PDA

View Full Version : May Class and mind is about frying, can I really do this.

dazedandconfused
01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Look here is the skinny, I was super psyched to start this project beginning with attending the class in May, however the more I look at these homes the more I get intimated. Can I really do this? I have good work ethic and not much else. I see these people on the site doing this but I can't imagine me being able to complete one, I am looking at a somewhat modest home, 2 beds and a loft maybe 32*32 1st floor half loft on the second maybe like 1400 ft. I do know that I will attend the class then start with a small project first but the more I look at these things the more I get frustrated, can anyone here tell me they have just basic skills like real basic and are planning on building one. I have no construction experience. Not many tools to speak of, but I do have passion which I think counts but am I over my head? I plan on building this myself part time and on weekends in Pennsylvania. Please respond if you will work cheap ( free) and help me, just kidding but any encouragement would be great, thanks. Jason

edkemper
01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Better yet? Some on this site, that will likely share with you, never before swung a hammer or used a measuring tape. They did it. Are you less experienced than that? We have elderly builders, I qualify. We have young builders. We have some pretty terrific young ladies that have built theirs. Even a few older ones that have built theirs.
Can you do it? Not if you don't want to. Will you be able to do it in 2 months while renting? Probably not. I stress probably. Keep reading everything on this site. Get busy and finish it all before you take the class.
Can you do it? I say yes and I don't even know you yet but I (a gimpy old man) and my (almost 5 foot tall, almost 100 pound) wife will be doing it before long. We have the land and we just need the time to dedicate to the build.
Welcome aboard.

Shark
01-04-2011, 07:01 PM
We did it. I had never tiled a floor, framed a wall, installed cabinets, nailed joist hangers, or any of that other stuff before.
Break it down into small steps, then have a little party when you complete each one. Of course, building your own house, log house, from scratch, sounds quite intimidating. But think in small steps:
get land, get permits, driveway, foundation, stack logs, build roof, build floors, frame interior walls, plumbing & electric, finish work, tiles flooring, drywall, paint, toilets, & you move in. Not bad huh?
:)
We completed ours in about 2 years. Was it easy? No. Was it stressful some days? yes. Did we have arguments over some really dumb things? Of course. But our house is built & paid for, the class was the best thing we could have done.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HFplLoZMmaI/TPp_qxd2tjI/AAAAAAAAAw8/YXH5xhZbFGk/s1600/snow_house_Dec2010.jpg

loghousenut
01-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Can you do it??? What are you NUTS? Of course you can do it. We've got dumb ones, smart ones, fat ones, skinny ones, handicapped in many ways ones, too young ones, and too old ones. Heck we've even got female ones! Haha. Rich or poor doesn't matter. Neither does your race or Country of birth (mine is Libya). Married or single won't matter but if you're married (or even just pretending to be married), you'd better both be committed to being on the same page til you're done or til one of you kills the other one.
If these guys can do it anyone can! Take the class and it'll probably change your life. Take your spouse with you unless you really want to change your life without her/him changing his/her life.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20logs/Peeling%20logs/P1000898.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/walllogs9-09019.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010441.jpg

dazedandconfused
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Loved your house and you guys never did any real construction work?, Ok I feel a little better, would you guys recommend waiting to buy land to find out in the class if I am purchasing the wrong type etc?

bmurphy96
01-05-2011, 06:12 AM
My wife and I have visited and Shark's place is great looking inside and out. They have much to be proud of.
We are building down in NW Florida -- have the roof up and will be staining in the next few weeks then begin interior work. We didn't have any construction experience either. I would say we are doing fine so far. This forum is a great help when you become a member. It's a lot of hard work, but you can do it at your own pace and there is often help available.
I wouldn't buy land before going to the class, but nothing wrong with looking. We looked for over half a year before we bought. If something is available right now, it will most likely still be there when you get done with the class.

keith

dazedandconfused
01-07-2011, 08:27 PM
So have you guys experienced others willing to help, It appears that many are out west, here in Pa I am not sure I would have the same volunteers, any ideas thanks.

loghousenut
01-08-2011, 12:21 AM
So have you guys experienced others willing to help, It appears that many are out west, here in Pa I am not sure I would have the same volunteers, any ideas thanks.

It seems like there are always folks wanting to help out. It'll be no different back East than it is out West. Folks are folks and some of them will be there for you whether you want them or not. I am one of those guys who really likes working alone as long as I am not in a hurry (and I am not in a hurry), but it has been a blessing at times to have people literally THROW their hard earned sweat at our humble log home project.

Some of your volunteer labor will be from your LHBA brothers and sisters but there will always be friends, neighbors, and folks who heard about "That log house they're building out past the old schoolhouse". That'll be you. Feed them well and don't be cheap about paying the occasional casual laborer who is trying to make his rent payment.

mytkoalacowboy
01-08-2011, 02:03 AM
You can do it. Join up. With a money back guarantee, all you have to lose is the adventure.

mtnstorm
01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
In the student built homes section, check out Pam's house. It says she had no prior construction experience. Maybe your good work ethics plus being methodical, precise, and artistic? I'm in the same boat as you are but keep telling myself that the pioneers did it, so hey! A lot to learn, but it's fun.

Shark
01-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the nice comments!

There are many ways to learn what you need, from just searching online, to taking free classes at the local home store (tile etc you know). If there are things you aren't comfortable with, just sub them out. Find a local guy who is trustworthy & does good work & go from there. We had guys come in to do the driveway/digging, plumbing, electric, & roof.
Sometimes time is money, the quicker we finished, the less we had to continue paying rent. It's a balance.

This spring will be 2 years living in our house, very fun.

PeeCee
01-24-2011, 04:02 AM
People have been building their own homes for millennia...

...and they didn't have the course or the forum. Just think what you can do with all that plus modern tools!

dazedandconfused
01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks PEE really in Japn, you have taken the class and are building/ built a lg home

PeeCee
01-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm in Osaka. My brother and I took the Las Vegas class in October, 2009. I'm just getting started on a small shed/guesthouse. I'm practicing on a small one first. Sewage and water are getting connected in a couple weeks.

ChainsawGrandpa
01-29-2011, 07:36 PM
D & C...

You really need to find some members in your area and help them stack logs. There is NOTHING like hands-on experience. Of course one problem with working on a log house before the class is that you will be climbing the walls just waiting for the class to happen.

I had built houses in the past. My first job was to un-learn a lot of conventional thinking, then learn how to build a better house for a lot less money than the B&B (bankers & bureaucrats) tell you what it should cost.

G'pa

mrgripe
01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Dazed,

I could have written the exact same post as you did after I took the class: never did anything remotely like this...never even really handled a chainsaw before I started my project. But in my heart I knew I wanted to to try to build my own BNP log home, and even though its taken about three years (my build-site is about three hours away from where I live) I am seeing the finish line and I wouldn't trade the whole experience for the world. If you're willing to put in the hours, you can get it done. The skills you need will come rapidly every step along the way, and you'll learn so much practical knowledge too. The irony about it is that by the time you get really good at one particular thing, that part of the project is over and you're on to the next challenge!

Wrapping up the interior over the winter, and hitting the roof trim and gable ends as early as I can after the Spring thaw! Good luck, I hope you decide to take the journey...Ryan

2012 Hopeful
01-31-2011, 05:27 AM
Wow! Beautiful home. Coongrats! I can't wait to get started.

2012 Hopeful
01-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Where are you in PA? I will be in Michigan this summer, perhaps I could help some.

2012 Hopeful
01-31-2011, 05:45 AM
Many of the homes in the student section are intimidating, but they were possible and they were completed. They started as a dream in their heads. You do have a dream, don't you? I know how you feel, we're in the same boat. However, if you will allow a little intimidation, difficulties or issues that will arise stop you from pursuing your dream, you will never be content or satisfied with your situation down the road. You will always wonder, "what if...". I'm 40 years old and have wanted to have a log home for my family for 10 years now but fell into the trap of believing you had to go about things the way "the industries" tries to steer you. That means pay them the BIG $$$ so you can have it. I'm so glad I would this site and a place where there are people who think like I do (at least in some areas). If you have your nose in the Log Home magazines out there, you will begin to believe that you CAN'T do it. Well, as the old timers say "Can't never did nothin'!" and they are right. I wish I would have taken the chance (or call it risk if you'd like) years ago but I didn't. I'm not going to wait until I'm 50...then 60...and so on. I want my family to enjoy it now and allow my grandchildren to experience it as they grow up. Did you see the picture of that old timer in the photo above, I would wager that he wishes he would have done it sooner, but in his case, it's better late than never. Jump in the water is fine.

Scoutman
01-31-2011, 05:54 AM
D & C...

You really need to find some members in your area and help them stack logs. There is NOTHING like hands-on experience. Of course one problem with working on a log house before the class is that you will be climbing the walls just waiting for the class to happen.

G'pa

Grandpa, I guess y'all can make the suggestion for us to find members in the area. I tried to find some local in my area and with an offer to help. I guess I violated a rule and my post was deleted. So I still can't find anyone.

panderson03
01-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Many of the homes in the student section are intimidating, but they were possible and they were completed. They started as a dream in their heads. You do have a dream, don't you? I know how you feel, we're in the same boat. However, if you will allow a little intimidation, difficulties or issues that will arise stop you from pursuing your dream, you will never be content or satisfied with your situation down the road. You will always wonder, "what if...". .... Jump in the water is fine.
someone on this site said 'fear is temporary; regret is permanent'. a lot of wisdom there.

panderson03
01-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Grandpa, I guess y'all can make the suggestion for us to find members in the area. I tried to find some local in my area and with an offer to help. I guess I violated a rule and my post was deleted. So I still can't find anyone.

yeah Scout, finding and helping members is only allowed for members:( I made the same mistake when I was a newbie:) keep in mind though the cost of the class is REFUNDABLE if you do not think the class was worth it. sure makes it easier to take the leap, knowing that!

Scoutman
01-31-2011, 06:34 AM
I KNOW that I will not be seeking a refund. But I'd sure like to see a member's home. I see alot of post from members telling us to find members in our area. But we can't.

panderson03
01-31-2011, 07:14 AM
yeah; frustrating!!

greenthumb
01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Jason, I stumbled on this old post. Can you even remember questioning whether you could do this? Judging from some of your recent posts, you've accomplished a lot in the last year!

jasonfromutah
01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I'll bet a lot of Pioneers from England and Denmark didn't know a lot about building when they founded the community I live in.
However, it was either figure it out, or live in a dugout. Given what I have read, and also common sense, most of these Settlers
decided to "figure it out". Heck, they didn't have electricity, plumbing, hand tools, hardware stores, tele handlers etc....

They did have one thing though- A Desire and Strong Work Ethic!!

Its unfortunate we live in a world where people tell us we cannot do something.

You can do it! You will be amazed at how many people will start to believe in what you are doing, when that roof goes on. When you get
confused on something, post a question in the Members forum. You will get great help.

If you can work hard, you will trump most of the so called "Intellegent" people of the world!!!!!

Mosseyme
01-16-2012, 01:00 PM
The silence is deafening