PDA

View Full Version : Solar/wood stove/propane heating...high altitude!

The_Truth
02-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Since my cabin will be built at approx 10,000ft., would it be better to use a combination of 2 wood burning stoves (instead of the one) and some sort of solar heating (or propane or combo)? :?: Would like opinions of some cabin vets that lived in remote, high, cold climates. Other opinions are welcomed as well. :lol:

kahle
02-22-2006, 12:32 PM
10,000 is sort of pushing the envelop. You may need to do some blood doping just to live up there.

There would be many considerations to allow for that type of altitude. You need to oversize your flues and chimneys for anything over 2,000 feet. Also, normal methods of moving the heat won't work as well. Normally we heat the air and then blow it around in the house. You only have about 2/3 the air that the rest of us do so it'll reduce the amount of heat it can carry.

You need to concentrate on radiate heat. Surround your fireplace with rock. Not the fake stuff but real mass so it can absorb the heat from the fireplace and radiate it directly (water in barrels works better but it freezes). Put the fireplace in the middle of the house and try to open up as much of the main floor as possible. Radiation only works on a straight line, doesn't bend around corners.

Make sure most of your glass faces directly south (50% of total) have as little north side glass as you can. Make sure your roof overhangs don't shade the windows in the winter months. Use the snow outside to bounce light up through your south facing windows in the winter. If you have to build a small deck to make this work, it will be worth it.

The_Truth
02-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the info. My land does have a southern exposure which is one of the main reasons I bought it. It is too far to bring power lines so I will go solar. I was also planning, as you said, to have plenty of windows on that side also because it faces the beautiful view we will have. :D

I also thought about the masonary heaters mentioned in this section. After looking at the links to some of the sites that have built them, they not only look good but have very effective heating. Cost is the only drawback to them.

I am also worried because of the slope of my land and how to build (foundation piers, etc.) but plan to ask that question at the class when I attend. With piers, I wonder if the cold air will get under the log cabin easier making it harder to heat :?:

Thanks for the help.
Jeff