Page 252 of 300 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    [QUOTE=Wood Butcher;I'm looking to retire to the mountains in a few years and I hope to build my own log home.

My current skill set gives me an edge on the MEP systems and finish but I might as well be a fish trying to fly when it comes to log construction.[/QUOTE]
    Which mountains are you looking to move to?

Are the 'member forums' more active than the open forums? Also, why is there such secrecy behind this method? I find it strange they don't sell books, DVDs, or things of the sort with the information. Why must you attend the class in Vegas? If it's just a classroom setting, it's not like the information is anything that couldn't be taught via DVD or read in a book, minus the Q and A's, but there is the forum for that. Please don't think I'm knocking the organization in any way, it sounds completely awesome and I totally want to take the class, I just don't understand why there seems to be a veil of secrecy that you can only pass through by taking the class. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureDude View Post
    Are the 'member forums' more active than the open forums? Also, why is there such secrecy behind this method? I find it strange they don't sell books, DVDs, or things of the sort with the information. Why must you attend the class in Vegas? If it's just a classroom setting, it's not like the information is anything that couldn't be taught via DVD or read in a book, minus the Q and A's, but there is the forum for that. Please don't think I'm knocking the organization in any way, it sounds completely awesome and I totally want to take the class, I just don't understand why there seems to be a veil of secrecy that you can only pass through by taking the class. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance!
    Dude,

A couple of things. The class is the starting line. You get your briefing and that starts you on the path. There is no way to provide all the info during a 2 day class. But that is where you meet our leaders and where you become part of the family.

The Member Only section is where the details are. Kind of like a book of knowledge but more like an interactive one. There is someone (or plenty of someones) that will deal in more of the details. We really teach and help each other. There are so many variables that it is easier to get the correct info interactively.

Does that help? There is a Class Workbook you get. But without Steve and E teaching the class and answering many, many questions (save them for Sunday).

It's been successful for more years than I know and it's morphed into what it is today. At one time, the class was taught (as I'm told) helping to build a log home. A hands on affair. But that had many limits and what we have today is something special.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    Dude,

A couple of things. The class is the starting line. You get your briefing and that starts you on the path. There is no way to provide all the info during a 2 day class. But that is where you meet our leaders and where you become part of the family.

The Member Only section is where the details are. Kind of like a book of knowledge but more like an interactive one. There is someone (or plenty of someones) that will deal in more of the details. We really teach and help each other. There are so many variables that it is easier to get the correct info interactively.

Does that help? There is a Class Workbook you get. But without Steve and E teaching the class and answering many, many questions (save them for Sunday).

It's been successful for more years than I know and it's morphed into what it is today. At one time, the class was taught (as I'm told) helping to build a log home. A hands on affair. But that had many limits and what we have today is something special.
    That does make sense. It seemed that two days was a bit short for such a massive amount of information, but makes sense that the class would be the 'intro' and the forums the details. Thanks for the reply! #TwoThumbsUp

Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    Not certain. We are looking everywhere but leaning towards the Blue Ridge west of Asheville NC

Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    We haven't decided. We have been visiting a lot of areas. We want a location with 4 seasons. We want isolation but it'd be nice to be within 1 hour to a small city. We want to homestead so good land is a must. I hunt and fish so somewhere with game and streams would be great. I would like 100 acres. We are leaning towards the Blue Ridge area north or west of Asheville NC.

LHBA Member

Thanks for the welcome. This is our building site. Septic is already in. Will be off the grid with solar, possible seasonal hydro, still have to log wind speeds for possible wind power. Masonary heater, etc etc.

LHBA Member
    Well..posted picture from flickr account...maybe I did it wrong?

Really looking forward to the class next month after lurking for four or five years. The members can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the vast majority of the class is instruction in building the shell of the house, getting your house under roof.. But the detailed information on electrical, heating/cooling, plumbing, etc., is all on the member's side. And through years of trial and error and mistakes by all involved, best solutions are available, with questions answered by folks that have been there and done that. What a great resource.

So far as I know, the important thing is to bring an open mind and warm slippers to class.

Did I miss anything?