PDA

View Full Version : Best Sealants for Natural Log Homes - New Contruction

02-18-2005, 07:06 AM
For years I used Behr Rawhide on my cabins. Now that seems to be off the market. Does anyone know of a similar or better product? I live in Alaska - very dry and extreme temperatures from minus 80F to plus 90F.

gregorama
03-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Stay the hell away from Liquid Rawhide - I used it on my hand-hewn deck railing on the recommendation of 2 outdoor log furniture makers; it mildewed and eventually destroyed the railing. Seems they didn't test or overestimated the mildewcide they added. Look it up on Google; you'll get an eyeful.. There was a class-action suit for several years against Behr, but the payout was per sq. ft., and would have made me about $125 for a mountain of paperwork. Not much, considering the innumerable hours I spend on hidden tenons, etc.! There is no direct replacement from Behr, but I used Penofin on some other furniture, and it seems to be holding up OK after a year. I will be building in Juneau; wetter and more temperate, so I'm also looking for a good way to keep the logs light and clean looking.

Say, isn't Tok where the power line crew hauled up that moose from a mile away as they tightened the lines ? It was last year; I'll have to look that one up again. The pictures were incredible....
Greg