PDA

View Full Version : Stone/River Rock Fireplace

SColum
02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey guys I couldn't find any good info on building stone fireplaces. I have had great success with forums before so I am hoping that this one can help me out. My question is how do you create a stone fireplace and I mean like the fire box and chimney all from stone or river rock? With that being said I'll try to explain myself a little better. I built a small cabin 10x10 a couple of years ago and would like to put in a small fireplace (I know it is a tiny cabin and kinda seems dumb) however I want to use all stone. I guess the best thing that I have seen that comes close to what I want to do is the (I'm sure some of you have seen it) fireplace that Dick Proenneke built in his cabin using river rock and the collapsable form for the chimney. If not you may understand what I am saying or If not I can try to explain it better. Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance!

rreidnauer
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
First, you will need a foundation. Do not underestimate the weight of it. DO NOT build it on wood structure.

Also, you can build a Proenneke type fireplace, but I wouldn't do the collapsible form. Use a clay liner instead. It will be much easier to keep clean.

You could save some river rock by building up with brick and just have a veneer of stone.

Firebox design is everything, and it isn't as simple as it may appear. I recommend finding literature on construction designs before doing anything.

SColum
02-15-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm really out of my element so mind my stupid questions but whats a clay liner, and do you have any sources at the handy? Whenever I search things online it's always talking about putting stone I guess as a veneer but not even on the chimney its always for looks in the house.

rreidnauer
02-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Examples of clay flue liners:
http://www.cecurechimney.com/images/anatomy.pnghttp://www.andersonsmasonry.com/product-library/235_10.jpg

Take a look at this: www.canbuildanything.com/My_Acrobat_files/Fireplace.pdf (http://www.canbuildanything.com/My_Acrobat_files/Fireplace.pdf)

It's not so much what material you build with, as it is the shape of your firebox that will have a great effect on efficiency and function.

Where what material you use may be issue, is if you are concerned with meeting building code. You'd probably be required to use firebrick in the firebox, but that may ruin the look you're after.

SColum
02-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Wow thanks for the info, I don't think I am really too concerned about building code as this is not a primary dwelling nor a secondary. To be honest it's just something fun to do almost like a hobby cabin. It is more for the building/creating than anything. Thanks again!

jrdavis
02-16-2012, 06:32 AM
You might want to think about a masonry firelplace from a DIY'er perspective.
here are a couple of good ones to research.

http://mha-net.org/
-- I bought the plans
http://www.grannysstore.com/Do-It-Yourself/masonry_stoves.htm
-- I bought the book

congrats on having a cabin already.
add a pic sometime.

JD

donjuedo
02-16-2012, 06:33 AM
For a rough comparison, I've heard fireplaces are 10% efficient, Rumford fireplaces are 30% efficient, and masonry heater designs are 80 - 90% efficient. For more info on what is meant by "masonry heaters", see http://mha-net.org/

For DIY, I can't see any reason not to make a masonry heater. They can look great, but I guess the only downside is the view of the fire itself -- it's on the small side. So if a fireplace were more for show, a Rumford is probably best. In a 10x10, masonry heater would be great. You might have to sleep standing up, though. :-)

spiralsands
02-16-2012, 06:58 AM
My sister's kit log home has the fireplace body actually on the outside of the house so the face of the fireplace is flush with the inside wall. That way you save interior space and you can put the foundation outside.

rreidnauer
02-16-2012, 07:52 AM
I suspect SColum is most concerned about aesthetic value more than anything, and that's fine. I'd build the whole thing from river rock like you planned, with the exception that I'd use clay liner and a cast iron damper. What little stonework I've done, where I had stone overhanging, I would build a form and build up the stone. There is a period of time where the mortar will solidify enough to support the stone when the form is removed, but also soft enough to still go back and clean up the joints and get the pointed nicely.

I'd love to have a chance to look over Proenneke's fireplace. I'd almost bet the flue is a gaping hole above the firebox, and no damper nor smoke lip to speak of. It would explain his comment, “The inside of the cabin is warm, a toasty 40 degrees.”

SColum
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys for all of the info really much appreciated, rreidnauer you are correct I am going almost solely for aesthetics hence why I just want to do river rock but using a clay liner and damper sounds like it makes sense and will not affect looks. Also spiralsands that sounds like a good idea as the cabin is so small. I am not to concerned about how efficient it is considering if I take the time to really seal it up well I bet I could heat it up with a candle and body heat ha ha. But ya, I wouldn't want just a big ol hole going up perhaps like Proenneke's.

I dont have any pictures of the cabin with me, however it is nothing special as I am only 19 and just built it for fun throughout my summer holidays over the past 2 years. Like I said earlier the project is more of an experiment to learn as the fireplace will be, so that when I can buy my own land then I have experience. If anyone has any pictures of fireplaces like we are talking about they'd be great to see. Spiralsands if you have a picture of your sisters set up it would be great to see! Thanks again everyone!

edkemper
02-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Since part of our build is about building as small as we can, I just can't justify taking up so much room. My parents had a two story house in the country and a very small wood burning stove was all that kept it toasty. I understand that the more modern wood stoves are more efficient and cleaner burning so I think the smaller the better on a single story 1b/1b 30x30.

rreidnauer
02-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Wood stoves have really made some excellent improvements over the years. I now have one in the RV. Really runs good. No visible smoke out the chimney, and it's air-tight, with a separate air inlet so it's not sucking the heated air from your living space for combustion. I really like it. The only downside is, it needs to be loaded every 4 hours, but that's the price of a small stove.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/woodstove.jpg

Mosseyme
02-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Rod that really looks good, is that the rv you gutted?

rreidnauer
02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
It wasn't completely gutted, but yep, that's the one.

Cruiser
02-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Rod,

I would have thought a wood stove would have run you out of an RV. It doesn't get too hot in there?

rreidnauer
02-18-2012, 08:45 PM
It's pretty small, (max 19,000 BTU) so it's balanced quite good. Once warmed up inside, I can run it with the damper closed (approx 13,000 BTU) it pulls temp up to around 73 during a burn cycle, and I reload when it drops to around 66. With the roof vents, I could easily dump off some heat if need be, but I'm quite tolerant of warmer temperatures, so I'm not bothered by it. The added bonus is, RVs in Winter typically have humidity problems, and wood stoves usually dry things out, so it's a good marriage.

loghousenut
02-19-2012, 08:04 PM
I have had a woodstove in my converted bus since 1984 or so. Can't imagine doing it any other way.

Cruiser
02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Rod, I never thought about the bonus of roof vents. Glad its working good for you and looks nice too! If you like warmer temps, you should move down here to the hot & humid South :) We could use another member down here!

tmount
10-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys for all of the info really much appreciated, rreidnauer you are correct I am going almost solely for aesthetics hence why I just want to do river rock but using a clay liner and damper sounds like it makes sense and will not affect looks. Also spiralsands that sounds like a good idea as the cabin is so small. I am not to concerned about how efficient it is considering if I take the time to really seal it up well I bet I could heat it up with a candle and body heat ha ha. But ya, I wouldn't want just a big ol hole going up perhaps like Proenneke's.

I dont have any pictures of the cabin with me, however it is nothing special as I am only 19 and just built it for fun throughout my summer holidays over the past 2 years. Like I said earlier the project is more of an experiment to learn as the fireplace will be, so that when I can buy my own land then I have experience. If anyone has any pictures of fireplaces like we are talking about they'd be great to see. Spiralsands if you have a picture of your sisters set up it would be great to see! Thanks again everyone!

What did you end up chinking your cabin with?