PDA

View Full Version : May 2012 Log Home Class--Last of Season

John17three
03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Go!! If you've not signed up yet, go for it. You won't regret it, and you'll be prepared to built when the timing and finances are right. The Wide World of Log Homes is pretty neat, and if there's any question, you CAN do it.....with a little help from us friends. : -)

Dates are May 26/27th. :-) Have fun everybody!!

Jim McKenzie
03-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I just booked, very excited to be going!

StressMan79
03-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I just got an email for cheap rooms @ the hard rock hotel in Vegas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=22HDE2EUKPUFJ&C=3DRDGFQ35WD26&H=3ALWA4NOUQUEXCDDP7WDKUOPAQ8A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Flocal.amazon.com%2Fsnohomish%2FB007 IXDEWI%3Fsrc%3Demail%26cid%3Dem_dd_982_101_na_s2_d 2_d1%26ref_%3Dpe_175500_23037100

I don't know if it helps, but look into it.

panderson03
03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I just booked, very excited to be going! Mr. McKenzie, you'll be so glad you did:) congratulations on taking the leap!!

Bmetz34
03-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I just got an email for cheap rooms @ the hard rock hotel in Vegas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=22HDE2EUKPUFJ&C=3DRDGFQ35WD26&H=3ALWA4NOUQUEXCDDP7WDKUOPAQ8A&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Flocal.amazon.com%2Fsnohomish%2FB007 IXDEWI%3Fsrc%3Demail%26cid%3Dem_dd_982_101_na_s2_d 2_d1%26ref_%3Dpe_175500_23037100

I don't know if it helps, but look into it.

Fine Print has the dates of the class as blacked out... Too bad, it's a good deal!

Rebecca Todd
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Hello Everybody. This is Rebecca is SW Mo. Signed up my husband and I for the May class! Can't wait for Memorial Day weekend to get here.

John G
03-10-2012, 06:47 PM
How does one sign up for the class?

Steve
03-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi John,

You can sign up here (http://mechanicaltransfer.com/classes/log-home-class-may-26th-and-27th-2012.html). This link hasn't been posted yet on our main website because we are currently in the "pre-announce" time period for our email newsletter subscribers. We let them know first, and then post it to the home page within a day or two. You can sign up now if you are ready.

-Steve

loghousenut
03-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Pre-announce??? Can you really tell us all about it before you announce it?

I wonder if I could get the store I work for to start letting folks in to shop before they open. Maybe they'd sell everything before I got to work, at 2:45pm, and I could just stay home.

PS... Take the class John. Even without an announcement it'll be a life changing experience for you.

Steve
03-10-2012, 11:21 PM
LHN,

We send out an announcement to the newsletter subscribers first to give them priority on class space before the rest of the world hears about it. That's our way of thanking the folks who sign up for email alerts. :)

Every now and then, if we haven't had a class in a long time, and the class date is a popular one (like Memorial Day weekend), the class sells out before we even post it on the home page. So signing up for email alerts can help quite a bit.

But yeah I guess I need to figure out a better way to describe it. :)

Steve

BoFuller
03-11-2012, 08:05 AM
LHN,

We send out an announcement to the newsletter subscribers first to give them priority on class space before the rest of the world hears about it. That's our way of thanking the folks who sign up for email alerts. :)

Every now and then, if we haven't had a class in a long time, and the class date is a popular one (like Memorial Day weekend), the class sells out before we even post it on the home page. So signing up for email alerts can help quite a bit.

But yeah I guess I need to figure out a better way to describe it. :)

Steve

I think pre-announcement is fine. Notice the comment was from my Bro LHN. Consider the source. ;)

Ellsworth
03-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I wonder if I could get the store I work for to start letting folks in to shop before they open. Maybe they'd sell everything before I got to work, at 2:45pm, and I could just stay home.

I miss the days when Costco gave Business members an extra hour to shop in the store -- before they allowed in other members. That was kind of like opening before they opened, and it was awesome. (at least they still have the great muffins!)

Of course, I also miss Home Depot being open 24 hours a day :(

panderson03
03-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi John,

You can sign up here (http://mechanicaltransfer.com/classes/log-home-class-may-26th-and-27th-2012.html). This link hasn't been posted yet on our main website because we are currently in the "pre-announce" time period for our email newsletter subscribers. We let them know first, and then post it to the home page within a day or two. You can sign up now if you are ready.

-Steve

Steve your kid is really cute:) thanks for the updated pic!!

panderson03
03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I miss the days when Costco gave Business members an extra hour to shop in the store -- before they allowed in other members. That was kind of like opening before they opened, and it was awesome. (at least they still have the great muffins!)

Of course, I also miss Home Depot being open 24 hours a day :(

wow Mr. E. your kid is getting big quick!! looks like you're training him well:)

Steve
03-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Steve your kid is really cute:) thanks for the updated pic!!

Thanks :) All the fashionable kids in the Philippines wear diapers on their heads these days. It was clean I swear. ;)

John G
03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Oh, Lord help me. I've signed up for the class.

Thanks for the help, y'all.

chokonen888
03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Signed up! Glad they offered another class so soon as I couldn't make the March one this weekend! :D

loghousenut
03-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Heck guys, I don't care if you pre-announce before you tell anyone about it... Just as long as you get them folks signed up for class one way or another.

I think John and Choko are gonna add a lot to the members side as soon as they get past me on their own homes.

PS... What does "consider the source" mean anyway?

HHAAaahAAahahha

Xsmoker
03-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Not pleased - with employer.
I couldn't get things together enough to do this March one and now 2 months ahead another one...same thing. Have allocated vacation time thru June so here I sit again looking in. I know there was talk of maybe another one over the Memorial day time frame but being as it was just talk I never started to lobby for vacation swap - this morning they said 6 others ahead of me and I can forget it.
Is this the norm - the somewhat last minute adds? I realize everyone is busy who may be involved in this thing. Not so sure if everyone understands how difficult it also is for many of us to just take time off work? Holidays for many of us seem to be only a day or 2 tops in the new era of work.
Ok - so this is it for the "season" - but does that mean year also? Is there any chance that one of the upcoming classes could maybe provide additional lead time so as to allow us to work thru things with our "slave" employers?
Thanks for any additional info

BoFuller
03-12-2012, 06:40 AM
PS... What does "consider the source" mean anyway?

:cool: "consider the source" means that one should pay close attention to the deep wisdom as LHN waxes eloquently :rolleyes:

chokonen888
03-13-2012, 12:59 AM
I think John and Choko are gonna add a lot to the members side as soon as they get past me on their own homes.

Haha, I have a lot of work ahead of me before I can even get started....but the sooner I can start learning, the better :D

Not so sure if everyone understands how difficult it also is for many of us to just take time off work? Holidays for many of us seem to be only a day or 2 tops in the new era of work.

I feel for yah but I'm taking a week off of work here in Tokyo to make the class...and you don't know slave employers til you worked in Japan ;)

Xsmoker
03-13-2012, 04:34 AM
a long road trip for a class huh.
I'd take off in a heartbeat if it didn't mean loss of job. They been searching for any excuses to terminate us on higher end of $ scale here for several years. Matter of fact they have sliced off almost 75% of us. One cost them dearly in lawsuit as it was without basis - this would give them a basis so ..... it is what it is I guess. Unemployment in my field at my age is around 50% we figure so not a lot of options abound without a career change. Then it's the "why now" thing. So I stick it out:(

exsailor
03-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Xsmoker,
I would look at the previous year's class dates. As I recall almost every one happens on a three day weekend. You could preemptively schedule next year's "vacations" around projected class dates. I know there is no guarantee a class will be offered, but you can always decline to take vacation. Sighting Job loyalty and they need you too much, pleasing the 'overlords". This is just an idea that might work for you next year.

FishingAddict
03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
pretty much the same boat for me - my work schedule is now out almost 4 months and if I want a job I have to work when they say.
The good ol' days are behind me...once upon a time not that long ago I would have 10-15 calls a week asking if I was lookin' for work/change.
Sometime this fall yet I will start clearing and hope I can have the class under my belt. If not I imagine I'll be doing a library full of reading as I will be moving forward one way or the other for personal reasons.

Spitfire
03-13-2012, 09:27 PM
I didn't get a newsletter alert, good thing I checked here. I'm having transaction trouble so it'll be a few days but I'm excited to sign up! I'll be coming with a friend; we're two tiny chicks planning to build in Kentucky.

otholee1
03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Cool hat, Steve.

How many may attend?

Sonny

chokonen888
03-13-2012, 09:39 PM
a long road trip for a class huh.
I'd take off in a heartbeat if it didn't mean loss of job. They been searching for any excuses to terminate us on higher end of $ scale here for several years. Matter of fact they have sliced off almost 75% of us. One cost them dearly in lawsuit as it was without basis - this would give them a basis so ..... it is what it is I guess. Unemployment in my field at my age is around 50% we figure so not a lot of options abound without a career change. Then it's the "why now" thing. So I stick it out:(

Haha, indeed but I'm used to it. I've been back and forth so many times lately I'm about to reach platinum status in my mileage program :cool: I basically took a cut in pay to have freedom 1 week per month (that's usually when I'm in the US) and it allows me to make extra income on the side as a buyer/agent as well travel. (and keep my work visa over here legit) Not exactly rolling in the money now but getting by with things are getting better and the freedom/travel keeps me from getting burnt out or too stressed.

What industry are you in that is so competitive?

Steve
03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi Sonny,

May just went up for sale so we have no idea yet...

That's my 11-month-old son wearing a diaper on his head. One of the pictures I will show to his prom date some day. ;)

Steve

mario kadu
03-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Hello all,

My name is Mario and my wife (Celianne) and I will be attending the May 2012 class. We presently live near San Diego but we own 10 acres in the Sierra foothills just outside of Georgetown Ca. We plan on building there in 24-36 months and are just starting to get things together. The pad has been graded, the well is in and power is on the edge of the property although we need a drop and meter installed. Also the septic system has been engineered but still needs to be built. So you can see we are part way there. While the land is heavily wooded we are reluctant to take our own trees and will most likely find a local source - one of the main industries in the area is logging. We are looking forward to the class and hope to learn enough to build a log home. Also we booked the cheapest room at Harrah's for 3 nights Friday-Sunday and with tax it came to $360. The rates are high all over town because it is Memorial Day weekend. There are much cheaper rooms in LV or you can get an upgraded room for the same price at Bally's but we figured the convenience of being in the same hotel as the class was worth the extra money. Getting excited and can't wait for the class.....

Bmetz34
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
https://tippr.com/offer/promotion-for-my-holiday-break-/?utm_campaign=660777&utm_content=main&utm_source=tippr&providerid=&utm_medium=email&provider=

Just got this email. Haven't checked the fine print yet, but I've booked TIPPR deals before and they've worked out. This is a 2 night 3 day stay for $59 total!! Hope someone can get some use out of it. We're leaving in 36 hours so it's too late for us!

Spitfire
03-15-2012, 07:36 PM
The fine print says you have to be a married or cohabiting couple, have a yearly combined household income of $50,000, go to an orientation when you arrive, be between the ages of 25 and 72 and not be attending a convention.

We'll probably be walking a mile over there from a cheap motel. :p

Matt F.
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
I just booked a trip to Vegas for myself and my girlfriend. We're booking the class tonight after work! I've been wanting to take this class since I first found the website back in 2004-ish. Finally able to make it happen!

-Matt

IwLam
03-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Hello everybody!
I am a newbie to this forum.
I have a question about this Log Home Course. Are non-US citizen/s eligible to attend this course?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

IwLam
03-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Hello everybody!
I am a newbie to this forum.
I have a question about this Log Home Course. Are non-US citizen/s eligible to attend this course?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Just to add in (didn't know how to edit).
After learning about this course, I am interested to join as well.
Thanks again.
Rickee

sdart
03-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi Rickee,
No one is going to check your passport when you arrive at the class ;) Seriously, a number of people from other countries have taken the class, so no problem. But I would assume that you'll need to pay in dollars.

jrdavis
03-17-2012, 07:09 AM
yes, Rickee.

We don't discriminate based on country of origin.
We've got Canadians and even a few British.

One guy is from South Africa, so come one, come all.

Welcome.-- and get signed up for the class notification.

JD

happyquilter
03-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Congrats to those taking the class. You will not regret it!

Some of us in previous classes stayed at the Imperial Palace, which is a sister hotel of Harrah's and connected by a skybridge. It is much cheaper. They bill themselves as the "non-resort" option, which is fine because you won't have time for a spa anyways. It is basic, functional, clean, and safe, but it can be really hard to find your room because it is built like a maze, lol. We had to do a two elevator transfer because no stairs or elevators connected the lobby to the floor we were on in a rear wing.

Also, for those wanting to save money on food - Go out the front door of Harrah's onto the strip and turn right on the sidewalk. Less than a block away is a food court with several low cost food options typically found in mall food courts.

IwLam
03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
A big thanks to both sdart & jrdavis.:)
I'd learned quite a lot about log home and would love to get my hands on building one.
Hope to attend a class at a later date.
Cheers!
Rickee

jrdavis
03-21-2012, 04:19 AM
IwLam --
No problem.
Now while you are waiting ---

Check out some of the pic and all the forums (you can get to) :)
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/image/tid/3
or just click the "Visit the LHBA website"
and then the Gallery button at the top.
Enjoy and ask lots of questions AFTER reading the threads.

JD

FishingAddict
03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Anyone know how many newb's there were at the class?
Bet they looking forward to the fun .....................

Bmetz34
03-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Hope everyone is excited about class coming up! We just attended the March one at Bally's and I'm sad it's over but so excited to get moving forward! FishingAddict, I think I counted 76 of us at one point. You'll have so much fun and learn a ton! Enjoy!

chokonen888
03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
76...wow, that's quite a mob =)

John G
03-22-2012, 05:57 AM
A lot of people indeed.

If these classes are held a couple of times a year, and there are ~75 people per class, how many people have taken the class over the years? Sounds like quite a lot.

Which begs another question: Just how many of these LHBA-style loghomes are out there?

Kick Forward
03-22-2012, 07:12 AM
John G, I believe someone else recently asked that. Ellsworth said there would be no way of guessing.

JeffandSara
03-22-2012, 08:19 AM
John G--

Kick Forward is correct, certainly about the latter question. Can't remember if Ellsworth has mentioned if there are any records on the numbers of people who took the class in all its different locations and versions over the years.

But it's important to remember... back in the days that the class was held at Skip's, there were clearly people who paid for the class primarily to get into Skip's house and "see the elephant". We had several in both classes my husband and I attended who obviously never had any intention of building. Also, we know a number of graduates who did fully intend to build, but had changes in their situations which kept them from it... just as we know folks who HAVE built who are not in actively involved with LHBA anymore.

Best-- Sara :)

John G
03-22-2012, 08:24 AM
People would pay for the class just to see the inside of Skip's house?

rreidnauer
03-22-2012, 09:36 AM
It is worth seeing!

It's an amazing structure, and I feel blessed that I was able to take the class when it was still being held there.

IwLam
03-22-2012, 10:05 AM
jrdavis,
Thanks again. Those are great and beautiful log homes!
I am sure enjoying them all, pictures and comments.
Cheers!
Rickee

JeffandSara
03-22-2012, 05:25 PM
John,

As Rod said, visiting Skip's house was a real experience, both because of the actual structure, and the whole "package" of house, furnishings, and Skip himself. Like Rod, Jeff and I feel very blessed to have taken the class when it was held at Skip's. I imagine Rod and we also agree that it was a privilege to have known Skip, as well. He was a very memorable guy and a good friend. We think Ellsworth and Steve are great guys, too. :)

Sara

jrdavis
03-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, to be truthfully honest, I wouldn't pay the current class price to see the house, but WOULD for a 1 week B&B stay..... :)

Skip was a great guy and has a great home.

Truly miss him.
be well.
JD

Mosseyme
03-24-2012, 09:06 PM
I believe someone said at the class we attended that some 40,000+ have attended the class since its begining.
Does anyone hear from Jane Doe, she was here, then she was gone.

Pokey
04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
since this bugger still has slots open ----- does that mean the chances of another one this fall are lessened?

edkemper
04-16-2012, 03:37 PM
In short, yes. However, look toward other 3 day weekends.

Pokey
04-16-2012, 06:27 PM
In short, yes. However, look toward other 3 day weekends.

If life was super simple and one has no accountablity to others/job/family/ et al I guess I see how the short notice thing can maybe work for them.
Suspect for many it's what maybe keeps us from ever getting onboard in the first place which is unfortunate.
I kinda got a mindset now of how long or what I will do within the windows of opportunity I have.
I hope it plays out the LHBA way as it's the one I think I want to do so time will tell. Thanks for info Ed

IwLam
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I am hoping there will be a class for the Veterans Day weekend.

edkemper
04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
If life was super simple and one has no accountablity to others/job/family/ et al I guess I see how the short notice thing can maybe work for them.

Pokey,

Keep in mind, most of us are either married or hooked up. All of us have faced the same uncertainty and challenges. As is through life, if it's important enough we find a way. Don't forget, making it even more difficult, we/I highly recommend you attend class with your other half. It needs to be a partnership with both on the same page.

Hang in there and I hope you read, read, read. The more you read on this site the more you'll get the idea that this isn't brain surgery. It's just a little appropriate knowledge and a lot of labor. What we end up with in the end is pretty unique and amazing. Especially if you do it debt free. That is a huge part of this site. We help you learn how.

I hope we get to know you and your family.

chokonen888
05-15-2012, 10:04 PM
haha, reading all this makes me thankful I'm not hitched...unless one of my friends in LA wants to join me or just share a hotel, I'm on my own (from Tokyo so don't think I've got it too easy) and staying at the cheapest motel available.

andrew mason
05-16-2012, 09:10 AM
hey gus, i have not been on here in a while, was stuck over in the sand box,
but now i am signed up for this upcoming class and i cannot wait!

is anyone trying to geet a "room mate" for vegas, i do not yet have any
plans fo where i wan to stay, as long it is not TOO far from where we are having the class.

edkemper
05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
andrew,

Welcome and thanks for your service. Glad to have you home.

Tom Featherstone
05-23-2012, 01:36 AM
A Pre Welcome to our newest members!

This has been a very quite upcoming class compared to the last few maybe you all be a little more vocal after class. After class and after you receive full membership check into the Member Section "New Member Check In" thread. A thread to catch your thoughts after class and maybe to reintroduce yourself in the secure Members section if you were so concerned about info in the public forum.

Congratulations to All of you for taking this step. Looking forward to your contributions to LHBA and to seeing you all on the members side soon!

Tom

mario kadu
05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
I can’t speak for any one else in the class but as for being quite – well I’ve never been accused of that – lol - but honestly I am overwhelmed by the generosity of LHBA members – the information provided in the ‘public’ sections is nothing short of awesome. While I had lots of questions, by reading the 1st 17+ pages of threads on the General Discussion section and a good chunk of the Solar Energy and General Construction sections nearly every question I could think of was addressed and of course the ones that were not were always referenced in either “you’ll get that in the class” or “once you are on the other side…LHBA members will be happy to provide you with that information!”

Both Celianne and I are excited about the class this week-end and will be driving to LV tomorrow.

Again I don’t have the words to thank the Web Masters enough. I’ve never seen such a thorough and well designed web site. The information you guys give and the design of the site really makes it redundant to ask many questions. As I already said, if one spends a bit of time reading everything general has been addressed already. And again, thank you! Thank you! To those of you who patiently respond to our questions and also provide your personal photos of your home building process.

Best regards,

Mario R.

BoFuller
05-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Wow, it's been a year already. Sometimes it seems like yesterday and sometimes it seems years ago. Pay attention and learn all you can. You're starting a great adventure.

Cruiser
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Enjoy the class! Some of the best money I have ever spent and the benefits go well beyond just learning how to build your own home. You will come out of the class re-thinking a lot of things and the opportunity to meet like minded folks and make some great new friends!

Jim McKenzie
05-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I have to tell you that today, the day before my flight from Cape Cod to Vegas, that I have a Mr Toad's Wild Ride of emotions: I am very excited to go to Vegas (never been before, and have a business card with a series of numbers friends have asked me to play on a roulette wheel :) ) and extremely happy to take the plunge and have a great opportunity to learn. I am well pleased that it's not something else in life I managed to put off until another day. I do have a small degree of buyer's remorse, a feeling that as a mid-lfe (59 and planning on living to 108) IT guy who's never even built a backyard deck that I'm already over my head. But, I won't really know... will I? ... until I go.

So I'm going...I have an Open Mind with little or no preconceptions other than the Jim that's flying back is going to be a lot smarter about this than the Jim that's flying out.

See you there :)

Jim McKenzie
05-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I have to tell you that today, the day before my flight from Cape Cod to Vegas, that I have a Mr Toad's Wild Ride of emotions: I am very excited to go to Vegas (never been before, and have a business card with a series of numbers friends have asked me to play on a roulette wheel :) ) and extremely happy to take the plunge and have a great opportunity to learn. I am well pleased that it's not something else in life I managed to put off until another day. I do have a small degree of buyer's remorse, a feeling that as a mid-lfe (59 and planning on living to 108) IT guy who's never even built a backyard deck that I'm already over my head. But, I won't really know... will I? ... until I go.

So I'm going...I have an Open Mind with little or no preconceptions other than the Jim that's flying back is going to be a lot smarter about this than the Jim that's flying out.

See you there :)

JeffandSara
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi, Jim--

Vegas isn't much crazier than Cape Cod in August, though the lights are brighter. :D

Have a safe flight and enjoy the class. It definitely changed our outlook... in a good way!

See you on the members' side. :)

Sara

Spitfire
05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
This has been a very quite upcoming class compared to the last few maybe you all be a little more vocal after class.

We're all too busy preparing!

ny_log_home_dreamer
05-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Hey Jim,
I too an a fellow IT guy. I feel much the same way you do. Excited, anxious about whether I can really pull off building a log home. My trip in Vegas will be short. I will be flying out Plattsburgh, NY --> Boston --> Charlotte --> Vegas. 2 full days of more knowledge than any one person can remember and then flying out at 12:10 AM Monday morning. I have gone round and round with my thinking about this trip. Did I sign up in haste, boy that's a lot of money, 4 days away from my precious wife and beautiful two year old daughter. Vegas -- not sure I would go there for anything but this class. I just keep telling myself, once I'm on the plane there's no turning back. I too am a little concerned about being in a big city considering I live in the Adirondacks where sprawling forest and huge mountains hem you in and make you feel cozy. :) Well here it goes. Less than 2 hours before I need to be to the airport. See you in Vegas!

Bill LaCrosse
05-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Ny Log Home Dreamer

When you are done with the class come see a few in progress...I am about to begin chinking...please pay close attention I may have questions for you...lol ENJOY!!
Bill

loghousenut
05-25-2012, 11:30 AM
I feel like a Mom sending her twins off to kindergarten... They're so darned cute at this stage!

I can't wait to watch them blossom on the other side.

Gomer
05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
I feel like a Mom sending her twins off to kindergarten... .

Somehow in my mind watching you nurse the twins makes me wanna shutter the windows, lock the doors and grab a Bible and start praying like never before :o

chokonen888
05-25-2012, 11:09 PM
I feel like a Mom sending her twins off to kindergarten... They're so darned cute at this stage!

I can't wait to watch them blossom on the other side.

...and what am I? Your foreign exchange student? ;)

A bit jetlagged and tired from driving the smallest, ugliest, rental car I've ever been stuck with through some crazy winds but I made it from the land of the rising sun to the city of the sin when there is no sun.

rreidnauer
05-26-2012, 04:54 PM
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas................................Thank God.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

chokonen888
05-27-2012, 12:14 AM
I think the class hours are keeping me out of trouble :(

loghousenut
05-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Don't sass the teacher and come straight home after class. I'll have supper waiting for you.

chokonen888
05-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Unfortunately the teachers were sassed....I hate those Japanese split AC units hahaha. I was looking forward to getting away from them because that is all we have in Japan and it sucks walking from one room to another when it's hot or cold outside.

chokonen888
05-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Andrew, where are you? PM me! I still owe yah for lunch!

FishingAddict
05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
So boys and girls - how many of ya there?????

BenB
05-29-2012, 05:20 PM

This time round I don't think it was full-up. Don't know what they were shooting for?
Maybe they all got a case of them there hangy-a-overs things ;)

Have not seen a post yet which is kinda odd as in past there always a few telling a tale or two. I'll looky back in next week and see if anyone is alive

swmo Rebar Driver
05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
I had a great time in class. I tried to absorb as much as possible, but I'm almost tempted to take it again just to see how much I missed. There were some empty chairs, and that surprised me. I didn't try to count how many were there, but I did meet some great people.

loghousenut
05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I had a great time in class. I tried to absorb as much as possible, but I'm almost tempted to take it again just to see how much I missed. There were some empty chairs, and that surprised me. I didn't try to count how many were there, but I did meet some great people.

Single White Male Occasional Rebar Driver,

Empty chairs... You must have been in the daytime class. The night shift instructors teach in the nude and the class fills up to the gunnels.

I took the class three times from Skip and forced a different friend to go with me each time. What I learned the second and third time was that Skip taught the same stuff each time. I woulda tried the night class but I have a sleeping disorder.

Welcome home!

John W
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Next month's nightshift guest instructors are: Brooke Burke, Selma Hayek and Mila Kunis.

Wonder how much we could charge? :)

FishingAddict
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM

So did they throw you all in a cage?
Yo lads and lasses ---- anyone make it back? This by far is the most silent class of newbs ever ------ I'm fretting LHN ate you or something. :(

andrew mason
05-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Next month's nightshift guest instructors are: Brooke Burke, Selma Hayek and Mila Kunis.

Wonder how much we could charge? :)
I'd sign up in a heart beat!!! I don't care what it cost

loghousenut
05-31-2012, 04:36 PM
I'd sign up in a heart beat!!! I don't care what it cost

I'm in for the evening refresher course.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk 2

Grant
05-31-2012, 10:23 PM
My wife and I attended the class and celebrated our 40th anniversary on the 28th which was only about 11 1/2 hours of class. Not exactly what I had in mind....but I don't think I have had more information presented in such a clear and precise manner and I would definately do it again....no questions asked. Steve and Ellsworth are great instructors. There was a good exchange of information from the class members as well. We were just a heartbeat from buying a kit and then I ran across this site about 3 weeks ago, so glad I did. Life usually throws me a curve ball and I would have found this site about 3 weeks after the kit was built....whew!!! Dodged a bullet.

Mosseyme
06-01-2012, 04:53 AM
Grant
Welcome. Funny how things happen. We found this site about a month before the may class 2 years ago. It was the last class in Wa and one of a very few weekday classes (we can't do weekends) and we had already started cutting logs to do a diy d log thing. We decided to take a trip to WA for our 40th
aniversary

WornOut
06-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Where are the new kids? No thoughts or comments from them anywhere. Not the usual patterns of yesteryears newbies. That casino capture them and took all they had and interent was cut for non-payment? lol

loghousenut
06-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Most of them are posting on the member's side. Take the class and we'll let you read it. hhahhaa.

Matt F.
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
We were a pretty quiet group in class, too! But it was a great group - older, younger, guys, gals, couples, singles. All with a huge span of experiences. Aside from loving log homes, we all loved the cookies, too!!

Matt F.
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
There was a woman that came without her husband. She said, " My husband reads the books. I build the bookshelf!" She was cool. I didn't get the chance to talk to her myself, but it was easy to tell that she was a "pissah", as they say in my neck of the woods! Her log home is going to be cool.

Are you on the forum, bookshelf lady?

WornOut
06-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Most of them are posting on the member's side. Take the class and we'll let you read it. hhahhaa.

imagine if I feel value I will .... the feedback always seems to be the same ones so hard to gauge. I get excited and then pull back thinking we talking better than 2Gs total and not totally sold I guess.
No disrepect meant but the take the class thing doesn't always sell us all I know when it's the same people throwing it out there all the time

edkemper
06-01-2012, 03:17 PM
wornout,

> No disrepect meant but the take the class thing doesn't always sell us all I know when it's the same people throwing it out there all the time

Out of curiosity, what would "sell" you?

clarson
06-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Wornout - I just came back from the class, so i am a newb and all........I was very nervous about spending that kind of money on a two day class. It far exceeded my expectations and I am confident I can build a b&p log home. It was well worth it in my humble opinion if that counts for anything.

happyquilter
06-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Wornout,

I'm a newbie too. we just took the class in January. I definitely feel it was worth the money for both my husband and I to attend. We are not super handy people and have no construction experience, yet we feel very confident that we can build our own log home as owner-builders the LHBA way. I also feel we learned many "tips" that will save us lots of money down the road and more than pay for the class. The class helped us with our property search too. In addition to the instruction, you will receive a very thick notebook chock full of useful details and notes. Attending the class is the only way to become a LHBA member and have access to the member side of the forum which contains an unlimited wealth of help and information. There is almost no way to understand it until you experience it, but the LHBA members are the most generous helpful people you could ever wish to know, and they will support and encourage you every step of the way toward your dream.

Don't forget that the tuition is guaranteed refundable if you are not 100% satisfied with the class. In every dealing I have had with the LHBA organization, they have proven themselves to be honest and forthright. There has never even been a hint of any kind of scam or ripoff. Everything is above-board and value-oriented. These guys have basically dedicated their lives to helping ordinary people fulfull the dream of owning their own home debt-free and attaining self-sufficiency. That is what it is really all about.

I guess at some point if you have a dream you just have to take a leap of faith and get started!

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide.

Shari

BoFuller
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Wornout - I just came back from the class, so i am a newb and all........I was very nervous about spending that kind of money on a two day class. It far exceeded my expectations and I am confident I can build a b&p log home. It was well worth it in my humble opinion if that counts for anything.

Welcome! I took the class a year ago May, so I'm probably a newb too! Best money ever spent, although My bro LHN will swear I slept through the part about getting tools from Craigslist. Keep us posted on your progress.

Matt F.
06-04-2012, 06:52 AM
imagine if I feel value I will .... the feedback always seems to be the same ones so hard to gauge. I get excited and then pull back thinking we talking better than 2Gs total and not totally sold I guess.
No disrepect meant but the take the class thing doesn't always sell us all I know when it's the same people throwing it out there all the time

Hi WornOut,

I just took the class a week ago. I had thought about the class, wondering what they teach, looked at all the student pics, etc., and was finally able to take the class. Here's my take on it:

1) The instructors teach a very specific method to build a very specific type of house - Skip-style Butt and Pass. They claim this is the best method for various reasons (all explained in class). They don't claim it's the best method because it's the one they teach, they teach this method because they are convinced it is the best.

2) The Skip-style Butt and Pass house is fantastic on it's own. But if it's not 100% your cup of tea, the class explains common changes people make, common additions people add on, etc. This allows you to personalize your own house as much as you would like.

3) For those that have no/little experience building things (especially houses), the class takes the ignorant mystery out of the whole thing. The steps are explained. It all makes sense. The instructors do a great job showing how simple the process can be. Don't mistake simple for easy. There's a lot of hard work that will need to put into your house.

4) For those that have a good deal of experience, the class does a great job of teaching the unique qualities of building with logs, and certain road blocks you might encounter. There were a lot of "ah ha!" and "of course!" moments for me during the class.

5) If you have never built a house (frame to finish) before, there are some topics that the class touches on, but can't fully dive into (it's only 24 hours of class). The meat of the course is building with logs, not roofing, finish work, drywall, etc. If you are going to do everything yourself, there are several good books that you can get on Amazon that will get you all the info you could ever need. Some of these books are mentioned in class.

6) I believe there is a money back guarantee for the class. Obviously, this won't repay your travel expenses. So, why not schedule an extra day or two in Vegas and have a small vacation? Then, at the very least, you'll have a couple fun days.

7) If you are planning to build a house, I would suggest becoming informed about several different types of building - stick framed, timber framed, log home, icf house, etc. Then decide what you want to build. This class is about education. All of the information I found from various kit home websites was about propaganda and advertising. From spending time on the forum, and taking the class, I can assure you that LHBA is not a scam or a cult. The instructors and students are real people that want to build real homes out of real logs. It's pretty cool.

That's my take on it. And a few more words than "just take the class"

-Matt

blane
06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Worn Out.... Here is our story. We wanted a simpler country lifestyle to raise our family and we looked into a kit log home and the price was way more than I could afford, since we are committed to being debt free. One day my wife came across the LHBA web site while researching log homes and showed it to me. I was skeptical myself at first but I kept reading and before long I was sold. I have never built anything before other than re roofing a house with the help of an experienced roofer and a few sorry attempts at building a couple of decks. Now we are almost finished with the exterior of our own log home that my son and I have built with the help of some members and church family. You are welcome to read through our blog and get more of our story and see some photos of our place.
We have done all this thanks to the class and the forum, so with a new person saying take the class I hope this will convince you.

edkemper
06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Matt,

> 6) I believe there is a money back guarantee for the class. Obviously, this won't repay your travel expenses. So, why not schedule an extra day or two in Vegas and have a small vacation? Then, at the very least, you'll have a couple fun days.

If this is an option, I might recommend enjoying that vacation a couple of days BEFORE the class. Not sure how much I'd have enjoyed "relaxing" after taking the class. I think most want to get home and start planning and learning. Know what I mean?

ny_log_home_dreamer
06-07-2012, 07:23 AM
I too was skeptical about spending $2000, but in the grand scheem of things, let's look at it this way.

* $2000 for me is about 1/5 of the cost of a basement of slab foundation for where I am building... northern, and I mean northern, NY
* $2000 is small price to pay to find out you are $16000 in to a $50,000 build and realize this is not for you
* $2000 is the cost of one semester of college at a state school in NY
* $2000 is worth knowing if this building style is for you are not
* $2000 is worth knowing what to look out for if you are looking to purchase a kit home - in class you will learn things about kits that will easily make you glad
you spent the $2000 to take the class
* $2000 yeah for me it was money that I didn't have lying around for a rainy day, but I am sure glad I went to the class, because it solidified for me that I can
build this style of log home - I have done most of the general balloon framing aspects of building, so knowing how to build with logs and the techniques going
with it were definitely worth the time and money spent

If you still have doubts continue to read EVERYTHING on this side of the fence. I spent a month before I went to the class (5/26 and 5/27 2012) reading that last 3 years worth of posts. Between reading all of those posts and speaking with my wife, who is totally on board with me on this, I decided to take the class.

Good luck with your decision!!

GreenEyes
06-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Grant, how cool that you & your wife celebrated your anniversary by taking the class! My husband & I took the class last year on our 18th anniversary (June 4-5, 2011). Since our anniversary was the first day of class, we went out to eat the night before to celebrate. Hope you enjoyed the class as much as we did. It was a great gift to ourselves!

Can't believe it has been a year already. We bought the plans package after we got back to Alabama, paid off our mortgage last August, and hope we can start building in the next year or 2. We are already on our land, in a manufactured home that is falling apart. We figured when we bought it almost 8 years ago that the home would work for a while, but we loved the land. Just 3 acres, mostly wooded, but we've enjoyed being out in the country. Unfortunately, there aren't enough large trees to build a home, so we'll probably need to get our trees elsewhere. Looking forward to having a sturdy, energy-efficient home that doesn't cost so much to cool!

Welcome to all the new members!

GreenEyes
06-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Wornout & Blane, we (actually I) actually stumbled across the LHBA website in the summer of 2004 when we were house-hunting and getting ready to buy. I e-mailed a link to my husband. We ended up buying this place in September 2004. Late 2010 or early 2011, I was going through my old e-mails and found the info again. I clicked the link and it still worked. I e-mailed my husband and said, "The link still works, and this still looks cool!" It had always been our intention to build a house after we paid the manufactured home and land off.

I am pretty tight with money, and was hesitant to spend the money it would take to get us to Las Vegas. I did not see airfare and/or hotel packages that I thought were "cheap" anywhere. It sounded like a lot of money to me. BUT after we took the class, and even a year later, I will tell anyone that it was money well spent. As a matter of fact, my dad retired from his job in November. He has experience building, and has built many things from Vacation Bible School props to cabinets, to helping his brothers and dad build houses. If my dad is still around and able to help us when we get close to building, I'm wondering if it might be worth our while to pay to send him (and maybe my husband again) to the class just so he understands what we're doing.

My husband is an IT guy, too, but has done lots of repair and a little remodeling on the 2 homes we've lived in these past 19 years. But he has never built a house. After taking the class, I'm confident that this IS something we can do. Scott (I think his name is verbdude on here) studied the public forum threads for months before we came to the class, and I'm sure that helped him to understand the class even better. There is a LOT of really good info on here, even on the "free" side, and the member side is even better.

Blane, we've enjoyed watching your progress! Hope you are able to spend Christmas in your new home.

loghousenut
06-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Greeneyes,

Most of the Country would think that you folks are NUTS! I think you're doing it the right way. Hopefully you're trailer is not as ugly as the ugly trailer we live in, but hopefully it serves you as well as ours has served us. You have found a way to build your own home with your own hands and bypass that pesky 30 year mortgage. You already know that you can do it. You'll love it.

Twenty years from now you'll have friends that are still living in an apartment in town... Pity.

blane
06-09-2012, 06:19 PM
GreenEyes,

Your story sounds familiar. Lots of crazy people in this community. LHN I think I win the prize for the ugliest trailer though. I am just hoping it holds up till we can get in the house. No time to fix up the ugly trailer since I am trying to put all my time, energy and money in the log home.

BenB
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
GreenEyes,

Your story sounds familiar. Lots of crazy people in this community. LHN I think I win the prize for the ugliest trailer though. I am just hoping it holds up till we can get in the house. No time to fix up the ugly trailer since I am trying to put all my time, energy and money in the log home.

Looking mighty nice Blane - and mighty big. You are on a mission there .... you'll get it done.

What size is the footprint? I for some reason was thinking you were building smaller. Age does that you know ... :(

blane
06-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Ben,
Thanks for the encouragement. The footprint is 35x35 2300 square feet 2.5 bath and 4 bedrooms.

Jane Doe
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
@ Mosseyme: I'm here, I'm here! Haven't disappeared. Just busy, which is a good thing! I was rereading some past threads and had to chuckle because I was 'warned' that building a log home would likely consume my time for many years. And it has!

I took the January 2012 class and now it's August and it's been land hunting and research and learning and more research. Currently searching for logs and will hopefully have them to start building by the spring. I'll likely start a bloggity blog when the time comes so folks who are interested can follow the progress.

Thanks for asking about me, yo! So cool to see all the new members, too!

Jane