PDA

View Full Version : Drip Irrigation

dazedandconfused
03-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I wondered if anyone had any exp with drip Irr. I found a great lot with a great view of a pond I would love to build on but it requires this way, I was wondering if one, is this expensive compared to say a sand mound setup, and is it easy to maintain, thanks all. And yes I am signed up for the class I leave the end of May I cant wait.

RPM
03-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I have some experience with drip irrigation. I like it. It's not for every aspect of your landscaping, but for planters and trees, it works great. It uses less water than typical bubblers and the idea with the drip system is that it waters deeper, being a constant drip. Another plus is you can easily move your drip lines, lengthen or shorten them and add "drippers" or remove "drippers" from the drip lines whenever you need to. The drippers come in different sizes (GPH-gallons per hour) and some are even adjustable.

The down side-the drippers can get clogged so you have to "walk" your drip lines on occasion. At my former residence, i had 38 valves with drip lines everywhere. I would walk them about every month. They're easy to pull apart and flush, but you had to keep an eye on them. Also, every now and then, an occasional coyotee and rabbit would chew threw the drip lines for water.....so i tried to put 3 or 4 bowls out under a dripper to collect water for those rascals so they wouldn't chew the drip lines. OK, maybe that's more info than you wanted, but overall, I liked the drip irrigation.

stockhatch
03-31-2011, 06:08 AM
Dazed, are you referring to a drip irrigation pre-treated septic system? If so, my wife and I looked into it and the initial cash outlay is considerable. The particular system we spec'd involved either UV light, or chemical treatment. There were a series of tanks, baffles, pumps, etc and the system had to be inspected and certified annually by a qualified waste water technician. After all was said and done, we decided that even though the land would be given to us for free, the cost of the system and the maintenance and upkeep of it would be a burden in the future. We ended up buying some property that would accommodate a standard gravity drain leech line septic system.

Just my .02 from having looked into it.

dazedandconfused
03-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Yeah Stock for septic, I too have started looking at other locations, it seems like the upkeep is also a pain, beautiful property though but my stuff got to go somewhere :) thanks for the info

RPM
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry dazedandconfused! I didn't realize your were taking about "that" type of drip irrigation. Oh well, maybe somebody will find my post informative and helpful.