PDA

View Full Version : Tree Selection?

Anna320
05-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey all! Was curious what kind of trees y'all have used? Is it ok to mix different species? Anyone use or have any thoughts on black walnut trees? Thanks!

Cruiser
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
You can use just about any species, however they must be at least straight enough and long enough to span the length of your walls. I don't know if walnut would fit that bill. It would also be very heavy to lift and hard to drill/pin...but to answer your question, you could use it. You can also mix species, but the finished product might not be to your liking due to the different colors and textures of the different species. The class will teach you all you need to know on this subject. Take it...you will not be disappointed!

loghousenut
05-30-2011, 04:10 PM
My thoughts about walnut is that it is perfect for use as lumber to sell and finance a home built of less valuable trees. To me it is rather like mining gold to use as aggregate in concrete.

TDBrazie
05-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I carve a lot of black walnut and always wear breathing protection when working with it. The dust is an extreme irritant, especially when you inhale it. If you are allergic to it plan on some hospital time. Pretty wood just be carefull when working with it.