PDA

View Full Version : Does LHBA teach chinkless construction?

zmacomber
01-14-2012, 08:13 AM
I looked around the forums to find out if LHBA taught chinkless construction and couldn't find a definitive answer. Can someone tell me if that is taught?

Thanks,
Zack.

Yuhjn
01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Chinkless construction is briefly described in class. To do it correctly takes a great deal of skill and experience, and as a result is not recommended by LHBA. Instead the class focuses on the tight-pinned butt-and-pass construction technique since it requires less labor and less skill.

loghousenut
01-14-2012, 11:01 AM
A LOT less labor and skill. LHBA also preaches that a home built using their method will last longer, require less maintenance, and completely eliminate all issues related to log settling. I've seen both sides and LHBA wins for me hands down.

Hey Yujn, Where ya been? Glad to see you're back.

rocklock
01-14-2012, 11:03 AM
I looked around the forums to find out if LHBA taught chinkless construction Zack.

Zack,
I my research, I found that in one log home building class, they had a segment of 5 hours just about how to sharpening an ax. This was a six week class. LHBA classes are two days - very long days - still two days.

I personally believe that chinkless construction is inferior type of log home building. The settling issues, inherent in stacking logs with out holding them together with steel pins, requires lowering your roof, expansion of every window and door, and futzing around with plumbing and electrical. And I also like the look of chinking... So there...

StressMan79
01-14-2012, 12:12 PM
You'll spend several days making a sweedish cope on each log. They tell you how it should be done, but this kind of skill needs practice... years of it to be good at it. way too much for 2 day class. Oh, and chinkless is only a good way to build IF you do a full cope. Many classes will show a short cut "canadian" chinkless which is not the same and should be avoided at all costs.

-Peter

zmacomber
01-17-2012, 04:30 AM
OK - thanks everyone for the info!