Thread: Insulation

Insulation

Hello folks. We're building our retirement home 28x40 and I have some questions. And hoping to get some information about the insulation. It's not a log cabin but will look like one. 1x6 clear pine with 3/8" chinking between the boards.
    I believe this system would work great in a log home. The walls are 2x6 with 1/2" plywood,tyvex. 1x2 lathe with the pine boards nailed flat on the lathe.
    Rockwool insulation between the studs. 6 mil visqueen vapor barrier sealed tight. I use butyl caulk, black death. Then 2" of ridgid foam insulation R-10 nailed over the vapor barrier. 1x4 lathe installed horizontal, 5 rows. Top bottom middle, middle of middle. Then 1x4 boards installed vertically over the studs. Fastened to the studs, 16"oc. I will use 6" timberlock screws.
    This will reduce the number of holes in the vapor barrier. The electrical and water lines are ran in the gap created by 1x4s. Sheetrock over the vertical 1x4s. Electrical boxes can be placed just about anywhere, easily.
    This type of construction method could greatly reduce drafts. It is designed to dry moisture in the walls to the outside.
    We have in floor hydronic heating and a fuel oil drip stove that resembles a wood stove for the living room floor. I will install 18" of blown cellulose insulation in the lid for r- 65.
    Any and all opinions welcome

Blog Entries
    How about considering the LHBA option.

It is real. It is genuine. It is totally doable with your own hands and without a 30 year mortgage.

My Wife and I could not be happier with ours.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

We have a log cabin. And I really enjoy it.