Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ndenofre
    I enjoy your blog comments tom..I was born and raised in Ishpeming and own some acreage near big bay (co rd 510). I live near appleton, Wisconsin but we are moving back home in the spring and will start the job of building a home from logs. My biggest problem is actually finding someone in the area that sells unskinned logs (i prefer pouple). Do you have any suggestions on who to contact?
    Howdy ndenfre!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I'm new to these "blog" things and haven't got into checking on them. The very 1st thing I would suggest to you is both of you "take the Class" as I'm sure you've heard throughout reading the forums.

Finding a logger up towards Big Bay shouldn't be a hugh problem they are constantly harvesting up that way. Poplar /Aspen may be a little tougher being by the time they get big enough to build a place with, they seem to develop "heart rot" and would be no good for house logs, depending upon what size ( diameter) you're looking for. I'm not saying impossible, you'd just have to find the right guy. No problem building with Poplar I too considered it but want bigger diameter pines that are easier to come by, somewhere in the 20" -24" diameter at the butt and holding a minimum 12" -14" diameter at about 35'. I want a higher "R" factor for our home.

If you are serious about building one of these places, take the class and your gal with ya. The money you will save on this build will be more than what a little vacation to Vegas costs including the cost of the class, imho, and you will come away with All you need to make it happen. Unlike the slots where you can't really win.

May I be the first to Welcome you home to da UP! eh! Good Luck ! Keep in Touch!

Tom
    Also any tips or tricks would be great! Im doing this with really no help and im keeping it somewhat small (28'x32' 12ft walls w loft). I would go a bit larger but its just my girlfriend, 8yr old daughter and me doing this (and i lost both legs and walk on prosthetics) so im keeping it as simple as possible. I decided on the "butt and pass" method and have been reading and investigating everything i can online and in good old books. Thanks again tom and best of luck!
    I enjoy your blog comments tom..I was born and raised in Ishpeming and own some acreage near big bay (co rd 510). I live near appleton, Wisconsin but we are moving back home in the spring and will start the job of building a home from logs. My biggest problem is actually finding someone in the area that sells unskinned logs (i prefer pouple). Do you have any suggestions on who to contact?
    glad you're home.
    glad you have a fulfilling way to spend your days.
    you are truly blessed.
    Thanks Panderson03! It's as good as it's going to get.. On the road to the other home in the am
    beautiful pic. glad you're feeling better