Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fallen trees

Will Dye, I'm back to work

Will Dye,

I'm back to work now, so it's just weekends for a while. I have my roofers starting on Monday. Yep I'm cheating, but just no time & I'm afraid of the weather coming in quickly.
    After getting some labor quotes to build the roof as per class, we changed our plans.

We are hiring out the framing & shingles/outside trim as a normal house, then will likely T&G from the inside after, ourselves. Just need to get the logs protected from the snow before it gets here.
    We hoped to be farther along by this time of year, but we didn't find land as quickly as we'd hoped.

Let me know if you ever get up in the area, in the next few weeks hope to start on the floor joists.

Jeff

Hey Jeff

Are you going to be out working on it this weekend? If so I should be able to make it down there.

Quote Originally Posted by KingLewey70
    Are you going to be out working on it this weekend? If so I should be able to make it down there.
    E-mailed you...

Joe, I am building a home

Joe, I am building a home and I had eight logs left over. Two of the logs were not peeled, the other six were. The logs were on the drying rack for three years. Yesterday I cut several of the logs up into firewood and found that the peeled logs were just fine and could still be used as good quality house logs, but the two unpeeled logs were rotten. The bark kept the sap wood damp and the bugs loved it. I used all Doug Fir. I used a 6' long mutt which I purchased at Home Depot to peel all 88 logs. Good Luck, Dave

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

pictures..

Dave;
    Glad to see you posting on the forum. I believe you gave the best advice that I have heard... you said something like 'stack the next four biggest' which is what I tried to do...
    do you have picture of your log home?
    I would like to see them...
    Dave

Dave, Good to hear from you.

Dave, Good to hear from you. I do have pictures which I will post. Have you cut your doors and windows? If you havn't, make sure you come to see my home before you do. It will be worth your time. Dave

6' mutt

ajax
    I have to ask this having seen if referenced several times.

What in the world is a mutt tool? Is it another term for a spud?

I've been looking all over the rolladex for pricing on spuds but see several posts mention the mutt. Tried to research the mutt and find nothing on the itnernet...lol

thanks,
    John

mutt

My mutt is a 'spud' that is about 4" wide at the scraping surface, and it tapers back to the handle. Mutt is the brand name used by home depot at one time, I know Lowes and Home Depot both use different brands now. I think some people call it a tile scraper. Someone posted a link a while back to one carried by Northern tool. I plan to make a few more out of jeep leaf springs...

Mutt

Okay maybe I got it now.

I went to Home Depot just now and they had a "Bronco" brand tool. It had a 6' wood handle, and the small brochure said it was for ice, cutting roots, etc. The blade was about 4". Had a 5 year guarantee on the blade. The tip of the blade was flat and only sharp on the end and not both of the sides. There was a protective cover on the blade edge as it looked sharp.

Total price was about $14.00 with tax.

Does this sound like it would fit the bill for a spud?

Thanks,
    John

Mutt

Okay maybe I got it now.

I went to Home Depot just now and they had a "Bronco" brand tool. It had a 6' wood handle, and the small brochure said it was for ice, cutting roots, etc. The blade was about 4". Had a 5 year guarantee on the blade. The tip of the blade was flat and only sharp on the end and not both of the sides. There was a protective cover on the blade edge as it looked sharp.

Total price was about $14.00 with tax.

Does this sound like it would fit the bill for a spud?

Thanks,
    John