Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: injury liability when acting as general contractors

injury liability when acting as general contractors

Hey thanks everyone for your input, .....I see we are going to have to make sure we are covered. All it takes in one back injury or something of that nature, and we could be paying for years!

It is a pain in the neck now, but better than a pain in our wallet.

:wink:

Hi Kim, I just posed this question to my Ins. agent. basicly if you have a home on the prop. already, you may be covered depending on your policy. If there is no home w/ ins, than they should have a ins. bond or policy to protect them and possible damage to your property and surrounding properties, (like if they accidently started a fire) in any case I would supply them osha type safty gear i.e. hat, goggles and back brace and have a written aggreement /requirenment that they use them in writting to show later that you did try to address safty factors if it does come up

Hi Wood Bug: (love your user name)

Thanks for the info. I found out in the state of Tn, you have to have workman's comp, period. So, now the question is, if we provide it, or the guys who put up the logs get their own. So, that is what I am looking at now. Again, thanks for tips.

Kim :D

you definitely need worker's comp

Hey guys,
    This is a subject I know a little about. My brother is a worker's comp attorney. He advised us to absolutely have a policy in place before anyone ever set foot on our property to help during construction. This included friends who came out to help for free. He has had cases where a friend working for free was injured and unable to work at his real job and the house owners had to pay compensation --ie: his lost wages -- because of the injury.

Keep in mind this is different than a general liability policy. You WON'T be covered for worker's comp claims under a general liability policy.

We ended up getting a policy that would cover us. It was about $2000 for a year of coverage. Not cheap, but I would much rather pay for the policy than pay someone for a worker's comp claim.

Absolutely have a policy in place before you have anyone come in and help!
    Lisa & Mark

Lisa and Mark:

This really good info. thank you.! Do you know the name of this policy? Or what company issues it? We would pay the 2000.00 in a hearbeat, or maybe get the builder to split the cost.

Kim :D

liability

Lisa and Mark:

Thanks for the tips. That is the direction we will have to go. We have no choice. I am not about to let a worker step on one inch of our land without the coverage. He might get poked by a thistle or something and sue us for pain and suffering! hehe.
    :wink:

Blog Entries
    Bump: seeking recent member experiences with this topic.