PDA

View Full Version : BUILDER WALKED OFF JOB...

RoxieBD
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
On March 2 we signed a contract with a out of Parkersburg West Virginia, for a turn key construction. This contractor took over $$$,$$$.$$ of our money :evil: and the only thing we have is a subfloor, a septic that is not done and our log kit. Which he had delivered on September 8th knowing he was walking off the job. He gave us a 12,000.00 bill telling us we had to pay (which we did not pay) it before he would return to the job. This bill was because of mistake of other subcontractors that he had hired and was not on the job to tell them what to do. Now it's October 25th and still nothing. I am looking for someone who can help me just get my logs up.
I am in Berkeley Springs W.V.

rreidnauer
10-25-2005, 05:21 PM
WOW, this sounds remarkable similar to Rick and Debra's horror story at http://www.reliablebuildersinmaine.com/ Perhaps, from their journals, you can find some insight as to getting your home built. Hopefully, you'll be able to "take the reins" and maybe even get help from fellow members nearby.

kyle
10-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Roxie,

Sorry to hear about your problems. You are only about 1.5 hours away from me. I play golf a couple times a year in Berkeley Springs. I know several people who have built "kit" homes. Unfortunately most people don't know of the problems until after its too late. I'm sure you've already checked but see what the "kit" supplier recommends. If they don't help you call a few other kit makers and they might recommend a builder.

RoxieBD
10-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Thank you for the information.. rreidnauer & kyle

Basil
10-27-2005, 11:39 AM
And find a lawyer that deals in construction laws.

vtbuilder
10-30-2005, 05:38 AM
I grew up in Woodsfield, Ohio, not far from Parkersburg, W.V. I know the area well, believe me. I wish I were still living there, if only to help you. Alas, all the best carpenters I grew up with have died.

First, don't pay the contractor. It's the only leverage you have. Any contractor should and *must* know that subs need to be overseen if they want the job done right. I say that being a contractor myself. I *never* leave subs to their own devices, *not* because they're incompetent (which they never have been for me) but because *I'm* the contractor. I'm the only one who sees the big picture and for that reason it's my job to direct them and answer questions when they have them. The contractor is the overseer. If your contractor didnt' oversee, then he shouldn't be paid. He wasn't doing his job.

Nonetheless, this sort of screw up seems to happen all the time.

I think your best advice was to return to the kit supplier. Do your best not to alienate them. It's not their intention to screw you over, but they also are not obligated to help you. They got what they wanted and met their obligations.

You might also consider selling the property and kit, as is. Learn how to build an Ellsworth cabin, and start afresh. But thats crazy-talk, I know. Seriously though, it's not too late to reconsider. You could probably still get out from under all this relatively unscathed. You can also see it trough, but it depends on how comfortable you are with risk.

Patrick

RoxieBD
10-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Patrick...thank you for your input...The contractor is my only complaint...Everyone else that we worked on the job (log kit, septic, etc. )were great..The said thing is that my contractor only paid them what he though they should be paid. My windows and doors weren't paid for. He still has the money. The septic and the rest of the work was only 1/2 paid. My contractor doesn't think he needs to pay them because the job was done wrong. Which is his fault because he wasn't at the job. We do have a complaint with the Attorney General and the License board. Hopefully something will be done so he can't do this to someone else. I'm hoping and praying that I can get my logs up and under roof and stain before snow fall, but that is a long short...

vtbuilder
10-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Roxie

I hope you get your logs up too. However, it's best this happened heading into winter. The cold weather will help minimize damage to the logs (insects, sun, staining, mold, rain) if there's a delay getting them up. That might turn out to be a piece of luck.

I'll be interested to hear how this all turns out.

Patrick

ChrisAndWendy
11-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Sounds like it's time to get out the big stick and find that "builder". If nothing else you will have the satisfaction of knowing he may not walk as well as before he ripped you off. The old saying is "You can't get blood out of a turnip" but people bleed. :twisted: Chris

wood bug
11-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Like Gov. Arnold said in "If it bleeds we can kill it" LOL just kidding I wouldnt do that but it show's where our society is these day's, just another reason to live in the woods. Good luck guy's with your home

Drh0liday
01-21-2007, 10:43 AM
roxie please tell us what has happened since your last posting.