PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

BoFuller
03-16-2020, 09:17 AM
There are lots of build threads, but probably only on the members side. You’ll like mine (AZ Ranch) especially because I had a Tacoma all during the build, and now I traded it for a Tundra. :)

If you happen to be a member of Tractorbynet, you can see almost the identical thread there (AZ Ranch).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DoubleJRanch
03-16-2020, 11:25 AM
There are lots of build threads, but probably only on the members side. You’ll like mine (AZ Ranch) especially because I had a Tacoma all during the build, and now I traded it for a Tundra. :)

I'm on it Bo, looking for member builds. I'm too green to offer advice yet, but I have been studying LHBA members homes for years. In fact, anytime I see a log home, I can say "he was a member of the LHBA or not" just by looking at it. A unique style design.

Good choice on trucks too. I used to have a Tacoma, 98 TRD off road pkg was ext cab, V6 5 spd 4WD, bought new, sold it in 2013 with 60K miles, blue book was $7600, I sold it for $13,500!!! Those things are nuts in value (5 to 6K over blue book all day long). Anyway, took money, paid off house and put rest in bank. I had 5 trucks at one time, wife was squeezing me to thin the herd. Tundra a 5.7? 4.30:1 axle ratio, they are pulling monsters for a gas rig for sure. I just have my big 2010 Ram diesel, crew cab long bed, 21.5 feet long. 6 spd manual, 4WD, its been perfect for my cabin build, drags my enclosed cargo trailer full of tools and other stuff over 3 mt passes with ease. I ordered it online, flew into Idaho to pick it up and realized how long it was, but glad I went long bed.
LHBA was offering a special this weekend before prices jump, I know there has to be more newbs in here. Wish they would chime in.

Nice meeting you Bo. ;) I'm going to recon your build.

GreenEyes
03-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Hello! Welcome to the group. What is the special on?

We took the class on our 18th wedding anniversary in June 2011. More of our story is on the other side, but haven't built yet. Went a different route for now, but not giving up.

Sent using Tapatalk

DoubleJRanch
03-18-2020, 04:50 AM
Hello! Welcome to the group. What is the special on?

We took the class on our 18th wedding anniversary in June 2011. More of our story is on the other side, but haven't built yet. Went a different route for now, but not giving up.

Sent using Tapatalk

GreenEyes, it was for non members. Huge price jump and no more lifetime memberships, will come with an annual cost, midnight Sunday was the last shot. I have been on their mailer for over a decade, and this pushed me over, plus the online version. My biggest part was getting time away. This was an answer to my prayer. So I signed up Friday when I got the first emailing. For existing LHBA members, its a non issue. So here I am. You guys have to put up with my for many years I hope.

loghousenut
03-18-2020, 08:28 AM
So why aren't we putting up with you on the member's side of the forum?

DoubleJRanch
03-18-2020, 11:06 AM
So why aren't we putting up with you on the member's side of the forum?

You will, in time. I have not built yet, so I'm not going to do much advising yet. More reading and absorbing. I am certain I have things to contribute, but baby steps at first. Still going through "bootcamp" too. SO I want to finish up my course. With corona virus maybe I will self quarantine and bang it out in a day or two. LOL :D
I will migrate to the members forum. See ya there LHN. ;D

mudflap
03-19-2020, 05:29 AM
I am married, 2 girls, 4 grand-kids, live in Olympia, hobbies are ham radio, shooting, hunting, but haven't done any in 12 years, I spend all my vacation time at my cabin now playing and making improvements to the land. I'm a Toyota dealer tech by trade, same place for 31+ yrs now.

Wanting to get to know others in here. I have loads of great pictures to share too. Not log stuff yet, but know members will enjoy. Havent figured out how to post pictures yet.
Rick

Another toyota guy? Hi. Me too. Just replaced the v6 in my 95 pickup, and while I was at it, rerouted the exhaust.

Welcome from Alabama!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

DoubleJRanch
03-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Another toyota guy? Hi. Me too. Just replaced the v6 in my 95 pickup, and while I was at it, rerouted the exhaust.

Welcome from Alabama!

Thank you from Washington. Right on Mudflap, 95, they had a split year, original "truck" and later was "Tacoma" sometimes called a 95 1/2, I assume Tacoma and its a 3.4 V6 assuming its a 6 cylinder. Yes, dealer tech, same store for 31 yrs. Wonderful employer. A fellow co worker who is now retired knew and worked with Jeff Cooley, he is a LHBA member and built a gorgeous home in Gig Harbor WA. I know many of you probably know him. He used to work for Art Morrison Race car chassis builder co worker said he was very talented.

I found my way into the members section while looking around, so most of my chatter will be in there now. loghousenut pointed me in that direction. Glad to meet you mudflap. I'm enjoying this. I have rekindled my log home fire in the belly.

Doc
03-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Hello everyone, I am called Doc by all who know me. I have been desiring to build real log home for at least 10 years. Never made it to the class, so now have joined the online group members. Own land in Ocala, FL, horse capitol of the world, so looking to build. Any info on FL building of log or anyone know anyone here building please let me know. Thank you and prayers for God's protection during these troubled times.

"I'm your huckleberry" Doc Holiday

mudflap
03-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Thank you from Washington. Right on Mudflap, 95, they had a split year, original "truck" and later was "Tacoma" sometimes called a 95 1/2, I assume Tacoma and its a 3.4 V6 assuming its a 6 cylinder. Yes, dealer tech, same store for 31 yrs. Wonderful employer. A fellow co worker who is now retired knew and worked with Jeff Cooley, he is a LHBA member and built a gorgeous home in Gig Harbor WA. I know many of you probably know him. He used to work for Art Morrison Race car chassis builder co worker said he was very talented.

I found my way into the members section while looking around, so most of my chatter will be in there now. loghousenut pointed me in that direction. Glad to meet you mudflap. I'm enjoying this. I have rekindled my log home fire in the belly.Yeah, it's got the 3.0. Researching it, I think I had the problem where the back cylinder next to the crossover pipe gets too hot- my valves burned up in that cylinder. I bought a new motor off ebay and plugged it in. And re-routed that pipe down away from that cylinder.

aaroncgi
03-19-2020, 02:49 PM
loghousenut,

We just signed up for the class, last weekend. With all that's going on (and my wife's crazy work schedule), haven't had time to start it yet, but hopefully will do so, within the next week. Looking forward to that, too! :)

Going down to the property tomorrow and Saturday to enjoy some beautiful spring weather (finally!) and get started on more projects. May do a little logging - limbing and cutting up downed trees - not felling them. But that may be in the future.

Aaron

aaroncgi
03-19-2020, 02:57 PM
Rick,

Really nice place you've built for your family up in Okanogan, real nice. I'm sure they enjoy it a lot. I think that's about the best I've seen a shipping container look (no offense to those building actual residences from them)! We're in your area often, as Olympia is about halfway between our current house and future log home, plus my Mom also lives in Olympia.

DoubleJRanch
03-20-2020, 11:25 AM
Yeah, it's got the 3.0. Researching it, I think I had the problem where the back cylinder next to the crossover pipe gets too hot- my valves burned up in that cylinder. I bought a new motor off ebay and plugged it in. And re-routed that pipe down away from that cylinder.

Ok, you have the early 95, pre Tacoma, ie VZN110L model (door jamb sticker) Probably the R150F 5 spd, 4:30 axle ratio... I cut my teeth on these. A tech during the headgasket recall era, I got that down to 3.5 hours.

No, burnt vales are just usually not enough clearance. They are shims and so they get neglected. Measure them stone cold, you will find intakes will all be fine, exhaust can get snug. If too tight, the valve doesnt fully seat, but still runs good, and by not fully seating, its unable to get rid of the heat in the valve top. For that small time its close, its losing heat to the head. Usually about 150K to 200K on an engine that has had its oil always changed ie no abnormal wear. The normal wear is to get tight. Abnormal is to get looser.

Shims only get so thin in size too, I have seen where the smallest shim made is still too tight. Means valve has burrowed it way too deep and no shims made. They get too thin, they will kick out or be lower than the bucket. I have access to factory manuals, I can send you a nice chart to aid in picking the right shims too.

DoubleJRanch
03-20-2020, 11:33 AM
Rick,

Really nice place you've built for your family up in Okanogan, real nice. I'm sure they enjoy it a lot. I think that's about the best I've seen a shipping container look (no offense to those building actual residences from them)! We're in your area often, as Olympia is about halfway between our current house and future log home, plus my Mom also lives in Olympia.

Small world Aaron, isnt it. Hey. that container is just a quick look at my style. I am super picky about everything I do.

Aaron, I am here to tell you. Oregon gets lots of fires in the summer, especially eastern Oregon. As someone who almost lost it all twice during one fire, give yourself enough space between vegetation and home, gravel doesnt burn and baffles on gable vents, hardi soffit for under eaves, metal roof, all trim angled to shed blowing spark, no firewood on or under porch etc. Dont rule out plumbing under eaves with small holes drilled into it to turn water on to wet eaves in the event a fire does come your way. I always wanted a cabin nestled under the trees, till the fires came, got an emergency group of friends, took emergency time off work, we went into the gates of hell, smoke so thick, you could cut it with a knife. No living things seen except aggressive yellow jackets and aggressive flies biting at dry skin on my elbows. I cut way back, then next spring, in came load after load of gravel.

My truck smelled of smoke for several months and forest fire doesnt have that nice campground wood smoke, it stinks, its different.

aaroncgi
04-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Rick,

Yes, both Oregon and Washington have had lots of big fires in recent years. That's all good advice about house design and vegetation placement. Our house will be sitting in the middle of a three acre clearing. We'll plant many new trees and shrubs as we see fit, but all keeping in mind maintenance, access, and fire protection. We're definitely using a metal roof; it just makes the most sense to us, for many more ways than fire safety. A cabin nestled under the trees is a beautiful thing, and usually, we don't have to worry about fires on our side of the mountains. But, the summers (2019 excepted) do seem to be getting hotter and dryer. We can always make a tiny little cabin in the woods, that isn't our primary residence.

RingofFire
10-04-2020, 09:39 AM
Hello from AK,
Just finished the online course in record time. Great information and well presented. Thank you for opportunity. We’re looking to start building in a year or so. We’ll have an unobstructed view of Cook Inlet and 5 volcanoes from our great room so we have to match the majesty by building a log home with the biggest logs we can find and afford. I’m all about DIY so this construction method is a perfect fit. Thanks again.

loghousenut
10-04-2020, 04:43 PM
Welcome aboard Mr. Fire. I also just took the course... from Skip in 1981. You'll like it here.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Ramblin Randy
11-08-2020, 01:13 AM
Greetings,

My uncle is the town historian having written 5 books and has helped restore 5 structures in town. Hard to walk in his foot steps... but I do love history. Currently restoring a fishing cabin on the family farm.
-Randy

Bosebuck
04-06-2021, 11:28 AM
Hello Everyone,

My Name is Bill and I recently joined LHBA and completed the class. I’ve been following LHBA for over 10 years educating myself on the building techniques and comparing them to others. My goal was to learn the best system so when I was able to move forward with my dream, I was well prepared.

I’m an avid outdoorsman and am often found in the mountains and backwaters of Maine. My dream of having a remote log home in Maine has never left me. As unpredictable as life can be, I am now able to make that dream a reality. I have a solid skill set in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, masonry and so on.

I’m currently looking for land and have a few parcels that I’m looking at that might work. My goal is to get land purchased by the fall.

I will post on my progress and help out others as much as I can along the way.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Thank you for all your help.

Bill

loghousenut
05-03-2021, 09:54 PM
How come I am just now seeing this and how come everyone is waiting for me to welcome you home? Must I do all the heavy lifting around here?

How about you get situated over on the member's side of the forum where the action really happens and then we can properly initiate you.

allen84
05-04-2021, 02:55 PM
You kind of forget about the public forum after you gain access to the member's side! ;)

panderson03
05-05-2021, 09:19 AM
welcome Bosebuck. looking forward to following your land hunt!

jono1028
04-12-2022, 10:36 AM
Hey, I saw you posted sometime back about knowing a guy in Georgia that builds/disassembles log homes. I live 50 miles noth of Atlanta and currently live in a Log Home. We are selling and I want to disassemble my log home to relocate. It is a double tongue and groove round/round home constructed with lag-bolts. Just wondering if you know someone in Georgia that might be interested. jono1028@yahoo.com

allen84
04-12-2022, 03:36 PM
Hey, I saw you posted sometime back about knowing a guy in Georgia that builds/disassembles log homes. I live 50 miles noth of Atlanta and currently live in a Log Home. We are selling and I want to disassemble my log home to relocate. It is a double tongue and groove round/round home constructed with lag-bolts. Just wondering if you know someone in Georgia that might be interested. jono1028@yahoo.com

Leave it and start over. Take a look around this website, there's a better way. :)

loghousenut
04-12-2022, 06:42 PM
Jono, Allen is not being mean, he's just in a hurry and spitting out 6 paragraphs of great advice in a short gruff sorta way. Allen deals in real estate and I'll bet he thinks you should plant flowers and gussy up the place so some Californian will offer $20,000 over top dollar, giving you a real head start on building your own LHBA log house with your own hands.

That's really what this site is all about. Personally, I spent some time, some sweat, and some money, to build the coolest house in the neighborhood, and it's the house I will die in. What a great thing!

Read on and see what we mean.

mudflap
04-12-2022, 06:48 PM
20 miles north of Atlanta is....about 2 hours east of mine.

Come take a tour....

Then you might do like Allen says: sell yours, buy a huge piece of acreage, build your own, and still have money left over to travel the world or whatever folks do post-Covid....

allen84
04-12-2022, 07:28 PM
Jono, Allen is not being mean, he's just in a hurry and spitting out 6 paragraphs of great advice in a short gruff sorta way. Allen deals in real estate and I'll bet he thinks you should plant flowers and gussy up the place so some Californian will offer $20,000 over top dollar, giving you a real head start on building your own LHBA log house with your own hands.

That's really what this site is all about. Personally, I spent some time, some sweat, and some money, to build the coolest house in the neighborhood, and it's the house I will die in. What a great thing!

Read on and see what we mean.

Nope. Probably $40K more in this neck of the woods. Flowers are pretty.

allen84
04-12-2022, 07:32 PM
Anything between Atlanta and Nashville is prime real estate if you bought it right.

allen84
04-12-2022, 07:39 PM
LHN is right. I could spit out 7-10 paragraphs of personal advice on this matter. Spend your money on something new,

allen84
04-12-2022, 07:48 PM
Do you already have a place to relocate it if that's what you do?

allen84
04-13-2022, 08:24 AM
Jono, even if there is some kind of significant personal attachment you have to this building, I still think you should let it go and start something fresh. Your money will likely be better spent, in my humble opinion.

I was 5 years old when I went with my dad to trade in our old Volvo, back when buying a car took all day. When it was time to leave that car behind, I cried like a baby. I've probably bought, sold and traded 100 of my own vehicles since then. No, I'm not a sleezy car salesman.

Holding onto nice things forever and taking care of them is great... But there is also nothing like the fresh start of something new and different.

There you go LHN, my profound 6 paragraphs on the matter.

Edited to add: If you can get rid of things, even if you replace them with something different, you are technically not a hoarder... No matter how much crap you accumulate.

daniel_boone
04-25-2022, 05:50 AM
My name is Chris, we own a log home that is built from the logs of the Calloway cabin form the North fork of the New River in Western North Carolina. The old cabin had a single room, built by the Calloway family, Daniel Boone's wife's family. The logs are now the ground floor of our cabin, which has a basement and a second floor. We have been told the logs are from the 1830s, and I am looking to find a place to discuss maintenance.

loghousenut
04-25-2022, 08:46 AM
My name is Chris, we own a log home that is built from the logs of the Calloway cabin form the North fork of the New River in Western North Carolina. The old cabin had a single room, built by the Calloway family, Daniel Boone's wife's family. The logs are now the ground floor of our cabin, which has a basement and a second floor. We have been told the logs are from the 1830s, and I am looking to find a place to discuss maintenance.We'll, you have found the place to post some photos.

panderson03
04-28-2022, 06:31 PM
welcome, Chris. fascinating story! send pics. that will help us help you. glad you're here

alaskangilli
10-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Hello. My name is Trevor. My wife and I made a big move out of California and up to Alaska. After being here a year we decided to purchase a home with some property. We found on older Log Home that needed some work in a great part of town sitting on a couple of acres and decided to get it. Now were working on fixing it up and living the best Alaskan life.

treadback
10-27-2022, 08:01 AM
Hi folks. I'm John, we live in Utah but will be slowly moving up to some property we bought in Montana over the next 10 years.

I'm slowly learning with books, youtubes, etc and am considering the online lhba class.

I'm hoping someone in Montana or Utah who is a DIYer and building next year might need some help for a few days in exchange for some experience?

I've built yurts myself including the concrete piers at 9,000' elevation, plenty of light plumbing and electrical, and some steel roofing.

loghousenut
10-27-2022, 09:41 AM
Take the class, John. Hard to go wrong, no matter what you build. A lot of it is lifestyle and you'll absorb a lot of it with the relationships you develop here.

mudflap
10-28-2022, 06:25 AM
Hi folks. I'm John, we live in Utah but will be slowly moving up to some property we bought in Montana over the next 10 years.

I'm slowly learning with books, youtubes, etc and am considering the online lhba class.

I'm hoping someone in Montana or Utah who is a DIYer and building next year might need some help for a few days in exchange for some experience?

I've built yurts myself including the concrete piers at 9,000' elevation, plenty of light plumbing and electrical, and some steel roofing.

Hi John -
Welcome!

Don't be like me and study LHBA for 10 years before finally diving in - just dive in and take the class. I took it when it was almost $800 and live in Las Vegas, so whatever they are charging now (<$500?) is a steal. Plus, you get to know LHN and all the other nuts on here. I was a lurker for years - wish I would've started building back then. Anyway, I'm also from Utah, but after 15 years in Alabama, I think it suits me. We are now months away from finishing our home, it's been the experience of a lifetime.

dgrover13
11-12-2022, 04:14 PM

I've built yurts myself including the concrete piers at 9,000' elevation, plenty of light plumbing and electrical, and some steel roofing.You fit right in here[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk