PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

silcoxjh
09-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey Tim. My wife and I will be at the October class too and if I remember correctly I think the only confirmation you will receive will be a charge notification on your card. Just fax in your membership application and that's it. If that's wrong, somebody set me straight. Looking forward to seeing you at the class!
-Jay

stump
09-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Very amusing story, however you will be disappointed to know that I am not that person. What part of our country are you in? Near the maritimes?
Stump

St. Louie Boy
10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the forum. I am in St. Louis but am planning on building this spring south of Rolla, Mo. along the old route 66 near Devils Elbow on the Big Piney River. Hope to chat with others in the area. SCOT

JohnnyCoho
10-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi All !!
My Name is John Koenig from good ole' Rockport, Washington! I took Skip's class back in the mid 90's sometime.

I've been working on my "Log Home" since 2003... yeah, yeah I know... and still not done yet. As a full time fishing and hunting guide here in the NW I worked on my home when I could. Then, went through a pretty long drug out nasty arse divorce here recently and could'nt even touch my place till the divorce was all final. Pretty much took it up the arse to keep my Log Home dreams alive and its somthing I think only the other "Log Home Nuts" out there could understand.

Back, "ON TOP OF THE WORLD" again !!! WAHOOOOOO!!! Recently re-married to the "true women of my dreams", Corrina Koenig, I'm back on track again with our Log Home and now have a completion date goal of May 2008!! Corrina and I look forward to meeting many of you soon!

I used to have all of my Log Home progress pics up on my web-site and over the past few days (been rained out from my fishing trips) I've taken the time and set up the "Koenig Family Log Blog" ... Here's the address: http://blog2.johns-guide-service.com/ I've put up all the old pics and updated the Blog with all of our new progress pics too. If ya get a moment check it out, register on the Blog and leave comments or questions there as well.

marshall noriega
10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi, I'm Marshall Noriega and I live in Southern CA. I am looking forward to the Oct. 21-22 class. We have already purchased land in Williams, AZ and look forward to building our log cabin there. I wear several different hats...I am a manufacturers rep. for Oase Pumps and Filtration Systems Inc. On the side I teach classes on artificial rock sculpting and do a few projects throughout the year. I learned the masonry trade back in high school and enjoy doing brick, block and stone work. Can't wait to interact with other members and share ideas on building techniques.

kyle
10-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Hi All !!
My Name is John Koenig from good ole' Rockport, Washington! I took Skip's class back in the mid 90's sometime.

I've been working on my "Log Home" since 2003... yeah, yeah I know... and still not done yet. As a full time fishing and hunting guide here in the NW I worked on my home when I could. Then, went through a pretty long drug out nasty arse divorce here recently and could'nt even touch my place till the divorce was all final. Pretty much took it up the arse to keep my Log Home dreams alive and its somthing I think only the other "Log Home Nuts" out there could understand.

Back, "ON TOP OF THE WORLD" again !!! WAHOOOOOO!!! Recently re-married to the "true women of my dreams", Corrina Koenig, I'm back on track again with our Log Home and now have a completion date goal of May 2008!! Corrina and I look forward to meeting many of you soon!

Hi John, glad to hear everything has gotten back on track not only with your log home but with your life. Best Wishes to you and your new family!
PS...The updated pics look awesome!!!

greenthumb
10-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Hi, I'm Marshall Noriega and I live in Southern CA. I am looking forward to the Oct. 21-22 class. We have already purchased land in Williams, AZ and look forward to building our log cabin there. I wear several different hats...I am a manufacturers rep. for Oase Pumps and Filtration Systems Inc. On the side I teach classes on artificial rock sculpting and do a few projects throughout the year. I learned the masonry trade back in high school and enjoy doing brick, block and stone work. Can't wait to interact with other members and share ideas on building techniques.

Marshall, Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy the class. I'm interested in artificial rock sculpting- do you have any good books or websites you'd recommend for me to learn more? I've worked with stone a few times in my landscaping business... So as not to get this thread off topic, could you email me? john_galt27@yahoo.com

Thanks,

kirkdsmeeton
10-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking forward to take this course on our return trip to Canada. We have a 2.5 acre property in northern Canada that would be perfect for a log cabin. I think this course would be very helpful to get it going. I also have long believed that there had to be practical alternatives to a extended mortgage. Actually the word "mortgage" comes from a french root word that means "death". Why do so many people think its normal to sign a 25 yr. note and pay thousands of dollars interest to have a roof over their heads? Chow (great web site)

Drew
10-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Hey everyone,
My name is Drew. 25. Grew up in a log home, and cant wait until I can say I've built my own home. I will be attending the Nov. 10-11 class. I'm located in Long Beach, ca. Will be relocating to South Eastern Montana next spring. We have land up there so that seems to be one of the large steps already covered. From What I've read this is a great crowd, and look forward to getting to know more of you.

Nebraskagirl
10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
I've been a little slow reading the forums and I read this requesting an introduction. My name is Erin and My husband's name is Billy and we are attending the class in October (well, here in a couple of weeks). We are ranchers and I work as a biologist as well. We live in Nebraska...we own a lot of pasture land, and some of the land has sites with electricity and water already in place. We don't have a lot of trees, so we'll be in the market to buy some logs. We're hoping to get some from Colorado, or learn of the best ways to shop and also what to look for in a site to help us choose the location. We have been living in a free trailer house.....not a nice one by the way. Ever since we were engaged, so we're fortunate to make the time to attend the class and hopefully start taking the necessary steps in the learning process to building our log home. We would like to offer to assist in anyone's project once we return from the class, that is in the mid-west region.....Colorado seems to have some members, we'd like to visit some sites or exchange resources if possible..we're in SW Nebraska. Kola, if you get that stock tank Hot tub done, we'd feel right at home....If you're needing a stock tank, we might have an extra that needs re-tarred. I look forward to meeting the rest of the gang here.

Erin Goings

Upers
10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Erin and Billy,

I am attending in October as well... I have a small lot on a lake in the UP of Michigan, but it will likely be a while before I get to actual work outside of clearing the lot... So I would also be interested in helping and learning as I go. I look forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks.

Pat

Stuart Campbell
10-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Hello,

My wife and I currently live in Glasgow, Scotland and are planning to move back to the NW near Mt Baker were we would like to buy some land to build log homes on. I have already built a kit cabin here at home which is 3.5 x 8.5m in size. We used eco-friendly wood preserver, paints and hemp insulation on the building. We currently use it as an office.

It was always my intention though to build a 'real' log home for us and perhaps some smaller cabins for rent; if the dream workes out! The main problem barring all this (apart from the money aspect) is that I need to aquire the skills and experience needed. I'm confident I could build a manufactured log home as I've done it once already and there is no cuting or 'almost' no cutting involved.

So my dilema is: Do I scramble about trying to get the skills to build a 'real' log home or should I settle for building a kit.We are looking to move back to the US in about 2 years.

Any advice about builiding in the NW might come in handy. Cheers!

Fonda
10-06-2007, 05:10 PM
My husband Richard and I are very happy to be taking the class in October. We live near Mobile, AL in a small town called Grand Bay. We have 28 beautiful acres in Mississippi, 45 minutes north of us and can hardly wait to begin building. We are so thankful that we didn't begin any project on the property before we discovered this site. We teach massage and spa therapies, nutrition, have 2 teenagers, 2 babies and 1 in the oven, homebirth and homeschool. We bought several seasons of the Northern Exposure DVD's just to get glimpses of the amazing house.
We have power, water and a tractor. All we need now is the class and some help.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Richard and Fonda Denney

Nebraskagirl
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Pat,
I look forward to meeting you at the class. It's just around the corner, we're getting very excited; as I'm sure you are as well. See you on the 20th.
Erin

SeeNickBuild
10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Hey every hows it going,
First off my name is Nick I live in the flat plains of good ole' North Dakota. I have been in love with log cabins since I was young, but never saw much of them due to ND's lack of trees. Anyway I am 24 and married now, no kids (yet) and just want to make this a reality. I own a farmsted in the red river valley here and would love to make the dream come true. My wife is on board but the whole idea seems so daunting. I would love to hear some success stories, I have seen the pics they are amazing! Better then any kit on the planet. Can this really be done on a tight budget, thats the real question.

Thanks for everything

Nick

Eric Clapner
10-11-2007, 05:08 AM
Greetings:

My wife and I will be attending the November 10-11 class, and can't wait to get there. Frankly, we've wanted a log home for years, but they aren't really appropriate for where we currently live in South Florida.

We'll begin looking for properties after we attend, but for now, we're focusing on the Ruidoso, NM area. Who knows if that's where we'll end up, but that where we're starting to look.

maverick0509
10-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Greetings, Just a quick note to say hello to all the forum members...I live in South Fl. Stuart, on the east coast. I do have some land, but need to obviously come and take the class. I would also like to know if anyone has a location as to where to get logs in this part of the country. Thanks, Randy btw, Jennifer Flcowgirl drop me a note we are not that far away!!!

mikeyssocool
10-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Steve,

This is Michael, I'm going active duty soon but I just want to keep intouch with all of you who can help with me going to Montana. I'm single and going through a divorce, I took the log home class in October 18, 05, and I'm going to purshase some land in Montana. I'm also getting my name out there to meet new friends through out the log home dream. Any advice on land please feel free to email me, if any body knows friends up there please contact. In the near future, I just mite be station in FT Lewis Washingtion, this is not confirmed at this time.

mikeyssocool
10-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi David,

Name is Michael and I'm looking to move to Montana, I'm in the army going active soon. I want to purshase land up there but not sure where. Can you give me advice on lovation, jobs, military base,stuff like that.

Thanks,

Michael

Americano del Sur
10-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi there Steve and all, I am new to this site. I actually live in central Brazil, working as an ex-patriate and been thinking of building an alternative home back in the andean region of Venezuela, 3.000 mts high. Log construction is been considered by my wife and me. Pity the palae for the courses is so far away from home. Any ideas? Any chance of getting DVD's with instrucctions or on-line knowledege ready to be downloaded? If it's possible we would appreciate it. thanks, Regards to all

copscott
10-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Greetings from Texas, my name is Scott and I'm a brand new site member, just getting involved with log cabins. I recently purchased an original Pioneer Mormon log cabin on E-Bay that must be moved from it's original location. It's in the Bear Lake area of NE Utah and turns out to be the original homestead cabin of the area along the old Oregon Trail. It also turns out that my family may be related to the original Hodges homesteaders who built the cabin in the 1800's before it was a state. We are all from teh same part of Somerset Engalnd and were not even Mormon or from Utah. The cabn has been well preserved under another home structure until the 90's, thus its in good shape allowing us to lift it whole and place it on dollies, ready for it's new home,,hopefully in the same area. The story has caused quite a stir and has been well reported by many paers and the AP with a possible documentary following. Anyway this has restirred my interest in building a new log home for my family here in the panhandle of Texas, so your site and bloggers are going to be helpful. I plan on attending some school,hopefully one of yours, and finding a source of logs and help,,both for the old and new. Im mot a wealthy guy, so keeping it simple has always been my way,,I only paid $1025 for the cabin and I hope to join your ranks of members who have built their dream homes on their dreams,,,thanks Scott

Bill P.
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Steve
Hope to see you all soon, I am booked for the Nov 10-11 Class.
Apart from myself and some writing materials ( sense of humour ) do I need to bring anything else.
Hope the cookies are all they are made out to be.

Cheers for now
Bill P.

StressMan79
10-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Bill,

I would recommend a big flashlight. A 6V lantern if you have it. The road to Skip's is long and steep. And if you didn't know, you (unless you make arrangemnts with Steve/Ellsworth) have to walk. Not bad in summer, but pretty dark in November when you finally leave around 10 PM. That reminds me, it is likely going to be rainy that day. I wouldn't recommend an umbrella, but a rainsuit/windbreaker would be a great idea.

See you in the forums,

logdoc
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
HI, I am hoping to leave my job with the Forest Service soon (retire) and get on with building a log home for my self near Stanely Idaho.
I have reconstructed several log cabins www.logdoc.com but would like to be on the student end of the training process for a change to see what is new and interesting in log cabin construction.

Joe Gallagher

pinecone pam
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the group! Sounds like you are a fearless soul! Great! Good luck with your project moving the cabin. I too have a similar project I am in wait to start. My aunt was only 8 years old when my grandfather began building their log house. My dad wasn't even born yet. She managed to contact (through the post office) the present owners of the house. It was built in 1929. The house has gone through a lot in the years. The new owner has only acquired it recently, but was truly happy to have contact with the original builders. We were in hopes of purchasing it to move to one of our family ranches in New Mexico, (it is currently in Michigan) but right now he is in glory living in it. He loves the little place, can't say as I blame him! Anyway, he has had many questions, but has definately agreed to give us first option at it when/if he decides to sell. We stay in touch, because you never know what might happen. Of course, I followed my Grand dads steps, I had the dream to build my own home and did. So to acquire this cabin would be another dream come true! In the meantime, I'm so glad someone has it that appreciates it. Some of the previous owners did not. This man has put a lot into it. I have tons of pics of the house in various stages, from 1929 all the way to now! Isn't it awesome that you might be related to the builders? Funny how life works. Congrads and best wishes!

Pam

Mr Mike
10-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Newbie Mike from Savannah just wanted to say hi to everyone. Been reading and feasting on the site for the last few months. I'm excited to be going to the Nov10th @ 11th class. Hope to be building in the N Ga Mountains or Tri State area. Will be lot shopping around 1st of the year. Anyone in the areas I'm Looking or in Savannah area? Thanks Mike

ezyplay
10-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi Mike, we all feel the same way! I am so excited, it's hard to imagine the experience! My wife looks at me like i am from another world (Venus or Mars). Some people get it and others, well... We made the right decision and the rest will take care of itself. See You there. I hope to build in Eureka Montana or look for a place in Washington state.
Jim

robertghuff
10-19-2007, 07:47 PM
hey Rocklock i was wondering if the members only section is up and running or am i doing somthing wrong i seem to be having trouble getting in
i went to the class a couple years ago. I liked the old web site better then again i am not very computer literate my email is rhuff6@cox.net

sestarr
10-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi Steve,
I took the class with my wife Tammy in April of '04. It's been a long wait, but we will be starting our log home this next spring. I would like to attend at least one of the members meetings this winter, so would appreciate info on the schedules. Also, have tried several times to get acces to the members area of the site without success. Just sent another "access request" email, so hope that works.
Looking forward to getting back in touch at one of the meetings this winter.
Stephen.

Imgonnabuild1
10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Just jumping in on this. I was re-searching the kits until I stumbled onto this. WOW I almost went the wrong way. I am very interested in this to the point of anxiety! I have already purchesed 41 acres with an unbelievable view. I am very mechanical and learn quick. The first question I have is where do we get the logs from? I watched the cabin build in Alaska and I was impressed however the supply of wood there seems plenty. The acreage I own has young growth and needs more to go. So with that said, do you ask the mill or are there companies out there that will sell direct?
There's always a way!

Klapton
10-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Several methods of getting logs are covered in the two-day course. Some are more costly than others. Buying from a mill is indeed one way to do it, but definitely the most expensive. If you think about it, for a mill, selling you their logs is a matter of opportunity cost. They already paid a logger to deliver the tree. So for the mill, they are basically giving away board-feet. So they are pretty much going to charge you the amount they would have made by milling it.

The most common way is to find independent loggers. There are some very important negotiating tips covered in the class, but basically you find a way to make it worth the logger's while to deliver to you rather than the mill. In other words, you will need to pay more than the mills will pay, especially because you are going to be fussy about having nice straight logs with minimal taper etc. The most important magic word, of course, is one that every hard-working blue-collar guy loves -- CASH.

My advice to you, before you do anything else (except maybe doing your well and septic, since you already own the property) is to wait for them to announce a new class, and sign up for the next one. You will learn TONS of good stuff there about how to build your house in a cost-effective manner. And you have to forgive folks for not just coming out with the stuff. Some of these juicy tidbits are just too good to be broadcasting them on the internet, lest someone ruin it for us. (Like government bureaucrats who make it their life's goal to make it more costly and difficult for you to own a home).

Imgonnabuild1
10-29-2007, 08:24 AM
I hear you on big brother's way. I myself work for em butI dont like em. I love my country! Thank you for the information. Many key points there and I am not even in the class. I can only imagine how much information that class has. I want to attend however, for me to fly out is making it out of reach. Will there be another here on the east coast towards Maine? If so, do you have the dates, because im in. Thanks.
There's always a way!

Klapton
10-29-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't know if they ever do classes on the east coast. Basically, they have facilities in place at Skip's log home in Monroe, WA. To do it anywhere else would mean extra travel and expense for the instructors. So I'm not sure if it will happen.

While I can certainly feel your pain regarding air fare and costs, (I just bit the bullet and spent that cash myself, flying from PA), it's definitely worth it. The course will MORE than pay for itself in reduced building cost from what you will learn, and most importantly in AVOIDING costly mistakes you might make by NOT having taken the class.

So, without trying to be too much of a smart alec, I'm going to quote your signature and say, "There's always a way!" You just have to find a way to get the cash together and make it happen. It WILL be worth it. Even building an extremely inexpensive home, the 1-2k you spend on the class and airfare will be a very small expense in the big picture.

ChainsawGrandpa
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
This may not ease your financial pain, but Klapton is so right.
Here's a quick story from Skip's class.

-Skip:
"A guy called me and said he was going to build a kit log home, and why should he take my class.
I said; "You fly out. Stay in the best hotels, rent the nicest cars, and eat at the Space Needle,
and if you don't think you got at least double your money's worth, then I'll pay all of your expenses."
He called me later and said; "Oh man, it was worth all you said and more. I don't want you to cover
my expenses, by taking your class I'm so much farther ahead and you saved me many thousands."

If there is any problem with the class it would be this:

You will get back home, and be so excited that you won't be able to sleep. You'll dream of quick part-
time jobs to buy your plans, and also to have cash on hand to buy materials when you see them for
sale at give-away prices. Every time you drive past a piece of land you will dream of a log home sitting
on it and wonder if that land is for sale. That burning fire of a place to call your own, that you can
build: 1. At your leisure. 2. With your own hands 3. Without a bank breathing down your neck, will
drive you nuts! You will have sat in your new home, in front of a warm fire burning in the fireplace
for a thousand times before you even pour your first drop of cement, and that desire will drive you
up the wall until you can help a member work on their place, buy your land, or do anything that looks
even a little bit like forward progress.

That desire will cause you to sell your home and do things others might consider crazy like; live in a
tipi, a yard building, or a partially finished storage shed, and you will love every second of it because
you're getting free, living your dream, and actually living life rather than be the walking dead.

My body is getting too old to fall off roofs, get hit in the head with boards, and sleep in a freezing
storage shed that's still not close to being finished, but I don't care. I love every minute of it. A
gorgeous supermodel lying next to me on the beach in the warm French Riviera, or living my dream
working on my place in the hot summer sun, and freezing my tail off on cold winter nights. The babe
on the warm beach sounds nice, but no thanks... I'll live my dream. Yeah, that's how sick I am, and
my guess is you will be that strange too after you take the class.

Anyone who takes the class already has a burning desire, and a head full of questions. After the
class, the questions will be answered, your eyes will be opened to new and creative ways to make
your dream come alive, and the burning desire will turn into a roaring furnace.

Are you ready to see your life turned upside down, and start living? It may not be that bad for you.
It may even be worse. But my guess is that your dream will drive you to the point of living a full life,
every day of your life.

Ok, stepping off my soapbox and taking a few valium.

-Rick

Klapton
10-29-2007, 10:30 AM
A gorgeous supermodel lying next to me on the beach in the warm French Riviera, or living my dream
working on my place in the hot summer sun, and freezing my tail off on cold winter nights. The babe
on the warm beach sounds nice, but no thanks... I'll live my dream. Yeah, that's how sick I am, and
my guess is you will be that strange too after you take the class.

I agree with everything you said, except the supermodel part. Since she doesn't seem to interest you, could you give me her phone number? ;)

Kola
10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Rick nails it.

I call it LHBA Fever.

Highly contagious and non-curable.

It is good to be "sick" with the LHBA Fever.

ahhh AHHH...CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Kola

Imgonnabuild1
10-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I AM NOW COUNTING MY CHANGE FOR THE TICKETS........... I have chased down my dream of owning land and for ten yrs and I finally got the peice I wanted. That was three yrs ago. Since that time I have done two more tours in Iraq and the whole time I have been rattling my brain on how I was going to get everything paid off quickly in order to build. Like I stated above, I was going fo the kit not knowing this even existed. The other thing I see is that anyone who has attended has nothing but great ideas and huge amounts of key information. I have an unbelievable view of the western MT's in ME. Last weekend I walked the upper portin and found my site to build. 12 beers into trying to figure out cost and finances I quit thinking about it. During the long drive I was thinking about my friends kit from Canada. Wasn't to bad for 13,000 however it wasn't a total log. Mostly post and beam with few logs in it so it must have been a rip for someone else. I know have a new avenue to pursue and I know its the right one. My mind has been very uneasy since I have been trying to figure out the how to for the cabin. Now its very easy to breath and my wife is getting nervous. She knows once my mind is set I am going to do it and there is no way to stop the motion. I do really appreciate all of the information today and I really am counting my change because "there is always a way". Also I am also into living my dreams. You can take the chick on the sand give me the cold and MY OWN BUILD.
There's always a way!

ChainsawGrandpa
10-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Last summer I went to a class reunion. One of the former cheerleaders* from high school
(yes, she looked great**) was talking with me. She asked what I was up to. When I
mentioned the words "log home" she said; "LOG HOME???!!!! I LOVE LOG HOMES!!!! Oh,
I've always wanted a log home (she cooed with that "far away", sweep me off my feet
and take me with you look in her eyes). For a while she was on me like glue. My wife was
standing right beside me (she wasn't about to leave), but it didn't stop me from enjoying
the moment.

Build a log home, head to the beach, find a babe, and tell her you're building a"log home"....

-Rick

*Are they ever former? Once a cheerleader, always a cheerleader I say.
**Actually, she looked spectacular.

hawkiye
10-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Last summer I went to a class reunion. One of the former cheerleaders* from high school
(yes, she looked great**) was talking with me. She asked what I was up to. When I
mentioned the words "log home" she said; "LOG HOME???!!!! I LOVE LOG HOMES!!!! Oh,
I've always wanted a log home (she cooed with that "far away", sweep me off my feet
and take me with you look in her eyes). For a while she was on me like glue. My wife was
standing right beside me (she wasn't about to leave), but it didn't stop me from enjoying
the moment.

Build a log home, head to the beach, find a babe, and tell her you're building a"log home"....

-Rick

*Are they ever former? Once a cheerleader, always a cheerleader I say.
**Actually, she looked spectacular.

LOL! Rick your on a roll I love it!

Blayne

ChainsawGrandpa
10-29-2007, 02:30 PM
It was kinda like;
"hey honey, could you go and refresh my beer?"
You don't drink beer.
"Well right now I could use some whiskey!"
You don't drink, besides we need to leave.
We are expecting company tonight.
"Oh really? Who?"
Mr. Rolling pin! Grab your ear, porcupine!

I'm taking bids on the cheerleaders phone number.

-Rick

Ohhh...is this thread wandering....

Kola
10-29-2007, 04:32 PM
That was damn funny Rick!

btw... I like the quote you have posted under your name: "Wealth is the number of forward days you can live without dependence on other beings."Buckminster Fuller

that says it all.

As of right now I have about a weeks worth of wealth.

me gots some work to do,
Kola

headed_for_Montana
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
My husband and I are planning a move to Montana in the next 1 1/2 to 2 years. We have 2 small children ages 2 and 3. It has always been my dream to be debt free and more self sufficient. I am so glat that I found your web site. I have also always dreamed of living in a log home. Too much of Little House on the Prairie I suppose. I am not interested in getting rich, just want to truly live life with my family.

Do you need any special skills to build your own log home? Is it really as easy as it sounds?

Thanks, Karen

Klapton
10-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Do you need any special skills to build your own log home? Is it really as easy as it sounds?

I just took the class, and haven't built my house yet. But I can relay this little tidbit. During the class, one of the instructors said what Skip's response to the question, "How hard is insert_task_here?" They said his response is, "It's the hardest thing you will ever do ... until the NEXT hardest thing you ever do." I think "easy" is the wrong word. Building a log home is going to be lots and lots of HARD WORK.

Do you need any special skills? Yes and no. You need some special KNOWLEDGE, and that's why you take the class. Even then, it's not rocket science either. A lot of the things you learn in the class will seem like "common sense". Things that you would probably figure out anyway if you just thought it through. The nice part is that the instructors have already thought it through MANY times, and learned by mistakes etc. so they can help you to not make them.

But there are no "special skills" involved that a person of good health and average intelligence can't do once shown how to do it. For example, swinging a sledge hammer. You need some physical strength to do it, but not a college degree in Hammerology. (And there are ways to make driving rebar easier too, the tools just cost more, hehe.)

So, yes and no. Yes it IS "as easy as it sounds". It's also the hardest thing you will ever do. The important thing is that you CAN do it, as long as you want it bad enough. You are smarter than a log, aren't you? Of course you are. Then you CAN do it. That's probably the most important message one gets from taking the class.

dvb
10-31-2007, 05:36 AM
I would not say it is easy. We have been working weekends for the last couple of summers to get ready to build. (Two year plan) We only have weekends and and not many of those, so don't judge your progress based on ours. We plan on pouring the foundation next spring and start stacking logs after that. We have most of my logs peeled and will finish peeling over the winter. Our property is at 8,700 feet and you can't work there over the winter until you have a roof. We have gathered our building supplies the "cheap" way and do not have a loan on anything. We will finish by October 2009. That seems like along time to get our house, but think of it this way; Can you find a part time job that will pay you enough money to have your house paid off in four years? We will have a completed house in four years of work and we won't owe a dime on it.
Easy, it is not; rewarding it is!!

HorseMan01
10-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi,

my realname is Hans, and i'm from germany. I'm verry intersted in loghomes (and building them), something that over here isn't popular (at all). Therefore "good" information on the topic is not realy available. I hope to find the needed informations here at lhba.
Oh, english is not my native language, so please bear with me.

Best regards

Klapton
10-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Herzlich Wilkommen im LHBA! Ich bin vier Jahre bei der Army Band in Berlin gewesen. (Ja, ich war dabai). Es ist seit 15 Jahre, also mein Deutsch is sehr schlim.

Ahem... ok, that's all I'm going to try, after 15 years, lol. Welcome to the LHBA forums. Building in Germany will certainly be a challenge. First you have to find land you can afford, hehe. We have the same problem here in the States in some places, but have the advantage of having a relatively fresh continent we stole from its inhabitants a mere 200 years ago. (Wasn't very nice, but it's too late to change it now.)

I know that codes on "Neubau" construction is MUCH more stringent than "Altbau" too. Let us know how things go for you. I'd be facinated to hear about it. I wish you the best fortune in your endeavor!

Viel Gluck!

Sawtooth
10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Hello All,
It feels good to be here! I took the class back in May of 2007 and have been making steady progress towards making log home construction a reality. Very anxious to learn more.

Sawtooth,

DougR

KingLewey70
10-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Which weekend in May were you there? My brother and I were there the weekend of May 12-13, 2007.

Travis

Mr Mike
10-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Arriving about 12:30 11/9 Fri Seattle/Tacoma Airport for weekend class, going to Monroe Best Western. Lv Mon AM, If ya need a ride let me know

See Ya soon, Semper Fi my Brothers.... Mike

ginniepig
10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Greetings from Georgia:)

I discovered the LHBA website a couple of years ago while I was living in Hawaii and dreaming of owning my own home. My parents built a log home from a kit several years ago in SC. I have several friends who have bought log cabins in the North Georgia mountains that were built from kits. I LOVE the idea of building and living in a log cabin, but I have never been keen on the cabin kits and I never really knew why. I discovered this site and am beginning to learn why.

I am now back "home" in Georgia and am sick with this dream of building my own log cabin and living debt free. I'm not yet 40 years-old and my friends think I'm a freak (ha! but what's new?). I have signed up for the Nov 17-18 class and cannot wait. I will arrive several days early to hike and explore the area.

At the risk of jinxing everything, things seem to be falling into place. I've just received word that I will be hired for a 14 month contract that will require me to travel to Minnesota for one week, then work the rest of the contract remotely...from Georgia or SC or wherever my little piece of land might be (positive thinking - I will find land). This contract was supposed to start next week, which might have forced me to cancel my trip to Washington for the class, but it won't start until Nov 26. Yay! I'm hoping this will be the beginning of the end of the rat race for me...but only time will tell.

Can't wait to meet like minded folk at the class...so I can feel "normal" again;-) Neh, on second thought, normal is boring.

See y'all soon!

Ginnie

Mr Mike
11-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Hi Ginnie, I live in Savannah, Where in Ga are ya based out of? I'm booked in the 11/10 class. good luck. See Ya , Mike

Semper Fi my Bothers

2 cents
11-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Ginnie,

You are right, normal is boring. If your friends think you're a freak, that is a good sign! You will like it here! ;p
It's a good feeling to break away from the zombie-like masses.

2 cents

Eric Clapner
11-01-2007, 07:11 AM
...This contract was supposed to start next week, which might have forced me to cancel my trip to Washington for the class, but it won't start until Nov 26. Yay! I'm hoping this will be the beginning of the end of the rat race for me...but only time will tell...

Ginnie:

The older (and presumably wiser, although my wife tends to disagree) I become, the more I'm beginning to believe it's axiomatic that if you truly set your heart and mind to a singular purpose, other things will quickly fall into line with your goal. It sounds as if you're experiencing that first-hand.

The next step along my journey (after taking the class next weekend) will be to find the right piece of land in the right location to meet my goal. I'll keep searching diligently, but I'm pretty sure that the right property will eventually find me, as long as I keep my goal active in mind.

Congrats.

Scott

Kola
11-01-2007, 07:55 AM
...This contract was supposed to start next week, which might have forced me to cancel my trip to Washington for the class, but it won't start until Nov 26. Yay! I'm hoping this will be the beginning of the end of the rat race for me...but only time will tell...

Ginnie:

The older (and presumably wiser, although my wife tends to disagree) I become, the more I'm beginning to believe it's axiomatic that if you truly set your heart and mind to a singular purpose, other things will quickly fall into line with your goal. It sounds as if you're experiencing that first-hand.

The next step along my journey (after taking the class next weekend) will be to find the right piece of land in the right location to meet my goal. I'll keep searching diligently, but I'm pretty sure that the right property will eventually find me, as long as I keep my goal active in mind.

Congrats.

Scott
The reason you have a right to a gun is to A. form a militia B. Protect yourself, your family and your friends and C. to help over throw the government when the government stops representing the people and becomes what it has been becoming lately.
================================================== ======

Some call it the "laws of attraction" and basically it is nothing more than using positive imagery. Good thoughts create good things...and vice versa It is advantagous to visualize a "want" in our heads but better yet we can use pictures and speech to enhance it. Putting a picture of a loghome on your fridge door will constantly bombard your mind with the message everytime you go to the fridge or walk by it. You can also create a mantra and a few short words (like, "my loghome waits me") and repeat it throughut the day. I am a big fan of Tony Robbins and used his program during my college days which is based on these simple concepts. It has helped me in my persona life and in my business life. I am not "plugging" Tony Robbins but his messages are simplisitic and highy advantageous.

I am off to the Rockies. I am hoping to drill my postholes for my horse barn. I am renting a one man digger called dig-r-mobile. I will let you all know how it works as I have about 15 holes to dig and its rocky ground.

Kola

Klapton
11-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Some call it the "laws of attraction" and basically it is nothing more than using positive imagery. Good thoughts create good things...and vice versa It is advantagous to visualize a "want" in our heads but better yet we can use pictures and speech to enhance it. Putting a picture of a loghome on your fridge door will constantly bombard your mind with the message everytime you go to the fridge or walk by it. You can also create a mantra and a few short words (like, "my loghome waits me") and repeat it throughut the day. I am a big fan of Tony Robbins and used his program during my college days which is based on these simple concepts. It has helped me in my persona life and in my business life. I am not "plugging" Tony Robbins but his messages are simplisitic and highy advantageous.

I am off to the Rockies. I am hoping to drill my postholes for my horse barn. I am renting a one man digger called dig-r-mobile. I will let you all know how it works as I have about 15 holes to dig and its rocky ground.

Kola
You know, I tried this when I was in high school, and she STILL didn't go out with me...

rreidnauer
11-01-2007, 08:43 AM
I LOVE the idea of building and living in a log cabin, but I have never been keen on the cabin kits and I never really knew why.
Same here, but I can tell you why. When I'd bring up log homes with Dad, he'd always spew the same list of reasons you do not want a log home. (of course he didn't say "kit" log home) He'd say, cost much more than regular built homes, termites are a big problem, you got to constantly adjust for settling/shrinking/gaps, there's a constant stream of maintenance requiring expensive chemicals and sealants, they are drafty, they're dark and dingy, and they are a fire hazard.

Of course, years have gone by, and I've come to learn he's wrong when applied to LHBA construction, but I can't convince him of that. (or he doesn't want to admit he's wrong) Just remember, not everything your parents tell you is good advice.

You know, I tried this when I was in high school, and she STILL didn't go out with me...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/lol.gif

ginniepig
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm currently living in Marietta which is just north of Atlanta. I would love to build in the North Georgia mountains; however, my father has an extra lot next to his cabin in Walhalla, SC. That would be the most obvious place for me to build, since I could probably work out a deal with my father.....and brothers and sisters:)

I would love to meet up with folks (fellow freaks?) in my area (GA/AL/SC/NC/TN etc) to discuss plans, lend a hand on cabin build, etc.

Really can't wait to attend the class the weekend before Thanksgiving. Should make for lively discussion with the family over turkey...hope they can handle it...lala...

Spurs
11-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Spurs Hello,, We first found this site some time ago by accident, when we were having trouble with the county trying to force us to get a building permit. We balked considerably. We found Terry's name here and had quite the visit with him. Bottom line, we did not get a permit, but instead posted our place.
We could not find the site for along time as we did not remember where we had been, (being in the state of mind that we were at the time). I was searching for information on insulating stock tanks and found you again.

This is a great forum......... We live in a log cabin up in the mountains and plan on adding on this spring. We have lived here for 19 years, and just got water in to the cabin this spring. Each new improvement is great satisfaction, and amazing what most people take for granted....Spurs

curbyk5311
11-03-2007, 05:02 PM
hi david, saw your post on here and wonder if you built your log cain yet? i live in laurel mt and an gonna start building mine in the spring. would sure love to hear from you with any suggestions you might have as i can use all the help i can get. thanks a bunch and hope to hear from you. kathy

oceanmaster
11-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi
My name is Alan. I decided on an alternative low impact lifestyle about ten years ago. I bought an old yacht to restore and convert into a live aboard cruiser. The project took three years to complete. After two years of sea trials in the Irish Sea and a good deal of night classes on navigation and seamanship my girlfriend and I set off from Liverpool Marina. We travelled south, crossing the English the Channel to France and into The Bay of Biscay. That was in 2001 and we are still cruising the Atlantic coast and offshore islands of Europe.

To cut a long story short we found a beautiful and unspoilt part of rural France and made it our base. In Aug 2006 we bought a parcel of land overlooking the river where we keep the boat. It now has two caravans one static one tourer where we have lived for the past six months managing and developing the land.

Now back in the UK looking via the internet for the solutions and answers to problems. The land consists of five terraces cut into a hillside overlooking the flood plain and river Villaine. The largest part of the land is wooded with pine and hard woods. The first time I saw the land and woodlands my immediate response was that this needs a log cabin anything else would be impractical.

So while seeking the knowledge I have surfed myself to this site. Already much useful information has already been gleaned. It is very heartening to find so many like minded people. What I really need is the system of construction and techniques to build a Good log cabin. It is unlikely that I will be able to attend any classes in your part of the world given that I am based In Europe. Can any body help me out here
watery planet I will need a boat

ChainsawGrandpa
11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
"Do you need any special skills to build your own log home? Is it really as easy as it sounds?
Thanks, Karen"

Hi Karen,

Google Dorothy Ainsworth. After that, maybe pinecone pam could help you out.
They both built the bulk of their homes. Dorothy built two log homes, (not by
choice), and Pam wants to start another one. Of course they had help, but both
Dorothy and Pam were the driving force. Drive and determination can replace a
whole lot of skill, knowledge, youth, and money.

Pam said she had a LOT of people stop by to look, and more than a few stopped
to tell her what she was doing wrong. Interesting how Pams house came out
perfect without leaking air, water, and rodents, and that is a common problem with
the homes of the people who advised her of how "wrong" she was. Strange that
Pam's house didn't settle....

Your log home can be as basic or extravagant as you like, but both Dorothy and
Pam built show palaces!

-Rick

stephdog
11-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey party people,

My name is Stephanie. I'm going to be attending the class this upcoming weekend (Nov 07). Looking forward to it!

Currently I reside in Southern California, but I'm moving to Southeastern Montana next year.

Mr Mike
11-06-2007, 01:51 AM
See Ya at the class this weekend. Did they (powers to be) change it to a party? Oh dear, I better bring some party pants:) just kidding. I used to live in SoCal, El Toro and Newport Beach area, for about 10 years. I'm coming from Georgia, so ya all don't wait up for me, ok ;) Seriously, Great Memories will be created this weekend. Take Care , Mike

Semper Fi my Brothers

Kola
11-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Welcome doobies.. I mean noobies.

Avoid those mercury laced flu shots and catch the LHBA FEVER!!!!

sick and happy,
Kola

Kola
11-06-2007, 06:50 AM
btw what the heck are party pants?

me being part redneck I would think they were camo pants or bib overalls.

??

2 cents
11-06-2007, 07:10 AM
...or maybe those big billowy MC Hammer pants!

LOL

OwnProudly
11-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Thank you for welcoming newcomers to this forum.

I am a real estate agent, and found this web site and forum as a result of having listed for sale a log home that was built by a former student. I have learned some things here, I look forward to learning a lot more, and maybe I will be able to contribute something of value now and then.

Mr Mike
11-10-2007, 03:53 AM
kola, I think 2 cents was in the ballpark with a MC Hammers parachute Pants. However with that said, and as an x Marine, trousers are worn by men and pants are for women according to drill instructors at MCRD San Diego back in mid 70's. I own camo and bibovers, but I don't think they will get me into the Marine Corp Ball. OH well, I,m sleepless in Monroe, west coast is 3hrs behind us in Ga. Up since 2am and Class won't start for several hours yet, But i'm excited to be here. See ya all soon. Mike ps To ya alls relief I left the party pants at home

Semper Fi my Brothers

Eric Clapner
11-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Mr. Mike:

Glad to know I'm not the only East-Coaster who is awake in their hotel room awaiting the beginning of class in a few hours. I'm afraid that by 8:00 PM (at the end of the class today) I may be propping my eyes open with toothpicks...

Scott

Mr Mike
11-10-2007, 04:36 AM
I too am thinking, i'm usually snoozing by 9pm, How do I not passout as they're giving out some critical info. I can drink a gallon of coffee, and still be asleep in an hour. Reminds me I gotta go down for a cup of java. Later Mike PS any ideas to stay alert that doesn't involve pain, I'm all ears.

Semper Fi my Brothers

Eric Clapner
11-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Mike:

I tried to stay awake as long as I could last night to force myself to adjust to the three-hour time change, but sitting at dinner at the Clay Oven at about 7:00 last night I was struggling to stay awake (BTW, thanks to Rick for the terrific recommendation - great Indian food, although our server had some trouble). I think I was out cold in bed by 8:15...

Mr Mike
11-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Scott, I almost went there last night, but opted for a burrito, which Monroe doesn't seem to have a shortage of. I was out early, dont recall clock turning past 7. Then up @ 2:15,
btw Folks Best Western is ok, however they don't have the Playboy, oops I mean the Fox News Channel. Later Mike

Semper Fi my Brothers

Chelleinga
11-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Hello people, I'm Richelle my husband Bryan & I are still fairly new to this site. We hope to attend the class soon. In the mean time we are looking in Alaska for land.We are currently living in GA.

Bearkats94
11-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Howly from Midway Texas

My wife just ran across the web-site and looked at some of the pictures and said wow this is real cool. We wood love to do something like this, but the 15 ac. we have is prairie land with some mesquites. Their is a guy down the road from us that been building a house like the ones in the pictures that at first we really didn't know what he is doing, but know we do by see these pictures. My parents has a ranch with some hard wood on it and was wondering if you can use it to build a house out of them are do you need soft wood. One way are another we will do something like this one day like this we really like building a house all natural.

silcoxjh
11-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Hey Richelle,
Welcome to the group! My wife and I are planning a move to Alaska as well. Where are you looking? We are considering the Kenai Penninsula, but are open to just about anywhere we can find the perfect piece of land. I hope you can take the class soon; it was the best investment we've made!

Chelleinga
11-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Jay,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Bryan & I are also looking for land around the Kenai Penninsula,although we are too are open to a nce piece of land anywhere we can find it.

lhiggins
11-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm a teacher, and looking to build log cabin home for my daughter and I. I've been looking around, but I'm not sure what to look for??? Additionally, I want to build it myself, but I'm not sure if that is possible in the location that I want to build (NC)??? I believe I can, but where and how to get educated on the construction is confusing... This is what I want to leave to my daughter when the Lord brings me home... You have a great web sight, but I wish the classes were closer to NC so I could take them....

Trust in the Load always...... :)

Klapton
11-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm a teacher, and looking to build log cabin home for my daughter and I. I've been looking around, but I'm not sure what to look for??? Additionally, I want to build it myself, but I'm not sure if that is possible in the location that I want to build (NC)??? I believe I can, but where and how to get educated on the construction is confusing... This is what I want to leave to my daughter when the Lord brings me home... You have a great web sight, but I wish the classes were closer to NC so I could take them....

Trust in the Load always...... :)

If you want to build your own log home, you have definitely come to the right place. Lots of people balk at the cost of airfare etc. when considering taking the LHBA course. I did. But I can tell you without reservation that what you will learn in the class will save you much more in your building project than the cost of flying out to take the class. Not only in many of the money-saving tips you will gain, but also saving you from making costly mistakes. LHBA does offer a no-questions-asked, money back guarantee on the cost of membership as well. And that really does mean no-questions-asked. There is no catch. They are that sure that what you will learn will be worth it. And I have yet to meet anyone who wasn't satisfied that it was money well spent.

When they say you will learn "everything you need to know" to build your log home, it's not PRECISELY true. I have no construction experience myself, and I have found that there are LOTS of things I will need to learn before my project is done. In other words, they don't teach EVERY aspect of construction you will need to learn to build your own home. But they teach you everything that is DIFFERENT about building a log home, compared to ordinary construction. To do your own wiring, for example, you would still need to get some books and study up on wiring. But they will teach you how to install wiring in a LOG home (stuff like how do you get outlets and switches in a log wall? etc.) I hope this makes sense, lol.

For Donna and me, we needed to decide whether a project like this was something we actually COULD do. For us, even if we had decided that we really couldn't pull it off, we would have saved ourselves from a huge, costly mistake of trying to do something we really couldn't do. So even if we hadn't decided to go ahead with our dream log home (and we ARE going to go for it!) it would have been money well spent, if only to know for SURE that we could or couldn't do it.

Whatever you decide, I wish you success.

jfarhi
11-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Lhiggins,

As a North Carolina resident, I can tell you that I took the course in October, 2007 to learn how to build log homes.. It was well worth travelling cross country to meet Steve and Ellsworth. They are really knowledgeable guys and will teach you what you need to know - Dont forget - its not only about the log home building, it's about the change in thinking - FINANCIAL INDEPENDANCE - These guys are great - and they have my respect. My eyes are wide open right now and I am just getting started; we are looking for property in NC and we are planning to build asap. Make the effort - goto Washington State and TAKE THE CLASS.... It is well worth it...Oh - and yes - YOU CAN BUILD IN NORTH CAROLINA - I'm doin' it.....THE EDUCATION IS THERE FOR THE TAKING....STEVE AND ELLSWORTH MAKE IT SOMETHING THAT IS APPROACHABLE FOR ANYONE THAT HAS THE WILL AND DETERMINATION TO GET IT DONE.... Take my word for it... book it, take it, then build it....

Chelsam
11-13-2007, 04:51 AM
My husband and I live in Virginia (fairly close to the VA/NC border) and we are attending the class this upcoming weekend. Any nervousness or apprehension I was feeling about our decision to do this were just squashed when I read your post. Thank you!

jfarhi
11-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Glad to hear it. One thing that will be said by Ellsworth or Steve - "I'm sure that all of you have log home ideas and plans - throw them out - we will teach you how to re-think your designs." Remember - the most efficient shape is a square........you'll see it in the math..

Have fun - let's talk after you take the class - we are probably not that far apart and can help each other.

Regards,
/Jack

Importfilta
11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I am so glad I found this site, there seems to be so much and I don't know where to start lol. Well actually I do, of course its by saying "HELLO, I am very glad to be here". But after this I'm clueless, can anybody recommend to me getting together starting information? I would love to take the classes but I guess at the moment there is none?

ChainsawGrandpa
11-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum! Glad you're here with us!
The home page and forums have recommended
reading. That's always a great place to start.

Also, just start reading the old posts in the forums
and see if building your own log home is really for you.
This is an important step because:

1. The class is far too expensive if:
*you're not sure if this is really for you,
*you just want some questions answered,
*you just want to some good friends and comraderie.

However if, after reading the forums and looking at The Log Home(s)
of the month you decide it is for you, then you will be able to take
the class and put your plan into action.

Of course, my opinion of the class is; triple the price and it will still
be the bargain of a lifetime, but only if you take action.

It's easy to get excited (it's hard to NOT get excited) about having a log
home that comes without a mortgage, but sit back, take your time, soak
in the forums, and photos, and plan your move.

-Rick

Importfilta
11-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Awsome! Thanks Rick

mbrower74
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey Steve,

It was a pleasure to meet you and Ellsworth this weekend. You guys have put together a very credible and understandable process for log home building. I am enthused about the opportunity to go home and try to share these ideas with my family. We have a fairly good sized parcel of land in central MN and have talked about building a sort of community of homes for the extended family. We intend to start with a home for my folks and after the primer this weekend I do think it's very do-able. Now the real fun starts!

Hey to everyone who was at the Nov 17 - 18 class. It was good to meet you all. Thanks for the interesting perspectives and questions along the way!

See ya!

Mike B.

rybal1
11-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi, Im Ryan from Ohio. My wife and I are currently planning a move to Missoula where several of our friends live. I'm looking forward to jumping on the first available date for a log home building class sometime in January or February with the exception of Jan. 21st and 22nd because of some classes I have to take in Missoula. Anyways, looking forward to seeing you all this winter and building on some of my ideas.

Thanks, Ryan

Kola
11-19-2007, 06:09 AM
where has Steve been? he used to post in here occasionally. I miss his Japanense haiku.

Steve? come in Steve.

Kola

woodbutcher
11-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Hello everyone,
I just signed up and I am looking forward to attending the next available class.
I am a carpenter(35 years) and I am just about to finish my 3rd log structure.
Most of my log building experience (3 years) I have been selecting, falling, skidding, loading, transporting, hand peeling, scribing (Scandinavian full scribe), v notching, saddle notching and stacking.
Log building has become a newly discovered passion for me and I hope to some day make a profitable business in this field.

rreidnauer
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Hello everyone,
I just signed up and I am looking forward to attending the next available class.
I am a carpenter(35 years) and I am just about to finish my 3rd log structure.
Most of my log building experience (3 years) I have been selecting, falling, skidding, loading, transporting, hand peeling, scribing (Scandinavian full scribe), v notching, saddle notching and stacking.
Log building has become a newly discovered passion for me and I hope to some day make a profitable business in this field.

Wow, with your experience, you may find the LHBA technique almost too easy. (boring?) LOL. But no doubt, it's a great way to churn out solid log homes in record time. Anyhow, nice to see you keeping an open mind to other techniques.

Cowboy
11-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Howdy,
My wife and I will finally start building our log home in 2009! Until then, I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts and ideas.
By the way, I really like the new website.
Kind regards,
Rick

spiralsands
11-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Hello fellow forum folks. I found this website two years ago when I was narrowing down my land search. I read all the pages, all the horror stories, saw the great photos and went to all of the links. Then after scouring 47 states (excluded Texas, Hawaii and Alaska) and Canada and Mexico for land, in 2006 I bought 23 1/2 acres of mixed pasture and forest in the southwest corner of the Adirondack Mountain foothills. Why upstate New York? Because it's not only beautifully gorgeous, it's also the most incredible land bargain anywhere on earth and water is abundant.

I went back up there this past summer and camped on the front pasture while I studied the place, cut down dead apple trees and cleared an opening on the state road. I brought my daughter and 3 dogs and we lived in a big Coleman tent that withstood a few horrendous thunder and lightning deluges. There's nothing like laying right on the ground in the middle of a meadow, in the middle of the night while nature hammers out its excitement in 40,000 volt sparks.

Since then, I'm anxious to go live there permanently. This past weekend, my daughter and I went to the 'Log and Timber Home Show' in Tampa. Any of you from NC may be familiar with this show. There were alot of companies selling land and cabin packages for exorbitant amounts of mortgaged money. On the way home I told my daughter that I don't want to mortgage my property to build a home on it. I don't want any bank to own my home and land. I'm sick sick sick of working my A** off and then pi**ing away money paying interest.

So, here I am, back at this forum. I want to build my own home but I have fears about it. I'm afraid I'll not be strong enough, afraid I'll get too old, afraid I'll get hurt. I'm also afraid that I'll do a crappy job. The size of the job scares me too. Not only do I need to build a house, but I'll need a barn, and I'll need a bridge over the stream to get to the back pasture. (Soothsayer says....I see alot of backbreaking labor in your future!!!)

It looks as though this website has been updated so I'm gonna go back and reread stuff and I'm looking forward to drawing some encouraging energy from y'all that have already built or are planning to build.

Vern Street
11-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Welcome SpriralSands!
Good to see you checking out this forum. I know it will get you excited. You didn't mention how old you are but to give you some confidence, I am 67 years of age and am presently building a Skip style home. Of course it would be easier if I was younger, but on the other hand, I'm probably more careful then the younger ones because of life's experiences and I know it hurts if you screw up.

I don't know if you have been to the school yet. If not, get scheduled and go. It will be a great investment if you are planning on building.

You can see my progress at: www.vernstreet.com

Good luck!

Vern Street near Tulsa, Ok

spiralsands
11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi there Vern! No, I haven't been to a class yet. Back in '05 when I found this site, I read about the classes and the course material but I wasn't ready to commit to anything because I was too obsessed with finding a property. In fact I was still shopping real estate sites for acreages with a house. I didn't even know what state I would end up in. So now that I am a free and clear owner of my land, I want to build on it so I can live there without being bound to the power company, the sewer pipes or the water mains.

I'm actually a strong, youthful 52. And yes, you have inspired me. Maybe I'll start a weblog called "Spiralsands Builds a House!". I'm gonna see my relatives tomorrow at Thanksgivingfest and when I tell them about this they'll be pouring their fear over me like sour Turkey gravy. I know that fear is a crippling emotion and I usually don't let it stop me from plunging into something, but building a house? That's big. I put myself on the class notification list and hope to get there sometime in the next year. I wanna get out of Florida by at least the middle of '09.

JeanPierre
11-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi, my name is Jean-Pierre
I am from Luxembourg in Europe. My idea for 2008 is building a log "saloon" in Luxembourg as model house.
This seems to be quite difficult because we are not used in log houses in our country.
So I am glad that I found this web site.

I am looking forward to meeting people to share ideas of how and...............

rosenjpi@pt.lu

Brokor
11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Hello!

Just dropping in, continuing my research into building my log cabin. I plan on building in a couple of years, three maximum, as soon as my enlistment is up and I can retire from the Army. I will have a decent savings by that time and I wish to build the cabin myself in order to minimize expenditures. I have several years of carpentry experience from when I was younger (being 34 years old now), and I grew up in the outdoors, timbering and falling trees. I know what to expect, but I do not know the very best way to go about acquiring blueprints and materials -something I was hoping hanging around here might change. My father built his cabin long ago with his father, before I was born...but picking his brain is sometimes difficult, plus I am certain that a few things have changed since the 50's-60's.

I will purchase some land in PA and have it ready; septic, well, and foundation aren't problems. I do, however wish to make my cabin completely self-reliant -to include solar power and low voltage lighting, woodfire stove and heating.

I am single and not exactly looking to raise a large family, my bills are all paid and few besides, and I have no debt. I can very easily rent or buy an inexpensive trailer to live in while building, or sleep with family. I have no other plans, as this has been my goal for quite some time now as I have been saving for property. I wish to build a cabin that will not take too much of my savings and will be comfortable to live in.

Anyway, thanks for the website forum and the information. I will try and find time to attend a LHBA course in the future if possible, as I am in Europe currently. Best of luck to all of you out there who are undertaking cabin building!

Lonewolf
11-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey Ya'll, I'm Marcus from Louisiana. I signed up Saturday night. I look forward to meeting ya'll in January.

Kola
11-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Spiralsands, In the fall of 1980 I spent 4 weeks at Moose Lake in the Adirondack Mts. It is beee-uuuuu-teeeful county there. The leaves were all colored and the smell was terrific. There were 6 of us, 4 fullblood NA Indians, me,(a half breed) and a Russian guy named Ivan. We camped with whatever we could fit on our backs, food, water, pup tents etc. It was great fun. My new friend Ivan the Russian had brought up some homemade cherry vodka in mason jars with little cherries floating in there. We sipped that stuff and were "noodled up" and talking backwards in no time. I know..injuns and liqour=bad news, lol...but this stuff would have launched the Space Shuttle. The stuff hardly phased Ivan but he sure had fun watch us crazy indians whoopin it up.

Anyway, I could easily enjoy living up there. Is there much land for sale in that region and if so, is it off-the-wall- pricey?

Good luck in your journey,
Kola

oh and btw, take that "fear" you are worried about and flip it around and use it as the fuel to get your belly burnin with the passion to build your loghome. Take the class, you won't regret it.

Bessy
11-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi everyone, I'm SUPER excited to be taking the January 12&13 class with my brother Greg and my husband Jason. I'll tell you all a little about me then flood you with questions. My name is Bess, I'm 29 years old, I have 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 11 fish. I originally found this website while looking up log "kit" cabins on a whim. That was over a year ago and after reading all the posted articles and alot of the recomended reading(your low tax dream home, buying your place in the country,ect.) I officially have the "bug" or "fever" or what ever you call it. My husband and brother both took a little convincing but my enthusiasm has rubbed off and they are as excited as I am. My husband and I baught a duplex 7 years ago and lived in it for less than we would have spent on rent. Four years ago we bought a single home and now we hate the payments. My husband and I are both pretty handy, young enough and healthy enough to build log homes in my opinion. We're severely lacking in the know-how, hence the class. We're hoping that after the class we'll be able to sell our home and maybe even the duplex and use the money to buy land. We might even be able to score an RV off my grandparents. Just hope we can afford the gas to get it from Memphis to Pennsylvania. We live about 20 min. from Philadelphia international airport. Any traveling tips from other east coasters would be much appreciated. I'd also like to hear about anyone buying land or building in Pennsylvania or New York state. Based on the research that I've done so far, I have to agree with SPIRALSANDS. NY has some of the best land deals around. Plus it is so beautiful up there. I wouldn't mind staying in PA but land isn't as cheap. Rural PA does seem to have cheaper taxes though. Anyway, travel deals???? and NY and PA projects ??? THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY RAMBLINGS Bess

spiralsands
11-26-2007, 04:55 AM
I found in my land search that NY land is a great deal. Taxes may or may not be a little higher that whatever you pay right now but when I roll in what I pay for home owner's insurance in Florida, my NY tax load can double and still be lower than what I pay in taxes and insurance in Florida. I found a beautiful piece of land that was one part of an old farm that was broken up about three years ago. The original farm was about 200 acres and was first homesteaded in 1830. The guy built a big house on it and ran a stagecoach business to the next town. He sold it in 1850 to Polish immigrants and it stayed in that family until 3 years ago. The place was broken up into 10 pieces. I bought one piece that is 23 1/2 acres of rolling mixed pasture and forest. There is a stream crossing it and a dug pond. All for the bargain basement price of 55K. I'd really like to buy the lot next to mine that is a more wooded 23 1/2 acres because the seller lowered his price to 49K. I just don't have that money............YET!!

All I know is.....I'M GOING TO SEATTLE IN JANUARY!!!!!!

BrianFisher
11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
After 2 years of talking about this website to friends and family, I have finally registered for the Jan class. I have been putting this off for a long time and am excited about what I will learn.

vwebster
11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I have always loved log cabins. So, when I stumbled across this site while looking for log cabin kits I got really excited. I was excited about the prospect of NOT living under a huge mortgage, exploring opportunities to save money on energy costs, etc. Well, we purchased the weekend seminar course as an a birthday gift to my husband, and kind of a life gift for our family. He wasn't thrilled. He said the information was good. But, I think the trip was kind of doomed from the start. I think he felt kind of pressured into attending. He was a good sport about it. But, my enthusiasm for our family ever owning a log cabin has definitely been dampened. To put it bluntly, it ain't going to happen. He says it would be simpler to buy a house the normal way. We live in the Mississippi Delta, and he says there is no land or logs for sale in our area that would work.

I still frequent the site. I still think Skip's class is a treasure. My heart goes out to couples who find the courage and "get up" to get it done. It seems like a lot of hard work. If you're considering the course, and you have the heart for it - I think its a great investment. I wanted us to send our sons (18) and (16) with him. Can you imagine the amount of confidence and self reliance you give to children who can literally build their homes with their own hands? Not to mention, what a great opportunity for a father and his sons. I wish I could have attended the course, but I'm afraid although I have almost three degrees, I wouldn't have felt smart enough to handle the material. Not to mention, it's not really something you can do if you're not both on board.

But, I'm a fan of Skip and his course attendees. I love to read the stories of success, the search for land and logs, and alternative energy sources. LOL. And, I still dream of proving to myself, the government, and nay sayers that we don't all have to march in step to credit card scores, 30 year mortgages, and foreclosures.

rreidnauer
11-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, I believe this may be the first time I've heard of someone not satisfied with the course. No doubt it's a special mindset one needs to accomplish the goal. For me, it's the opposite of your husband's. I don't see a feasible way of getting a home the "normal way." At least, not without significant risks over a long period of time. True job security is about as rare as penguins in Miami. 30 years is simply too long a period to gamble with. Two or three years of bustin' butt, with an immediate 200%+ equity payoff is simply the obvious choice for me.

There are plenty of people I've spoken to that think it's not a realistic goal, and I think they wouldn't be satisfied with the course either if I sent them. You got to want to do it, if you're to take something from it. For most, envisioning something other than the typical mortgage method that's been ingrained into society, just isn't possible.

I disagree with your comment about "not smart enough." The course is very well presented. I know you would have enjoyed it. In fact, I think it's practically imperative that a couple both take the course, so both know what's going on. Nothing worse than only one going, only to have the other following blind orders during the build. Mutual understanding mean a lot here.

Also, about your location "problem." There is too much America out there to say you can't build somewhere else. Yes, we get comfortable where we've always been. Yes, our families are in the area. Yes, the kids got their social ties in school and the neighborhood. Yes, we feel secure with our current jobs. But, there is so much more to be offered when one steps outside their comfort zone every once in a while. Where am I looking for property? Just about anywhere. Does it make me nervous? Darn right!!! Leaving behind What's familure, family, friends, job, it's a big deal. But we're human. We adapt. And the payoff is almost always worth it.

2 cents
11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
vwebster,

I just had a thought. Wouldn't your husband feel silly if you took the class, and went and built a cabin all by yourself.........
Even if your degrees are in underwater basketweaving, you are smart enough. The concepts are fairly simple-- it's the actual work that's hard. That's why you need a desire do do it. If you have that drive, it will propel you through getting the work done, and I think you'd actually enjoy it because you'd be working towards a dream.

2 cents

ajax
11-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Very well put Rod.........excellant responce and stand. It is nice to know you are in some respects just as "Scared" as anyone else wanting to pursue a dream.

I agree with everything you said. Yes this is hard work, yes the logic in putting a log home together is in itself simple, but you gotta have the passion.

One of the other members, I forget who right now, always signs her comments with "Fear is temporary, while regret is permanent." How true. that in itself should get everyone out of the starting gate.

John

Kola
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
The "LHBA way" is not for everyone. The walk up the hill to the class is very symbolic. But like anything, nothing can be force-fed. Personally I fear a 15-30 year mortgage more than I do of getting dirty and sore and building a simple B&P home. Even if I couldn't hammer a nail or saw a board, I would use my brain (and the LHBA tecniques) and hire folks to build one and I would still save thousand of bucks. There is a certain breed of men and women who fall in love with LHBA style. Without that passion, all is lost.

Like in life, there are many choices. Just beacuse your husband didn't like the course and doesn't want to build, there are other ways to get your loghome. Don"t give him the guilt trip or snub your nose at him. It is better you know now than to have gotten into the project and have things fall apart. You sound like you are a smart cookie. You could study his book and notes, get some experience with another LHBA member and become your own contractor. Some folks (and one women I recall) have done just this. Never got a sore back or a splinter and still built their dreamhome.

keep the spirit,
Dr Phil (Kola)

Roadscholar
11-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi

If you want to try Kola's advice you might want to check this site out at WWW.home.mindspring.com/~kahle11/log.html. someone in the group had it up, and having checked it out, I placed it in my favorites. Good videos on the class topics and I would think, an email to people who have gone the "Build our own Log home" route. The class teaches to build in what might be callled doable stages. The forum gives you access to people who gone and done it. The big thing is it allows you to plan and build around the bank finance issue.

Regards
Roadscholar

Lonewolf
11-27-2007, 06:50 PM
VWEBSTER, where in the delta are ya'll? I'm approx 18 miles west of Vicksburg MS. I've been wanting to take the class for several years, and I'm gonna be there in Jan!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've wanted a log home since I was a little kid. And to be able to say that I did it MYSELF and that I did it MY WAY mean more to me than anything. I detest owing money, and I have it planned so that I will be off the grid completely. I even have a working rife ram pump to supply the waterwheel up at the site for hydroelectric power. I don't believe that citizen's should have to pay for the king's blessing (permits) to sleep under a roof of their own making on their own property. What Skips program is about is Freedom, and tragically most kids today can neither spell it nor define it. I really feel for the millions that are gonna lose their homes cause of the sub-prime loan bomb.
Lonewolf

Bessy
11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
as your husband is crucial vwebster. I found this website over a year ago and was ready to sign up almost immediatly. I held off after reading the recommendations of the other members. It became very clear to me that in order to be happy and successful at building our own log cabin we would BOTH need to be totally commited. I just kept reading books and info from different links and forums and telling him about it all. After seeing that this isn't a passing phase he has come around. My brother has even hopped on board and is taking the Jan. class with us. I still think I'm more enthused about the whole idea than he is. I have a feeling that may change when we take the class and he hears the info from someone other than his wife,haha. Anyway, follow your dreams and good luck. Bess

coastal1
11-28-2007, 05:30 AM
I found this site 3 years ago and researched everything I could for a year or so and then got involved with work and put my plans on the back burner for a while. I signed up for the Jan. class and can't wait. I've always been the type to steer away from the norm and this course fits my style as well as giving me a freedom not available anywhere else. I look foward to meeting you guys.

jjohn
11-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Evenning everyone.
I hope I am posting in the right section. I just found this site last night, So I wont be asking any questions right now as I will Just review the previous postings and digest the info I find.
I live in northern Alberta. In a stick fame house out in the country that I built myself back in 93. I hope to be finished soon:) It was a long 14km gravel road to no were when I built, but the city has followed me out. Its now paved to within a half a KM, and I hear we can even get city water now. Looks like its time to move.
I had looked in to log homes back in the eighties, I only found premanufacture types, and the cost was more than stick framing, So this type of log construction is new to me. I am looking for property further north, and into BC near Dawson. It looks to be reasonable land price wise. I have a full solar system to take with me, plus a couple listeriods with 5kw alternators for serious power if needed. Thats enough about me for now I will get back to reading, And I am sure I will have some questions shortly.

jjohn

ChainsawGrandpa
11-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Wow John! Listeroids!?? 6/1? A solar system also? You're already
ahead of the game. Welcome to the group and I hope you have a
lot of fun here. One other thing (along with the forums) is to google
Skip's beach resort. On the left tool bar scroll down to: ABOUT SKIP
ELLSWORTH AND LOG HOMES. A wealth of information there. Be very
careful when you read. The section was written by Skip and it is
contaminated with log home fever. Only know cure is to build a log home.

BTW...did you learn about Listeroids from George B.?

-Rick

jjohn
11-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the tip. You are right, There is a lot of info there, my eyes are sore from reading.
Yes 6/1's, one for use, one for back up. I did learn a lot from Georges web site, and from others as well. It is true once you hear one running you cant go back to a 3600 rpm generator.
I am just shy of 1kw of panels on a ground (skid mounted) frame. It is not a auto tracker frame system but I did mount a dc motor on it and ran a hand pentant control to the deck so I can tilt it(east to west axis) just by flicking a switch.
Power will not be a concern, nor will heating.

John

ChainsawGrandpa
11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Looks like you really thought this out. I did find a "do it yourself" freon powered tracker
in the Mother Earth News archives. Pretty simple and potentially cheap system. Only
problem is that it (like everything else I want to do) also costs time. A commodity that
I am finding to be in short supply.

Would really (REALLY, REALLY REALLY) like to have a Listeroid, but I already have an
eight Kw Changfa. A good unit, but it's fast, loud, and just not as sweet as the Listers.
Besides, I don't need 8 Kw, and George's 3Kw sealed head sounds wonderful. My plan
is to use the Changfa with solar to increase my duty cycle. Just don't want the genset
running an hour everyday.

Where are you located? I would love to come over, pull up a chair and just watch the
Listeroid run for hours. ;-)

-Rick

Scott Roadhouse
12-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Hello,

My name is Scott, and I attended Skips class of 9-15-01.
I have some ground in SW Utah in pinion and juniper country.
I hope to build my own cabin using the butt and pass method
in a few years.

rreidnauer
12-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Yea, I'm envious of you Listers too. You got two of them no less!!

Going off topic, the best way I found to set up affordable auto tracking, is to use a Redrok tracker. (http://www.redrok.com/led3xassm.htm#led3xforsale) This guy has made leaps and bound with his design over the last couple years I've been following it. (I'm glad I didn't buy one when I first came across it, as it had limitations it's since shed) You already got a motor on it, all you need is end limit switches (if you're using a satellite actuator, it probably has the limit switches built in) and the tracker. Although he's no webmaster, as his site is a nightmare to navigate, Duane does make and sell these little wonders for $39 shipped. (just don't buy the kit versions. They aren't worth the hassles of the few bucks saved) It's what I plan to use when I get my panels set up.

jjohn
12-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I hear the changfa's can be good units, but like you say noisy.
Due east of Edmonton, about a half hour east. Your Welcome any time, I am always loking for a chance to fire it up.

John

jjohn
12-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Rod, No I did not use a satellite actuator, Though mabey I should have it would have been easier.
Rather the threaded rod, and nut from a pipe stand, the chain disk from a bike, some bike chain, and a old DC motor from some where. It works ok. I had seen that rodrok tracker but it was a few years ago, and did not think of it when i built mine.

John

easyliving
12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
My wife and I (John & Theresa) have recently purchased a 5 acre lot in north east TX about 75 miles north and east of Dallas. We had decided to go with a log home kit and shell erection co. Satterwhite homes in Longview, TX. After learning they only use dead timber and after speaking with a few of there customers we had decided they would fit our needs, then I ran across your website!

Well after reading a lot of the info posted on here we are now considering making the next class in Jan if there is still room. My questions are many but here are a few.

Can we really save much of the cost of materials doing it ourselves completly verses purchasing their kit? We don't have any soft wood on our lot so we would need to purchase the logs. Satterwhite does not cut their logs to the precise measurements therfore reducing the risk of needing more material. Their kits come with windows, doors, roofing, interior wall timber etc.

Will we really be able to construct a home ourselves? (I know the answer to this one) but what about the foundation, obtaining the logs we need and paying for the expensive shipping and the logs them selves?

Will the class help us to erect THEIR kit? (I'm hoping you will talk me out of this)

We will soon be putting our current house on the market and using the procedes (God willing) to pay off the lot and to prep the lot (Road, bridge over creek and utilities) We have decided we want to live life for a change and I really don't want another 30yr mortgage and our plan was to at least start this project sometime in 2008. Am I asking too much out of this class?

I almost wish I hadn't come across your wonderful website now, thanks in advance for all your comments and input.

John & Theresa

ChainsawGrandpa
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi John & Theresa! Glad you're here with us. Actually, what I mean by that is;
we're all glad you're here with us on the forum, and hopefully we can have some
fun and good times talking about, and building log homes. Seems like we all have
a special kind of friendship, based on our dreams, difficulties we encounter, the
solutions we offer to each other, and sharing our (photos and albums) accomplishments.
Hope you have a good time here.

Well, I'll try and take a shot at your questions. Hopefully others will have some insight
they can offer.

"we are now considering making the next class in Jan. if there is still room."

Hurry. Register early if there is still room. I've said it before; "Triple the price of the
class and it will still be the bargain of a lifetime." The things I learned were broad
enough in spectrum that I went "outside the box" and converted principles to thing
such as: buying land (The lot I bought right after taking the class is now worth about
$70,000. I bought it for about $747). Seems like I took on a survivalist or renegade
mentality. The lessons are on building a log home, the concepts are on building a
life. You'll get some in class, some on the forums, rubbing elbows, building your model,
helping other members build so you can get hands-on experience and develope a
mind-set.

"Can we really save much of the cost of materials doing it ourselves completly verses
purchasing their kit?"

I can. Don't know what you are capable of. You may not do too well, you may exceed
everyones wildest expectations. It's more the thought patterns than the assembly
process. Don't get me wrong, you will need to know the process, but attitude, and
imagination are very important. I'm building my storage shed. The oak floor was
going to be about $3,000. Then I found the materials for less than one third that price,
now today I may have located the materials for free. We'll see if it works out. It's
important to follow the pattern taught in class, but always be thinking of easier ways
to reach the goal. Remember, it is very easy to build a beautiful log home for the
price of a car. I just decided to build a (small, 3,000' palace) for the price of a Yugo.
I can also build for the price of a Rolls Royce. The house wouldn't be any different,
just the price to build would be different.

"Their kits come with windows, doors, roofing, interior wall timber etc."

Looks like a conventional slab-on-grade home, but the walls are poles instead of
stick framed. Conventional framing is expensive. Similar to a watch. Two ounces of
steel is cheap. Two ounces that is machined and assembled into a Rolex is expensive.
The more wood is handled by different people the more it costs.

"Will we really be able to construct a home ourselves?"
Maybe. Maybe not. Ask Dorothy Ainsworth or Pinecone Pam if it's possible. They both
did a great job (for a girl) ;-) building their places. Jerry Sargeant couldn't build his, at
only 16 years old he was too young. He took the class and Skip failed to tell him he wasn't
old enough, mature enough, have credit enough, shackled with the burdens of life enough,
to take on that task, so he just went ahead and did it. Nice place. IF you do build, Have a
good time with it! Have some fun! Enjoy the process! You may be able to do it. Also, if you
do it for cash you WILL have a lot more fun. Yes, you really do have enough cash, just don't
think you have to spend it all. One member built a place for about $500. Never finished.
Someone offered him too much money for it just as it was.

"but what about the foundation"
What about the foundation?
Just do it yourself. You'll get some valuable knowledge, and satisfaction of having done
it yourself. You will also save a lot of money. It's covered in class. It's no big deal, and
your foundation will be easier than mine. I have to go 40" down to get below the frost
line. You should be able to do it using the best method...just like they teach in the class.

"Will the class help us to erect THEIR kit?"
A little. Looks more like a job for a framing carpenter. I hesitate to ask, but just how much
do they want for the kit?

"We have decided we want to live life for a change and I really don't want another 30yr
mortgage and our plan was to at least start this project sometime in 2008."
Sounds like you're already one of us!! Welcome home!!

"Am I asking too much out of this class?"
Sounds reasonable to me. It's more about the individual. Do you want a place of your
own w/o a mortgage? Are you willing to relax and have some fun meeting that goal?
Do you think outside the box? Do you want to be with a lot of friends having a BBQ
and watching your house, or their house be built? Hopefully you're not too far from a
member who is having a log raising, chinking, foundation party. They get help and
friends to keep them company, and encourage them along the way. You get valuable
hands-on instruction, and the knowledge that if they did it, then you
can do it too!

Well, I hope this helps a little.

-Rick

vwebster
12-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Great points, all. But, I've created a misunderstanding. My husband says he actually loved the class. He just didn't feel it was feasible for us. Lack of logs. We're in Cleveland, MS. We both work in this area. I was just a little more eager than him. I've always loved log cabins. I've only spent time in two and they were really small. We spent a weekend in Pigeon Forge, TN & Horse Canyon Ranch (Arkansas). But, small or large I've always been fascinated. I think a great sense of pride must come from building something with your own hands.

He says if we moved, maybe. But, I don't see that happening until we retire.

vwebster
12-02-2007, 01:41 PM
rreidnauer,

You make some really good points about moving. We seldom really give moving any thought for many of the reasons that you mention. It's something to think about.

jjohn
12-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I have been looking over many of the pictures of the log built homes. They all look great, Many different floor plans and styles of interior finish. A lot of what I see would work well for me, And I imagine for others as well. Did each person custom design, and blue print their own homes, or once you attend is there a selection of prints avaliable that can be purchased?

John

cush
12-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Hello Jeff and Sara,

My name is Jonathan and my fiance Kelsey and I, who recently took the course, are planning on building here in southern California as well. We have a few questions for you. We were curious how your process went and if you have any tips for fellow so cal builders? What city did you end up building in? We are attempting to build in north LA county. Sounds crazy I know, but have you seen the market lately. We have the land aquisition in the works, but we are not sure yet where or how we are going to aquire the logs. Hopefully that's not too many questions. Looking forward to your reply.

Socal Builders,

Jonathan and Kelsey

greenthumb
12-03-2007, 04:03 AM
Great points, all. But, I've created a misunderstanding. My husband says he actually loved the class. He just didn't feel it was feasible for us. Lack of logs. We're in Cleveland, MS. We both work in this area. I was just a little more eager than him. I've always loved log cabins. I've only spent time in two and they were really small. We spent a weekend in Pigeon Forge, TN & Horse Canyon Ranch (Arkansas). But, small or large I've always been fascinated. I think a great sense of pride must come from building something with your own hands.

He says if we moved, maybe. But, I don't see that happening until we retire.

VWebster, have you considered having the logs brought in? I imagine there are plenty of southern yellow pine around central or northern MS, or at least some cypress around where you currently live. I know other builders have sometimes had to ship their logs many miles in order to build. Have you checked in the members section? I suppose someone has already found a good source for logs in MS.

rreidnauer
12-03-2007, 05:19 AM
I have been looking over many of the pictures of the log built homes. They all look great, Many different floor plans and styles of interior finish. A lot of what I see would work well for me, And I imagine for others as well. Did each person custom design, and blue print their own homes, or once you attend is there a selection of prints avaliable that can be purchased?

John
It's goes about 50/50 John. Many do make their own, as I have. Others buy and build from the plans offered by LHBA, or work from the LHBA plans to design their own. I think most who make their own, still have professional prints made, and get an engineer's stamp. (required many places, but not everywhere)

kevinc
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
hey vwebster , i have contact info for syp logs out of alabama , surely it wouldnt cost all too much to have them trucked into mississippi ?? email me if interested at cutlermntwoodworks@yahoo.com

ajax
12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Rod:

I will go on record as saying you got me. When I went to class in mid November this year Steve made the comment to the effect that we have one member whose model was so good people think it was the real home being built.

When he mentioned your name I was in shock as I was one of the ones who thought that way.....lol

Just getting up the courage to admit it now!

Great model. Can you tell me what scale and sized dowels used? Also, what materials did you use for the wood studs and floor supports?

When I first saw yours I was unsure about doing a model as yours looked so darn complex. But after going to the class, seeing the other model's at Skip's place, and then going back to look at yours again, I am convinced that this is what should be done first to get a real good understanding of where everything goes. I also feel you should try and make it as complex/real as possible as it looks to help in the long run.

Again, good job on that. I am planning on getting the 30 x 30 stock plan. Waiting for logs to be delivred to another members site downstate, and will be helping out every chance I get with peeling and construction. Hell I will even give up golf for this. Already planning on canceling out a trip to Ocean City Maryland to help out downstate. Hell I can always tape the Masters.....lol

Hey there are more important things afoot.

John

rreidnauer
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Don't feel bad, you're not the first one to be fooled, certainly not the last. Glad to see my name has made it into the course. I'm famous!! OK, maybe not, but cool anyhow.

First off, let me say to anyone who's considering building a model, that it is totally unneccessary to build to that level of detail. Just a basic superstructure is all that's required, so you get an idea how it goes together. I simply got WAY TOO carried away.

OK, with that said, on to the questions. It's 1:24 scale, making the dowels 1/2" in diameter. The whole thing is mounted upon a 24"x24" board. The "foundation" is cut from 1/2"x3/4" pine stock. The 4x12's joists are cut from 1/2" pine boards to a width of 1/8" (read: lots of waste) on a table saw. The 2x12 sleepers, door, and window frames are cut from the same boards, at 1/16". The 2x6 flooring and ceiling T&G was cut from 1/4" pine boards to a thickness of 1/16". The 2x4 studs are made from stock bought from a hobby store. It's 1/16"x1/8" spruce strips. The "logs" are held together with pneumatic nailer nails, and all the "dimensional lumber" is held together with "CA" glue, available at any hobby store that handles RC airplane kits.

dougblack
12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Brand new to this site and pleased that I finally found what I have been looking for in the way of authentic, rustic log home design. I am ready to build a log home in Montana and need more insight into the butt and pass style. Where do I find this information and where do I find a competent builder of this style of log home?

I have no interest in building the home myself; geography and time prevent. Very impressed with the butt and pass method and want to learn more. The saddle notch style is attractive but not the look I have been seeking.

Doug

ajax
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks...........1:24?

Math and computations need work on my part.

rreidnauer
12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks...........1:24?

Math and computations need work on my part.
1/2 inch = 1 foot, so, twenty-four half inches in one foot. ;-)

rreidnauer
12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Brand new to this site and pleased that I finally found what I have been looking for in the way of authentic, rustic log home design. I am ready to build a log home in Montana and need more insight into the butt and pass style. Where do I find this information and where do I find a competent builder of this style of log home?

I have no interest in building the home myself; geography and time prevent. Very impressed with the butt and pass method and want to learn more. The saddle notch style is attractive but not the look I have been seeking.

Doug
That may be a tough bill to fill Doug. Most everyone here either builds their own place, or builds to their own design, then sells it. (at a huge profit) It may be hard to find someone willing to contract a build, but maybe you'll get lucky. I just didn't want to see your question hang.

You may find a member near you, who's built their place, to get a better look at, if you let us know where you're at.

Kola
12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey Doug, just a thought..if you ain't latched on and hooked into living in Montana, Matt and Salina (LHBA members from CO)) are finishing up construction on a B&P loghome and will be listing it on the market early next year. It is located in Pine Colorado. Brand spanking new and ready fer lovin'.

disclaimer: I get no monatary kickbacks for my plug...and must warn you I have been diagnosed by several shrinkyologists with H.I.S. (Happily Insane Syndrome).

I may be the first LHBA member to have a loghome with rubber rooms. ~sigh~ home sweet home.
Kola

ezyplay
12-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Hi Rod, i also was blown away by Your beautiful model! Had a great time there in nov. and am looking for land now. It will be a two story and my one acre off the coast of Texas will probably not work, (six miles from Port O' Connor) everything has to be barged over. I am looking at several areas for land and hopefully will start building before the end of next year. I like Your description of the materials used for Your model!

Klapton
12-04-2007, 02:16 PM
New to this site. I am ready to begin building a log home in Montana, Big Sky area, and am facinated with butt and pass method. After viewing many saddle notch homes I knew there was something I was still looking for and it is the butt and pass style. How do I find a competent builder in southwest Montana area? I cannot build due to geograpical location and time. Also, is there a good publication on butt and pass style?
black@gate.net
There's several articles here on the website that discuss the differences between butt and pass and other methods. I found this website very informative too. It shows someone building a home with the LHBA method step-by-step. http://home.mindspring.com/~kahle11/log.html I think a lot of people have been visiting it recently, because I got a "past quota" message when I tried it just now. Perhaps by the time you see this, it will be ok again?

huffjohndeb
12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I plan to attend the class ASAP. I have a small lot in the mountains of Colorado actually in a valley on clear mountain stream that Coors brags about using to brew their beer. I have already built a hybrid log shed partial log and partial frame construction. The blisters from peeling the logs have finally healed.

I plan to build a log cabin better than code from scratch. I am self employed so I have weeks at a time that I can devote to building. Being in my mid forties I no longer have the will or need to go it alone. Why use my back when I can buy or rent a machine for $100 etc. So I plan to do the things that I enjoy and pay someone to do the things that I don't enjoy.

From reading some of the post I'm a very concerned about the political tone of some of the member post. I thought this was a site for log home enthusiast not a political forum.

My basic beliefs are live and let live, don't "beach" vote. Extremism in my humble opinion is being totally narrow minded without any regard or respect for the beliefs of others. If you think Ted Kaczynski or Timothy McVeigh are heroes I would label you as an extremist. Was Waco wrong of course it was, but the solution is to change the law not blow up innocent men, women and children. Now allow me to adjust my cone shaped lead hat so that I can drink my beer without spilling it.

GammaRae
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
you will enjoy the class. The Forum does have rules. Just like any subject that tugs at the heart of a broad range of individuals the LHBA will include that same broad (i hesitate to use the word "diverse") and eclectic range of individuals.

The LHBA method is adaptable to your desire of involvement.

See you in the members' forum????

Klapton
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
From reading some of the post I'm a very concerned about the political tone of some of the member post. I thought this was a site for log home enthusiast not a political forum.

My basic beliefs are live and let live, don't "beach" vote. Extremism in my humble opinion is being totally narrow minded without any regard or respect for the beliefs of others. If you think Ted Kaczynski or Timothy McVeigh are heroes I would label you as an extremist. Was Waco wrong of course it was, but the solution is to change the law not blow up innocent men, women and children. Now allow me to adjust my cone shaped lead hat so that I can drink my beer without spilling it.

There is indeed a lot of members whose "do-it-yourself" attitude extends into their political views, which often expresses itself as a distrust of government, and a dislike of government "meddling" in one's personal life. In particular, you'll find people complaining about what they see as over-regulation when it comes to private property and building one's own home.

While the community might seem "conservative" in that way overall, it certainly isn't everyone's view. And I can assure you that if anyone DID show signs of real extremism (i.e. promoting violence, etc.) they would NOT be welcome here.

It's an internet forum, which means there will likely be people who spout their opinions. There's a wealth of useful information, and lots of truly helpful people in this community. I don't find it very difficult to overlook the occasional political rant.

Kola
12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Let me chime in and then I will step away. Maybe we can nip this in the bud before it gets ugly because I do see the potential for a train wreck.

It is evident Dave (and possibly Gamma and others) are disgruntled about the political tone of the forum in which many here (including myself) are quite vocal about our displeasure of Big Gov and the bureaucratic system.

I would like to give my sincere apologies to Dave, Gamma and anyone else who I have offended due to my political positions, thoughts and occasional rants. As for myself, I will tone down my opinions in regards to politics.

I hope this is short and to the point but most of all, I do truely apologize.
Kola

GammaRae
12-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Kola, you haven't offended me with your actual positions. Actual positions rarely offend me - certainly don't expect everyone to be as jaded and cynical as me. The only thing that offends me is the guy in the left lane who drives the speed limit and never gets out of the way, because he's not persecuting me for my beliefs - he's just clueless, and that's really offensive to me.

I frequent political sites almost as much as LHBA and voice my opinions there. This forum and the subsequent access to the members section is designated for a neutral topic of log home building for the home owner (though I'm sure some would argue log home building is anything but neutral) . I happen to believe it should be dedicated to the preservation and progress of that.

If it seems like you have offended me it because I was being more antagonistic than anything. My family and wife will tell you I'm very good at that.

Apology accepted.

huffjohndeb
12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
If I could get away with it I would build without a building/taxation permit too. I'm just happy that I do not have a HomeOwners Association AKA (Nazis with clip boards) to deal with.

In my present beige box neighborhood, I get letters from my HOA "It has been noted that you have left your trash can in the driveway for more than 23 1/2 hours... Please refer to the by-laws blah blah". Give me a break you are wasting "my money" to harras me about something that I have already corrected. I also got a letter about having weeds in my planting bed, Iwas so pissed that I almost fed-exed an 80lb box of weeds to the HOA home office, my wife stepped in a prevented me from blowing $300 to prove a point.

I'm not a violent person, but If I had a vaporizatioon Gamma ray gun I would blast that car driving 2 MPH under the speed limit in the left lane out of my way and this world. They have a law in Colorado that you must only use the left lane for passing. I have my own law if I have to pass on the right I am allowed to not exceed 105 MPH to make it around "you" in the right lane. Knock on wood I have not had to explain "my own law" to the Highway Patrol.

Happy dreaming and building. If you have a draw knife learn to love it.

steinmex3
12-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi. I'll be attending the class in January and look forward to the opportunity to learn how to build my own log home.

I've recently been through some career counseling and my coach asked me to speak with anyone who might be building log homes as a business. My assessments seem to indicate that I should be working in nature and possibly in a construction-related capacity.

Also, I'm willing to help anyone in Colorado who is currently working on a home and would like help from a soon-to-be student.

Thanks.

Riverhobo
12-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Congrates on committing to the class. I took the class for the same reason. I plan on launching my business this spring. You won't be disappointing in the class. You will have a lot options available with your new found knowledge. You can build and sell for a profit. And repeat. And repeat. Or build a rental business. AKA B&B. Or in my case I plan to build a lodge building like Wallace Falls Lodge, built by a member with smaller individual cabins surrounding it. If you are leaning toward a B&B you should stay at Wallace Falls Lodge while taking the class. It will be during ski season so you should reserve it ASAP. Good Luck with your Career!!!

I love to talk logs and loghome businesses.
If you would like I can schedule some time to talk on the phone I have unlimited free calling. Just email me with your number and a good time to call. genogallo@hotmail.com

Liltrouble
12-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Hi all,

My name is Cheryl, and I am going to attend the January class, (giving the tuition to myself as a Christmas present.) I have my land ready and waiting to go, as I have found a great mountain top "off the beaten path" land development in-between Chattanooga and Nashville and I am so stoked! They did not remove any trees except to build the access roads and actually made the lands natural features part of their selling point rather than leveling them and making it a typical 'doze and grade' land development, very cool I think.

I'm excited to attend the class and plan on building right away. I've worked with the log home industry for years as an artist and decorator, and I agree that kit homes are all just a big sales pitch. Having been to waaaay to many log home expos as an art vendor it tends to feel like you're in a car sales covention....everybody's product is bigger and better than the next guys....lol

I'm happy to help anyone with their projects also, and I'm pretty darn good as a stone mason too - go figure....lol.

So anyway, hello to everyone and have a great day all! : )

The only limitations any one individual has, are the ones they impose upon themselves. ~

Kola
12-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Ellsworth and Steve, this really is not the correct placement for the topics presented. Sorry to be hijacking the "introduce yourself" thread. Maybe once everyone has a chance to read and/or respond to it, it can be moved or deleted. Kola

================================================
Gamma quote: Kola, you haven't offended me with your actual positions. Actual positions rarely offend me - certainly don't expect everyone to be as jaded and cynical as me. The only thing that offends me is the guy in the left lane who drives the speed limit and never gets out of the way, because he's not persecuting me for my beliefs - he's just clueless, and that's really offensive to me.
==========================================
That is good. I am glad. Let me assure I am far from the slow guy in the fast lane. I honestly admit that I do enjoy playing the simple-minded-chuckleheaded- redneck though. Although I have not built my loghome I would never offer advice to someone which would be potentially harmful. My suggestion to Snyderman about drilling pilotholes (which seemed to upset Dave) was safe and sound advice. I also believe Ellsworth and Steve (and Rock engineer) do a great job of overseeing the posts that are presented here. I have been a carpenter, a heavy equipment mechanic and have tackled several large remodeling projects, not to mention I have majored in physics, graduated pre-med and went on to get my doctorates degree in chiropractic. (yeah I know, I am not a REAL doctor but I didn't want to be one of "them". Anyway, the medical profession does not accept outlaw rebels and their style of service just ain't up my alley. No surprises there huh?
===========================================

Gamma quote :I frequent political sites almost as much as LHBA and voice my opinions there. This forum and the subsequent access to the members section is designated for a neutral topic of log home building for the home owner (though I'm sure some would argue log home building is anything but neutral) . I happen to believe it should be dedicated to the preservation and progress of that.
==============================================
I agree with you and there are those times when things gets overlapped which sometimes introduces bureaucratic/political opinions. I do not think we can completely eliminate them but I believe you are correct and that we can put on the brakes before going overboard with our(my) views. As I have said several times in the past, discussing politics and religion will surely sound the battle drums and it will be uglier than a pitbull on a porkchop.
===============================================

Gamma quote:If it seems like you have offended me it because I was being more antagonistic than anything. My family and wife will tell you I'm very good at that.
================================================== ==========
Yeah, likewise Gamma.
I sometimes forget to respect other people choices and decisions. Every now and then I need a smack upside the noggin.,,and honestly it usually feels good......um, afterwards!........after the swelling goes down.....and the bleeding stops...and the med bills are paid. LOL.
================================================== =======

I think if anyone else was going to comment on this subject (the regs) they had time by now, so I hope we can dust this off and move on to better things. I dislike drama anyways. :)

Gamma, good luck and I hope there are no hard feelings between us,
Kola
Dave, I welcome your opinions, either here or send via email. If not, hopefully LHBA will get some ignore buttons. Until then, just skip over my posts and do not read them. Thanks, and my apologies, again. Kola

Larry Charles
12-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. I'm from Beavercreek Ohio, just outside of Dayton. I'll be heading to the Jan 19-20 class and I'm really looking forward to it. Recently got divorced. Didn't want it, but it happened. Just turned 50, and I'm not going to just sit on the couch night after night, alone and watch the time go by. I'm still in good health and I still love life. I've always loved log homes, so I'm going to build myself one. Now is the time.

Looking foward to meeting some of you there in Jan.

Larry Charles

easyliving
12-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi Rick and thanks for your input, after many hours of research and reading a ton of posts on here we decided to take the plunge and attend the Jan. 19 & 20th class. I've also contacted another member (Vern Street) to come by his place near Tulsa OK, he's near completion of his structure and we hope to get up there soon. We're also looking for any other members who are within 4 or 5 hours away who are building or about to start, we'd love to get our hands dirty.

We're very excited to be taking the course and look forward to meeting everyone else attending,

John & Theresa

Lewispass
12-09-2007, 09:23 AM
We recently lost our home in the Southern California fires (Witch Creek, Ramona) and we are seriously looking into log homes. Would love to come to the January class? trying to talk my husband into it!

Linda *

kyle
12-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Linda, sorry to hear about the loss of your home. If you are serious about trying to build a log home yourself then the class is perfect for you. In the mean time here is a story about a very strong soul who overcame tragedy that should give you some inspiration!

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ainsworth38.html

Once you access the page make sure you look up the other articles about her in Backwoods Home. Its truly an amazing story.

Take care!

joek
12-09-2007, 09:53 AM
hi my name iis joe from illinois im attending jan 19-20 2008 20 yrs hvac tech currently drive a redi-mix truck i have 5 acres in kentucky plan on building there with trees on property im very excited about this club and very greatfull for all who are involved to make it possible

stevekels142
12-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone has done this course and built a house in Australia. I am trying to find out if this can be done in Australia, what type of trees are available etc. Just in case you think I'm an aussie I'm not, originally from Zimbabwe, living in the UK, moving to Aus next year, any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Steve

GammaRae
12-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Steve,

Don't know of any members on the forum who have built in Australia (though wouldn't be surprised if there are - definitely people from Australia who are members). There is a member from the RSA who build out of eucalyptus and it is gorgeous. He might pipe in here, or search under "South Africa" and I'm sure his post will pop up. don't know if any photos are in the non-members area, though.

Where in Oz are you moving too? I spent some time living in Victoria. Gorgeous country, and in quite a bit different situation than Zimbawe, right now. Condolences on the state of your home.

Klapton
12-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Whatever trees they use in Australia for framing lumber is probably good for log homes too. The other quality you want is straightness and minimal taper (how fast it goes from fat to skinny). Another clue might be what kind of trees are used for utility poles. Here in the US, Douglas Fir is perfect for all three applications. I'm sure there is some species in Australia that is similar.

A quick google search yielded this link: http://www.timber.net.au/species/

Here's one specifically about native Australian timber. (The above linkie includes a lot of imported species too.) Perhaps cross-referencing the info here might give you a clue to what you should look for. http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/good_wood/oz_pln.htm

Rambo
12-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Joek,
I am Keith from Owensboro, KY. I am attending the class in Feb. 08. What part of KY are you building? I have a couple of different properties that I intend to build on, all of them are in Western KY. Maybe we could swap ideas after the class. Are there any other members in the Kentucky or southern Indiana area?

Chris Van Gorder
12-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi Im Chris and I'm taking the Jan. 19-20 class. I'm very excited to build log homes. This seems like a realy cool community and I'm looking forward to getting to know every one.

Stonecold
12-20-2007, 06:01 AM
I just want to say hello and look forward to the Feb 02-03 class. I hope to start my first Log home with in the next year. Have the land , just need knowledge and tools!!!

kenclark
12-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm new at this so I hope this works.
I officialy got old (65 on thanksgiving day) last month and in the spring I want attend the timber show in Portland and go to one of the LHBA classes. Then start looking for land to build on in north central wash.
In my research I have found that the new chinking material is really expencive. I roughly figured I would spend 7-8 Grand chinking a house like this.
Is that the norm or is there a cheaper caulk/chink that is expandable to compensate for the shrinkage or can this be compensated for with mortor?
Thanks Ken

ChainsawGrandpa
12-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Whoa! $7,000 -$8,000 for chinking?
Some members have built homes for that amount.
Sounds like reason enough for me to stay away
from the commercial stuff. I know Skip's method
and receipe have been hashed and rehashed, but
it seems to have stood the test of time.

Where in NCW? Right now I'm living in Wenatchee (if you call that living). ;-)

-Rick

kevinc
12-20-2007, 06:02 PM
im just finishing up the outside chinking on my 30x30 and have spent $100 , one more reason to take the class and get skip's secret recipe !you'll save $6800 to$7800 on chinking alone

Klapton
12-21-2007, 04:12 AM
There are pros and cons to using mortar chinking. Others have already pointed out the biggest pro: COST. The other big pro is that it BREATHES. That is, moisture does not get trapped between the logs like it can with synthetic chinking. (One of the biggest misconceptions about log homes is that people think they should "seal out" moisture somehow. What really happens is moisture gets sealed IN.)

The cons are that it is NOT flexible, and it's harder to have special colors.

With the butt and pass method, depending on how green or dry your logs are, flexibility is not an issue. If the logs are very green, they can shrink and the upper log will pull away from the mortar. This is usually just a cosmetic problem, however. In Skip's house where the class is held, there are places where the chinking has separated enough from the wood to stick your little finger in it, but there is no draft. Apparently Skip didn't bother touching up the chinking because it was purely cosmetic. If you don't like the look, you can touch up the chinking after a year or so once the logs have fully seasoned. It's a time-consuming task, but not difficult. And again, it's WAY cheaper than going synthetic.

Color can also be applied, but it's a real pain in the butt, so most people don't do it. But it CAN be done, and done a LOT cheaper than buying synthetic chinking. It just means more time and effort. And most folks who build a butt and pass log home have a strong appreciation for the natural beauty and simplicity of their home, and don't do it.

docdadwa
12-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Hello everyone
I became a member in March 2002 and have been following the posts and forums since. Great info and fantastic people in the Association. I'm currently working on an addition and the finishing touches on my home (work that may never be complete) but keeps me busy, out of trouble and perfect way to spend time.
Thanks Skip Ellsworth and The Log Home Builders Association.

Timber
01-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Howdy My name is Ron and I have been checking this site out for some time now-read most of the threads that interested me. Trying to learn from someone else and there experiences. My neighbor-an ole timer (knows alot-amazing) says learing is expensive. So I have learned alot about trying to stay out of debt -its a great message. My Grandma used to say, "Its not how much you make...It's how much you save..." she is right!
Anyway I too plan taking the class. I own my land in Cody Wy. 11.33 acres beautiful lot. I am going to help a couple share the cost of bringing in power who are buying next to my lot and are ready to break ground and build. So I have water, & power will be there in 2 months. Trying to find a deal on houselogs. Nice people here and great web site.

My take on payments like a 30 year mortgage are you just look at the monthly payment and then say I can handle it. I am starting to see it in a better way. I will still need to go in debt but will be much more frugal about it--thanks to this site and those of us who learned the expensive way!

time is like money... if you dont have it you have to make it

Link below to the best looking home I have seen yet.
http://www.geocities.com/naniorr/mypage.html

Larry the Canadian
01-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I am Larry and my wife Candice are taking the course January 12/13th in 2008. We live in Langley, British Columbia. We have 6 kids (Caleb, Isaac, Lisette, Adam, Jessica, and Brianna) and run a construction company. We build a dozen high-end homes a year in the lower mainland. I have wanted to take this course for years and am excited to finally learn all that I hear about on this site. I have always had a passion for log homes and would love to build one when I am able. Time is my biggest issue while money is secondary. I sense there are a lot of like minded people on this forum who appreciate self-sufficiency, independence, and living with contentment without the plethora of wants of our culture. I guess that is about it so Hello from Canada. Larry and Candice

quilteresq
01-06-2008, 09:02 AM
I attended the log home class last January (2007). It took the better part of a year watching NH land for sale, but my hubby and I just sealed a deal on a piece of land abutting a state forest on two sides. Front and back! (Unfortunately, it was logged recently - hence the reason we could afford a large parcel in such a great location - we won't be using any logs from the property, because they're all gone!). We'll probably be closing in early March - in time to watch the snows melting. We're in no hurry to own extra land we can't get to because of heavy snow cover this year.

Since the log cabin will be our retirement home, that doesn't mean we'll be starting soon, but I told him it's kind of nice have about a ten year window to get ahead on some of the things we insist on having on our own property - like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and wild flowers. We'll be managing the land for recreation (read: cross country ski trails) and wildlife habitat, but even if it can't be logged again in our lifetime, it will eventually revert back to mostly forest.

On the plus side on buying a piece already logged, we can plan for solar heat and hot water and a nice bright home with NO problem!! We bought a south facing slope.

I have pictures of the land on my facebook site. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16206&id=655911686 (unlimited picture posting. . . . )

most everything else about me is readily available by googling my real name on the web.

Paula Werme

Loghomeguy
01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Michael Simmons---

I first took Skip's weekend class in 1986. I did the apprentiship program in 1987. I made a lot of money when I stuck to Skip's plan.I lost a bit when I did not. Gosh, it has been twenty years !

Extravagance in building or "delusions of grandure" as Skip says are the key downfalls to new builders. You have seen the fancy log homes with loads of compound angles and "tricked out" featurettes and you want to copy that. Tighten the reighns for a minute,,,,,,,,

Listen up ! For the first one--- do as Skip reccommends, keep it very very simple.

Then, after your first one you will have a clearer picture of the obstacles you face. mostly governmental agencies that know no bounds and are a law unto themselves.

Skip has aided me in avoiding the slavery that is implicit in a thirty year mortgage, he is a purveyor of freedom.

The benefits I obtained from taking his courses make the course admission prices pale in comparison, the courses were worth to me many hundreds of times what I paid for them. I have used what I learned not only in log home construction but in ordinary construction , advising others and in obtaining employment , aiding homeless and too much more to mention here. My expertise has taken me to South America, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Utah, Colorado, and now to Afghanistan.

loghomeguy@msn.com

Loghomeguy
01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Michael Simmons I would go to AU and help you build, I took Skips course in 1986 and the journeyman program in 1987 Done 30 homes in the last 21 years planning placing finishing,

loghomeguy@msn.com

greenthumb
01-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Michael Simmons,

You're a log home celebrity- having been given a 'Log Home of the Month' award. 30 homes is quite an accomplishment. Be sure to join the members section and stick around.

Andy

moonmave
01-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Looking forward to learning about log homes! Thank you.

Dennisa
01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Dennisa and I live in Forney, Tx., just 25 miles east of Dallas. I am so excited that I found this site. It seems as if there are some amazing people and interesting topics in this forum. For the last 2 days I have been glued to this forum reading everything I can. We would love to be able to attend the class in Feb. but hope there will be one in March as well. Look forward to getting to know all of you!

akemt
01-21-2008, 05:05 PM
An Alaskan checking in...seems there are a number of members wanting to build up North. We're *prospective* builders just trying to figure out where and how to go about it and keep getting caught in the "gotta sell our old house", "can't work for this employer anymore move to another city", and "have to pay off our medical bills from our third child" downfalls. The house should be closing by the end of February, at which point we'll have to figure out what we're going to do --spend 7-8 years living in a small cabin while we slowly build the real deal with our own money, or get a building loan and hope that the market doesn't crash around us. Both of which will require another move to a more code friendly area.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully we can have a home mortgage-free in about 3 more years, either way!

Dennisa
01-22-2008, 07:45 AM
For those of you who have previously attended the class, can you tell me the closest airport to Monroe. Is it Seattle?

Thanks, looking forward to trying to go in Feb.

kyle
01-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes the closest major airport is SeaTac.

Edie kline
01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Steve,

I plan on building my log cabin home this summer, I have many questions but don't know where to start...I have harvested 100 logs, 20 feet long and are raw logs, drying for the winter. They have been debarked already. I plan on building and paying for materials as we go along. I really don't want to owe a hefty mortgage upon completion of my home. I am interested in homes that have an octagon shape also. Any answers? It appears that all the classes are back east or midwest, is that true? what is offered near Arizona? I live in Arizona where we get the four seasons. The current temperatures at night can easily reach below zero! We have lots of snow...

Dennisa
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Thank you very much Kyle :) How far from Seattle to Monroe? 2 hours by looking at the map?

Dennisa

JD
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like you'll fit right in here if you're the pay as you build type. I'm not sure about the octagon. Some other members may be able to help you there. The only LHBA class location is in Monroe, WA. My son and I flew out from Virginia and it was more than worth the time and expense. We also have some members from Arizona who can give you some specifics about building in that area.
Again, welcome!

Lonewolf
01-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Dennisa, I'm Marcus and I'm not too terribly far from ya. I'll be starting my log house in about a year. You really ought to take the class. I was in the first january class. I've been reading and studying log cabin books and methods for a long time, but if I'd have tried building without taking that class, I would have been "Oh So Screwed"

Marcus Ward

Dennisa
01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Hello Marcus. It's nice to talk to you. Your really not that far away. We (I especially) do want to take the class asap. Trying to work it out for Feb. 08 but not sure if that is going to work. I have a pretty heavy schedule on my weekends for the next 6 weeks. Everyone on the forum who have attended agree with you, that they take so much more than they could have imagined from the class.
You know I actually went to Shreveport last year for the first time to the casinos. Not a big gambler. Had fun though.
So where will you be building your log home or cabin?

Dennisa

ChainsawGrandpa
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Late night flight? 40+ minutes.
Rush hour? Well....

Easy to get there.
*Leave SeaTac and get on I-5 north (confusing signs).
*Go through Seattle.
*Turn R. @ 145th.
*Turn L. on Lake City Way - Bothell Hwy. Wait 15 miles then...
*Turn left into Monroe
*Turn R. on S. Lewis (Monroe - Duvall Hwy)
*Go 5 or so miles. Parking lot is across from the huge barn.
Or:
After you get on I-5 go:
Right
Left
Left
Right.
Pretty easy.

Dennisa
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Thank You....:) Enjoyed reading your posts in the forum. The fever (I think you called it) got me last night and I could not sleep. Every chance I get I run to my computer at work at look to see whats been posted. Look forward to taking the class. I can only imagine how my mind will be wandering afterwards.

MonkeyGirl
01-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking and reading posts for a while now, finally decided to speak up. I have been grapling with the problem of building a house without spending an incredible amount of money for several years now and I think I may have found my anwser. I came across this site while looking at kit home sites and feeling dissastified with them. This site and this method make sense to me. I am inexperenced but am more than willing to learn. One thing I like about this is that it easily lends itself to small simple structures. that is one thing I hate about the houses that are built now, they are too big. Anyway I'm sure that i'll be plagueing all of you with newbe questions in no time!

Cheers!

greenthumb
01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Edie, there were some pictures of an octagon log home on the old site, I don't think they've made it over here yet. Apparently, it is possible- if you really want to have an octagon. There are other ways to build a more traditional square or rectangular house from short logs using methods taught in class. I think the Sherrods(built using short logs) house is in the new 'student built log homes' section. It is the house with the gambrel roof.

Welcome everyone! Be sure to stick around, search the site a little- there is a lot of good, general information in the non members section that'll probably only whet your appetite for more(take the class!).

pinecone pam
01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Forney Texas! Goodness! I've lived up here too long! I'm from them-thar-parts! However, it's here I built my log house. Yes its do-able. The real deal. Take the class before you twist your brain. Keep it simple. Think outside the box, but don't over-think it. And take lots of notes in class! Lots of us have done it. So can you. Jump in. Welcome to the group!

Dennisa
01-24-2008, 05:20 AM
You should see us (Forney) now. I think we are the 3rd fastest growing town in the state. We have so many schools here and they are wanting to build more. Our taxes are thru the roof. Not enough roads...traffic jams and waiting at red lights FOREVER. Not what I call pleasant. I want to attend the class SOOOOO badly but I may have to send my husband and a friend of his. If there will be a class in March, I could probably work it out and attend but no one has said if there will be one. Pleasure talking to you and hope to again.
P>S>- I would love to see your pics. Are they on here?

greenthumb
01-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Dennisa,

The instructors are busy guys- they'll announce when they've decided on the next class date by posting it on the main page. You can submit you email address on the page below to be notified a day or two before its announced on the main page. Hope that helps.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/alert

Also, seeing is believing, and a picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't mind Pam, here's a picture of your house from rocklock's site:

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/?action=view&current=IMG_2536.jpg

Dennisa
01-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Thank you for the link to pam's house. OMG it is beautiful!!! Exactly what I am wanting.
I'm sure the instructor's are busy, but I noticed that they sometimes go a while before having other classes. We just don;t want to miss out and wait too long, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks Greenthumb

Loghomeguy
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
I am Michael Simmons. I took the two day course in 1987 and then spent three months in the apprentiship program in 1988. I have worked on log home construction in Washington, Idaho, and in South America (Chile). I have assisted and consulted on over 30 log home projects in my time. Much of my work has been to assist owners who were the victims of shoddy craftsmanship due to settling problems, improper roof coverage of logs andan overall lack of structural integrity. Without the courses it would have been impossible. The Association schooling has provided me with a craft I enjoy and love. I can be reached @ loghomeguy@msn.com no matter where I am in the world. I wish you continuing success.

Michael Simmons

kala
01-25-2008, 07:11 AM
hey greenthumb

do you advise taking the class for someone who has ZERO experience? My husband and I would love to take it as long as we feel it could actually work for us!

Thanks

greenthumb
01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Hey Kala, welcome to the forums.

I feel a little inadequate in answering this, as I haven't built yet myself- my wife and I are still in the later end of the planning stages. The picture I linked in a post above is Pinecone Pams beautiful house. I do have a limited amount of building experience in regular construction- but not much.

That said, I have taken the class, and am very satisfied with the knowledge I've gained from it- and am confident I can build a log home. Now, the course doesn't cover so much of the normal aspects of construction- electrical, plumbing, framing- but does cover how those relate to log home building and the specialized techniques to tie it all together. There are some threads already on here covering books you can read to gain knowledge of regular construction- as well as helping out members, or working with a habitat for humanity house, etc.

Everyone who knows something about anything started knowing nothing about it at all. Yes, anyone who has the will, can take the class and build a log house. Take the class, bring a notebook, flashlight, umbrella, and an open mind. I'm glad to see you both are interested in the course as it is best(in my humble opinion) for both to be on the same page on construction techniques- as it is so important in the design and planning phases.

Be sure to look through the student log homes section of the site. These guys took the class and built houses afterward too.

I've heard someone mention that it may be better to come with zero experience- so you come with a completely open mind. ; )

Well, I feel I'm rambling now as I tend to do... so if anyone else cares to add their $.02 worth, feel free.

Best of luck to you Kala.

Andy

kala
01-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks greenthumb.

I am excited and ready to do this! My husband is on board too! I have spent hours reading and researching this and other sites. We have land but just assumed we would have to get a mobile home to live out there. This is such a new and exciting idea. Everything about it seems right. More than anything, the finanacial freedom this can provide attracts us. Is it true that (doing most of the work yourself) you can build a nice home for about $30k? (Cost of living in OK is very cheap.)

Klapton
01-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks greenthumb.

I am excited and ready to do this! My husband is on board too! I have spent hours reading and researching this and other sites. We have land but just assumed we would have to get a mobile home to live out there. This is such a new and exciting idea. Everything about it seems right. More than anything, the finanacial freedom this can provide attracts us. Is it true that (doing most of the work yourself) you can build a nice home for about $30k? (Cost of living in OK is very cheap.)
Cost varies WIDELY based on a LOT of factors. We could easily blow $30k on the kitchen alone if we aren't sensible about it!

In recent posts in the member's section, some people posted their approximate costs, and most are in the range of 60 - 100k for 30x30 to 40x40 LHBA stock plan homes. But there are TONS of things that can either raise or lower those costs. If I'm not mistaken, all those people bought their logs, as opposed to those who are fortunate enough to have timber on their property. All of those people had more complex foundations that the pier blocks taught in class (some had full basements, etc.) And among all those people, there was varying amounts of hiring out of labor.

Skip used to teach that you should take the course, and start collecting tools and materials 2 years before you plan to actually build. This gave you plenty of time to bargain hunt for stuff, etc. Many people can't or won't take that much time, and end up paying full retail prices for many things. (For example, some folks are living in trailers on their properties while commuting to work with several kids climbing the walls, lol. You don't want a situation like that dragging on for YEARS, hehe.)

They give lots of tips in the class on how to find bargains, and ways to make your log home as simple and inexpensive as possible. Could one be done for $30k? If the logs were free, DEFINITELY. Even then, you would have to trying pretty hard to KEEP the home cheap as you built it. As many here can attest, it's real easy for things to wind up costing more than you expected.

wenzel_777
01-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey Everyone!

Well, I've been browsing this site (and the old site) for at least 4 months or so. I'm currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, and I too aspire to build my own log cabin someday, with the help of my enchanting g/f of six years. We're planning to move South when we are both done with school, and building our own log home is something that we've discussed in great detail over the last couple of years. I'm very happy with the site, and it seems like everybody has an open, positive attitude toward the quality of life. We have both decided that building will be an experience that MUST be shared together & we both look forward to attending the class someday. Just as it takes years to build, it may take years to join, but I'm sure that the experience will be rewarding when we take the leap. Just wanted to introduce myself & I look forward to chatting a bit on the forum!--Brett H.

William Lilly
01-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Hello, this looks like a good place to find information, I am looking forward to using it. I am planning on building a medium sized log house or cabin in the mountains of WV in the future. I haven't decided whether I will cut my own logs or buy them. Of course I would like to do it mystelf, it is kind of scary, to think I might get it wrong. I can use all the suggestions I can get. Earl

ladybird1957
01-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi will I just found this site...I am seriously thinking of taking the class in Feb and signing my husband up as well and if I can convince my brother to fly here from Idaho then him as well. I am disabled and have very limited use of my upper body so I am not sure it would be worth taking the class for my self. But on the other hand I hate being left out!!! My husband is presently out looking at property and we will be buying this week in the Northern Idaho area. So he doesn't know about this class as of yet. But I plan on informing him tomorrow. The poetenial land we are thinking of buying is 10 acres with a very tiny log home and I suspect it was a kit. (AND I MEAN mouse tiny!!!) So the plan is for my husband to live in it tell the one we build is finished. We have a severely Autistic 5yr old grandson so I plan on staying here until our son finishes school so I can help him and his wife with there sons. I figure I will be here at least 18 mos. so it gives plenty of time for building. Of course we will have to wait to start in the spring. I know potenially we could use trees from the property however don't they have to set and season for a while? How long? and what is the best type of trees to use?? Any info will sure help. I am hoping there will be some people who are from the Idaho or even Eastern WA who have taken the class or will be taking the class . Perhaps willing to help us build. Anyway I am excited it has been a dream of mine to have a log cabin ....a dream I truthfully did not think would come true. Now I feel it will really happen. We want to not have a mortgage payment so we know there is hard work ahead. However we also realize it will be worth it~!!!Thanks for listening
Donna

gunner2pilot
01-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Hi, Donna. We're neighbors - I'm near Northport, WA, and though I have not yet started to build, I have my land and have taken the class. I'm sure I speak for SO many LHBA members when I say TAKE THE CLASS! There is much to be learned about the LHBA method of building, and Elsworth and Steve will make it very clear (they've been teaching and building for a long time).
You are in a good area for trees (logs). I used to live in Coeur d'Alene and also in Sandpoint. Please don't concern yourself with what species of tree to use - it's a relatively insignificant point and will be covered in the class (again, you're in a good area).
I'm sure you've already noticed, but there are a lot of people on this forum who can and will give you advice and support during your build. And once you join you will be allowed access to entire new forums (members'). If you're truly excited about the prospect of building your own log home, I'm sure I again speak for many members when I say don't let the dream die...take the class and discover what many people have learned about the correct way to assemble a log home. Joining the LHBA was some of the best money I've ever spent. Please sign up and take the class as soon as you are able. You will not EVER regret it. Welcome to the neighborhood.
Ken

ladybird1957
01-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks Ken for your kind words. After writing my intro...the next morning I registered my husband and I for the class.We are both very excited!!He is snowed in right now at Sandpoint so PRAY the snow will let up so he can make the land deal and come back home safe so we can attend that class!!!I am hoping to learn many wonder points at building our cabin. We want it simple and nice. I don't see any reason why that is not possible.Say we here is Northport?? Thanks Donna

gunner2pilot
01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi, Donna. Glad you got the two of you signed up. Northport is along the Columbia not too far west of the Idaho border. My mailing address is Colville, but I'm 33 miles out from there and only a few miles from Northport. So's we don't tie up the forums, here's my email address: akguy_1@hotmail.com We can chat there if you like. Again, welcome to the 'hood. Ken

Russell
01-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Hello all. My name is Russell and I have been interested in log homes for a long time now. I stumbled across the web site about a year ago, and it just added more fuel to the fire. Now I just need to get my wife on board :)

Primitive
02-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Well I will be taking the class the middle of feb. hope to be in the members section by the end of the month. I think I have convinced my wife that log homes are the way to go. She is the one that signed me up for the class. Hopefully I will be around more in the future.

Primitive

Steve Griepp
02-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Steve and I took the classes this past weekend (begging of feb 2008) - I hope to start building a scale model soon!

Steve

Lonewolf
02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back to ya, but things get buried in here. I plan on building in Union parish just a little south of the Arkansas line. Our family property is up in the piney hills---the good part of the state. I'm gonna build right in the middle of it so that I will never have to worry about seeing a neighbor. :) The road that crosses the property and runs right in front of my building site is a wagon road that dates back to the early 1800's. I was going to try and use pines from the property but others in the family are more interested in timber royalties than me being debt free. So I'll be getting my trees from the national forests around here. I'm aiming on having the geo-tech guy out there doing his thing in a few months.
Marcus Ward

brian hymer
02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I have watched (from a distance) my brother and two of my uncles biuld their log homes. I do not own a home of any kind and am certian this is the kind of home I want. I live in so-cal near lake arrowhead and have a few locations to look for land or lot. I simply do not know where to start so I have clicked of "log homes" and found you guys and a LOT of kit guys.

My brothers experience has led to convince my not to but a kit and I have no Idea where to start. It is great to find someone that cares enough about hte rest of us to do what your doing.
Thanks!!!! well until I can buy some dirt I will keep reading everything you have and save some $$$ to come to school.

I do have one question, after reading about the chinkless methods, I notice some beutiful homes with light colored chinking, Is this a faster/more affordable option than hand fitting every log??? Thanks again wish me luck!!!

Brian H.

Klapton
02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
This article gives a lot of detail about the difference between Butt and Pass and other systems:

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/difference-between-different-styles-chinkless-log-home-construction

Scandinavian Chinkless, when done correctly, is MUCH more complex than Butt and Pass. First your logs have to be COMPLETELY seasoned (dried) to really do it right. That means waiting as much as a year or more before you even start. Then the ENTIRE length of the log has to be perfectly fitted to the log below in order to not have drafts, and more importantly, to ensure even load bearing of the walls. This CANNOT be done offsite and disassembled and reassembled. That's why kits pretty much universally suck compared to handcrafted (when done CORRECTLY).

The lighter colored chinking you see in some photos is most likely some form of vinyl / synthetic chinking. Synthetics are more expensive than making your own mortar (they teach the recipe in the class). They also don't "breathe" like mortar, which allows any moisture trapped between the logs to escape. (One of the major misconceptions people have about log homes is that they want to try to "seal" water out. It doesn't work. Sealing the logs or log joints ends up trapping moisture IN, promoting rot.)

There are ways to color mortar chinking and make it prettier, but it's time consuming, so most people don't do it. Most folks who prefer the look of synthetic chinking, and are willing to pay for it, go synthetic. While many of us prefer the breathability of mortar, a butt and pass log home built correctly with large roof overhangs is not likely to have any rot problems with synthetic chinking either. It really comes down to preference.

Same goes for staining / sealing logs. If you want them to stay looking new and retain their nice color, you have to stain the logs. If you hand-peel the logs so you don't expose the grain, and have large roof overhangs, this is not necessary, however. Again, it comes down to preference. Some folks like the rustic look of 100% natural, untreated logs. Others prefer to keep the pretty color you get from stained logs. But, of course, staining also means more time and expense.

MWM
02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I stumbled onto this site and it looks great. Currently looking at land for a vacation cabin, exploring options. Hope to get some good advice.

Lady_Cabin_Woods
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Hello, disappointing to read these log home building "classes" full for 2008, Feb. But that also means that some lucky folks will be learning to do what they love, building their own home. Gotta love that! Would love to be a lil mouse in someone's pocket taking tiny little notes, lol!

I am over 55, living in an urban setting, am still torn between straw bale and log cabin, living in the West for 30 plus years. I write poetry and decorate, garden and travel on little scenic trips here in CO with my friend and we always have my lab. I do what I like and what I love, and also do like to share my gifts, what else are we here for anyway...

I would appreciate knowing anything about the solar gain in a log building situation (passive, south facing walls, etc) and rain water collection (can it be done on a roof for log application). I am looking forward to enjoying my home with radiant floor heat, a nice woodstove and the recycled materials that seem to be plentiful here in Denver/Boulder area (resellers of anything you can imagine, even architectural stuff). I appreciate learning and the sharing of knowledge, having grown up when it was "hip" to share and I do fondly recall the 70's when I would read from cover to cover, my Mother Earth News and dream in my Boston kitchen. I attribute my move with my child, 1 dog, 1 cat in my little VW to those magazines. And the passion and hope that only the young and a"free" spirit can appreciate. Years later, I still have that spirit after living on the land, experiencing the silence and the windsong, rushing out in pj's or nightgown to the early morning dew when no one is around, to gather up wood, catch your breath at the beauty of a mare's gaze upon you in the mist, how wonderful it is collect more than you can eat wild asparagus (and to give passage to those respectful enough from town who had asked for access to yr ditchbanks); When you accept you are another organism out in the sage, under the wide and limitless sky, when you understand you are among the precious organisms who have stayed and who have survived and have a role, albeit a small maybe more often than not, a precious and unseen one, then you know you are "real" in your being doing nothing but "being" cradled in the generous and receptive open palm of land. I know something I did not know in the city even as a free spirit there: it is ok then, when dealing with yourself and the land, to let the land win. To let it be as it lets you be. It is ok to create nothing new. But to be recreated again and again. And it welcomes you, it knows you and it will miss you, with words unspoken, when you pass...

I was called (behind my back) "the Little Pioneer" I was so touched. And in the city, a neighbor called me "Princess Pam". Touching as well, in each place someone called me by a name I did not ask for. I guess the land had its name for me when I turned away in loathing at the site of a long dead coyote strung along a barbed wire fence. Coyote lives in you, perhaps. Perhaps I am nothing but a star plummeting to the earth, one of billions and perhaps his death was more meaningful for me to see as a young Boston transplant than all my days spent digging in the soil and planting several varieties of tomatoes, perhaps he was the book of the New West and I was the abrupt end of the Old West, where I expected neighbors to come calling (they didn't) and where neighbors helped me raise the roof (they didn't). Lessons of the earth, I like the fact that someone has called me by a name. And I never got to choose...Peace.

Thanks, we all have dreams. I have always tried (or not, just came naturally) to LIVE them, there is no other way to live and be happy...

Klapton
02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Welcome Princess Pam!

We have a member who is roughly your age and of similar spirit who is just about finished with her home named "Pinecone Pam". I spent a couple minutes trying to find a linkie to her pictures, but couldn't find it in a timely fashion. Perhaps she'll see this and post them!

Passive Solar Stuff:

Butt and Pass log homes have excellent R-value and logs have good thermal mass. You can't cut out TOO much of your south-facing wall for windows (for example, you want any windows at least three feet from the corners), but the gable end of that wall bears no load at all, so you can fill that whole thing with windows! With a steeper roof pitch (which does cost more, btw) you can increase this area, and have even more light come into the house. Here's an example of steep roof pitch with large windows in the gable end:

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/master-bedroom-ideas-log-homes-windows

The other thing you would want to do to maximize passive solar heating would be to use tile flooring in your great room, and perhaps install a stone fireplace / chimney in a spot where the sun would shine on it. This can be done VERY nicely in a butt and pass log home, and would look fabulous. Something like this, only on the wall opposite your south-facing windows:

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/log-homes-giant-rock-fireplace

metalchef17
02-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Ron Carter Jr. I'm from Chicago, but now live in Knoxville, TN. I found this site yesterday and after about 30 minutes...I was hooked! My wife and I have been looking at homes and property to purchase. We looked at manufactured/modular homes to save money. After some investigating on the internet...I came to the conclusion that the quality level is sub-standard. I then looked into log kit homes. Well...only for about 10 minutes. Then, by the grace of God, I found this site! WOW! Thanks to the internet, I might have saved myself TWICE from making a very costly mistake. I'm sure there are a few reputable companies out there that specialize in manufactured/modular/log kit homes for sale...but a few negative comments go along way. My wife thinks I'm crazy (she's probably right), but I have now decided that building my own home is the way to go. I can't wait to start learning!

ChainsawGrandpa
02-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Ohhh...be careful Ron, you'll get log home fever!
It makes you do crazy things.

Welcome to the forums, sounds like you're already
one of us!

-Rick

yzinger-russ
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I recently returned from the class held Feb 2-3 and finally got around to logging into my account for the first time. I wanted to say Hello to everyone! My wife and I don't have plans to build right now, but as soon as we get back from Germany we will start. Ellsworth and Steve - Thanks for all the great information in the class, it was a good time!

-Russ

Cbear429
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi my name is Cecil from Long Island, NY. Im finally coming out of the dream stage into the reality stage. My wife and I are planning to buy land and then build our log home. From viewing this website, it seems we can forgo the log home conventions, or building it ourselfs, maybe, and go with getting our logs and have a contractor build to our specs... Skips course seems to be the way to go before proceeding. Just a wealth of info on this site that I took a nap and returned.

Update 2008: We could not get our Construction to Perm loan for our log home in Maryland, So we went with a pre existing loan and got an older brick exterior home for now. We still plan to attend the class though hoping for our LOG HOME!!!!!

mike639
02-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Just wanted to say hello, I am new to the site and have been reading through the posts here. I am definately interested in taking the course and eventually building my own year round log home in Northern MA or Southern NH. My wife is a little more skeptical though I have to get her on board.

Klapton
02-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Just wanted to say hello, I am new to the site and have been reading through the posts here. I am definately interested in taking the course and eventually building my own year round log home in Northern MA or Southern NH. My wife is a little more skeptical though I have to get her on board.
It's very important to both agree on the course you will take on something like this. I would encourage BOTH of you to go to the class. Many people have gone to the class with various doubts, and just about everyone comes out of it confident that they CAN do it, and that their hard work will result in a superior home for the money spent.

rusticgirl
02-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Hi Everyone and Steve.

I have been wanting to join a class for quite some time. Prices of property have gone crazy.
It has been a dream of mine to ALWAYS live in a log home.
I have to come up with money to get to your class. The way I understand, you are full of information.

I think being somewhat self sufficient is the way to go, the way our government is headed.
Need to find a way and the courage to start.
If there is any help on info please pass some this way.

Thank you
rusticgirl

Klapton
02-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Everyone and Steve.

I have been wanting to join a class for quite some time. Prices of property have gone crazy.
It has been a dream of mine to ALWAYS live in a log home.
I have to come up with money to get to your class. The way I understand, you are full of information.

I think being somewhat self sufficient is the way to go, the way our government is headed.
Need to find a way and the courage to start.
If there is any help on info please pass some this way.

Thank you
rusticgirl
Courage and Info... Hmmm...

Start by reading some of the articles here, and looking at the Student Homes galleries. There's tons of info, and lots of success stories (i.e. finished homes) here. Then post what questions or reservations you might have in the General Forum. (Don't be afraid to start your own thread). Here's an example of someone with reservations posting questions: http://www.loghomebuilders.org/2-good-2-b-true

Let us know what questions you have. We'll do our best to answer them.

One thing I can tell you about the class is that it will help greatly to help you find that courage you need. When people used to ask Skip if something was hard he would say, "It's the hardest thing you've ever done -- until the NEXT hardest thing you've ever done." Skip is retired now, but the same CAN-DO attitude is infectious among LHBA members. The biggest thing I got from the class was the reassurance that I really CAN do this!

zerobars
02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Hello all
Brian here from Ireland, just wanted to say hello. Myself and my wife have been dreaming abiut building a log home for about seven years now. The value of our current means that we could probably sell and build and become free!! Log houses are fairly new to Ireland and only seem to be kit constructs. Until I came across your site I assumed they were the only ones. I myself have dreamed of building my oun home in the countryside since I was a kid. We moved out of the city seven years ago but couldnt get the land we wanted. So we settled for a bricks and moter house as a stop gap but we are still there. Now we think its time to realise our dream as more and more log houses are poppin up over here.
Has anyone from Ireland ever attended your seminars and would it be of benifit to us as our planning laws are probably quite different to yours.

adubar
02-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Welcome!

I do know that people from all over the world and all walks of life make up our membership. We might have some that are Irish.

I would be interested to know about how you go about building (permiting, log sourcing, etc.) in Ireland, particularly in more rural locales.

In the US and Canada much consternation is made of the local government and zoning laws. People actually relocate specifically to get away from restrictive ordinances and building codes that are previlent in many parts of the country. We still have some localities where all the government officials want to know is where your mailbox will be located!

I do know that Ireland used to be a forest island (certain neighbors to the east saw to it that they were cut down though, no? Sorry, if I'm out of line, but my great grand-mother was from Cork--most of the family still holds a certain amont of resentment) ---in this age is there a local lumber industry that could support your log needs? (forgive my ignorance). Or, would you be dealing with imported timber?
Right now, many US builders find it cheaper to actually import Canadian timber from across the border than buy locally--although, it really depends upon the specifics of the local market/supply.

-Andrew

2 cents
02-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Welcome zerobars!

When my husband & I took the class in April 2007, there was a person from New Zealand who was living in Japan and planning on building there. We also have a member who has built a beautiful log home in South Africa, I believe (I think this name is"Roy" on these forums, you may be able to search for some of his posts).

I don't know if we have any members in Ireland yet though! You share the same dreams as all of us, and you will find lots of encouragement here.

Best regards,
2 cents

zerobars
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Maybe I'm the first from Ireland!!
Im not really sure as to the local lumber industry as ive only been looking at 'kits' until I found this site, but now Im going away to rethink seven years of research into kit homes; blown away within two minutes of finding this site! It appears to be getting easier to get 'permissions' to build log houses now. There is a log house build about three miles from where I live now. I will look into the possibility of going to the next seminar because at the moment my mind is in overdrive after looking at all the gallery photos, reading the threads and information overload.
As for the neighbours well enough said:)
Cheers
Brian

tc7458
02-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi .. my name's Tom
and I'm a logaholic.

Klapton
02-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Let's all thank Tom for sharing tonight.

mike639
02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
I got her thinking. Then again I can see her doubts. I'm not the most tool savvy person in the world. A conventional home around this area is 300K so We both want to do something without a home owning us.

bkleber
02-14-2008, 02:43 AM
Where in Ireland are you? My wife and I honeymooned in Dingle, and I think a genuine log home in the butt-and-pass style would look as natural most places we drove as any of the old stone houses we saw there.

The planning you did for your kit home ideas isn't going to be thrown away, just so you know. Anything you dreamed up, you'll be able to do. But after you've taken the course, you'll be able to do it better, cheaper, and it will last as long as you live in the house - which as you probably learned from reading the articles on this site, isn't going to be the case with any type of conventional kit construction. You will be thrilled and inspired by what you see and learn. Just be prepared to have fellow LHBA members wanting to come visit you once you're done!

Alex
02-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi all

My name is Alex, I'm 28 years old (29 end of march), french canadian from Montreal, Quebec, always been in sales and marketing, but last year I've change to go work in the construction industry so I could start working with my hands and get to know some people that could be helpfull when I start to build my log house or get the land (excavator, 10 wheelers, dozer etc..). I've been reading all the post on this forum for over 2 years, I feel like I know you all already lol. It's been 5 years since I had a full night of sleep whitout thinking of my log house, and had that dream since I'm 15 years old, I feel the next month will be soo long but what is one month in a lifetime.

I just got my present before my b-day, the greatest gift someone could get, LHBA membership. So me and a friend/co-worker are comming in April, and will reserve our seats next week.

Hope to get to know you better and share our passion

Sorry for my rusty english and spelling mistake

Peace

Alex B.

zerobars
02-14-2008, 07:35 AM
We live in Cavan which has plenty of lakes to build a log cabin on. We are going to start looking for land and raise the capitil from our existing house. will look to go to the seminar later in the year if there is another one planned. Ps we're always open to visitors!!

kala
02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone again. Been a while! Just got the April news. So how is the weather in WA that time of year? We will be driving from OK (can't stand flying!). What can we expect?

Klapton
02-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Weather in wester WA in April is WET, and not very warm (50s, usually). Be prepared to find snow as you cross the Rockies and the Cascades though. It's not often that the Cascades get a huge blizzard in April, but it has been known to happen. Expect the climb up the hill from the parking lot to Skip's house to be wet and slippy -- good, outdoorsy, grippy shoes encouraged. Bring a flashlight for the walk back to your car after class. It will probably still get dark by the time class is over.

Irishlog
02-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Steve and all..
I did the course in Washington in April 2005... still havent got around to building one in Ireland yet though

Howdy all!

Welcome to the new forums... how about posting a note in this thread so we can get to know each other?

For those who don't know me, I'm instructor Steve with the Association. ;)

Dennisa
02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
My husband and I arrived this morning and it is actually fairly nice. The temps are about the same as Dallas, Tx. Its been raining on and off today but nothing bad. I will say, it is beautiful here with the all the snow dressed mountains. However, I could not imagine driving from OK. The flight was not bad at all (SeaTac Airport is another story), and this was only my 2nd time to fly. We are really excited about the class tomorrow. Just hope that it is EVERYTHING that everyone (members) claims it to be.

kala
02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Dennisa

I bet you are excited about tomorrow! Thanks for the weather report. It is supposed to be pretty frigid here (for Oklahoma standards). Let us know how the class went when you get back. I love hearing from people after they have attended one!

zerobars
02-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Hello Irishlog,
I live in Co Cavan just wondering if you found the seminar useful considering the difference between Irish building regulations etc. We are considering building a log houme in the next two years.

hornshwangler
02-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the forum zerobars! I lived in Ireland for 2 years in a small village called Greystones in County Wicklow. Beautiful country and the warmest people on the planet. I was back in country 2 years ago for almost a month on business and almost didn't leave. I hope someday to return and live out the rest of my life there. I would be interested in your view on the availability of suitable logs. I lived on the coast and, while there were some ancient trees that would make a great home, you couldn't cut these down for use. Additionally, land was very reasonable and could be acquired without a lot of money. Has this changed or are there still spots inland that can be had without sacrificing your life savings?

all the best
Dan

zerobars
02-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Land is becomming more and more expensive by the day. When I moved to Cavan 7 (inland) years ago I could have bought a plot of land on a lake for about ?30k. between 1/2 and 1 acre. Now the average price for same (without lake is ?100 k to ?150k as for Greystones well I'd say that would be mega being on the coast, it would now be viewed as prime location, ie mega expensive. Check out this Irish site, plenty of sites.
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/search/results.asp
As for logs I'm just researching that now, one site suggested I try to get rejected telephone poles!

Irishlog
02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Did some research on the logs last year but dont have ;my notes to hand.
However, I did speak to a forestry advisor with Teagasc (agriculture advice type body) and he was very interested in my log home project. He suggest local timber. I also spoke to two guys in London and in Scotland and both use locally grown timber and had no problems so far.
As for planning regulations, this differs from county to county re County Development Plans. You should contact a planner in the local council about this. I dont think it should really be a big problem as the Government is now trying to promote sustainable development etc.. In Donegal we have a pre-plannning facility on the Councils website which is very helpful. Oh by the way either of you guys can email me on crscan@yahoo.com I would be interested in swapping notes etc... PS land is not cheap ANYWHERE in Ireland!!!
PPS Zerobars I dunno about them telegraph poles....

Zigzag
02-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Well my wife and I live in northern Nova Scotia with 7acres of land and we want to build a log house. We looked at plans and kits, but thinking of buying logs (cedar) and mill them
ourselves ( we have a band mill ). Not sure what we will do ... kit is quicker,

Anyways, have a good one and good luck.

Zack

Klapton
02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Well my wife and I live in northern Nova Scotia with 7acres of land and we want to build a log house. We looked at plans and kits, but thinking of buying logs (cedar) and mill them
ourselves ( we have a band mill ). Not sure what we will do ... kit is quicker,

Anyways, have a good one and good luck.

Zack
Your band mill should come in handy for making your own rough-cut joists and rafters and such. But if you want your new log home to be standing longer than you are (or your grandchildren, for that matter), you do NOT want to cut those lovely logs!

Milled "logs" expose the grain of the wood to moisture, whereas hand-peeling them takes advantage of their own natural protection. The other problem with milled logs or kits done in a chinkless style is wood directly against wood. When the wood gets wet, capillary action draws the water in between the logs, promoting rot. The butt and pass, chinked method taught by LHBA does not have this problem (nor the settling / shrinkage problems) that these kits have.

Surfsidevicki
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi. My name is Vicki and I just joined last night. I've been considering what to do with a piece of property I have in Idaho. I've always wanted to build a log cabin on it, but when I started looking into it, I found alot of sites for kit log homes that claimed building a log home was as expensive or more than wood frame construction. Not to mention that they claimed it was as complicated as a wood framed home and implied that a builder was necessary. Somehow, I found this website and have been practically glued to it since trying to learn as much as I can and make my decision to sign up for the April class. I have a couple of questions: 1) I had a trip planned up to Idaho during the summer.. if there was a class then, it would be convenient for me to drive up, take the class, and then on to Idaho. What are the chances of a summer class being offered? 2) Does the class address foundations on a sloped lot (my land is sloped). 3) Does the class get into how to install the electrical and plumbing? 4) Is it possible to build a log home with a garage below and 2 stories above? (requirements for my lot may mean that I need some garage area). Thanks! I'm excited!

Klapton
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi. My name is Vicki and I just joined last night. I've been considering what to do with a piece of property I have in Idaho. I've always wanted to build a log cabin on it, but when I started looking into it, I found alot of sites for kit log homes that claimed building a log home was as expensive or more than wood frame construction. Not to mention that they claimed it was as complicated as a wood framed home and implied that a builder was necessary. Somehow, I found this website and have been practically glued to it since trying to learn as much as I can and make my decision to sign up for the April class. I have a couple of questions:

1) I had a trip planned up to Idaho during the summer.. if there was a class then, it would be convenient for me to drive up, take the class, and then on to Idaho. What are the chances of a summer class being offered?
Classes happen when there is demand, and when the instructors are available. The problem is that these guys make their living building log homes, and summer is prime building time. So it's hard to say if/when they will have another class. Sign up for the email notification, and keep visiting the site!

2) Does the class address foundations on a sloped lot (my land is sloped).

Yes, various foundation types are covered in the class, including "walk-out basements" or garages.

3) Does the class get into how to install the electrical and plumbing?

The class covers the challenges of electrical and plumbing that are unique to log homes. (Stuff like how do to get outlets in a log wall, etc.) It does NOT teach you everything you need to know about plumbing and electrical to do your own. If you don't already have construction experience, the class is merely the BEGINNING of your studies. Just yesterday I read a book about plumbing, and started another one today about electical, hehe. The nice thing is that there are LOTS of resources available to learn all the conventional stuff that goes into a log home.

4) Is it possible to build a log home with a garage below and 2 stories above? (requirements for my lot may mean that I need some garage area). Thanks! I'm excited!
There are several things that will affect how you will be allowed to build your home. I use the word "allowed" because one thing you will face is local codes. For example, I was looking at a large, cheap propety on a flood plain. I am interested in having a garage below my 40x40 log home too, and the code in that county was cool, as long as that bottom floor was ONLY for vehicle storage and house access (and flood vents in the foundation wall, etc.) But then the other challenge was getting the whole thing to be 35' tall or less. Using a 4/12 roof pitch, and lower second floor cielings, I could do it.

The amount of slope, and the stability of the soils on your property will also determine if you can build there. It's for the best, however, since it sure would be a shame to build a beautiful log home only to have it slide away after a rain storn, hehe.

The cost of building a log home has a LOT of variables. Some folks here have built AMAZINGLY cheap, and others have built lovely EXPENSIVE log homes. The biggest variable is how much of the work you are able to do yourself. The next biggest is how much fancy stuff you want inside of it. If money was no object, for example, I could easily blow 100k building a kitchen, lol. How much your logs end up costing can very widely from FREE, if you have suitable timber on your land to expensive depending on the market (how much mills are paying for logs) and how far you have to ship them.

But if your desire is to build an extremely sturdy home for LESS than a rickety stick-built home would cost, it CAN be done, and the class will teach you how. After that, it's up to you and your determination to make it happen!

JD
02-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the forums. I know what you mean about the kit homes. They're awful pretty but very expensive and the ones I've looked at up close did not impress me. One model I toured actually had a big flower pot, on the back deck, that was hiding a rotten hole the size of a silver dollar. I moved the pot and poked my finger through the caulk they had used in an attempt to plug the hole and could not feel anything but empty space and mushy, rotten wood inside. This "model" home couldn't be more than about 10 years old.
But to answer your questions before my rant gets any worse:
1. The classes are usually not scheduled that far out because of the instructor's schedules. However, you can sign to be notified by email when a new class is scheduled or there is a cancellation or you can just keep checking the site. Here's the link to the notification page. http://www.loghomebuilders.org/alert
2. Yes. The class covers foundations. If they don't put out the info you need about sloped land, just ask.
3. The class covers some of the tricks that are unigue to wiring a log home. However, it will not teach you how to do electrical work or make you an electrician. That's way beyond the scope of a weekend class. I recommend reading through the forum threads on this topic (when you have access to the member's section) and talking with other members who have already wired their homes. They'll be able to give you the best advice.
4. Yes. It is possible to build butt and pass homes with a foundation and multiple floors. Here's a link to another thread. About half way down the page, you'll find a post from Rocklock with a picture of his home with a basement. http://www.loghomebuilders.org/2-good-2-b-true

Klapton
02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm afraid that thread got badly derailed, and became HIGHLY technical, so the mods moved it to the member's section. Let me see if I can get the picture linkied here...

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/IMG_2765.jpg

Bernie
02-22-2008, 03:53 AM
A holiday to Ontario as a child gave me the dream for what LHBA is about.
I'm looking to sign up for class to start the ball rolling and get some focus.

Loghomeguy
02-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi everyone !

Michael Simmons here.

I took the weekend class in 1987 and did the journeyman's course in 1988.

I cannot remember if i did the intro thing or not shows how OLD I am.

Just want to say hello to all of you. I have worked on dozens of log structures since 1987 and one "kit" home in 1973.

I am glad to be here and share what I know.

There have been many changes with regard to permits, plans etc over those years. The current staff is up on all that.

One of my areas of expertise is job site safety as I have worked several commercial projects including road bridge building and skyscraper downtown Seattle . Never stand with your back to a hole in a floor! never.

Housekeeping is another critical element of job site safety Keep it clean and it will go smoother

I am a terminally disorganized creative genius.

My trade has taken me as far as Puerto Varas , Chile, I have worked on structures in WA, ID, CA, MT and Louisiana.

I love this site and the people herein.

Glad to be back.

Timber
02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I am a terminally disorganized creative genius. -loghomeguy wrote

wow- leave out the genius part we might be brothers

Loghomeguy
02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Michael Simmons

I was just being funny, of course I am not a genius, but I am creative, leave out the sarcasm and we shall be fine!

Timber
02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
i know you were joking no sarcasm intended only on my part/ its just i am unorganized as it goes! and i dont like that
i admire organized people
a place for everything and everything in its place

Surfsidevicki
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Klapton:
Thanks for your reply! I just figured out how these forums (I think) work and just found it today! Anyway, I signed up for the April class.. guess I couldn't wait! I am definately looking forward to it. I'll get my plumbing and electrical books out! I've done quite a bit of work on remodeling the house I'm in (some concrete work, tiling, drywall, finish woodworking) but hired a plumber and electrician, so I'm not afraid to work and am planning on doing much of the work on a log home myself (the more I can do, the better!). I like your idea of a 40' x 40' house with a garage below.. but I may even include the garage in a 2 story 40' x 40'. All of this is in the beginning stages of thought, so thanks for humoring me!
Vicki

Cy
02-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Hello everyone,

I suppose after lurking and reading on this board for several months I should finally introduce myself. My name is Cy and I live in the Appalachian Mountains area of Virginia...33 y/o. I work as an accountant (yawn). I only live a few miles away from part of the Appalachian Trail. As you can imagine, there are trees in every direction I look here. The LHBA method looks like it would be a perfect fit for the area I live in.

Cy

K2
02-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I have been wanting to build a log home since I first discovered this site back in 85. Now that I have the right women, her name is Karen, to help me make this dream come true. We are going to be attending the April 19-20 class and just can't wait. We are so excited about this opportunity to learn a new skill, skills that we can share with others in our time left on this planet.

tanderson
02-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm "between" jobs and may be relocating to a less suburban area. I've always loved log homes and it looks like I may end up in a town close to a prison because of a new job. Prisons are generally out of town and I'm hoping for something in Lassen County, California with land and plenty of timber. The possibility of being able to build my own home is very appealing to me. I've always wanted to flip a home while living in it. This sounds like an even better idea. Time will tell and I will be scouring the boards in the interim. This looks like a great site and I'm glad they promote getting an "early start" in many areas.

Tom

Timber
03-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Welcome
Hi Tom, Lassen is nice looking place=seen it on a TV program-my kind of place

richardratcliff
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I have been viewing your website for almost a year. I will be attending the April Class and have wanted to do so for quite a while. I'm real excited to be able to attend. December 2006 I bought 82 acres in Jacks Creek, Tn. It has 50 year old timber on it and Im, hoping to cut my own logs for my cabin. My goal is probably the same as everyone else. I want my home paid for. This will give me that opportunity. I love the pictures of the student log homes. I'm quite handy and believe I can do this. It is going to be a great experience. Can't wait to get there.

Rick Ratcliff

stillsmilin
03-01-2008, 03:40 PM
So I stumbled across this site a couple of months ago while reluctantly attempting to join the rat race via a kit home. (Thank God this shows up first in Google. ) Like I am sure many others feel/felt, my initial thought was "too good to be true" and "can it really be done?". Well, through countless hours of surfing and peeking around the boards, viewing some amazing homes in the students gallery, I've gone from a skeptic to a believer. So first off, thanks for having this forum and a special thanks to all the contributors. The sense of community around the boards was the final thing that help me commit to my new dream.
I pulled the trigger and signed up for class this morning, now if someone can tell me how I am supposed to wait for the class to start, I'd be all set. Keep in mind I wasn't born with patience (and I know I will need it to build the house :-) .
I'm a 33 yr old male, living in Des Moines Wa and soon to be moving out of what will hopefully be the last stick built I ever live in. In two weeks I should be relocated to a 5th wheel on some family property in North Bend. No TV, no internet (I'll still get LHBA forum time at work), just me and my unbuilt log home. So if anyone has any good recommendations on electrical or plumbing for the completely ignorant, let me know. It will help me pass the time until class starts (once again, is it April yet?).
Now for a couple of other questions-

Does anyone know about bear damaged trees. We have quite a few around our property that are going to die or are dead. When do those trees go bad?

Can you harvest some trees one year and some the next? Or does that cause problems as some logs would be seasoned (or at least more seasoned) than others. I know that you can build with Skips method with green logs and that it will all make sense with an "AAHH" sound once we get to class, but what about a combination of the two? (or does a year not make a difference)

It is my understanding that once the trees have fell, it is best to get the bark off them sooner as opposed to later because of insects. However, is it bad (or maybe I should say, how bad is it) to do this than move them to another site down the road.

Well, that it starters, I have a whole bunch of other questions popping around my head, but I am going to practice patience ;-)

P.S. I saw this on craigslist and was curious if it is a good or decent deal, and if it is please pass it on to the LHBA community, as this is to far out for me. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/for/585184451.html

Thanks again and look forward to meeting and hearing from all of you.

Jason

This was not meant to be so long winded, I'm just excited.