PDA

View Full Version : Logs for the Future. What Species Would You Plant?

John17three
08-15-2011, 05:47 PM
So, I've been on a hiatus here in North Central, IL to visit family. I found a messload of nice tall, straight, nearly taper-less evergreen trees surround someone's field; you could tell the seeds didn't blow in from the wind. Someone planted them very strategically. I'm just wondering what variety/species/kind they were. You can't answer that, of course, but it got me thinking.

Suppose I wanted to plant some trees for my kids and grandkids. I have access to 80 acres (will be inheriting it in future--Lord willing), and am interested in planting a mess-load of trees to harvest for sons' homes (now 3 and 1). I'll take the class, I know, I'm not yet a member. But just hear me out. What species would I plant? When can I expect the harvest? How much wood seedlings cost? I'm not sure, so that's why I'm asking y'all!! : -)

So, if you have land, money, and most importantly time, what.....

1) would you be spending for seedlings?
2) species would you plant?
3) time would you expect the harvest?

4) ....questions am I forgetting to ask?

loghousenut
08-16-2011, 12:58 AM
I know I'm reading the question differently than you are writing it. I'd plant fig trees, apple, pears and walnuts.

I suppose it woulda been nice if my Grandad woulda left me 40 acres of prime Doug Fir but those trees would be worth so much as lumber that I'd hate to waste them on a little old log house.

To me, one of the most redeeming qualities of the LHBA system is the ability to build a great home for your family using "junk" logs. This system is so forgiving that we can use logs that would not be worth much to anyone else and save the good stuff that our ancestors left us for a more worthwhile purpose.

That doesn't mean that I don't admire the homes that you folks build with prime, no taper, no limbs, all the same size logs. You're houses are works of art and perfection. But a guy and his family can also buy a cheap chunk of land, trade into some logs that are worth virtually nothing on the timber market, and build a LHBA home that will knock yer socks off.

At least I HOPE a guy can do all that.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1000316.jpg

Basil
08-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Id check with a forester first (most extension offices will help you at no charge) and get a soil sample. The type of soil you have, and moisture conditions, will tell you what you should plant.

If I could plant anything in my soil and have it grow well, I'd plant walnut and oak. The kids will then inherit some trees that are probably quite valuable. If you are wanting something to use in your lifetime, there are several evergreens that might grow fast enough to be useful, and yellow poplar can get big in 30-40 years as well. We have to remember, when planting trees, we are on a different timescale. A human life isn't terribly long to a tree.

jrdavis
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd have to say that I half agree with LHN.... and plant the fruit and nut trees (no, not people from california, who aren't LHBA Members)
but the deviation would be that you SHOULD plants some (alot) if you have the land, because you can "give the trees" as an inheritance and they could sell them for $$$ and use that to buy "LHBA - junk" trees and be dimes to dollars ahead.
Check with the county extension agent and foresters becuase I can get 1-2 ft bare root nut trees for about $80-$100, pine is cheaper.

Just a thought.

JD

Cruiser
08-16-2011, 01:53 PM
JD,

1-2 ft trees (saplings) are $80-$100 there??!! I hope I'm reading that wrong!

Scoutman
08-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Me too!!!

John, don't know where you're at but if you get some pine get seeds from OLD pines. Not from some of these genetically engineered pines.

jrdavis
08-17-2011, 07:06 AM
I understand the "confusion". The DNR is a GREAT place to look and order trees.
but the price you are looking at is a "rooted and BALL" tree from a Nursery making money.
From the DNR they are bare root (just roots sent from a hydroponic farm and you plant them straight in the ground.
Here is the order from from Iowa DNR and the White pine are $25/$40 for 8-17 inch/17-26 inch PER HUNDRED Trees.
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/forestry/ForestNursery_brochure2011.pdf
They take orders everywhere.
I just checked the status and there are 50,000 white pine for sale this year. :)
Enjoy.

James.

panderson03
08-17-2011, 09:01 AM
we try and plant 24 trees each year to help replace all the trees we cut down when clearing for our build. we get 24 red pine for $32.

Cruiser
08-17-2011, 09:03 AM
We can get up to 5000 free per year from the state. These would be mainly SYP. http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/49/019/0019.htm

John17three
08-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the info!!

Yes, I've already done extensive research on Walnut trees. One of the nations largest wholesale buyer of walnuts is an hour West of us, and Missouri is one the best states for Walnut. I'd be growing Walnut not for fruit but for veneer lumber. Growing walnut for nuts is kind of tricky because you're actually limited (at least according to the article that I read) by the number of available harvest days. But growing for veneer, that'd be a situation where I'd plant for my grandkids education or something, or my retirement.

I understand LHN's position about using what you got to build with. That's thinking pragmatically. BUT, why not grow some prime lumber if you've got time and space (and pocket change for DNR seedlings)? BTW, LHN, I didn't see any squirrelly logs in your home (pun intended). ; -)

Still have a few questions:

1) How long would it take if you planted DNR seedlings before you could harvest them?
2) Which species grows the straightest with the least amount of taper?
3) Which species grows pretty straight and has more desirable grain characteristics, like for flooring or cabinetry?

Cruiser
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I believe if your 3 questions are refering to walnut, then I don't think taper would be relevent for the species. I would think 30-50 years before they would be large enough to harvest. Here is some good info on black walnuts. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/dd0505.html

John17three
08-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I believe if your 3 questions are refering to walnut, then I don't think taper would be relevent for the species. I would think 30-50 years before they would be large enough to harvest. Here is some good info on black walnuts. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/dd0505.html

Sorry for lack of clarity. I'm familiar with growth trends of Walnuts from previous research. I'm just curious about pine for those questions.

Again, so viewers don't have to look back to my previous post:

1) How long would it take if you planted DNR seedlings before you could harvest them?
2) Which species grows the straightest with the least amount of taper?
3) Which species grows pretty straight and has more desirable grain characteristics, like for flooring or cabinetry?
4) In your opinion(s), what is the most desirable--yellow or white pine species?

Cruiser
08-17-2011, 07:41 PM
1. 10-15 years to thin, for lumber 20-30 years, for logs to build a min of 25 years (This is loblolly or other commercial species. It would be much longer for longleaf)
2. They are all pretty good, but I'm not familiar enough will all the species to answer.
3. See #3
4. Both are good. White has a little edge in decay resistance, but SYP is stronger.

John17three
08-18-2011, 07:06 AM
1. 10-15 years to thin, for lumber 20-30 years, for logs to build a min of 25 years (This is loblolly or other commercial species. It would be much longer for longleaf)
2. They are all pretty good, but I'm not familiar enough will all the species to answer.
3. See #3
4. Both are good. White has a little edge in decay resistance, but SYP is stronger.

Thanks for the info!! I did some research myself, and found lots of info on loblolly pine in the South. Looks like people have been making some money off their needles till the timber grows large enough to harvest. That's pretty interesting.

Most would be searching for land that has wood already on it. I'm just daydreaming how I might use the land I'll be inheriting (God-willing). There are NO straight logs on the place. Maybe some logs to cut for boards, but nothing for perimeter or support logs. I'd have to have those shipped in from somewhere, so I'd like to know what to search for and what questions to ask our forestry dept. Thanks again!!

I just haven't found any information on loblolly pine growing in Missouri. All the info mentions loblolly stands in GA, AL, LA and other southern states.

drmnoflogs
08-19-2011, 06:20 AM
We've planted about 1500 pines on our property over the years, all bought as saplings from the state forestry dept for very cheap (500 trees are $90 or so). We have white, loblolly and virginia pine planted. THe Loblolly seem to do the best, but we hope to use the white pines for our kids' houses in 20 years or so. At 8 years old, some of them are about 20 feet tall! We prefer the white pine for the decay resistance, but like LHN said, the beauty of this way of building is that you can use what ya got and still build a beautiful and sturdy home that will be around way after your grand kids are.

Check with your state forestry department about the loblolly growth in Missouri. They will know best.