PDA

View Full Version : rough cut lumber question

B52Bohmer
04-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello all,

I walked into a great deal on rough cut lumber (trading my labor). The wood hasn't been cut yet and I have the opportunity to choose the size of the lumber. They plan on 10 to 12 foot lenghths. Provided I haven't taken the LHBA course yet (will be attending this May) I would like to ask those of you who have built what size should I request. Depending if I have access to a lot or just some, what would be your suggestions.

Scoutman
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Good deal, Neil.

Timberwolf
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Well, depending on what/how you intend to build after you take the class, there could be a lot of variation. However, you will likely need 2x dimensional lumber of all sizes, 2x4, 6, 10, 12 (i used little to no 2x8). 4x10 and or 12 for window bucks. 1x6 and 8 in abundance.

Spare lumber is always handy. Get lots. Too bad you can't get 16 foot lengths, for floor joists.

loghousenut
04-28-2011, 04:31 AM
If you are building where they require permits, you may have to have graded lumber for anything structural like joists, studs, etc. If you are planning on building as slowly as I am building I would advise you to try for another form of payment.

This is a timely post for me as I am right now considering the purchase of a small mill to make lumber out of our leftover logs. It'll be a bunch of 4" and 6" slabs for door and window bucks and a bunch of 1x6's and 1x12's for siding, etc.

I suppose I am trying to say that it might be kinda early in the process to be making a lumber deal. Of course, depending on your situation you may need a shed or outbuilding or two before the house goes up.

Zetmandu
05-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Just starting to talk a little bit with a guy who has a mobile sawmill and wondering what anyone who has/is building normally uses the rough cut lumber for. I see on my engineer plans that I need graded SYP for my rafters, so Im assuming rough cut is out for those. So then besides floor joists, what else typically is the rough cut used for?

I am building the stock 30x30 by the way, with just a few minor interior changes

B52Bohmer
05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the answers. Loghousenut, even though I'd pay by labor, it basically comes out to free. Not much work required of me (Hauling some sheetrock upstairs for my boss). I was just going to hoard whatever I could and as much as I was offered. They are just planning on cutting 1 inch stuff for windbreak material. 1 inch stuff might find plenty of uses I think anyway. If not for a log home, maybe for something else. Like a fence.
That is also a good idea Zetmandu, Although these would be rough cut, I have access to a planer to make nice smooth lumber so maybe if I had a bunch of 1 inch stuff I could use it for a wall covering or something.

blane
05-23-2011, 08:44 AM
You will find lots of uses for that stuff. Gable ends look great with rough cut 1x stuff. Cover it up dry or you will have a mess. And if it will be a couple of years before you are ready to build don't count on it for your loghome unless you have a good place to store it.
Thanks for the answers. Loghousenut, even though I'd pay by labor, it basically comes out to free. Not much work required of me (Hauling some sheetrock upstairs for my boss). I was just going to hoard whatever I could and as much as I was offered. They are just planning on cutting 1 inch stuff for windbreak material. 1 inch stuff might find plenty of uses I think anyway. If not for a log home, maybe for something else. Like a fence.
That is also a good idea Zetmandu, Although these would be rough cut, I have access to a planer to make nice smooth lumber so maybe if I had a bunch of 1 inch stuff I could use it for a wall covering or something.