Thread: LHBA member's meetings

Blog Entries

LHBA member's meetings

The Association had monthly member's meetings through the 1970's and 80's.
    They occurred on the first Tuesday of every month.

The meetings were a place to share resources, ideas, arrange for volunteer labor, have building plans reviewed, et cetera.

I have often wondered why it was always on that specific day of the month.
    Yesterday I thought of the two most probable reasons.

1) Boeing pays bi-monthly.

We started with a regional presence. Boeing was the major employer in the Puget Sound region at that time. We had a lot of Boeing employees taking the class at that time.

Saying that "the member's meeting takes place on the first Tuesday of the month," is like saying that "the member's meeting takes place on the first Tuesday after your last payday."

(Meaning the last payday of the month, not the last payday of a working life or the last payday before a strike. This was, of course, back when Boeing workers had a pension plan.)

It helps orient a person toward the long term goal, keeping budget in mind so your [s]log home build[/s] life is successful.

'Here's your paycheck, next up is a meeting about building a mortgage free log home.'

2) The United States Presidential Election is always on a Tuesday.

Building a mortgage free log home is about building freedom. It's not easy, and it's seldom done well completely alone. And once more than a single person is involved, then politics is involved.

3) The infrequency promotes self-reliance.

The meeting could have been bi-monthly. It would have been an easy change to make. But 29 days +- between them, helped develop individual focus.

That's not two reasons, that's three, and there may be more.

"I was yesterday days old, when I realized."
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 10-11-2024 at 05:59 AM. Reason: No warm up, 12th edits