace would you please keep my Wife from finding out about it. A divorce at this age would be devastating to her.

BoFuller
03-13-2013, 04:26 PM
We need to screen out all these industrious young newbies. Making me look bad.

A hearty welcome aboard Shawn, but if you build at that pace would you please keep my Wife from finding out about it. A divorce at this age would be devastating to her.

You know there wouldn't be anyone left if they screened out everybody that makes you and me look bad.

Well, there would still be cousin Tom.

loghousenut
03-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Yup.... Tom is dependable in that respect.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

histriumph
03-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Hello All,

Chris here from NC.
I plan to attend the class later this year and look forward to it.
You all have been the best in encouraging everyone to go for it.
I'm going for it :)

I plan to build in Western NC and start as soon as I can get to the class.
Well there's also the little issue of selling my current home.

LogHomeFeverDan
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO Another soon to be LHBA member who's going to build in WNC!!! Welcome aboard histriumph where abouts you planning on building??
You will love the class!!! It's a very exciting journey!! You won't have to wait quite as long as me. It'll be here before you know it though.

histriumph
03-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks LogHomeFeverDan.

I haven't decided on a location for certain but currently looking at Henderson,Transylvania, and Polk counties.
Land prices are insane around herel

LogHomeFeverDan
03-17-2013, 10:48 AM
You got that right, whodda thunk dirt would be this valuable. Keep looking the dirt for you will appear! Welcome to the addiction!

blane
03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Come and pay me a visit just up the road in Haywood county after you get the to class.
Thanks LogHomeFeverDan.

I haven't decided on a location for certain but currently looking at Henderson,Transylvania, and Polk counties.
Land prices are insane around herel

Jordan
03-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Hello Everyone!

My name is Jordan and I am in the research phase of my future log home. I grew up in a log home and have always wanted to build my own. I am out of MD and am hoping that there is someone who could help me to decide who to order my logs from. I am a general contractor and have the people to help me build the home, however I cannot seem to determine the best supplier of the logs. I am attempting to keep costs down by putting the package together myself, but I want to be sure to get my logs from a quality distributor that doesn't charge a small fortune. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Thank so much to all.

loghousenut
03-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Delve a little deeper into this forum, Jordan. You'll see that we offer a different way to "put the package together".

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Rafters9-2010149.jpg

trampster
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Glenn,
My wife Patty and I are attending the class over Memorial Day and we are looking at land near Pagosa Springs in the Lower Blanca River Valley. Have you started to build yet? Where is your land situated?

Blondie
03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Welcome Jordan,

LHBA really doesn't accept logs from distributors. We prefer to obtain our logs from individual loggers. We use plain, unmilled, peeled logs. We can even use green logs. No, we are not concerned about shrinkage......yup it is true. You have indicated that you are a contractor......wallllll building a butt and pass log home is very different from stick building.

Blondie

LogSmackin
04-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Hello, greetings from Georgia!

My name is Tom, I stumbled across LHBA last week and I am very excited to get myself to a class ASAP. Unfortunately I cant make the next class so hopefully I will be able to this Fall. I have always wanted a loghome and now after reading endlessly through the rookie forum I am ready start the journey to make this a reality. Well, just wanted to say hello. I will continue to creep in the shadows for now......

loghousenut
04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Mr. Smackin,

Welcome. You are starting at the exact point that the rest of us started at.... You wanna build your own log home with your own hands. It'll happen. Just a matter of time and commitment. Keep lurking and take the class as soon as you're able. We'll try to keep you inspired.

AkChas
04-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Hello Everyone!

My name is Jordan and I am in the research phase of my future log home. I grew up in a log home and have always wanted to build my own. I am out of MD and am hoping that there is someone who could help me to decide who to order my logs from. I am a general contractor and have the people to help me build the home, however I cannot seem to determine the best supplier of the logs. I am attempting to keep costs down by putting the package together myself, but I want to be sure to get my logs from a quality distributor that doesn't charge a small fortune. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Thank so much to all.

Hi Jordan - You came to the right place, if you want to do a quality log home at minimal cost (or not so minimal if you choose -- but certainly do-able very inexpensively). The key to realizing this however, will be doing things "smart", thinking outside of most peoples' "norms", etc.
I'm also in Md (well, when I'm not somewhere else on the planet -- which sounds logical, but it happens that I'm often away). If you want to save a TON of money and realize your dream of building your own log home -- without a mortgage.......Spend $800 and TAKE The LHBA CLASS. It will save you 20x that much, if you were not to take the class. It truly was the BEST investment I made in Myself, since college!
We get our logs from ANY source from whom we can get the right ones, at the right price, in good condition and to the property/build site of our choice. So there really is no One Answer to your question. In The Class, you will learn ALL KINDS of things (including where to possibly find cheap logs), that will save you lots of time, money and heart-ache.
Keep poking around here. Read tons of posts that you have access to. Then RUN (don't walk), to the next available class that you can get in to (there's only 3 or so per year, by the way -- Oh! And they fill up REAL Fast).

Cheers Jordan -- Enjoy the ride :)

talkstosquirrels
04-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Hello,

My name is Patrick. Hoping to book the May class. Loggin in North GA. Just posted my first post surrounding indigenous pine ad what my options are.

Thanks for the platform!

rckclmbr428
04-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Welcome talks to squirrels, i eat squirrels!

loghousenut
04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
If we are now inviting in folks who are named for animals that Rcklmbr has eaten I suppose we'll be hearing from talkstopossums and talkstoroadkill....

Sorry Ronnie,I couldn't let that one slip past without swinging at it....

Welcome aboard talktosquirrels!

donjuedo
04-15-2013, 04:30 PM
That's OK. But it would be impolite to talk (to squirrels) while your mouth is full (of squirrel).

;-)

I couldn't resist.

Peter

rckclmbr428
04-15-2013, 04:43 PM
You havent lived till you've eaten possum, just saying...

blane
04-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Squirrels I can do, but opossum, I don't think so.

Log Al
04-15-2013, 06:19 PM
I thought you were supposed to play with possums ? Wait that was " Playing Possum "

rckclmbr428
04-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Opossum, it'll cure what ails ya!

rreidnauer
04-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Opossum, it'll cure what ails ya!Cure, or cause?

loghousenut
04-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Seems to me the subject at hand oughta be possum roadkill and how it tastes.

marronnin
04-16-2013, 12:04 AM
You guys are impossumable!

TheBeak
04-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi, my name is Rich, and we are looking to give up the in town thing and get started with an off grid home. I have been lurking for a few weeks and have no joined to better interact with the forum. Thanks for the info so far, soaking it up like a 10 year dry sponge!

AkChas
04-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Welcome Rich! You've made a good first step in the journey. Enjoy the ride!

rreidnauer
04-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Yep, like Chas said, good move joining the forum. We got folks of all walks of life here, and still manage to have so much in common. Definitely a good pool of knowledge, and the public side of the forums is just the tip of the iceberg. Soak it in, and don't be shy about contributing your own knowledge and opinions.

LogHomeFeverDan
04-29-2013, 05:22 AM
Welcome aboard Rich! I think you'll find most all here are fatigued with the "rat race" and seek to return to a more "country" way of life. It's intoxicating for us to consider the enjoyment we'll derive from not only building our own LHBA home, but becoming self sustainable. Read often, ask questions, but most of all enjoy!

DXT
05-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Scott. I live in Wisconsin and i'm in the process of drawing up the plans for our log home. I have yet to get in a class but i'm thinking maybe this fall or early next year. Looking to build in the next couple years. Seems so far off but there is much to do on my end. I'm getting antsy, but will not rush the planning and preparedness stage.

loghousenut
05-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Rush it as much as you want to Scott... your plans will change for the better after class. Welcome aboard.

LogHomeFeverDan
05-03-2013, 05:01 AM
Welcome aboard Scott!!! Or should I say,......."howdy neighbor, oh ya hay doncha know!" Where in 'sconny??? I was hatched there. I'm juxtaposed now in South Carolina. Spent my younger years in the SW Corner on Old Man River! Yes still a die hard bleed Green and Gold Packer fan! Could also use a good supplier of curds and REAL 'Sconny brats!! They just don't make em the same down here, even the ones they ship to the grocery stores.

Anywho, I hope it thaws out up there and again, welcome!

talkstosquirrels
05-03-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm registered for the May 25-26th class! See yall there.

AkChas
05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm registered for the May 25-26th class! See yall there.

Good Move TTS! Be seein' ya on "the other side". :)

Pinecone_Grenades
05-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself as my wife and I are scheduled for the May Class. We have loaded up the mules and wagon and have started towards Nevada. I hope we make it on time.

LogHomeFeverDan
05-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Congrats on taking the plunge Pinecone_Grenades and Talktosquirrels! Ya'll are in for a treat!!

Pioneer_Living4us
05-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Hello All!

My name is Nichole. My husband and I have been researching this site for quite some time now. Reading the forums, looking at pictures and learning lots of great info. We can't wait until we'll be able to attend a class, we're shooting for this fall.
We'd like to build our log home in Northwestern Montana with in 2-3 years. Looking forward to learning a lot and getting to know all of you along the way!

LogHomeFeverDan
05-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Welcome aboard Nicole and Casey!! I think you'll enjoy getting to know the folks here. As always read much and ask questions. The class really is a SUPERB experience!

Pioneer_Living4us
05-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks Dan! My husband's name is Casey; Let's not share that I forgot to add that. I already have numerous things I will be never allowed to forget, like the time my husband and I were discussing bats. I made the mistake of saying " Bats don't have ears" -straight faced and all. I immediately tried to recant that statement to no end... However, it was futile to do so and I knew it. That one, tiny statement will forever live on in my husband's mind, just waiting for the ever-so-perfect moment of exploitation.:rolleyes:

LogHomeFeverDan
05-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Say wha???????? I watch Major League Baseball a lot and I've NEVER seen a bat with ears???? <full body head tilt>

PS, re read my previous post, Casey will never know.

Pioneer_Living4us
05-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Say wha???????? I watch Major League Baseball a lot and I've NEVER seen a bat with ears???? <full body head tilt>

PS, re read my previous post, Casey will never know.

Exactly my point! lol

Although, in all fairness I have to say we are very blessed. I married my best friend! And we truly are that....the only downfall? Well, when you, your hubby and y'alls "crew" have been the best of friends since young childhood...oh the stories they can tell! Never-ending supply of Ammo!

We truly are looking forward to getting to know all of you folks.

BTW- Thank you very much LHFD!!

LogHomeFeverDan
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
LOL Sound like you have a WONDEFUL Crew, ya'll will fit right in here! Laughter heals, literally. Good <ahem> "stories" cause more laughter as the story ages.

spiralsands
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Just got my mortgage statement in the mail like I do every month....Best reason to build your own house? How about $952.57 dollars in interest to the corporate bank on a monthly basis, eh? My brain fries every time I open this envelope...

frances

BenB
05-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I hear ya Frances. Big part of why I elected to hire out some to get done faster. Any way I cut it now I am cutting that interest by 70%. I'll fret the amount I owe when the big one is gone, maybe cash it out with proceeds...or not. (??)
My house and the supporting mortgage served me well for years - thankfully tax code made the burden not so painful all in all and that's the way I looked at it. Guess in a way it "welfare" for those of us who itemize on return.
If I had been smarter waaaaaaaay back and built outside the metro on a 160 acre plot we had I could still be on it and yet be a multi-millionaire too just by selling part of it. I wasn't. My sister, however, was. lol
Happy for her. I just made a bad choice in hindsight. One of a million at that!

You started yet this year on the "little house" or still to wet? Keep me posted - you are smart on the way and manner you are moving along.:)

spiralsands
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Daughter and I put up a couple of tents to store our camping stuff and we've been working on doubling the width of the driveway access at the road so a truck can pull in. I only had 10 narrow feet over the culvert and now I have 20' but gotta still build it up a little more. (This weekend.) Then I'll be ordering my lumber for the framing. My daughter has a full time job now and is always doing something for the fire department so I don't get much of her time anymore. I'll have to work a little smarter if I wanna get that 24 foot wall standing up on its own by myself.

Tmere72
12-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Hello, name is Tom. We have property in Creede Co and have been looking at modular log cabin kits. We want a small cabin--say 1000 square feet. Lots of kit manufacturers, just looking for any input from people who have built a modular cabin. Thanks in advance

tmere

panderson03
12-17-2013, 05:03 AM
hi there Tom. welcome to the LHBA forums! when we stumbled on to LHBA, we were looking for info on kits too:) not sure many here have experience with modular type building. worth asking though!!

John W
12-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. There are a few guys on here that have experience with kit homes, but I think most of them have spent time working for people who own them and are making repairs. I think on the home page of this website, down at the bottom is a block with some articles in it. One of them is why not to buy a kit home. This site is all about building your own cabin using whole logs and butt and pass corners, using information gained in a jampacked two day class. So take some time and read those articles and a bunch of forum threads. I think just about everybody on here will gently, or not so gently, try to steer you away from kit homes and into making your own cabin that will last for generations. So keep an open mind, do some reading, have fun and again, welcome to the forum.

rckclmbr428
12-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Modular cabins are just standard homes with log siding, Nothing different about them then that

AkChas
12-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. There are a few guys on here that have experience with kit homes, but I think most of them have spent time working for people who own them and are making repairs. I think on the home page of this website, down at the bottom is a block with some articles in it. One of them is why not to buy a kit home. This site is all about building your own cabin using whole logs and butt and pass corners, using information gained in a jampacked two day class. So take some time and read those articles and a bunch of forum threads. I think just about everybody on here will gently, or not so gently, try to steer you away from kit homes and into making your own cabin that will last for generations. So keep an open mind, do some reading, have fun and again, welcome to the forum.

I couldn't have said it any better -- Well said, JohnW!
Tom: You too have now stumbled upon a site that may very well change your 1) Way of thinking, 2) Ideas of log home living; and 3) Your Life!
As John suggests -- poke around the open-side of the forum and the many, many threads there-in. Read lots, ask questions, absorb all you can.
Chances are (depending on your interests, desires and determination), you too may take the plunge by attending an LHBA class and start a whole new journey.
(This, from my own personal experience, and continuing journey.......). Godspeed!

loghousenut
12-17-2013, 07:49 AM
I couldn't have said it any better -- Well said, JohnW!
Tom: You too have now stumbled upon a site that may very well change your 1) Way of thinking, 2) Ideas of log home living; and 3) Your Life!
As John suggests -- poke around the open-side of the forum and the many, many threads there-in. Read lots, ask questions, absorb all you can.
Chances are (depending on your interests, desires and determination), you too may take the plunge by attending an LHBA class and start a whole new journey.
(This, from my own personal experience, and continuing journey.......). Godspeed!

I agree with Chas and John... You could build a real log home.

Hari
12-18-2013, 04:06 AM
Hello,
my name is Hari. I just purchased a lot in Sierras and look forward to learning more about building a log home.

John W
12-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Hi Hari. Lots of information, even here on the non-member side.

loghousenut
12-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Don't let John pull you astray, Hari.... He hasn't seen the members side of the forum yet. That's where the action is.

The joke section alone is worth the price of admission (that's the section where I've posted Bo's baby photos).

Take the class.

Hari
12-19-2013, 04:52 AM
Love the humor in this forum. Keep up the fun part! Happy Holidays everyone!

lilbluehonda
12-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Where in the Sierra's are you at

BoFuller
12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Love the humor in this forum. Keep up the fun part! Happy Holidays everyone!

Beware of the posts from "loghousenut". There is a reason he has that name. He tends to drift to the dark side of our family tree. :)

Hari
12-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Tuolumne. It's located 5 minutes south of Twain Harte. I purchased a "rough" .50 acre of lot. It's in a subdivision.

rreidnauer
12-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Beware of the posts from "loghousenut". There is a reason he has that name. He tends to drift to the dark side of our family tree. :)And let's not forget he has the title of "The Conductor" (http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?11388-LHN-quot-The-Conductor) but he's much more talented at derailing! :rolleyes:

BoFuller
12-19-2013, 03:34 PM
And let's not forget he has the title of "The Conductor" (http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?11388-LHN-quot-The-Conductor) but he's much more talented at derailing! :rolleyes:

I love it Cuz!

loghousenut
12-19-2013, 09:04 PM
How is it that a poor old innocent bystander like myself can get so much bad press.

Just make sure you spell the name right...

Tom Featherstone
12-20-2013, 02:15 AM
How is it that a poor old innocent bystander like myself can get so much bad press.

Just make sure you spell the name right...

Innocent? Hardly! Old? Absolutely! "The Conductor" has ran more trains off the track than anyone in the history of LHBA..

John W
12-20-2013, 05:20 AM
The Derailer?

RockyRaccoon
12-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Hello all. Me and my wife attended the course what seems like about 8 yrs ago. Been through some rough times, but we're still standing. Building my own log cabins has been a long-time dream, so it's something I'm going to focus on in the coming years. Starting to look at land nearby in South Carolina that seems ideal for what I want to do. If anyone if breaking ground in South Carolina, and putting their home together, I would like to help build to get my hands wet if I'm available.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello again. Glad to see everything is still up and running.

panderson03
12-27-2013, 09:09 AM
welcome back RockyRaccoon! glad you checked in and that the dream is still alive :) sorry to hear about the tough times but sounds like you're doing OK!
SC is beautiful:) Happy New Year:)

loghousenut
12-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Another Rock comes home to roost. Get things straightened out and get to building. If you're real nice to me I'll let you finish before I do.

RockyRaccoon
12-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks. Yes this is something I plan to do or die trying. I'm attending some employment training in January, but after that, I'll be on the hunt for some land nearby. Still haven't decided if it's best to sell the house I have or keep it as a backup plan. I'll try to figure that out in February.

Thankyou for the hellos.

Mosseyme
12-28-2013, 02:14 PM
We are in WNC, maybe to far to come help but welcome back, best wishes for a New Year that will lead to fulfilling your log dream.

RockyRaccoon
12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Thankyou. In the next coming year, it will be about getting onto a property that I can start the process of building on. For a while I will be taking care of getting some new employment skills that I have been interested in that I have to travel and/or pay for. After that, I would really love to come and help someone put their home together, if I am available, and even if it's a bit of a ways away. Any kind of work related to putting together a log home property will go a long way to rebuild up my confidence and get me motivated.

UncleBri
01-15-2014, 01:56 AM
Hari, you and I probably live fairly close to each other. I've been looking at lots in the Mt. Knight area. I'm new to the community, too--haven't taken the class yet. :)

loghousenut
01-15-2014, 07:34 AM
My Mother took the class. So did 2 brothers, a cousin, my Wife, and my best friend.

I think it's time for UncleBri to take the plunge.

Sorry Unc, I think we scared Hari away sometime before Christmas. He'll be back.

Welcome

mattharris5000
01-15-2014, 01:35 PM
My name is Matthew, I am currently in the research phase of securing land and building a cabin/homestead in the Alaskan Bush. I have not attended the class and am unsure if it is possible due to my limited resources (my entire income is my disability pay from the military) and with that I support a family of 6. I am currently considering the Butt and Pass method but with D-logs using a chainsaw mill to minimize excessive daubing and chinking. My main concern being livability in the shortest period of time due to severe weather extremes and short building season. I intend to use the pillar and post type foundation, with the entirety of the home built with resources from the land purchased from Alaska DNR with the exception of the concrete, rebar fastenings and windows. Therefore I would most likely be building with White and Black spruce which I have been unable to find on lists of acceptable building logs, hence my following question...are those types of logs efficient building materials? please bear in mind that the land that I have located is about 20 miles from the nearest road making it improbable and inefficient on my budget to bring in building materials besides what I can transport behind a snowmobile during winter months. Any constructive advice is welcome.
Thank you, Matthew

Prissy Pink
01-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Hey I'm new here. My husband and I have 13 acres on a hill here in middle Tennessee. We are getting excited about attending the class in March. I would love to know if there are any LHBA log homes in Tennessee. We live in the Nashville area.

rocklock
01-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Matthew... I am probably not the right person to respond cause I don't know about the pillar and post type foundation... Maybe you could start a new topic describing what this means, why it works and how frost thrust works in Alaska...

Log homes are heavy. Are there some options, like building a small starter home, then adding on until you get it the right size. I know that moss is used as chinking... I'm trying to think of the guy that built a home that's on TV... o well.

I don't like the idea of d-logs because there are so many options... Spruce logs are fine... I don't know the difference between black or white. I do know that they have a bunch of taper... which is not bad except when you try to make a d-log out of them... Think of stacking carrots. Taper is not a problem next to another carrot.

Any way, in construction you have three attributes fast, good and expensive... You get to choose two...

mattharris5000
01-16-2014, 03:19 PM
The pillar and post foundation per my internet research is simply cardboard tubes dug below the frost line and filled with concrete every 6-8' under the Sill Log, thus (ostensibly) allowing air beneath the home to aid in drying the underpinning.

The severe taper in spruce logs is the reason I plan to use D-logs simply milling 3 sides from each log so that they lay flat on the log below while allowing me to take full advantage of the 8" of insulating qualities of the log as (in my mind) the chinking/daubing would be the weak link in -40 temperatures, allowing for drafts and wind should any loss occur.

task
01-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Hiya Steve and all!!!!! Very nice forum, I look forward to cont my reading of your forums

Sarahax
01-17-2014, 08:29 AM
We are two ladies living in southern England. In 2009 we bought 15 acres of ancient woodland overlooking a pond, and last year bought the adjacent 15 acres. Some of the wood contains the remains of a Scots Pine plantation, planted by the Forestry Commission about 50 years ago. The plantation hasn't been well looked after, and doesn't have much commercial value. So we are gradually thinning it down, and plan to use some of the trees to build a small log cabin overlooking the pond. I'm afraid we won't be attending the class - as you are rather a long way from us! However the forum is extremely useful. All of the expertise in log cabins seems to come from the States - we don't have a tradition of building log cabins in Sussex. https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yP14kOoNUwE/Ud2vBGCq1iI/AAAAAAAAAys/JcWUTdLVumw/w413-h553-no/Photo0125.jpg

phlnrth
01-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi! I'e been lurking here for a few years and have finally ponied up and bought a seat in the March class. Looking to learn, dream, work and grow! I hope to add value to you all as time goes by.

Phil

panderson03
01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Hello Uncle, hello Pinky, Hello Matt, Sara, Task, Phil (can't forget PHIL!!) !! SO good to see so many new folks here! welcome aboard!

SARA a word of caution. not all info needed to build this way is on these public forums. much is reserved for class alone (and are discussed on the members side) :( take care. stay safe everyone.

loghousenut
01-17-2014, 09:37 AM
I was wondering if Ronbo could get a work visa.

Welcome aboard Phil of the North!

sdart
01-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Hello Sarah,
How lucky of you to have all that woodland! Land in the UK is not that easy to find, but I have been on the Woodlands websites and had a look around a few times. Now, if only the British Pound would collapse, it would be affordable for those of us in the rest of the world :) Land and housing prices remain so high in the UK that we see many British people coming to buy here in France (where we are at the moment), since it is much less expensive.

I'm sure your cabin will be beautiful-- the setting is certainly lovely!

rocklock
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
The pillar and post foundation per my internet research is simply cardboard tubes dug below the frost line and filled with concrete every 6-8' under the Sill Log, thus (ostensibly) allowing air beneath the home to aid in drying the underpinning.

The severe taper in spruce logs is the reason I plan to use D-logs simply milling 3 sides from each log so that they lay flat on the log below while allowing me to take full advantage of the 8" of insulating qualities of the log as (in my mind) the chinking/daubing would be the weak link in -40 temperatures, allowing for drafts and wind should any loss occur.

Check out my photo's. The space between the logs has more insulation value than the log it's self.
Think about building with carrots where you want to keep the top of every second carrot flat... If you are milling a highly tapered log on three sides, you will be wasting more than half the log, IMHO. A member not far from my log home built with bug killed spruce, hence it is very possible to use spruce with out whacking the heck out of them...

I googled "pillar and post foundation". Guess what came up? A log home built by one of our members in Darrington Washington...

The foundation you describe is referred to as using sono-tubes. I built a well shed that had an insufficient foundation. Its a long story... Don't ask. So I drove rebar through the bottom log, dug a hole for the Sono-tube, then poured the cement into the tube. Presto-instant foundation added. Then we went on to finish the 10 by 12 shed for my well. See pictures.

Anyway, there are more questions than can be addressed.

I have a good friend that is building on slab lava on the big island. She is using very small footer and a "U" bolt thing for attaching a 4 X 10 then the house... There are lots of ways to skin a critter...

Tarlin
01-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Hi everybody,
I come from Slovenia, a small and beautyfull country in Europe. I think it is 3rd in terms of percentage of wood coverage in Europe, and we have very high quality wood, so it was used for centuries to build traditional houses, until it was outlawed under the rule of Maria Theresia (19th century), so a lot of traditional knowledge was forgotten. Many methods were used, from, what you refer to as scandinavian, to method very simmilar to butt and pass, with chinking between the logs. In the countryside you can still find examples of this buildings more then 300 years old. I had a wish to build a loghome for many years, recently I have aquired a nice piece of land in the countryside, but i was never satisfied whit what was on the market in terms of log homes...until I found this site. The method makes perfect sense to me, and I will take the class in the future. unfortunatelly I cant take the march one, as I work as a commercial diver, and I am currentlly in China, but I will keep my eyes open for any future dates, and organize my schedule. I see that there are not many members from Europe, which is strange,... I hope to get to the next class and join the members section.

best regards, Ales

loghousenut
01-18-2014, 08:24 AM
I look forward to seeing you on the other side, Ales.

phlnrth
01-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Ha you liked that! :). Thank you for the welcome.

Prissy Pink
01-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Ha you liked that! :). Thank you for the welcome.

Good to hear of someone from Europe coming to the class. Just curious why was log home building outlawed.

Neuby
01-18-2014, 06:09 PM
My name is Isabelle and my husband Rik and I attended the class sometime in the fall of 1997. Rik attended again in 1998 taking 3 friends along. We were so impressed that we had to share this experience with others. We used to participate in the forums many years ago as RikandIsabelle. We are still looking forward to building our home, and just have had a lot going on in the past 15 years that prevented things from happening the way we thought they should. Getting older :) but are definitely encouraged by some of the fantastic work of other members. We also look forward to hooking up with some of the people we used to have contact with.

panderson03
01-19-2014, 03:05 PM
welcome back, Isabelle and Rik!!

eagle
01-19-2014, 03:18 PM
My name is Isabelle and my husband Rik and I attended the class sometime in the fall of 1997. Rik attended again in 1998 taking 3 friends along. We were so impressed that we had to share this experience with others. We used to participate in the forums many years ago as RikandIsabelle. We are still looking forward to building our home, and just have had a lot going on in the past 15 years that prevented things from happening the way we thought they should. Getting older :) but are definitely encouraged by some of the fantastic work of other members. We also look forward to hooking up with some of the people we used to have contact with.
It's never too late! where are you from? You may want to see about getting your member status changed to view the other side.

Tarlin
01-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Good to hear of someone from Europe coming to the class. Just curious why was log home building outlawed.

It wasnt the log home specifically, but the wood, so all types of wooden houses were outlawed, because of fire hazard, but that just lasted a few decads, then after the WWI it was legal again. And now its legal of course, but you need toadd insulation to your log home to meet the insulation/thermal properties code. But, many loghome owners just put it in the project and then «run out of money» and line in an «unfinished» house:)

Neuby
01-20-2014, 10:59 AM
We live in eastern Washington. Bought acreage there in 1998, got 160 logs at the time to build our house and a shop but at the time just weren't able to proceed. There was a lot of work preparing the land (building site, road, etc) and since the two of us did everything ourselves it all took much longer than anticipated. The logs are good for firewood and we are starting over beginning with looking for house logs. That about it in a nutshell :)

Neuby
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Thank you!

rawson
01-20-2014, 12:19 PM
We live in eastern Washington. Bought acreage there in 1998, got 160 logs at the time to build our house and a shop but at the time just weren't able to proceed. There was a lot of work preparing the land (building site, road, etc) and since the two of us did everything ourselves it all took much longer than anticipated. The logs are good for firewood and we are starting over beginning with looking for house logs. That about it in a nutshell :)

You got grit and a positive mindset, I'd wager a log home an shop will happen for you.

Neuby
01-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the encouragement!

rockinlog
01-26-2014, 11:21 AM
hello everyone this is my first post and i have been reading alot on this site good topics and really helpful people and i am soo looking forward to attending a class and eventually build my own log home hey neuby just curious are you near the okinogan highlands area? i have been looking at land on this website in that general area looks beautiful! anyway i look forward to doing alot of research on this site and learning thanks to all for the help!

bayou316
01-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Steve Millsap. I am currently in Missouri. I retired early in life at the age of 45. I am now 60. I lost my wife in December of 2011.

I have sang southern gospel throughout the southeast and southwest with a group based out of Louisiana. I am a original "Louisianaian" but have come to love Missouri.

I am very new to log home building and want to learn all I can as I am fixing to build my final home. Trying to see if I can learn. I have heard about nightmares concerning settling and that is why I am here.

Thanks.

StressMan79
01-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi Steve, you are in the right place... no settling in our buildings. Welcome.

rocklock
01-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Steve Millsap. I am currently in Missouri. I retired early in life at the age of 45. I am now 60. I am very new to log home building and want to learn all I can as I am fixing to build my final home. Thanks.
Steve;
Sorry to hear about your wife... My wife and I are going on 46 years... I would be, well never mind...

I am soon to be 70. My sons and I have built a log home. Look at my pictures... Do not think that you are too old.

Read all you can.

good luck

ivanshayka
01-27-2014, 01:07 AM
Welcome Steve and rockinlog. This is a good place for you to start. Read as much as you can and then consider taking a class. Next class is in March. You will her the "take the class" echo. There is a reason for that. But for now it's good to read bunch on settling issues on this forum. You can search specific threads/posts on settling. Read those and go on searching other info you are looking for. 60 years young is not bad, you can do it. Do you want a loghome or are u thinking stick build. If a log home, then this is the best place to be.

rockinlog
01-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Welcome Steve and rockinlog. This is a good place for you to start. Read as much as you can and then consider taking a class. Next class is in March. You will her the "take the class" echo. There is a reason for that. But for now it's good to read bunch on settling issues on this forum. You can search specific threads/posts on settling. Read those and go on searching other info you are looking for. 60 years young is not bad, you can do it. Do you want a loghome or are u thinking stick build. If a log home, then this is the best place to be. thank you very much ivanshayka for the warm welcome i look forward to getting to know some good people on here and learning!

Plumb Level
01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Hello Steve and Rockinlog - welcome to our forum. Read all you can on the public side, and then there is about 15 - 20 times more info on the members side. The only way to get there is to take the class. Whether or not you end up building using this method, taking the class will be enlightening and well worth the experience. Many things you learn you could apply to a stick-built home.

Steve - I'm building in central Missouri, where abouts are you?

rockinlog
01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Hello Steve and Rockinlog - welcome to our forum. Read all you can on the public side, and then there is about 15 - 20 times more info on the members side. The only way to get there is to take the class. Whether or not you end up building using this method, taking the class will be enlightening and well worth the experience. Many things you learn you could apply to a stick-built home.

Steve - I'm building in central Missouri, where abouts are you? thank you plumb level! i intend to take the class hopefully i can make the march class im only a couple hours away from vegas but i have no idea where im going to build yet but looking forward to the adventure as i retire in a few months!!

Mosseyme
01-27-2014, 06:35 PM
When thinking about and looking for land I would suggest you wait until you have attended the class. Many things change with the class and the one major thing that I wish we could have done differently would be to have the foundation done before getting the logs as Rod is doing. You never know what life will throw at you and how long the logs might have to wait to go on the walls. The less time the better.

rockinlog
01-27-2014, 07:27 PM
When thinking about and looking for land I would suggest you wait until you have attended the class. Many things change with the class and the one major thing that I wish we could have done differently would be to have the foundation done before getting the logs as Rod is doing. You never know what life will throw at you and how long the logs might have to wait to go on the walls. The less time the better.
thank you mosseyme! i appreciate the tip and due to finances the land will be bought after the class lol im really looking forward to attending and learning on this site thanks again!

chrism2029
01-27-2014, 08:35 PM
My name is Chris, I am from North Carolina and currently working in Afghanistan as a contractor. Cannot wait til get home to look for land and to attend the class. Will be home in June and hope to attend the class. Have always wanted a log home...

Mosseyme
01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Welcome Chris,
We are building in NC, as are several others. Be safe and get back here so you can get started.

rickwaldo
02-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Hey there, my name is rick! I plan on building a log home to retire in. Should be a lot of fun, if my dad were still here I know he would get a kick out of building one.
Just wondering, I keep seeing people mention "models", do I need to build a model of my log home before attending the class?
I don't have property yet but I believe I have an idea of what I want.

Tom Featherstone
02-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Hey there, my name is rick! I plan on building a log home to retire in. Should be a lot of fun, if my dad were still here I know he would get a kick out of building one.
Just wondering, I keep seeing people mention "models", do I need to build a model of my log home before attending the class?
I don't have property yet but I believe I have an idea of what I want.

Welcome RW, Don't build or buy before taking the class. Your ideas will change after class. Keep reading everything here, sign up and take the class.

loghousenut
02-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Welcome Rick!!! Some folks build a model after they have gone to class just to get the kinks worked out about how their home will go together. Some folks build a practice shed also.

Don't worry about it til you've gone to class.

hewman
02-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Hi all,
I live in Iowa and have just started gathering information and looking for a property to build. Seems overwhelming at first. Considering attending class in Vegas in march if there are openings. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Looking forward to learning all I can and it sounds like the class is the best way to get that done.
Chris

loghousenut
02-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Pull the trigger on Vegas. It'll help you to get them ducks all lined up in a row.

Timberwright
02-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Hello everyone! my name is Jeff, I am pleased to be here checking out everything. My younger brother and his wife want to build there own log home "with there own hands". This of course worries me! But it is completely possible! As they have come to me at least a dozen times with there ideas, their willingness to learn and so on, and on, and on.
So the last few times they visited my job sites I've noticed they have ironed out what style, size, and time frame, budget, and that they can apply themselves to their build. With there property in hand, and with standing dead lodge pole, some fir, and some oak they can draw from there own harvest to there build. ( I will fall them for them, but that is about all I can do as time isn't on my side! Mark (My Brother) and his wife have decided to keep it simple and go with butt and pass w/t horizontal bottom s/cope bearing on chink each round. I knew he was ready when he spoke of end copes, and vertical P-Chink.
On a few occasions I have attempted to teach him Scandinavian full scribe, top of the saddle shrink allowances, and such but that isn't for him, or any first timer! He even made attempts to do the traditional round saddle to 1/2 centerline and on and on..." he didn't do that bad, but an entire home, not hap!"
So his wife was asking about classes in Vegas, and will it help them beyond what I've taught them. I told them I would check it out, and here I am.... As a Master Timberwright and having built log homes for over 33 yrs I wish I could just drop everything and just help them build it, but my boss is a @#$%^& and that isn't happening either. My brother also lives in Western CO, around a days travel for them to your class. Jeff

loghousenut
02-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Jeff, I'll bet your brother and his bride would eat up every word uttered in LHBA class. They'd be like a couple of sponges soaking in as much as they could hold. Then they would know that they could build their own log home with their own four hands. They'd be plugged into the members side of this forum, talking to a gaggle of folks who went to the same class and are currently building (or finished building) their own log home.

The problem is, and don't take this as an insult, you'd be constantly trying to get them to make changes in the build that can throw a monkey wrench in the works. To you, the LHBA method will seem crude, rough, ugly, tasteless, and "just can't work".

To us, the LHBA method is the strongest, longest lasting way to build a log home and any fool can do it. To us this very simple system turns out a log home that a couple can be proud of, knowing that their Grandkids Kids may oneday grow old in it with all of the original wall logs still intact.

We like the fact that we do not have to allow for settling, and yet we will never lose a window. We woulbn't have it any other way... But I am sure you would hate it and that could be a real rub for your family.

I say if you can be the kind of brother who could allow your brother to build this way without letting him know that you hate it, then this could be their dream come true. They could build their house without a mortgage like we are. It could have WOW factor in a way that is different from the WOW factor incorperated in your builds.

Heck, maybe when it's done you could even honestly tell them how proud and impressed you are with what they have accomplished.

loghousenut
02-10-2014, 09:32 PM
One other thing. My only relationship with LHBA is that I took the class in 1981 and am currently building the home I will die in.

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 03:31 AM
Well hello, and Good Morning!

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 04:18 AM
....and as a note I've learned over time not to judge to quick, and as a log home builder myself there is always something out there I haven't done, very little I haven't seen in Log. Now as far as B/P goes, and non settling through deflective bearing to non or some what slotted corner posts is nothing new, as it was born out of safety and lifting not style! Even vertical log pilasters from grade beam off set into the inside of the log wall, typically this is used for log superstructures, but that to has been done in small cabins. Now ugly wont work with Mark at all, as he has seen how beautiful and efficient it can be when done right!
Now as the birth of Log building was out of necessity not style, it was fine in the infancy of Log Cabins over its hundreds and hundreds of years it has grown in leaps and bounds. Having said that their is a passion in building from nature, and a satisfaction in seeing what is possible! Over the years watching some of the Log home owners play some part in what were doing in their future dream home, and it is amazing watching them! I will spend some time this morning reading and possibly seeing some photos. Now for some more coffee.....

Blondie
02-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Timberwright,

You sound like quite a guy. You have SERIOUS personal history with log building and a brilliant mind. I salute your support of your brother and sis in law. Not many folks would commit themselves to such a large task and for themselves. I would personally urge you to take the class. The building method is just different enough from every other process that you will become very frustrated, I have no doubt that by noon on Saturday of the class you will sit back in your chair and have your lights go one. It is very logical and simple in an off handed way. It makes every other method look like building sidewards. One of our number helps folks with their builds. Last fall he and two helpers went from the top of the basement wall to completing the roof in 8 1/2 days on a 40x40. That is the shell not the whole cabin, mind you. Building with real whole and just peeled logs. In my humble opinion the class is worth the time, effort and boss hassle to go. The class is normally offered over a weekend so that working folks like you and me can take a plane in late on Friday and screech out late Sunday afternoon.

If you have questions, sing out and we will try to help.

Blondie

rocklock
02-11-2014, 09:32 AM
I knew nothing about almost everything. I took the class in May of 04. Started with the beginning of the forum... My first post was in this same thread about clearing land... on page one...
The point is if your willing to work hard, smart and use the knowledge presented, a rather good looking home can be the result. We are here to help. See my video and realize that I could barely operate a chain saw when I started... OBTW, I just turned 70 this month so age has little to do with building... Attitude is everything.

StressMan79
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi all,
I live in Iowa

Where in IA? I'm in Sioux Center.

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 04:36 PM
As a Lead Timerwright and Foreman for an International Log home builder I've build dozen's of handcrafted butt and pass, and that style is perfect for my brother and his wife to build (If you read my post) for all the reasons listed in my other posts above this is something they can do. Now as for me, I have a 4300 sq ft 20-24 inch Scandinavian Full Scribe I built 16 yrs ago. I really wish I could just drop everything and help them build it, but that isn't possible with my schedule.

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 04:40 PM
I knew nothing about almost everything. I took the class in May of 04. Started with the beginning of the forum... My first post was in this same thread about clearing land... on page one...
The point is if your willing to work hard, smart and use the knowledge presented, a rather good looking home can be the result. We are here to help. See my video and realize that I could barely operate a chain saw when I started... OBTW, I just turned 70 this month so age has little to do with building... Attitude is everything.

Great Work in your Vid, and your attention to detail is perfect!

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I have supplied Mark and his wife all the tools he will need to satisfy your timberwright shop steward, and I got them Husqvarna safety gear for Christmas. They have a couple of my Chainsaws to work with, one to carve H-T445, one for heavy work H-XP-562.
A few questions, is testing done by a structural forensics log inspector? How long is the class? Cost? What species and size will they be cutting, carving and stacking. Will they learn UBC Log requirement for there State or in general? How much of the course covers Grade Beams, steal tying, form setting, setting bolts, Pier Caps, and plan reading? and thanks for all of your responses.....

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 05:26 PM
there in Western Co, not sure what county, and Im not sure what there codes are there. I built a log home in Vail and they had great inspectors, but weak on code compared to Ca.

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Blondie, thank you for your post, a question? Did you type or miss type that the class was over a weekend?

Log Al
02-11-2014, 06:07 PM
I will eat my hat if this goes anywhere positive.:)

Blondie
02-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Timberwright,

The guys are giving me a bad time because they figure that with your experience and bright mind you will blow me off. I am going to take a big step and say that the class is a two day class over a weekend. Does it teach EVERYTHING we need to know about building a log cabin, of course NOT. But it does give enough information that you know where to find help. These blogs on the member's side are a great sounding board for those of us who need help. Please realize that "we" are not selling anything. No one will have their hands out for money or try to talk you into anything. Taking the class is your decision. IF you decide that the class has not been worth it you may ask for the tuition back. To this date no one has.

Blondie

Log Al
02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Blondie :) You have my greatest respect. You are kind and helpful.

Log Al

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Thank you Blondie, I appreciate your candor. Again thanks. For Mark and his wife this might very well be a great base for them to push on in building there log home. Thank you all!

eagle
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
As Blondie said(sorta), it is impossible to learn everything you'll need from a 2 day class, I was not expecting that. However, after I took the class it gave me a complete different perspective on getting this done, all in a positive way. It showed me that anyone can do it with no experience like me. I think with too much knowledge it may muddy the waters a bit for a first timer so if Timberwright keeps that in mind for Mark and his wife, all should work out fine.

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Mark and his wife will have to practice on a smaller scale on there own, and they can learn, and touch base with whom ever they meet here (Like minded) and at this school in Vegas. As far as blowing you, or anyone off, I wont. You all are very much on the right track with what Ive read in your forum, for what you want to do!!!. Nothing is gained by any kind of a pissing contest. I know that most of you, as you've stated are going after your dream of building your own log home! Most of you this is, or was your first Log, or home build period! Bless your hearts! Ive delivered your dreams, and mine to hundreds in my 33 yrs of building Log structures, from Pro Bass, Forestry, Mansions, to the personal warm cozy log cabins! Its a life we all choose and in that, we all win....

eagle
02-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Mark and his wife will have to practice on a smaller scale on there own, and they can learn, and touch base with whom ever they meet here (Like minded) and at this school in Vegas. As far as blowing you, or anyone off, I wont. You all are very much on the right track with what Ive read in your forum, for what you want to do!!!. Nothing is gained by any kind of a pissing contest. I know that most of you, as you've stated are going after your dream of building your own log home! Most of you this is, or was your first Log, or home build period! Bless your hearts! Ive delivered your dreams, and mine to hundreds in my 33 yrs of building Log structures, from Pro Bass, Forestry, Mansions, to the personal warm cozy log cabins! Its a life we all choose and in that, we all win....
Very respectable and well stated, thankyou

Blondie
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Thank you.

Blondie

Timberwright
02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Your all very welcome group! I look forward to telling him and his wife to get to class! He knows its hard work, and I know he will love it like I do, it isn't a job, its living all of our dreams together, some are just brave enough to do it themselves like you guys do,,, bravo forum.

blane
02-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your positive encouragement for what we are doing here. It is rare that we get that from a " pro".
I would enjoy seeing some of your work if you have photos.

Timberwright
02-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks, and I would be delighted to post some photo's. I am carving a Scan Full Scribe Bar today for a new home were snowed out of up north. I will take some photo's. I will also pick some others photos to post. As it pertains to the attitude of a professional Vs whom ever. In my view, and it has been my experience that respect is won and lost both ways! Be proud of what you guys or anyone is doing, but be forever reminded that all the methods in building log structures comes down to each of us as individuals being safe, and building it as instructed per plan. As far as what method is the best, that is of your individual taste and what you want! Timber applications very with every style. In all cases it will come down to the integrity of the structure, and its efficiency in many respects as YOU build it. I could go on for hours, but I wont. I have get carving.... type with ya later today....

rocklock
02-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Mark and his wife will have to practice on a smaller scale on there own.
Generally, our first build is a shed or some other small building... I built a shed for my well that includes a second story with a queen sized bed. The real strength of our way of building are two things, IMHO, the walls do not shrink (the logs do of course) and its well adapted for low skilled builders. My chain saw skills are or were poor but I can drill a hole and pound steel with the best.

Timberwright
02-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Generally, our first build is a shed or some other small building... I built a shed for my well that includes a second story with a queen sized bed. The real strength of our way of building are two things, IMHO, the walls do not shrink (the logs do of course) and its well adapted for low skilled builders. My chain saw skills are or were poor but I can drill a hole and pound steel with the best.

That is how I learned Dave, my Grandfather made me rebuild it three times as I remember it. (Just walls) I was 13 yrs old and I was only building 4 ft walls with "I think" 6 inch n-pine. It was a 6 ft by 6ft stack on dirt that i had to wedge after my first round. I remember I couldn't keep end center lines lined up (Center of Log), Oh boy looking back I was sure he was messing with me then, but he wasn't, he was teaching me the trade. I'm grateful everyday for that! Growing up under his heavy watch as I would screw up here and there was memories I will never forget. I remember him telling Grandma, "dont worry about firewood for for every mistake he makes he loads in the truck for firewood. By the end of my first summer working we had a few cords of firewood. lol

ivanshayka
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Is it peeled firewood. :) . That would be some clean firewood. Here is a pic of my first build. It's 10x10 tool shed. It's not complete. On outside it needs chinking. But I'm working on it slow. I stopped at one point and put all effort in the 2100sf log home, second pic is where I'm at now with a house. Thanks for your stories on learning your trade.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/ivanshayka/media/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg.html)

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/image-5-1.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/ivanshayka/media/image-5-1.jpg.html)

Timberwright
02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
lol, it was indeed, and guess who peeled most of them, ya me! Your rustic B/P 10x10 looks pretty clean. Good Job!

dazedandconfused
02-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Here is mine and I was of very little skill before and maybe even afterwards, but I ask and can follow directions, I had to have my logs graded and needed engineer wet stamp for my plans, it is over kill for sure. Here is my sort of finished home, still have wrap around decks and some other basic stuff, but it is doable even for someone like me.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb401/jweber52376/Log%20Home/DSC_0189-1.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/jweber52376/media/Log%20Home/DSC_0189-1.jpg.html)

panderson03
02-17-2014, 05:34 AM
beautiful, Dazed!

hewman
02-20-2014, 05:28 PM
I live in Des Moines but from southern Ia. Going to class in couple weeks!

panderson03
02-20-2014, 05:29 PM
welcome hewman:) we're living and building in MN

hewman
02-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Where in Mn? Have family in Afton.

panderson03
02-21-2014, 09:23 AM
we're building in Ottertail county!

stuarty
02-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Hello, my name is Stuart (Stu).... originally from the UK and now living in Alberta Canada. I've always wanted to build a log home and with the help of you guys I'm going to do it :)

Look forward to reading through everyone's stories...

panderson03
02-23-2014, 12:05 PM
welcome Stuart from Canada! we lost one of our own named Stuart just a few short years ago. nice to have another on board! there are others on this site from Canada who took the class and built. maybe one of them will reach out.
glad you found us! welcome

loghousenut
02-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Welcome Stu, Read, read, read. If you want to build your own log home with your own hands, you're at the right site (or is it rite sight?). Alberta's a big ole place, where are you?

ChrisBraley
02-24-2014, 03:51 PM
The wife and I just signed up for the class starting March 8th. Its been years of reading other member posts and waiting for this day !!! Can't wait to get my official LHBA Member tag next to my name !!! I joined a long time ago and used to talk to one of the other members "Kola" that I haven't see here recently. He has a Teepee up near my land I plan on building on some day soon. (Cripple Creek, CO). my account was so old it got blown away because I didn't use it enough I know this sounds crazy but I am so excited I feel like a little kid. Well I stop my online happy dance.. Cya on the other side.
-Chris

rckclmbr428
02-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Welcome Chris, Kola is back around on here and it as his place in Colorado. I will be out in Salida later this month working on a place there.

ChrisBraley
02-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks rckclmbr428
Maybe we can check out your place in Salida after we finish the class . :-)

rckclmbr428
02-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Gimme a shout, you can contact me through my signature

stuarty
02-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Hey Loghousenut, I'm here in Calgary on the west side of the city. As close to the mountains as I can get without actually living there. I'm addicted to this forum and will build a log home... was thinking about grabbing some land near Golden (BC) ... under three hours from here. Love this forum and can't wait to get the class under my belt. I'm already starting to bore most people I know of log home chat. :) Stu

Blondie
02-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Rockclimber,

You are doing another instant build, huh?!!!! Great! I can hardly wait for pix. How big is it...... One thing in counsel the weather this time of year is "changeable" and unforgiving at best.

Blondie

rckclmbr428
02-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Blondie, as of now I will be building at least 3, maybe 4 this summer. Colorado is just window and door cutouts and chinkinb

loghousenut
02-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Hey Loghousenut, I'm here in Calgary on the west side of the city. As close to the mountains as I can get without actually living there. I'm addicted to this forum and will build a log home... was thinking about grabbing some land near Golden (BC) ... under three hours from here. Love this forum and can't wait to get the class under my belt. I'm already starting to bore most people I know of log home chat. :) Stu

Stu... Funny thing about Golden. I fell in love with the place, some 40 years ago, when I spent some time there on a "round the wherever" motorcycle trip with my best old buddy, Neil. I always had it in my head that I wanted to immigrate to Golden and find a little chunk of heaven and just live there.

Then along comes a Honda Valkyrie and a handmade trailer and the Woman I love, and in 2006 we headed out for Canada and all the places I remembered from all those many years ago. We spent a lot of time in BC, and she really enjoyed the way I knew all the great attractions of Victoria. But I couldn't wait to get her into the interior a bit and explore with her the garden spot of the universe, Golden, BC.

What a DUMP! I found the motel where my buddy and I stayed after 3 days of solid rain... I found the laundromat where I had sat naked in the restroom while Neil washed everything I owned... I found that little beer joint where we had a few burgers and played a bit of pool... I found everything except the memory of the garden spot of the universe!

I think I know what happened. The first time there, Neil and I had been through motorcycle hell weather and when Golden appeared, suddenly the flowers bloomed and the bird sang.

On the 2006 trip it started raining in Golden and the Boss didn't quit whining until halfway through the Okanogan Valley on the way back to the States. She acted like the drowned rat that she looked like and I could do nothing right. I kept trying to be a good tour guide but all she could see was the rain and the gloom and what an idiot I was to ever bring her to that godforsaken spot without a motorhome or a cruise ship to hide in.

I think the country around Golden would most likely be a PERFECT place for a couple to build their log home. Sure glad I don't have to try to convince my Boss to pull up stakes and move there.

Funny thing how the little things in life affect the big things.

Blondie
02-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Rockclimber,

Your summer schedule seems to be a little spare. You have 3 confirmed cabins at 8.5 days each. That is a total of 25.5 days of work. hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I am I missing something? lol

edkemper
02-27-2014, 09:37 AM
I remember well a Canadian vacation with the family years ago. BC and Calgary. 21 days of camping. 20 days of rain and the most beautiful scenery and fishing a guy could ever ask for. My hope is that the area hasn't gone the way of most places here in the states.

Seabass
02-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Just call me Seabass... we have a small log home and want to add an attached greenhouse and also build a covered stairway and porch. I'm hoping to find information here about design/engineering and building/builders in the Pacific Northwest. Looking forward to reading your posts.

panderson03
02-28-2014, 03:00 PM
welcome,Seabass. glad you found us. others have added on additions to log homes built this way. what was the building method of your log home?

Cabincrazy
03-17-2014, 09:23 AM
HELP!!!!

We have just purchased 40 acres of ridges & ravines, wanting to build a cabin within the year. Found out prices to get water, power & septic. Oh lord! What are some alternatives? Anybody Please?

Blondie
03-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Okay, I will jump in. Power you can use solar panels for power. Water, you can truck in if necessary. But I would check out the laws in your state about drilling a well. See if the state requires you to be a licensed driller. Find out how deep the water table is.... Call a septic company or several excavation contractors and ask them about septic systems. Call the state and ask if you can put the septic system in yourself with their supervision.

Blondie

BoFuller
03-17-2014, 10:47 AM
We had septic put in, I have solar panels ready, and we haul water. Love it.

loghousenut
03-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Isn't anyone gonna say "Take the class"?

And where is this 40 acres, Mr. 'n Mrs. Crazy?

Cabincrazy
03-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Isn't anyone gonna say "Take the class"?

And where is this 40 acres, Mr. 'n Mrs. Crazy?

The 40 acres are in East Tennessee!

Cabincrazy
03-18-2014, 01:17 AM
Do you get all your power from solar panels? Stored in batteries? What brand of panels? Cost? What do you hold your water in? Thank you for any help! Cabin racy!

loghousenut
03-18-2014, 01:45 AM
The 40 acres are in East Tennessee!

It's too late for me to be up and it's 3 hours later for you. Maybe I'm Nuts and you're Crazy.

Making juice beyond the end of the power line is totally doable and there are several ways to do it, depending on water, wind and solar resources. You already have the land so all you have to do is get a generator out there and then start playing around with ways to make power cheaper and quieter. Subscribe to "Home Power" magazine.

Read everything in "Solar Power and Alternative Energy" here on this site and wake me up at noon tomorrow (I think I must mean TODAY!).

PS... So what kind of a cabin are you figuring on. That's the part of this thing that we are all good at.

Blondie
03-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Well Cabincrazy,

First you need to take the LHBA class. Mean while you need to dive into the web and do research. Learn how solor panels work, how to store power in batteries and how to use a generator. I purchased German made panels rather than Chinese made. I have purchased a 1500 gallon tank to store well water in. The well pump will be solor powered and will only run when solar power is available. Been looking a well pumps. kinda interesting. You have some time before the next class startes. After class there is alot here in the blog about solar power here. I have purchased 11 new Pella windoows of a Craigs list like site for $300.00. If you check prices most Pella windows start at $350.00.

Blondie

rreidnauer
03-18-2014, 09:22 AM
I hauled water (artesian spring a mile away) until I got my rainwater catchment system going. I'm currently using a combo of solar and generator, but will be going full solar/wind in the near future. I installed my own septic, but was still pricey on materials alone. (~$10k)

loghousenut
03-18-2014, 09:50 AM
If this all sounds overwhelming, just sit back and relax and know that it is only a series of steps in whatever direction you want to go. It can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be and it will never be over. It will be a very rewarding way to live.

Just think of all the poor saps who are sitting on a fake fur couch in an apartment somewhere wishing it were still the good old days when a couple could go out and build their own log home with their own hands. They just don't know.

On this site you'll meet people who can do anything they put their mind to.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Ridgepole7-7-10034.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Wow/Ridgepole7-7-10034.jpg.html)