Thread: Filling in (removing) a window in a log home

Question Filling in (removing) a window in a log home

Due to a kitchen remodel, we’re considering removing a window. Any concerns or advise regarding filling in with same size logs? Presumably would offset every other log to avoid straight vertical lines of transitions. Anyone have experience with such a modification? Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for asking the question.

Generally speaking, it's easy.

The details depend upon the type of log construction.

Butt and pass full natural log? Butt and pass round manufactured log? Butt and pass sawn timber log?
    Notched natural logs? Notched round manufactured log?
    Various tongue and groove milled kit product?

You can stagger the log ends/seams if you'd like. I have not seen that, but someone has surely done it.
    It would look neat, but would be a lot of extra work.
    FWIW, I can count on 1 finger* the number of window/door in-fills that I've seen on a log cabin.

Generally: select new material that matches the existing log 'profile', use a carving disc to blend shape as needed to match the existing wall, and match the stain (if there is any).
    The infill material should be approx the same moisture content as the existing wall. The continuous vertical seam will be a little noticeable. This is a drawback to log construction in regards to remodeling.

I could answer this in one line: "Just do it!" But don't toss the old window, until you're sure you like the new look

* Not intended as a middle finger joke, nor as an accusatory point. The key is to simply like the window where it's at, but you can always infill. If you need to change locations, additional metal or wood reinforcement may or may not be advisable.

Edited to add:

Upon further reflection, there are some systems that require things like log screws or continuous all thread (from foundation to top wall log) adjacent to door and window opening and/or other reinforcement.
    Staggering the seams (during a remodel opening infill) might not be realistically possible when dealing with some log construction methods.

My guess is, 'sink relocation?'
    Last edited by Ellsworth; 07-11-2024 at 06:09 AM. Reason: No warm up, 9 edits