PDA

View Full Version : Just got my spot in the june class

Log Home Pioneer
03-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Ive purchased my spot in the june class. When do I get access to the members forum. Im ready to learn more!

BillnChristi
03-05-2011, 07:35 AM
You don't get access to the member's forum until after the class. :( So, in the meantime, they suggest you read EVERY thread on the public side, rid yourself of debt, accumlate savings and general construction tools (hammers, drills, circular saws, etc), and read books on general plumbing, wiring, foundation,etc.

I know...it's driving me crazy too. Three months is a long time to wait when your future is waiting!!! But, it would seem that patience REALLY is a virtue on this path, so may as well get used to being patient now. It will save tons of time and money in the long run. Still don't like it though *sigh*

BillnChristi
03-05-2011, 07:36 AM
*accumulate*....keyboard is sticky and half don't work when they're supposed to

loghousenut
03-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Ive purchased my spot in the june class. When do I get access to the members forum. Im ready to learn more!

The members side would only turn you into a thousandquestionasking pest before class. The day after class you'll understand what you read on the other side and you'll be the one answering questions. Til then you can busy yourself by perusing the photo gallery and listing on paper the 10 design elements that are common to almost every log home in the gallery. There will be a quiz waiting in your hotel room the night before class.

BillnChristi
03-05-2011, 08:04 AM
LHN....LOL, you are probably quite right, my friend!!! That is a good idea though on looking for 10 common design ideas. That's kind of what we had in mind for doing today. But, we are looking not so much at construction details (have already done that), but interior design/floorplan/layout ideas that are unique and interesting. The "silly, fun stuff" that dreams are made of. :)

Log Home Pioneer
03-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I know the thing about this place is to get people to take the class, but jeez its hard to not get any information out of it before hand. Almost feels like a tricky car salesman selling you a car you've never seen on ebay. Better yet someone selling Amway. Ive already bought my spot in the class, and feel its going to be worth the money, even though I had my doubts in the beginning. Originally from the "show me" state ,Im the kind of person I need to see to believe. I even wondered are people that were unsatisfied not allowed to post or just banned, cause there certainly aren't any around. Either way Im going to find out come june. I hope its as simple as Ive been led to believe. Im a small organic farmer who farms to sustain the family and sells a bit at the farmers market here and there. I can build whatever needs to be built, although this will be the largest thing I have attempted. Im truly and thoroughly excited. Should be a wonderful experience. Is this a pretty accurate list of the tools Ill need? Skip seems to share the info that one craves after reading and seeing so many log cabins.

Tools you will need:

1. Chain saw
2. Block and tackle (6" triple block)
3. Hand winch or come-along
4. Alaska saw mill
5. Hammer
6. Sledge hammer
7. Brace and bits (if you don't have electricity)
8. 1/2" electric drill
9. 100' of chain (3/8" in 10' lengths)
10. 600' polypropylene rope 1/2" diameter
11. Carpenters level
12. Hand level for shooting elevations (or Abney level)
13. Rebar cutter
14. Pick and shovel
15. Post hole digger
16. 50' tape measure
17. Peavey
18. Swede hook
19. Carpenters square
20. Scriber
21. Chisel set
22. Bark spud
23. Digging bar
24. Log dogs
25. Plumb bob
26. Calipers
27. Chalk line
28. 30' extension ladder
29. Construction knife
30. Portable generator (if no electricity avail)
31. 10" 'C' clamps
32. Putty knife
33. Mortar board
34. Portable concrete mixer (nice to have but not required)
35. 1000' white string

StressMan79
03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
nice list... you don't need things like calipers/scribe. You may or maynot need the roper and all of that chain. The brace/bits will be a huge workout. You'll be making no less than 660 ft of holes. I suggest an electric alternative (a regular drill will die well before you get done). You may not need the swede hook or the come along or block and tackle. If you do use BnT, you'll need a couple of snatch blocks...

You'll likely want a couple of chainsaws, several spuds, two peavies (cant hooks) and basically all the stuff you would generally want for any other construction. You may want several sledges...

Oh, and if you buy a car on EBAY, you'll be stuck with it, if you take the class and are disappointed, you can ask for your money back--all you pay for is a vacation to Vegas.

Not a bad deal.

panderson03
03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
good start. some comments below. others will hopefully add their comments as well

1. Chain saw 2 chain saws a good sized gas one and a wimpy electric one
2. Block and tackle (6" triple block)
3. Hand winch or come-along several would come in handy
4. Alaska saw mill optional
5. Hammer
6. Sledge hammer short handled; at least 2, three would be better (when you break a handle on one of the others...)
7. Brace and bits (if you don't have electricity)
8. 1/2" electric drill a REALLY good one (with an extra bit or 2)
9. 100' of chain (3/8" in 10' lengths)
10. 600' polypropylene rope 1/2" diameter
11. Carpenters level
12. Hand level for shooting elevations (or Abney level) battery operated self-leveling laser level comes in handy
13. Rebar cutter
14. Pick and shovel
15. Post hole digger
16. 50' tape measure
17. Peavey at least 2
18. Swede hook
19. Carpenters square
20. Scriber
21. Chisel set
22. Bark spud at least a half a dozen (at least) of different kinds/lengths/etc
23. Digging bar
24. Log dogs
25. Plumb bob
26. Calipers
27. Chalk line
28. 30' extension ladder
29. Construction knife
31. 10" 'C' clamps
32. Putty knife
33. Mortar board
34. Portable concrete mixer (nice to have but not required)
35. 1000' white string

Timberwolf
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I know the thing about this place is to get people to take the class, but jeez its hard to not get any information out of it before hand.

There's plenty of info to be had on the non-members side, it's just that you need to start changing the way you think, and read and feel before it becomes obvious.

As for that list of tools you need, I can tell you what I did use.

Tools you will need:

1. Chain saw Yup 3.
2. Block and tackle (6" triple block) Nope, not a chance
3. Hand winch or come-along Oh yes!
4. Alaska saw mill No!
5. Hammer yup, several
6. Sledge hammer - yup, and a whole bunch of handles!
7. Brace and bits (if you don't have electricity) - Ack! No!
8. 1/2" electric drill - yup, destroyed 3 before I smartened up. Save yourself the trouble.
9. 100' of chain (3/8" in 10' lengths) Chain, yes, just heavier and less of it.
10. 600' polypropylene rope 1/2" diameter Same as chain.
11. Carpenters level - You trying to level a log house? Ok yeah, for the basement
12. Hand level for shooting elevations (or Abney level) - Eyeballs1
13. Rebar cutter - yup yup
14. Pick and shovel - shovel yes, pick no.
15. Post hole digger - Nope.. not yet anyway.
16. 50' tape measure - yup, and a 25' and a 100' and a bunch of others.
17. Peavey - yes
18. Swede hook - I had to look up what this was.
19. Carpenters square - same as levell.
20. Scriber - no.
21. Chisel set - I used a chisel
22. Bark spud - definately
23. Digging bar - nope
24. Log dogs - nope
25. Plumb bob - nope
26. Calipers - nope
27. Chalk line - yup
28. 30' extension ladder- yup, and a 40', 15' a couple of 25's
29. Construction knife - sure
30. Portable generator (if no electricity avail) yup.
31. 10" 'C' clamps - nope
32. Putty knife not yet
33. Mortar board - not yet
34. Portable concrete mixer (nice to have but not required) - not yet
35. 1000' white string[/QUOTE] - Nope, I used pink. ;-)

I guess the point of that is, it depends... alot on what you do, and what changes for you... after you take the class. ;-)

BillnChristi
03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Much appreciated!

rocklock
03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I know the thing about this place is to get people to take the class

I have a slightly different opinion... That should not be a big surprise... For me, the public side is to allow individuals the knowledge to make a informed decision about spending a significant amount to gain knowledge about log home building.

I am uncertain where you got this list but there are many things that are wrong. I would not like individuals to buy stuff that in the end will not work. This is in my experience and does not in any way address what is taught in class. Much is what I have already opined on.

1. Chain saw (two - one which will easily cut every log with out readjustment. One smaller, lighter, easily carried.)
2. Block and tackle (8" triple block is much better, much less losses due to friction). In fact, a triple and a double will work well if you have a truck pulling it.
3. Hand winch or come-along - nah...
4. Alaska saw mill -nah...
5. Hammer (Many hammer - in fact I even have a titanium hammer)
6. Sledge hammer -> I bet most homes are built with an eight pound sledge. We have two 10 pounders. Then we got serious and bought a 20 pounder (Hartwicks in Seattle)
7. Brace and bits -> don't even think about it! Get a generator.
8. 1/2" electric drill -> 11 amp right angle drill only will work. Period.
9. 100' of chain (3/8" in 10' lengths) -> lots of out stuff replace most of the chain.
10. 600' polypropylene rope 1/2" diameter - IMHO the smallest poly is 5/8. I have 1/2 inch for personal safety, but if logs are being lifted get bigger stuff.
11. Carpenters level -> I have at least 5 or 6 levels including a water level.
12. Hand level for shooting elevations (or Abney level) -> when used correctly an accurate surveying tool. Or for small jobs a story pole will work extremely well.
13. Rebar cutter - if your manually cutting rebar, this is possibly the dumbest idea ever.
14. Pick and shovel -> yea
15. Post hole digger -> yea
16. 50' tape measure -> Why 50 feet? To heavy for daily use, too short for those really big jobs... I carry a 10 foot mini rule in my pocket and have many that are about 30 feet and a 100 and 300 footer. I have probably 30 measuring devices -> make that about 50 if your including angles.
17. Peavey -> yes and cant hook works well
18. Swede hook -> no way
19. Carpenters square
20. Scriber -> no way... Later on, we have used a small level with a compass to mark wood, drywall and the like.
21. Chisel set
22. Bark spud
23. Digging bar
24. Log dogs -> at least four.
25. Plumb bob
26. Calipers -> can be made and are neat.
27. Chalk line and chalk
28. 30' extension ladder -> you really need two with ladder jacks.
29. Construction knife - You need many - one with a hook blade.
31. 10" 'C' clamps -> There are many clamps that work better than "C's"
32. Putty knife
33. Mortar board
34. Portable concrete mixer (really nice to have for chinking)
35. 1000' white string

Log Home Pioneer
03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
"I am uncertain where you got this list but there are many things that are wrong. I would not like individuals to buy stuff that in the end will not work. "

I got it from http://ourloghouse.com/cgi-bin/olh.pl?00206

Those were notes taken by a student of Skip's Ellsworths class march 2-3 2002 Monroe Washington. Im not sure why they wouldnt work unless either the student took horrible notes and made a website linking people here and praising skip. Or the methods have evolved and these tools are no longer needed. I dont know I havent taken the class thats why I was asking :)

loghousenut
03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
The three most important tools on the job....

The banker:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/4th5thsilllog8-28-09081.jpg

The muscle:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20logs/Peeling%20logs/P1000904.jpg

The telehandler:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/Row710-31-09007.jpg

BillnChristi
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
LMAO, LHN! That looks like one shrewd banker, if you ask me! :)

rocklock
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I got it from http://ourloghouse.com/cgi-bin/olh.pl?00206

methods have evolved and these tools are no longer needed.

Very good! That's using your tools and the internet... I believe that there are things that have changed. My problem is that I took the class in 2004. I don't know what they are currently teaching. I presume that has changed. It was Ellsworth first time teaching the class. He did very good.

I remember trying to find a Swede Hook. I actually rented a rebar cutter/bender. My 6'4" 220 pound son had a great deal of difficulty whacking rebar, hence my comment about that devise.

AGAIN, This is in my experience and does not in any way address what is taught in class. Much is what I have already opined on.

dazedandconfused
03-08-2011, 05:24 PM
The telehandler looks awesome, did you rent yours LHN, is there any type of license needed? This seems to be the quicker way although of coarse more expensive, thanks

loghousenut
03-08-2011, 07:37 PM
The telehandler looks awesome, did you rent yours LHN, is there any type of license needed? This seems to be the quicker way although of coarse more expensive, thanks

The telehandler is all mine and so is the Banker! In class you'll learn how to do it all using only tools that will fit in the trunk of the Buick. There are a number of us who have broken tradition and found a way to use telehandlers and boom trucks for a bit of power assist. Learn how to do it the right way and we'll tempt you on the members side of the forum about whether or not to use power toys in your build.

Definately not necessary but definately really cool and a lot of fun! No license needed.