PDA

View Full Version : Building a Log Home By Myself... Is it possible?

Jane Doe
10-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Hello All,

I've been browsing the forums this last week and have been attempting to catch up on the last six years worth of information posted here. I'm definitely one of you in the making :) I wish I could have enrolled for the Nov 12/13 class but I'm a few hundred dollars short of being able to afford the entire trip. So I signed up for the class alert and will definitely be in the next class (if the world doesn't end in 2012, that is). I was given a small (very, very small 10,100 square feet) property near a lake and hope to build a 1600 sqft log cabin there shortly after taking the class. I think that's about it for my brief introduction.

Other than the idea that my log home project would be open to 'volunteers' to exchange help for hands-on experience, it is most likely that I will be attempting this project solo. I've brought it up with my family and friends and have already been ridiculed and made fun of for even entertaining such 'ridiculousness'. I'm 30, female, and petite. I know being a woman has nothing to do with it since I read the link that someone posted about Dorothy Ainsworth http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ainsworth27.html. I've also watched the documentary on Dick Proenneke's solo Alaska experience and how he built his log cabin solo.

But from a lot of your blogs and photos it seems that there is a significant amount of heavy machinery involved and that there is generally more than one person involved. I know from the FAQs that I should be able to build a log cabin with tools that are small enough to fit in the back of the trunk of a car and that I should be able to do it by myself (though not as easily as with two or more people).

Has anyone here built a log home solo?

Has anyone here built a log home using nothing but the tools that are small enough to fit in the back of a trunk?

Thanks a Bunch,
Jane

Thomas Pannell
10-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Jane,
Thanks for that link to the Ainsworth article. It's a great read. She's quite an adventurer, because that's what you have to be to do what we're all planning to do. You can definitely build it yourself and from the trunk of your car if that's what you have available. The power equipment helps a lot and makes things faster, but is not necessary. When you take the course it will become very clear. Also when you take the course and get into the members blogs you will see that you won't be alone unless you want to be. There are a lot of people who will be interested in helping you out, some for experience and some for the sheer pleasure of the adventure. What part of the country will you be building in?

Jane Doe
10-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi Thomas,

I'm in the Catskills area of New York. There's a woman here somewhere who moved from Florida to the Adirondack region of NY (which is close to me) that I'm trying to track down so I can email her. I'd love to be able to spend some time volunteering on her log home if she's still in the process of building.

I am definitely a determined adventurer :) I seriously DON'T want to go at this project alone but the sheer disbelief in the faces of those closest to me when I proclaimed this as my next goal was incredibly heart breaking.

Thanks for the reply and encouragement :)

spiralsands
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Jane, Ainsworth did not actually build by herself. If you read those articles carefully, she had a son and a boyfriend helping her. I am a single woman who is aiming to build. I went to the class nearly 3 years ago after buying land in Central NY and I am bit by bit working my way to my goal. Since going to the class I gutted and rebuilt a bathroom in my Florida house and replaced all the windows by myself and built a beautiful shed by myself to make the house sell. Sold the house and moved to NY in December of last year to be nearer my property and have been doing work on the property, saving money, paying off debts and collecting tools and materials for my build. I don't plan to do it all alone. I know I'll need help along the way sometime but I don't worry about it right now. I'll deal with that when I get to it.

Don't worry about whether you can do it. You CAN do it. Take that for granted. You just have to learn how. Start by learning about tools and developing a few skills. I was the worst carpenter in the world when I started this but after I finished my shed, I got compliments from men who said that I did a better job than most men they knew. The only reason that you doubt your ability is because you, as a woman, were not socialized to do this kind of work. You have to relearn what culture has taught you about your abilities. You have to overcome fear. You have to overcome a sense of failure when you make mistakes.

Many men have the same issues when their skills are not so good. But they don't usually site their gender as a reason for self-doubt. Women are so used to siting their gender as a reason for being unable to do things but that is what our modern culture has done. Think of those pioneer women who rode out on the plains with their husbands and families and helped build those sod homes. Their husbands did not tell them they couldn't build because they were women. The men needed the women to build too.

I have also been the recipient of people's criticism. But now I think they secretly look at my work with awe. Anyone who would criticize you will keep you from progressing. Forge ahead on your dreams and they will be converted. You may even find them coming to you for advice as I have.

Frances

Jane Doe
10-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Frances!

You were the woman I was looking for! I have a feeling you are one of those life-long friend's I just haven't met yet :) Do you have a start date in mind for your home?

LogLover
10-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Jane - this build was different style and it was the 2 of them mostly and waaay smaller than your vision but in the read she said she could have done alone but the fun factor would be missing.
I went to school with a gal who built her own cabin - totally by herself - in the 70's. It took her some time but she was an independant soul and determined as could be. I think it was dang near a 2 year build but in MN that means maybe an actual year of working time. lol As best I recall it was about 30' x 28' - not quite a cube I known. Single story with loft. Nice, Sadly a fire took it down in the early 90's when it burned up a chunk of the BWCA area. Guess you or an old fa^t like me can do it alone if we have the time and energy as others have. But ------ :eek:

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm

Timberwolf
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Hello All,

I've been browsing the forums this last week and have been attempting to catch up on the last six years worth of information posted here. I'm definitely one of you in the making :) I wish I could have enrolled for the Nov 12/13 class but I'm a few hundred dollars short of being able to afford the entire trip. So I signed up for the class alert and will definitely be in the next class (if the world doesn't end in 2012, that is). I was given a small (very, very small 10,100 square feet) property near a lake and hope to build a 1600 sqft log cabin there shortly after taking the class. I think that's about it for my brief introduction.

Other than the idea that my log home project would be open to 'volunteers' to exchange help for hands-on experience, it is most likely that I will be attempting this project solo. I've brought it up with my family and friends and have already been ridiculed and made fun of for even entertaining such 'ridiculousness'. I'm 30, female, and petite. I know being a woman has nothing to do with it since I read the link that someone posted about Dorothy Ainsworth http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ainsworth27.html. I've also watched the documentary on Dick Proenneke's solo Alaska experience and how he built his log cabin solo.

But from a lot of your blogs and photos it seems that there is a significant amount of heavy machinery involved and that there is generally more than one person involved. I know from the FAQs that I should be able to build a log cabin with tools that are small enough to fit in the back of the trunk of a car and that I should be able to do it by myself (though not as easily as with two or more people).

Has anyone here built a log home solo?

Has anyone here built a log home using nothing but the tools that are small enough to fit in the back of a trunk?

Thanks a Bunch,
Jane

Hello Jane,

First off, you are awesome. No seriously. You have the right attitude and drive. It's perfectly normal to have doubts and fears starting out. You will soon be a great LHBA member.

WHEN (not if ;) ) you take the class, if they still show it, there is a video that includes a lot of fottage of a woman who was at one of Skips original hands on courses, when she started, she could barely drive a nail. She went on to build a whole bunch of cabins (5, 6, 9, not sure) on some property she owned. Believe me, there is more than one way to skin that cat.

Welcome aboard. You CAN do this!

spiralsands
10-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Funny! I was writing my post when you wrote that about finding me! I did not want to insinuate that there were not other women who built their own homes but I think the Ainsworth story is just a little misquoted about her doing it alone. I don't intend to everything 'alone' for a few really big reasons. First of all, I want to get into the house in this lifetime. Second, I'm not doing that ridge pole balancing act because I am cluck-cluck-CHICKEN! when it comes to heights. I know a great young man who knows a few other great young men who need work. They are going to do that high stuff for me. Get the roof on or any other stuff I don't wanna do. It'll still be me building though, right?

I only got up to NY last December the day before Xmas and had to travel with my job most of the spring so I didn't get out to Winterwood until mid-June. Then I had to hire someone to brush-hog the two badly neglected fields. Then I had trouble with my brush cutter. Took me weeks of trying to repair it before I went and bought an industrial size Husqvarna to replace it. Finally got to brush cutting to clear around the pond before it got out of control and to determine where the water was flowing in the stream. I have major stream issues and need to deal with them before I could cross the stream with logs. I have about 13 acres or so of forest on the other side of the stream with fantastic trees but will need to deal with the stream issues before I get a logger out there to cut some trees for my build. So this year I kinda lost a lot of time with these different issues.

Also, I have no where to stay out there, like a camp or anything so I am forced to drive home everyday. When one does this sort of project with a partner, you have 2 people coming up with ideas and such. But since I have to do all the thinking, it takes me a lot longer to come up with ideas. I need to build myself a camp. To do that I need power. To get that, I need a building permit. It's like the chicken and the egg routine. Do I put my shelter on piers or pour a slab? Need footers or do I put it on skids like I did my shed in Florida? Decisions, decisions!

Winter's setting in now so I probably have to put off any more site work on the stream till next spring. I need to get part of the stream excavated so it will not jump the banks. I also need to build a bridge over a particular section. I work with a guy who did 4 tours of duty in Afghanistan and he showed me pics of a bridge he built over a river there. The one I need to build is gonna be a lot smaller but the principles are the same. So next year it'll be camp building and bridge building. If you want to get some construction experience in, you'll be more than welcome!

Frances

loghousenut
10-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Jane,

I really, really enjoy working alone. That said, there are some things a fat ole man who freezes into a statue when he gets too high on a ladder can't do alone. I am fortunate to have a Son who can be buffaloed into thinking he likes being 70% of the log homebuilding team. If it weren't Jake it would be someone else doing the stuff that one person can't do alone.

Don't worry too much about it. I can't imagine a single gal with a personality so vile that she can't find a way to get some help building her own log home. If this LHBA thing turns you on it'll happen. It's kinda like a terrible drug addiction... It'll affect the rest of your life.

Take the class. You'll fit right in with this crowd.

PS... Dorothy Ainsworth didn't build a log home. She built two. Alone or with help, she made the sacrifices and changed her lifestyle however it had to be changed to make a seemingly impossible dream come true. Sure she used little dinky logs that weighed a lot less than my logs but most of them were too heavy to lift. In class you'll learn how to use your brain to lift things that are too heavy for your body to lift. That's what separates us from the lesser primates.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/monkeythumb.gif

LogLover
10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
LMAO LBN - great chimp my man. Looks just like my BIL (ducking for cover)

Basil
10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I built solo. My wife kept our child while I built, every day after work and every weekend, holiday, and vacation, for three years. I had occassional help, but never knew when or if anybody would show up. It is possiible to do it alone. Hard, but possible...

Jane Doe
10-28-2011, 01:07 PM
@ LogLover: The reassurance that it really is quite doable to accomplish building the butt/pass style log home solo is the driving force behind my optimism. Sheer determination will accomplish the rest :) Did the woman who built in the 70s work on her home full-time or part-time, do you remember?

@ Timberwolf: Thanks! I like learning how to skin cats :D

@ Frances: I come alive in the winter (perfect for New England area) with all the hiking, snowshoeing, ice climbing, and backpacking/camping so winter is my time to run a-freaking-mok. Count me in for the non-winter months :D

@ LogHouseNut: "In class you'll learn how to use your brain to lift things that are too heavy for your body to lift." I am looking forward to attending the Jedi school for log builders, oh yeah!

@ Basil: Will you tell me a bit more about your home? Square footage, how many stories, rooms, bathrooms, etc.?

To All: I just sent a request to see if there's space in the Nov 12/13 class. It'll mean eating Top Ramen until the end of the year but I'm hoping the info will be well worth it.

Side note: Had I not stumbled on this forum last week I was about 12 weeks away from committing to purchasing a kit log home. I've been at this about a year and have been told over and over and over again that it is very unlikely that I could do this myself, and by THIS I mean all the various aspects of the process from start to finish. It is incredibly wonderful to have stumbled on the grass-roots minority (are you guys even the minority??) encouraging everything wonderful about being independent - that I can think for myself, do for myself, though there is always help if ever needed, and to be creative and ingenuitive from start to finish. Is ingenuitive a word?

Cross your fingers I end up in the Nov 12/13 class :D

Bill LaCrosse
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Jane Doe,

The Ramen tastes better when you have your dream going up in front of you! If you put spices in it you an get really ingenuitive flavors!

Bill

Bill LaCrosse
10-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Jane,

I am in Rochester...you are welcome to come visit. Ramen is on me! lol

Regards,
Bill

Jane Doe
10-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Bill,

I will absolutely take you up on that offer! Thank You!! Lemme get myself through a class and then I'll contact you.

"Ingenuitive flavors" - that was funny ;)

panderson03
10-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Ms Jane. sounds like you fit in quite well here. welcome to the family:)

StressMan79
10-28-2011, 08:55 PM
one thing that My scan did not pick up... She is planning on building on 1/4 acre... That is difficult if not impossible. You'll have to figure out how to stage, peel, etc. If using a BnT to lift, you'll need 6x the pulling room for lifting, that is if you want to pull a log 10 ft up, you need at least 60 ft... There are other ways to do it, like using a Kleim Heist knot, but I'd rather not reset more times than necessary to lift. I lifted a 35' log 8' to rest on my RPSL's, and it wasn't easy. (especially using 4x6's scabbed to the RPSL as lifting poles!). It can be done, but with that kind of limited space, make friends with the neighbors, you'll be treading on their land often. Maybe even storing some materials on their side o the fence, if you are lucky.

Upers
10-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Jane,

You will be amazed at the people who you have not met yet that will help you....

My neighbor two lots over is 75 and he just couldn't resist... (he brought his own sledge hammer and ladder!)

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll252/pcrane424/DSC07134.jpg?t=1317046131 (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0);)

Jane Doe
10-29-2011, 05:39 AM
@ StressMan79: Oh. Super thanks for that insight. I'll have to get the details on what exactly is part of the whole dealio.

@ Panderson03: I've stumbled into a crowd of unfamiliar faces but feel completely at home. I'm looking forward to this whole process :D

@ Upers: I love the look on his face. It's a look that I recognize.

hemlock77
10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Jane;

Welcome. Yes this can be done by one person if necessary. If you are determined to do this(which you seem to be), it will happen. The naysayers serve a practical purpose, they will motivate your independent nature.

The class is only the beginning. Once you get on the members side you will have the opportunity to meet some really cool(some would say twisted) people, that are more than happy to share their knowledge/experience/insight with you.

Your situation peaked my interest a bit because of the size of your lot. Our lot in Connecticut is a bit bigger, but our working area is less than 1/4 of an acre, on a sloping lot mind you. The techniques we employed are actually well suited toward working solo. It is not that hard to build in a small area, it just takes some creative thinking and a little planning. Just give us a shout after the class and we will more than happy to share our insight on this regard.
Stu
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/

LogLover
10-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Jane - she did what I will call 95% of it all by her lonesome self. The reason I say only 95% (lol) is that sometimes she had a drop in - but whether that equated to work help I'd say not really. Visiters enjoying the woods and water be more accurate.
She built pretty much like most do I suspect - part time days or nights around a work schedule and the MN weather which can be a PITA to work with.
I'm sure you can do it too - I'll lean on some for help if it fits their schedules and are willing. Distance may make that not a great deal I fret but I'll get it done. And no doubt so shall you

edkemper
10-30-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm a 60 yo gimp with 2 bad knees and two bad shoulders. I hope to get all four appendages fixed before I start. I also have an almost 5 ft/100# foreign born wife. As such, I know it's going to take months before either one of us could do a whole day's worth of work on our home. Since we will be retired when we start our build, I'm hoping that she and I will do it by ourselves. We will be in a frame of mind to do what we can when we want. If we get only one log stacked per day, it's fine with us. If we want to take the day off and get to know the state better or go to a seminar, we will. We will have all the help we really need online here. I haven't seen anything that couldn't be explained well enough so we could do whatever it is we needed help with.

There is no way I'd be willing to build another conventional stick built home. But building our hopefully last home using this method is easier than you'd think. Just labor intensive. As they say, good for the soul.

Welcome aboard.

BoFuller
10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm a 60 yo gimp with 2 bad knees and two bad shoulders. I hope to get all four appendages fixed before I start. I also have an almost 5 ft/100# foreign born wife. As such, I know it's going to take months before either one of us could do a whole day's worth of work on our home. Since we will be retired when we start our build, I'm hoping that she and I will do it by ourselves. We will be in a frame of mind to do what we can when we want. If we get only one log stacked per day, it's fine with us. If we want to take the day off and get to know the state better or go to a seminar, we will. We will have all the help we really need online here. I haven't seen anything that couldn't be explained well enough so we could do whatever it is we needed help with.

There is no way I'd be willing to build another conventional stick built home. But building our hopefully last home using this method is easier than you'd think. Just labor intensive. As they say, good for the soul.

Welcome aboard.

I'm in just about the same situation. 62 and ready to get 'er done!

edkemper
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Bo, the best part of being this age is knowing we can still do it. We just use our heads a bit better than we used to. But we can still Get'r Done!

blane
10-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Jane,
It can be done! I have no skills in building at all but I have implemented what I have learned from the LHBA and we just finished our roof last week. We used block and tackle to lift every log on my house with no heavy equipment. However, I have had some help and I would bet you will have someone come along that will believe in your dream enough to back you up and help you through it. It is very labour intensive work even for my 19 year old son who is in excellent physical condition and myself at 47 not in such as good shape as my son though. You are welcome to view my blog and it will give you a good idea of what you are getting into.

Jane Doe
11-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Update (the bad news): well it seems that I'm not gonna make it off the waiting list for the 12/13 class.

Update (the good news): I won't be living on Top Ramen until the end of the year :)

Update (the strange news): I think I've become a bit manic in regards to all of this! It's all I can talk about within my social network. It's all I dream about at night. And it's all I daydream about during my waking hours. The idea of hard, physical labor appeals to my determined sense of self, and the reality of a log cabin in the woods as a place to call my home makes me swoon with longing.

What in the hell have you guys done to me?!

And when, when, when, can I sign up for the next class??

John W
11-10-2011, 05:34 AM
I know exactly what Jane is talking about. All except for the swoon part. Are guys not supposed to swoon?

Timberwolf
11-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Update (the bad news): well it seems that I'm not gonna make it off the waiting list for the 12/13 class.

Update (the good news): I won't be living on Top Ramen until the end of the year :)

Update (the strange news): I think I've become a bit manic in regards to all of this! It's all I can talk about within my social network. It's all I dream about at night. And it's all I daydream about during my waking hours. The idea of hard, physical labor appeals to my determined sense of self, and the reality of a log cabin in the woods as a place to call my home makes me swoon with longing.

What in the hell have you guys done to me?!

And when, when, when, can I sign up for the next class??

Yeaaaah..... we bad that way. ;)

If you already signed up for the notification here: http://www.loghomebuilders.org/alert you should be good to go. That and watch the main page.

Sorry you couldn't make this one. :( but this will give you time to scheme, dream and think. Plus turn some others to your cause with your passion. That way, when your time comes to build, you won't have to do it alone.

rreidnauer
11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
How did I miss this thread?

As mentioned already, Yes, of course you can do it! I'm building everything myself. Not just the house, but the driveways, the septic system, electric and water, everything!!! And I expect to be working 99% of the time, by myself. I did purchase some heavy equipment to make the process easier, but I did so at bargain prices.

It was mentioned by another member, that I have fortitude. I don't see it that way. I am completely unintimidated by the whole process because, I don't question whether I can do it, since I simply know I have to! Frankly, I thrive on the challenge of the whole thing. Perhaps this is my Mt. Everest. What's really cool is, as a child, I was amazed that my grandfather had built his own home. And now I get to do the same, and that is really rewarding to me.

We all get the naysayers, and ironically, it's usually the people that should know you the best. (family and friends) Hell, you may even get family members who try to jeopardize your plans, such as was the case with me. Resisting and proving them wrong is the real fortitude!

edkemper
11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Then again,

This place is not only about log homes. You have to give at least equal billing to "debt free" living. Our log home will of course be wonderful and eye opening. BUT, the idea of owning the house, land and everything else so I have the time to enjoy what I will build is the most exciting part for me. I want to wake up in the morning and be able to have a cup of coffee on the covered porch of our handmade log home with my wife.

mbailey
11-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Welcome Jane,

Prepare for a great journey ahead and just smile at the naysayers. I know that you can make this happen.

rocklock
11-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I must caution you about building a log home... It will consume your entire life for many years. And then, you might want to build another just because you have all the tools and knowledge, which will consume many more years. But you need support! Without support, doubts, frustrations, money problems, injuries just become overwhelming.

So, take your time. Even before you go to class (a requirement) start looking for land to build on. You need several acres. Don't start buying tools and stuff. Just start planning what you want, and where you want it to be. Keep it simple. Look at all the log homes on this site until you draw conclusion's about the 5 W's.... Who, when, where, why, and how much... Well OK, there is an H in there some where but what ever...

Best of luck - keep us informed. Check out the video on my web site... We have a member with a pink chain saw... That might be something to buy...

Jane Doe
11-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Who: For me. And maybe take on a roommate because I like living with people.

When: Hopefully by 2015.

Where: Catskills area in NY

Why: Because I love climbing the Catskill 3500s. Because I want to be closer to The Bannerhill School of Fine Arts and Woodworking in Windham, NY. And because I've been searching for this/you guys since I was 20 and didn't find you until last month-ish. Better late than never, though, I say!

How Much: I can invest $20K annually. I'm simple. I can live out of a backpack and love life from a tent.

As for support, I do have tons. I actually wish I hadn't published my first post because my family and friends have since become super supportive of this as my goal. The wonderful-ness of my support network is that though they may initially voice skepticism they actually do want me to succeed in my ventures. And I do have to acknowledge that I did sound like a crazy person after I found this website, bounding in enthusiastically to proclaim that I finally found my peoples and that my peoples were gonna show me how to build a log house all by myself and, and, and, get this, ONLY using tools that are small enough to fit in the trunk of a car. Yeah... That was a lot of expectation to expect ANYONE to swallow. But at least we're all on the same page now :D

Fortunately, I'm not 20 anymore so I have, thankfully, learned the art of patience. As extremely excited as I am about this venture I'm not about to go run amok on Craigslist snarfing up tools in the FREE section. I am currently looking at land in the Catskills region of NY. I was given a 10,100 sq ft lot near a lake, which I had initially thought would be the place I'd build on, but it seems that it's a super small lot to be building on since I'll be needing something like six times the amount of space for lifting logs and whatnot. Voices have said it's doable so I'm not looking a gift-horse in the mouth, but I am keeping my eyes open to what's available on the market just the same.

How funny that you mention Pam. When I first started silently stalking this website I went through the members' photos and was happy to see all the results. But when I viewed Pam's home I nearly hyperventilated and fell off the chair. A woman... with very little carpentry experience... built her own home. My dreams turned into reality almost instantly (and never mind that a few moments later my bubble burst with the skepticism I received upon my proclamation). But yeah, Pam and her pink chainsaw :)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Dreaming and scheming... I like that saying <3

LogSurfer2
11-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi Jane! I am so glad to see another woman who is fearless and willing to learn about this dream! I stumbled on this site almost a year ago and showed my husband, who proceeded to tell me this wasn't real, or wasn't realistic....so I tried to contact a few people who had built before to make sure this wasn't some kind of internet scam! I was happy to receive replies from both inquiries I sent out, and Pam was one of them. She did mention to me that she and her husband built their home in about 3 years with their 2 children, while working jobs as well (crazy, I know!). I assume they received help along with way with certain projects, although you wouldn't know it by the captions in the gallery, but they did seem to do the bulk of the work themselves. I agree you will find the support and encouragement of your family & friends invaluable. You already have a head start on my husband and I, as we are still searching for land and saving for a down payment. If that comes together, then we will figure out how to fund the build and what our timeline will look like. Needless to say, the people on this forum are great people, with a similar dream, but we all get it done in our own way. What I love is that everyone here will encourage you, teach you, inspire you and even pick you up off the ground when you are discouraged! I am proud to have found this place! I look forward to chatting with you and do keep SpiralSands closeby....she is an inspiration and endless source of positivity around here and I look up to her as a single woman working toward this dream! You are quickly on your way to becoming the same!

Basil
11-14-2011, 06:03 AM
You asked about my home, it's 2700 square feet with a 10 foot wide wrap around porch, a total porch and deck that's a little over three thousand square feet with outdoor kitchen and several eating areas. two floors (the kids live upstairs) with an 800 square foot master suite. Took 3 years to build, been living in it three years now. It has 80 logs in it total. The great room has a 25 foot (at the ridgepole) ceiling and has heated floors, a wood stove, and gas-fired furnace for heat. Sorry i didn't answer sooner, now that building this house doesn't consume my life I don't check in as often...

spiralsands
11-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Exactly Ed. Mortgage freedom is an absolute necessity for me. When I think of how much of my earnings just turns into bank profit in the form of mortgage interest I wanna puke!

Frances

Jane Doe
11-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I love, love, love how super amazing the women are here! I've signed up for the JAN class and am super excited, to say the least!

I've been thinking a lot about building by myself these last couple/few weeks. I think I'd really, really, like to attempt this project solo. Just because ya'll say it's doable I think I would like to 'prove it' (also kind of my personality when it comes down to it). I have all the time in the world (that is, if I don't die anytime in the next ten years... ya never know) so it would be wonderful to have an authentic perspective of a woman's truly solo approach to building a log cabin sans the heavy machinery.

Just a thought that I've been mulling over...

Jane Doe
11-22-2011, 03:03 PM
I was talking with someone today about mortgages and she said that at the end of a thirty year mortgage you technically end up paying nearly twice or thrice the original cost of the house because of the interest rate. I wonder if that's true.

I think I'll continue adding to this thread as I go along just so I can follow my own timeline. Last week I ordered a book and it arrived today.

Working Alone
Tips & Techniques for SOLO BUILDING
written by John Carroll

I also ordered the SuperThief book mentioned in the DIY security thread, although I'm currently reading it on the web until it arrives. It's already a great read just from the first few pages!

Secrets of a Superthief
written by Jack MacLean

Timberwolf
11-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Actually, that's quite true. $100,000 amortized over 25 years, with a monthly payment of $768, 12 times a year for 25 years is a payout of $230,500.

spiralsands
11-23-2011, 03:38 AM
Actually, that's quite true. $100,000 amortized over 25 years, with a monthly payment of $768, 12 times a year for 25 years is a payout of $230,500.

I second that. You have to consider that if you make a mortgage payment of 1000 bucks a month, maybe only about 100-200 of that will go to your principal. The rest is bank profit. So you pay the buyer the cost of the house and you pay the bank the cost of the house too.

Frances

emersonelk
11-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I remember when we bought our first house and when we were sitting in the office with a couple of ladies signing all the final 100 pages of paper work and then we came to the page that had the total on it after 30 yrs. I grabbed my wife and said did you see how much were going be paying for this thing.Both the ladies across from us said ,yah, dont look at that number.Heck thats all i could think about at the time and it hasnt ever left.The next wont be that way,that "extra" money is going in our account.

ncgator
11-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Here are a couple of interesting articles on the history of mortgages. Note the terms of the first mortgages was typically for 5 years and required 50% down.

http://www.randomhistory.com/1-50/037mortgage.html

http://www.thehistoryof.net/history-of-home-mortgages.html

Have a great day!

Jim

LogSurfer2
11-23-2011, 02:22 PM
CONGRATS on signing up for class! I completely understand how excited you are....that was me & my husband about 5 months ago when we signed up! It really is the first step, and you will be amazed by the class and the teachers. Steve and Ellsworth are real people who speak in plain English, and are completely approachable & friendly. They have a true passion for freedom, and helping others obtain the real American dream!

I applaud your determination and fearlessness to want to do this yourself. I think it will be very hard, but possible. There may be days where you will curse a lot, you may even feel like your body is gonna fall apart....but I believe that if you really, really want this, you will find a way to make it happen for yourself! And don't give up along the way if you hit a stumbling block....just call on some LHBA friends and "they will come". Can't wait to see you on the members side...it is truly a fun place where dreams are seen to fruition!

marshall
11-29-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm a 30 y/o female and have begun to get the log home fever with my husband. We are super excited about the idea, but I'm also a little intimidated by the tasks that lie ahead. We're no strangers to home construction or tree cutting, but this is even a huge project for us. We have a hillside picked out for our home on our 70 acres, but our current house is for sale and if it sells, we need to get in a new place pronto. I'm not sure how long this project would take the two of us. My husband says that the possibility of selling our house is great motivation to get this project started. We were contemplating attending the class this January, but I'd like to maybe get some advice on the pros and cons of doing this before I dig my heels in completely.
I think my biggest fear is getting hurt/injured or killed. All the heights and huge logs and power tools make me extremely nervous and all I can see is something going terribly wrong and regretting trying to go it alone.

I'm hoping everyone will tell me that I'm just being neurotic and that it's perfectly safe and nobody has ever been seriously injured building one of these homes. Right?? :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

StressMan79
11-29-2011, 08:23 PM
are you within cell reception? That is a big mitigating factor there. I have a neuro-degenerative disease, and it affects my balance/coordination/speech. Progressively so. I have fallen face first onto generators, etc. I try not to work alone nor at high places. I can still use a small electric CS, but my Stihl 052 super is a bit much for me to handle anymore.

In short, know your limitations, never work tired or take stupid risks. You can do it, it will take longer than you thought and cost more (still tons less than a 30 year mortgage).

-Peter

loghousenut
11-29-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm a 30 y/o female and have begun to get the log home fever with my husband. We are super excited about the idea, but I'm also a little intimidated by the tasks that lie ahead. We're no strangers to home construction or tree cutting, but this is even a huge project for us. We have a hillside picked out for our home on our 70 acres, but our current house is for sale and if it sells, we need to get in a new place pronto. I'm not sure how long this project would take the two of us. My husband says that the possibility of selling our house is great motivation to get this project started. We were contemplating attending the class this January, but I'd like to maybe get some advice on the pros and cons of doing this before I dig my heels in completely.
I think my biggest fear is getting hurt/injured or killed. All the heights and huge logs and power tools make me extremely nervous and all I can see is something going terribly wrong and regretting trying to go it alone.

I'm hoping everyone will tell me that I'm just being neurotic and that it's perfectly safe and nobody has ever been seriously injured building one of these homes. Right?? :)

You guys are THIRTY!!! It's time to live your lives and don't look back. You shouldn't be worried about living forever for another 20 years or so.

Seriously... Of course you could get hurt (or worse) building your log home with your own hands. You're no stranger to construction or tree cutting. You know what it's all about. It's work and it's plenty dangerous.

You really want to do it and you really want us to say it's OK don't you? It's OK. I almost killed my Son working on a log building once and yet his Mother let him and I work together on the home we're halfway through building right now. You'll be fine.

Take the class... Both of you... As soon as you can. You have such a head start compared to most of us boneheaded nimrods. You're young. You're in love. You have 70 acres with a perfect hillside spot for a log home. It'd be a shame to spoil it with a mortgage and a kit house that was built by some no-name "contractor". Build your dream.

Remember... Safety FIRST

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20logs/Logging/House3-23-09-3-26-09070.jpg

blane
11-30-2011, 05:07 AM
Nothing is perfectly safe and there will always be risks even in crossing the street. There have been injuries while building....broken legs, cracked ribs, stitches on and on. I am sure I have given myself many opportunities to hurt myself. I once had a lifting strap pop lose from a log that was 15' over my head after I just walked under it (that ended our day). However, if we allow our fears to keep us from following our dreams we might as well live in a bubble for the rest of our lives. I have never heard of anyone being killed from building but I can tell you it could happen. You will learn from the class how too take precautions to avoid injuries but not everyone follows them "including myself" at all times.

As LHN said you will be ok. Don not let fear keep you from following your dreams. Just don't do anything stupid like this.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KltlhNj0Vy8/TtGAJMASLnI/AAAAAAAACPE/F_spLXQwVxw/s1600/IMG_1390.JPG

marshall
11-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Thank you guys for the advice. There are definitely some very appealing aspects to building my own home and from the photos that have been posted by members, you guys have done an awesome job on your own. I know a project like this can take years to complete. I know one of my biggest problems is going to be that I will be chomping at the bit to get moved in.
Where is the best kind of place to buy logs? I've got plenty of lumber on my property, but I don't think any of it is great for log homes.

Thanks!

rocklock
11-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Marshall;
I have been injured twice during my build. None of it has anything to do with logs, trees, chain saws, table saws or anything sharp. Both times I was carrying too much stuff and didn't see where I was going. The last time was about 5 weeks ago, when I was carrying a door down stairs to cut off the bottom so the new floor and the door would work...
After you go to class, they will cover getting logs, but after you com back you will be on the member side and there are many references that will aid in your search.
Also, it will help if you fill out your profile so we can help...

One thing you may do is to look at my first post. It on the first page of introduce your self... I did not even know how to clear land, cut down a tree... This forum and the classes have been my guide in building... In fact I still have questions that need to be answered...
Look at my video... felling big trees is just plane fun...

Jane Doe
12-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Up at 4am to look at a property 3 hours away. 13 acres and densely wooded. Price is roughly $750 per acre. Won't take action until after the class but I find it incredibly ironic that the only other aspect of my life that gets me up this early is hiking. What's even more wonderful about this property is the location - it's in between two of the mountain ranges that I like to climb.

Mornin' all and happy after Christmas!

panderson03
12-26-2011, 06:35 AM
sounds lovely, Jane. I hope its even better in person. have a safe trip and please let us know what you found up there (with pictures if we're lucky :))

Jane Doe
12-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Four properties, over six hundred miles driven, and 40 degree weather with a slight chill factor. And none made the cut for a second glance. I woke up this morning fully prepared to fall in love with properties and it just didn't happen.

How long did it take ya'll to find your properties??

Exhausted but back to the drawing board.

panderson03
12-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Jane, I hope at least you got to see some beautiful country-side and spend some quality time with your dear husband.
we looked for a little over 2 years before finding the property worth falling in love with. looked at every potential property within 200 miles. spent a LOT of time and gas money over the search but eventually found the right one.

2 years felt like a long time while we were going through the process but it had everything we wanted and everything we now need to make it our retirement home. its so worth the time, aggrevation, frustration of the search. hang in there, dear. you WILL find what you're looking for and it will be worth the wait! don't settle:) that's my 2 cents !
thanks for sharing your journey:)

happyquilter
12-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi Jane, hang in there. I'm sure the right place will come along in good time. Meanwhile, the more you research, the more of an expert you become. In one of the threads people recommended a couple books about buying country property. I think one had "dirt cheap" in the title. (Can't find it now) Anyway one of the books was a nearly complete Kindle free sample and I read it and learned a lot about quick screening before ever visiting. I am doing a lot online such as looking up tax records and asking the seller/realtor a lot of questions by email. I think it is a numbers game and you have to eliminate a ton of properties to find a few worth looking at. We have been looking too, and will be searching even more after the January class. Luckily we are looking near our favorite ski area, so we drive to the properties after skiing and don't feel like we wasted time or gas. I can't remember if you are planning to build a main home or vacation home. At this time we want to build a vacation home. Looking forward to meeting you in class in January. Shari.

spiralsands
12-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Jane, when you're looking for land it is really important to focus on what you want from it first. It doesn't make sense to look at an old cow pasture if what you want is a climbing forest. I looked all over the country for land before I distilled my needs to a few necessary things. I ended up in NY because it had everything I wanted on one pretty and private lot in Fulton County.

BoFuller
12-27-2011, 06:04 AM
We looked for about 8 months. Hang in there!

Jane Doe
12-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Frances, you hit the nail on the head when you said "It doesn't make sense to look at an old cow pasture if what you want is a climbing forest." I think I got sidetracked because there's a lot of affordable land in upstate New York and also in/around the Catskills region. I was up as far as Albany yesterday because 13 acres sounded more appealing than the 1.5 near Windham, NY kind of a thing.

But I want to be near Windham, NY. So Albany was just plain ol' silly even for the allure of more acreage.

Shari, this build is going to be used as a main home.

Thanks for continuous encouragement, everyone! Still dreamin' and schemin' :D

Jane Doe
12-27-2011, 07:21 AM
PS - Panderson, the drive was incredibly beautiful so it wasn't a total loss. But I did want to make a correction on your post. No husband here. I think you may have confused me with the woman who is also 30 (but married).

panderson03
12-27-2011, 11:11 AM
PS - Panderson, the drive was incredibly beautiful so it wasn't a total loss. But I did want to make a correction on your post. No husband here. I think you may have confused me with the woman who is also 30 (but married).

:) sorry for the mistake :)

sometimes is easier doing these things when you're single as you only have to find something that pleases YOU; way harder trying to please 2 people!!

thanks for correcting me!

glad that at least the scenery was great:) and ruling those properties out brings you one step closer to finding the right one. its out there; I know it!!

happy hunting :)

Blondie
12-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Jane Doe.

You are not the only non-attached female on this blog. There are tons of us!

Blondie

happyquilter
12-27-2011, 06:43 PM
And even some of us "attached" ones were the ones that caught "cabin fever" (lol) and were the catalyst to get things going, dragging our poor partners with us!

John W
12-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Jane - Have you looked at both LandsofNewYork and ADKbyowner sites? I search them and drool. Someday I'll get up that way.

jrdavis
01-19-2012, 07:46 AM
JaneDoe,

How do you feel NOW about building alone?
Some after class perspectives? :+)
I'm not sure where you're at, but I search unitedcountry DOT com for land everywhere..... and here's one.
http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=101073475&Item=797899&Lcnt=&Page=1&Office=31125&No=31125-30780&AU=N&FT=P

JD

Jane Doe
01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Okay, here are my opinions about everything after the class...

If you want to gain information/instruction on how to build a log home correctly then take the class. The price of the class is peanuts compared to the knowledge gained. And when you add the ability to access the members' side (I know, I know, I haven't upgraded yet) along with becoming part of this super-crazy-amazing social network then the price of the class is mind boggingly inexpensive. I would recommend taking the class to everyone who hasn't. You definitely won't be disappointed at what you learn.

In regards to building alone it is absolutely true that the ENTIRE process can be done solo. To the folks out there that haven't yet attended the class let me repeat that the ENTIRE process can definitely be done solo. And it's totally true that a person of my petite size is fully capable of the work load. The lifting system made sense since I'm familiar with boats/ships.

However, I've come to realize that I will likely NOT work solo in three particular areas. Airing out the bubbles during the cement pour, raising/setting the logs, and chinking. These three areas can definitely be accomplished solo but the reality that I learned is that the process is super time consuming just for one person. Especially the airing out the bubbles during the cement pour part. I apologize to the non-members if you have no idea what I'm talking about. It should be self-evident, though, that chinking solo will take a long time. The mortar has a shelf-life and working solo just makes for slow going. Chinking parties it is, then. And as for raising/setting the logs I've decided that I would prefer to rent the machinery in order to apply my time more efficiently. What's fantastic, though, is that the lifting system is a wonderful back up just in case the rented machinery can't reach a particular height.

I thought the class structure was impressively efficient. The human brain is capable of retaining a ton of information and, when paired with our notes, it does not seem unreasonable to host this class in just two, twelve-hour days. Plus, there's the members side for more information. It was my PHYSICAL discomfort that presented more of a challenge. Sitting for twelve hours is not easy for a lot of people, me included. I would suggest to future attendees to bring your hotel pillow to help alleviate leg discomfort if you suffer from knee problems or poor leg circulation. I'm short so sitting in chairs for long periods of time is just brutal on my knees/legs. I ended up using a second chair to prop up my legs but in hindsight I wish I had brought a pillow to cushion the underside of my legs. I would also suggest bringing a sweater/hoodie/heavy jacket. Conference rooms fluctuate in temperature and there was a moment there where it got super cold.

It was super fun to chatter up everyone about their dreams/goals/projects. It was also nice to be in a room full of people who don't think I'm crazy for wanting to build a log home myself :D

@JRD: I did not know about that website. But thank you for sending it! My plans may have shifted last night and I may be building sooner than expected. Don't know just yet. I'll be purchasing the stock bundle toward the close of February :D

loghousenut
01-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Welcome aboard.... I knew you'd swallow the hook.

rayandrosalyn
02-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I stumbled upon this website this evening (I was actually looking for a log kit home). Funny how things happen. Theres a class in Las Vegas in March 2012, hoping me and my husband can make it. Im making a move from South Texas to Southwest Wyoming this month (husband has been in WY for several months trying to buy but everthing is about $3500+ and acre), and I rather build then buy. Been reading several post and Im speechless, and so excited too. Wish me luck.

edkemper
02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Rosalyn,

Go get Ray and bring him here. Glad you found us before you went to far on a kit home. PS: I found this site while looking for log kit homes also.

rayandrosalyn
02-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks! :)

Danita
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi Jane, I just signed up for the March 2012 class after years of wishing and reading this site! I am 60! I am a woman! I am a grandmother! Even though I would have been younger 10 years ago and maybe some things would have been easier for me, I know I can still do it! And I want to do it. Ainsworth really inspired me but also some of these guys on here have accomplished some really marvelous feats. Not everybody is encouraging to me but some are. It comes down to "what do I want?". I have my land and already live in my "free camp trailer" in NW Louisiana. I am looking forward to, after the class, to going and helping others build their homes and learn all I can. If you have the desire, you can do it! If you can make it to the class, I'll see you!

Danita
02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
oops! sorry Jane, I missed where you took the class!! great!

Jane Doe
02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Danita,

Rock on!!! It is NEVER too late to create the life you've always wanted. What a totally awesome post to read; you made my day!

Jane

Danita
02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Jane, Thank you!

Tom Featherstone
02-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi Jane, I just signed up for the March 2012 class after years of wishing and reading this site! I am 60! I am a woman! I am a grandmother! Even though I would have been younger 10 years ago and maybe some things would have been easier for me, I know I can still do it! And I want to do it. Ainsworth really inspired me but also some of these guys on here have accomplished some really marvelous feats. Not everybody is encouraging to me but some are. It comes down to "what do I want?". I have my land and already live in my "free camp trailer" in NW Louisiana. I am looking forward to, after the class, to going and helping others build their homes and learn all I can. If you have the desire, you can do it! If you can make it to the class, I'll see you!

Danita,
Congratulations! For hanging in there and finally getting yourself to the class. I can hardly wait to read to your continued story after you take the class and the inspiration you'll bring to others that look here.

Jane Doe..why aren't you in the "Members"section yet?

Tom

Danita
02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks Tom! I love the encouragment!
Danita

panderson03
02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree with Mr. Featherstone! Ms. Doe, why are not yet a 'member'. Do we need to go track 'admin' down for you? I KNOW they're busy; Mr. E playing with is little one; Steve NOT taking pictures of his little one, but this is IMPORTANT! there's so much good stuff on the other side:)

happyquilter
02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Danita welcome and congrats! I'm 58 and will probably be building into my 60's lol! I am married and my hubby took the class with me and is supportive, but I was the initial driving force that got us there. Enjoy the class and see you on the other side.

Shari

Danita
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Shari! WooHoo!! for you!! I'm really glad to know that! Sure is encouraging! Hope to meet you sometimes.

Danita

Jane Doe
07-29-2012, 02:10 PM
I just logged in after a couple of months and saw that my last post was removed due to violating terms, which means you guys probably think I've disappeared!! But no; still here. Just, you know, busy... GETTING READY TO BUILD A LOG CABIN!!!

So yeah, that's the update :D

Current project is finding a suitable septic system. The property is also atop a giant freakin' boulder, so that's gonna be fun to deal with. I had a question, though. There's a guy with 64 acres an hour north of me who says I can have all the trees I want, but they're Hickory, Maple, and Oak.

I was opting for Douglas Fir... but the Hickory, Maple, and Oak are free.

Opinions? Advice?

Gonna do some catchup reading on the forum now to see what I've been missing!

John17three
07-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I've got a messload of all those on my property, but have been encouraged to use that wood for parts of the home not exposed to weather. Or even sell the wood to buy my logs. Hardwood is worth more. Evidently hardwoods are more susceptible to rot and checking than are evergreen varieties.

I've located a telephone pole company that I'm gonna get my logs. They get'em pretty cheap and they'll let me pick and choose the ones I want. I'm not using treated or debarked logs, just using the company for convenience sake instead of facing the hassle of the loggers. You might find their pricing more reasonable than u think.

panderson03
07-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Jane! so good to hear from you!! been wondering what you've been up too?? glad you checked in :)

Jane Doe
08-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Progress on the cabin model so far. Haven't got a shot of the interior yet. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=362899647112255&l=9cf08dcc9b

panderson03
08-02-2012, 07:09 AM
looking GREAT Jane!!

Dorothy
11-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Dear Frances,

I just wanted to set the record straight in regards to your BLANKET statement that I've had a lot of help. I always give credit where credit is due and I am ever so grateful for my wonderful boyfriend helping to bring my 2nd log house back after the first one burned (he's my hero).But I also don't want to mislead that lady who was asking if she could build a log house by herself with hand tools. Yes, she can, depending on the design. I DID get help with the timber raising of my log homes because the logs were so huge and heavy. But then I did all the rest of the work after the basic frame was up: 80% of the work on house #1 and 50% on house #2, and almost ALL the work on son's house after the stud frame was up (siding, electrical work, roofing, and everything). I built the log piano studio totally SOLO and documented it in the article "Piano Studio" on www.dorothyainsworth.com. I want that inquiring lady to know it CAN be done by one person working alone. I've built 16 structures on my property and had help erecting the frames on only 3 of them. Not trying to boast, just being truthful so it will encourage other women to go for it!

Sincerely,
Dorothy

rocklock
11-28-2014, 06:18 PM
www.dorothyainsworth.com. I want that inquiring lady to know it CAN be done by one person working alone. I've built 16 structures on my property and had help erecting the frames on only 3 of them. Not trying to boast, just being truthful so it will encourage other women to go for it!
Sincerely,
Dorothy

Welcome... I believe you are both saying the same thing...

I presume that you have looked at the type of log home that we build. I would suggest that no one should build entirely by them selves. Handling massively heavy objects by one selves is not a safe act. My son and I built 98% of our log home. You can see pictures and video's at my photo bucket site. Everyone has stuff that requires help in my case it was felling trees, roofing and the septic system.

Besides stacking logs and pounding rebar most everything else can be done by anyone that is not afraid of work....

rreidnauer
11-28-2014, 06:52 PM
WOW! Great to see THE Dorothy Ainsworth posting here!

panderson03
11-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Dear Frances,

I just wanted to set the record straight in regards to your BLANKET statement that I've had a lot of help. I always give credit where credit is due and I am ever so grateful for my wonderful boyfriend helping to bring my 2nd log house back after the first one burned (he's my hero).But I also don't want to mislead that lady who was asking if she could build a log house by herself with hand tools. Yes, she can, depending on the design. I DID get help with the timber raising of my log homes because the logs were so huge and heavy. But then I did all the rest of the work after the basic frame was up: 80% of the work on house #1 and 50% on house #2, and almost ALL the work on son's house after the stud frame was up (siding, electrical work, roofing, and everything). I built the log piano studio totally SOLO and documented it in the article "Piano Studio" on www.dorothyainsworth.com. I want that inquiring lady to know it CAN be done by one person working alone. I've built 16 structures on my property and had help erecting the frames on only 3 of them. Not trying to boast, just being truthful so it will encourage other women to go for it!

Sincerely,
Dorothy

you are my hero

loghousenut
11-28-2014, 09:55 PM
A local celebrity here in sunny southern Oregon. Thanks for clocking in Ms. Ainsworth.

DanBlue
12-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Jane,

Welcome to the forum! It is FANTASTIC to see another individual planning to build in New York State, and I'm sure Frances would agree. After a couple of years of research and due diligence, my fiancé and I decided on an 8.6 acre wooded lot in the Tug Hill region of NY, and we are delighted we did. Welcome, and I'm sure you've already learned folks are quite helpful within this community! :D

loghousenut
12-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Jane,

Welcome to the forum! It is FANTASTIC to see another individual planning to build in New York State, and I'm sure Frances would agree. After a couple of years of research and due diligence, my fiancé and I decided on an 8.6 acre wooded lot in the Tug Hill region of NY, and we are delighted we did. Welcome, and I'm sure you've already learned folks are quite helpful within this community! :D

The REAL question here is "when are we gonna be able to yak at DanBlue on the members side?".

When I do a search of "Tug Hill" on the members side of the forum I get 682,492 hits.

Not really, but I'd still like to be able to invite you to the yearly pig roast at my place, Dan.

John W
12-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Unless someone has a recent note from Jane Doe, I believe she has died. I was Facebook friends with her, and none of her other FB friends have heard from her in quite some time. She posted that health issues set her back again, along with pictures of a bandaged head. Her FB page has been pulled down. If she's still building, I wish her all the best, and would love to have her post on the forum.

DanBlue
12-01-2014, 09:26 AM
The REAL question here is "when are we gonna be able to yak at DanBlue on the members side?".

When I do a search of "Tug Hill" on the members side of the forum I get 682,492 hits.

Not really, but I'd still like to be able to invite you to the yearly pig roast at my place, Dan.

Thank you kindly loghousenut! I do appreciate the invite, and I would love to take you up on that. You and I would get along really well I'm sure, so thank you Sir!

I have a recent development that has kept us from pulling the trigger and buying the spots for the february class in Las Vegas..

There is a 17 acre plot right next to our existing 8.6 acres that has just gone up for sale, and I'm desperately trying to pull the money together to buy it..Even if I can pull the money together, it's going to be a bit of a challenge financially for the next few months, and I've put all our money on lock down as I try to grab this land....Nonetheless, I should know if I'll be albe to pull the additional 17 acres down within the next few weeks..If I can't get that land, I'll purchase the tickets for Vegas, and set my focus back on getting our cabin started..At least I'll have the financial freedom to get started..If I'm able to get this additional land, it will set me back about 6 months to a year I'm afraid...

rreidnauer
12-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Can't blame anyone for putting the class on hold for that opportunity.

loghousenut
12-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Ditto... You are excused for one year, Mr. Blue.

spiralsands
12-01-2014, 11:40 AM
It has been a long time Jane has been on board. From what I remember, she was interested in land in the "downstate" area, the Catskills maybe? This is such an old thread that I wasn't going to bother responding since apparently "celebrities" can be so sensitive about their carefully tended publicity. Some people shouldn't be Googling their own names.

There was another single woman right here in Syracuse who took the class but will not be building. Anne and I met a few years ago. She came out to Winterwood with pizza and I gave her a tour of the wood road in the summer rain. She told me that she made a deal for some land and planted some daffodils there but later the deal fell through or she withdrew from the purchase, I can't remember exactly. Anyway, she's moved from Syracuse, following a job north I think. And Anne, if you see this post in 3 years, please know that I made these comments with understanding and acceptance of your personal situation. You and I and every other woman (and man) in the LHBA know the truth about being challenged and needing help and we don't have to defend ourselves for that.

DanBlue
12-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Unless someone has a recent note from Jane Doe, I believe she has died. I was Facebook friends with her, and none of her other FB friends have heard from her in quite some time. She posted that health issues set her back again, along with pictures of a bandaged head. Her FB page has been pulled down. If she's still building, I wish her all the best, and would love to have her post on the forum.

Yea, I just noticed this thread was started in 2011..That's sad if in fact she has passed.