Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Book For Everyone To Read Before Building

A Book For Everyone To Read Before Building

Hey Kola, after a rant like that, I am looking forward to meeting you at the class tomorrow! Go get 'em!

All that government control and tax greed is enough to make you move to the Alaska bush. The $100 a year I pay up there beats the stuffin out of the $2400 they get on my house in Vancouver!

Hey Greg!..it was nice meeting you! ..the class rocked.

keep in touch.

"Kola" 8) kirk

Sorry we didn't get much chance to talk. I wanted to get the 3-1/2 hour drive over with before it got too late. --Monday morning still comes eary and I still owe my soul to the company store. I was just reading your posts about the tipi. That's some cool stuff.

Yeah Greg, I blew friday and monday off as I had the luxury? to close up shop...the downside to being self employed and blowing days off equals no pay.
    I did get to do some driving (getting lost, lol) around Washington and loved the smell of Spring and all the blossomed plants and trees..and the beautiful creeks, river streams and the coastal waters..wow!
    ..I wasn't used to all those pesky bugs tho.'..skeeters everywhere.

..and yes, the tipi is pretty cool. I looked at yurts but they were way out of my price range..if I had a wife, kids, parakeets, gerbils and mother-in-law, I would have probally done the yurt but for 1-2 people, a tipi should suffice. You can get tipis as big as 30 ft in diameter..thats huge.

Cheers and here's to "ridge pole envy"
    Kola

Kola,

You could build a Yurt pretty inexpensively. I designed and started to build a 30'-footer that I figured I could build for $3000 (minus the deck). That included the reflectix and 18 gauge vinyl-cover polyester cover made by someone else.

Those big Yurt companies want a whole lotta dough for those things.

Gamma,

good thinking on DIY'ing a yurt. "Yurt" is a funny name...wonder how the name originated? I would worry about them holding up in high winds and stuff..if you made your own, you would need some good stitching and hold downs as the side walls would take on direct vertical wind gusts. One could probally sew up a tipi cover too and save a wholle lotta buckeroos.

It just goes to prove.
    Theres always a cheaper way!

Kola

The word yurt is originally from the Turkic word meaning "dwelling place" in the sense of "homeland"; the term came to be used in reference to the physical tent-like structures only in other languages. In Russian, the structure is called "yurta" (юрта). (There is an obsolete term "kibitka" (кибитка).) From Russian, the word came into English, and is also the basis for the term horde, meaning house or clan. (copied from wiki)

I saw a couple of these while I was on R&R in Kyrgyzstan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt

Re: Low Tax Dream Home book

We found the book (used) on Amazon and got it for $7.49, including shipping. Got it in the mail yesterday!

Vern and Sara Street

Glad to see someone else found a copy. Happy reading Vern and Sara. I see my post has made a full circle turn back to the book :lol: I enjoyed reading all the posts in between though. If others can't find a copy maybe you and I can sell ours and make a few bucks for our log homes 8)

Take Care All!

WalkingHorseLady

I just ordered this book on Amazon. There are 7 copies left, for anyone interested.