PDA

View Full Version : Logging Your Land for Building a Log Home

HouseCat
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi folks. I'm new to the forums. My husband and I are both about to retire from the USAF and move back to Northern Idaho where we have 10 acres of land. It has hundreds of huge cedar trees on it. We'd like to log the land and use that timber to make a log home. Unfortunately, we have no idea where to start planning all of this. Seems like the log-home kit companies are out to take your money, so we've stopped looking at their websites and brochures. It irritates me that for a decent plan/kit, we'd have to shell out so much money, THEN turn around and pay a contractor to build it for us.

Being that we know so little about this process (if there is one), I am very paranoid about getting scammed or taken to the bank. I've read & heard so many horror stories about people like me getting ripped off, that I don't know what the best course of action should be. Have any of you used timber from your own land to build a house? If so, did you log it yourself, or get someone else to do it?
Should we start with a contractor, or logging company?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Timberwolf
02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
It is ususally recommended that you find a good logger and hire out this work. Even if it's only getting the trees to the ground and you take it from there. I've spent time out in the woods with the loggers while they were cutting the logs for my house. Logging can be insanely dangerous work and is best left to the pros.

However, there are people who have done it, are currently doing it, and admittedly, I would do it given the opportunity.

rocklock
02-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I had to clear enough land to build my home. I hired a guy to clear the land and cut a pad into the land. It is best to see my video to get some appreciation of the effort. I acquired 23 logs from my land. I had to purchase 51 more. I used 63 logs...

It is best to hire a logger and other very difficult tasks unless your young and fit. I am currently 68 and trying to get fitter.

Cedar is not the greatest for structural log home members. Douglas Fir is much better. I used Cedar logs for my front porch because they are exposed to the weather.

Having your own land and probably enough trees to build a great log home, what you really need is some knowledge, concepts and a little motivation. All of the above are supplied in abundance in the LHBA 2 day class...

spiralsands
02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I have 23.5 acres of land in Central NY that is approximately 70% forest. I do plan to log my own trees to build my house. They are big enough, tall enough and straight enough. I will be hiring a logger to cut and skid them to the front pasture where I plan to build.

Frances

rkissinger
02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I am building with logs harvested from my land. I hired a logger to fall and skid the trees for me. It was expensive, but money well spent. I am young and fit, and my logger was quite a bit older than me (60ish), but I have no doubt that the work he could do in a day would have taken me a week. Plus there's no price you can place on being safe and sound and letting the pros handle what the know best. Logging is the most dangerous job there is. As far as knowing how to build, if you take the class you will have all the confidence you need to go forward, the forum will have the answers to any questions that come up later. I wouldn't do anything until you take the class, you might make some costly mistakes from the start. Rest easy, you are now on the right track.

loghousenut
02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
You have taken the first step. You found this forum. Second step... Read, read, read. Third step... Take the class.

My Son and I logged our own logs but that doesn't matter to you two right now. What matters to you folks is that you feel it in your guts that you don't want to spend your life's savings as well as your future on a mortgage for a kit house. You already know that you want to build your own log home with your own hands. Read as much as you can find on the non-member side of this forum. Then take the class.

Nobody has built a LHBA log home without figuring out where the logs will come from. Class will get it all going for you.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Rafters9-2010220.jpg

Mosseyme
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Some people log there own land but they have to be a little bit crazy. Found out yesterday a long time friend was taking down a dead tree on his place. It came apart and crushed him pretty bad. Punctured lung, broke.ribs, broke back. Was having rods put in his back yesterday. There are much better was to get your logs as LHN says. Meanwhile back at the farm.

panderson03
02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Ms. Mossey, our thoughts and prayers are with your friend. work safely out there, everyone!!!

lisaandmark
02-25-2012, 08:13 AM
We did our own logging, but we were young a stupid. I would NOT recommend it unless you know what you are doing. We did hire a logging trucker to haul them out for us -- they have a big claw thing on their truck that can move the logs around pretty easily. #1 recommendation? TAKE THE CLASS (yes I am shouting) -- it will be the best investment you will ever make. Knowledge is power. If you really want to do this yourself take the class. Heck even if you are bound and determined to use a kit home, take the class. That way you can avoid getting scammed.

We've done both: log and conventional ourselves and what was learned in class was invaluable even in a conventional build situation . . .

merc66rkm
02-25-2012, 08:30 AM
we plan on getting most of our logs from our property and my grandfather's place just down the road. Just need to do some measuring and counting to make sure we'll have enough, then figure out how to get them to the future build site. We have Doug Fir and Larch mostly. Good Luck! Housecat, What part of N. Idaho?

Zetmandu
02-26-2012, 04:09 PM
I am in the process of doing just as you mentioned. However as others have also said, its dangerous stuff especially if one has had no real previous experience in this stuff. So far Ive been very lucky with nothing major happening but Im not done yet either. The only part of it I have hired out so far is for someone to actually cut the tree down for me, so that has removed some of the danger. Even though I have them cut it down, down is a relative term as sometimes they get stuck halfway down and not always just laying on the ground ready for me to limb and skid out. Its tough back breaking work but something that Im also enjoying. I havent been able to do a good deal of it over the winter due to my travel schedule with work and alot of rain keeping the ground too wet to do much skidding. So if you are in a hurry, this is not the route, but on the other hand if you have more time than money, it could be the way to go. Just be careful!!

happyquilter
02-27-2012, 07:45 AM
I agree with everyone who says "Take the class!" We took it last month and it was extremely valuable. It is amazing how much information can be jammed into two 12 hr days. You will receive a big, very detailed notebook as well. In addition, taking the class allows you to buy stock house plans at an amazing price if you so desire. That alone is worth it. And you will be able to access the members side of the forum, where there is unlimited advice and encouragement.

I know you are cautious of being ripped off, but I can assure you that the LHBA is a very down-to-earth, value-oriented organization with a driving interest in helping other people acheive financial independence through debt-free home building. They are quality people and I cannot recommend them enough. I think your dreams would mesh perfectly with the LHBA method of building your own home.

Best wishes,

Shari

hammerhead 67
03-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I hated all the "take the class" posts. Im cheap and have been around construction most of my life. Figured I could build a log home without the class but after 232453234 questions, I finally decided to splurge on a trip to Vegas for the WIFE to take the class. :rolleyes: I was just along for the ride.

I probably could have built a log home without the class. The most expensive, crooked, poorly done, never get anything finished log home ever built. I figure the class has saved me $50,000 out of the gate and we haven't even inked the land deal yet. It has also taught me a TON of new ideas about construction, moving heavy stuff, and safety. I actually used some techniques from class today installing a big heavy beam in a house we are renovating.

So, if you are worried about the class being a rip off, its not. Worth every penny.

rreidnauer
03-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Great testament Hammer, though you forgot about that one other question you asked. :rolleyes:

blane
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I have never considered myself a builder and still don't since this is my first attempt at a house. My son and I took the class together and are building our house together. Best money I ever spent. Here is the latest post from my sons blog and you can read through the "family" blog to see that you can do it and it is not a scam.
http://blanejr.blogspot.com/2012/03/almost-floor.html

happyquilter
03-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I just wanted to add that before we took the class I had sketched out our desired floorplan. In class the instructor pointed out all the expensive design "mistakes" that most people make. I had made just about every one of them, lol. The class also teaches you how to procure free/cheap stuff, including free logs.

hammerhead 67
03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Happy Quilter..... Forgot about my "best design ideas in the world and coolest floor plan ever! "

Scrapped all those and did a small mod to the stock 35x35 floor plan to accommodate a powder room on the 1st floor.

Scrapping my "best design in the world" plans after taking the class probably saved me another $20,000 in expensive design ideas that would have been a nightmare to engineer and build.

What is really kind of cool is by limiting ourselves to a 98% stock plan, we had to be creative with our finish work. Instead of paying full retail for pricy finishes, my wife has a pintrest account with tons of amazing photos of beautiful features we will be emulating in our home. Its going to take longer to add all those artistic treatments but it will have our tastes and touches stamped all over the house. I can't wait to get my Alaskan sawmill and start cutting slabs to use building tables and a special entryway floor detail.

Mosseyme
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Cutting your own logs to build your log home. ummm. There are a lot of reasons not to do your own logging. Today the reason was, that 120' tree. Cut one tree maybe 100' that hung up on a couple of others because it went slightly left of desired point. So it is standing there nice and solid against those trees. Next the 120' one. 90% of the considerable number of large limbs are on the up hill side plus it is leaning that way. No way to get it to go down the hill toward the creek where it would be easiest to drag out.
Nice big wedge, nice back cut going well, lots of movement in the tree but surprisingly balanced, cut is opening up nicely to fall just where aimed up the hill. Crack, sudden movement other direction, falling, The tree hits the hung tree that is 25' feet away, the 30" butt end of the falling tree goes airborne 20-25' then slides down the first tree landing 20' down the mountain and 10' to the right of the stump. Top hit the big triple stump down the hill and broke at 80' with another break back up at 50' Remember this is all happening 125' up a 45-50 degree slope above the creek. The good news is the log is excactly where we would have put it given a choice. It will take us most of a day just to winch it down the mountain and down the creek as it is. Your mileage might be different should you decide to do your own logging. Ha, Ha, This kind of thing is why the LHBA highly recommends and really almost forbid doing your own logging. Remember, logging is alway ranked as #1 or#2 of the most dangerous jobs on the planet and that is for professionals.

edkemper
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Mosseyme,

It doesn't escape notice that it doesn't matter what dangerous endeavor we talk about, most of the time, it's more dangerous to drive to and from that work than the work itself.

No one can argue that fighting in a war is dangerous. Yet during the first gulf war, more deployed soldiers would have died if they had stayed at home here in the states than over there fighting the war.

Tree falling is dangerous. But is it more dangerous than building our homes with 1000+# logs? Only if something happens to you. Know what I mean? When money is limited, we do what we have to do to try to realize our dreams.

I hope I don't have to fall my own trees. But if I do, I hope I can be smart enough to keep myself safe. I also hope I can build my home safely.

I'm glad you remain safe and healthy. You also impressed the h_ll out of me.

My best and be safe.

loghousenut
03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Mr. and Mrs. Mossey,

I can imagine what that day was like. You impress me also.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20logs/Logging/House3-23-09-3-26-09070.jpg

Mosseyme
03-12-2012, 04:23 PM
That would not be me felling the tree. I'm the one watching and praying. No way would we be doing this if they werent dying. If we don't cut them down we and our grandchildren would have to stay out of the woods. We have heard a couple big ones come down while we were out there. Not a good feeling. LHN, THAT IS IMPRESSIVE. I have a similar video of G in just that kind of thing. He can run much faster than I.

lynncherl
03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Wow LHN--don't know if even the camera person is safe on that hang-up! Look at the stress, man (or is it strain, Peter the Stressman?) on those dozen or so soon-to-be fence posts.
Housecat: Even if I were going to buy one of those beautiful kit homes, the stuff you learn in the LHBA class & forums are invaluable. For example, I wouldn't touch a Swedish Cope home without tight-pinning it the LHBA way.

Lynn

FishingAddict
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Lynn - helping a fam member build one a cope last year and it was tighter than tight with it pinned maybe every 3' or so, but they did use permachink as a better safe than sorry precaution between logs. Looked kin of funny - the chink line was more like a broad tipped magic marker line. They contrasted the color with the stain which IMO was maybe wrong as they could have matched it and it would be almost a no-see-um.

LHN - you one crazy guy. Hope to get to the other side so I can drop in on you someday and see all these bent twigs;)

panderson03
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey FishingAddict, take the class so you can come help us build. if you're in N WI, you can't be more than 4 hours away from us in N MN :)

smithme2
03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
I have 60 acres of hardwood forest in upstate NY. I don't have good logs for walls, which I bought from a guy who logs his land nearby, but I do have a bunch of Ash trees which are on death row due to the beatle. I logged around 30 trees from which I cut my rafters and some dimensional lumber on my woodmizer. I had planned to hire the guy I bought my logs from to fell the trees and then I'd pull them out with my tractor and mill them. But I couldn't resist the temptation and took them all down myself. I was fortunate not to have had any safety incidents or close calls. I did have some fall in places I didn't plan. I am very tuned into heeding the safety instructions and ensuring that the helpers stay way back. As I burn wood, I now have a couple years of nice firewood stock piled.

lynncherl
03-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Housecat: This was a great thread you started--what happened, did we lose you? Looking forward to some new NI neighbors!

Lynn