PDA

View Full Version : Have you start building in the past 12 months?

2012 Hopeful
01-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Wondering if any recent students have started building in the past year.

How's it coming? Any unexpected concerns that you wish you would have known before starting? Anything come up that cost more than you expected?

Looking forward to your help?

ChainsawGrandpa
01-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Started?
...well, no. Not started, but still building. I made a few mistakes, but #1 mistake on my list
is not living on the property. That has cost me several years. I build when I get some days
off, make a long commute, do a little construction, and drive home. Live onsite. It will save
a lot of time.

G'pa

StressMan79
01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I second the motion! Live onsite. my place is a short 7 hr drive...Even a 3 day weekend you only get one full day there. Oh, and bring your wife to class. Mine is still too comfy in the 'burbs, I couldn't get her to move up to the property full time as it is now... Don't stray from the class. I thought I had a better idea for what I wanted to do, and it will end up being harder and cost more money...The guys have done this. Skip built houses for 50 years. The methods are tried and trued.

ivanshayka
01-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Wondering if any recent students have started building in the past year.

How's it coming? Any unexpected concerns that you wish you would have known before starting? Anything come up that cost more than you expected?

Looking forward to your help?

I attended the class on Jan 15/16. I started prepearing logs (cut 25 trees down, made log rack, and started pealing), these logs are for 10X10 tool shed. I made little mistakes so far - pealing with a drawknife instead of spud, buying some new tools instead of used. I am hoping to get this shed done this summer, and in 2 years from now to start a 30X30 or 35X35 log home.
I used to think I knew a lot just following this site and asking questions, but untill you take the class you won't have the resources you need to build a log home.
good luck.
Ivan.