PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

jrdavis
02-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Jim McK,
Welcome -- You find a lot of I.T. folks here. Some have even updated their profiles to reflect it. :)
We've have folks from all walks of life. CIO's to Preachers, Farmers to retired. Handicapped to brutes (like LHN)

So make yourself and home and we look forward to seeing you on the other side.

JD

John W
02-10-2012, 06:33 AM
To all the recent folks that are slightly older than me (I'm 50), you're keeping my dream alive! Like Danita, you rock! I know I won't be able to start for several years and think sometimes I started down this path too late. But it's just not true if you believe it will happen. It came from an unlikely source (I'm not a big fan of hollywood stars), but I seem to quote it fairly often. Will Smith was talking about his childhood and how his dad made the kids build a long brick wall over the summer that was the front of his shop. He said you don't have to build a wall in one day, but if you lay a couple bricks down every day, pretty soon it starts looking like a wall. So like Cruiser and others have said, break it down and do it piece by piece, and pretty soon, it's going to start coming together. And of course, step one, and I should follow my own advice...Take The Class.

ronwoodcraft
02-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks Timber, Photography is my main hobby right now. I have learned that taking advantage of the right lighting conditions helps a lot.

ronwoodcraft
02-10-2012, 07:54 AM
To all the recent folks that are slightly older than me (I'm 50), you're keeping my dream alive! Like Danita, you rock! I know I won't be able to start for several years and think sometimes I started down this path too late. But it's just not true if you believe it will happen. It came from an unlikely source (I'm not a big fan of hollywood stars), but I seem to quote it fairly often. Will Smith was talking about his childhood and how his dad made the kids build a long brick wall over the summer that was the front of his shop. He said you don't have to build a wall in one day, but if you lay a couple bricks down every day, pretty soon it starts looking like a wall. So like Cruiser and others have said, break it down and do it piece by piece, and pretty soon, it's going to start coming together. And of course, step one, and I should follow my own advice...Take The Class.

Yes, I like seeing these folks on here too. I'm 53 and have not worked with logs for 10 years.(Other than 1500+ pieces of rustic furniture.)

edkemper
02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
JimK,

Did you ever see the Cable "reality" show of the family of little people that built a pretty impressive farm in Oregon? Trust me, you can do it.

I'm 61 in a few days. I'm in the process of arranging for bilateral Total Knee Replacements this year. Then I have to get another round of surgery on both shoulders. I could pay for extensive rehabilitation or build my home. Trust me, you can do it.

Welcome.

Danita
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
ronwoodcraft, WELCOME! LOVE the picture! It literally took my breath! thanks.
So, so sorry about your wife. This is a great group of folks here to "chat" with. Thanks for sharing with us.
Do you have a link to photos of your furniture?
Your photo reminded me of Wyoming winters--beautiful! I lived up there a few lifetimes ago. Wouldn't want to again, but I'm glad I did it.

To all who are nearing 60 or above, I've been hearing for years that 60 is the new 40! Even if there are a few replaced joints we are still alive and dreaming!

Danita

ronwoodcraft
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
ronwoodcraft, WELCOME! LOVE the picture! It literally took my breath! thanks.
So, so sorry about your wife. This is a great group of folks here to "chat" with. Thanks for sharing with us.
Do you have a link to photos of your furniture?
Your photo reminded me of Wyoming winters--beautiful! I lived up there a few lifetimes ago. Wouldn't want to again, but I'm glad I did it.

To all who are nearing 60 or above, I've been hearing for years that 60 is the new 40! Even if there are a few replaced joints we are still alive and dreaming!

DanitaThanks Danita, I have a website, but I placed it on hold, since I don't have anything for sale. Also had a difficult time editing anything in it since my wife built the website.

I have lost a lot of pictures over the years due to computers crashing.

However I do have a few hundred pictures in photobucket. Unorganized and not public. I could start a thread and post some pictures, or make a sub album in photobucket and make it public. (Or both?)

Thanks for your kind words,

Ron

happyquilter
02-11-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm 58 and going strong. Just took up downhill skiing last year! My mom is 86 and vigorous. She still tent-camps with us, sleeping on the ground on a air mattress. So I figure I will enjoy our log home at least 30, maybe 40 years! Then it will be a lasting legacy for the generations to come.

Shari

loghousenut
02-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Danita

Heck, I'd be happy if 60 were the new 52!

I'll be 58 on the 15th of this month. If I can do it anyone can.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20ridgepole/P1000691.jpg

rocklock
02-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I just had my 68 birthday...
Stacking logs keeps me young... OBTW my BP is 110/70 today...
Shari, my wife is a quilter as well.... Do you have a long arm?
I was born in Tacoma in the same hospital as my mother and just down the road from where my grandmother was born... Have you folks looked for land in the rain shadow of Sequim? Getting 11 inches of rain in a temperate zone is very cool.

Kick Forward
02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Josh and I'm a recovering 9-5 worker slaving over a 30 year mortgage.

Just kidding, I'm currently still addicted... Ok, no more bad jokes.

I'm 30 and will be married for two years as of this June. My wife, Abigail, and I live in Eastern Pennsylvania, but we're planning on selling our home and moving to Kentucky where most of her family lives now. We've been looking at property for quite some time now, but our house is currently not ready to be put on the market, and with the economy how it is... not sure what to think, but I'm staying optimistic.

I'm a ux (user experience) designer and work from fairly large companies such as Adobe, Nike, Pfizer... I was definitely the artsy one of the family. My grandfather was a professional artist/photographer, but somehow that skipped over my dad's generation and I got a double dose of it. Growing up, I was also very good at math. Dare I say I even enjoyed it? My high school math reached did not care so much for me, in fact she kicked me out of two classes within the four years I had her. I think she mostly didn't care for the fact that I got regularly the highest grades in my graduating class, yet knew I never studied and really cared.

I went to community college after high school because I wasn't really sure I wanted to commit to a good four year college and studied art. I picked up web design as a degree and have been successful as a ui designer ever since. You can see some of my (older) work here: www.joshnittle.com (http://www.joshnittle.com) (I'm not trying to solicit work, just giving background). My work has been featured in top magazines, I've won tons of awards, and most recently, been featured on display at the Museum of Modern Art in NY.

All that aside, I'm not sure how much longer I can do this. I'm good at my job and it's hard to walk away when I'm able to provide for my family, but sitting behind a computer day in and day out is just zapping away my passion. I grew up an artist like I said, and being that I was naturally gifted in math, I thought I'd always be an architect. I've even doodled what I thought my dream house would be like as a kid and followed stories on architecture. I think building a house has always been in my blood, and hearing everyone's perspective on how they live really makes me feel at home here. I've just signed up for the next class this March and something inside me is telling me this is the beginning of a turning point in my life.

Well I'll stop blabbing on, I'm sure we'll all get to know each other in the years to come. Here's a short video trailer from our wedding our friend shot. We got married at my wife's parents' farm. A log barn is second on my list after my log house!
http://vimeo.com/12903770

- Josh Nittle

Danita
02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi Josh, I love weddings so I watched the whole video! and smiled. Thanks! see you in March...

Lukius
02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone,
My name is Matt. My wife and I will be buying 10--25 acres in early spring and plan to start a permiculture farm with the first major project being to build a cabin/home. I am 31 and my wife Lorren is 21, we have a 1year old son. I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning from each other over the next few years. Thank yo anyone who takes the time to read this.

panderson03
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
welcome to the forums, Lukius:) glad you found us!

irace2win41
02-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Welcome Josh and Matt!!

This is a great bunch of people and you'll never regret taking the class. I really think this is a life long learning experience.

Best wishes
Rod and Ellen

Kick Forward
02-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Oh I'm sure it's a life long learning experience. I can't even begin to understand half of what I read so far on the forum. But I can't wait - I haven't been this excited for a new change in a long time. :D

Hey Matt, I'm somewhat in a similar situation. I turn 31 this April, but my wife is a bit older than your's. She used to work for organic gardening magazine which is published by Rodale near by. She wants to buy a home in the middle of town, but I've been pushing her to look for property out in the country so we can have a farm. I've been reading Hobby Farms magazine for a while and found out that they are published near where we're moving. Abby thought it'd be funny if she ended up working there. I'm really interested in permaculture farming so I'm sure I'll be keeping a close eye on your 'build'. Where are you located, or will be purchasing?

Good luck!

edkemper
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Josh,

First a huge welcome.

> I'm really interested in permaculture farming

We're going to have to get to know each other. I might have some things to share toward sustainable farming. Ever hear of Extreme Composting? Kind of goes along with or helpful to permaculture.

Kick Forward
02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi Ed. I have a feeling it's human related. I just read the thread on poo power, and I finished dinner, so please spare me if it is. :p

Will you be at the class by any chance? I know they go over so much, but once thing I'm wondering is if I should buy land possibly with barns on it already or if I should build everything over the years from scratch...

JeffandSara
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
but once thing I'm wondering is if I should buy land possibly with barns on it already or if I should build everything over the years from scratch...

Hello, again, Josh--

Not sure what anyone else would advise, but if you can find property with a barn or other useful outbuildings that's suitable to your needs, desires, and funds, heck, I'd go for it. Why build something extra of you don't NEED to?! Building a house is a big enough project to start with for most of us (though you sound like you may be quite the go-getter :)). You may or may not have the time, energy and/or funds to get all the buildings you might eventually like done in a timely manner.

We had one existing building on our property, and except for needing some additional use permitting because of it, it's never brought any downside.

Best-- Sara :)

mickeyzalewski
02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi, I'm Michael and I'm new to the forum. I've thought for some time that the standard method of buying a home on credit and paying 3 times the value of your purchase over 30 years was not right. I'm curious and interested in possibly building my own home, a log home. I am 47 and would like to retire before I hit 60 and to own the home I live in. I have worked as a drywaller and framer and done odd construction jobs including roofing and painting throughout my career, so I feel like this may be a good fit for me. Right now I am still investigating because honestly, this just sounds too good to be true. If I am still convinced in a few months - I hope to attend the next available class at that time.

Timber
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
mickeyzalewski drywall bad :mad: log home good :D

Cruiser
02-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Mickey, welcome...and keep reading! I think you will find that the more you read, the more you will understand how much sense the LHBA style home makes. We look forward to having you around.

mickeyzalewski
02-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

jrdavis
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey mickey --
where were you when I had a 120 14'ft's to hang?
Man that was the worst 4 months of my LIFE!!!!
drywall, tape, mud, sand, finish sand, final sand, 500W light sand.... UGHHH.
Welcome to the forums.
JD

donjuedo
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Sheetrock is hard, but not as hard to do as I first made it. Here's a great site for reducing work and getting great results: http://drywallschool.com/

Peter

happyquilter
02-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Micky, I was skeptical too. I'm less so now that I have looked at every picture in the gallery, read just about ever word in the forum, taken the class, bought our plans, and bought our land. My husband and I retired just a few months ago in our mid-late 50's. We will be building a vacation home. The way we look at it is that instead of spending money on expensive vacations or cruises, or buying an RV that will depreciate and cost a fortune in gas, we are building something of lasting value. It will be fun to build and to enjoy afterwards, and we can leave it to our future generations to enjoy forever. Or we can sell it at some point and I am already SURE we will make a nice profit because we did the research. The cost of the land and the build is easily $100,000 less than what similar neighboring properties with less special cabins have sold for in the last two years - since the real estate crash. Another possibility for us is to eventually live there full time and sell or rent out our main house. I have a finance/accounting background and trust me, I plan to account for every single cent involved in the process of building our log home, including the costs of traveling to and taking the class, every tool bought or rented, etc. Not just land and raw materials. So if you want to wait about two years I will be able to tell you definitively whether or not the program works, lol! Meantime, we will be having a great retirement, being mentally and physically active, with a shared hobby, new skills, new friends, etc. I forgot to mention that we are very outdoorsy and our property is in the heart of one of the best outdoor recreational areas in the country (in our opinion). We will have lots of fun "fun" as well as fun "work."

In conclusion - do the research and give thought to what you want your retirement to be. This is not for everyone, but it could be perfect for you like it is for us!

Shari

ALLTHAT
02-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Anna, I attended the January 2012 class with my older sister and my Dad.
Our family is currently looking for property to build on in northern Arkansas. Our family building crew consists of my Dad, my Mom, my older sisters Katherine she is on the forums as jot and Rebecca. I will be graduating high school in June, I was home schooled all the way! Building our own home has always been a family dream, now we will be fulfilling it. We went to our first auction today! Didn’t get anything, but it was fun. We will be going to a lot more auctions and ever flee market for miles around, looking for all the supplies we need for building. Looking forward to being on the forums and getting to know everyone. :D

JoeboyDH
02-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Greetings all! My name is Joe, I am 19 years old and very interested in building my own log cabin. Although i have no skills or money yet i do have determination i learned from moving around all my life being an Army Child and Wrestler. I am willing to work hard to fufill what i want in my life which is a happy one. I am very much wound up in what most people would consider the pioneers life. Raised in NC, Germany, Louisiana, MD, Arkansas, and Virginia i have always been a more of a rural kind of guy. I enjoy working in the woods and wearing over alls and my grandpa's suspenders. I am hopefully going to be attending a class relatively soon once my dad gets back from afghanistan and we move out west to arizona. At which point i will be much closer to your classes in las vegas. I look forward to learning and gaining more information and friends. thanks all, best of luck. Joeboy

panderson03
02-18-2012, 04:34 PM
welcome to our LHBA family Joe:) all my thanks to your father for his service to our country, and thanks to your family as well for its sacrifices!

StressMan79
02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Not to be flippant, but LilJoe can get USAA auto insurance now!!!

Seriously, welcome to the forums.

JoeboyDH
02-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Not to be flippant, but LilJoe can get USAA auto insurance now!!!

Seriously, welcome to the forums.

Funny you say that, i do indeed have USAA insurance and banking and it's great i'm glad they give back to the services. And thanks for the welcome guys. I can't wait to get closer to my dream that is one day building my own cabin and longboards. I am soon going to apply for school this coming spring at the local community colllege. Any recommendations as far as classes go i.e. (drafting, woodworking or construction) i have always been involved in shop class and have been good with my hands but i feel like i need the resources to tools more than anything. Where did you guys all start?

Timber
02-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Anna, I attended the January 2012 class with my older sister and my Dad.
Our family is currently looking for property to build on in northern Arkansas. Our family building crew consists of my Dad, my Mom, my older sisters Katherine she is on the forums as jot and Rebecca. I will be graduating high school in June, I was home schooled all the way! Building our own home has always been a family dream, now we will be fulfilling it. We went to our first auction today! Didn’t get anything, but it was fun. We will be going to a lot more auctions and ever flee market for miles around, looking for all the supplies we need for building. Looking forward to being on the forums and getting to know everyone. :D

Howdy..sounds like you will be starting sooner than later...great. Keep us posted on your progress:cool:

jrdavis
02-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Welcome Anna --

I remember seeing you all chiming in after you went to class.
Its great to see the family doing this together.

I have seven children and have 2 left to home school.
They are 11 and 7.

welcome aboard.

JD

lildrestl3
02-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Hello Everyone Dave here in St Louis Mo. Looking for 5 plus acres of land now and want to build a cabin on it.

panderson03
02-23-2012, 08:33 AM
you've come to the right place:)

ALLTHAT
02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Howdy..sounds like you will be starting sooner than later...great. Keep us posted on your progress

Thanks for the welcome! I said we did not get anything at the auction but we did, a cold!
Have not found what we are looking for in property yet.

Greetings all! My name is Joe, I am 19 years old and very interested in building my own log cabin. Although i have no skills or money yet i do have determination i learned from moving around all my life being an Army Child and Wrestler. I am willing to work hard to fufill what i want in my life which is a happy one. I am very much wound up in what most people would consider the pioneers life. Raised in NC, Germany, Louisiana, MD, Arkansas, and Virginia i have always been a more of a rural kind of guy. I enjoy working in the woods and wearing over alls and my grandpa's suspenders. I am hopefully going to be attending a class relatively soon once my dad gets back from afghanistan and we move out west to arizona. At which point i will be much closer to your classes in las vegas. I look forward to learning and gaining more information and friends. thanks all, best of luck. Joeboy

Welcome Joe! I know what it feels like to move around a lot my dad was an engineer so we went where they needed a power plant. We lived in Louisiana for a while too, hot isn’t it?

Welcome Anna --

I remember seeing you all chiming in after you went to class.
Its great to see the family doing this together.

I have seven children and have 2 left to home school.
They are 11 and 7.

welcome aboard.

JD

Hey, JD you are blessed to still have some kids around. My Dad is lamenting that I am the last one!

Dario Andrea
02-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I am Dario Andrea, a new member but I have been following the Log Home Builders Association for years dreaming about my own place until finally make it to join an upcoming class on March in Vegas.
I am a fine arts Painter in New York and after the workshop would be relocating in the mountains in Alaska!!! to build my log home and Art Studio Atelier/workshop

Tom Featherstone
02-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I am Dario Andrea, a new member but I have been following the Log Home Builders Association for years dreaming about my own place until finally make it to join an upcoming class on March in Vegas.
I am a fine arts Painter in New York and after the workshop would be relocating in the mountains in Alaska!!! to build my log home and Art Studio Atelier/workshop

Welcome Dario! Ah! the mountains in Alaska, I like the way you think! Congratulations on signing up for the class. I lurked around here for a couple of years before even asking my first question. LHBA is a Real Deal. You will learn how to do it! See you on the Members side in a couple of weeks.

loghousenut
02-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Welcome Dario! Ah! the mountains in Alaska, I like the way you think! Congratulations on signing up for the class. I lurked around here for a couple of years before even asking my first question. LHBA is a Real Deal. You will learn how to do it! See you on the Members side in a couple of weeks.

Correction Tom... LHBA is THE Real Deal!!!

gerhart
03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
hi all. nice to see that the classes are still around. I took them with Skip at the Bar- E ranch around 1976 I think it was. Since then i have put together my share of log cabins, log homes, log garages, you name it i guess.But it was fun to do. The first one i ever made is sitting over at Copalis Beach, washington, in that area anyway, just a mile or so south of the town. i do wish there was some members to get together with at times here where I live now which is Colville, washington. I do have an email address if someone is around here,its garysplace2000 at hotmail dot com. dont know if its ok to post addresses on here or not but i guess i will find out sooner or later. well thats it for now, bye to everyone.Gary

loghousenut
03-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Hey Gary,

Now that you see how LHBA does it now, don't be so scarce. It's all changed since the days of the monthly meeting at Skip's place. Personally I like how it works now and it has certainly opened up the rest of the world to LHBA. There's been a hint about a West Coats Gettogether sometime near Thanksgiving. We'd love to see you there.

introducer
03-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Hello Everyone!
I have been reading a lot here for the last few months and got my log fever going steady now. Have not had a chance to post yet, so I'm doing it now before I see some of you (hopefully) at Vegas this coming weekend. It is a great community here and I cannot wait to be a part of it. Any central Florida members that built their log homes around? Anyone from Florida going to the class?
Anyway, I'm psyched to be here and seeYa on the other side.
Andy:D

StressMan79
03-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Introducer:

andy, are you planning on leaving central FL? I could think of few places worse for a log home, just my opinion...

King of Swamp Castle (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001589/): When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England. (or Florida)

haha. I rarely get to quote MP on here! Anyway, you can build a log home anywhere, but logs, bugs, humidity, etc are concerns.

Look forward to seeing you on the other side.

-Peter

introducer
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
That is very encouraging!
It will only take me four tries to build a log home in Florida?!
That actually is the usual response I get around here. To answer your question, my Holy Grail would be to build in Northern Georgia/NC/SC Mountains, but as it stands now I will build somewhere around DeLand while kids are still in school and my work is here. Besides, being raised in Siberia gave me a good dose of snowy climate. I enjoy my diving and fishing.
Who knows what the future will bring, and how my views might change after the class.
Hey, if they can build kits here why not real log home then.
I tend to always travel upstream of popular belief(thats probably why it feels so cozy here for me).
BTW Love Monty Python

loghousenut
03-12-2012, 01:51 AM
That is very encouraging!
It will only take me four tries to build a log home in Florida?!

You, my Man, are gonna fit right in here. Enjoy the ride!

Spitfire
03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
I guess it's time to introduce myself!

I'm a 22 year old comic author/web designer/workaholic. I've dreamed about having my own land for as long as I can remember and every penny I save goes into my house fund. My grandmother restored old homes and ran an antique shop - her kitchen was a tiny log cabin attached to the main house - so I'm stoked to build a brand new one in such a classic style. I've recently moved away from NYC to my home state of Kentucky for this venture and want to find a property that's tillable with a perennial stream for micro hydro energy.

I'll be attending the class in May with a friend, we're two tiny gals but I know we're tough enough to pull this off. Can't wait to meet everyone!

loghousenut
03-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Ms. Fire,

Can't wait to say welcome aboard. You two will pull it off just fine.

mario kadu
03-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Hello all,

My name is Mario and my wife (Celianne) and I will be attending the May 2012 class. We presently live near San Diego but we own 10 acres in the Sierra foothills just outside of Georgetown Ca. We plan on building there in 24-36 months and are just starting to get things together. The pad has been graded, the well is in and power is on the edge of the property although we need a drop and meter installed. Also the septic system has been engineered but still needs to be built. So you can see we are part way there. While the land is heavily wooded we are reluctant to take our own trees and will most likely find a local source - one of the main industries in the area is logging. We are looking forward to the class and hope to learn enough to build a log home.

jrdavis
03-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Mario/Celianne,

Welcome to the family. We look forward to seeing you on the 'other side'. :)

You are well on your way and may find that your 24-36 months may shorten after class... You'll be so excited you won't want to wait.
congrats on climbing on board.

JD

Kick Forward
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey Spitfire,

I too am looking for land in KY with a perennial stream (or at least spring), but have been finding it very tough. We've been looking for almost a year now and I can't think of any land within 50 miles of my wife's family that I haven't looked at. Most streams/creeks dry up and there really isn't that many to begin with. Here in eastern PA we have streams everywhere. I have a perennial stream 10 yards from my house going through the middle of my yard. The best option I have bookmarked is 11 acres at the edge of Lexington on the Kentucky river. It's expensive though ($180k):eek: but would allow for farming, multiple build sites (for guesthouse, barn, garage...) and possibly even some hunting. I'd prefer a stream though so that I could dam up my own lake, but the KY river has got to be a great place to retire on some day. A nice vintage houseboat would be pretty sweet to have docked out back too.

Good Luck!

Josh

StressMan79
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
the thing with water is flooding. I would not build in even a 500 year flood zone. In the mountains, there is generally enough drop for MH, and you can find a place where you can build up the ravine from the water... You don't have to worry about flooding...

Just be careful.

Spitfire
03-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I too am looking for land in KY with a perennial stream (or at least spring), but have been finding it very tough.

I've seen listings for tracts with good streams but I don't need (can't afford) that much land. Even if I find one it's going to have to have good head/flow and not be tied up in regulations so I know I'm in for a long search. At least I won't be tethered to a 50 mile limit; in Louisville right now and may peek into Indiana. I hope we both find what we're looking for. :)

Kick Forward
03-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks stressman, and I know you know a lot about water, I've seen your charts :p

I plan to vet the property a lot also considering we plan to live the rest of our lives on it. KY is very hilly (in areas) and being elevated from the river is pretty easy with some properties. The KY river has a lot of areas where there's ravines on both sides. But I look forward to getting everyone's input when we 'think' we've found a place.

Cheers

shirleyelijah
03-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi All,
my name is Shirley we are interesred in finding out if any members are selling their home in ID preffered our financial officer recomended we buy not build sinc we r military and can use our VA. we woulf like 3 pulse rooms 2 + bathroom lots of land. hubby is taking may class anyway but we r ready to buy by this time next year!. our e-mail lucas

jrdavis
03-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Shirley,

I'm not speaking for the member who can help you, but for the best of BOTH worlds... On the other side you will find a member who builds them for a living.

Rckclmbr -- can speak for himself.

JD

rkissinger
03-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi All,
my name is Shirley we are interesred in finding out if any members are selling their home in ID preffered our financial officer recomended we buy not build sinc we r military and can use our VA. we woulf like 3 pulse rooms 2 + bathroom lots of land. hubby is taking may class anyway but we r ready to buy by this time next year!. our e-mail lucas

Hi, I have a suggestion for you. If you really want to maximize your benefits and get the home you want, I would use the VA loan to buy the land you really want with a house/trailer house of little value. Then live there while you build your dream home out of pocket. The true LHBA credo is about trying to build without borrowing money at all, but I can see where you might want to take advantage of benefits that are offered to you, instead of letting them "go to waste" so to speak. Buying a LHBA built home isn't a bad idea either, but they are fairly rare so finding one in a location you want built the way you want might be a challenge. As long as he is taking the class you will not get into any trouble with kit homes or junk like that, so you'll be fine which ever way you decide to go. One other note, aside from the obvious financial benefits of building your own house, it is also incredibly fun! Best of luck.

Pokey
03-19-2012, 06:14 AM
New here.
Live in TC's area of MN and ready to take the plunge to the next chapter of our book of life this year.
We both have just retired - my bride thru 38 years of working at same place and myself a bone tossed away by company downsizing. Life goes on.
Game plan is to build in UP of Michigan, to begin clearing land this fall and winter and get moving forward.
The class?? - hopefully this fall/winter if offered, otherwise the next time it is. Cannot make the May one due to family committments made long ago.

Not a lot more to add - a very very long time reader/lurker here, I have toyed with hiring this out and still may much of it (or little-we shall see), age and health may play into the decision going forward. Frankly - my gene pool says if I want to enjoy it for awhile after completion hiring out most is the answer. I admire those of you who can do it all and have the years ahead to do so and in a cost effective manner. In a perfect world so would I.

Love all the posts, pics and support you share with one another. Like a big ol' happy family that sometimes has a bicker or two, sometimes almost need that woodshed out back to resolve things and then presto _ all is again good and one happy family again. lol
Look forward to someday meeting many of you.

loghousenut
03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
New here.
Live in TC's area of MN and ready to take the plunge to the next chapter of our book of life this year.
We both have just retired - my bride thru 38 years of working at same place and myself a bone tossed away by company downsizing. Life goes on.
Game plan is to build in UP of Michigan, to begin clearing land this fall and winter and get moving forward.
The class?? - hopefully this fall/winter if offered, otherwise the next time it is. Cannot make the May one due to family committments made long ago.

Not a lot more to add - a very very long time reader/lurker here, I have toyed with hiring this out and still may much of it (or little-we shall see), age and health may play into the decision going forward. Frankly - my gene pool says if I want to enjoy it for awhile after completion hiring out most is the answer. I admire those of you who can do it all and have the years ahead to do so and in a cost effective manner. In a perfect world so would I.

Love all the posts, pics and support you share with one another. Like a big ol' happy family that sometimes has a bicker or two, sometimes almost need that woodshed out back to resolve things and then presto _ all is again good and one happy family again. lol

You two would be surprised at what some of us have done in spite of our limitations. You can hire out what you can't do yourself and still make it work. Keep reading.

Pokey
03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
LHN - you would be surprised at how much I have read here. Think I have read every post back to #1 here at least once, many 6-7-8 times. You all reference the million post on the member side and those I hope to read all of - maybe time says it will be only those that are relevant to me specifically will be possible. We shall see.
Didn't I say I been lurking a loooong time. ;)

My issue or limitations really has nothing to do with physical issues. It's the other thing, time, that we don't have control of, nor does the medical profession despite the amount of money one can throw at things.

I still have the ability but really would hate to stretch the build out to far and then have the wife stuck with more than she wants to be in the middle of or can handle solo. It likely means smaller than what we dreamed and that is fine. Likely at greater expense and that I want to control as best possible. Likely also in a shorter time frame by half than what is ideal to economize - but I want time to enjoy it too so that is the cost I have deal with.
I'll git her down somehow

loghousenut
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Be sure to live every minute... even if you leave a loose end dangling here and there.

I am reminded of the time the gal called the radio personality whining that she was recently widowed and wished she were young enough to get her degree because "My God, in four hears I'll be 58 years old!".

His response... "How old will you be in four years if you don't get your degree?".

PS... This advice is aimed at everyone, not just Pokey.

Tom Featherstone
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
New here.

Pokey maybe faster than me getting a place up. Welcome Pokey! Coming to da UP eh? I love everything about the UP except the heat of the summer, may it only last for 6-8 weeks some years. If at all possible give you and your wife of 38yrs a trip to the next LHBA class. You will more than save that amount on your build in what they teach you to do in class. I lurked around here for 2yrs before signing up for the class and still didn't believe it until about an hour into it. It was by far the best investment we've made in 33yrs together. The members that contribute here openly do so because we now know of this wonderful gift that we received and to do it proper honor in passing it along too. The "Members Only" section here on the web is priceless. Their support is endless.

Where are you at in the UP?

Tom

telemaster
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Just joined the forum today. I purchased a log home about 18 months ago that was built in the mid 1940s. It's a great old home in need of a lot of TLC. Something I am very much looking forward to providing. The chinking and logs all appear to be original and in need of some immediate attention. I joined this forum to seek wisdom from those of you who have repaired/built your own log home. Thanks in advance for the many questions I'll be asking of the community.

Oh yeah, the log home is in PA for anyone from this neck of the woods.

StressMan79
03-20-2012, 11:44 AM
master,

start a new thread and post some pictures for pete's sake!

We generally don't like Kit log homes here, but if it is still up from the 40's, the construction can't be all bad. Give us some Photo Nourishment! (and welcome to the forums).

-Peter

John G
03-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Hi, y'all. I'm John from North Carolina. Took a chance and signed up for the class in May. Looking forward to it.

loghousenut
03-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Hey John,

Give Matt F. a call and see if you can drag him along. I can't wait to meet you two on the member's side!

Matt F.
03-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Hey guys and gals! I'm Matt. Looks like I never introduced myself on this thread. But here's my intro thread from almost 7 years ago! Crazy how much changes, and how little changes, too.

http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?740-Introducing-myself&p=740#post740

My girlfriend and I are both really excited about the class in May. And I've wanted to know what was behind the members only curtain for a really, really long time!!

-Matt

JeffandSara
03-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Congratulations on finally making it out the class, Matt! You've waited a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time! Travel safely when you go! Sara

PS... New Hampshire rules! :cool:

Matt F.
03-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Congratulations on finally making it out the class, Matt! You've waited a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time! Travel safely when you go! Sara

PS... New Hampshire rules! :cool:

Heck yeah, Sara! Thanks! Life got in the way and the class took a back seat on my priority list. But I'm beyond excited to take the class now.

NH is great. I moved away for a couple years, but kept a canning jar full of soil, moss, sticks, and leaves with me. When I'd get homesick, all I needed to do was pop the top off and take a deep breath of good ol' NH forest smell!

JeffandSara
03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
NH is great. I moved away for a couple years, but kept a canning jar full of soil, moss, sticks, and leaves with me. When I'd get homesick, all I needed to do was pop the top off and take a deep breath of good ol' NH forest smell!

Love that, Matt! I have a couple of fir balsam pillows to serve that purpose. Nothing like the smell of the No'th Country woods! Sara :D

Chris S
04-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey everyone, I'm Chris, from England. I work as a Forest Contractor but have always dreamt of building a full scribe cabin and found myself thinking about it more and more recently. Going to hopefully make a start on a few smaller projects first then build up to a home one day :)

dvb
04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Chris,
Good luck with your project! We do not utilize the Full Scribe method of building and will probably not be much help with that. We do however love Log houses and will probably be able to help with a lot of things that are common among log buildings.

Blondie
04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Chris,

I think that most of us arrived at LHBA pulled by our romance with the full scribe method of building. I LOVE saddle notching. However, I learned that notching into the log from the bottom of the log and at each end opened up those fabulous logs to the invasion of moisture and the rot. Inspite of any any known chinking method or material.

In this country, the log cabin kits or hand crafted scandanavian full scribe are great but they don't last very long before they show signs of rot or decay. We use the butt and pass method that preserves the integrity of the log. We also suggest that the cabins have a roof overhang of about 5 ft.

Our cabins are built to last for our grandchildren.

Most of us do not have the high polished skill it requires to build full scribe either, I certainly don't. I am single, retired ICU nurse. I have purchased 14+ acres "'off the grid" to build on. No, I am not silly enougfh to think that will be doing this all by myself. I will hire a couple of young men and direct/stupidvise the building of a very simple cabin.

Keep reading this blog......let us open your eyes, huh?

Blondie

loghousenut
04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
"Most of us don't have the highly polished skill......"

She said a mouthful there! I probably have enough log house building skills to build a really nice pile of firewood. Yet, here I am halfway through building a log home that will knock your socks off, and could very likely house my Grandchildren when they grow old.

Chris, There are a few very real reasons why you should consider the LHBA class. Read on.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010441.jpg

donjuedo
04-02-2012, 04:18 AM
here I am halfway through building a log home that will knock your socks off, and could very likely house my Grandchildren when they grow old.

It won't house them if it's not finished. ;)

Got any new progress? I love all the photos you post.

Peter

loghousenut
04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
It won't house them if it's not finished. ;)

Got any new progress? I love all the photos you post.

Peter

Hey, No fair pickin on the fat ole man unless you do it on the members side!!!

Heck I haven't touched the house in 3-4 months. It just sits there with a roof and a floor waiting patiently. One of the attractive bonuses of living on the building site and paying as you go is that construction can stop for any reason at several stages in the process. Right now I guess I am taking the winter off to do other stuff and sooner or later the house will call me and it will be irresistible.

I have managed to put new tires on the telehandler, sell my old forklift, play on the computer and practice my winter survival skills. For some reason I did a lot of backroad exploring and camping this winter and very little log house building. Don't you worry too much... I'll get it done before the grave reaches up and grabs me.

ARCHIVE PHOTO

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Rafters9-2010149.jpg

joe0121
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
My Name Is Joseph. I haven't been to the class yet was researching log home kit companies and thankfully stumbled across this site. My wife and I are expecting a baby and I'm still in college so it will be a couple years before I can attend the course but I cant wait.

BoFuller
04-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't you worry too much... I'll get it done before the grave reaches up and grabs me.

Yeah, that's what you said about that Boy Scout merit badge, and the high school science project, and ......

loghousenut
04-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah, that's what you said about that Boy Scout merit badge, and the high school science project, and ......

That science project is still fermenting. It'll get done someday.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Mosseyme
04-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Joe121
While brothers. Nut and Bo are sparing I will say welcome to this club. Some of us are more sane than others (not speaking of myself) so just come along and learn from us all and teach us a little. Since it will be acouple years until you can start anything it is the perfect time to give yourselves Christmas, BD,Aniversary ect all rolled up into one great trip to class. Almost no one here wishes they had waited longer to take the class.

BoFuller
04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
My Name Is Joseph. I haven't been to the class yet was researching log home kit companies and thankfully stumbled across this site. My wife and I are expecting a baby and I'm still in college so it will be a couple years before I can attend the course but I cant wait.

Welcome Joe. It is never too soon to take the class, as it opens your mind up to new ways of thinking about log homes.
Nevermind our banter. I'm always trying to keep my little brother in line. An impossible task.

Fred Penick
04-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey all, Fred Here.
How is It?

I attended the March class, And I am so ready to get at it. I have wanted to live in a log cabin ever since I first saw Daniel Boone on " The Wonderful World of Disney When I was about 4 yrs old. I recently took a early disability retirement due to the limitations of a bilateral knee replacement. I know it will be slow going and I'll have to rely on my young-un's to lend me a hand, but we're going to get-R-done. I think the kids are just as excited as I am! Or at least letting believe that they are. I think the first thing I'm going to build is a small shed to get the hang of things. Then the cabin.
I hope to help Dasedandconfused do some log pealing in the near future. I've got to ask him about sources for logs here and Pa. I've been looking at all the posts here and haven't seen any loggers within Pa. I love reading all your blogs and posts and the pictures, hope to ad some of my own soon.

panderson03
04-04-2012, 06:42 AM
welcome to the family, Mr Penick:)

edkemper
04-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Fred,

Welcome to this side of heaven.

loghousenut
04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Welcome Fred and don't sweat the disabilities. As long as you've got young'uns and $, you'll be able to supervise them just fine. That log home will happen as long as there is breath in your drink cup.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/3rdsilllog8-27-09029.jpg

blane
04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I love that picture! There are a few of my son and I that resemble that one.However, I have made them disappear. [QUOTE=loghousenut;71788]Welcome Fred and don't sweat the disabilities. As long as you've got young'uns and $, you'll be able to supervise them just fine. That log home will happen as long as there is breath in your drink cup.

Blondie
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
WELCOME Fred,

It sounds like you will fit in just fine!

Blondie

Blondie
04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Fred,

Have you been to the member's side yet?

Blondie

Fred Penick
04-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey there Blondie
Thanks for your welcome note. As far as going to the members side I have been reading those posts and some of the blogs. I look at pictures as much as I can also. The other night I was started reading posts and blogs at 11 PM. Before I new it It was 5 Am!
I do have a question maybe you can answer when I was looking for new mail received I noticed a window that said subscriptions do you know what that is?
What is your favorite item to look at on this site?
Fred

Blondie
04-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Hey Fred!

How are ya doin'?

I am sorry. I have no idea what the "subscription" is. It could be a scriptiion to a specific blog. I have never signed up.

What do I read? Just about everything, voraciously. I had read so much that I almost had the process down by the time I got to class. lol. I am quite mechanical and very visual. There are enough photos and descriptions that I have a firm idea (plus class, of course.) how to do it.

Blondie

Fred Penick
04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey All
I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome. Hope to hear good things about everyone's progress.

Be Happy, and Stay Safe

Fred

Hoss
04-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Whats up Guys?
Greetings from West Virginia! Not quite old enough to start building yet seeing as how i'm still in college, but hope to get enough knowledge under my belt that way i'm ready to start after i graduate.

panderson03
04-07-2012, 06:01 PM
HI there Hoss. welcome! sure wish I'd know about LHBA when I was your age. there are a lot of things I would have done differently!!

Hoss
04-07-2012, 08:34 PM
I figured seeing as how i'm knee deep in homework anyway:mad:, i'd do a little learning about something that interests me. haha

JeffandSara
04-08-2012, 10:01 AM
HI there Hoss. welcome! sure wish I'd know about LHBA when I was your age. there are a lot of things I would have done differently!!

Amen, panderson03! Welcome, Hoss! :)

Kellyhh
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Hello from Texas, folks.

My name is Kelly. Long story short, I didn't figure out how I wanted to live my life until I turned 39. I always knew I wanted to live in a log cabin, raise a few goats, grow a garden, fish or hunt when able or necessary. I always knew it, but it took 39 years to understand that it was actually OK to do.

I like the vibe here. It's positive and supportive, honest and mature.

I can't wait to take the class. Unfortunately, this year is pretty much out of the question for me.

BoFuller
04-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Hello from Texas, folks.

My name is Kelly. Long story short, I didn't figure out how I wanted to live my life until I turned 39. I always knew I wanted to live in a log cabin, raise a few goats, grow a garden, fish or hunt when able or necessary. I always knew it, but it took 39 years to understand that it was actually OK to do.

I like the vibe here. It's positive and supportive, honest and mature.

I can't wait to take the class. Unfortunately, this year is pretty much out of the question for me.

I'm 62 and still trying to figure out how I want to live my life. :cool:

Welcome.

Tom Featherstone
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm 62 and still trying to figure out how I want to live my life. :cool:

Welcome.

I think I kind of stumbled upon a way.... one step at a time... one foot in front of the other. Let the past lay where it lays.... in the past. No more than you can live in the future.. it ain't here yet. To continue to learn to live the most in this moment and to love every minute of it. What a wonderful way to look at the time we have here each moment of the day. The hurdles that arise now seem like mole hills. We'll get there when we do.

To follow a dream and to enjoy the journey along the way is what is most important in my limited understanding. We only get this time here, why not enjoy as much as we can along the way. And maybe spread a little of all that Joy too!

Tom:)

Peach1956
04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Howdy Y'all, My name is Steve Peachey. I'm 56. I've been lurking and studying your homes, and the process you used, and having a great time doing it. There's a pattern and similarity among all, yet I can see the uniqueness between each of the homes. I'm a retired HVAC maintenance man here in the treeless part of Texas. We have mesquites (thorn bushes) that are pretending be trees and a lot of cactus. Neither one are suitable for Log Homes.

Been working on a floor plan of my own for several years (taking a little bit from what I've seen on LHBA and modifying to my needs), and compiling a list of tools and equipment based on some of the comments you've made here and the LHBA website.

I know I need the LHBA course. But. I think I will gain a lot more from the class because of your comments. Some of the terminology you use in log building is new to me. I had no idea what a "RPSL" was until I started snooping around.

I dreamed of having a Log Cabin/Home as a kid and young man. Then life took me in a different direction and the dream was pushed to the back burner. I'm sure most of you guys can relate.

Have always resented the fact that our lives can be so easily controlled by others who have no right to control our lives. I have fell in love (again) with the life associated with building my own log home.

I've rambled too much... thanks for all your great insight!
Steve

loghousenut
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Peachy Steve,
Don't wait til old age sets in... Take the class. Logs can be turcked in to the scrubby part of Texas just fine. You'll fit right in here.

BoFuller
04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Welcome Steve. Learn all you can, but take the class soon, as it helps put everything in the right perspective.

Peach1956
04-09-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm tired of the 11 month summers and 120 degrees... I have my eye on the other extreme. Thanks Loghousenut and BO for the welcome

loghousenut
04-10-2012, 01:42 AM
Just go west to Las Vegas and turn right... And since you'll be in Vegas you can stick around for class.

Peach1956
04-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Just go west to Las Vegas and turn right... And since you'll be in Vegas you can stick around for class.

I like that :cool:

BoFuller
04-10-2012, 06:58 AM

My bro was never very good with directions. To get to Paradise (Arizona), you go west to Las Vegas and turn LEFT.

blane
04-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Or you could come to the east coast mountains with 4 seasons and relatively mild extremes in temps. http://www.hikewnc.info/areainfo/wxclimate.html

My bro was never very good with directions. To get to Paradise (Arizona), you go west to Las Vegas and turn LEFT.

BoFuller
04-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Or you could come to the east coast mountains with 4 seasons and relatively mild extremes in temps. http://www.hikewnc.info/areainfo/wxclimate.html

Apparently Blane went to the same school of directions as Loghousenut. ;)

jrdavis
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Hah! I always thought that ANY turn from Vegas was and "extreme right"..................................

JD

loghousenut
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Hah! I always thought that ANY turn from Vegas was and "extreme right"..................................

JD

Well played JD! Toooshay (pardon my French)

BoFuller
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Well played JD! Toooshay (pardon my French)

Just because you're fluent in several languages doesn't mean you can start using fancy foreign words on us.

And what do you expect from someone from Iowa? How would they know? ;)

jrdavis
04-10-2012, 12:00 PM
uhuh.. Iowa Jokes are accepted since I'm a USMC military brat from 'the stumps'.
But *I HAVE* been to williams Arizona and some of those folks scare me..... and I've been in all 50 states. :)

back to NEWBIE intro's :) ;)

BoFuller
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
uhuh.. Iowa Jokes are accepted since I'm a USMC military brat from 'the stumps'.
But *I HAVE* been to williams Arizona and some of those folks scare me..... and I've been in all 50 states. :)

back to NEWBIE intro's :) ;)

Well, the Iowa part was okay, but shame on me for doubting a Marine for a sense of direction. I obviously was not thinking, again. I stand corrected, Sir.

jrdavis
04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
hey. NO PROB.

I'm old school, so it just runs off. Mostly funny.
I was about to tell an Iowa acronym joke, then realized it was Your platform. :)

"and don't call me sir, I work for a living....."

JD

Blondie
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
WELCOME KELLY, WELCOME STEVE,

There are lots of us out here! You will find a warm welcome and tons of support.

Blondie

Gomer
04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
JJ here and a noob.
Naaa - not as doofy as Gomer Pyle but about as dumb at times I am. So Gomer works. lol
long time follower, still on the fence as maybe I have read to much here and elsewhere to have a clear head I guess about why everyone has their own way(s) to build. Like the butt and pass look yet like the cope look. They claim this - here it is said to be different. Heck - I don't care as both are around and have been for years. IMO it is personal prefection as to look maybe as much as anything.
I was reading a lot of posts from Jane Doe and her being at class and then she disappeared, as did a few others. Maybe in fact she never actually was there?
Anyway - the class is cheap, the whole thing quite a bit more, so I am digesting it all before diving in. Okay - been doing this slooooooooooow digesting of all on-off for 4 years.
What freaks me out is the 'into the mystic' of the other worldly side I guess. The "take the class" always said creates a sense of insecurity for my wife..and I need her on board or no dice. So here I am still thinking aloud.
A taste or hands on or an onsite class would truly sell us both

JJ

Gomer
04-11-2012, 07:16 AM
okay - where is the edit button to fix typos?

JJ

BoFuller
04-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Welcome Gomer. Yeah I was skeptical too and I see your point. Be wary of the cope look as the force is strong. :D Where you from? It would be nice if you could attend somebody's build to get a "taste" of it. You're welcome to help me out anytime. I'm in northern Arizona.

Zetmandu
04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Now with the name Gomer, he has to be in the South, right?
But either way, hope you read enough to get convinced to "take the class" and the wife too

blane
04-11-2012, 08:04 AM
With a name like Gomer you have to live near me:) I am in NC and you are welcome to visit.
okay - where is the edit button to fix typos?

JJ

loghousenut
04-11-2012, 09:21 AM
JJ here and a noob.
Naaa - not as doofy as Gomer Pyle but about as dumb at times I am. So Gomer works. lol
long time follower, still on the fence as maybe I have read to much here and elsewhere to have a clear head I guess about why everyone has their own way(s) to build. Like the butt and pass look yet like the cope look. They claim this - here it is said to be different. Heck - I don't care as both are around and have been for years. IMO it is personal prefection as to look maybe as much as anything.
I was reading a lot of posts from Jane Doe and her being at class and then she disappeared, as did a few others. Maybe in fact she never actually was there?
Anyway - the class is cheap, the whole thing quite a bit more, so I am digesting it all before diving in. Okay - been doing this slooooooooooow digesting of all on-off for 4 years.
What freaks me out is the 'into the mystic' of the other worldly side I guess. The "take the class" always said creates a sense of insecurity for my wife..and I need her on board or no dice. So here I am still thinking aloud.
A taste or hands on or an onsite class would truly sell us both

JJ
Gomer,

Take the class hahha. Once a person has been to class and have access to the "members only" side of this forum, they usually disappear from the "public" side. Jane Doe last posted on the members side in February. It's not uncommon for folks to come and go once they've been to class. Some eventually trail off and we don't know how they used what they learned from class, but a ton of them get thing together and build a home for their family. I'm pretty sure that Ms. Doe will be around for quite awhile.

There's more to the LHBA class than nuts and bolts about building with logs. You'll come away with a feeling that you can live a different lifestyle if you want to. Once you realize that folks like you and your Wife can go out and hoist a ridgepole, it changes how you look at the rest of your dreams. You will realize that you two can change your future by building the log home you've always wanted without 30 years of debt. Find a group of folks who will stick with you as you learn and build your own full-scribed and coped log home, and then decide which way you want to go.

As for the "take the class" thing... I can guarantee that all of us who say "take the class" have taken the class. I've yet to hear someone say they wish they had NOT taken the class. I don't make a nickel one way or another.

If you do take the class I urge you BOTH to go. My wife went. If she hadn't gone to class she would have wandered off last year mumbling "Why can't he just put up a kit log house like Phil did?". Instead, she is the driving force that makes it all so easy. I have enjoyed every ounce of sweat and loved every minute that I have spent building this home. Your experience may vary.

Take the class.

PS... Phil was my Wife's first husband. They built a very nice kit house and it went together quickly. They sold it as a part of the divorce settlement some 25 years ago.

Gomer
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I pretty much get what ya saying but to get the wife onboard it will take more than prodding...more like the hands on deal
I actually am in Minnesota, north of the TCs by 30 miles. Gomer came from a nick-name from HS days, maybe even junior high? I used to play it coy in some classes to get the teachers a bit rattled as they say...now my wife is one so I have to behave. lol
I need to figure out where/how to put in my location and stuff I guess huh
If you want to move your builds halfway this way I'll be there tonight.

Animal
04-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I took the class in May 2011. Since then, I've got some land in Vermont (still paying it off) and plan to build. Looking forward to participating in these forums. and hopefully helping out some of you with your builds for practice!

BoFuller
04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Welcome Animal. You were in the same class as me!

Gomer
04-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Gomer,

Take the class hahha. Once a person has been to class and have access to the "members only" side of this forum, they usually disappear from the "public" side. Jane Doe last posted on the members side in February. It's not uncommon for folks to come and go once they've been to class. Some eventually trail off and we don't know how they used what they learned from class, but a ton of them get thing together and build a home for their family. I'm pretty sure that Ms. Doe will be around for quite awhile.

anudder dumb question from a noob .... thought to be on the members side or post there you had to be a member and it shows under the name. ??
Jane Doe doesn't show "member" but rather user like me. ??
How does this work. ??

loghousenut
04-12-2012, 06:40 AM
anudder dumb question from a noob .... thought to be on the members side or post there you had to be a member and it shows under the name. ??
Jane Doe doesn't show "member" but rather user like me. ??
How does this work. ??

OK Gomer so I was full of sheep dip. Jane Doe went to class and posted a time or two on the public side and then dropped out of sight without ever registering for the members side. Either she was a subversive Govt. agent or she's off taking care of loose ends. I hope we see her again and I'm betting we will.

Here's the page that had the post she wrote after coming back from class. Your Wife might want to read it.

http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?9334-Building-a-Log-Home-By-Myself-Is-it-possible/page7

PS.... For a noob asking dumb questions, you sure know how to corner a guy don't you. I like that.

John W
04-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Guys, don't worry about Jane Doe. I've swapped emails with her outside this forum, and she is still 'dreaming and scheming' as she says. Other than that comment, which is probably too much even at that, she'll be 'visible' again when she's ready.

As everybody that reads the forums like I did saw, some people get fired up, take the class and build in a year. Some people take the class and build years later, some think about it for years, take the class and build right away. All in good time, but man, that clock seems to be ticking fast for me. I take heart when I see folks comment about building that are older than me (50).

Peach1956
04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
. All in good time, but man, that clock seems to be ticking fast for me. I take heart when I see folks comment about building that are older than me (50).

Yeah me too.... I'm 56 :rolleyes:

BoFuller
04-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah me too.... I'm 56 :rolleyes:

Youngsters!

rreidnauer
04-13-2012, 02:42 AM
TGIF (that's, "Thank God I'm Forty") :D

edkemper
04-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Bo,

I agree. A bunch of young'ns. <smile>

spiralsands
04-19-2012, 05:06 AM
I pretty much dropped off the forums for a year while I was scrambling to sell the house in FL and taking a job transfer to NY. When I came back, there was this new format and a whole bunch of new faces and names. I'm realizing that if I spend too much time away from the forum that I start to get doubtful and fearful about building what I'm starting to call "the Big House". Coming back to discussions and seeing others moving along really helps me keep my own goals in sight.

loghousenut
04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Good to see you back. Hasn't been that long.

Time is your best friend in this endeavor... If you don't die first.

Enjoy every day of it.

DrArrowsmith
04-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking the forums and site for almost a year now and finally decided to join up. I am sold on Skip's method and I'm hoping to take the class ASAP but I am in the process of trying to convince my betrothed and resolve all of the other life complications at the moment.

I'm looking forward to learning more and sharing what little knowledge I have!

jaxsnyder
04-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking the forums and site for almost a year now and finally decided to join up. I am sold on Skip's method and I'm hoping to take the class ASAP but I am in the process of trying to convince my betrothed and resolve all of the other life complications at the moment.

I'm looking forward to learning more and sharing what little knowledge I have!

Welcome to the forum. I have been a lurker/ participator in the forum for about 3 years. There are a great bunch of people on here that are a wealth of information and inspration to pursue your dream. On the convinving your betrothed have patience and share your enthusiasm. My husband just decided this year that he wants to do it and we are finally going to take the next class.... hopefully they will have one this fall. I'm glad you have joined in on the group your going to love everyone you get to know on here.

KingLewey70
04-22-2012, 07:57 AM
I too spent alot of time on here and started building. I got all the logs stacked and then had to stop for a year because of going thru a divorce. It was kind of painful coming on here when I couldnt do anything. I tried to put it on the back burner so it wouldnt eat me up. Now that it is over and I can get back to work on it. I feel all fired up again. Should be getting the roof on over Memorial day week!!!!! :-)

JeffandSara
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi, KingKLewey--

Glad you're able to get back to work. You guys be careful on that roof!

Sara

KingLewey70
04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks Sara. I feel like a brand new man. :)

Peach1956
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Great pics of the process Thanks for sharing!. If I may ask... what is the deep hole( with ladder in it) in the middle of the foot print for? You got some great looking logs there... did you harvest them from your land or buy them?

Peach1956
04-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Welcome DrArrowsmith. Interesting Handle.

KingLewey70
04-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Peach, the hole in the middle is my well. If you noticed the pics with the old run down mobile homes that is exactly where the log cabin is at. Tore out the mobile homes and built on that site since there was already a well there. It saved a little bit of money. I didnt harvest the trees from my land.

Great pics of the process Thanks for sharing!. If I may ask... what is the deep hole( with ladder in it) in the middle of the foot print for? You got some great looking logs there... did you harvest them from your land or buy them?

ny_log_home_dreamer
04-26-2012, 04:04 AM
My name is Scott. I live in Plattsburgh, NY, which is about 45 minutes from Montreal to the north, 1 hour from Burlington, VT to the east and about 6 hours from NY City to the south.

I just found this site. I have signed up for the class in Vegas on 5/26 and 5/27.

My wife and I have always dreamed of building a log home. We have looked at kits for years, but could never justify the expense. We thought we would have to settle for a conventionally built house. This site made us realize this is not the case. We have been given some land and it has lots and lots of trees. Not sure how much of it will be usuable for a log home, but hoping most of it. There's lots of cedar, pine (red and white). Lots of aok and maple as well. It's 16 acres all wooded. My father-in-law built his own cabin. I hoping with his experience, the take aways from the class and this forum I will be able to build a log home for my family, free and clear of any mortgage.

My wife and I are trying to sell our house now.

If anyone stumble across this post who live anywhere near New England and is currently buiding, please let me know. We would love to help someone and gain some hands on experience. I have basic framing and carpentry knowledge that I would like to tie up with some practical log home BnP techniques.

Can't wait to get to know some of you more and learn from your experiences.

Scott

Peach1956
04-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Welcome Scott

spiralsands
04-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Hi Scott, I'm in Syracuse but my land is in Fulton County in the SW Adirondack foothills. I can think of 3 builds going on in NY right now. 2 near Rochester and 1 in Delaware County. I am not yet building the log house but I am preparing to build a shelter on the land to live in on build weekends and such. There is also one in CT. There may be more. After you take the class, you can go to the member's forum to discuss lots of stuff.

Frances

tomahawk.horner
05-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi. My name is Duncan. I'm a young married man with a dream of building our own home and living much more self sufficiently than the rest of the world. I live in northern BC Canada and am looking around for the right course(s) to take and hopefully a mentor from somewhere around here hopefully. Glad to be on board. I won;t be able to make Mays course. Hopefully theres another on later this year!

panderson03
05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
welcome home, young man. sounds like you'll fit in quite well here:) we do have a few folks building in Canada, so hoping you'll find a mentor close your location!

loghousenut
05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Duncan,

You have two eligible mentors that are as close as the airport, and several hundred (thousands?) more of us await, with tireless anticipation, at our computers. This site is all about plain 'ole folks like you and I building their own log home with their own hands. Welcome aboard.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/owlanim.gif

Daphne
05-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Hello! We currently live in the Chicago and plan on moving to the Denver area in the next year or so. Our ideal plan is to rent a house and build a beautiful log home (with some help) to live in and get a better handle on our financial situation.

My husband and I have dreamed of a log home for years. Before we had children and I was a broke grad student, I volunteered to drive a truck full of antiques down to a client of my step-dads in SC. This client lives in the Chicago area and built a log home on a several hundred acre retreat for fishing and hunting. My husband, then boyfriend, tagged along to keep me company. We spent a night at this lodge, and it was truly the most magnificent home I could dream of. We have a much smaller budget, but here's some pics if you are curious. http://www.hearthstonehomes.com/new/agostini/index.html

I am so excited that I found this group and have been enjoying reading the posts. Even more excited to take the class and start making this dream a reality!

blane
05-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Cool place. I love the outhouse look to the bathroom. However, I don't think my wife would go for that.
Hello! We currently live in the Chicago and plan on moving to the Denver area in the next year or so. Our ideal plan is to rent a house and build a beautiful log home (with some help) to live in and get a better handle on our financial situation.

My husband and I have dreamed of a log home for years. Before we had children and I was a broke grad student, I volunteered to drive a truck full of antiques down to a client of my step-dads in SC. This client lives in the Chicago area and built a log home on a several hundred acre retreat for fishing and hunting. My husband, then boyfriend, tagged along to keep me company. We spent a night at this lodge, and it was truly the most magnificent home I could dream of. We have a much smaller budget, but here's some pics if you are curious. http://www.hearthstonehomes.com/new/agostini/index.html

I am so excited that I found this group and have been enjoying reading the posts. Even more excited to take the class and start making this dream a reality!

Daphne
05-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Probably why that bathroom is in his office ;)

loghousenut
05-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Daphne,

It'sa nice place but I think I'll like your place better when it's done. I also thought the in/outhouse was a cool idea but it made my Wife wrinkle her nose.

One idea that I will incorporate into our master bathroom is using an old butter churn to hide the plunger. I suppose we could use an old up and down clothes washer instead but I like the butter churn idea. Either way we'll definitely need a plunger handy so my Brother Bo can come for an extended visit.

hahahhhhaaaa

Gend
05-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Hi.
I am new in this forum. My name is Gend.
Now I build a house for my family and I think this forum will help me with all my questions.

panderson03
05-29-2012, 05:47 AM
welcome Gend! where are you building? what style home are you building? again, welcome !!

Northwoods
05-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Good morning! (at least it is here)

My name is Chuck and I live in Wisconsin. Just wanted to say hello to everyone and to say thanks to Ellsworth and Steve W. for the awesome class this last weekend. What an eye opening experience that was. I had been chomping at the bit so to speak wanting to research and learn techniques to build a butt and pass style log home. I'm glad I pre-read the forums and FAQs a bit prior to class where it stated that I should just wait because I will end up relearning everything anyway. The ideas that I had would have been inferior by design in comparison to the solid and quite honestly much cheaper and more logical techniques we learned in class.

At any rate, It's nice to meet you all and thanks again for the class. I look forward to seeing the detailed information on the members side once I get my account upgraded.

loghousenut
05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Mr. Woods... Get over to the members side where you belong!

You've got a ton of reading to do.

happyquilter
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Northwoods, I had to chuckle when I read your post. I had sketched out my proposed log home before class. During class they listed all the "mistakes" people make in their design that cost extra money. I think I had made pretty much every one of them, lol. Now we will be building what you call a "solid and quite honestly much cheaper and more logical" home.

Welcome!

Shari

doublejj
05-30-2012, 08:01 PM
I took a class from old Skip himself back in 1980.
These pictures were taken in 1981-82. This log home was built on very rural land in NE Washngton state. Built off-grid without power equipment. All done by hand with rigging & block&tackle, (you can see it in the pictures). We now live in California & sold the cabin in 1990.
We followed Skips directions & it work perfectly. It's great to see his log house association still going strong.
R.I.P Skip, thanks again my friend!

EDIT: I have some great pic's of the log home, I just can't get them posted?!?

loghousenut
05-31-2012, 12:47 AM
JJ,

Put those photos on Photobucket so we can take a gander at them.

I took the class a year after you.

burldude
06-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi everybody I took the seminar in 1999 at the house in Monroe,I was seated on Skip's immediate left as I didnt want to miss a thing. He had just returned from Cebu and brought his son Chip with him. I had moved to Federal Way Wa. from Eureka Ca.and had always been interested in log home building.I was surfing the web one day and saw the page from the original," Log House Builders of North America" needless to say I was impressed by the remark;"all you need to build a log house can easily fit into the trunk of a car" I have still to build but I'm looking forward to when I do.Great info here keep up the good work.

loghousenut
06-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Don't be a stranger. We who are "oldtimerswhodidn'tgetdoneinthefirsttwoyears"ers need all the moral support we can get.

jrdavis
06-12-2012, 06:43 AM
burldude

We might have been in the same class.
it was Oct 1999.

I stuck around for the tuesday meeting of the members.
That was interesting... :+)

I fealt very intimidated, but there was lots of good discussion going on.

JD

burldude
06-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the response, yeah we do need all the moral support we can get. I would have gotten started sooner but ya know how that goes ,life is what happens when you're busy making plans! [divorce,career change,re-marry,raising a six year-old grandson.] I was a commercial fisherman since 1979 went to College of the Redwoods and got a A.S. degree in C.N.C and manual machining{ can't fish for ever] worked for George Buck at Redwood burl.com for three years,[ I hear it was a record amount of time] as a finisher making fireplace mantels, tables, being from Grants Pass , you know the trade.Anyhoo thats the short version I do envy your area for the lumber, not like Twin falls Id. been here for a year and I'm still not used to this high desert climate kinda miss the rain and gray marine layer and the TREES!

Tom Featherstone
06-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Burldude,

Good to see you get back here. I'm of the same "oldtimerswhodidn'tgetdoneinthefirsttwoyears" but didn't stumble upon LHBA until about 06'. Took the class with my wife in April 08' and have looked at log homes since 1979. Life does happen, more important, we are now here. There is some of the finest people you'll find anywhere everywhere here.

I'd suggest to you to contact Ellsworth to see if he can get you to the members side of LHBA, you'll be amazed of what the internet has done for all that have aspired to build a log home since you last checked in.

Only LHBA Regret.. That I didn't find you all sooner and to have met Skip. We were blessed to have been able to take the class in his Big House. Skip I would believe would be quite proud of both Ellsworth & Steve for how they have carried this on. I wish the new students could still go there, the extra expense would be well worth it in my eyes.

Sheena
06-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Sheena. I live near Seattle Washington. Its been my longing desire to have a log cabin. I have twenty acers of beautiful land in the okanogan mountains. If anyone out thier is looking for breathtaking land, to build let me know. I am new to this forum and have alot to learn,happy that I came across this web site. I design unique lamps out of arrow heads and native american materials for log cabins. I dream to have my own cabin one day soon and I am hoping to take some classes. Sheena

panderson03
06-15-2012, 04:56 AM
welcome to our forums, Sheena :) your artwork sounds amazing!!

blane
06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Welcome Sheena,
One class is all you need. Sounds like you are perfect for this community of log home builders. Can you share some pictures of your lamps?
Hi everyone. My name is Sheena. I live near Seattle Washington. Its been my longing desire to have a log cabin. I have twenty acers of beautiful land in the okanogan mountains. If anyone out thier is looking for breathtaking land, to build let me know. I am new to this forum and have alot to learn,happy that I came across this web site. I design unique lamps out of arrow heads and native american materials for log cabins. I dream to have my own cabin one day soon and I am hoping to take some classes. Sheena

Steven
06-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm also a Steve, but got the user name Steven :) I fondly remember the old site design an am excited about having found everyone again!

panderson03
06-17-2012, 05:15 PM
welcome back, Steven:)

Ernie W
06-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey everybody!
I'm a newbie here. Been fascinated with log homes for years but never a serious inquirer until now. I hope to be in position to begin building my own within the next 2-2 1/2 years. I found this site after settling on a design at a kit site. When I asked some questions that were "professionally avoided" but still got some unbelievable answers to others, I decided to browse some more. Now it seems I may have been heading in the wrong direction before. I'm hoping to gleen some valuable info, advice and etc. from some real lag home owners and not just sellers. I know very little so I hope you guys are patient and don't mind what may seem like trivial questions.
At any rate, I'm looking forward to making to new acquaintances. BTW, I'm from NC. Anyone else from anywhere close by?

panderson03
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi there Ernie. welcome! Glad you found us :)
we do indeed have members from NC!

JeffandSara
06-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi, Ernie--

We were looking at a kit home when we found LHBA, too. We're SO glad that we didn't get a kit. We like our house much better, both aesthetically and functionally; and living in an area with many kit homes nearby, we see the proof of a lot of the kit home problems LHBA cautions about.

Welcome to the forum, and best wishes to you! Sara :)

blane
06-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Ernie,
I am currently building in Western NC. And their are several more in the state.

burldude
06-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Been tryin' to get a hold of him so far no response. I was born in Michigan, but I'm a troll! {Kalamazoo} All you Yoopers have all the good trees up there!

kipawalogger
07-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Hi everyone. just joined up. but have been watching your website for awhile. I live in Ontario, Canada and have property on a beautiful lake in Quebec. It had a log cabin on it built around 1920, mother nature took it down a few years ago and now I am going to build a new log cabin on the property. Wishing I could take the class this September but I have some work commitments. After researching this site and other information, I will be building a Butt and Pass style building. My property is boat access so there are some logistical problems. Hard to get machinery there so I have to build the "old school" way, lots of labour required.
Anyone else in the southern Ontario area who have taken the class and maybe built a home, love to hear from you.
I'm sure I will learn alot more now that I have joined up and can ask questions.

Dale

BoFuller
07-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Welcome! I'm sure you will find others close by.

panderson03
07-03-2012, 04:47 AM
HI there Kipawalogger. welcome to LHBA:)

in class you'll learn how to build a Butt and Pass log cabin using only tools you can fit in the truck of your car, so while you'll miss out on the convenience of heavy machinery, you can definitely build this way. we have several member doing that very thing right now:) I know you said you can't make the September class but there will be others. the real answers can be found in class and on the member's side of these forums. we've NEVER regretted investing the time and money into taking the class.
p.s. we have a bunch of members in Canada who've taken the class, so you're not alone! again, welcome!!

loghousenut
07-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Yup, You can even do it with the tools that will fit in the trunk of your boat.

rreidnauer
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Terminology LHN, Terminology! It's not a trunk, it's the hold. :D

Timberwolf
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Yay! Another Canadian! From Ontario no less (no, i'm not lonely for fellow log builders. Not at all)!

loghousenut
07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Terminology LHN, Terminology! It's not a trunk, it's the hold. :D
You don't have to lecture me about terminology Rod. I know all about holding the trunk.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20ridgepole/P1000696.jpg

hahaaha

kipawalogger
07-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to learning as much as I can.
Dale

John W
07-06-2012, 07:51 AM
LHN, is that the one that will become your ridgepole?

blane
07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Thats the one that is his ridge pole. Pretty awesome one I would say. My ridge pole looks like a pencil compared to his.
LHN, is that the one that will become your ridgepole?

loghousenut
07-06-2012, 09:18 AM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010068.jpg

jugaru_c
07-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Howdy ya'll

My name is Cornel and I am trying to build a log home in Romania. I bought the book by Robert Chambers and now I try to put into practice the concepts learned. Looking forward to using the forum.

edkemper
07-21-2012, 07:09 PM
jugaru_c,

Cool. From Romania. Hope you stick around and learn what we are all about.

Mosseyme
07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey there,
My daughter-in-law is from Romania. Beautiful country. Hope to visit someday. Hang out here a while maybe we can be of some help.

loghousenut
07-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Howdy ya'll

My name is Cornel and I am trying to build a log home in Romania. I bought the book by Robert Chambers and now I try to put into practice the concepts learned. Looking forward to using the forum.

Cornel.

It's a good book but we here on this site mostly prefer a different method of construction for our own log homes. The LHBA class teaches a very simple way for a non-builder to construct his/her own log home with his/her own hands. Very simple and most of us think it produces the strongest log home possible. Keep reading.

slamasha
07-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Dear LHBA-ers!

We are Maria & Slava. Originally from Russia (Moscow). Living in US ~20 years. We have been entertaining a log house dream since long time ago. Once I found Skip's site on the internet (back in 2004), it was clear to me that it's exactly what we've been looking for! We took a class from Skip in 2004 at his Monroe property, attended a couple of LBHA member meetings and also helped some guys on the building project. However, at that time it was obvious we were not ready (both financially & psychologically). We took our time to keep living the way we did and see where it goes :). Finally, it "converged" to a strong desire to build... So, this year we started to make some moves :). I quit my job and took another class from Ellseworth & Steve in LV. Currently we live in Seattle area, WA, but looking for a land near Sequim (Jefferson or Clallam county). We plan to start building next spring, if not earlier, as Sequim area doesn't have snow and seems to have bearable winter temperatures. Skip taught us not to rush, so we are not in a hurry. Thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom and knowledge!!!

Cheers!

loghousenut
07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Welcome aboard Maria and Slava. Was great meeting you two the other day!

panderson03
07-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Dear LBHA-ers!

We are Maria & Slava. Originally from Russia (Moscow). Living in US ~20 years. We have been entertaining a log house dream since long time ago. Once I found Skip's site on the internet (back in 2004), it was clear to me that it's exactly what we've been looking for! We took a class from Skip in 2005 in his Monroe property, also attended a couple of LBHA member meetings, also helped some guys on the building project. However, at that time it was obvious we were not ready (both financially & psychologically). We took our time to keep living the way we did and see where it goes. Finally, it converged :) to a strong desire to build... So, this year we started to make some moves. I quit my job and took another class from Ellseworth & Steve in LV. Currently we live in Seattle area, WA, but looking for a land in Sequim (Jefferson or Clallam county). We plan to start building next spring, if not earlier, as Sequim area doesn't have snow and seems to have bearable winter temperatures. Skip taught us not to rush, so we are not in a rush. Thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom and knowledge!!!

Cheers!
welcome back Maria and Slava:) glad you checked back in!
sounds like you're ready to jump in!
can't wait to see how your build progresses.
see you on the member's side:)

Blondie
08-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Hey! Cornell,
Where are you in Romania? I did a bit of traveling when I was there adopting, years ago. I got a boy from Satu Mare area and a girl from Atid Hargita.

Blondie

Christofori
08-07-2012, 04:07 AM
Christofori here, checking in from Utah.

Looking at the possibilities of building in the next year or so up in Southern Idaho or Northern Utah area, the Idaho side of the border is the more likely of the two.

I have a hundred questions, including about the September class.

Blondie
08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I am in SLC, know several members building in the area. What can we do for you?
Blondie

loghousenut
08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Definitely log home country! Fire away.

Dogwood_55
08-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Hello all from the Ozarks of Arkansas. Wooo Pig Soooowie!!

I've got 5 or 6 truck loads of large cedars and need something to do with them.

Gonna follow up with a few questions.

ShellyBear
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Often a reader and still waiting getting the hubby onboard. He is skeptical for variety of reason he says but I think it's cost (class) and what people say the cost to build can be. As with anything in life if we wait long enough we can get things cheaper or free. That part I understand well. Doing a lot of the labor - free, well not paid for with dollars. Trading earning dollars for ones own labor a better way to state it.
So Maybe he will and Maybe he won't is were it all is at.
Enjoy the forum anyway

loghousenut
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Mrs. Bear,

What is his real hesitancy? If your Husband doesn't feel a burning desire in his guts for the challenge of building his own log home, and if he is not actively seeking a project that will be, at times, all consuming... Well, you don't want to be the one to force him into it.

If, on the other hand, he is looking for all those things and is worried that the LHBA way of doing it will cost too much or that the class cost is too high... Well, keep prodding him.

All I know is what has worked for me and what I see working for so many other folks who have fallen into the LHBA trap. It is a lifestyle change for a lot of us and very few would ever go back. I can think of no better or cheaper way for a family to build their log home. My Grandkids will love mine when they are old and grey.

If this type of project is what he is looking for, then he is darned lucky to have a Wife behind him and pushing rather than in front of him and digging in her heels. Send him out to my place and we'll let him climb up and touch the ridgepole and decide for himself.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Rafters9-2010149.jpg

PS... Welcome home.

ShellyBear
08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
It is funny - he has built or helped, several regular cabins, pole barns, remodeled several homes with others. It is hard to explain but I sense paying for a class x2 is to him a expense he says "why" to. That make any sense to you? He can build a regular cabin and they are beautiful when done. So he says why to paying for classes when he is unsure of value to himself. He's a tough sell or an evasive one anyway. He says he loves a log home so this adds to my frustration in it all

donjuedo
08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Does he know of the guarantee?

Peter

ShellyBear
08-11-2012, 12:24 PM
He's been following this forum for many more years than I have Peter so the short fast answer is a big yes.
Over the past 3-4 years we, ok-he has, accumulated a 20x28 building full and I mean FULL, of windows and doors and shingles and vents and hundreds of 2x4-2x6-2x8-2x10 lumber, kitchen cabinets in maple, birch, pine and I have no clue what else lies behind these things but the building is full except for a 4' aisle. He has been buying cheaply, salvaging new looking stuff when it is there and at times getting free items from people he knows. I think we have maybe 5 kitchen fulls of cabinets. It is over the top but he says it depends on what we do. Ok - so what will that be hun?
The manner and "lifestyle" of this forum he already lives in. He needs a kick start to do it. It boils down to the cost of the class and whether he gains enough to justify the $3000 plus with travel costs and hotel and all it will be. I understand him on this a bit I guess. Maybe I need just him going and see if that sells the deal.
Now watch and see him post a rebuttal here! I doubt so as he tuned out when LasVegas became the class destination. Hands on - he would say yes. I just know that. Oh well - I will keep trying

Shelly

loghousenut
08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey Shelly,

This will probably really upset you, but he reminds me of me.

marvlus
08-13-2012, 08:38 AM
He needs a kick start to do it.

Shelly

I see this class as being a kickstart. I am going to the class over Labor Day weekend to get enthusiasm and knowledge. I believe that will be a kickstart for me to get this done, well worth the money.

Christofori
08-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi,

I am in SLC, know several members building in the area. What can we do for you?
Blondie

Thanks Blondie, I'm only a month or so into the whole process, and I'm not sure what else to ask for help with yet!

The chance to look around other folks builds would be nice, but I don't want to get in the way, but I'm interested in just about everything, from foundations, (specifically ICF), to the last screw in the roof!

If you know of any folks that won't object to a visit, please feel free to draw their attention to my posts, and anyone can message me, if they can stand my sense of humor!

edkemper
08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Cristo,

One of the advantages of having other members help out on a build is they've already taken the class and have a lot to offer. With no class, you'd just be manual labor. Not exactly what Skip had in mind. We tend to try to keep to the winning strategies. Class first.

Christofori
08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Cristo,

One of the advantages of having other members help out on a build is they've already taken the class and have a lot to offer. With no class, you'd just be manual labor. Not exactly what Skip had in mind. We tend to try to keep to the winning strategies. Class first.

Why do you say I have no class?

I din't offer to work... yet! But I'm interested to see, but without expecting anything except a walk through and some inspiration, I take the point from other Skip ideas included, "not turning current builders into teachers", there is a fine line between putting things off, until the people are post class, and putting people off.

At some point somebody may want to encourage with a 30 minute tour, or a happy word, rather than discourage and denigrate people for having no class!

I may have warped sense of humor, but after living 50 years, I'd think there are things that I have to offer, with or without class!

Christofori
08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
The post above was somewhat another part of my sense of humor... or lack of it, especially about calling you out on the first no class part.

But there is some seriousness about the encouragement, and that you get further with a kind word and a big stick, than just a big stick!

edkemper
08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Christofori,

> Why do you say I have no class?

You know, when I wrote that, it didn't sound the same as I read it above. I meant you didn't go to the class yet. And yes, you are a lunatic and have a lot to offer and seem to fit in here just fine. You do make me smile.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, You are nuts. We are nuts. I meant/mean no disrespect my friend.

Christofori
08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Well if I'm going to be a nut, I'm going to be an acorn!

Then if we can all live long enough, we'll be able to have a picnic beneath my spreading bow's... only takes 70 - 80 years! ;-)

spiralsands
08-14-2012, 06:07 AM
From what I understand about the builds of others, many family members and friends of members, even strangers who are boy scouts, help out on builds without ever having taken the class. It's not a prerequisite to actually do labor at a build. But this is an internet forum and nobody really knows who you are. I'm not being unfriendly but I would be a little nervous about inviting an internet forum stranger to my remote property without that person actually being vetted though his commitment to the LHBA.

Know what I mean? Maybe the male members wouldn't think of that but I do.

Frances

Timberwolf
08-14-2012, 06:12 AM
And it would be a violation of the TOS of the forum to boot. ;)

edkemper
08-14-2012, 03:42 PM
That is more in line with where I was going.

Christofori
08-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Well I am a family member... to my family. I'm friendly to my friends, neighbors, and just about anyone else I can help. I used to be a boy scout and my sons still are. I'm not trying to help out on a build. I am not trying to find out if like the idea of laboring on someone else's build. All my internet friends know who I am. How many more posts does one need to make, to commit to the LHBA before one can be vetted.

I do understand that there are some folks that won't invite strangers out to the wilderness, but I hope that there are some folks that don't get freaked out inviting strangers over.

If I found the money for the class and went to Vegas for the Labor day weekend, how much less of a sociopath does that make me? Not really that much, it just makes me a sociopath with a little more disposable income.

I find it shocking Timberwolf that viewing a build is a violation of the TOS of this forum... (thanks for the heads up, I checked and found them and rule 28 was being violated), I'm sorry for violating the TOS of this forum, I wonder if I should stop searching the internet for LHBA builds, because I don't want to violate the TOS by looking at pictures of other peoples builds.

Please disregard wanting to see things about build before I'm a full member.

I want to thank those that extended the hand of friendship... I'll return periodically to check for the next class as I won't make it to tho Labor day class.

Thanks for all the time and effort that is put into the site.

C'ya

Mosseyme
08-14-2012, 08:27 PM
OUCH!! Guess he told us!
On the other hand I don't invite anyone I don't know to our build. Of course I feel like I know a number of the good folks on here. Just hope w hen we do get to meet they don't turn out to have some other use of all the chainsaws around here!!! LOL. just kidding--I think:):eek::rolleyes:

spiralsands
08-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Maybe he doesn't realize he's only on the public side of this forum and that there is a member's side that he doesn't see.

Christofori
08-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Maybe he doesn't realize he's only on the public side of this forum and that there is a member's side that he doesn't see.

No; he fully realizes and understands that there is the members side... but he can't see in that side, or ask questions there, until he has "waited for the class"! Therefore he can not see how much nicer it must be, to ask a question, throw out an idea, make a suggestion, listen to or read a reply to which the answer is not..."wait for the class"! :-p

Going back to busily waiting for the next class!

rreidnauer
08-15-2012, 05:19 AM
How many more posts does one need to make, to commit to the LHBA before one can be vetted.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . I very rarely respond to this thread, but I'm going to make this one post, and leave it at that. The very reason that it's so rare for me to post here, is the same thing that you are interpreting as nonacceptance/resistance, and that is, no member on here has anything to gain/loose by convincing you of the LHBA methods. No number of posts would place you into a "class of status". There are even full members who I wouldn't necessarily want at my property. There are terms of service that members adhere to, which may not make complete sense to some, but for having this incredibly helpful forum at their disposal, we fully accept them.

The fact is, a lot of people come across this site. Some decide they think it's baloney and move on, some ask a ton of questions and get upset when everything isn't answered to their liking, and move on. Still others decide to take the class, but for whatever reason don't continue to participate on the forums, and/or never build. Then there are those who take the class, build, but never participate on the forums. And there are those who adamantly participate on the forums and build. It's a mixed bunch. Where will you fall in?

There is a certain bit of "leap of faith" required. You can go off angered/puzzled or you can "take the chance" that this could be a good move for you. Like I said, the participants of this board have nothing to loose or gain of your decision, but I hope you may see thorough your frustrations, and make the call which works best for yourself.

Christofori
08-15-2012, 06:40 AM
... to my remote property without that person actually being vetted though his commitment to the LHBA.

Frances

. . . . . . . . . . . . . I very rarely respond to this thread, but I'm going to make this one post, and leave it at that. The very reason that it's so rare for me to post here, is the same thing that you are interpreting as nonacceptance/resistance, and that is, no member on here has anything to gain/loose by convincing you of the LHBA methods. No number of posts would place you into a "class of status"...

My question on what gained one the vetted status came from spiralsands comment above... and I know that it's from taking the class, and from continuing to contribute with questions and answers on this and the other side of the forum... how is one expected to gain that... well by taking the class of course!

The fact is, a lot of people come across this site...And there are those who adamantly participate on the forums and build. It's a mixed bunch. Where will you fall in?

It is still my intention to participate, take the class, build, and continue to participate in the forums... but then they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions! ;-)

There is a certain bit of "leap of faith" required. You can go off angered/puzzled or you can "take the chance" that this could be a good move for you. Like I said, the participants of this board have nothing to loose or gain of your decision, but I hope you may see thorough your frustrations, and make the call which works best for yourself.

There sure is a leap of faith, but there is also a chunk of knowledge gained by researching things posted both here on the forum, in other log builders forums, and builds by people who have gone through the class and a build, and would be the first to admit, that they did not see themselves building a house, due to age, lack of experience, lack of faith, etc. And yet they did actually learn more than enough to complete their builds... what more could you ask for a working system for teh common man, (or woman). I'm not angered, but I am puzzled, though that's because you can't taste the ice cream in the store, until you've learned how we make it, take the class, that and the fact that I was unwittingly in breach of the TOS, I did click the link that doesn't work in, (I think), the Solar section, so although I had tried to read them I had failed.

I hesitate to be a pain, but if the forum is maintain through the fees generated from the class, then everyone has something to gain if more people take the class, my decision as I've stated several times is to hang around and read the forums, and await the next announcement of another class, and then to have my name on the attendees list at the top of the list, then make a pain of of myself with lots of questions on the members side of the forums, then get on with my build, then make a pain of myself asking more questions, or perhaps even answering a question or two somewhere sometime.

Thank you for a cool head and a light touch Rod!

p.s. If only I had found this place a month or 6 weeks earlier, I would be booked on the labor day weekend class, and that may be a minor source of possible frustration... not that I'm admitting to there actually being any frustration, you understand!

Going back to waiting for the class!

loghousenut
08-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I spend enough time on this forum to have gained an extra 30 uneeded pounds. I first took the class long before the internet, and was able to learn, from a 2 day class, enough to get me off my feet and doing the kind of things that allow me to snag a forum name like loghousenut. Heck, I've been a loghousenut since before they invented capital letters!

This forum wouldn't exist without the class support and the "members only" structure. You've already googled log home, log building, B&P, log house, and on and on and you know what kind of worthless drivel happens to "yahoologhomesonthenet.com" etc.etc.

There is a different type of relationship that develops on the members side that cannot possibly develop here on the public side. So why not just have the members side and open it up to the public? It would turn into yahoologhomesonthenet.com and it wouldn't take long.

So why not just get rid of the public side? Because most folks are smart enough to eventually move on after they have built a home for their family, and this whole thing would shrivel up and die.

I don't make a dime from the business that happens on this site and yet I will happily support it and play by the rules right up until my Wife insists that "Two hours a day is too much time to spend on that stupid computer and I'm leaving!". I follow the rules here for several reasons but mostly because I don't want to spend that extra hour or two per day on the public side. The public side is not that much fun compared to the members side. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are gonna be so much more interesting and fun to banter with once you've taken the class.

Christofori, you unruffle your neck feathers right now and listen to me... You will agree with everything I'm saying, the day after class. Take the class, and sit back and relax and think about life with no mortgage until then. You're young. You have time, and if you die between now and Vegas none of this will matter anyway. Here's what I want:

I want folks like you taking the class so that there will be a steady supply of students keeping this thing alive. Sounds kinda "Ponzi" but it's not.

I want folks like you taking the class so that we'll all have a common bond on the members side. You will fit right in.

I want folks like you taking the class so that we will all speak the same language on the members side.

I want these things so badly that I won't invite you out to my place til the day after you go to Vegas. I'm cooking steak and you have a place to stay any time you like, once you're through the class.

Trust me on this one Christofori... You will be singing this same tune next year. I can't wait!

PS... I made up the name yahoologhomesonthenet.com

BenB
08-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Wow - the last 2 posts sum it all up nice and tidy.
I imagine the "leap of faith" and inability to be involved in a current build or at least watch the process chases many away a lot of folk. Then it also be true that some jump in "devil be danged" if you will.
Last week I spent 4 days hiking in northern MN...3 days before that in northern MI....doing nothing but looking at old log cabins and homes and lodges that were built 80-120 years ago. Many have had the forest grow up and surround them, some have been empty 30-40 years now and if you cleaned the animal litter out and re-roofed them almost without exception they could be lived in once again. Many were built by Swedes and were cope, some were butt and pass, a couple were deviations or hybrids of both.
To me it speaks huge as far as the longevity of a log structure no matter what the build style it was ..... we hiked in about 4 miles to the old Joyce estate up north of Grand Rapids,MN and I was in absolute AWE of what remains from that 1917-1922 "compound". I could clean up any of the structures and move into them within a week, likely less. I bet I have 50 pictures of the remaining structures on Trout lake - the place was heaven on earth. If someone wants to see them let me know and I can post some here .... if you help me figure out how that is. lol
Do a google ---- Joyce estate, grand rapids,mn....you'll want to see them. ;-)

I digress - I really bet the numbers of new members would quadruple if people had a chance to either do a hands on at the class or at a build site of someones. For many of us it's that touchy feely thing. I confess I still do not understand the reason it's not allowed but imagine there is a reason that I guess I cannot grasp in the tiny mind of mine. For those that participate so much on this public side - thanks. I really think you are the ambassadors of LHBA and w/o such I really am not to sure how many would jump into a class without you being here. That would be a massive leap of faith and in todays world may be would not be taken by so many. (?)

BenB
08-15-2012, 09:13 AM
LHN snuck a post in .... so let me add the "last 3 posts" lol

panderson03
08-15-2012, 09:41 AM
great post BenB. PLEASE take the class so you can help us chink!!! we're having a party to do the outside in 2 weeks but I bet we'll be having another one soon to do the inside!! Mr. B, if we can do it you can most definitely do it!

edkemper
08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Christofori,

> if the forum is maintain through the fees generated from the class, then everyone has something to gain if more people take the class,

I think that is the point, we don't want everyone to join just to make this bigger and bring in more money from the classes. That is more of a corporate mindset. But more is not necessarily better and that is what we promote. We want people like you (I'm guessing by our past posts). But there are many other people not like you that are more interested in things we are not about as a group. Many visitors are more interested in selling us something, a product or promoting another style of building they have a financial interest in.

We want the next generation of members to keep things pretty much just as they are, simple.

Don't let this frustrate you. The real fun is just around the corner my friend.

BoFuller
08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
It is what it is. "Qwich yer bellyaching"
I'm about ready to make the whole bunch of you stand in the corner.
:)

Mosseyme
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing Christofori coming to the other side. I'm expectin him to give LHN a run for his money.

Boatbuilder
08-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Hello
My name is Jim and I live in Alberta Canada. I have a fishing lodge on Vancouver island and I am thinking about building myself a log cabin there. My nephew has a wood miser band saw that I may be able to use to help with the project.
I joined this forum looking for info on how to build a log cabin.
Thanks
Jim

loghousenut
08-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Jim,

You're at the right spot if you want to build this cabin with your own hands. Keep reading and look carefully at the log homes in the album. Each one built by the owner.

We have a lot in common. You're a boat builder who wants to build a log house.... I am a log house nut who wants to be a boat nut.

Christofori
08-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Hello
My name is Jim and I live in Alberta Canada. I have a fishing lodge on Vancouver island and I am thinking about building myself a log cabin there. My nephew has a wood miser band saw that I may be able to use to help with the project.
I joined this forum looking for info on how to build a log cabin.
Thanks
Jim

If you have the time and the money get yourself in the Class Labor day weekend, Las Vegas NV... the class has a money back guarantee, but I don't think you'll need to ever use it.

The class covers all the information to pick you up and show you a route to build the cabin of your dreams, there are still slots on the class, until you take the class, it is hard to grasp why the class is so important, but without the class it's just too much information to assimilate, the class has a structure that will make it all clear.

http://mechanicaltransfer.com/classes/log-home-class-sept-1st-and-2nd-2012.html sign up, sign on, get busy!

Boatbuilder
08-20-2012, 06:53 AM
I am actually a welder by trade. I built 1- 25' cuddy cabin boat for west coast fishing. It took me 2 years of weekends and evenings to complete but it was worth every minute of it. It has fished for over 3000 hours now and works awesome.
The problem I have of building a log cabin is that I live 20 hours away from our place on the coast. I would like to prefab it at home and disassemble it and put it back together out there. Not sure if this is possible but thats the plan for now. I'm just beginning to research now.

Thanks
Jim

Timber
08-20-2012, 07:07 AM
in this doom economic time for many...the best thing Skip taught was to stay out of debt, dont overbuild , dont get vision of grandeur<lol> . nothing like having a nice home...nothing worse than not being able to afford it!

dakota.abe
08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi ! This is Dave and Denise – we live in the Sioux Falls, SD area now but are planning on building our log home in the Black Hills of SD or points west in a couple years.
We are set to join the 2012 Labor Day class in 10 days and from what we have found out about this group it will be very informative! It seems our mindset dovetails with the LHBA’s so it should be a very beneficial experience for years to come.
We hope to find others in our vicinity who may be able to use our ?help? on their LHBA home at some point if schedules allow.

loghousenut
08-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Welcome aboard Dave n Denise... So what did you folks do with Abe?

dakota.abe
08-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Abe is alive and well.
He appears every now and then, when you least expect him!

loghousenut
08-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Well I don't expect him at all right now... Why hasn't he appeared??!!!

Truth be known, I don't really care about Abe at all. I'm more of a Dave and Denise kinda guy. Welcome home.

loghousenut
08-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Ryan,

Read all you can on this site and look closely at the students homes. It's all about building your own log home. If I can do it, you can do it.

You'll be welcome for as long as you like at our place as soon as you've taken the class. You'll like it here. Most of the best scenery in America is within 4,000 miles.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Row710-31-09013.jpg

Kevin
08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Hello log homers!
I'm Kevin, 31, Husband and new Father, a psych/detox RN.
I have always been "handy" and "Crafty", and have had many opportunities in work/residence where construction/reno was required.
I love some of the houses that have been built by members, and think that this is the building philosophy I will be using to build my "forever home", but I'm still on the fence as to whether The Class is in my future. You see, I'm fairly intuitive/conceptual, and a bit obsessive about educating myself on topics that intrigue me. There is a wealth of knowledge here on the public side, not all in one thread of course, that one can put the into the big picture (along with pictorial info and straight up "how to" on blogs). If there was an East Coast Class (like in Asheville, NC... hmmm that's a great idea... ) I would go. It really is about money, I am super cheap ;)

Anyways, I've been on the land hunt for a while now, looking for that perfect piece. A South facing piece, with a year round creek (head enough for hydro), bordering National Forrest, 30 min or less commute, unrestricted by HOAs, cheap or creatively negotiable.... and so on... you know, the GOOD stuff.

It's late and neither the land, nor the log homes, are going anywhere fast. So good night, and thanks for sharing Yall's knowledge with the web.

Kevin

loghousenut
08-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Kevin,

Glad you found us. I too am cheap... Most say too cheap.

A word to the wise. Had we not taken the LHBA class, this place we are building would have cost us ssooooooo much more. I am forever in the debt of Skip Ellsworth for what he started here, and I am thoroughly pleased with what it has turned into. You can go it alone if you want to but, trust me, it ain't the cheap or the easy way to get it done. This thing works.

PS... No, I don't make a nickel off of any of this. I'm just a guy building a log home and enjoying the ride.

Mosseyme
08-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Welcome Kevin,
You have come to a good place. But the best of things come with a price. In this case taking the class is cheaper than not taking the class.
Asheville? Clyde is where I spent some of my youth and my family are still there. We are building in Murphy NC area and there are several other builds going within 50-100 miles. So if you decide to become part of this family there is help all around. My husband and I are both RN's and there is another RN building not far from where we live in TN. We are becoming well represented in this family.

blane
08-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Kevin,
I am also the kind of guy who likes to educate himself as far as I am able, but when it comes to building a home that will house my children I want it to be done right. Trust me on this, even if you take the class you will still be self educating yourself along the way. The class will give all the details on how to build the most solid and well built log home you have ever seen and the best part is they can teach you how to do it without a mortgage. So if you are "cheap" the price of the class is peanuts and will actually save you thousands of dollars and teach you how to avoid having your home rot to the ground.

Like LHN I make nothing from my participation on this forum, and that is the best part of a community like this. People here genuinely help each other. I live only 30 minutes from Asheville myself but I traveled to the extreme side of the country in Washington to take my class, and every penny it cost me has been recouped from the knowledge I gained not to mention the opportunity to see some beautiful country.

panderson03
08-29-2012, 05:55 AM
HI there Mr. Kevin. so great to have another RN here!! I know there's alot of info on these public forums but the key building details are reserved for the class. I'm pretty cheap too; pinch every penny!! but the cost of the class, hotel, airfare for the 2 of us is MINIMAL compared to how much money we've saved using the principles outlined in class. you sound like a pretty independent thinker so I know you're going to have to make up your own mind about this. all I can do is give you my own personal experience. for us, taking the class has been one of the best investments of our lives. (and if you don't find the class helpful, there's always the money-back guarantee... ). welcome. I'm glad you've found us!!

Timber
08-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Check and see if you can write the school off...i did..its class >101< whatever that means!
you might even feel beter if you take a vacation while at it.:cool:

skip the class? no

GreenEyes
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty "cheap" too, and have never traveled much. I first discovered the LHBA website when we were house-hunting and getting ready to buy during the summer of 2004. Found it again 2-3 years ago while cleaning out my e-mails. I sent another e-mail to my husband saying, "This link still works, and I still think this is a cool idea."

I loved the LHBA website and photos, but was afraid to spend so much money for us to take the class. And I never did find airfare and hotel prices that I thought were "cheap" but then I'm from Alabama. I think our costs of living are pretty good here, so perhaps that's why it seemed so expensive to us. But we are living in an old manufactured home on 3 acres of land we love and really want to build a home. So last year when one of the "next class" announcements came out and the first day of class was on our 18th wedding anniversary, I told my husband maybe it was a sign we were supposed to take the class. (He was ready before I was. The total cost was what was holding me back.)

So we registered for the class, then checked prices for airfare and hotel separately and in packages, in several different places. Finally decided to stay at Harrah's, where the class was. Paid for it separately from our Delta airfare from ATL to Las Vegas, because there was a deal on the buffet on Harrah's website, and it seemed to be cheaper that way. (May not always be that way. I'd recommend pricing it both ways.) We did not rent a car, but used a shuttle to and from the airport. Went out to dinner on our own the first night (and paid for a taxi both ways), used the buffet at Harrah's for breakfast Saturday through breakfast Sunday, ate snacks in our hotel room, and had McDonald's a couple of times. So we did our version of cheap to get to the class. We flew into Vegas on Friday afternoon/evening, then left around lunch on Monday, so it cost $1390 for the 2 of us to attend class, $870 for airfare, and about $465 to stay at Harrah's. That's a lot of money for us.

And it was worth EVERY CENT! I think LHBA has a money-back guarantee on their class cost. Can't imagine someone who is serious about building going to the class and not believing it was worth the cost. You'll get a ton of info in those 2 days, good notes, and support from the LHBA members. The members only forum and the support (and sometimes actual help building) from other members is something that you would not get most places. And that greatly increases the value. You might be able to figure out a way to do this yourself, but the LHBA way is tried and true. We also bought the house plan set after class, and hope to build the 40x40. I feel much better having plans that were specifically engineered for a log home.

If you think you might want to take the class, I'd recommend doing that before trying to build a log home, as I believe that will disqualify you from attending/joining LHBA. Their goal is to save people from making costly mistakes in building. I grew up knowing a little about home construction because my dad helped build 2 of his family's homes and a huge addition on another brother's home. So I've been around it, seen the process, and even helped a little. Log home construction is very different. I went to the class thinking we might be able to use this method to build a log home. I left class totally convinced we can! I saw photos of homes built by inexperienced people, and we have way more general construction/repair experience than that already.

We paid our mortgage off last August, 2 months after attending class June 4-5, 2011. Hope to be able to start building next spring. I highly recommend the class!

panderson03
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM
congrats on paying off the mortgage, greeneyes!! what a big step!! let the planning begin :) how FUN!

Lanesue
09-01-2012, 02:57 PM
At age 52 my husband I decided to build a log home. I mean all by ourselves. The logs had to be authentic, hand hewn from structures built prior to the civil war. This should be easy.....:
1. We had recently moved to TN from Denver. City slickers!
2. My husband is heat intolerant.
3. We don't have any money
4. We are raising a young grandson
5. We moved onto our land, into a (1976) 5th wheel, with grandson and a Persian cat named ,Banjo, in tow.. Our only vehicle, a 1982 Mazda RX7.

Impossible? Stay tuned...

panderson03
09-01-2012, 06:43 PM
nothings impossible!!
glad you found us:)

loghousenut
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I wish I was 52.

I'm staying tuned... I think it is doable!

spiralsands
09-01-2012, 08:00 PM
At age 52 my husband I decided to build a log home. I mean all by ourselves. The logs had to be authentic, hand hewn from structures built prior to the civil war. This should be easy.....:
1. We had recently moved to TN from Denver. City slickers!
2. My husband is heat intolerant.
3. We don't have any money
4. We are raising a young grandson
5. We moved onto our land, into a (1976) 5th wheel, with grandson and a Persian cat named ,Banjo, in tow.. Our only vehicle, a 1982 Mazda RX7.

Impossible? Stay tuned...

I'm 56 now...joined here when I was what...50? I'm a single woman building with the help of her adult daughter and others yet to be hired. I also am heat intolerant. Spent 25 years in the Florida torture chamber and was heat stroked in summer 2010. Moved upstate NY in January 2011. Glad to cool my skull in the white, grey winter. I'm presently working on a build of a Little House to stay in while we build our larger log home.

I'm lately into encouraging any woman who is afraid to build alone...I guess I've pretty much beat down the stereotypes and want a little company in the journey.

Frances

Petra
09-08-2012, 05:24 AM
My name is Petra, Iam from Czech republic and Iam going to make my dream come true :)
I believe that I can do anything with proper tools.
I always went against stream and I will do so till the end of my days.

housetruckin
09-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Welcome Petra! Coming to Vegas in November?

My name is Petra, Iam from Czech republic and Iam going to make my dream come true :)
I believe that I can do anything with proper tools.
I always went against stream and I will do so till the end of my days.

Gomer
09-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Welcome Petra! Coming to Vegas in November?

Petra has to have already attended a class at some point as LHBA member is under name

Petra
09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Thank you! I´ve been in Vegas last weekend :)

Petra
09-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes, last weekend ;)
And Iam happy I did it.