PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl windows or aluminum what types of windows are builders using?

slrrls
02-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Are vinyl windows safe to use or are aluminum safer.
I wonder about moisture collecting under the vinyl.

Shark
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Most residential windows are going to be wood or vinyl most likely. I've never heard issues with moisture and vinyl windows, ours have been fine for the couple years we've had the house done for...

WNYcabinplannin
02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm going with Fiberglass exterior, wood interior. I was told by a window pro installer the vinyl ones contract/expand a lot...?
They're gonna be the #2 expense behind what my roof was, but I didn't want to look at vinyl unless I was way over budget.

StressMan79
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I have both vinyl and frameless (a big picture window that I will just frame out in situ). There is something to be said for wood windows...you are building a wood house, They kindof just look right. Paul Kahle (do a google search) did his out of wood, cuz he didn't want plastic windows. much more expensive, but they look great and he's happy with them. Oh, I spent 25 bucks on a new milguard crank out for the bedroom and 50 for a used sliding glass door for the bedroom balcony. I got the rest free, including that big old frameless picture window (44x88 iirc). I actually have two. one of them is in the penthouse. See the "view" video for info on it.

slrrls
02-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Good, I can start watching for windows.
Thanks for the reply.

LogLover
03-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm going with Fiberglass exterior, wood interior. I was told by a window pro installer the vinyl ones contract/expand a lot...?
They're gonna be the #2 expense behind what my roof was, but I didn't want to look at vinyl unless I was way over budget.

Interesting - I have 3 brothers in the trades, 2 do nothing but install windows and doors. While not one will say they prefer the look of vinyl all have said the contraction/expansion thing is nonsense. Doesn't occur any more than in any window. That said --- wood interior and clad exterior is what I have been collecting