Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LHBA design vs Kit Design

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, I love our place, will even more when it is complete. But don't oversell us, might disappoint.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    Thanks guys, I love our place, will even more when it is complete. But don't oversell us, might disappoint.
    No one is "Overselling" you. It is BEAUTIFUL!!

I have taken the class, but will not be building a log home of any sort now. However, many of the elements from the class will be transferred over into my newly chosen building style. In fact, the only thing that really has changed, is I'll be substituting something else for wall logs. I still consider the class worth it, despite my decision to go a different route.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    I have taken the class, but will not be building a log home of any sort now. However, many of the elements from the class will be transferred over into my newly chosen building style. In fact, the only thing that really has changed, is I'll be substituting something else for wall logs. I still consider the class worth it, despite my decision to go a different route.

Don't undersell your extensive travels here LHBAville, Rod. Show them some photos of that GORGEOUS LHBA log home model.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post

Here is Rod. He's not built his own log home yet... But he's shared enough of his knowledge on the members side to cover the cost of admission. There is no shortage of information and help on the members side of this site. The online class is great and I love the weekly zoom meetings. I'd jump on a plane for another LHBA weekend in Vegas tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    My wife didn't like "round logs" at first either - here in the south, everyone thinks a log cabin has flat edges. My FIL was confused when we started stacking logs - "when are you going to shave them flat?" lol. My wife doesn't like the idea of not having a flat area to hang pictures. But there are plenty of framed in walls for that. OTOH, the mass of the logs is something that is growing on her - big fat logs protecting us from the outside world. They are also awesome for acoustics- I'm a musician, so I can appreciate that. I just finished the exterior chinking, and I'm working on permanently installing my windows and the one thing that keeps shocking me is how quiet it is inside. I cannot hear anything from outside anymore - it just gets absorbed by the logs.

Wood has an R value of about 1.5 per inch, so an 8" log (what most kit logs are going to be) is only going to give you an R-value of 12, and most cities/counties require at least R15 for walls - so the kit guys add a lot of grooves and foam to get you up to that value. I've even heard of people framing the inside log walls with 2x4's and insulating behind them just to get up to the R15 requirement. At that point, what's the point of having a log home?

Anyway, here's my attempt to convince you that round logs are awesome:

our future kitchen and our homemade doors.
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

Quote Originally Posted by knotflyn View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What about interior design flexibility? Assuming you want a portion of the home to have the aesthetics of a log but in other areas of the home, ( bedrooms ) you want a more traditional option such as sheetrock so you can paint and have a bit of transition throughout the home. Does the LHBA offer multiple floorplans or are you working with limited options?
    we have a member named MrJack who i believe will be milling flat the interior part of the log and keeping other sides round

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    One thing about the flat milling logs is you have to have a spicific size of log for all logs, with our method you can mix a lot of different sizes and you don't loose all that thermal value. .
    We originally were planning to do 3 flat sides and the outside round. I'm very thankful to have found LHBA just before we started milling. Helped us to not make a lot of mistakes.

Then there are us that are completely and utterly addicted to round logs. We look at the pic that Mudflap posted and we can't stop drooling!!!!!

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    The job Brian is doing is absolutely amazing, especially knowing he has done it all nearly by himself. He will beat us even with all the help and machinery we have had. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    The ambiance in our log home just makes me want to just sink into it and bath in the glow. We have a string of 1 watt lights up temporarily and I can't really describe the feeling it gives and we are still under construction. Can't wait till it all comes together.
    We were not planning the three flat side because we didn't like round but because we didn't know how to do round before LHBA.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/weWCuaigVxfFPGAR8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EfjKyBpfMSFR8MJj9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E7wqeT4jGJ2XSCs18
    Last edited by Mosseyme; 11-04-2021 at 09:58 PM.