PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Iron Batteries

StressMan79
02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
sometimes called "nife." I had a source... but they are all gone now. she still has NiCad's but I don't want them. Does anyone have a source for NiFe batteries?

Thanks!

-Peter

rreidnauer
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
The only place I knew of was beutilityfree.com

StressMan79
02-02-2011, 08:25 AM
there is another one now...www.ironedison.com out of denver. still not cheap. like 10k after tax rebates for my 1500 AH system...

-Peter

edkemper
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Peter,

I'll trade you. My wheelchair batteries are about $1000 a piece. I use 8 12 volt batteries for my 24 volt chair. (Laptop type batteries) I may buy a new power chair that is 36 volts, so I'll have to buy 4 more batteries for a total of 12. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs37xn-QpKY )

Cruiser
02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Peter,

I work next door to a Liebert distribution facility. I will see what I can find out about returns, etc. that might be available and let you know.

slrrls
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
zappworks.com
nickel-iron-battery.com

slrrls
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.beutilityfree.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=129

Tom Featherstone
05-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Peter,

Another Great piece of information you've passed along, maybe the missing link in off grid systems. It doesn't suprise me that this knowledge has been buried...Gee, they might sell a lot less batteries if they lasted forever.

Not to question you or Rod, because you both know more than I'll ever know on this subject, but I don't understand the large systems you've layed out. We live off grid. We survived with 3 garden sized tractor batteries that provided charging for our cells and lighting. We will be starting from the bottom up in a small system. We don't plan on investing to heavily, because new stuff is coming available all the time now, at lower prices. This really is a question of "how much" do we need. If you think you need a system that runs like most people in town do, half the lights on in the house, two tv's on 24hrs a day, while doing laundry, then you'll have to spend big bucks to build that system.

We'll be using a combination of solar and wind. Starting with a Air X turbine and yet to be determined pv panel. You've solved the current problem "storage" the nickel iron battery.

I wonder why Edison and Ford didn't developed that electric car further?

Tom

rreidnauer
05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Generally, the oversizing is to take into account multiple "non-productive' days. (cloudy, rainy, whatever) Not terribly uncommon here in the Northeast to get a week straight of lousy weather. The last thing you want to do is regularly overdraw your battery bank, shortening it's life, and costing you more in the long run. One of the other unavoidable problems I must deal with is the power hungry septic pump motor. (1,560 watts, but I haven't calculated cycle time yet)

I will also be starting out with a smaller system, for just the camper, using just 1/3 of my panels (700w) for a 12v system, a 1800~2400w inverter, (mainly for the septic pump) and a handful of golf cart batteries. (other option is a smaller inverter for just lighting and such, and use a generator for the septic pump when the high water level alarm sounds)

Indeed, it's far easier and cheaper to conserve than it is to produce. But history has proven, you don't find too many folks downsizing a renewable energy system. ;-)

Foxfire7893
06-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi Peter, I am new to the site and am a seller of refurbished Edison - NiFe batteries. I am also working on complete new construction of these batteries and hope to have them on line by the first of the year. Funding plays a roll in this but we are hopeful with the team that we have in place. You can look at them and keep in mind that these are all American made and serviced. Once we have new manufacturing, we are hopeful to be able to bring the pricing down significantly but we won't know for sure until after the assembly is up and running. Right now the refurbishing takes a lot of time but new construction should be a lot faster. Feel free to contact me if your interested, I can get them to you a little cheaper than the website. I can also get the Batt's from be utility free but they are Chinese. Good batts but I try to stay local with as much as I can. You can see my batteries at www.ZappWorks.com But be sure and contact me personally rather than order off the website. Should you decide to talk with Steve there, be sure and tell him that Joseph sent you. I look forward to hearing from you and others for your battery needs. We also have some special wind mill and other technologies that we are working on. The windmills are ready now as well.