PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Mosseyme
01-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Hey now there is an offer that would be worth a very long drive. What a load of awesome for a few newbees to get a gander at.

panderson03
01-23-2015, 06:34 AM
you guys are so funny!
now don't go confusing the newbies:mad:

GreenEyes
01-23-2015, 06:58 AM
When we first found the LHBA website (probably 2004), it mentioned classes in Washington state. Think we had priced airfare, hotel, and car rental, which would have been necessary. Later we saw classes mentioned in Las Vegas, which wasn't our kind of place, and thought we'd rather take the class in Washington state or almost anywhere else. Didn't realize at the time that Skip had died and there would be no more classes at his house. I don't remember for sure, but was probably much less expensive (for flight and lodging) taking the class in Vegas when we finally got around to it in 2011. Saw one show that was pretty cool while we were there, but didn't do anything else other than the class and meals. Vegas is still not the kind of place this small-town Christian country girl enjoys, but the class was awesome! Definitely worth the trip.

phorvath
01-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Hello loghousenut!
Sorry I don't know your name yet.
I have a question for you. Once someone purchases a piece of land and are about to start construction, what have the student members done about finding a place to live? Do they rent a place in the nearest town or lease an RV? I have seen office construction trailers for rent but nothing offered for living in on the construction site.
Thanks and have a great day!
Phil

rocklock
01-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Once someone purchases a piece of land and are about to start construction, what have the student members done about finding a place to live?

We recommend living on the property but how is a very individual answer... I bought a travel trailer and just sold it for $1.00 There are several that bought a mobile home for very little or free. And then there are some that require more amenities and accoutrements. We have taken hot showers at neighbors, camp grounds, relatives, pot bathes and now an outdoor shower that is indoors.

To me, the most important things in order are 1. a toilet that flushes 2. a good bed to keep warm. 3. place to keep cold stuff (beer, milk,etc.) 4. A hot shower. 5. a stove and oven 6. a freezer. 7. A sink with a drain 8. A good chair to relax and a table and coaster for your hot or cold beverage. 9. a place to keep stuff out of the weather but handy enough to get too and of course reliable transportation.

Keep in mind, your life pardner must agree or be willing to accept the challenges as they are presented... Not all are ready to do this stuff.

I am reminded of our relatives in the far past that had none of these things. Building a log home is not for the faint of heart at any time...

StressMan79
01-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Keep in mind, your life pardner must agree or be willing to accept the challenges as they are presented... Not all are ready to do this stuff.

Indeed

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

panderson03
01-24-2015, 06:07 PM
rocklock makes some great points
we waste a lot of time traveling from home to build site

loghousenut
01-24-2015, 06:33 PM
We bought a chunk of property that had an ugly trailer on it that had been a rental. It was kinda nasty and smelled like Pitbull pee but we redid the carpet and painted over a lot of cigarette smell and finally got the thing livable enough to suffice as temporary quarters till we got the log house done. Then we raised our Son as we argued about finances and how big the log house oughta be and whether to get a legal building permit or not and suddenly, 16 years later, we started the house.

If you and the Boss are the kind of people who can plan a three day work trip to the property, and be sure to take along all the right tools and hardware, as well as camp gear, etc... Well you folks may be organized and driven enough to build a log home from a distance.

I am relaxed, forgetful, and lazy and I really like living right here on the property. When I am done for the day, I set my tools down and walk away, leaving the dog to guard them. I suggest you find a happy medium between my relaxed building plan and the 6 month (divorce) plan.

If your dream property is somewhere where you don't want to live, then why build a log home on it? If it is where you want to live but you need temporary housing, then I really like the ugly trailer idea. It has to be cheap enough to be disposable and large enough to get the job done for as long as it takes to build that house.

Both spouses have to be more than 100% in agreeance on every aspect of this temporary living situation. No house is worth a divorce.

Signed Porky... er, I mean, Ron

Mosseyme
01-24-2015, 06:35 PM
We travel 7-8 hrs round trip but have 2 weeks off at times due to job sharing. We built a 10x12 tool shed then turned it into a camp shack and added a 10x14 porch on the front where we put in a kitchen sink and propane 3 burner stove. We just got a hot shower a little over a year ago after almost 15 yrs of camping here. We were here many years before we started the log home journey. We still have portajohns set up and we leave a pretty decent home to come and camp here and are never ready to leave and go back to the other life. Hot shower is really good especially since the water comes out of the creek and is very cold.
Some have bought property with a negative value mobile home and fixed it up enough to live in. Lots of strokes for different folks.

rreidnauer
01-25-2015, 04:31 AM
Yep. I was doing the eight hour round trip too, until I finally got layed off from my job. Moved right out to the property, into an RV I was preparing to live in. (septic wasn't quite done when I moved, but had water, power, and heat sorted) Cost of living is really low, and you're right at the site to get as much done as possible.

Little Eagle
01-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Hello everyone i am very very new to this site and have yet to get a chance to go to the class (which i hope i can do quite soon), So for now i will just be happy with posting here and learning as much as i can. I was reading the post about where to live, i guess in a way i have a advantage, as i am a truck driver, in the same breath a disadvantage as in i do not come home but for a few days a month. I always wanted to comment on the hot shower, if you have a truck stop on your way in or out a shower is only about 12 dollars. Or with a rewards cards says from a loves or pilot you can gain showers through the purchase of fuel. I hope i can learn as much as i can and even more when i can get to the class. I have loved logs home since i was a kid, always thought they felt so warm and inviting.

Mosseyme
01-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Welcome Little Eagle, a lot of reading available before class.

Little Eagle
01-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Thank you very much Mossey!

hotshotrucking
01-26-2015, 05:04 AM
Getting back to Little Eagles comment about the showers at truck stops, a good investment for anyone besides a cell phone if your traveling distances between home & builds a CB can also be helpful, many drivers like myself are home everyday but as we fuel up we earn points towards purchases and free showers which do expire within a few weeks, we fuel every other day so I build up some. These are commonly given away at the truck stops and rather than asking drivers as they exit a person could ask on the CB, might sound funny but most drivers are the nicest people you'll meet unless you cut over in front on them and apply the brakes/lol.
Welcome aboard Little Eagle whats your 20?

Little Eagle
01-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Getting back to Little Eagles comment about the showers at truck stops, a good investment for anyone besides a cell phone if your traveling distances between home & builds a CB can also be helpful, many drivers like myself are home everyday but as we fuel up we earn points towards purchases and free showers which do expire within a few weeks, we fuel every other day so I build up some. These are commonly given away at the truck stops and rather than asking drivers as they exit a person could ask on the CB, might sound funny but most drivers are the nicest people you'll meet unless you cut over in front on them and apply the brakes/lol.
Welcome aboard Little Eagle whats your 20?

Im out in Cali about to be headed back to Lebanon, TN. How about you Hotshot? As far as the CB that is also a very good idea, and most drivers are very nice, like you said unless you cut me off and hit your brakes lol!

phorvath
01-26-2015, 11:08 AM
My buddy and i took a cab/shuttle from the airport. Took the train from hotel to class. We rented scooters one day to explore. We rented a jeep another day to visit red rock and grand canyon.

I see that you are from Pennsylvania. I grew up outside of Philadelphia in Oreland, PA and Flourtown, PA. I spent a lot of my time in Fairmont Park along the Wissahicken Creek also up in Chestnut Hill.
I am now living in Mississippi working for a utility down here. I plan to book the May 30 -31, 2015 class but it will have to be after I get my 2014 Federal Income Tax (theft) forms in. I will book as soon as I can. I just hope there will be a seat open for me.
Where did you take the train from to your class? Where are you in Pennsylvania?
Have a great day!
Phil

phorvath
01-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Hello Little Eagle.
I will be signing up for the May 30, 2015 class in Vegas. I'm still researching everything including solar panels, batteries, generators, inverters, submersible pumps, composting toilets, Alladin Lamps etc., so that I can spend my retirement as close as possible off the grid. I love log cabins too. I've been following the land prices in Montana as well as Alaska for some time now. I still think for me Montana would be better. I want to buy 20 acreas if I can. Prices are reasonable.:cool:
I hope to meet you soon. You guys driving out there do a great job for us! Thanks!
Best Luck,
Phil

Little Eagle
01-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Hello Little Eagle.
I will be signing up for the May 30, 2015 class in Vegas. I'm still researching everything including solar panels, batteries, generators, inverters, submersible pumps, composting toilets, Alladin Lamps etc., so that I can spend my retirement as close as possible off the grid. I love log cabins too. I've been following the land prices in Montana as well as Alaska for some time now. I still think for me Montana would be better. I want to buy 20 acreas if I can. Prices are reasonable.:cool:
I hope to meet you soon. You guys driving out there do a great job for us! Thanks!
Best Luck,
Phil

Well thank you very much Phil! I hope i can have the cash to make the class but right now im quite tight on money. I lived in montana for 13 years, most of it was in three forks, worked in bozeman at the town and country foods and bears stove and spa for a few years. The spa job got me to big sky a lot working on peoples hot tubs. I also worked in a lumber yard right outside three forks headed toward logan on the frontage road, dont even know if they are still there. I remember my boss asking me what the temp was one day before work, i looked and said -30, he said oh well we will show up 30 mins later then normal. whooo hoooo lol :confused:

phorvath
01-27-2015, 03:46 AM
Good Morning!
I hope you can make it to the class and look forward to meeting you. Money is tight everywhere. Something always comes up like a dead car battery etc. Your experience working at a lumber yard should be of great help to you when you build. I was wondering what the best kind of timber would be for this purpose.
Keep safe out there and have a great day!
Phil

Little Eagle
01-27-2015, 04:52 PM
Good Morning!
I hope you can make it to the class and look forward to meeting you. Money is tight everywhere. Something always comes up like a dead car battery etc. Your experience working at a lumber yard should be of great help to you when you build. I was wondering what the best kind of timber would be for this purpose.
Keep safe out there and have a great day!
Phil

Hey Phil, Jason here. I am sure they will be telling us about different kinds that will be suitable for our cause, but from what i have seen log pole pine was what we dealt with much of the time when i was at the lumber yard. Very straight wood. But i am very new here so i am just going to guess that many other options will be available.

loghousenut
01-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Hey Phil, Jason here. I am sure they will be telling us about different kinds that will be suitable for our cause, but from what i have seen log pole pine was what we dealt with much of the time when i was at the lumber yard. Very straight wood. But i am very new here so i am just going to guess that many other options will be available.

Jason, you and Phil are in for a sweet surprise at class. This is one of the questions that has a definite, one sentence, answer. I heard it from Skip over 30 years ago and I can attest that he was 100% right about the perfect species, and size, of trees to use to build your log home.

loghousenut
01-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Don't waste your time trying to guess. You'll overlook the obvious just like I did. Relax and take notes at class.

rocklock
01-27-2015, 07:04 PM
LHN, I had no idea that you can be so cruel.

loghousenut
01-27-2015, 07:10 PM
LHN, I had no idea that you can be so cruel.

Bro Bo taught me everything he knew.

Little Eagle
01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Jason, you and Phil are in for a sweet surprise at class. This is one of the questions that has a definite, one sentence, answer. I heard it from Skip over 30 years ago and I can attest that he was 100% right about the perfect species, and size, of trees to use to build your log home.

rocklock you are very very right . . . . . so LHN your just throw that out there as a tease huh! :p I actually am looking at my money right now and when i see how much i make this week i may stash it back and get my seat and hope i make enough come tax return to make it back. The more i read about everyone time's building and experience the more excited i get! I want to go!

loghousenut
01-27-2015, 07:37 PM
I look forward to seeing photos of your logs.

stamic55
01-30-2015, 09:11 AM
I see that you are from Pennsylvania. I grew up outside of Philadelphia in Oreland, PA and Flourtown, PA.
Where did you take the train from to your class? Where are you in Pennsylvania?
Have a great day!
Phil

Hi phil,
I think we stayed at the Riviera and picked up the train at Westgate. Had to walk a little, but I'm young.
I'm currently living near KofP. I have not built yet. There's another member who has that lives closer to Reading. I'm sure he'd let you check it out if you ever get back up here.
- mike

ecorrick
02-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Hello, my name is Eric.
Well my wife and I (along with our 2 year old TWIN BOYS) just bought 19 acres here in Northeast Missouri. We have have researched a lot of the kit homes, and then I came across THIS site. Wow....glad I did! We cant make it to the May-15 class, so REALLY REALLY hoping another class is offered this year. We would like to get started next spring.
Does anyone have any advice on what we can do.....prior to taking the class?? Is there anyone in Northern Missouri that has went thru this LHBA class and then went on to build a home?
Thanks for the welcome,
Eric

eduncan911
02-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Hello, my name is Eric.
Well my wife and I (along with our 2 year old TWIN BOYS) just bought 19 acres here in Northeast Missouri. We have have researched a lot of the kit homes, and then I came across THIS site. Wow....glad I did! We cant make it to the May-15 class, so REALLY REALLY hoping another class is offered this year. We would like to get started next spring.
Does anyone have any advice on what we can do.....prior to taking the class?? Is there anyone in Northern Missouri that has went thru this LHBA class and then went on to build a home?
Thanks for the welcome,
Eric

Hey Eric! Eric here! (couldn't resist)

19 acres sounds about right. :) I myself come from 5-8+ years of "kit log home" research to this site and never looked back.

After taking the class, my only preparation I can suggest is - find a way to attend the very next class ASAP. If that means you have to work extra hours now, to "prep" for time off, then do it.

I, and others here, mention this because it "resets" everything. Your way of thinking, the way you build, the way you curate, everything. You may even pick a different build site on your land due to drainage and other tips you'll pick up. So if the build site may change, as for "prep work" to do in the meantime - there isn't much. I know my build sites changed drastically.

Little Eagle
02-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Welcome aboard Eric! And hello to the other Eric! :p I hope you can get to the very next class, i too was looking into a lot of log home kits, and found this site, i got a very warm welcome and cant wait to get to the class in may! So i wanted to give you the very same welcome!

loghousenut
02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks for giving Eric a warm LHBA welcome, Eric. You'll want to keep an eye on Eric, Eric. You two also have a lot in common, too. Can't wait to watch your log home go up, Eric... You too Eric, also.

You know, this is gonna get a bit confusing having so many Erics around here, Eric. Maybe you could both go by numbers or something. You could both be #1. It works fine in sports as long as you wear different colored trunks.

loghousenut
02-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Never mind... I just checked and #1 is taken.

eduncan911
02-04-2015, 03:10 AM
Duncan would work to keep LHN less confused. :)

wannabuild
02-04-2015, 04:10 AM
And what # would I be ?
Growing up my mother used to tell me I was a little...S..t Head at times..;)
How about Eric from BC

Wow, only 10 more days until class time...
And then, out of the dark and into the light

See ya all there.

donjuedo
02-04-2015, 04:18 AM
Ah, terms of endearment. LOL!

loghousenut
02-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Little S..t Head!!??? No kidding? What a small world indeed! My mother called me little S..t Head til I got to be bigger than Bo and then she started calling me loghousenut.

She still called Bo big S..t Head right up til he joined the Marines.

man_like_bull
02-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Hey everyone, signed up for the May class and really looking forward to it - excited to meet new people. Originally from Brazil but have been living in New York for a while, looking into purchasing land but seeing this as a long-term project...happy to help others and learn a lot until I can build my own log home! Cheers!

panderson03
02-19-2015, 05:38 PM
welcome to the family, Mr Bull

bikerdoc
02-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Hey Guys,
Brand new to the Forum - I just took the course in Las Vegas this past weekend.
I'm already gathering my equipment and I hope to begin getting my logs on the ground in a month or so.
I hope there are some members in SC or NC that I can network with.
Looking forward to exploring through the information here.

edkemper
02-19-2015, 08:45 PM
bikerdoc with an avatar of a 56 2door? You're gonna fit in here perfectly. Welcome to the family.

Mosseyme
02-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Bikerdoc,
Extreme SW NC for us. Where are you?

bikerdoc
02-20-2015, 06:01 AM
Outside Greenville, SC

Morganic farms
02-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Hello everybody!! Jason and Amy here. We're near Gatlinburg TN. We just took the class in Feb and cant wait to get started! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

Little Eagle
02-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Hello everybody!! Jason and Amy here. We're near Gatlinburg TN. We just took the class in Feb and cant wait to get started! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

Good luck on your build! I was living in oak ridge for awhile now i live in a semi lol!

lightningrods
02-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone, This is Dave and Tianna from this past February class which by the way we really enjoyed. We here in northern Illinois(for now) where there are very little useful trees to build with and we broke a 131 year old record today with a -9 on the old thermometer.

panderson03
03-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the family, Dave and Tianna!
been pretty chilly here in MN too lately. sort of getting used to the below-zero temps. they don't feel nearly as miserable lately as they used to :)

cajunmike
03-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Hi, my name is Mike, and I just took the class this February. I'm from South Louisiana, and am looking for land in the Arkansas Ozarks to build a retirement home. Hello to all and hope to meet some of you.

Mosseyme
03-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Welcome Mike, we just came through the ozarks 2 weeks ago just ahead of a lot of ice. Some beautiful country there. Sit back and have a good long read. Lots of good info and encouragement here.

edkemper
03-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Mike,

South Louisiana, do you have to have a current passport to get there? Just kidding. Welcome to our neighborhood.

phorvath
03-04-2015, 11:20 AM
I've been away from this site for a while. I'm having to foreclose on a land sale contract up in KY. I should have followed my gut instinct and never got into that deal. Thanks Rocklock for giving me your input. It sounds like a mobile home might be an option. I want to pursue my log cabin building dream in Montana if possible. I had hoped to attend the May 2015 class but that is still up in the air due to finances. Anyway, I still have the dream and intend to see it through when I retire.
Thanks again,
Phil:cool:

tetonpeak
04-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Hello All, My name is Dick and I just joined and signed up for the June 2015 class in Las Vegas. I live and work in Wyoming and have a property in the NW part of state. I'm looking forward to taking the class and learning the process. Since I joined last week I've dug in looking at as much as I can about the Skip Elsworth method and really like what I see about all that is taught. It seems to open a whole new world of log cabin/home building. It's nice to know there's another way that appears to be simpler, less expensive and more authentic than kits or high dollar and lengthy hands on schools. And doesn't settle, I'm really interested in understanding how that works with the gaps, even with the steel re-bar pin connections. Anyway I'm definitely interested and open minded about how this works after looking at a few former students projects. Take care!

loghousenut
04-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Dick, you are smack in the middle of log home country. Glad to have you aboard.

panderson03
04-06-2015, 05:54 AM
welcome Dick!
glad you found us:)

anarchyhunter80
04-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone. New to the forum, and this is my first post. My name is Nathan, I am 35. I live in Allegan, Michigan. My wife Christina and I just purchased 57 acres in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in Rapid River. We will eventually be taking the class however, are not ready yet to take that jump. We have quite a bit of land prep we need to take care of first. Looking forward to the journey.

rreidnauer
04-12-2015, 06:54 AM
Hey everyone. New to the forum, and this is my first post. My name is Nathan, I am 35. I live in Allegan, Michigan. My wife Christina and I just purchased 57 acres in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in Rapid River. We will eventually be taking the class however, are not ready yet to take that jump. We have quite a bit of land prep we need to take care of first. Looking forward to the journey.

Oh no. Another Canuck who's gonna tell us how wonderful cold and snow is.

Just kidding y'all. You will have some neighbors from this forum. You should take the class asap. Really, much of the intent of the class is to prepare you to build, as it is to show you how to build. I didn't turn a shovel of dirt until three years after taking the class, and didn't begin building the house for another five. I was preparing, financially and logistically by what I learned in class.

pibroch
04-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Hello from Alberta Canada, took the course in Feb. 2015, will start building in 2016 I hope. Still trying to get on the member forums.

loghousenut
04-13-2015, 05:46 PM
You know, the inspector won't issue a Certificate of Occupancy unless you can prove you were on the members side of the forum. Best not cut any corners.

allen84
04-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Here's the second picture. The guys got all 4 of the first row set yesterday. Today they have set 2 of the next course. They're telling me this is harder. Not sure why.

Background iformation. We are in Cottontown Tn just north of Nashville. We went to the class in March. We're on the top of a big hill on 13 acres. We love it. We're actually living in a camper just next to the build site.

We bought the 40 x 40 house plan with a basement. We are finishing the basement for my in laws to live in. Counting the basement it will have 3 levels.

We have rented a Tele handler for one month. We're hoping to be able to take it back early. Today is the 2nd day of stacking logs. There will be approximately 11 courses.

The logs are poplar. They average about 16 inches in diameter.

What thread on the members side should I post on? And thanks for all the response.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/3a092894087cd70c4510693e5c79e019.jpg

Just stumbled upon this... Ya'll are right down the road from me! I live in Hendersonville.

wog4c1
04-17-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm thinking of taking the course and learn about it

panderson03
04-17-2015, 10:41 AM
welcome WOG:) glad you found us. by the way, how did you find us? I found LHBA while researching kit homes on the internet. I quickly found I could not afford one. LOL!!
now we're on our way to having a beautiful place to retire in (that's debt free!!) what a dream come true!! a lot of work, but a dream come true!

:)again, welcome. glad you're here

loghousenut
04-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Don't do it Wog!

Next thing you know you'll be as weird as the rest of us!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020655_zpssyk0js83.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020655_zpssyk0js83.jpg.html)

panderson03
04-17-2015, 10:52 AM
NO ONE is as weird as Mr Nut :)

loghousenut
04-17-2015, 11:11 AM
For the record, that is Mrs. Nut in the photo.... I know you won't believe it but she was stone sober.

custom mike
04-17-2015, 12:25 PM
hello all. just getting started after an accident. we are going to start our first structure and would like to find out if anyone could tell me what the average cost per foot is on a home. we will start building for profit real soon. thanks. custom mike

Dr.Robert
04-26-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm Robert, from Denver, Colorado. I've been on the LHBA mailing list for 4 years and I'm finally taking the class in Vegas over Memorial Day weekend 2015. Looking forward to learning all you have to teach.

Mosseyme
04-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Welcome Dr Robert.
Enjoy the class and we will look for you on the dark side. Lots of deep stuff over there. If you think LHN is weird over here just wait.

mr.Splinters
05-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Hey there, LoggerHeads! This is Dan from up in the Pacific NW joining in.
I'm close to finalizing the deal on my mortage-free acre of heaven and am looking forward to learning the techniques about getting logs to lie down and behave! Check out the untrained timber at the end of my fairway!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-arjHv5EYSLc/VTwyp6zTR7I/AAAAAAAAOcE/pma2nzXXknQ/w800/20150425_133644.JPG

I'm as green as those Rhodie leaves when it comes to this, but learning is one way to get the brain cells revived! Or at least find a good excuse for a drink after you've soaked up all that brain building you can cram in!
First fun will be chatting with the local Development Bureaucrats about my idea of a good time. At least I'm not in any city, so I won't have them to worry about.
Going to try to talk my buddy into a weekend of fun in Vegas , maybe next month! He'll do just about anything to get to fly his old Bonanza somewhere. I know he's always admired all the photos of great log homes I've shown him thru the years.

Here's a shack that someone in my new neighborhood put together awhile ago. Love that porch!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pccuPGXnou4/VUgu18FgLEI/AAAAAAAAOiA/twzbtqd7taI/w800/SAM_0084.JPG
My folks used to have a old Victorian that had a porch that encircled the house with turned wood stiles and carved rails.
I'm looking for something like this for my place. I'd sure put a steel roof on there, though!

After I get a place to keep a fire going, I'll have to get to work on a place to store my rusty old jalopies!
Yeah, an old log garage will do nicely!

panderson03
05-05-2015, 06:18 AM
welcome aboard Mr. Splinter :) glad you're here!
LOVE the look of those logs on the end of your fairway.

(and I love that wrap around porch too!!!)

scapula
05-06-2015, 10:57 AM
I'm Robert, from Denver, Colorado. I've been on the LHBA mailing list for 4 years and I'm finally taking the class in Vegas over Memorial Day weekend 2015. Looking forward to learning all you have to teach.

I was looking for someone from CO where we were planning to built a log house. I am also a doctor and I sign up for June 6-7 class. Where is your land located?

wog4c1
05-16-2015, 08:49 AM
thanks for the welcome

krazykanuck
05-16-2015, 12:20 PM
G'day everyone just signed up last week for the June class. I have been creeping around the site for several months now and have just bought a hundred acres up here in Northern Ontario.

krazykanuck
05-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Oops, oh ya sorry My name is Brian my wife Kim and I are going to build next year, we live in Milton Ontario, Canada which is a half an hour (depending on traffic) west of Toronto. the land we just purchased is just north of Parry Sound Ontario. The birthplace of the GREAT BOBBY ORR!!!.

panderson03
05-17-2015, 10:08 AM
welcome aboard Mr and Mrs Kanuck :) glad you found us!
congratulations on signing up for the class. a big step but you'll never regret it

100 acres sounds lovely :) we only have 4...

love that Bobby Orr:)

loghousenut
05-17-2015, 10:21 AM
I always thought Bobby Orr was borned in Oregon. Figured it was a nickname.

Welcome aboard.

eduncan911
05-19-2015, 03:58 PM
100 acres in Ontario? Wow. Care to sub divide 10 for me and the Mrs. retirement? :-)

That is awesome.

rreidnauer
05-20-2015, 02:14 AM
The price per acre when getting that far up there are pretty affordable. Winters would be too rough on me though.

eduncan911
05-20-2015, 03:53 AM
Summer house!

The Earth is only going to get warmer in the next 30 years.

scapula
05-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Summer house!

The Earth is only going to get warmer in the next 30 years.

Doesn't feel like it in Chicago. 48F and it's almost June lol :)

rreidnauer
05-21-2015, 08:48 AM
48F in Cumberland, MD too

Plumb Level
05-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Seems to be colder the further away you get from LHN....further away from all that hot air!

loghousenut
05-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Grants Pass, Oregon... Geographical center of global warming. Feel free to drop in any time in June between the 5th and the 14th and be among the chosen few to experience it in person before it becomes really popular.

loghousenut
05-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Once we perfect it we'll ship out the beta version to the rest of the Country.

loghousenut
05-21-2015, 02:49 PM
It'll be free, with an upgrade available if you want to skip the ads

Dr.Robert
05-26-2015, 08:31 AM
I was waiting until AFTER taking the class to buy any land as I figured they would offer some tips on what to look for and I was right. You will enjoy the class for sure. Stay in touch. -Dr Robert-

scapula
05-26-2015, 12:04 PM
I was waiting until AFTER taking the class to buy any land as I figured they would offer some tips on what to look for and I was right. You will enjoy the class for sure. Stay in touch. -Dr Robert-

Hi Dr Robert, I know, I'm already realizing my mistake. :( Oh well. Congratulation with taking the class! And yes, let's stay in touch! :)

timmo
05-28-2015, 03:28 AM
Hello all,

My name is Tim. I'm a retired Navy pilot, currently living overseas. I'm planning to buy some property this summer and get into the first LHBA class that I can, hoping to start building in about 2 years. My first residential project was the restoration of an historic double shotgun house in New Orleans in 1997-2000. After that project, I realized that it would be easier to build a house from scratch than to do what I did there, although it was worth it because I learned so much about construction.

This method of log home building seems almost too good to be true and I'm really excited about getting started in it.

Cheers

loghousenut
05-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Hello all,

My name is Tim. I'm a retired Navy pilot, currently living overseas. I'm planning to buy some property this summer and get into the first LHBA class that I can, hoping to start building in about 2 years. My first residential project was the restoration of an historic double shotgun house in New Orleans in 1997-2000. After that project, I realized that it would be easier to build a house from scratch than to do what I did there, although it was worth it because I learned so much about construction.

This method of log home building seems almost too good to be true and I'm really excited about getting started in it.

Cheers

It's too good to be true and you'll most likely love it. Kinda like a good rib steak. Welcome aboard, Tim.

wishiwasamish
05-31-2015, 06:57 AM
Hey everyone,
My name is Joel and I live in Northwest Arkansas. I stumbled onto the LHBA website about three years ago and went to the Memorial Day class last week. I have twelve acres of land with enough timber for a log home. I can't wait to get started!

loghousenut
05-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Welcome aboard wishiwasamish. We might be related somehow. I have a second cousin named Hamncheesesamich. I noticed the spelling difference but figure that probably happened at Ellis Island.

TimberTim
05-31-2015, 05:31 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Tim if you haven't figured that out already, lol. I live in Houston, TX and would be interested in finding other members in my region/state. The class was eye opening and worth the price. I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn now so I can minimize my errors when buying land and constructing my first home.

Mosseyme
05-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Welcome Tim, Is your head above water? Lots of prayers and concerns for Texas.

rckclmbr428
05-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Welcome Tim!

Flyinglog
05-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Hey All,
Just a quick intro. I attended the class this weekend (May 30-31) and am just starting the log journey. I technically live in Southeast Colorado, but in reality I live on the road. I own a small transportation company and travel All over the US and into Canada. Since I travel all over, I am looking at land for building sites all over the place.

Mosseyme
05-31-2015, 11:52 PM
Welcome Flying,
Since you travel all over you might get a chance to see a few of these in various stages of construction. That will give you a better perspective than a lot get before they start.

scapula
06-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Hey All,
Just a quick intro. I attended the class this weekend (May 30-31) and am just starting the log journey. I technically live in Southeast Colorado, but in reality I live on the road. I own a small transportation company and travel All over the US and into Canada. Since I travel all over, I am looking at land for building sites all over the place.

Hi Flying log, My son and I bought a land in Pagosa Springs, CO this year. I will attend class this coming weekend. We should keep in touch!

Flyinglog
06-01-2015, 08:01 AM
MosseyME Thanks, It Should Give Me A LOT Of Chances To Stop And See Many Different styles. Scapula, I live out on the Eastern Plains IN Lamar, but my daughter lives in Walsenburg. We should Def keep in touch. Good luck in the class, it's a lot of fun, but also a lot of info to absorb.

rckclmbr428
06-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Im outside of Roanoke VA if you ever get over this way flyinglog!

Flyinglog
06-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Yea i occasionally get down there... rckclimber...

Little Eagle
06-01-2015, 05:48 PM
I have been here a bit but just got back from class about 4pm today. Class was awesome enjoyed every second and got to meet some great people. Just waiting to hit the members side. Hope to see all of my classmates there.

Mosseyme
06-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Glad you made it finally, see you on the other side.

scapula
06-04-2015, 06:27 AM
MosseyME Thanks, It Should Give Me A LOT Of Chances To Stop And See Many Different styles. Scapula, I live out on the Eastern Plains IN Lamar, but my daughter lives in Walsenburg. We should Def keep in touch. Good luck in the class, it's a lot of fun, but also a lot of info to absorb.

Thank you! My flight is tomorrow night. Exciting!

Little Eagle
06-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Thank you! My flight is tomorrow night. Exciting!

Yes it was a awesome class! Take lots of notes and have some laughs!

Blondie
06-04-2015, 09:43 AM
You will never look at a tree the same way again.

Blondie

loghousenut
06-04-2015, 10:44 AM
You will never look at a tree the same way again.

Blondie
Or a telehandler.

spencersc
06-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Quick hello to everyone,

Just took the class last weekend with my better half. Great class, we really enjoyed it! We live in the Roanoke, VA area and are looking forward to this new adventure together. In the process of closing on some land and hoping we have enough good trees on site to cover what we need.

Little Eagle
06-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Quick hello to everyone,

Just took the class last weekend with my better half. Great class, we really enjoyed it! We live in the Roanoke, VA area and are looking forward to this new adventure together. In the process of closing on some land and hoping we have enough good trees on site to cover what we need.

Same class i was in! You would not happen to be the couple who was on the shuttle to the airport at 4:45 am are you?

Flyinglog
06-05-2015, 03:59 AM
Or a telehandler.
I already have a special relationship with Telehandler.... That sounds really bad, I know... lol

Poppy's Pinons
06-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Hi Steve- Cute little boy in your pic! My husband Rick and I attended "The" class May 30th and 31st. The class was spectacular-leaned a lot and quickly changed our original plan to build with a company out of Tennessee. The class gave me an understanding that we can definitely build our dream home together and end up with a quality product. Building a log home has been our dream for 20 years and now that we are older I didn't think we could do it ourselves. We will be creating our retirement home on 150 acres in southern Colorado. We are posted as Poppy's Pinons since our business in West Texas is Poppy's RV Repairs and the land we own in Colorado is heavily forested with amazingly tall old pinon pines although not useable for building. Looking forward to this new adventure and thank you both for sharing your knowledge.

Poppy's Pinons
06-05-2015, 10:05 AM
No we were on the shuttle at about 6:00 am. You have a head start with your own trees! Finding our trees in Colorado is the most challenging part to us. Good luck with your closing and I'm sure we will meet again in conversations as we progress through the fun and adventure ahead.

spencersc
06-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Same class i was in! You would not happen to be the couple who was on the shuttle to the airport at 4:45 am are you?

Yep, that was us :)

sdart
06-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Building a log home has been our dream for 20 years and now that we are older I didn't think we could do it ourselves. We will be creating our retirement home on 150 acres in southern Colorado.

There are a lot of us oldsters over on the members side-- if we can do it, so can you!

BoFuller
06-06-2015, 07:36 AM
There are a lot of us oldsters over on the members side-- if we can do it, so can you!

I don't know of many oldsters here. I'm 66 and don't fit into that category yet! 😄

FlightRN
06-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Hello Everyone! My name is Trae Bane, just took the class last weekend in Vegas... WOW... So much excellent information. My family and I are moving to Kalispell, MT this week and would love to connect with others. We are living in our 5th Wheel and looking for land. If anyone has any projects, at any stage of their process, and need or want help, we would love to try and help/learn with you. Good luck and hope to see some of you in the woods!

Blondie
06-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Did some Medivac stuff off the North slope into Anchorage and Seattle a while back.

Blondie

Little Eagle
06-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Hello Everyone! My name is Trae Bane, just took the class last weekend in Vegas... WOW... So much excellent information. My family and I are moving to Kalispell, MT this week and would love to connect with others. We are living in our 5th Wheel and looking for land. If anyone has any projects, at any stage of their process, and need or want help, we would love to try and help/learn with you. Good luck and hope to see some of you in the woods!

Hey flight welcome to the right side, were u in the may 30/31 class? how did you did get your class thing at the bottom of your post?

Log Al
06-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Rocky Mountain Timber Products handle a lot of logs . Good people ,got my timbers milled and t@G 2x's from them. They are supplying logs for Denver Airport entrance. Rocky Mountain Timber Products Del Norte CO

FlightRN
06-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Hey flight welcome to the right side, were u in the may 30/31 class? how did you did get your class thing at the bottom of your post?

You 'edit your signature' on your console. Just like you would on a smartphone. Hope this helps!

FlightRN
06-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Did some Medivac stuff off the North slope into Anchorage and Seattle a while back.

Blondie
Awesome! Who'd you fly for?

Little Eagle
06-07-2015, 04:51 PM
You 'edit your signature' on your console. Just like you would on a smartphone. Hope this helps!

Awesome thank you i think it worked!

Blondie
06-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Flight RN,

I am long in the tooth. I flew for Alaska Hospital in a red and white Lear Jet called the Spirit of Alaska. It was the height of the Pipe Line. Wild and Woolley. Stories for the telling around a winter fire. Lol

Blondie

FlightRN
06-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Flight RN,

I am long in the tooth. I flew for Alaska Hospital in a red and white Lear Jet called the Spirit of Alaska. It was the height of the Pipe Line. Wild and Woolley. Stories for the telling around a winter fire. Lol

Blondie

Sounds fantastic! Would love to hear those sometime! I flew for PHI AirMedical, in an A-Star, out of Columbia, CA. I'm one of the privileged few that got to fly in and out of Yosemite. It was amazing.

Blondie
06-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Oh, you are very bad. Lol I am sitting here reliving trips to the north slope through Anatuvic Pass. Artic trees grow up the south side but not on the north side. It is way too cold. Picked up a kid with a hemothorax secondary to kissing a swinging drill bit. Doc in the ER had never done a chest tube. I had just come out of a cardio thoracic unit....used the biggest Foley they had in CS. That is just the beginning. Lol Heck! I am sure you could tell tales as well! One of mine I found written up in the Readers Digest several years later.

Blondie

Blondie
06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Heck! I remember counting the drips on a liter of Morphine for a pt in acute asthma crisis. No pedi drip, no pumps....they had not been developed yet. The first SG line I saw was. Single lumen wound in a sterile dish of saline, used for multiple insertions. Later I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Gantz. Oh, Yes!

Blondie

FlightRN
06-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Heck! I remember counting the drips on a liter of Morphine for a pt in acute asthma crisis. No pedi drip, no pumps....they had not been developed yet. The first SG line I saw was. Single lumen wound in a sterile dish of saline, used for multiple insertions. Later I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Gantz. Oh, Yes!

Blondie

Wow... I don't have any quite that good... But one or two ;) Totally off topic but, I'm having difficulty getting my subscription notifications set up right. I havent gotten any email notifications regarding replies to threads and such. I have to keep checking the forum to see if there are responses. Any thoughts?

Blondie
06-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Go to: Contact Us and email Mike Wilder, wizard.

Blondie

loghousenut
06-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Oh yeah? Well I gave myself stitches once... SOBER!

John W
06-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Final exam: you have a bottle of vodka, a razor blade and a needle and thread. You have 30 minutes. Take out your appendix.

FlightRN
06-09-2015, 08:05 AM

Blondie

I tried but "email function has been disabled by the administrator..."

FlightRN
06-09-2015, 08:07 AM

Blondie

I tried but "email function has been disabled by the administrator..." I can get daily notifications but the 'instant' notification function seems to be inoperable at the moment. Thanks for the tip though.

FlightRN
06-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah? Well I gave myself stitches once... SOBER!

Strong work LHN! Not an easy thing to do... I myself have not had that occasion yet, nor am I looking forward to it.

Final exam: you have a bottle of vodka, a razor blade and a needle and thread. You have 30 minutes. Take out your appendix.

i have a few ideas in mind, but again, not looking forward to that kind of opportunity LOL!

Blondie
06-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Flight RN, then call the man. Nice guy.

John W,
It is all right. I am not offended. But you are a trifle silly.

Blondie

donjuedo
06-09-2015, 03:07 PM

Like this guy did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Rogozov

LTaylor
06-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Hello,

LTaylor here, currently in KS but moving to Northern CO in Aug. Buying land right now and plan to start building in the spring.

scapula
06-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Hello everyone, This is Dave and Tianna from this past February class which by the way we really enjoyed. We here in northern Illinois(for now) where there are very little useful trees to build with and we broke a 131 year old record today with a -9 on the old thermometer.

Hi Dave and Tianna, I live in Chicago and would be interested to help/watch/follow your progress. I'm June 6-7, 20015 class grad.

12th man
06-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Hey everone, I just went through the june 6-7 class and must say it was well worth every penny. Right now im in the research phase of the whole project, looking for the right land etc. Im in the Walla Walla Washington area and am curious if there is anyone building in the general area. I also go over to the west side of the state a lot, south of seattle. That is where I grew up. Would love to get some experience helping someone with their cabin when available.

Little Eagle
06-13-2015, 05:14 PM
welcome to the family 12th!

NC Logman
06-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Hello everyone, I just attended the class on June 6th & 7th 2015. Had a blast and stayed another week. I currently have 14 acres in North Carolina and 15 acres in Tennessee. I already have most of the tools I need and plenty of timber on both my properties. Just planning the time to start the process. Thanks for the good times and awesome instruction from a team of great guys. Looking forward to reading the posts here and learning more.

PaulBunyan
06-24-2015, 02:42 AM
Hi all,

33, jack of all trades. Looking at land now in Idaho where I grew up. Thinking of taking the Sept. class, but it's a long ways from Asia, where I'm currently at. Might be tricky, but I hope to be there as this place is driving me bonkers!

loghousenut
06-24-2015, 07:15 AM
Welcome Home L, NC, and 12.

Paul... Take the class but remember that Vegas is the Seoul of the West.

gh1959
06-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Hello, there, I just joined this group. I was looking to build a log home with my husband, which has been a dream of ours for the past 10 years. We've gone the kit route, to try to build a home and everything fell through. My husband passed away in November, and I still want to fulfill our dream. We have 2 acres in the East Mountains outside of Albuquerque, and I would really love to build our house. If I could get some help in fulfilling our dream, I would be so grateful. I don't know if I could afford the workshop, but I could try. I am now 60 and wondering how much I could do myself. THanks for listening, Judy.

donjuedo
06-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Welcome, Judy. Sorry to hear about your husband. It's good you still want to fulfill your dream.

I'd recommend reading the forums to find answers to your questions, and questions you didn't know you had. ;-)

You can do this.

Little Eagle
06-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Welcome Judy, very sorry to hear about your husband. Like don said you can do this. There is a lot of answers here on the forums, just have a look and if you need help you only need to ask im sure someone will help.

DanS
07-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Judy:

Sorry to hear about your husband's passing. That's got to be incredibly rough.

Where in the "East Mountains?" I grew up in the area, so the good news is you'll have year round weather for building. Yes, there's a couple days of snow, wind, lightning, rain or wind--but for the most part you can work comfortably outside any time of year.

If you keep it simple, you can definitely do it, or an awful lot of the work yourself. Logs are a lot like adobe, in that they will never be perfectly straight, plus, level or smooth--nor do they need to be.

You'll understand a lot better the concept of keeping the house plan simple if you take the class/workshop. It's not about building techniques, it's about a way to approach a house. If that makes any sense.

Dan

MarkNC
07-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Hello, I'm Mark from NC. Just registered for the September class with my wife Shawn.

loghousenut
07-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Hello, I'm Mark from NC. Just registered for the September class with my wife Shawn.

Smart move. Look forward to toying with you on the other side.

Little Eagle
07-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Welcome aboard Mark & Shawn, lots to see and hear and learn in the class im sure you will have fun!

blane
07-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Hi Mark, lots if NC folks here! Welcome aboard. There will be a South East meet and greet at my place in October. Hope you can make it.

MPeterson1020
07-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Blane, is that just for the South East? :)

MPeterson1020
07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Jamesp and I live in Northern Pennsylvania. Hoping to meet up with some members after the class in September. We are really looking forward to the class! Been waiting over a year to be able to attend one!

panderson03
07-09-2015, 11:58 AM
so glad you're attending class with your husband. things go way better when the 2 of you are coming from the same place:) welcome

Dango
07-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Live in Utah and attended the class over Memorial Day weekend with my father-in-law. Now we're looking at property in southern Idaho for our builds.

Drummerboy
07-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Hey everone, I just went through the june 6-7 class and must say it was well worth every penny. Right now im in the research phase of the whole project, looking for the right land etc. Im in the Walla Walla Washington area and am curious if there is anyone building in the general area. I also go over to the west side of the state a lot, south of seattle. That is where I grew up. Would love to get some experience helping someone with their cabin when available.
Welcome to the other side 12th man, we are in Spokane by way of Seattle. Own 10 acres outside of Spokane. Lots of info from Wa. Builders. We haven't started yet but you can glean a lot from so many builds on here.....

Drummerboy
07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Hello, there, I just joined this group. I was looking to build a log home with my husband, which has been a dream of ours for the past 10 years. We've gone the kit route, to try to build a home and everything fell through. My husband passed away in November, and I still want to fulfill our dream. We have 2 acres in the East Mountains outside of Albuquerque, and I would really love to build our house. If I could get some help in fulfilling our dream, I would be so grateful. I don't know if I could afford the workshop, but I could try. I am now 60 and wondering how much I could do myself. THanks for listening, Judy.

Judy, first my sympathies to you on the loss of your husband. Continue with your dream & with some help & manageable size you can make it happen. Rachel Bieber did..... Check out her blog. Use search engine with her name. You will find it inspiring & hopefully give you the push to believe in your own capabilities! You took the first step by finding us on LHBA

rckclmbr428
07-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Judy, anything is possible with hard work and enough determination!

ButteredBiscuit
07-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Greetings to all. I'm Paul from Mississippi. I just signed up for the September class. Looking forward to a wonderful adventure that ends up with my retirement home.

loghousenut
07-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Glad to have you on board, Paul. On the member's side you'll get to see a video of your old friend. Poppin' Fresh.

Little Eagle
07-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Rofl ok i could not NOT laugh at that LHN. Welcome Paul i hope you enjoy your class!

ButteredBiscuit
07-24-2015, 03:23 PM
LHN, Not sure about Poppin' Fresh, especially coming from you...but I am taking the plunge. Only a little more than a month to class time. I can't wait. So, I will be reading old posts tonight.

Nicolas
07-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Hi Everybody!

I'm Nicolas, living and working in Winnipeg, MB, Canada.
I've got with my wife a real dream about building our wood house, and I think I finally found a way to do it (that I can afford at least) here!

I wonder, do the association is active in Canada also?

I will probably see some of you in september for the trainning!

StressMan79
07-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Hi Everybody!

I've got with my wife a real dream about building our wood house, and I think I finally found a way to do it (that I can afford at least) here!

I know there is at least one active canuck. You might stray from teaching a bit...maybe an Alaskan entryway.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

Little Eagle
07-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi Everybody!

Welcome to the family!

panderson03
07-25-2015, 12:15 PM
welcome Nicolas and wife:) we do have LHBA-ers in Canada:)
glad you found us!

Nicolas
07-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks for warm welcome!
I am looking forward to be volonteer in projects after the courses in september, to help first and train myslef :)

panderson03
07-26-2015, 06:48 AM
:) its just under 5 hour's drive from Winnipeg,MB to our build in Minnesota, USA down I-29, if you're up for a road trip:)

misplayed-hand
09-09-2015, 11:43 PM
I attended the Sept. 5th class and am looking forward to learning more once admitted into the inner sanctum. I am a white collar employee who has already downshifted once and has an eye out for the next exit. As a beneficiary of part of the family farm I have always dreamed of returning to my ancestral home in Tennessee (even though I am a Yankee). Since 20 acres was planted in southern yellow pine many years ago, I had always thought a log cabin was a natural. After class I'm a little more uncertain. As an introvert I must admit I felt right at home with the other members in class and look forward to following their journeys.

panderson03
09-10-2015, 06:35 AM
welcome to the family, MisPlayedHand:)

loghousenut
09-10-2015, 07:29 AM
Seems to be more and more single females taking the class. Welcome Miss Playedhand.

panderson03
09-10-2015, 07:31 AM
LHN is a nut :)

rreidnauer
09-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Ms. Hand, might I ask what has brought about the uncertainty you are feeling?

loghousenut
09-10-2015, 08:46 AM
If I read it right, she is more uncertain about putting up a log cabin on the old family acreage, meaning that the LHBA class has wiped away any doubts that she had for all those long years and now she realizes that it should be a full blown log house, built with her own two hands.

I am saddened by the way that she insinuated that the other people in her class was a bunch of introverts.

Prissy Pink
09-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the family Misplayedhand. My husband and I are building a LHBA house in Cottontown, Tn. You would be welcome to come vist. We are in the chinking and porch building stage.

ButteredBiscuit
09-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Greetings to everyone. I'm Paul and my wife is Kathy. I took the September 5th class, but Kathy stayed home with the kids. We live in North Mississippi, but we have family in Middle and East Tennessee. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more about what I am getting us into. Our first home was a kit built log cabin and I know first hand of many of the problems that were discussed in the class. Now I am ready to see the correct way to build a cabin.

misplayed-hand
09-10-2015, 11:57 PM
First off my thanks for the warm welcome and invitation.

Second my apology if my chosen handle implied a different gender than I am. Just so you're clear: I am a heterosexual MALE with all my original parts (and no extra bits) and I intend on staying this way (unlike some you read about in the “news”).

Third how does one go about changing one's name?
-misplayed hand

loghousenut
09-11-2015, 12:33 AM
First off my thanks for the warm welcome and invitation.

Second my apology if my chosen handle implied a different gender than I am. Just so you're clear: I am a heterosexual MALE with all my original parts (and no extra bits) and I intend on staying this way (unlike some you read about in the “news”).

Third how does one go about changing one's name?
-misplayed hand

Well, I am truly sorry ma'am... Ooops, there I go again. This will be hard for some of us to get used to and nobody is more surprised than I am. Glad to hear you have all those parts and all but I'm thinking it might be easier to change your gender than to change your forum name. I think it is approved under our new health care law, but I have heard that it takes an act of Congress to change a forum handle.

And just to make things clearer, I am also a successfully heterosexual male and, though I have injured a part or two, I am mostly intact at this time.

If you decide to keep that provocatively deceptive forum name, and also decide to keep all those original male parts, I'd do my level best to think of you in a masculine way.

Kinduva shame though. Every new female member attracts a dozen male members. It's a lot like ladies night down at the Eagles Lodge.

PS... Welcome home Mr. Playedhand... Hey, that does have a certain ring to it, don't it?!!

panderson03
09-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Mr Nut is a nut :)

welcome Mr and Mrs butteredbiscuit:)

Steve
09-11-2015, 05:10 PM
how does one go about changing one's name?

To change your username, send an email to info@buildloghomes.org with the new name you want to use. Someone will make the change and email you back when it is done.

rreidnauer
09-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Cool! I'm gonna have mine changed to loghousenut.

loghousenut
09-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Cool! I'm gonna have mine changed to loghousenut.
Already been done to death.

misplayed-hand
09-13-2015, 10:44 PM
...what has brought about the uncertainty you are feeling?

When you only know a little, things always seem simple. Once you've been a round a bit you tend to move at a more measured pace.

Yogip
09-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Good Day everyone,

I also recently took the course on 05/06 September, 2015. My Name is Jorgen Ponsioen, but people call me Yogi. I will start building in the spring in the beautiful Yukon, Northern Canada. My background is Firefighter and commercial diver, so basically a jack-of-all trades. Found some good logs already to use, but moving them poses my first challenge. I see they have log arches for ATV/UTV's. My biggest challenges are remote location from anywhere, everything from the concrete up cost $$$.

Blondie
09-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Mr Hand, how big are your southern yellow pine now? Are the big enough to build with?

There are lots of us here who don't grab the spot light every time they communicate. We are here and we will help.

Blondie

Prissy Pink
09-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Greetings to everyone. I'm Paul and my wife is Kathy. I took the September 5th class, but Kathy stayed home with the kids. We live in North Mississippi, but we have family in Middle and East Tennessee. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more about what I am getting us into. Our first home was a kit built log cabin and I know first hand of many of the problems that were discussed in the class. Now I am ready to see the correct way to build a cabin.
Hi Paul and Kathy. We had a kit home too. We're loving the LHBA way of building. We took the class spring of 2014. Now our house is dried in. We're in Cottontown, Tn.
Welcome to the forum.

Prissy Pink
09-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Welcome Yogip. Sounds like an awesome place to build but very cold. We're building in Tennessee. We're loving it. Nothing remote here. We took the course last year. Welcome to the forum.

misplayed-hand
09-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Mr Hand, how big are your southern yellow pine now? Are the big enough to build with?

There are lots of us here who don't grab the spot light every time they communicate. We are here and we will help.

Blondie
There are some that might be serviceable, others that have struggled - kind of like people I guess. I was kind of stoked when I learned about the diameter tape measure in class. Either way its probably a moot point for another 10 years. My CCP subsidy expires this fall which was the trigger that prompted me register for the class. After registering and subsequently attending class, my farm service agent contacted me about another program that I have applied for. I completed the paperwork but haven't heard yet whether I was awarded the contract. I reckon I'll be poking around looking for logs like everyone else. Here's a couple pictures I took last Spring.

Sequimite
09-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Hello. We were log home dreamers for years. We moved to Sequim, WA in 2008 into a chalet style log home on 2+ acres atop a 500 foot hill. I've been looking for a forum to gain info on proper maintenance.

Our log home was built by a local mill/builder, Yada Log Homes in 1999. Other than the walk out basement the entire outside structure is 8" square (7 1/2" actually) cedar.

https://scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/399881_2817334484969_241155764_n.jpg?oh=0837107c16 6541289b034db2d8d64d5a&oe=569EA0C8

panderson03
09-15-2015, 04:39 PM
beautiful!!

Teresa
09-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Hi, I'm Teresa. I took the course Sep. 5&6/15 as well. Lots of information, learned lots. I have some trades experience but haven't utilized that much of it for years. Yogip and I already started working on our first scale model, including the Z door, having fun with it. I say first because I am sure we will make a few changes yet! It's an easier way to try out ideas haha
Love life in the Yukon. At the cabin last night we had elk swimming and bugling offshore while we ate our supper around the fire. Fantastic night.

Prissy Pink
09-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Sounds awesome.

panderson03
09-17-2015, 05:43 AM
welcome to the Family, Teresa:)
would LOVE to live in the Yukon. beautiful place to have a cabin.how long is your building season there?

ButteredBiscuit
09-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Hi Paul and Kathy. We had a kit home too. We're loving the LHBA way of building. We took the class spring of 2014. Now our house is dried in. We're in Cottontown, Tn.
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you. Glad to be here.

Flatline
09-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Hello all

We live in the north of England, a place called Leeds

We are thinking seriously of selling our house and buying some land and building a log cabin

I have my own building and maintenance company so looking forward to the challange

The log cabin market in the UK is not very mature, the only info I can find is for kits, which doesn't seem to be the way forward

I fancy buying the logs and doing it myself

Unfortunately I am unable to attend any of your courses, so I cant use the information in the members area. shame

However I hope to learn plenty from you knowledgeable folk in the good old US of A

First thing to do is find some land, which is not easy here, most if not all of your States are bigger than England!!! which is about 424 miles long and 209 miles wide

I will also need to find out where I can buy the logs etc

Speak to you soon

Regards

Phil and Sarah and the kids

rreidnauer
09-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Yea, gives clear meaning to "limited resource". Heck, some days, my job has me driving further than both the length and width of England combined! Still, I'm always amazed there are rolling, open fields over there.

My vote is for Port Isaac, Cornwall, for reasons I imagine you can guess.

By the way, there are members in Canada, Japan, and a few other countries, so don't rule them out. ;-)

Prissy Pink
09-18-2015, 02:05 PM
We could use some grand old British folks in the association. My husband and I are in the middle of our build near Nashville, Tn. You guys really should give it a try. Wish you could go to the class. So much to learn and it would probably end up saving you lots of money.

Prissy Pink
09-18-2015, 03:20 PM
9 ii. Bring nn9 9 0 po g

allen84
09-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Hello all

We live in the north of England, a place called Leeds

We are thinking seriously of selling our house and buying some land and building a log cabin

I have my own building and maintenance company so looking forward to the challange

The log cabin market in the UK is not very mature, the only info I can find is for kits, which doesn't seem to be the way forward

I fancy buying the logs and doing it myself

Unfortunately I am unable to attend any of your courses, so I cant use the information in the members area. shame

However I hope to learn plenty from you knowledgeable folk in the good old US of A

First thing to do is find some land, which is not easy here, most if not all of your States are bigger than England!!! which is about 424 miles long and 209 miles wide

I will also need to find out where I can buy the logs etc

Speak to you soon

Regards

Phil and Sarah and the kids

Jump across the pond :)

Yogip
09-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Welcome Yogip. Sounds like an awesome place to build but very cold. We're building in Tennessee. We're loving it. Nothing remote here. We took the course last year. Welcome to the forum.

not really that cold at all most of the year, thank you it is a really awesome place to build, as Teresa mentioned in her post, we were out at the property the other night and there was a small herd of elk standing in the water bugling. Hardest part is still trying to find larger diameter logs then 14"

Yogip
09-19-2015, 02:27 PM
welcome to the Family, Teresa:)
would LOVE to live in the Yukon. beautiful place to have a cabin.how long is your building season there?

We are able to start prep work in April, but won't be able to pour footings until May, after that we are able to build till end of October easy Also remember that most of the summer we have 24 hours of daylight, so no problems working until midnight. Pretty excited for the coming year :-)

Flatline
09-23-2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks to all that for the kind welcome

Yogip
09-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Thanks Prissy, looking forward to telling our story as we build a dream estate on a pristine lake, how are the trees in Tennessee?

Prissy Pink
10-01-2015, 05:10 AM
We've got great poplar trees. Some of ours are 24 inches in diameter. We got them from a logger close by. Our cabin is 40x40.

Blondie
10-01-2015, 07:16 AM
Yogip,

Sincerely, you truly need to come and take that class and here is why. You are probably very well educated in the current method of foundation, however, if you do no follow the correct method of foundation and log support ,the logs will crush the first floor and compress to ruin the remainder of the building. I hate to be the one waving the red flag but it just must be done. Do not build a log home using current foundation support methods! Take the class!

Blondie

LowKey
10-02-2015, 04:42 AM
Hello all.
I'm signed up for the February class in Las Vegas; my flight is booked, hotel room in Harrah's already paid for, and my vacation approved, and I'm looking forward to attending and moving over into the members side of the site. No need for the, “Take the Class” mantra. I'm taking it, without doubt.

A few years back I purchased 3.3 acres of land in S.E. Alaska from the state.
Lot's of “No's” there that I like.
No roads, no utilities, no taxes, no close neighbors, no building permits, no zoning regulations, no building inspections. :D

Some other very nice upsides; I have a little over 450ft of saltwater shoreline on the fjord, two small streams one of which may be suitable for microhydro (depending on how it's flow varies over a year).

Downsides are that I'll need to bring everything in by boat from a public dock about 3 miles away (not so bad, really), and that prices for anything are going to be higher due to shipping costs.
That and the fact that I'll only be able to work on the place one a year for about 30 days at a shot as I work overseas. Each time I travel to the property it will be nearly 36 hours of travel time one way.

Currently my rough plans are:

February 2016- Attend the Class in Las Vegas
Summer 2016- Fly up to the property to clear the building site, pour the piers for my foundation,
maybe install a water tank on the property, and possibly cut down some trees for
the house.
Summer 2017- Stack the walls and get a roof on the structure.

I have issues I'll need to overcome:
Limited time on site each year.
Inability to get any heavy equipment on site.
The site is moderately sloped, so the downhill side of the home is going to be well off the ground.
No place to store tools or materials until I build it.
No way to gradually collect tools and materials (I'm overseas 11 months of the year). I'll have to time the arrival of ordered tools and materials to coincide with my arrival.

So while this isn't going to be a cake walk, for us it's doable and my wife is fully behind this. She was raised in a home with outdoor plumbing, cooking over a wood fire, and either growing or gathering 90% of their food. A log home in the woods is just her cup of tea.

panderson03
10-02-2015, 06:04 AM
welcome, LowKey.
sounds like you have a plan!
how big were you thinking of building?
Alaska's a beautiful place for a log cabin!!

loghousenut
10-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Hello all.
I'm signed up for the February class in Las Vegas; my flight is booked, hotel room in Harrah's already paid for, and my vacation approved, and I'm looking forward to attending and moving over into the members side of the site. No need for the, “Take the Class” mantra. I'm taking it, without doubt.

A few years back I purchased 3.3 acres of land in S.E. Alaska from the state.
Lot's of “No's” there that I like.
No roads, no utilities, no taxes, no close neighbors, no building permits, no zoning regulations, no building inspections. :D

Some other very nice upsides; I have a little over 450ft of saltwater shoreline on the fjord, two small streams one of which may be suitable for microhydro (depending on how it's flow varies over a year).

Downsides are that I'll need to bring everything in by boat from a public dock about 3 miles away (not so bad, really), and that prices for anything are going to be higher due to shipping costs.
That and the fact that I'll only be able to work on the place one a year for about 30 days at a shot as I work overseas. Each time I travel to the property it will be nearly 36 hours of travel time one way.

Currently my rough plans are:

February 2016- Attend the Class in Las Vegas
Summer 2016- Fly up to the property to clear the building site, pour the piers for my foundation,
maybe install a water tank on the property, and possibly cut down some trees for
the house.
Summer 2017- Stack the walls and get a roof on the structure.

I have issues I'll need to overcome:
Limited time on site each year.
Inability to get any heavy equipment on site.
The site is moderately sloped, so the downhill side of the home is going to be well off the ground.
No place to store tools or materials until I build it.
No way to gradually collect tools and materials (I'm overseas 11 months of the year). I'll have to time the arrival of ordered tools and materials to coincide with my arrival.

So while this isn't going to be a cake walk, for us it's doable and my wife is fully behind this. She was raised in a home with outdoor plumbing, cooking over a wood fire, and either growing or gathering 90% of their food. A log home in the woods is just her cup of tea.

So, what's the problem?

LowKey
10-02-2015, 08:15 AM
welcome, LowKey.
sounds like you have a plan!
how big were you thinking of building?
Alaska's a beautiful place for a log cabin!!

Yes, it is.;)

I know the mantra here also includes the sage wisdom, "Build as small as you can afford", and I think I'll be complying with the spirit of that bit of advice even if I vary a bit from the letter of it. Presently I'm thinking of building, over time, three structures (one per year, maybe) that I can connect after the fact with enclosed walkways. So it may end up in the 3000 sqft range 4-6 years down the road when they're all done and tied together, but the first year I actually start to build something that falls between 600-1200 sqft. I'm already thinking square structures vs rectangular or other shapes. With the slope on the property (not to mention the over abundance of unusually large ,compared to lower 48 sized> black bears) I think I'm going to keep the uphill side of the house at least 8 ft above the slope (I want a wrap around deck with very wide roof overhangs).

So, small to start...yet large-ish later on down the road..

LowKey
10-02-2015, 08:28 AM
So, what's the problem?

Uncertainty about when to prep the logs, amongst other things.
We get around 140 inches of rain a year, and humidity is just a bit high as you might imagine. I've talked to locals, who say that as long as I keep the logs off the ground that there shouldn't be any issue with rot, but I'm not sure if I should peel them first (should be easier, and all other things being equal what I'm inclined to do) or to leave the bark on to protect the log from mold, ect. Obviously I won't be there to turn them over the year they sit.
If I could/can swing it, I'd build a bare bones shed to keep the rain off of them, peel them, and let them air dry for a year*, but I'm worries that they would warp over that year without being rotated periodically.

The trees will be felled in the summer. It's the period of the year with the least rain, and I'd like to avoid working way out in the woods during the short winter days, in a freezing downpour if I can. :cool:

I know some of this stuff will get covered in class, and some of this might be better planned after class, but given the travel/time constraints I need to have my ducks in a row as much as possible well before hand.

*That way I start the build with a pile of logs to stack, not a pile of logs to peel and then stack.

panderson03
10-02-2015, 09:10 AM
lowkey, logs require very little prep. with our way of building it is preferred to fell the trees when the sap is down but it is not required. after felling, peal them. after pealing, spray with preservative. be sure to have your logs on log racks. if your logs are racked for a year they would definitely have the potential to warp. might consider a team of guys for your 30 days to cut and stack the logs in 1 30 day period of time? took us 9 days to stack our cabin's log walls:)

edkemper
10-04-2015, 11:06 AM
If your logs sit off the ground on sacrificial logs only at each end, there will likely be problems with sag. However, if you used 4 or more sacrificial logs spaced evenly, far less likely to have a created log warping problem. Just one idea to help.

Mosseyme
10-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Lowkey,
Our logs were on racks from 2 to 4 years because we did our own logging and it took a long time.
We had almost no warping of logs and if you are talking 2' logs and rack them as Ed said I don't see how they would do much warping.
Of course we were using Hemlock and there are no straight hemlocks anywhere in the east so I guess warping is relative like anything else.
And there are ways to use warped logs if you have a couple. Also if you put your racks up on short logs to get them further off the ground it helps with the vegetation growth up between them while they wait. Vegetation is one of the worst things on your logs especially in wet climates.

loghousenut
10-06-2015, 07:19 PM
If your logs are anywhere near as crooked as mine, you will rack them with the crown up and pretend to yourself that they are getting straighter with every week in the sun.

Tex
11-12-2015, 01:31 PM
New guy

Just found this today and super excited to learn and join the community

First and very important question- when yall say total cost or built for $xx,xxx

Are we talking turn key with plumbing, wiring, heat/AC etc?? I'm think cant be but have to ask

donjuedo
11-12-2015, 02:54 PM
You're going to get a few numbers, and they do vary. Some include land, some do not. Some have upgraded kitchens, some do not. And so on.

Big factors include DIY vs. hiring pro's, using logs from your own land vs. buying an trucking, and how big the finished home is. Others will chime in soon, but please do not get frustrated looking for a single number. That's too hard.

And welcome!

Peter

allen84
11-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Tex, I think 100 people would give 100 different answers to that cost question. I have 4 young kids and a wife that grew up in the suburbs. I figure I should be prepared to add at least one zero to what would be good enough for me. I'd love to be a younger, single, with no kids, LHBA member but then I'd probably end up being that crazy guy that lives alone in the woods... I guess that last part could still be in my future :D

rreidnauer
11-13-2015, 02:30 AM
LHBA member but then I'd probably end up being that crazy guy that lives alone in the woods...
Hey!

:-)

Tex
11-13-2015, 05:45 AM
Thanks - I understand about land cost and home "options" fancy high dollar stuff. I was just talking about the house as a whole as in move in livable turn key for $60K as example plus cost of land and extras. I have no doubt I can do the work as I am very mechanical in nature.

John W
11-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Welcome, Tex. I'm in San Antonio, are you in Texas?

dvb
11-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Thanks - I understand about land cost and home "options" fancy high dollar stuff. I was just talking about the house as a whole as in move in livable turn key for $60K as example plus cost of land and extras. I have no doubt I can do the work as I am very mechanical in nature.

Just remember the old adage, "You can do it fast, cheap or good, just pick two." If you build fast and cheap, you will lose quality, if you build cheap and good, it won't be fast and if you build fast and good, it won't be cheap.

We chose cheap and good and had a great 10 years getting it done!!

Tex
11-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Im in the Austin area

StressMan79
11-13-2015, 02:52 PM

Mine would have been about that, except I hired a hand. Add $15000. 24x24.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

Bgreene
11-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and am excited to learn about building with logs. My husband and I have been living on our land in north central Washington for about 4 years in a smaller park model trailer and are about ready to build a house that is NOT pre-made out of plastic. The wild fires swept through our land this summer (right after we had paid it off) and as a result, we have some of our own standing fire dead ponderosa pines that must be cut soon and we figure there are about a quarter of a million acres of the same sort of timber in our county, that may be for sale.
What do you all think of building with fire killed logs, if the inner log is okay? Or are there hidden aspects of this that need to be evaluated?
Thanks for any advice.

loghousenut
11-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Those Pines are worth next to nothing... Unless you turn them into a log home.

We are building ours with Ponderosa Pine. Fire killed would have only made them better. Don't sit around thinking about it too long or you will find yourself stuck with a bunch of punky firewood and buying house logs. You are at the right place here.

PS... What diameters are those logs?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1030192_zpsqcoq39d5.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1030192_zpsqcoq39d5.jpg.html)

rocklock
11-19-2015, 03:54 PM
when yall say total cost or built for $xx,xxx

I have seen this question asked for the last 10 years. I have several clues...
If you are a minimalist then my best guess will be about 5 to 6 times the cost of your logs.
If your wife requires almost any thing (like a walk in tub) that will drive the costs up... maybe as much as 10 to 15 times as the cost of your logs...
If you take more than two years costs will go down. If you need to build it in less that one year it maybe impossible but certainly will increase the cost.
If you take more than 6 years cost will go up because stuff will change.
If you plan almost everything, use association plans, stick to the plan, have your wife agree with the plan, construct more than one model, have wood heat, simple kitchen and bath, and finish in less than two years, then you will be amazing... and will have the smallest possible cost.

allen84
11-19-2015, 06:53 PM
If your wife requires almost any thing (like a walk in tub) that will drive the costs up... maybe as much as 10 to 15 times as the cost of your logs...

I'm thinking if you're married, especially with kids, this probably is a fact at minimum. I would NOT consider my wife high maintenance at all and she's a cheapskate compared to me but I also know her expectations...which don't quite add up right, but you get the idea I'm sure. I have about 900sq.ft. of storage that's almost over half filled of cheap or free finishings that suit the budget and her critiques. I've also been fortunate and waited quite a while for the right stuff.

outdoorcountryboy
11-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Hi evryone. Im another newby to the list. My name is Philip (outdoorcountryboy). I hope to learn a lot here, because Im tired of the hipe from all the log kit companies. Im gona build my log house myself one way or another. I think this is where I should have started. Look forward to meeting new people and getting some education.

outdoorcountryboy
11-21-2015, 08:10 AM
p.s. Im also new to posting on a forum. not sure I know what Im doing but please bare with me, Im a quick learner. any direct personal emails to help me will diffenantly be

outdoorcountryboy
11-21-2015, 08:12 AM
appreciated. outdoorcountryboy@gmail.com

loghousenut
11-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Welcome aboard newbie Philip. Here on the public side you might wanna not show your email. The spambots will have their way with you. If any of the members want to get ahold of you privately they can post a personal message though the forum.

If you are really done with every kit house peddler telling you how all the others do it wrong and only they have the true secret, then read on and see if you agree with me that LHBA has the real secret and everyone else has it all wrong.

Well maybe they are not ALL wrong, but if you want to build your own log home with your own hands, stick around. LHBA can get you going down a track that that leads toward success. You can be as lazy and dumb as I am and still figure out how to build a solid home that your Grandkids can leave to their heirs.

PS.... We are doing it without a mortgage. Try that with a kit house.

RobandJamey
11-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Tried to use the "reply to thread" but it didn't work. My husband took the class in March of 2014 and we have been scouring the members forum ever since. We are finally ready to start posting but unsure how.

rocklock
11-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Im gona build my log house myself one way or another. I think this is where I should have started. Look forward to meeting new people and getting some education.

Philip you are exactly the kind of person that this forum is meant to attract. You have a lot of reading to do and I would sign up for the Feb class ASAP.

But first you need to understand one thing. Our method of building is for those that are unskilled. I have built my log home and you can see the pictures and several videos below. If I had to cut a notch even now, I would be in big trouble. I can measure, drill a hole in a log and beat the cr@p out of a re-bar to secure the log.... I am not finished with my log home but I have enjoyed the experience.

If you look back at page one of the topic, I asked a question about how to clear my land... That was over 10 years ago... Hard to believe, but I am still having fun and the wife still is changing stuff...

Not to drive anyone crazy, but I only work on my log home about 3 or 4 months a year...

outdoorcountryboy
11-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Hi loghouse nut and rocklock. Im all signed up for the 2nd feb class.

outdoorcountryboy
11-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Im wanting to build my house with yellow pine logs. Opinions, be easy on me. lol

rocklock
11-24-2015, 09:03 PM
One of the things that will be taught in class is you build with what you have with few exceptions... I know nothing about yellow pine but if that's what you have so be it...
I am a west coast person hence I know about firs and other stuff...

Good luck

soonerfan85
12-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Been reading the forum for a while and dreaming about building with logs. Something about building a home that will be there for generations appeals to me. I've been very blessed over the years to have a close knit family and a good job so I don't worry too much about finances. My build is less about building a mortgage free home than it is about a desire to leave something tangible to my kids and grandkids. Land, timber and a log home that family can live in for generations should fill the bill.

I'm preparing to make an offer on 29 acres of an 80 acre tract that's for sale here in South Arkansas about 10 minutes from town. This will be a recreational property at first, but we plan to retire on it after we sell our home in town. The timber on the property was well managed but there's still enough 50 to 60 foot Loblolly (yellow) pines that need to be thinned to use in a small build without touching the money trees. Would like to have taken the Feb. class but work got in the way. My hope is to take the class next year and then begin working on building site for a small weekend fishing cabin around 14x14 with a nice porch and deck overlooking the 3 acre pond that's on the property. If my wife and I survive that build we'll look at clearing a couple of acres and building a proper log home closer to the highway, and use the cabin as a guest house.

I do have one question, how many plans are available to members once you've completed the class? I'm hoping there are some plans for smaller cabins and not just larger homes. Looking forward to learning more about the B&P style of building.

As Larry Culpepper says, Just Keep On Believin !

rocklock
12-09-2015, 09:42 PM
I do have one question, how many plans are available to members once you've completed the class?

It has been awhile but with my 35 by35 I received a small cabin plan. I don't know how they are packaging them now but what you want may be available with the full sized plans...

loghousenut
12-10-2015, 08:46 AM
The link to the plans packages is not working right now so I can't view it. Personally I think class prepares you to build a 12x12 or 14x14 cabin with no plans so long as there is no building department to please.

We'll talk you through any problems on the member's side.

loghousenut
12-10-2015, 08:53 AM
OK, I found the plans but they are on the members side and can't send a link. The 35x35 and the 40x40 plans include a garage and a cute little 14.5x14.5 "shed" with a porch. They are full plans that would satisfy anyone but Bo's building inspector (inside joke).

soonerfan85
12-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'm sure we'll change our mind a time or two, upsizing and downsizing. Hopefully a small cabin will come together pretty quickly and give us the confidence needed to tackle a 35x35 down the road.

As I understand it, being outside the city limits we're not required to obtain a building permit, just meet the state building guidelines. The guy at Farm Credit seemed pretty interested in the idea of building a log cabin on the property. You see plenty of log cabins up in the mountains of North Arkansas, but rarely in this part of the state.

rckclmbr428
12-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Welcome! I just left a build near there in Alabama. Pretty country!

Louisiana
12-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Just wanted to say hello. My first post apparently got deleted. Not sure why but I think it may be because I linked a website that I thought might be a blatant rip off of this one. Anyway am hopefully going to be signing up for the class shortly for Vegas in February. Oh and if this post gets deleted please let me know what I am doing wrong. I am really interested in doing this and just trying to get started.

Thanks

loghousenut
12-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Welcome aboard Louis!

I think you are doing everything right. If LHBA class changes your life like it changed mine, congratulations on finding it. I look forward to pestering you on the member's side.

PS.... Where are you from, Louis?

Louisiana
12-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Name is not Louis, just from Louisiana... name is Joey!! Thanks for the welcome, you folks seem to be really helpful here and that tells me most of what I need to know about this Association and the class without even going yet!

rreidnauer
12-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Yes Joey. Linking that pirated website definitely got your post deleted. (it's why I didn't even bother responding, because I knew it was going to get the axe) You're doing just fine now though! :-)

donjuedo
12-20-2015, 02:07 PM
I was not sure, at first, because I recalled the domain name change for the LHBA. But after taking a closer look at the renegade site, I posted a bit of detailed info, and had a hunch that might hasten "corrective action". :-)

BoFuller
12-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Yes, you don't want to post dangerous links and you don't want to hijack threads. Be careful not to do what The Nut does.

rreidnauer
12-21-2015, 01:40 AM
Yes, you don't want to post dangerous links and you don't want to hijack threads. Be careful not to do what The Nut does.
He has won the Golden Wooden Paddle Award every single year since the forum began, hasn't he?

NatureDude
12-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new here and wanted to say hello to everyone. I live in the Northeast Florida area and have recently come across this forum. I'm very interested in taking the class and learning the skills that it has to offer, but don't think I'll be able to make it to the February 20th 21st class due to funds. I hope to be able to save up and make it out to the next one. Anyone know how often they have them? I did sign up for the list, but wasn't sure if there was a rhythm to there occurrence. Also, anyone else in the northeast Florida area with a current cabin under construction?

edkemper
12-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Hey Dude!

Don't worry. They're multiple every year. You won't miss anything. Well, until after the weekend. Then you'll know some of what you didn't know, get it? :D

loghousenut
12-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Yo Dude!
I, loghousenut, winner of the coveted Golden Wooly Poodle Award, wish to unofficially welcome you to the forum. Class happens irregularly several times each year and you're gonna love it. You probably won't learn any new skills, but I'd bet you will unhinged the part of your bran that has doubts about your abilities.

You can build your own log home with your own hands. LHBA can unlock it in you.

Louisiana
12-23-2015, 06:51 AM
OK! It's official I am signed up for Feb. 20th class. Working on air and hotel now but I will be there with pens and pencils ready to learn.

Joey

allen84
12-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Congrats Louisiana, you're going to a class that will forever change your life for the good!

And NatureDude, I think there is a member that has a completed home in northern Florida. Someone around here probably knows who.