Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bat's ???

Bat's ???

We are just a week or two away from having our place completely in the dry "woohoo". I think we have some bats that have made their home in our ridge pole somewhere (as evidenced from little gifts they leave behind) and I am hoping someone can tell me how to get rid of them before we completely close everything up.

you good at tossing a baseball?
    about every few years we have the same issue at the the farm house. Other than stopping them in their tracks with tennis rackets after they show up we've never had much luck. Hired exterminators 2x - no better. We have sealed 4-5 places they have found there way in from and think that's it....nope. A new spot they find somehow.
    Good luck - they nasty buggers inside a place. Love them outdoors though.....

Blog Entries
    First of all don't kill them unless you really like mosquitoes. Don't treat them as mice with wings... They're better than that. Bats are the coolest animal on this planet. It's a shame they have to poop because they'd be great to have around if they didn't leave behind the smelly evidence.

Once you get the place completely closed in and tighter than a drum, you could just leave a big window open, wait for them to go out prowling, and then put the screen on the window to keep them out. Bats can get into some pretty small cracks but once you close off the route they normally take to roost you'll probably keep them out of your house.

If it was me I'd build or buy a bat house (or two) and install it somewhere nearby on the off chance that they would find it and stay close.

Jake and I used to love hitting the pool just after sunset in the middle of summer. As soon as the bats would come out we'd sit still til the water got smooth as glass and then watch the bats swoop down and take a drink while in flight. Sometimes they'd touch the water a foot from our face.

Another cool way to play with bats is to stand out in the open where you have a good bit of sky to use as a backdrop to watch the bats. When you get a bead on one of them that will be flying somewhere nearby, toss a small pebble up in his/her direction. The bat will "see" it and instantly fly in a path to overtake it. The bat will swerve off at the last instant and resume hunting. Sonar always allows the bat to identify the rock as a UFO instead of a RGB (Really Juicy Bug).

Yea, I really don't wont them dead because of their benefits. I will see if I can get them out by leaving a window open one night then go out and close it after they go out on their hunts. One night we were working a little late and the work lamp brought in some bugs and that really made them active. We were dodging them as they would make their dives after the bugs. I am quite sure though, that my wife and girls will not be as impressed as me and my son were and it could impact wether or not they will sleep at night if we don't get rid of them

Blog Entries
    They would prefer to live in one of the Bat Houses you build or buy (kits). It's truly multi-family bat housing.

As for mosquitos, when I was researching bats for that purpose on my property, I found out it was more helpful to get houses for another type of bird. Can't remember at the moment which bird, but they are one of the keys to getting mosquitos eaten. But I do own a couple of bat houses because Bats are so cool.

Then again, the mosquito magnet does seems to make the biggest difference.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    They would prefer to live in one of the Bat Houses you build or buy (kits). It's truly multi-family bat housing.

As for mosquitos, when I was researching bats for that purpose on my property, I found out it was more helpful to get houses for another type of bird. Can't remember at the moment which bird, but they are one of the keys to getting mosquitos eaten. But I do own a couple of bat houses because Bats are so cool.

Then again, the mosquito magnet does seems to make the biggest difference.
    Probably swallows or my fav is the chimney swift .... they gobble up skeeters like no tomorrow. They both consume zillions of the things.
    Interesting Ed - I had 2 Magnets and we swear they drew in 10x the skeeters than w/o so unless we were close to them it was not a winning situation. Bet my neighbors lovedus tho....lol

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    I have a bat box. Or as I call it my bat condo for six. There are plans all over the net and are really easy. If fact my lumber yard gave me 1/4 inch ply that was the inside walls. The dimensions are important as well as the placement tn the tree or pole.
    Just remember bats in Washington have the highest rate of rabies so be careful. LHN be careful out there.

Iron Station, NC; building near Franklin, NC
    Blog Entries
    Blane,

I would look at what Rocklock said. In NC, one of the biggest resevoirs for Rabies is the bat population and they usually have the "dumb" form of the disease where they dont show overt symptoms. Putting up a bat box away from the house would probably be the safest for your family and animals.

We use the gourd birdhouses around our horse barn to control insects. I'm not exactly sure what types of birds nest in them, but I am told they are Purple Martins, Tree Swallows, and Barn Swallows.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    The bats we have mostly along the west coast don't attack humans. Rabies transmission is due to us catching them and getting bit.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    spelunkers have been know to become infected with rabies from the bat dropping, or so I've heard.