PDA

View Full Version : Questions...

machra80
02-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi all

Hi have read the website, seen the photos, read many of the forum posts (realize these are just for guests and there is a lot more in the members area)

My wife and I hope to find land in NW Montana and build a home there. We won't be ready to move there (from WI) for another year or so... Are there any members in the Kalispell area? Also, we have family in Western WA and it would be great if there are any classes to register in that area because we have 3 kids that would have to be left at the grandparents while we attend the 2 day class. I thought I read that the seminar is sometimes in Goldbar? Anyway, besides that:

I used to build homes a few years back when everyone and their dog was... I'm wondering if anyone has insight into possibly doing that again with log-spec homes - especially in the Kalispell, MT area because of the draw it has on vacationers/outdoor enthusiasts I would think some cabins in the mountains close to Glacier National Park would be a nice investment for savey investors. I would invest in a log cabin at a different time in my life - I.E. when I'm out of debt living in our own house in that area, etc.... But until then I could see myself building some spec homes and turning them for a profit so that I could multiply my efforts and so on...

Anyway, just thought I would see what some of you thought about these ideas.

Thank you,
Matt

happyquilter
02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
This is a question that gets asked a lot. Here is a link to one recent discussion:

http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?9630-Does-anyone-build-to-sell

There was another thread recently by someone who wanted to build a luxury spec home near Shelton WA, financing part of the land purchase through logging. Forum members gave him some really good thoughts and considerations. Does anyone remember which thread that was?

Edited to add that I did find that other thread but it is in the Members Only section. Sorry.

Shari.

jrdavis
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Matt,

skip always said that you should never build for someone else.

build the house for yourself and then sell it.

the beauty of the LHBA style is that they are completely open floor plans, so anyone can "fit" anything and any style into these homes.

That said -- Wiley homes (search for it ) builds for others and he is an amazing resource.

Good Luck - Kalispel is a beautiful area.

JD

Timber
02-21-2012, 07:41 PM
i have a sister that lives out of columbia falls mt. they used to own a local paper the hungry horse.
nice area but not enough sunshine for me.

i know property prices are high there like any desirable areas. yes you can flip homes done by a few members
i think i saw a stat that 10,000 americans retire everyday....dont quote me on that though

maybe build for a retiree

merc66rkm
02-29-2012, 01:45 PM
@machra80: we have property outside of Eureka (about 60mi North of Kalispell) although we live 7hrs away. The Flathead area is great, but has been hit by the recession like a lot of places. Good luck in your endeavors and take the class! -Ryan