RockhoundMedic

Greenstone home build

Rate this Entry
Hey my name is Lauren

I just recently joined the LHBA and am feeling very excited, relieved, motivated I had previously planned to build a full scribe log home, but after some road blocks I got discouraged. I'm a single mom of a 2 year old, and full time paramedic working 24 hour shifts. I decided to just buy a double wide for the sake of having somewhere to live to call my own. The price of a double wide, however, really starts to add up, and I began researching log home building again when I came across an lhba build video. It seemed so doable!

Through the past few years I feel God leading me back to building my own log home. I don't want to owe money, I want the lessons that come with the struggle, I want the patience. I can only assume God led me to this massive resource and I am very grateful.

I have 10 acres of heavily wooded land in Michigan. I have hundreds of perfectly straight red pines, on average if u measure the top and bottom, 10 inches in diameter. I wasn't planning on building a log home when I purchased the land, so this is a huge gift ❤

I am going to try and document my steps I am working on finding an architect.

I named my build the greenstone home, for now. I chose the name because I love Michigan's state gemstone, chorastrolite, aka Isle Royale Greenstone. I am a huge rock hunter and Michigan, upper and lower peninsula have some bad ass rock hunting ��

Thanks for reading if u made it this far Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220215_150601.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	4418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220130_180451.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	835.1 KB 
ID:	4419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220107_051803.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	820.6 KB 
ID:	4420

If I can figure it out.. I will post some property pics along with my temporary shelter (no I don't live in the tent, it's more of a tool shed)

Submit "Greenstone home build" to Facebook Submit "Greenstone home build" to Twitter Submit "Greenstone home build" to del.icio.us Submit "Greenstone home build" to StumbleUpon Submit "Greenstone home build" to Digg Submit "Greenstone home build" to Google

Updated 02-26-2022 at 01:50 PM by RockhoundMedic

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's the way - hardcore! Interested in your progress, and will be following along with your build. Be sure to ask plenty of questions on the forum - we'd all love to give you advice.

I noticed that pic with some pines on the ground and it made me think of my build - something I did wrong on my build:
    I cut all my trees before I put in the foundation. My reasoning was: I was trying to see how many pines I had that were the right length so I could figure out what size home I could build. I ended up cutting trees for 18 months before spending 4 months getting the foundation finished. Some of my logs rotted after sitting for 2 years. If I could do it over again, I would have cut maybe 1 tree, just to see what size it was, then leave the rest while I got the foundation finished.

Anyway, nice to meet you, good luck!
    Thank you!
    I will keep that in mind about the logs, those ones I cut down to widen my driveway to bring in a double wide trailer, that I'm no longer getting. I cut them into 10 to 20 foot lengths, so I am hoping to be able to use them in my 30 foot house still, and just put the butts together where there's gonna be a window or door.

I was hoping to cut most of the trees down as I go, just to cut out extra steps, but I'm open to advice.
    Hey - haven't seen anything from you lately - how's it going?
    How's it going Rockhound? I took the class years ago in the early 2000's at Skips house in Monroe and was taught by his son. Had a great time in class. Anyways I just got back on the forums/groups after being absent from it for over a decade. My wife and I will most likely, after I settle my dads estate, be building a Log Home in Norther Arizona starting mid to late 2023. Hope all is going well. Best Wishes & Blessings. AL B. Slidell, La.