Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about building in remote areas

Question about building in remote areas

I was wondering on the methods of transporting the logs and even the equipment to build. Is there any vehicle that could haul maby 1 or 3 logs at a time ? My issue is that my land has a 3 mile road thats "off grid" its more like a trail path. Its not the widest dirt road by any means with trees bordering all sides. Id guess some log cabin builders have been through this issue since most log cabins are in a country side.

Im not familiar with the off road capabilities of some needed machinery to build log homes but my land has a 3 mile road (into national forest)
    Thanks for all the information you all have here.

Blog Entries
    There are ways to haul one or two logs at a time behind a pickup, but if you can drive to your site you can probably get a log truck in there too. More about that in class. That takes care of the logs and the rest is just figuring out how much you want to do by hand. If you want to mix your concrete by hand, that's possible using the LHBA method. As for the actual log building and lifting tools, they can all fit in the back of a pickup.

Trust me, you won't be the first one to build a LHBA log home in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    There are ways to haul one or two logs at a time behind a pickup, but if you can drive to your site you can probably get a log truck in there too. More about that in class. That takes care of the logs and the rest is just figuring out how much you want to do by hand. If you want to mix your concrete by hand, that's possible using the LHBA method. As for the actual log building and lifting tools, they can all fit in the back of a pickup.

Trust me, you won't be the first one to build a LHBA log home in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you so much for the response, you put my mind at ease. I am excited to build and take the class. Now all I have to worry about is getting these beavers to back off their ponds alittle bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVctry View Post
    Thank you so much for the response, you put my mind at ease. I am excited to build and take the class. Now all I have to worry about is getting these beavers to back off their ponds alittle bit.
    Put your mind to rest. Ellsworth will discuss beaver control on the second day of class, just before noon break.

You're in good hands here.

PS... I should point out that I took the class from Ellsworth's Dad, Skip, over 30 years ago and can't remember for sure if it was before lunch or after that he discussed furry rodents.... I distinctly remember their was a lunch in there someplace... Welcome to LHBA.

Short answer- yes. Long answer- I built a pole trailer out of an old truck frame and hauled 24" logs for my place and another member because log trucks simply would not have made it onto the properties, we could haul 1-3 logs at a time, you could probably manage more with a real pole trailer. I've heard of other members hauling logs by boat, atv, horse, jeep, comealong, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way- improvise, adapt, overcome...

My logger told me that my site was the most remote he had ever delivered to.

Here's a modified deuce and a half 6 wheel drive truck modified to carry logs onto a very hard to access site on a mountain top were working on inWestern North Carolina. I've used horses to pull logs, four wheelers (small logs) half the fun of building is figuring it out fwiw the log here is over 55' long, and 3' at the base
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Ron, that is hillbilly engineering at it's finest! I almost look at that picture as a sort of dare...
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Ron, that is hillbilly engineering at it's finest! I almost look at that picture as a sort of dare...
    Hold my beer and watch this!
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Blog Entries
    ... Then he backed up to the basement hole and used the dump bed to set that RPSL upright. I sure did like that guy!

All joking aside, there are a skillion ways to get logs from here to there and. If you saw the road that big ole log had to go up, you'd see why they hauled it that way.

The tough part of building a LHBA home is having your ducks and your spouse in a row and on the same page. A family that wants the same LHBA goal will find the process to be simple and enjoyable.
    Last edited by loghousenut; 04-22-2013 at 09:03 AM.