Thread: Secondary Owner Support

Blog Entries

Secondary Owner Support

The new Secondary Owner Support (SOS) is a forum inspired by Reverend Fred Renfroe.
    He was the Chaplin at the Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, in Washington State.

He built a beautiful log home near the base. If I recall correctly the build was a family effort, with the wife and kids being an integral part of the process.

The home was triple-purpose built, a bit larger than usual, as he had envisioned living there with his family and also using it for counseling individuals, couples and small groups.

Today I learned that the home has a new owner.
    I said, "I hope you enjoy living there."
    They replied, "We love it."

• The people within the home are always most important.
    • The houses are special and unique. They are the source and background of many of life's important events/memories.

As a man who tried hard to help others throughout his life, I believe that Reverend Renfroe would agree with both those statements.

Our best to Reverend Renfroe and his family.
    I express that knowing there is a possibility he may have passed away from natural causes by this date (we're all getting older, and I tried google without results).

To anyone who has purchased a butt and pass log home that was built by a student, may this forum be here to answer any questions that you have.

If it's built properly, then expect minimal maintenance.
    If there are any issues at all, then let's try to find solutions!

Here are the kind of issues that I have seen in the past on student built homes.
    They are not common/wide spread.

Decks on the eave side causing rain splash-back that rots the sill log.
    Cap logs, rafter ends and over-dangles extending past the roof line and causing log rotting due to rain contact.
    Wind driven rain combined with short eaves causing rot and water infiltration.
    Termite/carpenter ant damage (I recommend Termidor to avoid issues if the house is built in a risk area).
    Missed or improper steps in the chinking process that contribute to material failure.
    Stain failure (Myself and other forum members may or may not have an answer to that one. I generally recommend oil based stains, if staining is desired).

Structural issues are very rare. I've seen pictures of a build where a student forget a few pier blocks on their foundation.
    I do not recall seeing other structural issues.

Regarding remodeling, there are issues unique to log homes that you may want to take into account.
    Especially when considering relocating or adding windows/doors.

Additions onto the existing student home are not uncommon, with log walls or stick framed.
    They are relatively straightforward, although if that is your path, then considering taking our log home class because... DIY log walls.

If you just want to share about your home, this is a great forum for that too!
    I am happy you decided to purchase your student built home, and I sincerely hope that it becomes a positive and meaningful experience for you and your family.
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 08-20-2024 at 08:27 PM. Reason: No warm up, 12 edits