PDA

View Full Version : Spray paint warning

rreidnauer
02-20-2011, 07:51 AM
I'd like to share an experience I had so others don't find themselves in the same boat.

On Friday afternoon, I was covering graffiti on the back of our building at work, using Valspar interior/exterior spray paint. I was outside, and it was a bit breezy, so ventilation was not an issue. (though, I could smell paint while spraying) I used four cans before finishing. Afterwards, I noticed I had a little double-vision, but that passed fairly quickly, though, was disconcerting, since I never experienced any effects like that before.
However, I found I had a much worse side effect when I went to write something down and couldn't. My hand was shaking and experiencing small spasms when I went to write, making it impossible to write anything legible. I also noticed when I went to pinch my thumb and index finger together, I couldn't do so with any force, and my hand would begin to tremble and spasm again.
At first, I thought it may have just been physical fatigue from holding the spray can buttons down, but the effects persisted on for hours afterwards. (in fact, I'm still having some signs after nearly 48 hours) It's obvious now that it was neurological and not physical. The effects are passing, and I'm back to about 90%. I expect I'll get back to 100% in time.

The concern I have is, I never used Valspar spray paint before. I have used plenty of Rustoleum spray paints and never had any side effects, as well as a mix of other chemicals (acetone, mineral spirits, brake cleaners, etc) and also never had any side effects. The effects of the Valspar were nearly immediate. (the time it took to use up four cans) I will not use their spray products again. There is something really bad with their stuff, and I won't chance permanent damage.

rocklock
02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Rod... This may help. Let me put on my old Hazardous Materials Coordinator Hat.
I'm sure that you know that every hazardous material that an employee uses MUST have an MSDS available to the employee. With a internet this is now easy...
Below is what is in Valspar with out going through the paint products code and other stuff...
http://whatsinproducts.com/information.php?brandNo=22-003-073&PHPSESSID=430922af87a88211ed933b1678afd7dc
I noticed a big amount of xylene.. Some folks are really sensitive to this chemical...
http://www.hovensa.com/pdf/xylene.pdf
I think this may be the problem...
With the advent of water based exterior paints, you can avoid this chemical...
Take care...

dnwhansen
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Rod, your description of your symptoms could also be a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or even a very mild true stroke. I don't know your health history or if you have any specific risk factors. I do bet that you are not young and you are a little high mileage. It is unlikely that these chemicals caused your symptoms. Time association is not the same as causal association.

lilbluehonda
02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I've been painting for many years never experienced anything like that

loghousenut
02-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Hey Rod,

Don't know how I missed this thread for a week. If you happen to see your Doctor, could you ask him if he thinks I oughta screw my T&G flooring straight down from the top or angle them through the tongue? Ha ha.

I think you shoulda had those symptoms checked out by a guy/gal with a white coat and a degree. You were outside and had good ventilation. Assuming you have survived... Keep us posted.

edkemper
02-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Rod,

From a doctor? Get a check-up. What you describe is scary.

rreidnauer
02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
All better now, though it took a good solid 2-1/2 days to get back to 100%. I'm not that old (39) and I have a perfect track record on health. I don't believe it was stroke symptoms, though I see how it could be easily seen as such, especially knowing how symptoms were only effecting very specific actions. No, I'd bet a good wad of cash it was a reaction to the paint. (and like Dave said, likely the xylene) I won't be doing a repeat to confirm that, so it will forever remain unanswered.

If it wasn't for the improving conditions afterwards, i would have went to a doctor.

edkemper
02-25-2011, 12:17 PM
If the symptoms were caused by the fumes of the paint, you'll check out fine. If on the other hand, it was something more, the check-up could help us keep you around for a long time so we can enjoy you and profit from your continued help.

Just so you know, Dad had a TIA before he turned 40. A TIA is a stroke. Just a minor one without lasting damage. Dad made some minor changes in his life and died recently at 89 years old. But a possible precursor to problems in the future if you don't find out exactly what the symptoms were caused by.

Bottom line is we care about you and value your participation.

Now I'll get off your back my friend. <smile>