PDA

View Full Version : Air compressors?

John G
04-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I know that tool selection and purchase is part of the class material, and the advice is to hold off buying stuff until after you take the class. But I need to buy an air compressor to finish some unrelated projects. I don't want to buy a compressor today that isn't suitable for my future log home building ambitions. I'm signed up for the May class, but I need a compressor before then.

So, any advice on air compressors? Will I need/want a compressor once I'm building my loghome, and if so, what kind?

lilbluehonda
04-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Once you use air nailer you'll throw your hammer away even the palm nailer works where nothing else will if you have a good sized Generator you can just buy a small electric or any small gas engine one will work they don't need much air

Timberwolf
04-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Depends a bit on your location/build specific situation. If you have power, i'd get the biggest portable i could afford. Check the motor specs, there are cheap junk ones, and there are good quality units. Many big ones require 220V power. I purchased a continous/extreme duty 60gal and have never regreted it (except when moving it). Alternately a good gas powered unit will get the job done.

loghousenut
04-21-2012, 05:32 PM
It really does depend on the situation of your build. I am building where we have lived for 19 years, so I have the luxury of being able to leave tools laying around wherever I want to.

I have a great big ole 80 gallon compressor that is hardwired to 220V at my pumphouse. I ran about 80 feet of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC to get the air line to a point where all I have to do is run another 100'-150' of flexible air hose to have air at the build site. There has to be a lot of loss due to the distance and resistance in the lines but it seems to work just fine. Air tools are cool!

Just thought you oughta know it can work if it has to.

DrArrowsmith
04-22-2012, 06:12 AM
I have not taken the class but I do work in a hardware store and know a little about air compressors. It all depends on what your going to do with it. There are three important rating on an air compressor. The most obvious is capacity. The more air a tank can store, the less work the motor has to do which increases life of the compressor and lets you work continuously instead of waiting for the compressor to catch up. The second rating is the psi or the pressure at which the air is stored in the tank and certain tools require specific pressures to operate. The final and most important rating is the CFPM output (Cubic Feet per Minute) which is the volume of air that the compressor can produce at the specified pressure per minute. Most tools have specifications for the minimum CFPM so look for these requirements when buying a tool. Smaller 3-gallon compressors can run a brad or finish nailer regularly and slightly larger models are required for roofing and framing nailers. The large 60-80 gallon compressors are typically used for automotive applications for running multiple tools and/or constantly running tools like impact wrenches and die grinders rather than intermittent use nailers.

From what I have absorbed from this site and outside research the exact compressor depends on your situation. Assuming that you are using it for a nailer then you DEFINITELY don't need an 80 gallon compressor. Look in the 6-9 gallon range at one compatible with the nailer you're looking for. Electric versus gasoline is largely up to you and whether electricity is available at your site. LHN is also completely right, if you run a long air hose, you SIGNIFICANTLY decrease the efficiency of a compressor. Rigid makes a 9-gallon potable gas compressor that has a tire on the front and can be moved around like a wheelbarrow that I've heard really good things about. However, I've never used it, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Just my two cents!

loghousenut
04-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Add up a bunch of those 2 cent's and it turns into enough to make this site work. I love you guys/gals.

rckclmbr428
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd like to disagree about a small tank for just a nailer, I run a framing nailer at various times of my build, and often I am cranking a full magazine of nails out in under a minute, with the smaller pancake style compressor you are either waiting for the compressor to recharge, or you empty the magazine and take a hammer and go finish hammering in the nails the compressor didnt have the air to drive all the way in. I put on an entire roof in Colorado with a small compressor, and seemed like I spent half the day waiting for the compressor to recharge. I have a small compressor for small/ odd jobs. but for building a full size home you will want one with the biggest capacity and most flow available.

FishingAddict
04-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I'd like to disagree about a small tank for just a nailer, I run a framing nailer at various times of my build, and often I am cranking a full magazine of nails out in under a minute, with the smaller pancake style compressor you are either waiting for the compressor to recharge, or you empty the magazine and take a hammer and go finish hammering in the nails the compressor didnt have the air to drive all the way in. I put on an entire roof in Colorado with a small compressor, and seemed like I spent half the day waiting for the compressor to recharge. I have a small compressor for small/ odd jobs. but for building a full size home you will want one with the biggest capacity and most flow available.

Maybe it varies somewhat with the brand of 'cake. My BIL is a GC and I know some of his roofing crews run 2 PC pancakes, single gun (Hitachi) on a tank tho, not a chance for it to keep up to a pair of them. Two pancakes, 2 guns and they finished up my place in about 11 hours last week with 2 nailing, 2 set-ups and a couple tenders hauling up. 35 sq of Elk Prestiques up there so I know it can be done. No doubt bigger is better but in a pinch it works for some. For a single person, non pro type, I imagine it may work out just fine. I have a 62 g and a red PC in shop. Only thing I don't like about the little PC is the NOISE of them

rckclmbr428
04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Roofing nailers dont use the volume of air that framing nailers use, you can use pancakes, just know that the time will come when you will be waiting on the compressor to play catch up. Most people are more patient then I am.

rreidnauer
04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
For construction, give me an old Emglo with a Honda on it.

(actually, I already got one) :D

Gomer
04-23-2012, 05:45 AM
me thought we needed patience as part of log building.
I know you way more serious in your endevearers and not a match for you.
got a little dual tankers that was retrofitted with a honda engine. Think it 2 2.5 gallon tanks. Plenty good for me as one man nailer

jasonfromutah
04-23-2012, 07:04 AM
I agree with Rockclmr. I bought a small harbor freight compressor 5 gallon- maybe... It was worthless. I bought a bigger compressor at Home Depot. I believe it was 10 gallons. It wasn't too bad but we still ended up waiting on it. A friend let me borrow a large 30 gallon (I would guess) and that was what we needed. When you are installing Tongue and Groove or framing, ITS A PAIN waiting on a compressor and listening to it constantly run.

Time is money.

rckclmbr428
04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I agree with Rockclmr. I bought a small harbor freight compressor 5 gallon- maybe... It was worthless. I bought a bigger compressor at Home Depot. I believe it was 10 gallons. It wasn't too bad but we still ended up waiting on it. A friend let me borrow a large 30 gallon (I would guess) and that was what we needed. When you are installing Tongue and Groove or framing, ITS A PAIN waiting on a compressor and listening to it constantly run.

Time is money.
Amen brother, I hate hearing things run, and a pancake that runs all day isnt going to last very long

Gomer
04-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Amen brother, I hate hearing things run, and a pancake that runs all day isnt going to last very long

I bet you are mostly right on this, at least in a heavy use that is continual day after day.
That said for the one time builder who doesn't run multiple guns I think a pancake is hard to beat. I have one that is better than 20 years old (I do drain it) and never had a thing go wrong. Also have the twin tanks and not a hiccup yet. I do not run them all year loud either.
If I was a pro I'd have a larger portable unit. I'm not and except for the noise you all referenced - very pleased for my needs.
footnote: I am an easily pleased person. lol

Basil
04-23-2012, 11:08 AM
I've used compressors for most of my life, from restoring old cars to building my house and now building a barn and the list just goes on. I firmly believe that anyone that is doing more than brad nailing should get a decent compressor. A tank that is 30-55 gallons with a large enough compressor motor is the minimum size in my book. Palm nailers and nail guns use more air than most would realize. And frankly, installing lag bolts with an impact wrench is a hack of a lot easier than turning a wrench. The more you rely on pneumatic tools, the more you realize that no compressor or tank is "too big". The 35 gallon tanks are easily rolled around and provide enough air to get the basic tools working.

edkemper
04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Time is money.

What are we taught in class?

Fast,
Cheap,
or what?

BenB
04-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Fast,
Cheap,
or what?

This is interesting ...... ;)

I want to hear the answer --- from the class side............................:cool:

edkemper
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Actually, LHN has referenced our three choices quite a few times. Remember, we only get to choose 2 of the 3?

hammerhead 67
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I have a 13 gallon HC compressor. Works fine for framing nailer, brad nailer. Works OK for low volume sprayer.
Runs too much for high volume stuff like impact wrench and air ratchet.

IF I was running 2 hoses and 2 nailers, I would want a larger compressor. I use it often building decks, shooting in baseboards and trim and it is up to those applications fine. We DO get tired of loading and unloading it from the truck. (heavy but manageable). When it dies, Ill probably buy a larger portable unit. Don't know how I will load and unload it from the truck though.

IF you only have one compressor that you need decent capacity but light enough to move around often, something in the 20gallon or under size is probably the ticket.

forgot.... The compressor is LOUD especially indoors. I need to get a cardboard box to put over it while I am working to quiet it down.

BoFuller
04-24-2012, 06:06 PM
I just ordered a 25 gallon portable with a 9HP gas motor. That's about the biggest you can find and still be portable. It weighs 215 pounds but I can use the tractor to lift it into the back of my pickup, then I can take it anywhere I need it.

rkissinger
04-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I just ordered a 25 gallon portable with a 9HP gas motor. That's about the biggest you can find and still be portable. It weighs 215 pounds but I can use the tractor to lift it into the back of my pickup, then I can take it anywhere I need it.

Using this definition we could also call a ton of gravel "portable" ;-). Seriously though, what brand did you get? Let us know how it works out. I'm probably going to be on the market for a compressor this summer also. I have electricity on site but I'm debating a gas model for possible future needs. There are a to many tradeoffs to consider with compressors, I like it better when there's one obvious good choice.

Gomer
04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Actually, LHN has referenced our three choices quite a few times. Remember, we only get to choose 2 of the 3?

can I play?
I wager a (insert) its the "cheap" and the "or what"
Why you wonder ??? Easy - most of the build here take years and years. That takes away the fast.
What did I win?

loghousenut
04-26-2012, 06:39 AM
OK Gomer, You figured it out. Ellsworth will award your prize at class.

Congratulations, I was hoping it would be you.

Gomer
04-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I knew dat ;):p:D

Gomer
04-26-2012, 11:55 AM

That thing still run on 110 ?

BoFuller
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
It's gas. I don't think there is an option for electrical.

Basil
04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
I have a 53 gallon craftsman that my parents got me 10 years ago when I decided to restore a plymouth barracuda. I can easily pull it up into the bed of a pickup truck, it rolls on two wheels, and was big enough that when Will was roofing my house he had a hose for the roofing nailer while I had a separate hose for other jobs. It runs on 110 and has been abused enormously but still works great. I've had to replace the gauges on it several times but other than that it's been great. It cost them about $350 and is loud as a freight train.

FishingAddict
04-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I have a 53 gallon craftsman that my parents got me 10 years ago when I decided to restore a plymouth barracuda. .

What year 'cuda ??
I have a '69 340 that I had run 35-38 years ago locally as a Super Stocker .... dyno'd out at 420 hp. The thing screamed then, probably does today but I no longer have the nerve to run it that hard. It originally was a hemi but I swapped it out to improve on the front end weight for handling on the S curves for when I could get on the local "track". lol
We used to shut the "s" down by blocking it off, the police were cool about it back then as it was a rural road at time, and I made a ton of $$$$$$ with this 'cuda on both types of surfaces.
Of course I also rapped a '59 'vette around a tree ..... and that thing today would pay for a log home, someone BUILDING it for me, and a dinner too. :(:mad:;)

mario kadu
04-27-2012, 01:02 PM
While this has nothing to do with log homes....in 1972 my friend and I were hitchhiking from LA to Boston....a guy picked us up just outside of Coalville Utah driving a tricked out Baracuda I think it was a '69 and drove us to Green River Wyoming, he had one hand on the wheel and the other with a can of beer in it... We covered the 125 miles in less than an hour?. ....the beer was ice cold

Btw I have a 110v 60 gal craftsman ... a few years ago it ran two impact guns and an air nail gun all at the same time while three of us built a large patio cover. Even with the three of us using air it only kicked in about once an hour

edkemper
04-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Back in the late 60's, we used to block off side streets in San Fernando Valley on Wednesday nights or a few alleys off Crenshaw in Los Angeles on Saturday nights and set up our christmas trees, timing lights, our security crew and LAPD radio monitors. Hundreds of people, cars and equipment could disappear in about 30 seconds. Just like TV.

Before turning 18, I got to run a go cart across the San Fernando Valley with LAPD on the chase. Police helicopters were just a dream back then.

FishingAddict
04-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Back in the late 60's, we used to block off side streets in San Fernando Valley on Wednesday nights or a few alleys off Crenshaw in Los Angeles on Saturday nights and set up our christmas trees, timing lights, our security crew and LAPD radio monitors. Hundreds of people, cars and equipment could disappear in about 30 seconds. Just like TV.

Before turning 18, I got to run a go cart across the San Fernando Valley with LAPD on the chase. Police helicopters were just a dream back then.

Life was soooooooooooo GRAND back then !!!!!!!!!
I lived in a 'burb of Minneapolis back then and we'd run from a T in Hopkins all the way down to the Minneapolis-St Paul border on Lake St, which is maybe 11 miles. Of course gas was cheap then - they had gas wars all the time here, Metro 500's were often 09.9 cents a gallon and I am dead serious. That was premium, 102 octane --- they (police) used to let us run the whole stretch except an in-between 'burb called St Louis Park. They'd try to snare you but really had little chance. Heck - my 'cuda had graphics Cold Steel on the sides so they knew me but catching me was another matter....
We got smart and would run 6-8 sets of cars at 10-15 second intervals...they never could pull out more than one car a night. They had a hospital in St Louis Park and they were doing construction/addition. It was set back maybe 150 yards off the strip, er road. One night everyone had the SS'ers there and all had uncapped headers, the ol' Isky cams a rump 'ummp ummmmping and the air was heavy and sadly just right .... we blew out tens of thousands of dollars worth of glass that wasn't secured. That was the beginning of the end of it all.
It was crazy, foolish, dumb, stupid, whatever label you want to toss on it I'd agree with ....... including fun.
I digress.....how's everyones builds going anyway ??? :D

FishingAddict
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
While this has nothing to do with log homes....in 1972 my friend and I were hitchhiking from LA to Boston....a guy picked us up just outside of Coalville Utah driving a tricked out Baracuda I think it was a '69 and drove us to Green River Wyoming, he had one hand on the wheel and the other with a can of beer in it... We covered the 125 miles in less than an hour?. ....the beer was ice cold

If it was a custom silver/blue I'd be scratching my head wonderin' ......... I was actually out that way in '72. Spent the summer in Laguan Beach, CA but was everywhere from N.M. to Montana zigging and a zaggin' .//// I digress once again. sorry

edkemper
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
My family lived in the San Fernando Valley when I was born in 51. They tore our house down to build the San Diego Freeway. Most of the valley was still orchards and ag land. In the late 60's you could still argue with movie stars driving down the streets. (A whole nother story) Still could walk up to stars without KingKong stopping you.

One of the most famous "cruise nights" was Wednesday and Saturday night cruises on Van Nuys Blvd.

I could tell back then that I was running on fumes when I started getting close to $2.15 to fill up my tank. We used to have Steve McQueen and friends racing along Mulholland drive to Malibu Canyon in his Porsche. Mulholland drive has a history also.

Now they cheat. Helicopters and all kinds of sensors.

mario kadu
04-27-2012, 07:57 PM
I am pretty sure the guy who gave us the ride was a local..but it was a blue barracuda .. He told us he worked in Salt Lake City but lived in Green River Wy. and made the 100+ mile drive both ways every day. The spedometer was buried most of the way and he used both lanes on the sharper curves. The car had no hood to allow for the scooped carbs...the cooler was jammed between the bucket seats and he and I drank at least a couple of beers each .. I was paranoid about the cops but he told us that his brother-in-law was on the highway patrol so no one would ticket him as he said <with a wicked grin> "as long as he didn't drive toooo fast!"
....meanwhile by buddy in the back seat read his bible hIs hands shaking the whole time ..lol... I guess between Jesus and the beer we were covered either way.
I too was born in '51 and could tell lots of similar stories of rural east San Diego county in the good old days...alas by the early 70's the cops started getting on us for exhibition of speed and other bogus citations like jacked up rear ends, nitro tanks etc..an here we thought 1984 was just a bad Orwelion dream

jasonfromutah
04-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Fast,
Cheap,
or what?

Everyone's situation varies. My point is, there are times I'd rather spend a few extra hundred dollars to save 20 hours of
work. That is why I bought a nail gun and rented a tele handler..

The beauty of the LHN method is that most anyone, in any situation can build a log home. Some might take 20+ years, others less than a year. I suspect I'll fall somewhere in between.

LogLover
04-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Gents - we got spoiled by the good ol' days, didn't we ..... :)
Mario - my 'roomie' back then was a guy who played in an old Apple records band called Badfinger....he was easily 10x crazier than I was. Make it 100x. The only thing that freaked Joey out was the way I drove. That he would truly have to self medicate in a serious way to jump into the car --- he did a lot of self medicating at that so it was just about OD time sometimes. Never knew if he was that color due to speed or .... things.

You guys had one wild scene on the west side.....wish I would made the move there permanently then. Today ..... to many people and changes for my taste

mario kadu
04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I agree with Jason..my tentative plan is to pick up a gently used piece of heavy equiment for the heavy lifting - or I might just lease/rent it - my 31 years as a corporate slave at CAT has spoiled me to the idea that the best way is to have the right tool for every job (preferably with a yellow/black CAT logo on it's side)

... also San Diego sucks....too many people and way too much traffic- and too many bureaucrats telling you what you can't do...--and that is why we can't wait to take the May class - I've 'lurked' on the public forum side for a long time just reading and trying to understand the process and soon realized that we just had to get into a LHBA class- good news is that we have our 10 acres just past Georgetown CA paid off free and clear, well in, pad graded, and power ready, although at some point we will go solar and get off the grid. .. so the plan is to retire in 2014 - and by then have the septic system in, have obtained the appropriate tools, and put a 5th wheel on the property, pay a series of outrageous building fees and permits...--- then get logs!

do have a question... I recently traded my big air compressor for a 33 gal 2hp 110v electric craftsman (in a wheeled dolly) it seems to work pretty good but I've only used to to change tires or run an impact gun on simple auto work - I think it will be adequate and should work on building my log home. Has anyone used one of these or one of a similar size/ hp rating in their construction?

btw my little brother as a studio muscian in LA was the paino player on the back ground track while Sinatra sings "doobie-dobbie doo" - lol don't hold that aganst him he was a long haired rock and roller - once offered a job to tour with Linda Ronstadt

jasonfromutah
04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Mario

That 33 gallon will do you right! It sounds like a good choice.

Good for you, making the commitment to build a log home and getting that land. I have found that it's a lot of hard work, but well worth. I spent the day with my 10 year old son, and my dad cutting lodgepole pine for my railing. I then took my 3 kids and wife to our lot and cleaned it up!

It sure is fulfilling working on it, and doing it together. Best of luck.

BoFuller
04-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Mario,
I think that compressor will serve you well. Georgetown, what an awesome area. Close enough to shoot over to Tahoe for some skiing?
Yeah, if you have been with CAT that long you are spoiled for quality. Look forward to watching your progress.

BoFuller
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Mario,
I think that compressor will serve you well. Georgetown, what an awesome area. Close enough to shoot over to Tahoe for some skiing?
Yeah, if you have been with CAT that long you are spoiled for quality. Look forward to watching your progress.

lilbluehonda
04-29-2012, 05:27 AM
And George Town is the gateway to the world famous "Rubicon Trail" if your into offroading ,in fact a friend of mine lives there and works for the Jeepers Jamboree (Kathy Otermat)

BoFuller
04-29-2012, 05:57 PM
I wanted to do the Rubicon Trail for years, but it is way down on the list these days.

edkemper
04-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Bo,

Let me know. I hunt up that way every year. We could take the Polaris Ranger through the rubicon. It's a blast even riding a quad. World Class run. But you better hurry, it's getting closer and closer to being closed.

This is the general area:

BoFuller
05-04-2012, 07:09 PM

We (LHN and I) tried it out yesterday and it works fine. My telehandler has a slow leak in one of the tires and it just took a couple minutes to fill it up. Last time I used my little 5 gallon and it took forever!

lilbluehonda
05-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Bo,

Let me know. I hunt up that way every year. We could take the Polaris Ranger through the rubicon. It's a blast even riding a quad. World Class run. But you better hurry, it's getting closer and closer to being closed.

This is the general area:
654 Here's a picture of me coming out of the Little Sluice on the Rubicon

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/Scan10016.jpg

BoFuller
05-05-2012, 07:29 AM
That's awesome. Describe your rig!

lilbluehonda
05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Well it was a Chenowith 2 seater Buggy frame Had a 1968 cc VW engine ,late model Bus transaxel 537 gears close 3rd and 4th,long travel trailing arms 3 ins. longer and wider ,6 in.wider chrome molly long travel front end back in the 80's when I built it ,it was state of the art,that's why I could show off for the camera and not break it in half ,I also had a sand rail that was a lot lighter and a 2180 cc motor , over the years I've had just about every off road toy there is

lilbluehonda
05-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Here's my sand rail at Pismo
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/Save0010.jpg

edkemper
05-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Mine was a "slightly modified" 1951 flat fender Willys.

Mosseyme
05-05-2012, 01:00 PM
You got to watch out for the epa. We are 1 mile from the Tellico off road trail head. One day a sign went up closed Nov. till June. 3 years ago. Never reopened, they have decommisoned the roads and grassed them in and barriered them to non passing.

edkemper
05-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Every year there are numerous fights over attempts to close the Rubicon Trail as well as many other area OHV trails here in CA.