Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some real info regarding wind mills

Hi lilbluehonda,

I am delighted to report that there will be individuals known as "neighbors" but so far away as not to be able to hear me scream at full force. They will be acres away. lol What a luxury!

Blondie

Hi, Just got the computer out of the shop.....a virus got it! HORRID There are neighbors but so far away that they will not kear it. Such luxury!!

Blondie

Quote Originally Posted by lilbluehonda View Post
    One other thing I haven't seen mentioned was if you have neighbors close by they are going to like your wind mill they sometimes can get noisy
    Often times the bs coming out of a neighbors mouth about a windmill(despite never being near one before), is much louder/detrimental to the neighborhood than a windmill ever will be.

Quote Originally Posted by hemlock77 View Post
    Often times the bs coming out of a neighbors mouth about a windmill(despite never being near one before), is much louder/detrimental to the neighborhood than a windmill ever will be.
    Agreed. I've stood within 100 feet of the GIANT ones on the northern most tip of PEI, at the Wind Energy institute of Canada, and the WIND is noisier than the windmills themself.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

LHBA Member
    Those big wind mills are actually not as noisy as some of the smaller ones made of fiberglass when the wind blows hard the blades Ferrell in the wind and make a lot of noise,they even warn you not to put them too close to your house,not far from me there are massive wind farms so I have heard them

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?t=10899

Blondie, try the site above. Northern AZ Wind & Solar. Most of the discussion there discourages windmills unless you consistently have winds above 20 mph. Anything less than that just isn't efficient to justify the cost. They say to get a anemometer (not sure I spelled that correctly) and actually measure your wind over a period of time. And this is from guys who actually sell windmills. I have too many trees, and if my wind did consistently beat 20 mph, I would need at least a 100 ft pole to mount one.

Why not build a wind turbine yourself? Check out otherpower.com I built their 17' dia turbine several years ago and it worked great..I gave it to a guy living off the grid in arkansas and he loved it..

solar has come a long way but not as far as it should or could have/ just my opinion!
    i just saw on the news the first solar plane and it could fly at 30..40 mph. it was funny looking lol
    they plan the first solar complete non stop flight around the earth soon/next year...thats a major breakthrough

i heard from a drywall job i did that solar is expensive and by the time it pays for itself you need a new system(something like 10-15 years). OUCH
    that was the first thing the solar instal co. told this particular client and claimed by law they had to. but the home was 4500 sq ft ranch...1 floor in ca.

solar i read is better than wind power per dollar invested. you should be able to hook into the power for electricuty you produce. it just spins the meter backwards. if power goes out and your connected to grid..you will be without power..otherwise the power co. workers are in danger..so whats the benefit?...i think you can put in a switch (to get the solar off grid so you can use it in power outage times) maybe...just rambling.
    i know enough to be dangerous when it comes to electricity

i thought you were already building Blondie
    Last edited by Timber; 06-28-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Solar is cheap. If I had a good solar site I would have the south slope covered in solar electric and solar hot water panels. We liv e up a north facing canyon so I can throw around bold statements like this.

In reality, wind and hydro power are really cheap. A good wind site probably makes the cheapest electricity you can find but you have to have a backup plan just like a sailboat does.

Trust me, once you have lived off of Coleman lamps and a generator, you will learn to appreciate what a good modern off grid system can do for you. The 20th century has been a GODSEND to the offgrid folks. It takes a bit of cash and you will have to learn the lingo but it'll be worth it in the long run.

I checked into solar where I live and it just wasnt affordable for me.. to cover 100% of my energy needs with a backup generator was around 75k installed.. 30 years of utility bills wouldnt add up to that so I scrapped the idea and started messing around with wind turbines .. I would look to your state for some help.Between the state and fed government you could probably get half of it paid for.. Just an idea..