PDA

View Full Version : Lions Club Log Cabin

Tom Featherstone
03-27-2012, 03:32 AM
The Negaunee Lions Club of Michigan's Upper Peninsula has taken on a Log Cabin Reconstruction project. This 16 x 20 miners cabin was dismantled and will be reconstructed closer to Downtown Negaunee in a reclaimed area called "Old
Town".

Negaunee pioneer Samuel Collins brought his family to Negaunee in 1867. They lived in a log cabin while he built the first framed house in Cornishtown Location near the Jackson Mine. In 2009, a log cabin was found within the walls of a small house being demolished in the Collins First Addition to the City of Negaunee, near the football field. Research indicates that the log cabin had been moved from another location and rebuilt in 1913 on a concrete foundation owned by Samuel Collins. The logs were covered with siding, which protected them while the structure stood for nearly 100 years. After being discovered in 2009, the cabin was taken apart, log by log, and stored by members of the Lions Club.

The Collins cabin is ready to be put back together on a site across Tobin Street form the Negaunee Senior Center, near the park. The project is being spearheaded by Jim Thomas and Dave Dompierre, Sr., as well as other Lions members. Fundraising is now taking place to help restore the pioneer home for public viewing. Most of the restoration work will be done by volunteers; however, donations are needed to cover costs related to permits, site preparation, foundation, roof construction and some other related needs. Donations to support the restoration of the cabin can be marked "Collins Log Cabin" and mailed to the Negaunee Historical Society, P.O. Box 221, Negaunee, MI 49866-0221. Everyone is encouraged to play a part in this project.

Another bit of History. Negaunee Michigan is where the first Iron Ore Deposits were found in North America. Google "Negaunee, MI" You'll see all the history of the steel industry and where it came from. And the importance to the history and to where we're at today. They still have active Iron Ore mines here today and no matter what side of the fence you're on as mining is concerned it is mind boggling the process they go through to reduce rock into pure Iron Ore.

To be honest I kind of came into this project kind of late. My plate is pretty much full with my responsibilities with the Lions Club already and if I'd seen what they had started with I would have suggested that it would have made for a great Bonfire right where it was located. None the less this project will be done. I too will be contributing and will be looking here for technical support from my LHBA brethren that have way more experience than me.

I'll post more here as I come up to speed on this project. I should have more information by the end of the week with photos to follow.

Tom

WornOut
03-27-2012, 05:29 AM
I know area pretty well there Tom. Guess not so much what is going on there as this the first I've heard.
7-8 years ago we all pitched in and moved 2 old log homes/cabins up near Baraga as they getting swallowed up by the forests again. They had mined (copper) about 100 yards uphill from these log "messes" and maybe the settling would have swallowed both up in another 10 years. Think 25% of the logs needed replacement due to rot - the roofs mostly gone and snow pack inside caused mess with all. Years of it at that
One's now on a private lot and other is on the reservation land. Heard they worked on it over winter and will be there over Easter so will try to get pictures also. They date to 1850's, maybe 1861 latest. Old Treaty refernced one when they kicked the Ojibwa off the rez to grab the land, as they did so often. Treaty shifting they called it there. Pathetic IMO
The log homes been thru hell and still were standing mostly -a testament to the logs quality and the Fin's who built them.

BenB
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
This is pretty close to where I am headed Monday....actually could drive right through the town
Going to Munising to look at property
Are both of you close by?

Tom Featherstone
03-30-2012, 02:08 AM
This is pretty close to where I am headed Monday....actually could drive right through the town
Going to Munising to look at property
Are both of you close by?

I'm about an hour West of Munising and South of Negaunee. Munising is a beautiful town on the shore of Lake Superior. A snowmobilers "mecca" and their busiest time of year. You'll probably drive right through Negaunee "Iron Town USA". Good Luck on your property search. The Munising area has a lot to offer the outdoor enthusiast. Did you sign up for the class?

BenB
04-01-2012, 07:14 AM
I'm about an hour West of Munising and South of Negaunee. Munising is a beautiful town on the shore of Lake Superior. A snowmobilers "mecca" and their busiest time of year. You'll probably drive right through Negaunee "Iron Town USA". Good Luck on your property search. The Munising area has a lot to offer the outdoor enthusiast. Did you sign up for the class?

Road bound early - like in a few hours. Things got pushed up.
I love the area, actually the whole UP and shores of Superior dang near everywhere to be honest. That nice cool blow of the water, or bitter cold even, warms the soul. Decided to spend the week searching for land if need be. Waterfront is grand but I want privacy even more than water so things could take a turn any which way. I have a general idea what I want to spend, pretty good feel for prices in area, and we shall see where it takes me.
I'll drop into Negaunee for sure.
Class=no.
If one comes up after August it should work fine for fit. If not and I have land secured by then I'll start clearing and move along anyway I guess until somehow I can make one work. I'll spend a few extra dollars if needed to push things along a bit. Cheap sounds wonderful and is my middle name ;) but I can get impatient also. Just buried my best friend at age 48 last week so I understand the needs to also enjoy life sooner rather than later right now. At least that is how I am looking at things

Tom Featherstone
04-01-2012, 09:03 AM
BenB,

So sorry to hear of your loss of your best friend. I've lost a few in my days, I look to my elders at their strength and on how many they've lost in their days. Let the good things fill your heart of all the good things you had together. May your heart heal soon that you smile another day too.

We too love Lake Superior. Living on it another thing. It's not just the cost of frontage which in some parts of the world is still reasonable it's pretty cold most of the year. We also went for privacy, our nearest neighbor is a couple of miles away.

Now is the most important thing in each moment we're learning to live. Life looks a whole lot different when you view it that way. Your heart will tell you when you've found the right place. Enjoy your time while here. The Munising area as you already know has some of the most beautiful areas of the UP and your place is just waiting for you to find it.

Good Luck! Stay in touch here and get signed up for early class notification so if they have a class in the fall you'll be there. Cause if you're going to build with logs this is the way to do it, it's worth wait.

Best of Wishes!
Tom