Thread: Log wall height

Blog Entries

Log wall height

I'm liking the idea of home designs that have a log wall height of 10' to 12'.

For someone building their first log home, I'd suggest start small and short.

Analogy: Bouldering versus climbing.
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 08-14-2024 at 08:39 AM. Reason: No warm up, 1 edit

It's only cheaper to build up, if you have cheap logs.

But as you go higher, things slow down, safety becomes more important. You always have to deal with ladders or scaffold.....

Sometimes a basement is overlooked.

Not "that" much more than a crawlspace. But double the square footage.

jandjloghome.blogspot.com
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Build cheap and small.
    Roof on by fall, avoid too tall, avoid the fall.

Something like that ^

Exploring this concept further, a person's first DIY log cabin build should be a bit larger than the average American's 2 car garage.

If a person is going to make two mistakes on such a build, either making it a reasonable rectangle, and/or adding shed dormers might be two good ones to consider.

Edited to add:
    When it comes to headroom, I'd rather see extra money spent on low slope roofing solutions for a shed dormer, then extra overall wall height or a basement.

This is some 'Leading Edge Thought.'
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 08-15-2024 at 09:12 AM. Reason: No warm up, 7 edits

I have full height walls (18 feet). If I had it to do over again, I would do one less log (2 feet). Too scary to get up on the roof now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    I once purchased a winch cable at Harbor Freight.

Not in the normal way, rather in the parking lot from a guy in a pickup truck.
    He was an older guy in his early 70's if I had to guess.

We chatted a bit. He was local, so we shared some stories.
    In the process I learned he was a retired police officer, he was rapidly dying of cancer, and he was about to clean the roof of his 2-story home (against the advice of his doctor).
    I tried like heck to loan him the proper harness and fall arrester.
    At the price of free, I couldn't make a sale.

A couple years later I texted the guy a question and dang I was surprised when I got a response.
    The odds are probably even on whether it was the cancer that got him or a fall.
    (of course, the odds are questionable that he was a retired police officer, that he was ever cleaning a roof, and that he was dying of cancer. And this is a not a character indictment on a guy I don't know, it's just the things one wonders about. Regardless I wish the guy borrowed that PPE gear, even if never returned.)

Small, low and slow is sure faster than tall, big and slow.
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 08-19-2024 at 10:45 AM. Reason: No warm up, 3 edit

Curious about this myself. Have seen one home on the old site that appeared to be a small height build and footprint (compared to the other tall boxes), but there was a 1/2 loft inside if I remember correctly. Assuming all main level living. But it looked nice and cozy. Plenty of room for empty nesters or a young couple with no kids. Just the occasional overnight visitors.

I've long advocated for walls with a maximum height of 16', anything taller and you're either wasting massive volumes of space.pr.putting a third floor in
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"