PDA

View Full Version : Haven't even been to the class yet!

destructoxvi
05-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Hello all!

We are up in Kalispell, MT, prepping to relocate. We have been here 5 days, tirelessly searching for temp living quarters. My 3 year old daughter, who is part fish, sees it as a plus/plus for she gets to indoor swim every night at the hotel.

Anyways, as we drive looking for rental after rental, I cannot help but feel prejudiced about the "Log Homes" that we have seen. I do not believe that we have seen one "Butt Method LOG HOME". We have seen a bunch of dowel homes though. I don't know much about building a log home yet but I can tell poor quality from a far. None look as good or solid as some of the Members Postings, either built or being built.

Haven't even attended the class yet and I am viewing these homes with a cautious/ prejudiced eye.

Scoutman
05-26-2011, 09:20 PM
But it's a nice area for a B&P home isn't it!! Beautiful country where you're at!!

destructoxvi
05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh yeah. Got snowed on this evening. We are amazed that it doesn't get dark here until after 2130 hours. I am supposed to be looking for homes but cannot stop scanning every tree that I see.

Last Sunday evening, 2045 hours, we are cresting the Continental Divide, on the 15, through Idaho and into Montana and it was raining like a golden curtain at the peak, welcoming us into this very beautiful state. The whole family was in awe and drop jawed. What an artist HE is.

Scoutman
05-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Hoping to build my 2nd home in Big Sky country.

loghousenut
05-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Hello all!

We are up in Kalispell, MT, prepping to relocate. We have been here 5 days, tirelessly searching for temp living quarters. My 3 year old daughter, who is part fish, sees it as a plus/plus for she gets to indoor swim every night at the hotel.

Anyways, as we drive looking for rental after rental, I cannot help but feel prejudiced about the "Log Homes" that we have seen. I do not believe that we have seen one "Butt Method LOG HOME". We have seen a bunch of dowel homes though. I don't know much about building a log home yet but I can tell poor quality from a far. None look as good or solid as some of the Members Postings, either built or being built.

Haven't even attended the class yet and I am viewing these homes with a cautious/ prejudiced eye.

Destructoman, You've been infected! You are now officially an LHBA ZOMBIE!!!

You may as well take the class and do it right.

I remember when it happened to me and I remember when it happened to my Wife. I was easy but she was a hard sell... Her and her Ex built a dowell house from scratch just before the divorce.

Scoutman
05-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Alot of ZOMBIES hitting the highways and skyways today!! Come on down LHN! I'll buy ya a beer!!

destructoxvi
05-27-2011, 07:20 PM
We were checking 3 acres today that has a 500 square foot cabin on it. There were all these piney looking trees but smoother barked (approximately 40' + Tall and maybe 20-24" diameter, straight with minimal taper). A reference working with us informed that it is a Tamarack (Larix Laricina). There are quite a few and the property definitely could use a good thinning to allow some light in. Today, I learned that this is a sturdy wood. There are a few Doug Firs and a handful of Lodge Poles, nothing like the Ridge Pole of the Log House Nut's Superstructure though. The property is sloped to the west and has some rock croppings on top. Got to check the Well Log and septic.

Yeah.......................I am infected that is a fact. My wife is too. She is very quickly absorbing the infection and "Log Watching" as well. If she wasn't carrying around 30 extra pounds of pregnancy she would have been all over the property with me. I felt bad, she looked like the kid that couldn't come out to play. God Bless Her.

We leave manana to Tucson. Next weekend off to Las Vegas for the knowledge. It has been a busy three months for my family and I but a lull is coming.