PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Alabama

steve64
07-29-2011, 06:12 AM
My son is wanting to build a log home on our property. We have Southern Pine trees that we can cut at no cost. Are these good to build a log home from, or what kid of logs are recommend for my area. I worried about strenght and rot ect...

Shark
07-29-2011, 06:51 AM
pine are fine to build with, many members build with it. I would suggest taking the class as you will end up with a great log home & the knowledge to make sure it lasts many generations.

loghousenut
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Steve, I agree with Shark on both counts. If the kid is serious about wanting to build his own home with his own hands, he (and you) oughta take the class. Unless he has built more than one log home by himself in the past, he will want to kiss the instructors on the lips, in gratitude for what he learns by the end of the first day.

Both Shark and I are students, and I think I speak for both of us that this class has returned many times the tuition cost in savings as we are building our LHBA homes.

PS... If he really does kiss Ellsworth, I'd appreciate a photo.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010442.jpg

Scoutman
07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Steve, I think the majority of us down here in the deep South build, or will build, with SYP. Some may prefer not to use SYP but if you build the way the class teaches you'll have a fine home.

Scoutman
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
LHN, maybe Blane Jr could photoshop your face onto your son's body up there. I really hate to think of your coworkers thinking of you as a sissy! LOL

loghousenut
07-29-2011, 01:46 PM
LHN, maybe Blane Jr could photoshop your face onto your son's body up there. I really hate to think of your coworkers thinking of you as a sissy! LOL

Really appreciate the offer but he'd have to photoshop the rest of me up there and I think most observant folks would think it was fake, knowing that the ridgepole probably wouldn't hold all that bulk up without breaking something. I think I'm better off stating in the real world, sad as it is.

Scoutman
07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
It's photoshop. Bulk can be added. LOL And tell 'em you used 40 ft of all thread thru the RP and RPSL into 4 ft of concrete pier.

loghousenut
07-29-2011, 09:30 PM
OK he might be able to pull it off. Should I see if I can get him to drive out here and take a really good photo of me or do ya suppose he could touch up my avitar and work with a stock photo of Humpty Dumpty?

mbailey
07-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm building just north of Knoxville, Tn using pine that came from middle Tennessee. I was going to use poplar but got a great deal on pine and decided to go with it. The key is to use the time tested techniques of the LHBA and pine will work just fine. Skip's motto was use what you've got.
Take care,
Mark

blane
08-01-2011, 01:01 PM
He would probably love to visit you in Oregon. However, I can't do without him at this time. if he could come, he could make you look 16 and 150 lb. with a few clicks of the mouse. But you still will not feel any younger, sad to say. I am consoled knowing that aging is not for wimps. I have found that the best photos of myself are with my shirt on and 100 yards away usually are best.
OK he might be able to pull it off. Should I see if I can get him to drive out here and take a really good photo of me or do ya suppose he could touch up my avitar and work with a stock photo of Humpty Dumpty?

WillowFireWoman
08-08-2011, 12:04 AM
pine are fine to build with, many members build with it. I would suggest taking the class as you will end up with a great log home & the knowledge to make sure it lasts many generations.

I am taking the class this Sept. Very excited. SYP in considered very sturdy but harvesting them yourself will require seasoning right. My land will have standing SYP also. But how long willthat delay building?

thanks

blane
08-08-2011, 08:11 AM
LHBA methods are fine for building with green logs. As Ellsworth would say "no problem"
I am taking the class this Sept. Very excited. SYP in considered very sturdy but harvesting them yourself will require seasoning right. My land will have standing SYP also. But how long willthat delay building?

thanks

steve64
08-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for all the input from all of you. I've been on vacation in townsend Tn for a while and just getting back online. Do any of you know if they hold classes anywhere else in the US?

Best Regards