PDA

View Full Version : curing logs

mdvollmar
01-10-2012, 01:32 PM
I have recently cut approx. 50 100' loblolly pines, very straight approx 12" caliper. I have stacked them in lrge pile approx.14' lengths.
Any recommendations on when these will be useable (can I use right away) and is loblolly a suitable tree for log cabin. Finally should I stack them a certain way?
Thanks in advance

StressMan79
01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
14" is mighty short for a cabin, the way we do it. You should have left them whole.

I have heard of several members using Lobolly for cabins.

If you are building a saddle notch, they should dry, but tight pinned BnP, you can use as soon as you finish your beer.

If drying, you'll want to allow plenty of air circulation (not a bad idea anyway), make sure they are off the ground on sacrificial logs and turn them every so often.

-Peter

Plumb Level
01-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Ouch - 14 foot lengths. Could have been 100 - 50' logs. Oh well, they are plenty long to sell for some timber, or get a portable saw mill and get to work.

I would recommend taking the class and then you can start making your plans and you will know what size log you will need. If building a 30 x 30, you will need them 34 - 35 feet...then you will need several that are longer for your overhangs.

I'm building a 24 x 24 cabin, and I'm requesting logs 30 feet long. That way if there is a flare at the bottom or really narrow at the top, I can cutt that off.