PDA

View Full Version : Models ?

FishingAddict
03-01-2012, 08:12 AM
How many of you actually used a model in your design process or did most just buy the plans after class?
I'm looking out at a landscape of snow and hard to envision building anything outside right now. lol
I kind of am thinking of playing with pretend logs might be a way to survive this mess. Dowels are kind of expensive so toying with just whitting down some branches and using them.

You ideas are appreciated - and sure hoping to catch a summer class this year if it happens !

panderson03
03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Dowels are what we used:)

jrdavis
03-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I got my dowels....
now I just have to put them together in a house format

coming up.

sdart
03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Whittling down some branches would give you a more realistic idea of building with tapering-and-not-always-that-straight logs, if you have the time to do it. Building a model is very useful and will help you avoid at least some of the mistakes everyone is bound to make.

Have fun!

Basil
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
carrots were suggested by skip, just use toothpicks to hold them together. Of course, it won't last very long but helps you learn to build using objects that taper.

FishingAddict
03-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Carrots ! Like that except here they cost as much as dowels this time of year. Be nice to keep it around for awhile also.
I hate to spend $80 on dowels since I see them as a one time use after I cut them to size.
Like the taper that a stick may bring to it. And cost of this manner.

Scale of 1/2" to a foot seem about right or something different that you like better? Maybe drill a tiny hole, use brags or tootpicks and pin them together make sense?
I'm open to all ideas and need to get outside on my snowshoes and get some air and excersize before I go nuts. Apprectiate your comments and ideas very much everyone!

edkemper
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Fish,

Think of the expense of the dowels like insurance. The $80 bucks is a lot cheaper than the cost of mistakes you could easily make in the actual build. Also could help in getting your permits and inspections.

FishingAddict
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Fish,

Think of the expense of the dowels like insurance. The $80 bucks is a lot cheaper than the cost of mistakes you could easily make in the actual build. Also could help in getting your permits and inspections.

if I gotta use a model to help me pull a permit or assist in an inspection I bets hang it up now. :)
One thing I know in this county is while its in nowhere land they not real friendly with a non-GC. Been there and done it on several other things. The chap has
God Squad tatooed on his forehead. He's know as the "jerk" by all, including the GCs. So he is one we play around I guess, especially on a log build

ChainsawGrandpa
03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
I made my dowels. The latest model was around $35.00 but a very nice model with all the necessary details can be built for much less than that.

G'pa

rocklock
03-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Models are what you make of them just like most everything else.
Models are not easy, but if you don't have plans, they are a necessity. IF YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING UNUSUAL, THEY ARE NECESSARY.
If you don't understand something, build a model. I have built 2 log structures, and 4 models. I should have built more...
Look at rods amazing models... way too much time on his hands...
Include major stuff like stairs, halls, walkways, walls and the like...

FishingAddict
03-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks for feedback - I spent the better part of a day snipping off smaller bramches/limbs and half of yesterday whittling them down to a somewhat to scale size .... 1/2" to a foot is what I plan on using unless I dedicate a large table to a 1" to a foot. Might look more authentic that big I guess but a lot of real estate for the footprint.
A small drill bit, brads or toothpicks to pin them seems like a plan that would work.
Love to get serious in detail like Rod did but it will be really open floorplan except the bathroom, downstairs bedroom and a mud room and other than the permanency of water/sewer lines I like the option to move things around somewhat.
If they have the class over holiday I think it's doable to make. Sure hoping I can - hate to think I have to hold off again until the fall or later

rreidnauer
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
It's been eating me ever since I got an idea from seeing something on here, to build another model, but I just don't see it happening with so much other stuff that needs to be done. It would put my previous model to shame.

Maybe once the real house is done.

edkemper
03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Rod,

Judging from the work we've already seen of yours, you'd probably build the first model that could pass final inspection and qualify for a mortgage. But that's just a hunch. <smile>

loghousenut
03-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Rod has his GI Joe CO.

chokonen888
03-13-2012, 09:47 PM
http://www.retroplanet.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Lincoln-Logs.jpg

chokonen888
03-13-2012, 09:49 PM
(yes, you should be laughing)