PDA

View Full Version : Can logs replace old siding?

Pugsleeplikelog
05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I just joined LHBA. I have been enchanted with log homes since I first set eyes on one. I haven't read all the forum topics, so I'm not sure if this question was ever asked.

I have a small brick house, 800 SF. There are two additions off the front and back doors that are aluminum sided. I would love to replace the siding with logs. After finding this site, I've learned there's a difference between a kit (which a handyman I know suggested I do) and the butt and pass method of building.

Any thoughts on a possibility of making the additions look completely awesome with logs? Has anyone on this forum done just an addition? I live in Milwaukee, WI.

Terri

happyquilter
05-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the forum! You will fit right in here since you are "enchanted" with log homes and refer to them as "awesome." I can't blame you for trying to capture a little bit of that magic on your current home. I'm thinking you can go one of three ways:

1. Replace the aluminum siding with "log siding." It won't be real logs, but it won't cost a fortune and could look pretty cool.

2. Tear out the additions and rebuild with real logs using the butt and pass method. I'm sure it could be done. There are other homes with B & P additions, as well as B&P homes with stickbuilt additions.

3. Set your heart on a real log home, attend the class, sell your current home, and build a forever log home. From the sound of your post, I bet you would never regret going this route.

Good luck!

Shari

loghousenut
05-27-2012, 02:32 PM
I vote #3.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk 2

Pugsleeplikelog
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. The house I live in is a gift from my boyfriend's parents. He passed last year, 2011. He was wise with money, so we needed probate court. He didn't leave documents which could have bypassed all that and saved money. :Hear that Mike: Me, being his girlfriend and wanting to make things look just so, can't quit thinking that wood for the additions is the cat's meow. Have you guys ever heard of Modulog? They're in Washington state. I'm in Wisconsin.

I replaced windows in the kitchen and living room and am totally happy I did.

I don't know what's next, but this forum is a blessing.............
Terri

happyquilter
05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Terri, I am very sorry to hear about your boyfriend passing last year. I'm happy his parents made sure you got your house. They must be wonderful people.

You are very welcome here even if you never build a log cabin (but I really hope you do, lol!). Good for you taking on windows, siding, etc. All good experience. Prior to attending the LHBA class, neither my husband nor I were very handy. After attending the class we figured that anything we do now is good practice for building our log home, so now we are DIYers and do all kinds of improvements on our current home. Our confidence builds with each project.

Please stick around!

Shari

edkemper
05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Terri,

Sorry for your loss. I'm proud of you for being the person his family feel you are. You are more than welcome here.

You never shared how much land your place is on. That info is important to answering your questions with our way of looking at things.

Pugsleeplikelog
05-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I appreciate the replies, Shari. Mike's mom and dad are wonderful. I spent a good portion of the day yesterday looking up my mom's hometown in North Dakota. There are so many abandoned buildings just about ready to fall. It's so nice to come here and read about log homes. So I'll be sticking around. Heck, I spent Memorial Day looking through this forum. I'm definitely at the dream stage for a log house, but I've already asked a friend of mine if he wanted to go to a seminar. He wants to buy another property on a lake. So many possibilities...........
Terri

happyquilter
06-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I heard a rumor that there will be a class offered Labor Day weekend.... get on it!

Pugsleeplikelog
06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, Ed and Shari. I've tried to respond, but somehow I get logged out. <I made myself laugh> It's a very small lot in a mid-sized city. Brick house was built in the 1920s and is strong as an ox. Additions.....not so much. Gotta stop typing so I can post this little bit. Terri

Pugsleeplikelog
06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Already asked a friend if he wanted to go. He said no. Going to ask another friend who lives in CA. Oh, yeah, I'm on it. Keeps me a'goin. <hoo-hoo, still logged in>

edkemper
06-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Puglover,

I think you're going to fit in real well and have a blast on the other side.